[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 69 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Tell me your experience getting into and mastering this game. What did you think you were getting into — and what did you realize you were actually getting into after playing it a while? What was the time investment to git gud, and looking back was it worth it? What’s the main roadblock that would cause you to lose or bang your head against the wall until you figured it out? Shit like that.
>>
>>749949
Main roadblock? Being able to read every word the dev intended you to read so you can understand all the quirks and abstractions.

Alot of people rely heavily on GUI to interoperate what is going on in the game so i assume that would be a huge hurtle to make for most people.

I just read the manual one day when i was bored, got intrigued by the backstory and lore of the setting and decided to give it another go, and got hooked after my first major war with a major AI regime.

I thought i was getting a hardcore Civ + HoI baby, mixed with mad max and honestly thats exactly what i felt i recieved, looking back.

I had a hard time though understanding some of the core abstractions but once you read the manual it clears everything up for you so you actually know what your doing when your starting a new game, because i know alot of people will look at the game and quit on turn 1 just because they get overwhelmed.
>>
>>749949
At first I was very impressed, but I was disillusioned when I realized the combat was dumb, the economy boils down to just getting as much metal and people as you can and the political decisions revolve around fulfilling as many of the insane desires of your subordinates as you can. Even the logistics, which is what this game is supposed to be best at, are retarded when a single alien ape parking its fat ass on top of a road can fuck up your whole post-apocalyptic warlord domain.
>>
>>750246
>, the economy boils down to just getting as much metal and people as you can and the political decisions revolve around fulfilling as many of the insane desires of your subordinates as you can.

So you mean just like in real-life?
>>
>>750292
The economy in real life is much more complex than that. For example nobody in real life produces mountains and mountains of useless "rare" metals.
>>
>>750301
I think your having a hard time understand the definition of "abstraction"

Also your getting alot of rare metals because your playing on one of the easier difficulties thats guarantees ruins to spawn next to you.
>>
>>750320
I get abstractions just fine. I was just disappointed that in an economic model with many different resources there is only one that actually matters, instead of different resources imposing different constraints on you depending on your environment and strategic situation.

The problem with the model of the game is not that there are ruins available at easy difficulties. The problem is that in a real economy nobody would bother to collect the rare metals from a ruin if there is no demand for such material. They would instead focus their efforts on the valuable ordinary metals and leave the rares in the ruins, at least until the demand for such material increased.
>>
How is the MP? Is there even one?
>>
>>750331
I think your being a bit too critical.
Metals cover all basic alloys, and rares are for any more advanced structures or units.
It works just fine. early game rare metals are actually "rare" as you progress towards late game they become more common.

Expecting a fully fledged economy with all kinds of alloys is a bit unrealistic. Atleast the economy is actually REAL and not just abunch of predetermined values like on other games.
Playing on planets with no mountains makes metals and rare metals scarce, driving their demand up and vice versa.

Whereas any other game their economy is entirely on rails
>>
>>750381
You seem to have completely misunderstood my complaint. I am not complaining that the game has just two metal resources instead of making more distinctions between types of metals. I am complaining that I am always limited by my access to metal, never by my access to water, food or fuel.
>>
>>750238
Thanks fren this puts me in the right headspace. Always big on RTFM, even better knowing it’s actually achieving something.
>>750451
Is metal really the only resource constraint regardless of map type? That seems unlikely and maybe user driven, but it would be a bummer if true for all
players and scenarios.
>>
File: 1621647670908.png (52 KB, 532x512)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>>749949
Data mining for VIC?
I got into it because I saw the ad saying it was coming out soon in the Sliterine launcher and checked out some channels that had early copies on youtube.
It was my first wargame. It was fun to master and really all you need to do is read the fucking manual for the most part. There are some things that aren't in there, like advanced damage/model development calcs but Vic did eventually put them out on the forums.
Fun game.
>>
>>750841
>3000 page
bro its couple 100 calm down
>>
>>750451
prospect harder.
get more recon over more hexes
theres many things you can do to find more metal
>>
>>750331

>I was just disappointed that in an economic model with many different resources there is only one that actually matters, instead of different resources imposing different constraints on you depending on your environment and strategic situation.

>>750451

>I am complaining that I am always limited by my access to metal, never by my access to water, food or fuel.

The game gives you an autistically detailed planet generation feature for exactly this reason. Why do you complain about the abundance of water and food when you most likely play on temperate worlds with plenty of rainfall and established pre-war farming communities? If you play on a dry desert planet without water, or on a moon without atmosphere you will have real issues with water and food. As the game scales up in tech and towards giant wars you will also be put under huge strain to feed your production facilities with metal, rares and oil. This is best experienced in MP when you actually have a pressing need to put several divisions of tanks on the field every turn, as opposed to fighting an AI that crumbles like a wet towel against numerically inferior forces. You can easily spend thousands of metal every turn in reinforcements, and suddenly all those fuel, energy and resource buildings and techs you thought irrelevant become incredibly important.
>>750365

There is MP and it is quite fun (basically how the game should be played), there's a discord server where these things are organized. It does require time and commitment to keep games going though.
>>
>>749949
I thought it was some kind of mad max + fallout+civ combo "try to survive and fight for resources while fighting all kind of remnants, savages, mutants and wild fauna", but planet conditions have much less effect than I was hoping, resources are too easy to obtain and hostile fauna is more annoying than dangerous.
Main roadblock was logistics UI, not logistics. And the absolute worst part of the game is leader management: rng combined with cards and emo leaders overreacting to everything while at the same time having a huge impact in your empire is a dog shit mechanic. I went through entire games without a single good city admin and with half of the council filled with retards.

Still enjoyed the 200 hours I played, but I doubt I'll come back
>>
>>749949
I must have unironically spent over 5, 10 hours watching many of DasTactic's videos on youtube, and reading the manual. I think my total playtime is 60 hours at this point. I just can't find myself sitting at a computer screen playing these sorts of games for long hours any more - Shadow Empire just might have put the nail in the coffin for me as far as having long gaming sessions is concerned. now I am reading and back to playing guitar. so I guess thanks Vic for getting me off of my computer
>>
File: sem.png (527 KB, 579x878)
527 KB
527 KB PNG
>>752701
Bro...

>>749949
I always tell anons just to watch "The Edmon" Youtube quickstart tutorial and just start playing, use the manual as a reference. Learning is fun but know you'll only just have the basics down about 20 hours in.

It's a wonderfully unique strategy game, worth it for any fan of the genre with the time/interest to dig into it. The mix of 4x and wargame is just so unique and satisfying. I will say I find myself playing it less and less as it is a very time consuming/unwieldy game. I'm really looking forward to a possible sequel that hopefully smooths off the rough edges.
>>
>>755095
>. And the absolute worst part of the game is leader management: rng combined with cards and emo leaders overreacting to everything while at the same time having a huge impact in your empire is a dog shit mechanic. I went through entire games without a single good city admin and with half of the council filled with retards.

Yeah.
>>
>>749949
Is the dev still active? I thought it was finished.
Anyway if this is a covert data gathering for vic my 2cents: too much micromanagement and rng.
>>
>>755456
Vic is still working to add naval combat/ocean planets which could be a huge improvement if only because it could make less huge/tedious land wars by concentrating everything to continents. Also some optimizing.

Agree with you on micromanagement, but what are you referring to with rng? If you mean on planet generation I totally disagree tbt.
>>
>>755902
leaders, cards and card effects, some pretty devastating city events come to my mind, I haven't played in quite a while though, maybe I'm wrong.

Oh and please some kind of preview of the tank/etc specs.
>>
>>755095
Leader management is despicable. The game massively incentivizes autistically shuffling highly skilled leaders into important positions (putting IV/V leaders into SHQ and research director slots), and puts hurdles in place to keep me from doing that quickly and easily (leader disapproval when firing other leaders, and high PP costs to fire leaders). That's fine. The problem is that it also makes getting rid of useless leaders fairly important (so that the good ones are selectable on the leader select screen), but hiring and filtering leaders is a huge click fest. It doesn't drain my resources or anything, it's just a pain in the ass to hire a guy, check his rating, and then retire him if he's a tier I leader. In terms of gameplay that's the incentivized and preferred way to proceed, but it's disincentivized by how tedious it is, which is bad game design.
>You're not supposed to micromanage it like that
You're literally supposed to micromanage it like that, otherwise you might as well not have the option to hire/fire leaders at all.
>>
I am very much still a newbie, but god damn when i managed to develop my first planes i was hooked.
>>
>>756132
OP here. I put 10-15 hours in and noticed this problem as well. UI for leaders is unintuitive, to put it charitably. Deliberately obtuse, to put it accurately. It’s like there was a design decision to bury you, the player, in reports and paperwork to further “simulate” the fragmented information and advice a supreme leader would face. Because bureaucracy means reading a whole lot of reports from a whole lot of agencies with their own agendas. Fun? No. Realistic? Not really, no. Because in real life, a dictator would behead any asshole who prepared reports the way they are made here. And there is zero way to improve the way information is presented to you and can be acted upon, maybe the first thing a leader can and would actually control from day one. If you are going to go realistic at least do cost / benefit or SWOT analyses, something that is conducive to decision flow and not decision paralysis.
Generally there is an uncomfortable tension between the micro level detail you are called upon to solve (logistics, unit design) and macro mechanics that are buried behind other mechanics that obscure decisions / information at much higher levels of generality, and that typically would be found within the domain of a supreme leader (info on what unit you are fighting, “strategems” that depend on subordinate skill rolls to accomplish basic 4x shit like scouting, taxes and diplomacy). That leads to some awkward and frustrating searches for the way to accomplish things indirectly you expect to be able to do directly, and awkward and frustrating realizations that you are expected to manually deal with things that most games handle under the hood.
Still, I started playing with the mindset recommended by anons here and remain fascinated by the game. I do feel that when things don’t go my way, it is “my fault” somehow that could have been avoided. That is alluring. It is a hurtbox. Basically it’s the 4chan of games.
>>
>>756543
>I do feel that when things don’t go my way, it is “my fault” somehow that could have been avoided.
This is one of the reasons the turns get so tedious, often it is "your fault" because if you read the right report buried at the bottom of the Report tab, you may have known some small issue was snowballing - but do you really want to read a bunch of excel tables on taxes/logistic distribution every single turn? The game often punishes you for not doing so, so it's a fun vs "winning" situation.

I am surprised how much people are bothered by the leader management, it is unfair and clumsy but at least you can just assign crappy leaders and the game proceeds suboptimally, to me its nothing compared to logistics which becomes the majority of your turns after the midway point in a game. What is pushing you to try and power up your leaders so hard, are your mayors causing unrest or something?
>>
>>756806
another anon but yeah i noticed this also
its just bothersome and tiresome and what is most important not fun at all
>>
Did the devs ever fix the stupid logistics system? Specifically how every road junction would eat half your logistics on that road even if there was nothing on one side of that junction.
>>
>>756543
There are really a few tabs that matter.
Overview: see your word score and civ score.
Cabinet: mostly redundant due to the organizations tab, but needed to set advisors if you bother with that.
Personnel: to check that you have IV/Vs employed as SHQ and research directors.
Treasury: see how much money you lost on this turn.
Demands: see how long you have left.
Victory: see which major you should attack next.
Organizations tab: used to micro your research directors.
There's really no need to check anything else. Muh factions, muh corporation, you can ignore these completely and you'll never notice a difference in gameplay, that's how unimportant those features are.
>>
>>749949
>seen anons posting about shadow empire on 4x /vg/ general
>lots of depth and pretty pictures
>shame about the blacks though
>buy the game anyway
>spend a few weeks playing it late into the night
>units felt like real assets instead of fodder
>satisfying sieges and artillery
>had fun building railroads to connect distant cities
>managing staff was annoying as fuck with no real benefits
>illusion begins to fade as I realize AI just ignores logistics and staff management
>they had free dirt roads all over everywhere
>tired of painting the map in traffic signs every turn
>stop playing and haven't played since
It was fun while I was ignorant.
>>
How do I defeat a major who has a full city of medium armor and infantry on his capital? Do I just fill up the four land tiles around with with tanks and cycle my attacks until I win?
I don't want to bomb it into oblivion because they have a cloner. The alternative is waiting around until I have a huge tech advantage but I want that cloner.
>>
>>755158
>>
>>749949
I can live with cards, unintuitive logistics, autistic overmanagement of everything, but what irks me more is how AI plays by wildly different rules than payer, and everyone is out for your blood first and foremost over interacting with each other.
>>
>>756971
>>757049
>>756980
>>757064

You gotta be above room-Temp IQ in order to play this game, sorry kids back to your console.
>>
>>758248
I understood how logistics worked, it was just retarded. The way logistics worked before, you would dispatch half your trucks down a junction with nothing there. For what reason would any logistics officer ever do this? Sure you can gate off that branch from logistics, but that requires you to monitor every road in your empire to make sure you're not leaking logistics, and on the frontline it's going to require adjustments every turn.
>>
Does this game have combined arms like Navy and Air force?

