[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 79 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Federation Chad.png (252 KB, 940x534)
252 KB
252 KB PNG
move your shiplet, cruisechad is going to leave
>>
>>702777
>Where we're going we don't need sfety regulations
>>
How the fuck people use Slug B? It's the worst ship in the game. After several attempts I could only win with it when I found a pair of Flaks early.
>>
File: 1619868245983.png (21 KB, 606x415)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>703079
You just answered your own question.
>>
File: basilisk.jpg (62 KB, 640x360)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
All these years and it's still the best and most fun ship.
>>
File: SNAFU.png (512 KB, 1275x761)
512 KB
512 KB PNG
>>703379
all fun and games until...
>>
>>702777
I'm pretty disappointed in the Fed Cruiser C, despite it looking pretty great. You literally pay 4 power and like 220 scrap for what amounts to a Flak II cannon. You can't even speed up its charge by crewing it, nor can you do anything but try to time your other guns around when it fires.

At least the other two cruisers have the benefit of completely piercing shields so you can make a good argument that it just inflicts slow, steady damage on the target without a lot of interaction, the C should've fired 25-50% faster to make it worthwhile.
>>
>>703366
It's pretty sad that you need to ditch a ship's original design to make it viable. Same thing with Rock A.

>>703379
I like Stealth C the most. On paper it's supposed to be terrible, but its design actually works pretty well.
>>
>>703079
I play a random ship every day or so for the last few years, and it seems like I always get Slug B a lot. Unlike the Engi B, where you can sell your drones early and just upgrade subsystems, you're stuck with using the heal bomb for a while until you can get a gun, by which time you're invariably behind the curve for scrap and having to play catchup.

My suggestion is to accept that your run will be bad and just upgrade shields as early as possible, you might even miss out on a gun for this, but at least you'll make it to sector 4 without trouble with two shields. If you can get rockmen or a mantis, use them for boarding and stick with the original design, get either a medbay or a clone bay, otherwise grab a bunch of guns and hope for the best. Don't be afraid to waste some missiles early on if an enemy ship is just too tough to board with your slugs, better to waste eight or so missiles in a slow fight without incident than lose slugs early on because you can't charge your healing bomb fast enough.

Fire/Breach Bombs can be an interesting choice for a backup as well, not only do they disable a room they hit, they take up people to repair them so they give your slugs impunity while breaking other rooms. Can't fire guns if a breach bomb just knocked them offline and the room has vented all its O2.
>>
File: Captured.png (1.62 MB, 1821x1011)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB PNG
>>703379
based
>>
>>704114
>killing the lazor guy
>>
>>704476
Really at that point it doesn't matter anymore because it's not like the AI can repair itself faster than you can break it.
>>
>>704114
I hope you beamed those brave lads out before it blew, anon
>>
What's generally considered to be the best ship? I've played the game so much but done it without outside information so whatever has developed as a sort of metagame throughout the years is completely outside of my knowledge.
>>
medbay + teleporter is the true chad choice

i can't remember, is there a ship with a large teleporter that starts with a medbay?
>>
>>705973
stealth b cannot fail, it can only be failed
>>
File: CrystalBSystems.png (478 KB, 1280x720)
478 KB
478 KB PNG
>>705979
oh right here we go
>>
File: MantisBSystems.png (457 KB, 1280x720)
457 KB
457 KB PNG
shit it's been too long since i played this
>>
>>705986
legitimately the most overpowered ship in the game
>>
>>705711
clone lives don't matter
>>
>>705986
>runs into autoship
what do now?
>>
>>706185
don't do that, noob
>>
also l3 tele recharges faster than a human asphyxicates, so you just need l3 tele plus a single damaging weapon of any kind
>>
>>706185
Then you do a 360º turn and jump away.
>>
>>705973
Lanius B, hands down.

>>706198
Level 2 teleporter is enough. Just don't get shot in the teleporter or your crew dies.
Also crystals ave 125 so there's more room for error.
>>
>>706624
>>706198
T2 teleport is enough for a regular crewman to not die
T3 allows you to vaccum zoltans
T1 is enough for Crystals because they take half the dmg from asphyxiation.
>>
>>702777
>Get Flak and Burst 2 in same shop
It was fun having you chain burst laser but time to upgrade and never look back
>>
>ftl
>strategy
>>
>>707498
>Burst 2
best weapon in the game.
>>
>>707520
Yes.
>>
>Ships weapons loadout can barely take out 2 shields so I have to get Hacking early
>Forced into slug nebula, need my hacking for enemy ships
>Got my clone bay hijacked before I could upgrade it and lost a crew
>This motherfucker turns off my oxygen but he ran out of missiles so I can keep clooning
I agree with the rebels on one thing, Slugs should be gassed.
>>
>>708470
There's a saying in FTL lore: "You can always trust a Slug to betray you"
>>
>>708470
>>708775
Slugs are the best pilots in the game. Love them
>>
>>708470
SLUGGED
>>
>>708470
funny race. built for BMC (big mantis claws)
>>
How do I win with the type A engi ship?
>>
>pick a stealth ship
>first battle is against a mini beam
>>
File: 1470694524455.png (167 KB, 636x819)
167 KB
167 KB PNG
>>711299
>pick a stealth ship
>first battle is against a ship with a combat drone
>in an asteroid field
>>
File: ftl faggotron.png (16 KB, 1062x261)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>711466
>flying into an asteroid field when you have the long-range scanner
>>
>>710824
idk just be yourself
>>
>>706185
Should've made upgrading teleporter a priority so you can beam your bois back before they run out of hp.
>>
>>711299
>pick a stealth ship
>win
Stealth A is one of the best ships in the game. Might even be in the top five, up there with Mantis B and Crystal B.
Fight me.
>>
>>703412
sell me on cap's edition. any good?
>>
>>710824
Engi A has got three levels of weapons, three levels of drone control, the ion blast 2 and a combat drone as well as an augmentation you can sell. Oh did I forget to mention you have an Engi crewmember, your weapons is hit you can get it back online and they have a lot of blue options.

Engi A is one of the better ships, only downside is you lose a weapon slot, but there is plenty of good three weapon configurations.
>>
>>714581
it's bloat and has a bunch of dumb shit, but it's ok to try for the novelty
>>
what is it with the hatred for cloning + teleporter
do people really perfer to micro their fucking squad with medbay instead of just sending the same group of mantis and rockmen fresh into the meatgriner time and time again
>>
>>715001
It takes forever to grind up combat skills with dying once or twice per ship
>>
>>715001
Micro with medbay is really not bad at all, can actually be quite fun and provides a significant tactical advantage
If you're just spamming missiles and not hacking or whatever you'll be focusing mostly on medbay+teleporting anyway
>>
>>715001
Micro in FTL is very important plus it can be fun and you get the benefit of rapidly mastering the fighting skill. Unless you buy or get the clone fail-safe then you can literally be 1 missile away from losing up to two crewmembers which can be ruinous if you're near sector 8 and don't have a backup option.
>>
>>715001
i bet this FILTYH FUCKING CASUAL doesn't even shuffle his guys around for infinite medbay capacity
>>
>>714581
It's shit. Get arsenal+ instead.
>>
>>714489
Ok. But how do you actually kill it then?
>>
>>715865
You can technically teleport your guys back after they kill the ship but before it explodes. It's practically frame-perfect, though; if you don't do it EXACTLY right than your guys are dead.
Realistically Crystal B should just run from scouts until it gets a gun or clone bay. That's one of the things Mantis B has over it, the boarding drone can kill scouts right from the start.
>>
>>715909
>It's practically frame-perfect
I don't remember it being that way, you have until the graphic for the room is removed, which is a second or so.
>>
>>715998
>>715909
You have the time between when the killing blow is launched, as in the boarder attack that will break the system and deal fatal damage to the enemy ship, and when said attack lands to warp out. It's not something you can do on reflex, you need to know which attack it is that's going to kill it. I think.
Just get a gun. You need it for zoltans anyway.
>>
Six crew and a small bomb before sector 2, also traded one fuel for four missiles, best start I could get with this ship
>>
>>716175
>small bomb

best weapon
>>
>>716335
I would prefer a BL2 but that costs 80 scrap to buy and 40 scrap to upgrade my weapons to power it, by the time I get that online I need another weapon because everyone has 2 shields, the Small Bomb is lovely because I don't have to upgrade weapons for a while.