If so this might be a perfect contemporary era nation-building/war simulator.
>>
>>749949
Something about it just kept dragging me back. I tried it months ago with no patience and gave up. But I've had a hankering for games with a lot of depth and detail, so I gave it another go.
I desperately want to love this game. It is both boring and enthralling at the same time. It's a chore to play, movie on the side type of game but also engaging, I can't stop thinking about it or looking forward to more progress. I want to play this exact game with this exact complexity but also I want at least 7 people to dev it. I've tried heroes of might and magic, civ vi, dominions 4, but nothing does it. I hated the paradox games, though. Stars in shadow is pretty good but dead simple, Stellaris is soulless and boring but at least somewhat complex.
I just can't catch a break. I NEED this too be a genre.
>>
>>758316
Might just be me, but aircraft has been buggy as shit so I never bothered with them.
>>
>>758248
>hurr durr
i know how it works and I can deal with it but seriously your logistic 'net' is worse if its actually net and not a line
where is the sense in that?
also
>that organisation model both for units and formation
the only room-Temp IQ is you for not getting why there are people here that are tired of dumb shit
>>
>>758335
>paradox
>games
>>
I've got the gog version, does it mean I can't get the bega patch?
>>
>>758462
You just answered to rick&morty iq pasta tier meme/bait, how does it make you feel?
>>
>>758827
i assumed that you are not retarded
my mistake
>>
>>758316
yes, but naval is not yet implemented, although the Dev said that its coming this fall.
>>758421
>im too retarded to know how to make decent aircraft designs
>>
>>759342
Actually I'm just too retarded to check what thread I'm in. I thought this was a Humankind thread.
>>
>>752701
Bro it's a meme image. Like I said in my post. I read the manual. I love reading manuals and the fall of manuals in games makes me upset - almost as upset as the patching culture in the industry does when it renders manuals instantly obselete and no one updates them. God bless Vic.
He still should have included those damn calcs somewhere - I shouldn't have to forum dive to properly understand the effect of each element of model design.
>>
>>756980
Yes but the old logistics system is how it's meant to be played and still an option when starting a game. I will use the new system when I'm lazy but to think the old system is bad is bonkers and indicates that you did not understand what those points represented. Truck points are an abstaction of coverage not - LMAO TRUCKS DRIVE HERE.
>>
>>759539
If they represented coverage, I should have 100% of trucks on both sides of the junction at the start (up to the limit of the road obviously), because if I sent 100% of my trucks on either side then I would 100% coverage on that side.
>>
So I fully read the manual and I haven't bought it yet.

I'm thinking of buying this game because I really like the mechanics.
>>
>>760097
It's basically all mechanics, so if you're intrigued I'd say go for it. Hard to think of any game devs more deserving of your dosh than Vic
>>
>>749949
this game was interesting, what is it about? is it good?
>>
>>760297
Interstellar empire collapses, and every planet goes to shit. You play as a country on one of these planets just barely leaving the post-apocalypse dark age, and now you try to conquer the planet.
>>
>>760097
Dude just buy it and start playing games.
You can read the manual all day and night but until you actually get behind the wheel and start seeing the mechanics in play, your gonna be cluecless.

>>759653
Hotkey 6

>>759401
Yeah your in the wrong thread for sure dude lol
>>
>>759539
literally havent even played the "new" logi system.
>>
>>760827
>Hotkey 6
That doesn't fix the logistics system. It doesn't matter if my units can pick up supplies if I'm not sending them any to begin with, because for some reason I sent all my trucks down the wrong road.
>>
>>749949
Question, do independent assets, all these brothels, powerplants, laboratories, wrecks and what not that you can find on a worldmap need to be connected *by road* to logistical network to work, or just be covered by the zone?
>>
>>762242
No, they don't need to be connected.
>>
How dense should my cities be? I'm trying to put one down about 12-14 hexes from each other, basically just every place I put a truck station.
>>
>>762396
Do what you want but don't put your truck stations in cities, or at least don't have your roads go through the truck station cities. Cities just have to be 4 tiles away from each other and administrative strain kicks in if you have assets more than 6 tiles away from a city. 12 tiles away is fine for that, but there's no overall penalty for putting them close to each other, other than that your citizens will need a farm for each of them.
>>
>>763178
>Do what you want but don't put your truck stations in cities, or at least don't have your roads go through the truck station cities.
Why not?
>>
>>763235
Refocusing penalty
>>
>>763248
Sorry, I'm still very green to all of this, how should I go about colonization then?
>>
>>763264
Generally speaking a few big cities let you use your population more efficiently than many small ones. Each city must have some reason to exist before you create it. Resource exploitation buildings more than 6 tiles away from a city causes a penalty, so the control of nearby resources is a good reason to create a city. You can connect cities together with rail transport even over fairly long distances.
>>
>>749949
At first I thought this was a sci-fi wargame with randomly generated planets. After "mastering" the game I know I am actually playing a job training simulator as characters are more important than anything else in the game and some ideologies allow for major exp cheese.
>>
>>763235
Optimal play has truck and rail stations offset by (at least) one tile from the road/rail throughway, with a one-way traffic sign which prevents points from the throughway from flowing into the station's tile and triggering refocusing. This lets you build your logistics line without ever losing points to refocusing.
Considering cities, bigger cities are more efficient and let you concentrate skilled governors to maximize bonuses. Cities can be spaced out to large distances, if you build a good rail network (line, lol) you don't even need high level truck stations in your core cities, you just need a level 1 station to hit the surrounding assets with the requisite points.
>>
>>763846
How do you "cheese xp"? Meritocracy lets you hire higher level guys but I wouldn't call that "cheesing."
>>
>>763857
There is a card for improving cabinet members. Just playing this card once will grant your entire cabinet more xp than they would earn on a hundred rounds. The card is extremely common and at some point you will keep rolling critical successes on it. Add to that the xp card for wargames and governors who are played by the same dude you previously trained into godhood and all that is left is unearthing as many artifacts as possible whereas I would rate the cloning chambers as the absolutely best artifact.
>>
>>763924
Also let me add to the job training simulator aspect: I keep drawing as many character cards as possible in hopes of getting a great guy which causes me to spend like 90% of my government budget on paying for pensions of useless guys filling up the reserve pool before they get uppity(not like money is a problem past the early game).
>>
>>763926
>spend like 90% of my government budget on paying for pensions of useless guys filling up the reserve pool before they get uppity(not like money is a problem past the early game).
Just kill those guys.
>>
>>763940
Pretty sure assasination costs more pp than it's worth for small fry. You also need very high enforcement or authority which isn't a given.
>>
>>763926
>spent your PP on a massive horde of characters
>they eat all the gubmehnt funds
>they eventually revolt when the money runs out
Fucking boomers.
>>
>>763943
Put them as an OHQ leader and keep sending the OHQ unit alone to the enemy
>>
>>763248
>>763855
that sound dumb and non intuitive
i am disappointed
>>
Is reading the manual really enough to start playing? What are the recommendations on the starting options?
>>
>>764221
It's non-intuitive because the designer expected people to build a truck station, have it run to a supply station, be extended, and then build another truck station once the points from the first began dropping. Refocusing presumably was to stop people building truck station too closely or on every tile of a road or something. The response was just to build them off the road now.
>>
>>764420
the supply bases should have other function
like actually hold supplies(food/fuel/ammo) or extend supply range outside roads
>>
>>764429
What is "Tank Thread?"
>>
>>764462
ups
always forget to delete that shit
>>
dead game?
>>
>>764420
>It's non-intuitive because the designer expected people to build a truck station, have it run to a supply station, be extended, and then build another truck station once the points from the first began dropping.

truck stations just increase the amount of LP (logistical points) that can be be pushed out from your cities via your roads and railways.
Learn the game instead of believing your retarded criticisms are valid. Dont think this game is for you, fren.
>>
>>765195
>dead game?
Literally been playing it since launch.
Only people that claim its dead or bad are just angry at their inability to learn and play it so they project insecurity under the guise of "suggestive criticisms" when they haven't even finished 1 game.
>>
>>764326
yes fren, read the manual on your phone before you go to sleep, play a game, get rekt, repeat.
until your a boss and fighting 4-front wars with Walkers and Nuke launchers
>>
>>765201
>See I got a reply
>It's some retard baiting for (you)s
There, now you may nut.
>>
>>764429
>extend supply range outside roads
This would be cool, but ultimately not useful in 99% of situations because the goal is to advance which requires the road to be advanced as well.
>>
>>749949
I'm facing an issue.
EArlier in the game I had only one city covering some 20% of the globe, and ebcause that's not efficient, I've decided to build at elast one more city to cover most heavily exploited mining area and establish second zone. I connected it to capital via rail. Some time later, opportunity for easy conquest came up, I got two more cities relatively close, they are boviously far mroe developed, and the problem is that despite the fact I dumped ivnestment stratagems into City #2, despite maxxing woerker salary, public budget for the thing, I can't for the love of God get people to live and work there, and that crippled me economically. Other 3 cities house jointly 60% of planet' popualtion, but nobody wants to live in City #2, and they keep elaving it. I have less than third personnel to man mines and logistics there.
How the fuck do I convince these idiots? Not even sending waves of colonists works. I guess the problem is that city doesn't have as strong private ifnrastructure, but they don't seem to want to build it soon enough. What do?
>>
>>765765
Does your city have a high happiness? If the happiness is low or the danger is high they won't stay. Also if lots of people die there because of radiation or something. Private stuff doesn't matter if you're trying to get public workers there.
>>
>>765798
It has higher population happpiness than any other zone and higher or on par worker happiness (which is generally very low all over the board, ranges from 20-38). There's no radiation, there is still danger 9 lingering, prolly becuase I couldn't spare resources to convert few remaining neutral hexes around.
>>
>>765803
>>765798
Nevermind, checked wrong zone for danger, it doesn't have any danger anymore, though it sued to have a bit. I'm an idiot.
>>
>>765803
You need to get your worker happiness up. What's its civilization score like compared to the other cities? Are there jobs for the workers to do? I assumed they're public mines and not private ones.
>>
>>765765
Worker salary of 5 (i.e. .0005 or whatever) is sufficient for the entire game.
I'm guessing people are leaving the new town because it doesn't have food production yet and you didn't allow emergency food in that town.
>>
>>764326
They give you a manual for a reason you know.
>>
File: Scientist_01.jpg (12 KB, 320x320)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>749949
Anyone knows what basedchad Vic is planing to add to the game in the future/what he's working on currently if at all?
>>
>>767792
Some crap about navies that people keep begging for even though naval combat is universally shitty in games.
>>
>>767810
I mean it is kinda weird that oceans and seas are completely deprived of any importance and could as well be a black hole on the map, especially in game where you can have a lot of bodies of water.
I kinda wish he improved minors' AI first though, and added more itneractions with them, more variety of regimes beyond what we have. Making diplomacy with them more possible, maybe allow for some degree of integration into empire would be cool.
>>
>>767822
>especially in game where you can have a lot of bodies of water.
People pushing for navies generally think there is nowhere near enough water and want planets like earth that are like 80% ocean. Personally I think it's strange that flying, amphibious, and sea creatures aren't used, but at the same time, the game is so large scale oceans would be the only real way you could use navies. In a smaller scale game, you could have boats on some inner sea or river but here if you build a boat on a river, it'd only be able to go back and forth like 3 tiles. I really think being a sci fi game there should be an emphasis on hovering tanks or anti-gravity airships for naval equivalents. I don't know why boats would even still exist in their time.

>could as well be a black hole on the map
Oddly, one reason I've heard is that it will make it so there is less land to conqueror to win, even though you'd think they'd want navies so they had more spaces to fight.

>I kinda wish he improved minors' AI first though
I wish he at least made it so they fight each other instead of city-less minors waiting you for to pop their border cherry before they come flooding in.

>more variety of regimes beyond what we have
Such as? I can't really think of anything myself beyond what's there.
>peaceful farmers
>insane nuclear bomb worshiping religions
>freefolk militia
>mad max raiders
>slaver warlords
>mutant zombies
>pseudo-arachnids
>mongolians
>tribals
>AI overlords
>fukken aliens

>allow for some degree of integration into empire
What does this mean? They can be friends, they can be vassals, and you can absorb them. What else is there?
>>
>>767912
>What does this mean? They can be friends, they can be vassals, and you can absorb them. What else is there?
Most of them can't be befriended/absorbed/vassaled at all realistically, unless there's something that has not transpider in my limited experience with the game. Vast majority of these can't be reasoned with even if you cane xterminate them within a week, which is also really annoying inconvenience, you'd think you should be able to at least coerce minors like slavers and mutants to give up after mopping floor with them.Sentient xenos can be talked with, but even taht to very limited degree, and iirc most diplomatic cards flat out don't work on them.
I feel like there's a lot of potential to tap there with whacky sci-fi stuff. Off top of my head:
>Integrate sentient xenos into your regime to create multi-species nation
>Taming and farming wildlife, possibly for military applications too
>Some option to maybe establish mind control over species like arachnids.
>Annexing uncivilized minors as semi-autonomous zone
>Hacking Sentinel minors
And stuff like taht, some as rare events, some as special tech thingys, some as mainstay diplomatic option. point is most of minor are completely retarded and uninteractable with to a large degree.
>Such as? I can't really think of anything myself beyond what's there.
I dunno. More special preset xeno species like arachnids? Ruin dwelling remnants of GRs still employing GR grade tech to protect their bunkers? Nomadic traders? Mercernaries? New Vegas' Boomers style minors protecting decrepit airbases that still employ old remaining airforce? I feel like there's a lot of field for some more variety here that doesn't need all taht much of random gen stuff, but is "vanilla" enough not tos tand out too much.
>>
>>767930
Slavers will do event based diplomacy at least, which mostly involves you bribing them not to rape you. Aliens do have their own cards for some reason but they can still be made part of your empire. You actually have more interactions with aliens than the minors since once you get them able to understand you, you can ask them for mercenaries, give them gifts, and stuff like that directly in the meeting. They seem to be modeled after meeting with cults/corps/crime syndicates. Honestly minors should be made the same way as well, just give us a card to hold a meeting and we can discuss diplomacy options at the meeting. You can only play one diplomacy card a turn per minor/major anyway. Mutants, I think are just angry mutants. I think they should get mutant towns and your interactions with them limited to stopping them from reproducing, spawning more units, and eating/killing everyone they can get their hands on.

>Integrate sentient xenos into your regime to create multi-species nation
Your nation could already be that way, but what would be the ramifications of it? If its just soldiers, you can give them tech until they're on par with you then have them give you mercenaries.

>uninteractable with to a large degree.
I think people just don't engage with them much due to this game's card system and needing someone with a high diplomacy score. Most games, minors are just there to be conquered, at least the ones here expand a bit, can take cities, and have some level of diplomacy approaching that of majors. Just noticing your citizens are trading with one of them a lot and setting appropriate taxes and tariffs to make money off them is more than average. City-less minors are basically just the barbarians/pirates of other games, expecting to interact with them meaningfully is a bit much.

>I dunno.
Most of the things you named are way more specific than any existent minors and basically amount to different flavors of marauder standing on hex perks.
>>
>>765209
*cooms eternally*
>>
>>767822
>I mean it is kinda weird that oceans and seas are completely deprived of any importance
You retards really need to just stfu and read the manual before opening you cock-sucker.

Naval units are getting added later this year, and Water and Ocean hexes provide you with water which is needed for crops which is need for population which is needed for soldiers.
>>
>>768126
Water is rarely a problem if you are on anything other than an airless moon. Even there you can just pick the buildings that don't waste water and you should be fine. Trying to deflect the complaint that oceans are a black hole today with the promise of probably getting naval units later this year is pretty desperate.
>>
What do the following cards do?

> Automated Clinic
> Gravitonic Collector

I have a cloning facility aswell but as far as I know that gives you free population?
>>
>>768917
Automated clinic is a really good hospital that raises the health value of the city a lot. Gravitonic collector is free energy.
>>
>>768941
Cheers. I'm guessing health qol has an effect on happiness and pop growth?
>>
>>768942
the top far right button on the bar at the bottom that has info about the city tells you about the zone qol. QoL and civ score affect happiness. A higher civ score lowers birth rate while higher health raises it, but health is one of the 4 scores in the category that raises civ score. It also affects certain danger events like ones dealing with disease outbreaks and quack doctors.
>>
>>768976
I thought all the QoL scores just changed happiness, civilization level and might be used by events during blue moons. Do the QoL categories other than health have any special impacts?
>>
>>769729
Read
5.1.9.62., 5.3.10., 5.3.15., and 5.6.2.7. for info about QOL in general. I thought there was info about the individual ones but it seems lacking.
The QOL scores are generally there to influence the civ level and occasionally events but the structures or the points themselves to do things. Universities themselves add to your research, barracks to the exp gain of your troops (not sure if it's in general or just being trained in the SHQ, but I'm pretty sure it only applies to non-combat exp growth.) I don't THINK entertainment does anything but if it does, it's super obtuse.

Out of the points themselves, Security is an important one and does a lot of things, its score works like troops and helps prevent unrest in cities, it generates security forces that both help in active decision-based events like suppressing rioters and passive things like fighting crime caused by criminal syndicates and cults killing each other and citizens (your garrisoned troops will also help out so occasionally a few of them may die or something if there is a lot of intra-city conflict). It also helps with the discovery of spies, though you'll only have spies on you in multiplayer.
>>
>>768905
>Water is rarely a problem
and thats how i know your retarded and never played a actual game other than pretty planets with tons of resources at the start.
get.gud.
>>
>>769912
Just don't waste the water if you don't have a lot of it available. It isn't rocket science.
>>
>>769912
I played dozens of games at random with high difficulty, water is always your first few find.
More than half of the time you can get to water in the form of ice and snow, about 1/6 you get rain and river for free.
>>
>>769912
Outside the first ten turns water is never a problem. You get a guaranteed water resource on every start, build an ice mine on it first thing and get 50-100 turns before you have to worry about water again.
The only way for water to be a problem is if a monster wanders across your ice supply because the game fucked up and spawned it far away from the starter city. Unironically get good.
>>
Plasma AT when?
>>
>>773976
5 minutes
>>
File: CantFeedorSeed.png (96 KB, 650x783)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>775736
>>
>>767930
>>Integrate sentient xenos into your regime to create multi-species nation
You can ask non-arachnid aliens to join you just like farmers and raiders. Get your relation way up.
>>
>>749949
When I realized this was the same team behind Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa about ten minutes ago, I pressed the buy button so hard my finger popped out of socket. I popped it back in and now I'm downloading. I'll report back once I've read the manual and gotten into the game for the first time. I'm in a state of rapturous anticipation, sometimes I'm very glad my brain development was fucked into severe autism by an adverse reaction to childhood vaccines. It has its downsides but I can't imagine enjoying myself half as much as I've had as a normalfag.
>>
File: Ayys.png (1.69 MB, 1920x1080)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB PNG
>>777082
I finished the manual and generated a planet. I wanted to have something reasonably subdued for the first time, so I left the planet unscathed from the dissolution war, guaranteed alien lifeforms, and left it an outpost colony. First roll, I get full nutritional value and a sapient insectoid species. In the aftermath, 100% of the surviving population are hunters and the factions are at pic related. I was expecting things to be more human-centric from the manual, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Is it normal for there to be this many aliens? Or did I win the planetary lottery? What can I expect to be in for?
>>
>>777299
What you get is dependent on your settings. Outpost Colony is probably the reason you lack human regimes, since there were less settlers.
>>
File: Ayy Raiders.png (3.11 MB, 1920x1080)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB PNG
>>777299
It seems the answer is a fuckload of pissed tribesmen. They nearly wiped out a division of forward scouting buggies and now, as near as I can tell, my forces in the area are outnumbered 8:1. I've raised a formation of light infantry and trained them to +8 XP, and have started marching them into their territory alongside the rest of my forces, which should hopefully be enough to conquer them. I probably should've respected their territory when they asked me to but I've been trying to maximize my fist. No going back now. Hail humanity, by the time this war's over we'll piled their charred exoskeletons two kilometers high.
>>
>>749949
I regret opening this thread. I haven't slept in 34 hours and counting.
>>
>>777075
There's very little point in it though. All you get is a bunch of militia tier trash who don't need logistics. Which is a nice perk for some backwater landgrabbing but the PP investment for getting relations that high is insane.
>>
>>777299
>cold as tits
>low gravity
>shit atmosphere
But hey atleast the local fauna is extra nutritious
>>
>>778704
>7c
>cold as tits
>>
>>777299
The surviving population is absolutely tiny at 200.000
To get at the meat of the game with large armies and high tier buildings you'd want several cities with that population each. I'd say reroll if surviving population is less than 1 million,otherwise it'll be a very low econ game, but that might be fun too.
>>
>>778438
The justonemoreturnitis can get pretty bad with this game. I've found that saving and quitting at the beginning of turns is more likely to result in getting enoough sleep, you can always rewatch the annoucements from the VID screen when you continue later.
>>
>>778761
I enjoy the tiny pop games. It gives it a really different feel.

I like to play on shitty freezing barely colonized moons and never have enough of anything.
>>
>>778858
>tfw ywn be chattel-serf #948/b growing nutri-algae under the threat of the whip in a radioactive moon dome
>tfw ywn spend your allotted ration card to bet on which feral madman will win this week's death wrestle in the gladiator pit
>tfw ywn be conscripted, given a bolt-action rifle two decades out of date, and marched to fight cult fanatics that outnumber you 2:1
Why live?
>>
>>778956
careful what you wish for bruh, the world is unironically heading into that direction
>>
>>778966
Yeah but it won't be /comfy/ enclaves of sub-30,000 people settling their differences with other enclaves through caveman-tier violence, it'll be megacities of multiple billions in an intricate, passive economic system nobody can resist or control. At least on a radioactive, barren moon, you can see your dictator firsthand, know that he's living in the same dome as everyone else, and meet him face-to-face even if it's only for fifteen minutes of your life. At least chattel-serf #948/b is fighting for someone and for something, instead of passively consooming and being on the lookout for wrongthink.
>>
>>779041
There are warlords out there willing to feed you to the guns of their enemies if you really are interested in that sort of thing.