Abandoned sector is better than uncharted if you got 2 mantis and the respirators still?
>>
>>703079
It's miles better than something like the Rock A at least.
>>
>>716360
Yes, the lanius never have medical bays. So if you have a clone bay it's easy to kill all the lanius even if it takes several waves. When done just shoot the clone bay to block them from coming back.
Much better to pick abandoned than uncharted nebula.
>>
File: 1605189442094.png (559 KB, 1366x663)
559 KB
559 KB PNG
Are any of the mods worth playing?
>>
>>716514
Got great weapons plus a reloader, only regert is not being able to afford flak level 4
>>
>>716540
Multiverse is great. It adds a lot of content so it might seem daunting at first but if you've already seen everything there is to see in base FTL I'd highly recommend it.

>>716552
>no cloaking or hacking
Chad
>>
>>716540
Is there a mod that lets me fly a drone carrier? Something that doesn't have guns of its own but lets me field a crazy number of drones like Flagship fight 2.
>>
>>717428
Multiverse has ships with 2 weapon slots and 4 drone slots.
>>
>>702777
i've only unlocked like 3 ships on this game and i've had it almost since release...
>>
>>717682
Okay, but have you been playing it since release?
>>
>>715019
>>715030
>>715057
>>715220
i can micro fine. its just really tedious to dick around with medbay instead of throwing them in waves to cause mayhem
the xp loss doesn't really matter either since mantis/rockmen will beat the shit out of anyone who isn't a mantis or rockman by default
>>
the shields don't matter you just need two BL2

their missiles don't matter you just need a defense drone

the damage doesn't matter you just need some scrap for repairs
>>
>>703827
Wut? It has a teleporter, anything else hardly matters.
>>
>>714581
No, CE is bloated and chaotic. If you want a full conversion mod get Multiverse, instead.
>>
>>719536
>defeat doesn't mater, you can just restart
>>
>>729060
yes
>>
Farmed a few encounters before flagship phase 3, got a fucking vulcan, managed to upgrade weapons just in time for the final battle, got an auto reloader and stealth weapons. Also got lucky enough to unlock the Crystal Cruiser
>>
>>729419
Why is a spaceship wearing MARPAT?
>>
>>730439
because space camuflage.
>>
>>716540
I have the 21st most hours in this game out of everyone on steam.

Yes, AE is alright and imo worth playing, but it's kinda crazy. Then multiverse is really where it's at. You can have a magnetic arm installed through the menu and it allows you to hang out on sector 1 and clear ships and still get their loot. Provided your engines are good enough or if you have cloaking, you can just keep killing ships through the ASB.
>>
>>702777
are you forced to use boarders in order to get enough scrap to make it to endgame?
Boarding is gay and cringe
>>
>>702777
worst ship type in game
>>
File: Best boarders.gif (404 KB, 176x140)
404 KB
404 KB GIF
>>734525
Holy fuck, how did your engi ass get past captcha?
>>
>>734642
Rock and maybe Engi are worse.
>>
File: tom cruise.gif (2.69 MB, 320x214)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB GIF
>>734525
>he doesn't cannibalize his own ship for parts
>>
>>702777
shabed lige benis XDDD
>>
>>702777
how complex is this game?
>>
>>737549
simple mechanics, good gameplay depth
>>
>>737549
It does a good job of keeping you on the edge. Expect to lose the first or second times until you get to a competent at the tactical level.
>>
>>737549
Easy to play, hard to master. It's a game of resource management and doing more with less, more about learning what and when to prioritize than anything else.

>>738731
>first or second
Heh.
>>
>>737549
doesn't matter how good you are. if RNGesus wants you to fail, you will.
>>
>>738782
>Heh.

it's really not that hard
>>
>>738893
Never made it to sector 5 until I knew the pilot guy is not useless. Then I won normal with mantis B and hard with lanius B in the same day
>>
File: mantis engi.png (1.77 MB, 1681x951)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB PNG
>block your path
is it possible to win aisnt such ship?
>>
>>702777
What's the better strategy at the start? Saving up scrap for weapons/modules or using them to upgrade stuff like the reactor and engine for higher dodge chance?
>>
>>743688
Save up for a weapon or module at the next store. If they have nothing good, upgrade right after fixing yourself to 2/3 max hp.
>>
>>743721
thanks king
>>
unfortunately CE is bloated as fuck and multiverse has tranny shit and donut steel level writing
there will never be a good FTL expansion
>>
>>743785
>multiverse has tranny shit
I haven't noticed any, but Multiverse is legitimately great for the amount of content it provides.
The only criticism I have is that sometimes games feel a little bit too samey, but that might be because I have had 100+ runs trying to beat every ship on hard mode.
>>
>>743688
First 50 scrap goes into level 2 shields 90% of the time. Engines are cheap up to level 4-5. I usually get those first.
The question of when to save and what to save for depends on the ship and where you are in the game.
>>
>>743688
Upgrade to 2 shields
Find enemy ship you can farm at zero risk.
Improve your offense before sector 3. Saving 80 scrap ensures you can buy flak 1, bl2, or hacking. Other weapons can do in a pinch. Don't overbuy weapons because weapon upgrades get very expensive to use them together. Drone control is an awful purchase unless it's bundled with a combat drone and you found nothing else to improve your offense. Mind control, teleporter are situational but hacking is almost never wrong. Cloaking is almost always a mistake at this point.
Don't get cocky and avoid the fleet until you have good weapons, hacking, and cloaking.When you are no longer a noob you will learn that a few ship setups can dive past the exit with little risk
>>
>>747249
>Drone control is an awful purchase unless it's bundled with a combat drone and you found nothing else to improve your offense.
Drone control is a good purchase if it's got a defense drone or you already have one.
>>
>>747570
is defense drone 1 or 2 better? I dislike 2 since it shoots down lasers when I'd prefer it go for missiles more often and gets too easily distracted
>>
>>748480
In case of DDrones, 1>2.
not only does it not get distracted by things your shields can stop, but it'a also cheaper and not so power hungry.
>>
>>743078
Did you really replace the medbay on the Basilisk with a clonebay? What the fuck is wrong with you?
Jesus Christ, anyone could win with the Basilisk.
>>
>>748480
If you only have one drone you're better off with defence one.
But if you have two drones defence 1 plus defence 2 is an unstoppable combo; you're pretty much immune to rockets, even on the flagship.
>>
>>747570
>Drone control is a good purchase if it's got a defense drone
Mandatory reminder that if you see drone control in shop and it comes with something but defense I, you can quit the game and reload. It will be defense I after that.
>>
>>702777
based thread.
got me playing this again.
>>
>>750267
I saw this thread a month ago and now I've wasted the whole of august playing this.
>>
>>702777
How is Multiverse? Is it less linear than the base game?
>>
bamp
>>
Just starting out, but it just seems too RNG heavy. Every 1st sector enemy I run into usually has missiles, which I have no real defense against until I can begin to upgrade my engines, so I'm reliably spending 30 scrap on repairs in the first shop I reach.

My own missiles never seem to be worth using, as they have terrible aim and if that improves with usage, I have no idea as I always run out first.

Got far enough to unlock the Engi ship, only to find out that enemy weapons can sometimes just shoot your drones, which I've never managed, or can't figure out how to do. You also will run out of drones ~20 fights in.

I feel like I'm meant to play this game just restarting the first sector over and over until I get a freebie weapon or augment and then just run with that, which doesn't feel right.
>>
>>751378
>game is RNG heavy
welcome to the world of rogalikes. roll a dice to take a seat.

>spend scrap on repair
make sure to always leave 5HP missing in case of surprise free repair event. You may save some scrap this way. (or you may die horribly. who knows.)

>inaccurate missiles.
all weapons have (100-enemy evasion)% accuracy. It does not improve. If you want to guarantee a hit, take out their piloting and/or engines.
>run out of missiles.
use them only when absolutely necessary.
Kestrel A starts with best weapon in the game and unless you run into someone with 3 shields, you should have no reason to use missiles. and by the time you reach triple shielded enemies you should have some other weapon or offensive system (hacking, teleport, drones)

stay stronk, captain friend. The unfair, Random and brutal galaxy will kick your ass again and again and again, but evenetually, you will succeed. some day.
>>
>>751378
A person can win more than half the games they play in FTL. You just suck.
>>
>>751378
Hit their weapons first if they've got something dangerous.
>>
>>751541
*more than 99%
>>
>>750403
same, I just installed the multiverse mod after getting bored with the base game and I don't know what I've gotten myself into
>>
>>748480
>>748502
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrzYyS2Ws40
You don't need to watch the whole thing but people seriously underrate def drone 2.
>>
>>752884
>literal arcane knowledge that only the most dedicated of autists will discover
no wonder everyone thinks it's shit lmao
>>
>>748797
>medbay
I dont want my mantises to have to go through eternal torture
btw is boarding drone good? it doesnt seem to do much for me
>>
>>748797
Clone bay is good, you dumb nerd.