>>At least chattel-serf #948/b is fighting for someone and for something, instead of passively consooming and being on the lookout for wrongthink.
This makes me suspect you have never experienced a single day of hardship in your entire life.
>>
>>779044
I'm not a poorfag but I grew up on a hog farm and spent most of the time I wasn't shoveling shit splitting logs for my grandpa because he didn't use propane. It was shit yeah, but it's less shit than portland. I'm not romanticizing it, chattel-serf #948/b is living in a shithole but it's a different scale of shit. Instead of a system of multiple billions, he's one of a few thousand and that feels better, is all I'm saying. He's not worried about what's being taught to his kids, he's not worried about losing his house to hyperinflation, he's worried about the cult in the next valley over that's declared jihad. All of the abstraction is gone, that's the appeal, there being no more subtlety to any of it. The same simple shit.
>>
>>779060
I'd rather not worry about dome breeches myself.
>>
>>779267
That's fair lmfao
>>
File: tfw.jpg (154 KB, 1257x873)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
Post nightmare fuel
>>
>>779381
It's an herbivore though, so it shouldn't bother you?
>>
File: file.png (2.87 MB, 1423x985)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB PNG
>>749949
playing my first playthrough in quite a while. started in my usual settings.
my issue with this playthrough is that im against creatures that i cant really kill. i got some tanks with the highest caliber howitzers and thickest armor i can get on them. i tried bombing them away with 2k payloads from my planes, but it isnt really effective because the planes cant get enough recon on the monsters before they have to return to base.

im just maintaining this little pocket. those bird things south of me completely annihilated one of my regular units when i had it attack. it isnt a niche case because they wiped 2 militias i had too before that.

whats the way out here? im in about turn 45. my only real plan for breaking out is to try and get the fuel to make medium tanks. the whole reason i have troops south of me is because theres oil there. i just realized that i needed to nationalize the oil because it was commercial so i actually get as much as i can.

my MG brigades are holding okayish (they get pushed back whenever they get attacked most of the time), but the enemy just leaves after it attacks me. its finally starting to push back that faction north of me who keeps trying to blackmail me into giving them money. i declared war on those nomads on my east border in the first few turns because i thought i would be able to kill them easily, but the monsters showed up a turn or two later, and ive been on a constant defensive campaign since.

im playing a waiting game of rotating troops.
>>
File: file.png (1.76 MB, 1262x871)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB PNG
>>779680
these are the ones ive been dealing with for a while. i managed to kill maybe 2 or 3 of them in total, but i think they are reproducing faster than i can kill them.
>>
File: file.png (1.73 MB, 1247x855)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB PNG
>>779680
these are the ones that wiped my divisions in one shot when i accidentally walked into them a few times in the south. these things are something else. thank god they dont really push anywhere past my oil place whenever it falls here and there.
>>
>>779680
If your planes need more recon maybe try using recon planes before the bombardment?
>>
>>779685
i dont have the resources to build them at the moment
>>
>>779687
You can afford 2K payload planes, but a few space-cessnas break your budget?
>>
>>779689
im trying to save up for the medium tanks to actually bust these things
>>
>>779689
ok, i bought the recon planes. got my mediums out but the birds are putting a retarded amount of pressure down on my oil fields
the mediums arent looking too good in this situation. im thinking about trying high velocity guns to see if they will help.
im losing 1000 men a turn, and more birds are moving to the front line so that number went up
>>
File: file.png (734 KB, 648x456)
734 KB
734 KB PNG
the birds keep annihilating any units they engage in combat with, even when attacking
>>
File: file.png (421 KB, 589x300)
421 KB
421 KB PNG
>>779698
2 turns of bombardments following recon has not even scratched the things that arent birds
>>
File: file.png (1.73 MB, 1249x862)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB PNG
>>779680
these are the third ones. i forgot to post them but i just realized that a third variant has shown up.
>>
>>779700
there's another variant or two of those things, but i cant get a picture of them currently because i dont have enough recon on them. i also dont know which stack they are under.
>>
File: file.png (1.24 MB, 2117x1041)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
my attempt to push the enemy back from the road my supply line is down failed. recon + an aerial bombardment with no effect preceded this assault.
>>
>>750246
Remember how back in 2021 Europe was cut off from China because a ship got stuck in a canal?
>>
File: file.png (1.88 MB, 993x881)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB PNG
last post before i go to bed.
im likely going to have to abandon the south. i built a biofuel refinery in my city. the monsters in the north keep slowly and consistently pushing me back. im working on getting tanks with high velocity guns designed to bring to the front line to see if they fare any better against these enemies.
>>
>>779681
>2500 hitpoints
>>779683
>549 attack against infantry
I'm surprised you are not already being shit out of their asses. I would probably have used anti-tank guns on the bottom. Too many trees for tanks or planes to be effective.
>>779694
>im thinking about trying high velocity guns to see if they will help.
One has metallic skin and the other polymer skin. You should have been using them before.
>birds
I don't get it.
>>779700
These have amorphous >>779681 do as well. Isn't that the one where you can't hurt them if you can't roll higher than their hitpoints before mods or something? Also
>31 meters in size
it's_the_only_way_to_be_sure.webm
>>779712
You are probably actually fucked unless you suddenly get a breakthrough with lasers or something.
>>
>>779712
Fucking Kaiju world, amazing. Need to give this game another go.
>>
>>779534
They shouldn't, problem is they're chameleons and keep wiping my scouts and cutting off supply lines.

>>779712
Fuck me that's intense
>>
File: file.png (1.23 MB, 821x686)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
just based on defensive combat, the high velocity guns look to be turning the fight a bit more toward my favor. i killed 300 of them last turn, which is the highest number in a long time. im about to try out some attacks with my medium and light tanks to see if i can make a dent.
i abandoned the south because i cant afford to let them push a single tile further before i start losing crucial buildings. they have already taken 2 of my agricultural domes. progress is slow because im having to upgrade my agricultural domes so i will be able to produce enough food to sustain a biofuel refinery level 2.
>>
>>780200
If you don't enjoy these kinds of auto-lose situations, 2 zone / 1 army per zone starts give you enough room to breathe while building up forces to push back the aliens.
>>
>>779781
ive just been throwing bodies into the meat grinder for a while now. i'd say that about 60-70% of the time when the north monsters attack, they just leave the tile they pushed me off of. its about the only reason im still alive. by what i can tell, they are giving the one other human faction bordering me a lot of shit, and may have already hit their capital. i just sent a spy ring so ill have information on that shortly.
>>780011
its been really interesting. i dont think ive ever had an issue with monsters battering me so bad. i abandoned almost all the free folk in my territory to the south to the bird things really early on. where i am now is only maybe 1/3 to 1/4 of what i started with, if that.
>>780018
yeah it is. oddly enough i started this game about 2 hours after you made your post about nightmare fuel monsters in >>779381
>>780201
ill have to try that in the future. this is probably the first save ive sat down to play since february or march, so i just went in blind on whatever the settings already were.
>>
>>780200
alright, so i didnt even bother trying to attack. apparently the monsters with white manes are the only ones i can get remotely even combat odds against, and thats assuming its only them with one unit of 300 or so on a tile. i dont have anything on how combat odds look against the things in >>779683 that i initially thought looked like birds before i actually inspected them.
>>
File: file.png (2.07 MB, 1266x783)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB PNG
apparently the only human faction ive encountered besides the nomads to my east lost their city a while back to these things
>>
File: file.png (1.8 MB, 1262x877)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB PNG
these lethal monsters apparently exist in a bunch of different variants across the entire planet. the scouts i sent into whats left of the faction north of me got me intel on all the nonaligned territory
>>
File: file.png (1.76 MB, 1254x863)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB PNG
>>780209
>>
File: file.png (1.78 MB, 1256x870)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PNG
>>780209
a
>>
File: file.png (1.73 MB, 1260x847)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB PNG
>>780209
b
>>
File: file.png (1.72 MB, 1241x857)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB PNG
>>780209
c
i only found this particular variant on 2 tiles a decent distance away from me.
i see some other factions on the map, but i can confirm that at least one is a raider faction.
is it possible to spawn on a map with only one other faction you can actually conduct diplomacy with?
>>
File: file.png (3.71 MB, 1679x1016)
3.71 MB
3.71 MB PNG
the medium tanks with maxed out high velocity guns made headway against the white mane monsters that i dealt with before the green mane non-birds showed up. ive cleaned up a few pockets of the white manes.
im working toward getting a unit of heavy tanks with maxed out high velocity guns in the field to deal with the green mane ones. i dont really have a way to deal with them otherwise since the best combat odds i can get against a single stack of them with my tanks is 1:10.

i decided to make a sprint with an MG unit for the fallen city that was north of me. i believe that, as as a major force of monsters doesnt immediately appear, i should be okay for a bit. the sentinels + the 2 strength militia units on each tile are still holding against the occasional nomad assaults from the east.
>>
File: file.png (2.45 MB, 1371x775)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB PNG
the raiders in the west requested that we recognize each others borders. i accepted
meanwhile, the green bird things might be trying to break out the green mane monsters. we will see
>>
>>780290
>They're working together
Truly you live on a cursed world
>>
File: file.png (2.03 MB, 1132x884)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB PNG
>>780298
pocket cleaned up with the medium tanks. despite the combat odds, they were wiped. im guessing it was mainly due to all the negatives from being encircled. my planes still arent doing jack shit against the monsters other than providing recon. ive tried a retarded amount of the 2k bomb loads, and it has killed zero enemy troops.
>>
File: file.png (2.57 MB, 1154x1151)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB PNG
apparently i have encountered mutants
>>
>>780209
Fucking nightmare tier

>>780324
Probably from crossbreeding with the fuckers. What profiles are you using? I've been fond of Autocracy+Commerce+Fist but Enforcement is solid too.
>>
File: file.png (605 KB, 1516x247)
605 KB
605 KB PNG
>>780348
ive just been selecting whatever decisions benefit me the most (most opinion for leaders i need opinion up on, free credits, etc.).
>>
>>780351
Makes sense. Likely a lot easier than clinging to an ideology, problem is getting perks is a lot harder and the upper perks are effectively off-limits, right? That's the impression I've gotten anyway.
>>
>>780353
>upper perks are effectively off-limits, right? That's the impression I've gotten anyway.
A profile and the profile that suppresses it can only add up to 100, so if you have 70 of one, and the one that suppresses it is 40, the one you have will be dragged down to 60. At the same time the suppressing profile will lose points for doing this, so you'll probably be actually dragged down to something like 65/35, making it harder to keep perks of either profile
>>
Oh hey, this gives me an excuse to post the webm's I made.
>>
>>780468
>>
>>780471
>>
>>780474
>>
File: art.png (359 KB, 852x1051)
359 KB
359 KB PNG
>>
>>780513
seinfeld mod when
>>
>>778713
considering 20c is the minimum for terran based crops.. yes it is.
>>
>>780468
>>780471
>>780474
>>780475
These are kino. The siege in webm 2 is pretty sick, reminds me of the last stand I fought previously against a mutant horde that stormed my zone three rounds after the start. I was doomed but the fight was hellacious.
>>
>>780927
Ah yeah, it only devolved into a siege because I decided to build some super-heavy tanks for the hell of it. They chugged down all of my fuel and instead of a blitz to the capital, the operation devolved into muddy footslogging.
>>
>>780942
>They chugged down all of my fuel and instead of a blitz to the capital, the operation devolved into muddy footslogging
ugh...
>>
>>779267
but you will anon
you will soon
>>
>>777319
do they have cities or hives or something?
>>
>>780921
Only the farm building needs to have a proper temperature, the expanding agricultural land around it will produce food but at large penalties.
On hotter worlds, popping the farm on top of a high mountain (with 10 to 20 C less temperature due to elevation) will allow the plains around it to turn into food baskets.
>>
>>781279
They have camps, I think. Not sure if they can't continue respawning from the rest of their zone if you take it but I think it makes it less common.
>>
>realize that dogshit tanks are an order of magnitude easier to manufacture and get to the front
That's it, I've taken the T-34 pill.
>>
>>781448
Are you fighting a large empire yet? By then you'll take the Abrams pill out of necessity.
>>
>>780513
based cortical accelerator
>>
>>781448
>>781476
i would really prefer that devs do something to that awful model designs and organization structure
>>
Can we make another server for mp, the other one is pozzed and run by a literal communist tranny
>>
>>781928
By all means we can. Make the server and link it here, anon. Though my days of playing SE are over.
>>
>>781928
How many dozen times did you say "nigger" before they banned you, anon?
>>
>>782019
Only eighty-seven.
>>
>>782040
based
>>
>>781686
its next on the list after adding naval units.
just chill
>>
File: file.png (2.74 MB, 1593x806)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB PNG
i didnt get around to posting a few days ago.
ive almost completely dealt with the monster threat in my immediate vicinity. i encountered another actual faction to my east (that is, it isnt a nomad, raider, mutant, etc.). i really wonder how many of these factions actually exist on the map and havent been wiped by the extremely lethal monsters that this planet is infested with. i was only able to even marginally make a dent against them due to my medium tank guns and taking advantage of combat bonuses forcing enemy divisions to surrender regardless of how much of my shit they could kill while encircled.
so far there's still a green bird thing left on the west side of the map that im unable to kill. im in an annoying predicament where i need howitzers for all the mutants im dealing with, and i need high velocity guns for all these lethal juggernaut monsters that exist across most of the planet.
im not going to bother pushing what little is left of that actual faction north of me for a while because i see their territory as a buffer against some of the most lethal of the monster variants that are located directly north of that faction's territory.

i think i need to work on getting some long range aircraft to just pummel the hell of these mutants.
>>
>>784347
Just be aware that using planes on forested areas is as shitty as using tanks on forested areas
>>
>>784362
is there a way i can terraform this forest? the only way i can farm on this planet is through domes. its been nice having it for defensive buffs, but the retarded cost i have to pay for building roads through it and the surrounding areas are really eating at me.
the faction to my east declared war on me. oddly enough, the raiders to my west have 100 relation with me, and we are on really good terms. never really had that happen. i did reject every refugee that came to my borders from their territory in events, so im sure that helped.
>>
>>784364
>is there a way i can terraform this forest? the only way i can farm on this planet is through domes.
Nope. The only thing that can change tiles currently is turning them into farmland from open air farming or becoming snow/ice variants in cold times.
>>
>randomly starting to get issues where i have to validate the game files to get the game to boot up
great. i have to completely kill the steam process and reboot it entirely to see if everything is fixed.
validating once managed to get it to reboot once with my settings reset.
now its just not finding corrupt files on validation. ill try a reinstall
>>
File: file.png (3.85 MB, 1733x914)
3.85 MB
3.85 MB PNG
update:
im growing to hate how shitty the terrain is on this planet + how many of these annoying monsters there are. the faction that declared war on me is slowly being pushed back, but the terrain is awful to push + they have air forces (mainly fighters and something in some wings conducting multiple unsuccessful air strikes about every turn). the only faction im really not having to worry about is the buffer state ive left alive in my north who used to own the city i took from the lethal monsters in the west (the one with rail).
after seeing that the peaceful raiders west of me were actively lowering relations with me (it went from the 100 it had been at a long time to 50), i decided to declare war and kill them. this has led to me now bordering another raider faction that i didnt even know existed who im sure ill have to kill eventually. im trying to get that front to a point that it will be a general stalemate so i can focus elsewhere. for whatever reason, it seems like the lethal monsters didnt hit the raiders or mutants at all. i guess the game is coded to where it doesnt see those groups as enemies. killing the raiders who were to my west has opened up everything south of me, but im hesitant to advance in the west or the south because i know im going to have to deal with lethal monsters in shitty terrain anywhere i advance (plus its likely ill get ambushed).
i believe advancing east is the only option, but its grueling how slow it is. theres just so much jungle, forest, heavy forest, and low mountains on this map. its a shame i cant actually terraform it with farms due to the planet conditions not allowing me to do so.

im growing bored with how much of a slog its becoming and am considering abandoning this save. should i? i can post the save if another anon wants to play in lethal monster world with mutant hordes from free folk settlement areas.
>>
>>786277
i should say that i know how bad the logistical situation is in the south, and the fact that i need to get some roads connected in the west (i took it a turn or two ago). im considering just letting the south go in favor of maintaining a position that the lethal monsters arent going after. im hesitant to build a truck station there mainly because of this reason. ive already started to pull troops back from the furthest south parts.
>>
>>786277
>im growing to hate how shitty the terrain is on this planet
It's a Hydra class right? I had an experience hating those a few threads ago. Invisible monsters everywhere in the jungle were the biggest threat. They weren't deadly like yours though. I only finished it because I reached the poles where plants didn't grow and was able to expand quicker that way and also because all the major regimes were crowded around me so I took over their territory quickly as well.

You seem far enough that IP shouldn't be an issue anymore, but I don't know how large your world is. (I never play the largest setting) If it's gigantic, I'd probably give up on it. If not, or if you stick with it, see if you can head north or south until there aren't any more plants.

Also why haven't you killed those mutants? Mutants are nothing even at the start of the game. Your OHQs have leaders and postures on them right? They should be able to wipe away the mutants with just machine guns, let alone machine guns you've been upgrading and refining all this time. If you have some of those chemical gas truck fate cards, those are usable against monsters and mutants too.
>>
>>786290
i think its a medusa class, but im not sure. i just clicked the one on the far left that was green without paying much attention when i made my planet.
i havent killed those mutants because every time i begin to push south, more of those annoying monsters keep showing up that can (and do about 85% of the time) wipe the entirety of each unit defending the tile in a single attack or ambush. i didnt bother to expand my army too much when my borders were a lot smaller (didnt want to put too much strain on my capital), so im only just now really starting to expand it, and it is taking time. as for the "plants not growing," the only area close to that on this planet is some tundra in the north. the entirety of the southern part of this planet is just forests, heavy forests, jungles, and mountains like a lot of the terrain around me. the problem is that those lethal monsters exist literally everywhere on the planet and it makes moving anywhere a hassle. if i didnt have to stop and spend quite a few turns wheeling and dealing until i finally get individual lethal monster units encircled then killed through heavy casualty assaults due to their forced surrender, i would probably have a lot more of this planet.
this blue nation im at war with mostly in the east (a bit in the south, but im not counting that) has a lot of territory, but im really not sure how they are defending it against the lethal monsters. they should be bearing down on them pretty hard. i would check with spies, but its hard as shit to get spies into the territories that im curious about. i would fly recon planes in but they would just shoot my planes down in the process.
i did finally encounter a minor nation on the former border the raiders to my west had before i took them over. the west is going to be the easiest direction to expand if i can get the infrastructure and troops in place (its mostly plains by what i can see).

ill probably give this planet a bit more of a shot on a future day.
>>
>>786292
>i think its a medusa class
Believable since you can't breathe on it, eat from it, and there's mountains. Hydra tend to not have mountains at all and much more water.

I'm curious on how your research is going. You have medium tanks, but I don't remember what various infantry armors look like offhand. A world like that is a world where you need to invest heavily into infantry. Anti tank guns with research into armor piercing and rpgs of the highest you can get. If you used a defensive tactic and unit feats in forests, you should get amazing counterattacks. Tanks should be getting something like 80-90% penalties attacking into forests so they're not even worth bringing except maybe to 'tank' hits for your infantry. Walkers work so rushing to those would be a good idea. Overall it sounds like you need to take a look at your units' stats.

Actually all my questions would be answered by you posting your most recent save.
>>
>>786302
https://mega.nz/file/JO4VgSpT#wFUNzsaEmP6xcpVtr5P2sCmMlokccVqMOcggT4HXmxE

i did make the mistake of telling myself that i would be able to play this save through more conventional means (its the way ive managed in all my other playthroughs, so by habit i fell back on it)
theres some things i really need to get done, but ive been trying to figure out for a little while now whether or not i really want to stick with this save. its not a huge amount further east before i finally start hitting better combat terrain, but oh well. i get sick and tired of those popups for council task priorities so i quit actually answering the advisors at some point.
i gave myself the challenge of seeing if i could win on this planet through minimal use of fate points and combat cards, so you will see a lot there. every city besides my starting one is a city i took, so there are likely some random locations for them (that city in the far east is a prime example).

i'd continue typing further, but you will get your answers from the save.
the real reason i havent advanced very far on any particular front is because im trying to avoid overextending. i was starting to work on building up the west because i wanted to build up my logistics in the east (mainly get that city up so i could put a high speed rail station there). if you play it, feel free to post some updates. im curious about what you could potentially do with it from where im probably going to abandon it due to lack of motivation for dealing with the monsters and shitty terrain.
>>
File: Untitled.png (380 KB, 1056x337)
380 KB
380 KB PNG
>>786305
but y tho
>>
>>786314
i completely forgot that council existed for quite a while because i was focused on other shit
i probably just clicked something to get them to give me one less popup for next turn
>>
>>786314
im going to bed now so ill read any posts sometime in the p.m.'s
>>
>>786317
Man your shit is all fucked. Barely any applied science topics researched, everyone hates you, half your OHQ commanders aren't anywhere near their forces and giving no benefits to them, all your high competency guys are advisors but aren't attached to anyone. At least you have a billion PP to get something done. You're also a few turns from nukes so I'll probably just go there and nuke the whole planet. The guy you're fighting to the west has 31.5% of the planet though. They might win before you can push in enough if they can expand elsewhere. You might as well give up on this honestly, though I'll mess around with it a bit later.
>>
>>786378
yeah i was aware for a while that a lot of my situation really needed to be fixed for things to truly be turned around. i didnt even know that guy with 31.5% of the planet existed for most of the save until i was finally able to go east a bit. i didnt really bother fixing a lot of things because i thought i was going to drop that save during >>780200 where i thought my situation was going to be me getting wiped out after intense urban combat. most of my food silos are built right next to my capital because they were built during that situation.
im curious to see what you do with the save. i let a lot of things go because i got really lazy with them + i thought i was dead many turns ago, and was set back so much by that that i wouldnt be able to recover (seeing as one guy owns almost 32% of the planet, it seems i wasnt entirely wrong). im curious to see what you do with it. i was working on pushing tech to nukes in case things got bad enough that i didnt have another option to resort to. as for everyone hating me, i didnt really get a chance to interact with anyone before they went after me. most people declared war on me soon after i met them with those raiders in fire something being the exception along with the major (now buffer state) to my north that doesnt have a city anymore.
i keep wondering, did the lethal monsters, mutants, and raiders just not attack the guy with 32% territory or something while he was building up?
>>
>>786695
the main thing that makes me think they didnt hit him was the situation in the south. there are monsters and mutants there only really focused on combating me instead of dealing with his territory thats been bordering them for a while.
that major has most (if not all) their heavy hitting stuff in the east fighting me by what i can tell.
>>
>>786695
i said food silos built around my capital and i meant agricultural domes
>>
>>786277
Minors don't interact with other minors, only majors. Easily revealed with the spy cards as you can watch the world come alive as you pop their border cherry.
>>
>>786695
>as for everyone hating me
I meant all your leaders
>what you do with it.
I certainly can't see myself adhering to the no pp and fate use handicaps.
>i keep wondering, did the lethal monsters, mutants, and raiders just not attack the guy with 32% territory or something while he was building up?
Considering how late it is, it probably was in a good enough situation to get enough linear techs researched and made use of its postures.