>>754369
Boarding drone is fine early on. Helps with boarding when your crew is low, good against drones which are one of your two banes, is a stopgap ship killer. It's best to sell it once you've got a gun and 3-4 boarders.
>>
>>754369
Sell it mid-game. Until then it's useful
>>
>>751541
>>751912
>>752225
>>751486
Me again, do you play with Advanced Edition enabled?

Soon as I disabled it, completed my first run on hard with almost no problem.
>>
>>756193
yes. git gud.
>>
>>756199
There's nothing for me to do, it's bizarre. First encounter is always an autoscout with missiles, his first shot hits my engines, by Mk2 lands one shot on the shields, then misses the other two. Every single time.

Advanced Edition off, I got an event giving me the pre-igniter for free, over the next two sectors 3 ships drop weapons after combat, is that stuff disabled in the AE?
>>
>>754819
Clonebay is good for Zoltan allah-akbaring, high risk crew events and defensive ships.
But if you keep your mantises alive with medbay, you'll have a murder party that can easily kill 2 crews each before they need to withdraw for healing.
>>
>>756214
Clone bay is still good for mantises. The auto-healing is often enough for the reasons you stated, combat experience grows back fast if you gotta clone-heal your boarders, and clone bay eliminates the risk on a ton of events as it does for all ships. It's also just a huge safety net for your crew, which is really good when said crew is how you're going to win.

>>756193
Keep AE on all the time, every time, if only for it making the game better.
It does make the game easier. Hacking and flak are really, really good.
>>
File: LaniusBSystems.png (573 KB, 1280x720)
573 KB
573 KB PNG
I'm going to teach you how to board with this beast:
>Teleport into shields room
>Pause the game
>Mind control whoever comes to fight you
>Move your guys to weapons, oxygen, whatever you want to kill first
>Unpause
Now the enemies' crew is fighting among each other and you're guys are free the wreak havoc.
>>
>>758973
chad
>>
>>758973
You can do this with the mantis too right?
>>
>>758973
Is this ship the most OP ship? Best weapon, strong boarding setup. I lost both lanius inside a fleeing ship so I have to switch build entierly halfway, still win in hard mode
>>
>>759489
Crystal B is still the best, but Lanius B is still up there for sure.
>>
>>759489
second only to the crystal B yeah
https://sullla.com/FTL/ftltierlist.html
>>
>>759765
Pretty good list, but there is absolutely no way Stealth A should be that low.
>>
>>759999
The list ranks ships for hard mode.
Stealth ships are especially fucked in hard mode, since the enemy has a chance to prioritize important systems, effectively being able to end your game before you get your shields.
>>
File: ftl stealth.png (296 KB, 631x683)
296 KB
296 KB PNG
>>760498
I know. There's no way Stealth A should be that low. That ship is easily one of the best in the game; starting with cloaking is better than starting with shields.
>>
>>760505
Which ships do you think should be below Stealth A?
>>
>>760498
I feel like everyone's experience with Stealth A is different because it's much more RNG-dependent than shielded ships.
If you rarely get game overs because of shitty RNG, you're going to think that the ship is great.
If you got consistently screwed over by RNG, you're going to think that the ship is dogshit.
The difference between this one and, for example, Engi C, is that your ship is going to be much more powerful with Stealth A later on, but with Kestral A you have higher chances of surviving early.
>>
>>760505
> starting with cloaking is better than starting with shields
In what FUCKING universe?
When I play on EASY I have even odds of getting my shit pushed in within two sectors unless I luck into shields early. Cloaking lets you survive one weapons volley and delay a second. With a shield ship my only concern in early sectors is missiles, with cloaking all I have is one volley I can survive before I start getting hit with death by chip damage.
>>
Are drones a trap?

In the early sectors where a 1 damage weapon is strong enough, you barely get any drone parts and burn out if you end up trying to defense drone against all missiles.

In the later sectors where drone parts fall out of the sky, none of the drones seem strong enough to be worth it and evasion and especially cloaking are far more useful against missiles..

Anti-drone drones seem so common for enemy ships and with your drones randomly targeting they're unlikely to disable one fast enough before it takes out all of yours.

Seems like even on Engi ships, you're better off pumping scrap into direct weapons and selling the drones rather than trying to specialize. Hacking is overpowered, but it's a separate system in the first place.
>>
>>760996
There's really no reason to take drones anymore since AE came out, the other systems are way better. Even if I didn't get hacking to use up my drone parts I'd still take mind control and crew tele over drones because I can rely on them to actually do something. If you start with the drones system you can sell off offensive drones to help buy good weapons, I'd keep a defense drone around until I get cloaking though.
>>
>>760996
Yes. The only drone worth a damn is defense 1, and that's only if you really can't handle missiles (although this isn't too uncommon on hard mode).

FTL Multiverse actually has some pretty powerful drones, if you want more drone-oriented gameplay. But IIRC it also introduces some pretty meh drones, as well, unfortunately.
You can even manually control crew-drones like the system repair drone and anti-personell drone, as well as many of the drones being toggable for another mode, e.g. anti-personell drone can be turned into a boarding drone, defensive laser drone can be turned into an offensive laser drone, etc.
>>
>>760534
Most of them. It's top five at the very least.

>>760879
>In what FUCKING universe?
This one.
Cloaking survives one volley without damage much more consistently than shields, and surviving one volley is all you need. Stealth A's weapons are really strong and really fast and end early fights in 2-3 volleys.

>unless I luck into shields early
Shields are THE most common thing if you don't have them. Any shop that sells systems will have shields. You are very, very likely to get shields in sector 1 or at least 2. They're expensive, but with long range scanners, powerful weapons, and a 40-scrap system plating to sell it's not at all hard to afford them.
It's really not that big a deal. The ship's crew and three weapon slots are bigger downsides than it's lack of shields.

>>760879
It's true. Sometimes you run into nothing but drones and beams in sector 1, sometimes you don't get a shop. That's FTL, baby.
The catch is that if you do get RNG screwed on the Stealth A it's in sector 1, which is the least painful place to get fucked over.
>>
>>761232
>Sometimes you run into nothing but drones and beams in sector 1,
Or, what's much more common, your first volley misses or doesn't deal enough damage and you're left with nothing more than just ship evasion until your cloaking is off cooldown.

As you've said, it doesn't matter if your start is very unfavorable when you can just restart the game, but the guide makes no mention of factoring that in.
By default, the guide should be treated as "which ship are you most likely to win the game with?" and early deaths are explicitly accounted for, meaning that the tiering is consistent.
>>
>>761243
>Or, what's much more common, your first volley misses or doesn't deal enough damage and you're left with nothing more than just ship evasion until your cloaking is off cooldown.
That happens too, but I'm talking about stuff that fucks you up so bad that you'll probably call it restart. This usually doesn't.

>By default, the guide should be treated as "which ship are you most likely to win the game with?" and early deaths are explicitly accounted for, meaning that the tiering is consistent.
That's very misleading logic.
>>
>>761252
>This usually doesn't.
Early, successive bad ship encounters encourage restarts.
>That's very misleading logic.
It's not "misleading logic", it's literally how the tiering system of that particular website operates.
>>
>>761253
>it's literally how the tiering system of that particular website operates.
Yes, and that's misleading.
And inaccurate. Haven't actually kept track or anything, but I probably finish the game more consistently with Stealth A than any other ship.

Don't think for a second that I'm saying that Stealth A is so good because you can restart sector 1 a dozen times until you get a good start and coast to victory. That's not the case at all.
>>
>>761269
>Yes, and that's misleading.
Misleading in what way? Stop being vague.
>but I probably finish the game more consistently with Stealth A than any other ship.
Your personal experience does not negate that player's personal experience, not to mention that most people would outright disagree.
>>
>>761275
>Misleading in what way?
>And inaccurate. Haven't actually kept track or anything, but I probably finish the game more consistently with Stealth A than any other ship.

>Your personal experience does not negate that player's personal experience, not to mention that most people would outright disagree.
If personal experience doesn't matter than most people disagreeing doesn't matter either. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.
Do you want me get some actual numbers? It'd take a bit, but I don't mind running through sector 1 a dozen times and getting some data.
>>
>>761296
>>And inaccurate. Haven't actually kept track or anything, but I probably finish the game more consistently with Stealth A than any other ship.
Re-read your own post, you have made 2 different claims:
The tiering system is misleading -> the way data is evaluated isn't intuitive or is deceitful
The tiering system is inaccurate -> the data is wrong

>Do you want me get some actual numbers? It'd take a bit, but I don't mind running through sector 1 a dozen times and getting some data.
Yeah, take note of
>Total scrap collected
>Hull damage recieved
>Dead? (y/n)
when you reach the exit beacon.
With the additional clause: Visit as many beacons as possible before the exit becaon gets taken over.

That would be pretty interesting.
>>
>>761307
They're similar enough to be interchangeable. You're sorta technically right, but it's not worth fussing over.
Alright, I'll do that tonight/tomorrow.
>>
>>761333
I mean, the entire point of my post was that you were the one making the distinction between the two terms, else you wouldn't have clarified "And inaccurate." followed by expanding into a different aspect entirely.

Good luck with that FTL calc, though.
>>
>>761338
>else you wouldn't have clarified "And inaccurate."
That was me realizing I should have clarified what I meant in >>761252 in the first place and trying to gracefully cover my ass.
>>
sweet, ftl thread

>tfw have finally beaten the game on easy + normal mode with every ship and layout in the game

unironically i would guess 90%+ of my winning runs were due to hacking, its just such a game changing system to get.

>brilliant even only when upgraded to level 2, and at level 1 you can just hack their engines/shields to take their evasion to zero for one volley of weapons
>low power cost even fully upgraded, less than 1 glaive beam, and only 1 drone part per use whereas combat/beam drones can die from weapon fire - if enemy has defence drones they can hit them, but theres a slight cheese to get around that (i think the devs dont consider it an exploit unlike how, say, in unpatched versions where you could grind evasion in asteroid fields, which they patched out)
>restricts enemy movement significantly, so works really well with fire bombs/beams/boarding strats
>80 scrap initial outlay, cheaper than cloaking or a teleporter
>can hack weapons in tandem with cloaking if you have it, so the enemy pretty much cant hit you

so fucking good. most fun runs tended to be hacking + fire beam + something like a def drone mk2 or cloaking to beef up defences, or hacking + boarding and murdering their crew before they can run away to a med bay

As a final point - i legit really liked just about all of the zoltan ships, the zoltan shield is great at just about everything early game to keep your run alive except i) enemy attack drones or ii) asteroid fields. Once your regular shields are up to scratch and you've got a decent amount of power they're just great to use, the one that starts with 2x ion weapons and a pike beam (actually it might be a halberd, even better lmao) is a weapon setup thats just about flagship ready right off the bat

zoltan shield also delays enemy boarding or hacking, which if you get shit like cloaking or a def drone 2 + eventually hit that magical 45% evasion mark, buys you time to charge up your shit
>>
onions cuck
>>
>>761358
You might want to check out Multiverse after you've burnt yourself out with vanilla FTL.
It kinda ruined my love for the original FTL with how much content is added.
>>
File: gun-to-head-nodding.gif (2 MB, 266x200)
2 MB
2 MB GIF
>AE edition nerfed scrap from killing crew from +50% to +10%
>I've been running on fire and ion lockdown-ing 02 for years, all for almost nothing

In maybe related news, I'm now finally able to beat hard mode runs
>>
>>761368

ta for the heads up - yeah, ive seen some of the multiverse stuff on yt, i reckon ill give it a bash
>>
>>761370
You're also a lot more likely to get extra rewards with boarding. Fuel, crew, a weapon, etc.
>>
>>761307
>Yeah, take note of
>Total scrap collected
>Hull damage recieved
>Dead? (y/n)
How does non-scrap loot factor in to this? Weapons, crew, etc.

>>761358
Zoltan shield is the best augment in the game, period.
One thing I do like about that tier list is the Zoltan A being so high. Most lists put somewhere near the middle, which is just a huge mistake. It's such consistently incredibly powerful ship.
>>
>>761829
>How does non-scrap loot factor in to this?
The more things you can keep track of the better.
>>
>>761838
Alright. I did 19 runs before calling it. Didn't do anything special, just played as usual. Risk hull for events, accept slaver surrenders, never take options that risk crew, accept surrenders with a weapon/augment, etc.
Note that when I'm counting up my scrap total I'm counting the titanium system casing augment as 40 by default. It gets sold at the first shop almost all the time and is one of the Stealth A's perks.

>Total hull damage, total scrap, extra loot/crew/etc

>8, 155
>9, 189
>12, 185, repair burst and 1 crew
>11, 214, 1 crew
>30, 157, 1 crew and DEATH
>17, 182, auto reloader and 3 crew
>2, 205, fire drone
>5, 172, beam drone I and 1 crew
>19, 217, heavy ion
>17, 204, ion charger and beam drone I
>12, 140, 1 crew
>19, 185, 1 crew
>20, 219, 5 free repair
>20, 183, small bomb
>8, 205
>7, 202, small bomb(sold)
>6, 151, 1 crew and ion bomb
>9, 154
>1, 252, 5 free repair and 3 crew and bio beam and ion charger(sold) and no way am I ditching this one

There. Data.
Things of note:
>Of those runs, only 7 of them had shields by the end of sector 1. However, besides that one death every one of them made it out of sector 1 with enough raw scrap to buy them, usually with some change leftover. If you count damage as -2 scrap each than all but 1 run makes the cut.
>Speaking of repairs, I'm not gonna pretend those hull damage numbers look good. 20 damage is a lot. Some of that's me picking fights I shouldn't, but Stealth A still does take a beating in sector 1, cloak be damned. And that's fine. Once you pick up shields that number drops like a rock, and you've got the entire rest of the run to find some free repair events or cheap early repairs. I wouldn't consider a single one of these runs a failure.

Fuck me, this is the most reddit post I've ever made.
>>
>>761894
ok stealth a is the best ship
>>
>>761894
> Stealth A still does take a beating in sector 1, cloak be damned. And that's fine.
NO IT ISN'T, THAT IS THE ENTIRE POINT.
I respect that you like to live on the edge but some of us dislike the prospect of relying on luck for basic fucking survival. Which is what Stealth A does. That's the only thing you can do when you LACK SHIELDS. For me, even a 50% chance to dodge without shields is near a fucking death sentence because if the enemy hits a system I was using, like weapons, it starts a death spiral.
Especially in sector 1, before you have enough upgrades on your systems to buffer the important ones and crew to shuffle around and repair shit without making the problem worse by leaving shit unmanned which really needed to be manned.
This is the problem that titanium system casing was MEANT to solve. The devs acknowledged that Stealth A was going to be taking hits in those early sectors. The issue is that, as I'm sure you've worked out since you're counting titanium system casing as 40 bonus scrap rather than for its function, it fucking doesn't solve that problem in the slightest. It just adds another potential layer of "luck saved my ass" to a ship that already lives or dies on that luck. If you take one unlucky shot to piloting, cloaking, weapons, or engines (in order of priority, top to bottom) you are anywhere from "dead to rights" to "likely to take 5+ more damage before you can end the fight one way or another".
Is there some enormous fucking strategic difference between you and me that makes shit like "oops you took a shot to piloting now you have to take the rest of the volley basically guaranteed :^)" survivable for you? Or are you just a lucky fucking bastard?
>>
>>762221
>Is there some enormous fucking strategic difference between you and me that makes shit like "oops you took a shot to piloting now you have to take the rest of the volley basically guaranteed :^)" survivable for you?
Yeah. Git gud.
You start the game with 30 hull. That is a LOT of heath. Sector 1 weapons are not going to break that. See that one death in there? That's entirely my own fault. Got cocky, dived, elite fighter had a BL2, flak I, and mini beam. There were plenty of bad fights in there, BL2s behind zoltan shields and beam drones orbiting suns, but it took the rebel fleet itself to actually score a kill.
If you're playing well, then Stealth A doesn't die in sector 1. It just doesn't. You do take damage, a LOT of damage if things go wrong, and it's very easy for something to go wrong, but it's not going to kill you outright.
>>
>>762506
>git gud
Oh god I've become what I hate.

First off, don't panic. If something goes wrong then keep calm, pause, and think. Did cloaking break? Weapons? Do the dual lasers still work at least? Do you need to run? Can you just slug it out? I usually prefer the latter.