Since lasers are already researched, some energy small arms and armor piercing research will probably be good enough, and slap on all-out attack to get rid of all the monsters and mutants.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.33 MB, 2115x935)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
>>786712
>>786378
>>786305
Alright lets see what we can do with this.
>>
>>788670
>Criminals aren't on
>Corps aren't on
>Not even Cults are on
>Fucking epochs are on
The one module I hate most in this game
>>
File: 1628996261878.jpg (6 KB, 144x157)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>788670
keep posting, you have my curiosity
>>788673
which one are epochs?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1.07 MB, 2118x994)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>788674
The ones that go "we are in a full blown decade of fuck you" and give a couple of fate points when they change. At least it's giving BP this time.

>>788670
Most of those killed troops were the raiders on the northwest.

After sorting out all the councils and getting a handle on what was researched, I decided to apply mostly defensive stratagems to the OHQs. In inspecting the cards, I noticed there were like 1500 card points, so I made a few, but none really seem useful at the moment because the existent cities are all built up. I did recruit a few more leaders including one from the dojo in the main city who was IV, so I made him the leader of the 8th MG OHQ, since it needed one. I also fixed the SHQ priorities since not all reinforcements were getting sent out.

The northwest is going to hold for now, but those zombies are rushing in and taking territory and of course I can't kill them unless I declare war on them. You'd think stealing my territory would make them at war, but nope. Also killed a rebel unit that thought it was funny to stand on the road. I went and wiped out the zombies to the south since the south is just a major and a couple tiles of unaligned. The east just sends in planes, so some sort of anti air should probably be rolled out over there. Meanwhile, I'm just going to try to surround them and starve them a bit so they don't have a choice but to retreat. They seem to be halfway into upgrading shitty units into good units. If I can get a decent way into personal armor optimization, armor piercing, and energy weapons by the time I get heavy combat armor researched, I can start upgrading troops into pretty decent things. Most units seem to have decent base stats, so I don't have to redevelop them.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (865 KB, 1481x1229)
865 KB
865 KB JPG
Good news is one unit of SAM did good work in taking out their planes. Bad news is 1500 infantry were slaughtered this turn by one of these >>779683

I thought it was one of >>779700 before I checked and wondered how it can be doing so much damage even with the armor the guys currently have, but then I noticed that unlike >>779681 which is just an HP tank, >>779700 has 16 attacks. That is 3,408 attack power. So then checking >>779683 again, it actually has 8 attacks, which is 4,392 before being broken up. Fuck that thing. I'm leaving the south until I have nukes ready. The major from the east wraps around there and they can try killing it to get to me if they want.
>>
>>788687
>>788722
neat stuff so far. im glad someone here finally got to actually experience how lethal those green things in the south are. i managed to kill a previous unit of them before another immediately decided to appear, but it was through forced surrender (encirclement penalties).
i avoided ever finishing off that buffer state to the north because i think another variant of those lethal things in the south exists just beyond it.
>>
>>789329
Yeah well, I'm heading north. South is all the enemy nation now (and that thing hiding somewhere) and they're pushing all their shitty old light tanks up at me. The east hasn't moved basically at all. The western mutants ran away to regroup or something after I killed half of them and the northeastern mutants are just kind of just standing at their border waiting for me to go away so they can parade onto my roads.

Since everything is stable, I started working on the towns to get some more power storage/generation but I went a bit overboard building things. Waiting about 3 more turns so I can have the IP to build vehicles(APCs) to help tank hits for the troops and waiting for the discovery of micro nuke RPGs.

Also hoping I can scrounge up enough hi-tech to bootstrap the hi-tech industry.
>>
Is power storage still broken? I built a power bank but it caused my power storage to jump between ~4k (pre-bank value) and ~1k. Since my nation uses more than 1k per turn, this is fucks up the whole country whenever it happens.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (471 KB, 1849x1113)
471 KB
471 KB JPG
>>789364
>>788722
>Check a promise I made to see how long I have left
>See there was an existing promise with 3 turns left
At least I noticed in time to do something.

>>789464
No idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>789364
>>789480
i forgot to mention in my initial briefing post that i forgot to queue up a railhead at the far east city before i handed it over. i wanted to get a high speed rail station there, but i was having a lot of trouble trying to get the city's population up enough to support it.
i came to about the same conclusion for the south. playing on this planet really made me wish that vic would add some ways to terraform planets besides farms, even if the methods were incredibly slow and resource intensive.
>>
>>789364
also on the high tech parts, i tried to grab some really early on to make sure metal wouldnt be an issue by getting a decent level soil demetalization facility in the capital. the way the market was looking early on made me think that metal was going to be a huge issue in the later game, so i tried to go ahead and make sure we would be okay.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1.06 MB, 1472x1354)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>789490
>i forgot to mention in my initial briefing post that i forgot to queue up a railhead at the far east city
Yeah, I already built one. It's not like it has anyone in it to run it though, yet.

>i came to about the same conclusion for the south.
There's actually just the one group of things left there. Other than that it's just the eastern regime and me touching in the south. As for that regime, they're really going full on air supremacy. Sam launchers, flak everywhere and a bunch of planes based in their nearby city. That city is also full of auto machine guns. I might have actually shot down the last of their planes for now during the turn processing.

The western mutants decided to try rushing the far west city so I'm going to be finishing them off. Beam guns are finished now, but the new heavy tank I tried making in preparation is just as shit as the existing ones. Shields have been discovered but not nuke rpgs yet. Probably going to just use AT until I get them.
>>
>>789582
>the heavy tanks are shit
i was having trouble telling whether or not it was terrain or the models that were shit when i used them.
i figured i would eventually dial up some of the budget stuff for the far east city to try and attract some immigrants (workers), but the issue is that the city only had about 2k population when i took it.

i was surprised when i encountered enemy planes in the east after some of the initial combats. its nice to see further east beyond the front line. they were shooting down any recon i tried to send that way to see what in the world was around that mass of city ruins.
>>
>>789590
>i was having trouble telling whether or not it was terrain or the models that were shit when i used them.
Both. Like an 80% attack/def penalty for terrain and the tanks have a base structural roll of 85. On top of no conventional gun damage or armor piercing or vehicle armor research, or unit feats, or postures, or even an OHQ for some of them.

>the issue is that the city only had about 2k population when i took it.
I only noticed this turn the workers weren't even being paid, resulting in them having a much lower happiness than the population. The overall happiness is high enough now that the enemy isn't next to it, but the migration will take time. It has about 1600 now. I slapped down a bunch of structure cards from card crafting on to it so it can get its QoL up.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (696 KB, 2081x1109)
696 KB
696 KB JPG
Hopefully this helps the war effort.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (355 KB, 1010x760)
355 KB
355 KB JPG
>>790199
Okay, I thought there was only one thing down here. There are at least three. I also realized I need to go back and learn laser guns to get energy gun optimization even though I already have beam guns.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (266 KB, 878x645)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>790279
Northeast mutants are dead. Western mutants have been repelled. Northwestern raiders are running back to their town. Eastern Major is pulling back for some reason, not just to deal with rebels but abandoning some of their forward areas. I think they're just putting their all into attacking from the south since it's right near my capital but who knows. I certainly know they have more airplanes.

Now that power generation is getting up and the first hi-tech industry will finish next turn, I'm left with the choice on how to progress. The quad lasers are enough for any non alien opponent, but heavy MG army isn't even researched so I'm not making any new OOBs just yet. I want to make everything into APC armies when my IP gets high enough and the OOB are actually researched.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (309 KB, 1207x739)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>790455
Hmm...
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (580 KB, 2153x717)
580 KB
580 KB JPG
>>790458
It's a start...
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (133 KB, 875x417)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
Wait I can NTR this guy?
>>
>>790470
Also wtf is a 'hazebo'?
>>
File: file.png (112 KB, 866x827)
112 KB
112 KB PNG
>>790279
yeah, they just kept randomly showing up in further numbers each time after i killed one, so i started leaving them alone.
>>790455
its nice to see that blue finally shored up the border in the south. i was wondering why in the world they didnt bother with it.
>>790199
nice. i was suiciding spy cards into their territory to try to eventually work toward starting a revolt in blue, but my secret service director kept getting bad rolls even with shadow spy.
>>789871
i was surprised to read that the workers werent getting paid, but then i remembered that when i went to give the workers a salary, it was right after i blew most of my credits on high tech parts, so i was hesitant to put any more burden on what was left of my budget for the time being.
>>790470
oh, the raider city. have you encountered any other human factions? there was that one that started near me where the northern buffer state is/was and the blue one, but i never encountered any others.
>>790474
no idea. pic related for my search. i guess its a typo for gazebo that hasnt been fixed.
>>
>>790470
Normally I would tell you to fap before you post, but in this case the dev is at fault.

>>790474
I would guess a hazmat gazebo? Some kind of protected but pleasant room for relaxation on a hell world?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (729 KB, 2248x909)
729 KB
729 KB JPG
>>790502
>have you encountered any other human factions?
If by human, you mean non mutant, from the size of it, it's likely Hornstaat is the only remaining group of humans besides the raiders I'm fighting. From what I gather, the northern Major doesn't actually exist and is just a bunch of leftover free folk towns making up a few dozens of thousands. I still have to invade them for some reason to take the territory though. Zesola supposedly had human raiders but it appears to just be leftover territory at this point. Those blobs to the far west and far northeast are the only chances to be something other than mutants.

Also I'm glad I took a moment to look at this map. Those guys are trying to sneak up while I'm finishing the mutants in the west. I guess swinging down to Maatwalt is next instead of pushing west.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1.09 MB, 2355x1277)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>790887
New intel suggests the Zesolans actually still exist.
>>
>>791016
>slavers
dang, im really surprised how few factions exist that arent mutants, monsters, or raiders/slavers.
the only other regular factions were really theocratic.

>>790887
yeah, i assumed the same about the northern major. i reckon that one city of theirs that fell to the monsters early on (we were very close to being in the same boat which makes their situation interesting to me) was all.
do you have any indication of whether or not the lethal monsters (or even the mutants) actually attack hornstaat? i remember you mentioning how the player showing up basically "wakes up" those factions, but i was curious if they impede other majors/minors at all. initially i thought maybe the raiders/slavers were fighting with the monsters by them being positioned next to one another during a weird scouting thing that got me vision of most of the map for a brief time.
>>
>>791019
Like someone else said, only majors will be attacked by minors, minors don't attack each other. Raiders/slavers/animals will attack the other majors and as you said are probably the reason that other major lost its city. I think Hornstaat was just touching up against the other factions and happened to take them over as opposed to touching wilderness. At the least, from the map, I can tell they were touching you on the west, slavers and mutants to the south and probably 2 minors with cities to the north.
>>
File: Untitled1.jpg (2.09 MB, 1672x2992)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
Okay, so this is how the world is. There are a couple of unknown cultures that have symbols on their flag, indicating they have a town. There are a couple that do not. There are a small amount of mutants touching the bottom of Hornstaat. I don't know if mutants attack them but probably not. There's at least one more slaver regime. There is also something completely unexpected wrapping around the northern edges of the map. The rest of the world is just the galactic kaijuu repository. Fortunately the game can be won just by taking out most of Hornstaat. Since that will probably happen before it lets me have nuke RPGs, it seems like the future course of action. Score is like 33 to 26(me) right now. Here's the file https://files.catbox.moe/qu9wqu.zip zipped so it keeps its filename.
>>
File: Untitled2.jpg (2.01 MB, 1648x2968)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>791183
>>
>>749949
I was underwhelmed by its lack of actual complexity and good AI. Once you get over the bad UI and unintuitive abstractions/concepts of the game the game isn't complex at all, and the AI is rather dumb.
People see hex'n'chits and think "ooh, complex hardcore strategy game!" when really, unless done right, hex'n'chit often devolves into mindlessly just shoving your chits into enemy chits in a very boring visually unappealing war of attrition. The larger your scale, the less sense hex&chits makes. It works excellently in a game like SquadLeader. But on these sort of large battlefields, it often turns to horseshit unless the resolution and unit "sizes" are selected very carefully, you just endup with dumb shit like a locked 6 hex wide front in which no maneuvering is possible. I found that this game gets too close to that scenario.