Learn to get the most out of your cloak. For example, the very common heavy laser I. If you time it just right, you can do something like this
>heavy laser fires
>wait until dual laser is charge and mini beam is ALMOST charged
>fire dual laser
>heavy laser shot should be on screen, about to enter your hitbox
>cloak AFTER dual laser is fired
>heavy laser rolls a 90% and probably misses
>dual laser probably hits at least once, mini beam finishes charging as it does
>fire mini beam during cloak
>dual laser charges before heavy laser
This gets you two "free" dual laser shots out of one cloak. You're not just getting the first volley, you're getting the first two. That's huge. That is very often the difference between damaging and breaking their weapons; the difference between peacefully charging up a third, often fatal volley and sitting there eating 2 damage, hull-breaching shots. If you miss some dual laser shots it's the difference between nicking them enough to stop that drone and pike beam and taking a fuckton of damage.
You can do this kind of thing with MANY weapons, and it's very important to figure out. This is the advantage of having fast weapons and cloaking and you want to exploit it for everything it's worth.

Speaking of drones, if you see a ship with a combat drone, assume it has level 3 drone control. Hit drone control twice. Sometimes it's overkill, but if it's not, you their drones for one and it keeps going, then you're going to take a lot of damage.
Sometimes you can tell if they've got a robust drone system like this. If the ship's got a heavy laser and a combat drone, then they've probably got level 3 drones. There's probably a way to math this out, but I don't know it.
>>
>>762524
Drones are going to hit you a lot. Shit sucks, sometimes REALLY sucks, but it's not the end of the world, so it's important to recognize how they work. A drone gets off 3, sometimes 4 shots before your first volley; whenever it moves to attack, pause and try and eyeball where it's targeting. If it's an empty room or the med bay, fine. If it's pointing at your weapons or cloaking, cloak and get it to fuck off. You'll still get the first volley by delaying their weapons, and it's worth giving up the second to get a shot at breaking their drones.
Now that I think about it, you could probably do this with weapon shots two. That might be useful in some situations. Enemy has a basic laser and BL2, pause and check if the basic laser is worth cloaking for or if you should wait to dodge the BL2. Might be worth thinking about.

Always always always avoid asteroids. It's never worth it. Asteroid field shots are based on your shield system level, so it'll be the lightest asteroid barrage you've ever seen, but it's still not worth it. If you meet a bad ship in an asteroid field then you're probably dead.
...I think. I haven't actually tried this much. There might be some situations where it's worth the risk.
Pulsars are as much a coin flip for you as it is for any ship. Some people avoid this like the plague, I don't really mind them.
Suns, on the other hand, ain't shit. Take a sunless fight over a sunny one, but take a sunny fight over an empty beacon. If you kill them in two volleys, which isn't anything uncommon, then you can get out of there before the first flare. If not, then you often escape before the second. The flares do hurt a bit without shields, but even then it's nothing that bad. Many times I don't kill with the first two volleys, eat a flare, kill them with the third volley, and still have time to get the ship ready for the next fight before the next flare.
>>
>>761894
I am >>761307 and those numbers seem preddy gud, thanks for collecting them.
A lot of these runs are really spicy, 6 of them (excluding the death) taking 15+ hull damage. Having both cloaking and shields by the end of sector A is obviously something that I wouldn't really trust Engi A with (at least without sacraficing its mediocre firepower it already has), which ranks higher on the list.

Engi C is also underperforming in comparison, although hacking drone + drone system is nice, it cucks the ship from having both cloaking and teleporter on a ship that starts with a Lanius, not to mention that drone system scales like shit. Offensive drones are just trash.

Zoltan B is approaching comparable power levels.
Zoltan Shield is absolutely great and stumps cloaking in the early game, while scaling down in the late-game (though it consumes 0 power and doesn't take up any systems).
The weapon set-up is also straight-up superior, being able to take down any number of shields, before ionizing weapons.
Additionally, the ship has 4 weapon slots, meaning it's more flexible with weapon loadouts and synergies.
On the negative side, most of the systems are severely underlevelled, including reactor power.
There is a much higher scrap investment requirement for Zoltan B to catch up with Stealth A, but in turn, Zoltan B usually becomes much more powerful by the end of the game.

I can be convinced either way when we compare both Zoltan B and Stealth A.
>>
File: 20210912150001_1.jpg (236 KB, 1280x720)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>762555
Speaking of venting, leave both airlock rooms open at all times. There's nothing in them and they don't lead anywhere, and leaving them vented means venting the rest of the ship is that much faster. It's a little annoying how your crew sometimes cuts through the one on the left and loses a little health, but deal with it.

On the subject of crew, don't worry too much about them. Humans fucking suck, but they can at least drive off non-mantis/rock boarders without leaving their post. I'm torn on your engines guy or gunner being who you peel of for repairs; 5% dodge is worth less than slower weapons, but the engine room is a lot more isolated. Honestly I should probably worry more about crew management on Stealth A than I do. Hm.

Oh, and before I forget, note that the mini beam is very slightly longer than it it looks. On many, MANY ships there's a tiny, couple-pixel window where you can hit four rooms instead of three. Pic related. Find these pixels and exploit them every time. This is often the difference between killing in two volleys or three, or hitting three systems instead of two. It's often annoying to find the sweet spot, but don't be lazy, do it.
>>
File: 20210912150342_1.jpg (235 KB, 1280x720)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>762592
Actually, this pic related. Note how little the beam's touching the shields and oxygen rooms.

>>762591
Oh right, that tier list, the reason I did this experiment at all.
I'd put Stealth A above Zoltan B, but I'd also put Zoltan B higher than it is anyway.
>The weapon set-up is also straight-up superior, being able to take down any number of shields, before ionizing weapons.
Eh. Zoltan B's guns are slow. Pike beam is a good gun, but a bad win condition. Very often it takes three shots of that thing to kill a ship, and that's nothing to sneeze at with a 16 second weapon. And with the ions the only way to get shields down you don't have much leeway to ion weapons. It's a good setup, but I wouldn't put it above Stealth A's guns.

>There is a much higher scrap investment requirement for Zoltan B to catch up with Stealth A, but in turn, Zoltan B usually becomes much more powerful by the end of the game.
Now that I don't agree with at all.
Don't underestimate long range scanners. These things are absolutely busted and the reason why those scrap numbers are so high; they turn the game into a non-stop barrage of fights. Damage taken is gonna go way down once the Stealth A gets shields, but scrap income is going to stay that inflated throughout the game.
It's fair to say that other ships will be able to fit more guns than the Stealth A, but the Stealth A will be much more easily able to afford them.
>>
File: ftll.png (697 KB, 1075x651)
697 KB
697 KB PNG
thoughts?
>>
>>763913
>Crystal B not at the top
>Engi C in S
>Slug A and Kestrel A in A
>Mantis C in B
>Mantis B in D
>Mantis B lower than Mantis C
>Mantis B not in S
>Mantis B what the fuck are you doing
>>
>>763946
Crystal B has a shit tier sector 1, perfect otherwise
Engi C doesn't have a single flaw, starts with hacking + dual lasers which by itself is enough to guarantee a win in the vast majority of runs
Slug A and Kestrel A are very strong and reliable
Not sure if you're arguing Mantis C should be higher or lower
Mantis B has a shit tier sector 1 except it matters a lot this time, doesn't even have the luxury of starting with cloaking like crystal B and is stuck with mantis for repairs
>>
>>763975
>shit tier sector 1
>starts with two shields
>starts with defense drone
>starts with two mantis and teleporter.

Also >>763913
How do you put Kestrel A as A tier, but not Federation A. Is this just a sector 1 tier list?
>>
>>763975
Crystal B doesn't have a shit tier anything. Having to run from scouts and zoltan shields is barely an issue when everything else is so embarrassingly easy.
Engi C has three weapon slots. That's a flaw. It's a very good ship, but not a busted S-tier one.
Slug A and Kestrel A are strong and reliable but not nearly enough to be in the second-best tier. They're both decidedly mid-range ships.
I have no idea what to think of the Mantis C. It's got a four-man teleporter, which is busted, but it's weapons and crew are so weird...
Mantis B, see >>763975. In some ways it's better than the Crystal B.
>>
>>763980
Kestrel A starts with Artemis which is extremely valuable and will help you a lot until you get access to better weapons. The artillery beam has very little use sadly, it seem decent on paper but in practice it is far too slow. Most fights in this game are decided early, destroying enemy weapons quickly is still the best way to avoid damage in almost every fight. Fed A is a Kestrel A without Artemis and nothing to really compensate for it, which makes the ship a lot more unreliable as it turns out.
For Mantis B, It gets fucked over far too hard when things get really bad. Fires in important systems will essentially fuck you over for good. Despite the layers of defense it can still take damage and the problem is that it's horrible at recovering from damage unlike most other ships.
>>
>>763991
It's strange to me that you consider everything about crystal B "embarassingly easy" but dock points from Engi C for having three weapon slots, which is probably the most irrelevant issue I can possibly think of. You never need more than three weapon slots at any point in the game, having 2 flak + 2 heavy will allow you to win harder than 2 flak + 1 heavy but both setups destroy the game regardless. Having a shit sector 1 is a much more serious flaw than this, running into autoships or dangerous ships with medbays and missiles can fuck you over much harder than any lack of weapon slot ever could.
>>
>>763994
>Fires in important systems will essentially fuck you over for good.
>Stealth A in S Tier
???