It has a really cool manual though, they should honestly have written a scifi book instead of making a vidya.
>>
>>791316
tl;dr
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1.34 MB, 2366x1404)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
That poor squad on the far right.
>>791019
The two unknown city having minors are raiders.
>>
>>791316
yeah you are right
also some of game designs are quite mind boggling and I do not even mind the card system
>>
>>791183
>>791184
>>791383
neat. its nice to see where the campaign has come after >>780200 was the state of our lines at one point. how much longer until you hit the flat lands in the east?
>>
>>791598
>the flat lands in the east?
Your starting area and just about everything east of it is flat. There just happened to be a lot of water to your south and north.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (967 KB, 2322x1332)
967 KB
967 KB JPG
You know, their airforce is pretty shit for them to rely on it so much. A single group of SAM has probably taken down nearly 200 of their planes and they can't even kill one bomber with 5 fucking squads.
>>
>>791316
You have no idea what you are talking about.
You didnt read the manual. You never finshed a game. Your literally a mouthbreaking sub-room temp IQ brainlet. all your "criticisms" are entirely bullshit and any reasonably experienced SE player would know your talking completely out of your ass. Back to plebbit you cancerous rodent.
>>
>>791316
The manual is cool, but reading the fluff I am not unhappy the author did not write a scifi book.

>>791903
The IQ-poster strikes again.
>>
Weren't you able to build bunkers or something that was added a few months ago? I remember it being tucked away but I forgot it existed and now I don't now where it is again.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (655 KB, 1892x888)
655 KB
655 KB JPG
Nuke RPGs developed and being deployed. Well see if this ends the game in a few turns hopefully. All I need is IP and not hi-tech like the beams. Good airplanes, superior ones have been developed but the enemy is still all SAM, flak, and planes/heli, so I can't airstrike their main cities. Their tanks aren't great, not shit, but not great. They haven't been able to dislodge me nor my tanks theirs. The minor to the west is under my protection. The one just beyond it is not yet. The mutants, rebels, and animals aren't bothering anyone anymore, though Hornstaat seems to have problems expanding to my south. In fact they appear to have less territory down there than in >>790887, so I guess the animals are giving them trouble still. Maatwalt was just an airbase they were using to attack me.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1.29 MB, 1838x1440)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>793430
This cluster of cities seems to be their entire existence, with Osnabruck being the most defended city I have ever seen.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1.48 MB, 2560x1440)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
>>793431
I don't think I'm going to be able to send support from the south.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (597 KB, 1484x974)
597 KB
597 KB JPG
>>793432
Hornstaat forces heroically defend humanity's last base against the encroaching monsters.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (439 KB, 2146x600)
439 KB
439 KB JPG
Git rekt'd.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (31 KB, 233x308)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (347 KB, 2082x442)
347 KB
347 KB JPG
>>793452
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1.37 MB, 2040x1300)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
Ever since I started surrounding Osnabruck, I seem to have cut off the entire supply line. Like normally, the AI will just build 2 or 3 other SHQs, but whatever they've done, everyone outside Osnabruck is starving. They seem to have pr-emptively moved or deleted/recreated their SHQ, as I don't see it anymore. Either way, I'm about to wreck this city.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1.14 MB, 2211x1393)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>793503
I forgot to remove the defensive posture so they held on a little bit, but they won't next time.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (287 KB, 675x730)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
>>793511
On closer check, the SHQ was there and died.

This turn
>15th SHQ
What the fuck are they doing? The AI is pretty much fucked though. Everyone is from starving to dying, so I don't really have to do anything but wait now.
>>
>>793560
whole logistic system in this game sucks
>some spider camped on road(lel logistic net? more like logistic line)
>we now can't move food produced in province X to HQ
>so it can't be delivered from HQ to units in province X
>whole army starves
>>
>>793568
>not securing your logistics
shiggy diggy
tbf there should be some system to feed troops locally in emergencies maybe idk
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (884 KB, 2110x1175)
884 KB
884 KB JPG
>>793560
That's that. It's just cleaning up now unless they miraculously manage to supply their whole army or all the animals decide to rush me.

>>793578
There is survival skills that reduce hunger if you leaders have them, and you can just make a local SHQ. It's not going to destroy your save.

>>793568
There are air bridges and you can make more than one road.
>>
>>793590
As a last note, the slaver regime up north has started invading Hornstaat territory, broken through, and is offering us slaves, presumably of Hornstaater origin.
>>
File: Untitled.png (425 KB, 506x633)
425 KB
425 KB PNG
I have literally never seen this before
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1.76 MB, 2560x1432)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
So I decided to go for the win screen. At 47 points for me, after unsuccessfully adding robots to their army and having those starve too, with their back up against the wall, they manage to somehow stabilize themselves and send a last spiteful parade of units through the middle of my territory. While not very effective, the utter shittiness of all their roads is already inhibiting me from reaching their last resistance to the point I think building shitty roads is a valid strategic tactic. Also they have like 20 cities that are airbases and since this game is an old version apparently, I can't delete or merge those zones, so now I get like 12 messages a turn about some complaint or another, no thanks to the era of complaints we are currently in that increases the likelihood of those types of events.
>>
>>791316
Then what would be a complex game with good AI?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (240 KB, 1242x522)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>794147
Turns out their last attack of spite was even more ineffectual than I thought, as I won the game when I finally remembered I was playing and hit end turn. I guess I took enough territory and my control collapsed back on the areas they moved through. Sad, I had just finished research on ICBMs.
>>
>>794173
neat.
there were quite a few things in this run that ive never really seen before.
this game continues to surprise me
>>
>>794551
I certainly haven't seen the AI use aircraft to the extent they did in this game. I've also never had a game with so few messages a turn either. All that being boxed in built your cities up super stable and I was never pressed for PP even as autocratic. You can see I had like 300 at the end there. They also started building shit I've never seen like private versions of hospitals, universities, etc. I didn't know they could do that. I thought the hostels and schools were it.

However, somehow money was always negative after a point. I kept getting it because of forced sales or something, but I had like -1k income even with your ridiculous 50% tax and 40% sales tax. I usually don't go above like 30% income/~25% sales but sometimes put tariffs and I usually roll around in money and pay workers like .010 credits. I usually go commerce though. (speaking of, that "far east" town in >>789582 >>789490 started having ridiculous pay for its private economy, like .013, .019 credits at one point, so I had to crank up the pay for the workers until enough immigrants drove down the wages to a reasonable level.)

There was a 1 hex remaining AI sentinel regime too, deep in Hornstaat. Honestly it makes me wonder if you chose nemesis in settings, how big they became. This game is also the first time I've seen what above ~500 rads looks like since I dropped a few normal atomic 10mts I had built at the end of the last turn.

The monsters mostly actually left me alone, as I imagined they would if the weren't near the cities. The early on battles must have been awful though. I've been wondering for a while if true monsters like that can become sapient and you get a world of 20 meter tall squidkids stomping all over everything and having high technology along with their lesser evolved kraken pets.
>>
File: Untitled.png (61 KB, 288x148)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
This world seems promising.
>>
>>794609
nice
>>
File: vic.png (127 KB, 2476x602)
127 KB
127 KB PNG
>>749949
He has spoken !
>>
>>795556
sound like the real battle of the bulge, fighting 2 fronts.
>>
>>795556
>contemplating
VIIIIIIIIIIC
>>
>>795628
Surely you must understand how much of a pain in the ass adding in broken up continents would be.
>>
>>791316
>>794163
Still waiting on an answer.
>>
Do barracks +training points affect all units globally, units in the zone, or only units on the city tile?

Is there any point in getting aircraft range higher than 33 tiles operational range?

How can I influence which factions unaligned leaders will join? Is there any way to influence which profiles a faction will prefer?

Is there any way to adjust the unit number in the upper left of the unit tile? For autism purposes of course.

Is there any better profile combo than democracy (easily pumped to 100 by city unrest events, gives cabinet retreat) - commerce (easily kept high by corporation interaction, gives infinite money) - heart (difficult to keep high but makes all characters have 100 loyalty)?

Give me one good reason to not make Heavy Machine Gun and Light Mechanized Armor Grenadier OHQs the backbone of my entire military.

Once you have radiation filters does radiation matter at all on the map? Like does it affect building productivity or anything?
>>
>>750301
>>750331
Rares aren't immediately valuable to your construction economy but you can use them from turn 1 for artisanal machine crafting if you are so inclined, and then they are used industrially for all advanced power generation and industry, etc starting in tech level 4 (aka the very first tech group you don't start the game with).

A lot of the economy is within the private sector. It's not supremely complicated, but it's there. The traders and corporations are a bit of a black box but prices are reactive. At the end of the day though it's a wargame so the only resources that matter are the sinews of war and industry.
>>
>>757207
Bombs and arty are going to be your best bet. I don't know the building destruction formula but in my experience it takes a *lot* of ordinance.

If I have one problem with it's game, it's how much industry/agriculture you can pack into each tile. Makes it too easy to create a few city strongpoints that are impenetrable without siege arty.
>>
File: Untitled.png (842 KB, 1540x1017)
842 KB
842 KB PNG
>>799200
>Do barracks +training points affect all units globally, units in the zone, or only units on the city tile?
Forgot but probably globally. There's somewhere between the game and manual that mentions it.

>Is there any point in getting aircraft range higher than 33 tiles operational range?
While their maximum operational range for attacking/scouting is capped, the distance they can move isn't, I don't think. (that is, if you move them from one base to another

>How can I influence which factions unaligned leaders will join?
Eliminate the ones you don't want by retiring/assassinating all the members of it. Leaders prefer to join powerful parties, ones that win elections, so if you give the party you like lots of important jobs and fund them so they always win the majority in elections, they'll tend to snowball in membership.

>Is there any way to influence which profiles a faction will prefer?
Factions are created in response to profiles, so I don't think it's possible to change them, but unless they spawn at start you probably won't get a faction that likes democracy if you never get democracy above a certain point. They might be influenced by a leaders preferences though so I can't say 100%.

>Is there any way to adjust the unit number in the upper left of the unit tile? For autism purposes of course.
Not sure. It might change if you rename it to something entirely different.

>Once you have radiation filters does radiation matter at all on the map? Like does it affect building productivity or anything?
They only add so much protection. See pic. That said, radiation will basically never be a problem unless you and your opponents start nuking each other.

>>799237
Rares are useful for solar power as well.

>>799246
>I don't know the building destruction formula
Damage taken is spread among buildings and when it reaches a certain point, they have a chance to be destroyed. There's a little red bar on side of asset info boxes you can mouse over to see.
>>
>>799237
I understand anon's complaint about rares, throughout the game you'll probably produce about 20-30% as many rares as you do metal, but you'll only use maybe 10% as many as you do metal, meaning there's a huge volume of useless rares. But the game knows that rares are inherently more valuable than metal so the traders will pay through the nose for them, meaning that every game I've ever played has been financed by waiting until rares sell for 10 and then dumping thousands of them to the traders. Taxes at 0.
The only time you really need them in quantity is for those 40-50 (I play on "slower") turns in the middle where you need energy but don't have nuclear plants yet. Even then there's plenty left over to dump on the traders.
If Vic cut all rares production to a tenth of the current value, rares would actually be interesting.
>>
>>799380
>I don't think it's possible to change them
They do change, so there's probably a way for the player to manipulate them. For instance, the corporation can spend corporation mana to add or increase the commerce profile of a faction. It's conceivable that the other modules (cults, crime) can interact with factions as well but I haven't paid enough attention to see it yet.
The best way I can see to get a desirable faction profile is to keep eliminating factions until one spawns with your three profiles you want. Even 2 out of 3 will be good enough to take you through the whole game without issues.
>>
>>799237
>artisanal machine crafting
is a newbie trap, you can get twice or thrice as many machines for the same input by selling the rares and buying machines. By the time this no longer holds true you should have high level heavy industry churning out machines.
>>
>>800051
Depends rare prices aren't always 12+ per rare on every world.

>>800031
Rares are used for almost everything later on, mostly energy weapons. I feel like they should be consumed more rather than produced less. They are rare earth metals, not rare as in scarce. The market depends on what's being bought and sold, but I feel like most people judge this game on earth like worlds rather than, say, a metal rich world. That said, the usage of rare metals does still need to be increased. Both that and hi-tech have this weird time where they're being used primarily beyond which they go back to not really being used again. Either way it doesn't matter because no matter what Vic did, you can make unlimited amounts of metal and other resources with the appropriate techs. It's just means making more cities to get production to the same values.
>>
I finally decided to play through to the victory screen yesterday and somewhere around turn 100 all the sell prices at the traders dropped down to almost nothing, like machines selling for 10 and metal selling for 0.1. All the buy prices stayed high, like metal buying at 15 and machines at 300.
Does anyone know why this happened? I thought the prices would generally be linked, as in, selling lots of machines would reduce the value of machines for both buying and selling. Instead all the sell prices crashed to nothing (for no reason, I wasn't really selling anything besides the occasional rarecoin) while the buy prices were unaffected. I've never seen the "such a low price traders are uninterested to buy" message displayed for metal and rare before.
I had about 80k in the bank, so maybe Vic just put something in to kill the sell prices if the player collects too much money?
>>
>>800090
>The market depends on what's being bought and sold, but I feel like most people judge this game on earth like worlds rather than, say, a metal rich world.
Having 10x more metals doesn't make rare materials more useful. Just based on build times, soil demetalization production will still outpace rare material consumption.
>>
>>800031
just call them precious metals but yeah smaller gains and maybe they should be used earlier in some amounts
>>
>>800163
>Having 10x more metals doesn't make rare materials more useful.
It does make them less valuable though, which was my point.
>>
>>800148
You aren't the only one buying and selling things.
>>
File: trade prices.png (2.91 MB, 1920x1080)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB PNG
Since we're discussing trade prices, here's mine from my first game.
Amazingly high prices I think.

Turn 79. This was originally a mining colony before it transitioned to a service eco pre-dissolution, so I assume that's why I've found no more remaining surface deposits except some oil in the desert. I'm getting kind of nutty returns from the soil-metal conversion considering it's an infinite. I assume that soil geology affects it? Also, is solar affected by orbital distance?

>>800051
There were definitely a few times where rare prices tanked and machine costs spiked. I mostly bought my pre-heavy industry machines but I can see situations where artisanal crafting is useful.
>>
>>800264
If everyone is selling, such that the prices are so low the traders won't even buy, one would expect the price to buy to go down as well. Instead, the traders supposedly had so much metal that they wouldn't accept more even if you literally gave it to them for free but they were still only willing to part with about 300 units at 15 credits per unit. There's clearly something broken here.
>>
>>800702
You'd sell for whatever you could sell for. They don't have any reason to dump all their metal if someone is still buying it desperately, even if they're getting more than they're selling.
>>
>>800540
>I assume that soil geology affects it?
It's affected by the level of heavy metals in the crust, I believe.

>Also, is solar affected by orbital distance?
Don't think so.
>>
>>800712
You're arguing that they're the only game in town so they can operate at a thousand percent profit margins. I'm arguing that my country produces 10K metal, several thousand rares, a thousand machines, and hundred hi tech (and no longer has any need for more than a token fuel input) per turn and these traders think they're going to take me for a ride?
Vic either fucked something up on the price algorithm or just doesn't give a shit because he knows that by the time the player notices, he won't care. Either way, it's just the usual "half baked feature posing as deepest lore." I enjoy Shadow Empire and I'm going to keep playing it, but let's not pretend that every little gotcha is an intended feature.
>>
>>800540
>is x affected by y
The only things that affect production are production penalties and bonuses like from governor, eternity movement, and admin strain which are per zone; or mining difficulty which is defined in the tile you're mining (1-9). All production is affected by the first three, but mining difficulty only affects mines (metal, rare, oil, atomic, water). Soil demetalization is a factory, not a mine, so it has the same base production anywhere, forever. Same with solar plant, nuclear plant, volcanic energy, synthetic fuel, etc. Anything built outside the mine tab (less outdoor farming).
>>
>>800769
RIP
Well I still enjoy it but I guess that likely puts the kibosh on my hopes of there being a terraforming/pollution expansion or mod in the future.
>>
>>800754
>think they're going to take me for a ride?
You don't have to buy from them. You aren't the only one they're selling to. If people buy, the price rises. What I'm saying is that the buy prices depend on it being bought and the sell prices depend on it being sold. They aren't tied that tightly to each other. What would be a problem is if you could start making money because they somehow started selling for less than they bought for. Besides that, if they have high prices it's good for you because you can tax them when your cities buy stuff from them.
>>
File: Untitled.png (384 KB, 940x356)
384 KB
384 KB PNG
>>800769
>>
>>800540
i found like 12 oil deposits but zero metal
>>
this game is disappointment
>>
>>794163
>>797913
The only game that I have played that had AI that pleasantly surprised me was command ops 2.
The enemy AI excellent at making tactical decisions, it is also capable of ambushes, raids, delayed retreats, flanks etc. It honestly feels like I am playing against a human at times. To top it all off, you have an "AI" of your own, in the sense that you can give orders to groups of units, and they will perform whatever task you give them dynamically/smartly without you having to micro them.

It is honestly a joy to play. The base game is completely free on steam, you will however have to pay for more missions (there are some community free maps that are worth trying if you're still on the fence, their quality varies).

I might blogpost a playthrough here later
>>
Just won my first game via being the senior partner of a victory pact. Was at war with one major for exactly one turn when they declared on my protectorate before they peace’s out. Beginner was definitely too low of a difficulty to start on haha.
>>
>>800048
>The best way I can see to get a desirable faction profile is to keep eliminating factions until one spawns with your three profiles you want.
This. Invest PP in the interior council so you can hire/retire people. You should soon be getting a third and fourth faction that will start with a single leader. Try to first eliminate the faction that's least like the playstyle you're aiming for. Always eliminate one faction at a time.

"Recruit junior" and the like will have weighted preferences based on the support for the different factions during the last election. The leader stratagem "Support faction" will give a boost in the next election.

Unaligned leaders with preferences will join a similar faction first (or start one, if you only have 2 factions and more than about a dozen leaders), followed by leaders who hate everything and random dissenters from established factions (again based on preferences). So, give a leader of a new faction you like a safe job (= not OHQ) even if he's a geriatric cap I, then eliminate members until the ones left join your preferred faction(s). I usually fire the secretary for 24PP as he can get quite unhappy and replace him with a factional cap I guy from the reserve pool; he will never lose his faction, but the ex-secretary can now join one.

Recruiting/firing new leaders is cheap and easy with Bronze/Zero retirement, and even though assassinations and a skilled special ops guy is cheaper if you're low on credits, you need a large source of new leaders, hence the interior council's importance. Your experienced leaders (e.g. starting ones) will usually require Silver/Gold retirements. Making them rebel (aided if you fire everyone in a single faction which will make them super unhappy due to the simultaneous purge) may be the cheaper option and the militia spawned is an easy target for military exercises. Suicidal charges are another option (line battalions can get the leader killed even if the HQ is hexes away).
>>
>>802470
>CO2 AI
Anon, you only think that because the FoW is so dense in CO2 that you can't see that the AI's actions are just a simple script.
>an ambush
If "not moving the units placed in the woods near a victory point by the scenario creator" is your idea of a skilled ambush, I don't know what to say.
>raid
Like the player, the AI usually receives reinforcements on a schedule which will be scripted by the scenario creator to move toward a victory point or wait along a line of communication until the player stumbles into them. What a clever AI.
>retreat
Units move away from the attacker when their organization or whatever it's called in CO2 drops too low. They'll stop once they break LOS to regain org. If you keep advancing back into LOS, you'll find that they've cleverly ambushed you (again!) but because their org is low they'll soon retreat again. What a masterful play.
>flanks
Walking your army past a unit in the woods because you didn't see it and didn't bother to scout doesn't mean the AI cleverly flanked you. The AI getting reinforcements from a line of communication off-axis to the line of advance is also not a clever flanking maneuver, it's a scripted flanking maneuver.
I honestly don't know how you picked CO2 as an example of good AI when the "AI" essentially does nothing. The scenario designer scripts what he wants to happen and the AI just reads the script. I enjoy CO2 but it's not replayable other than for a high score, because once you understand the scenario nothing can surprise you. Suggesting that it's the epitome of skilled AI is not a dumb opinion, it's a wrong opinion.
>>
Do you:
>Discover all possible inventions for your current tech level and research them all later?
>>> Discover budget = 100% ----- Research budget = 100%
>Balanced approach: Discover and research = 60/40 - 20/80 - 50/50?
>>
>>803959
Research 3 so I can unlock the next rank then discover until I can research 3 more. Something like 90% research 10% discover so the BP reduction from too much BP isn't totally wasted and I can immediately discover things when I am able to again.
>>
>>803959
Research priority to open up more of the tree, generally I go 60/40 first then move to 80/20 depending on the situation. I only bump up discovery if I'm desperately missing a certain discovery.

You can micromanage it if you want but it's not super necessary most of the time. The game auto-redistributes if there's nothing to discover/nothing to research at the moment.
>>
>>804166
It redistributes research to discovery if there's nothing to research, but not the other way around.
>>
Is there any way to set a formation posture back to no posture? I set one to all out attack to take a city but now I want a more neutral posture but there doesn't seem to be such a thing and I can't cancel the old one.
>>
>>804500
You have to go into unit admin (the button on the right sidebar) for the OHQ to take it off.
>>
>>803446
What a retarded reductionist reddit tier "look at me being clever" post. Feel ashamed.
>>
>>804723
Are you denying how Command Ops 2 scenarios work?
>>
>>803446
I think you're confusing Command Ops 2 with Command: Modern Operations
>>
>>805073
You can't deny how something works retard, it works how it works. Think, then type.
What I am denying is that your previous drivel post had an ounce of truth in it.
>>
>>805424
He very likely is, going by his other post. But he is in too deep now, his only option is to double down and act like a bigger retard (of course all "pretend")
>>
>>803446
CO2 AI likely has the best generic AI in any commercial game right now. The fact that it can still be improved says more about how shit AI is in other games and how incredibly hard it is to code AI.

I can't think of a single game out there right now with better generic AI. Though I am not saying there isn't a better one out there.
>>
>>803446
CO2 AI is not scenario scripted, some scenarios add objectives for the AI only.

Yes anon, that is indeed what an ambush is.

You quote "raid", then talk to yourself about things that have nothing to do with "raid" or anything else anyone other than you talked about. Take your medication schizo.

That is indeed what a delaying retreat is.

That is indeed what a flank is.

Bravo, all your text to tell us that the AI can indeed do all those things to then conclude the AI does nothing. I have never even played the game, but your are an idiot who can't even agree with himself.
>>
The turn times are killing me. I'm never going full retard again with preapoc pop
>>
>>749949
1. road signal micromanagement made me quit, I want to command armies not play a road manager every turn
2. AI playing by completely different rules and not having to deal with retarded cabinet staff was agonizing

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.