Also Fed A is a Kestrel A with a far stronger crew, giving you so many options from the start with a late game weapon that can beat the flagship by itself. even if you get the worst shop luck. The only drawback is a slightly slower sector 1.
>>
>>764005
Stealth A isn't stuck with Mantis for repairs, kills shit embarassingly quickly, and can cloak to ensure the amount of damage it takes is minimal. Drones are annoying to deal with but generally not the end of the world thanks to your god tier weapon setup.
I don't think the strength of Fed A's starting crew is relevant when we're talking about immediate survival, disabling enemy weapons instantly will save you a lot more hull than having an extra engi on board. Artillery might be able to beat the flagship by itself if you have a very solid setup to go alonside it but i doubt you will even make it to the flagship reliably if you're stuck relying on fucking artillery of all things. Even at max level it takes a full 20 seconds to charge up, good luck surviving in the more difficult sectors if your ship isn't fully decked out with god tier defensive options. A single burst 1 in a shop will outclass this entire meme system.
>>
>>763994
Kestral starts with 8 missiles. That's very, very low for something with a missile launcher. Artemis is good, but not that good. It also has an awful crew, while Fed A has one of the best starting crews in the game. I do agree with the artillery beam, though. It solves stalemates and slow fights, but you don't want to fight those anyway.

I very much agree that the Mantis B's defenses aren't as invincible as people say and that the little damage that does get through can be disastrous. Nothing in the world will ruin you like a fire in the oxygen/door wing.
It's a very easy fix, though, and the defenses not being invincible doesn't mean they aren't nuts. The fact that sitting there letting a scout wail on you while slowly chipping it to death from the inside is a viable strategy from the first jump is testament too that. It's a very, very, VERY good ship.

>>763998
You said Engi C doesn't have a single flaw. I found a flaw. It's not a huge issue and you've got hacking anyway, but pretending three slots isn't worse than four is just stupidly disingenuous. Yes, three good guns win the game, but you don't always have three good guns, just four mediocre ones.
And again,
>It's a very good ship, but not a busted S-tier one.
>>
>>764019
You will find more missiles relatively quickly unless your bad luck is the stuff of legends though, you obviously don't need to spend a missile on every single fight and save them up for emergencies, which is an extremely nice safety net to have.

For Engi C, I will argue that three mediocre weapons are generally good enough regardless, as the main limitation on hard mode is usually the scrap you can afford to spend on your ship and the reactor power you can afford to use on the weapon system. If your weapons are mediocre, you will likely have good systems to carry you through the late game. And four mediocre weapons will generally not save a run that would have died with three mediocre weapons in my experience. I will maintain that Engi C is absolutely S tier as I struggle to think of more reliable ships. It is ahead of the curve straight out the gate and is almost immune to RNG screwage unless your run is disastrous to the point of hilarity. That's S tier in my book.
>>
Aside from the risk of running out of drone parts, is there any combination that's simultaneously scrap efficient AND crew safe as Halberd Beam + Hacking. 100% accurate, won't need more than 3 levels in weapons and potentially only 2 in hacking, everything else can go towards defense and dodging.

In exchange you're doing between 6 and 12 damage across multiple systems at once.
>>
>>764211
IMO Halberd/Hacking is the most effective setup in the game. It's so incredibly strong and really easy to get.
>>
>>763913
Lanius B, Zoltan A, Crystal B are all fine in S-tier. You're retarded for not putting Mantis B in there too when it's superior to Mantis A in every conceivable way.
>>
>>764336
oh yeah, hack the enemy's shields and they're your bitch. If you get TWO halbards then they're fucking toast.
>>
>>764344
I'd like Mantis A so much more if it had sensors and level 2 weapons. It's bizarre how gimped it is compared to other boarders, and I don't really know why that is.
>>
>>764344
Mantis A starts with small bomb and an Engi crewmember, so no Mantis B isn't superior to it, not even close.
>>
>>764211
Any combination of Flak 1 + Heavy laser 1 is better until you get enough firepower to oneshot enemy ships with beams and have cloaking. The only problem with halberd beam is that it takes 16 seconds to charge so you're not immune to enemy retaliation unlike Flak + heavy 1
>>
>>764554
So this is just a early game tier list then.
>>
File: aaaaAAAAAA.png (1.05 MB, 1263x694)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA FUCK THIS SHIP FUCK FUCK FUCK I JUST WANT TO UNLOCK THE GOOD ONES
>>
>>764559
No, Mantis A is extremely good in the late game thanks to its starting crew and small bomb. It doesn't struggle any more than Mantis B would, yet it has a far easier start.
>>
Hacking should have cost a drone part per use instead of per fight, then it'd be balanced better.

Also what are the rules when it comes to teleporters and mind control in nebula? Even when you've got sight on a room through hacking?
>>
>>764655
If you can see who is in a room you can control them. Hacking, Crew Teleporter, Bombs, Boarding drones, Lifeform Scanner and Slugs can let you control enemies in nebulae.
>>
>>764674
>Slugs
Oh fucking hell that's what was confusing me, can't mind control slugs can you?
Completely escaped my mind.
>>
>>760996
drones are fucking garbage in vanilla. They're even bugged to be less effective than they should be. Don't use em
>>
File: file.png (162 KB, 569x391)
162 KB
162 KB PNG
please at least let me get out of sector 1...
>>
>>764720
What difficulty? Don't tell me easy lmao
>>
>>764720
repair the door asap and vent em, you should have enough time unless the door is on fire
>>
So, with double ion blasts, they don't really do anything if you have them target the same system, right? Just want to confirm since it seemed like trying to get both to target shields was no different from one.
t. super late to the FTL party
>>
>>764876
With two, I wouldn't bother targeting shields, you get that for free if they hit the bubble, otherwise ion damage does stack up and increases the time the system will stay down in the event your shots start missing or something otherwise blows up your weapons room.
>>
>>764883
Oh okay sweet. Thanks
>>
>>764561
Never use this ship. It's so, so, so bad.

>>764567
Mantis A doesn't have the unreasonably good defenses and, more importantly, the 4-tile teleporter. I could see it having a better early game, but to say it's got a better late is just ridiculous.
>>
File: I'm free.png (32 KB, 316x110)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>765109
I am aware.
I am never touching this pile of garbage again.
i lost to the flagship
>>
>>765126
I completely forgot you had to play type Bs to unlock the Cs.
Good job, anon. Have the one good Engi ship.
>>
>>765126
Well done Anon, now for Slug B and Stealth B (a bit less bad while still bad)
>>
>>765109
4 man teleporter is more of a luxury than anything, if you have small bomb you don't need to board with more than 2 at a time ever. teleporter level 2 will easily carry you through most of the game and level 3 is more than sufficient for lategame. Also small bomb is unironically a better defensive tool than the defense drone early game.
>>
>trying to get my Federation ship victory
>can never find any worthwhile weapons in early shops
I hate this shit so much. The artillery beam is a fucking noobtrap.
>>
>>702777
I always get fucked by the drone part of the flagship
Will disabling the drone control stop that niggery?
>>
>>765178
>4 man teleporter is more of a luxury than anything, if you have small bomb you don't need to board with more than 2 at a time ever.
Interesting. Explain.

>>765248
I'm pretty sure the power surge drones are separate from the regular drones. Destroying drone control will stop it's regular pair of drones, but not the super move.
>>
So does anyone else really not like Lanius boarders? Suffocation and fighting does a lot of damage, but the AI runs from low-oxygen rooms at low health, meaning your slow-ass boarders need to then chase down, which draws out the entire fight.
>>
>>765645
Yes, but AI running away means you can dismantle their weapons faster. The fights are longer but the enemy ship stops being a threat earlier. Your boarders are harder to force out of a room and less reliant on their combat skill so you can recklessly toss them around with a clone bay. Incidentally, both Lanius ships and most of the good boarding ships have one.
>>
>>765335
The main benefit of a 4 man teleporter is that it overwhelms enemy ships very quickly, which is good both because the micro involved in boarding becomes easier but also because the faster the fight ends, the less likely you are to take stray hits. Enemy ships with medbay and dangerous weapons can be very annoying to deal with otherwise. Small bombs kind of allow you to deal with the more dangerous enemy ships safely, for example it's enough to destroy enemy weapons or medbays in short order. Generally with Mantis A you're not going to struggle with enemy ships until sector 4 or later, and by that point you have access to hacking, which trivializes boarding until the end of the game (hack weapons -> board weapons). 4 man teleporter is incredibly strong on crystal B and necessary with mantis B because those ships don't have access to weapons, but Mantis A is completely fine without it.
>>
i fucking love the stealth A. Won my very first run on hard thanks to it
>gets free halberd early sector 1
>sells it for scraps to immediately get shield at first shop
>RNGesus is now angry at me for defiling his most generous gift
>constant bl2 and flak1 rapes my ass
>no good weapons in shop, no free crew either
>somehow manages to limp to sector 5 with only 1 (one) shield bubble and still on my original weapon loadout + hacking
>pray for mercy
>get a small bomb and mind control
>now could finally stand up to some enemies
>keep on pushing to sector 7, my power level consistently behind the curve
>gets ion blast 2, begins stunlocking enemy ship
>builds up reputation as ruthless torturer who prolongs his enemies' death for no good reason, in reality just no dps
>makes it to boss, finally manages to get back on RNGesus' good graces
>two consecutive missile barrages all miss on phase 1
>phase two summons fuck ton of beam drones, too sad they cant even break my shield
>phase three boarders all chose airlock rooms for some reason, vents to make them go from figuratively braindead to literally braindead
>gg no re
>>
>>765767

sweet, ha, that setup reminds me of one of my better runs

>hacking + mind control but no boarding, think its one of the slug layouts
>not 100% sure how to get the best out of it by the time flagship comes up, mind keeps jumping to just hacking their shields + mind controlling their crew manning the shields too but feels like there has to be something better
>lightbulb moment, hack the enemy shields fully and mind control their pilot timed prior to a volley (hack with weapons about 1/2 charged so the shields are down fully, mind control in time to reduce some evasion too)
>my very first heavy laser volley hits their shields and sets x2 fires

pretty much rape mode from there on out. mind control also helps on the 3rd phase, just immediately cancels out the enemy mind control until the super shields are down and you can start using it offensively, love it
>>
I love this board
>>
>>702777
Can you still use someone else's completed save file to unlock all the ships?
>>
Kestrel bros ww@
>>
>>765797
I can do you one better. This is from that same stealth a run btw
>hacking shields on flagship so my shitty weapons can get through
>enemy crews valiantly banging on the door, finally manages to get in
>lucky roll on dual lasers starts fire in shield room
>it’s only one fire and they have four men fighting it
>somehow fires still manage to rage out of control
>they try get out but door is already locked again
>come on guys we can do it, it’s only a door
>i already have mind control ready
>just a little more, we are all going to make it
>hey notch what are you doing
>sorry, nothing personnel kiddo
>proceeds to shoot three of his crewmates in the back, becomes one with the flame moments later
>tfw the victory scene is missing an hero
There are no words that can adequately describe my love for hacking + mind control + fire weapons
>>
>>765847
doesn't killing the entire enemy crew on the fagship just make it turn on autopilot?
>>
>>764720
With the Frizz? NO WAY!
>>
>try to get a win streak going again
>win with Rock A and Fed C
>lose with Zoltan A
ummmmmm wtf
>>
>>765858
Yes but there's 9? crew on that ship and they all board you in phase 3, so killing as much as possible but leaving one or two guys (preferably with fire between them and piloting to lower evasion) helps you in the long run. Committing war crimes is usually a good idea.Unless you're on hard obviously because the guns guys might get caught up in it and trigger autopilot too early.
>>
>>765868

cant speak for hard mode but on normal the rock a has had some of my better runs; you have to fuck yourself out of scrap from time to time early game (my rule of thumb is to always take the surrender if the enemy is offering 3+ missiles, if ive only got <5 missiles left then i might have to take even 1 or 2 out of desperation)

iyou can start running out of missiles but accumulate a shitload of scrap JUST in time to jump to a store by late in the 2nd sector, which is one of the better FTL feelings imo

if you're extremely lucky you can grab something like a flak 1 or burst laser 2 + hacking all at once; keeping the rock plating and the missile weapons as long as you can means that if you get to a store with 100ish scrap you can just sell fucking everything and get some great stuff

then again shittier runs have nothing good at the store and you just need to waste scrap stocking up on missiles until you either find or buy what you need.

rock crew are pretty great too, good at tanking boarders, handling fires and some blue events

fuck the federation c though yeah, ha. HATE the flak artillery, its just vastly worse than something like the advanced flak you get with the lanius ship
>>
>>765875
And thats why hacking shields on flagship is so good. As long as you don’t kill literally everyone else, the laser guy will just chill at his post. Even if you do, the hack will just lock him out of the rest of the ship and by the time he breaks the door down, it will not even matter anymore
>>
>>702777
I need some help microing power bros. If you activate level 3 cloaking you wont be able to reroute the power from it until the cooldown ends right?
>>
>>765732
Bombs miss and have to charge. 4 boarders don't.
Small bomb's a very good weapon I love to see on a boarding ship, but it's not better than the shields, drones, sensors, and nearly double reactor power the Mantis B has over the A.
>>
>>765844
Yes. Its very simple
>>
>>765947
Right. Although there's a trick called "Zoltanigger steal yo shit". If you have a zoltan, or several, you can move them into the system room while it's on cd then move them out. Zoltan energy replaces reactor power which becomes available for you to use elsewhere. That trick is especially useful on Stealth B in early sectors for example.
>>
>>765732
For ships with medic/cloning and drone control with anti-boarding drone, even if you don't miss you're looking at eating multiple volleys as you bomb away as two borders can't handle both at once. Four person teleporters allow you to overwhelm the ship from the start, you can take down two systems for every one they defend.

Otherwise against autoscouts, especially the ones that try to run, Mantis A doesn't really add anything that Mantis B/C can't do (and again, once you've upgraded teleport enough, your hit and run raids can quickly do far more damage than the bombs, which are upgrades you can afford much more easily since Mantis B starts with such a high scrap value and reactor power).

Mantis A is a decent ship, but still decidedly average, even something like the slug oxygen hacking event can wipe a run pretty quickly. Mantis B either loses in the first two fights if you're unlucky, or reliably wins the entire game.
>>
>>766715
Oh, also forgot something which ends up making a massive difference. On top of everything else, Mantis B starts with drones at lvl 3. Any Zoltan ship can fuck up Mantis A quite quickly as the bombs are now useless and you're stuck basic lasering away. Mantis B can just grab the first beam drone it sees and never has to worry about them ever again. Everything can go towards Shields, Engines, Teleport, Hacking, Med/Oxy (plus your starting defense drone) giving you the best survivability in the game.
>>
>>765767
>fast-charging weapons on a stealth ship

whatever gets the job done, i guess
>>
>>758973
Whenever I mind control the guy the other crew just go after my guys instead of the mind controlled guy for some reason
>>
>>766715
>>766736
Four person boarding without support has a hard time against medbay + drone if the crew is strong. These ships are very rare early game as well, and by that point you generally have hacking. If you don't have hacking, you can still deal with them with the small bomb and probably don't lose too much time assuming your teleporter is at least level 2.

Against autoscouts, Mantis A is far more reliable than Mantis B as you can still take them out as long as your small bomb doesn't miss, while Mantis B is stuck waiting and praying it gets to jump before the autoscout does, until you get clone bay.

Zoltan ships are bad opponents for both Mantis A and B but are significantly worse for Mantis B early game, as you're unlikely to have any means of dealing with them without bypass or drones, neither of which you're likely to have in sector 1 or 2.

Mantis A doesn't have any problems in slug sectors whatsoever, these can't appear before sector 4 and a single oxygen upgrade takes care of them (not to mention a teleporter 2 upgrade and quick boarding with small bomb or hacking makes short work of them).

I feel like all of these arguments vastly overestimate how much scrap Mantis B actually has at its disposal. Your first priority is to get crew that can actually man the ship and repair breaches and fires while you board. You don't get the luxury of spending on medbay or oxygen if you're trying to achieve reliable results. The level 2 shields and defense drones are here for a reason, and that's because your shitty crew of 2 mantis can't deal with anything on its own. Spending 50 scrap on your first shield bubble upgrade is far more consistent than hoping you get offered enough crew early for your 4 man teleporter to actually matter at all.
>>
>>763913
>Kestral A in the same tier as Kestrel B
bait list
>>
>>766884
both ships start with nearly the same amount of scrap, have incredibly similar performances throughout the game and kestrel B has a maybe slightly easier early game and a slightly worse lategame.
>>
>>766933
you're forgetting
>useless missile weapon
>all human crew that sucks
>>
>>766884
The anon that made this is firmly in the "Just use hacking lmao" mindset, so it's basically a first two sector tier list.
>>
>>766941
Artemis is the best missile weapon in the game. It's still a missile weapon and can be annoying but you're generally not at risk of running out of ammo with Kestrel A as long as you only use it on fights that require it. Also the all human crew might be shit but it gets the job done in the early sectors regardless. Either way both ships are essentially one good weapon away from having an easy time.
>>
>>766961
So you'd consider a tierlist that pretends hacking doesn't exist to be more accurate? Not sure what your point is.
>>
>>766832
>Against autoscouts, Mantis A is far more reliable than Mantis B as you can still take them out as long as your small bomb doesn't miss, while Mantis B is stuck waiting and praying it gets to jump before the autoscout does, until you get clone bay.
Mantis B can kill scouts with the boarding drone. It takes a while, but so does killing them with A's garbage weapons, and A doesn't have the defenses to survive that grind like B does.
>>
>>767089
>>766832
Or, 30 scrap for lvl 2 teleporter, which is fine since you have the spare reactor power and already have enough defense. Enough time to get in and out of a vacuum room and you'll want it anyway.
>>
File: 1611724097312.png (2.11 MB, 1919x1011)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB PNG
Damn, I haven't played vanilla FTL in years and I just won my first Stealth A run on hard.
Final score was 4905, which I guess is pretty shit, but the run itself was very smooth.
This ship is much easier than I remember, or, years of FTL Multiverse has hardened me.
>>
>>766884
Kestrel A isn't much worse than B. B has an extra point in weapons but the basic laser is pretty bad by itself while you'd be happy to use Burst Laser mk2 on the flagship. Missile weapons can be situationally great, they only suck if you have to rely on them for a significant chunk of your damage, since they use limited ammo. The Artemis is cheap, relatively fast, and most importantly, not a crucial part of your damage output, allowing you to keep it on your bar as a panic button for tough fights or just sell it. It sells for about as much as two basic lasers and selling it early won't cripple your killing power. The alien crew on Kestrel B is nice but the zoltan power is mostly counteracted by inefficient weapons and the races you get don't have as many blue events as engi or rock.
Basically Kestrel B starts off stronger but is more reliant on finding good weapons and/or hacking to scale, while A is more flexible.
>>
>>767132
One BL2 is nice, but four basic lasers gives so much more flexibility in targeting up to four systems at once. Without hitting piloting, you'll be missing at least one of those three shots, lowering the actual effectiveness, but at the same time, three shots on piloting is usually overkill. Better to have four of the fastest non-ion weapons and later sell them off for better, than start with a less flexible weapon which still needs additional support later on anyway.

To me it's the same sort of logic people apply to Ion weapons, sure they're brilliant as long as they never miss, but as soon as you factor in evasion their value really falls off.
>>
>>767089
>>767098
In practice Mantis B has a harder time against autoships in the earlygame. The boarding drone is random and will not always target weapons (in fact it rarely will, on average) while a single small bomb in the weapons rooms is generally enough to be completely safe for Mantis A. If you end up taking some damage, you can afford to recover since your crew can actually repair your systems. I wouldn't prioritize teleporter level 2 on Mantis B either, since you probably want that scrap for crew or weapons/hacking ASAP.
>>
>>767119
Grats, and yeah Stealth A is a very strong ship, it just takes some time to get used to. I'm surprised you didn't keep the mini beam, you didn't really need the ions with hacking 3 and flak 1 and you could have afforded shields 4 with all that scrap.
>>
>>767148
>scrap for crew
I'm beginning to see how different our play-styles are.
>>
>>767151
I got the ion blast 2 very early on, I replaced mini-beam with pike beam. There wasn't really a reason to keep it
>>
>>767144
The main difference is that BL2 is an absolute top tier weapon throughout the whole game, while basic lasers fall off and don't sell for much scrap. They are formidable earlygame, but need to be replaced eventually and your scrap total with this ship is relatively low.
Regarding the evasion argument, basic lasers aren't immune to missing either as enemy ships often have piloting level 2 on hard mode, which requires diverting much of your firepower on taking it down. Generally you want to focus one system at a time with basic lasers as well as burst laser 2.
I think an argument can be made for either ship being better than the other, I know some players have a near 100% winrate with A on hard and slightly lower with B, while for some people it's the opposite. I think they're about equal.
>>
>>767152
Don't get me wrong, I would never spend scrap on crew for any ship not named Engi B or Mantis B. That's another reason why I don't rank these ships very highly.
>>
>>766704
well fuck I didnt know you could do that. Thanks for the tip king
>>
i like to buy zoltans if things are going well.

or lanius just for the novelty
>>
File: 1626578168537.png (2.65 MB, 1890x1013)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB PNG
Second game in years, second victory on hard. This time on Kestral A.
Score: 4947

These games are actually really boring. I was actually planning on completing every ship on hardmode, but now I just want to return to Multiverse because I feel so spoiled.
>>
>>702777
>federation
>has pirate symbol on his ship
Pretty sure it's just pirates who hijacked a fed ship.
>>
>>767183
You could try to challenge yourself by playing terrible ships
>>
>>767186
its feds who impressed a pirate ship
>>
>>767235
How the fuck did pirates get their hands on a prototype cruiser anyway? The rebels seemed to only have one of them and it was perhaps the most heavily guarded ship in the entire universe
>>
Ancestry mission is driving me mad. I've run countless attempts with the Rock B that have ended in failure and a few with near success.
>>
>>767765
It's easier with Rock C. You can just bring the crystal crewmember to the homeworlds directly.
>>
>>767156

not the anon you're quoting but i really really like the red tail

i agree starting with a BL2 is excellent but having 4x weapon slots and starting off with 4 weapons filling them gives you really good flexibility from stores + any weapons you get in events or after battles

fair enough its only 15 scrap per basic laser, but that can still be the difference between going to a store and not being able to get everything you want vs. coming out of the store frustrated because you're just a little short of getting some great stuff
>>
>>766806
You have to leave the room, the AI really hates people messing around in their shield room, that's why you teleport there first. After that I usually go for weapons, or Oxygen if their weapons can't hurt me.
>>
>>767907
it only seems to work if the shield room is 4x4 for whatever reason. 2 space rooms they just ignore the guy in there
>>
>>767977
Nah, you can still do it. When you teleport to the shield room and see there is a guy in there you pause the game, mind control him, move your guys to whatever room you want to go to, and then and only then unpause. This should work most of the time unless the other guy has lots of crewmembers.
>>
Trying out the Mantis A.

The small bomb is good, but doesn't make up for the weaker defenses compared to the B. A bomb in their weapons is usually essential; boarding kills take time, and you don't have the bulk to survive their guns without damaging them. Even then it's 13 second charge time is enough that a lot of lighter weapons will go off first anyway, which adds up. It's very nice for disabling med/clone bays, but that's fairly slow considering you almost always need to bomb their weapons first. This technique also really chew through your missiles; 1-2 bombs per ship adds up fast. That's to say nothing of misses, which hurt like a bitch.

Drones are worse. Needing to prioritize basic defenses means neglecting the teleporter and/or not being able to safely use it, which means you're fighting them with just your guns. And holy god damn that sucks. A bomb for weapons, a bomb for shields, a bomb for piloting if they're running as they often do, that's three missiles down not counting misses, and then you get to tickle it too death. If you miss than eat shit. The basic laser is so god damn bad that if it was part of the store pool I'd have to amend my "don't be picky, buy a gun" rule for playing the Mantis B. You may actually have to re-bomb something for how long the laser takes to kill the damn thing. It's awful. I didn't think it was possible the simultaneously incredibly dangerous and incredibly dull task of killing drones with the B, but here we are.
Zoltan shields are solvable, which is a plus over the B, but only technically. If they've got crap guns and can't hurt you, fine, but if not that you're spending a lot of hull and missiles to get through, which usually isn't worth it.
>>
>>768760
Ships that have medbay + dangerous weapons + a crew stong enough that you need to be careful while boarding are rare in the early game, but I'm wondering what advantage you think the Mantis B has over A in that situation. Mantis B starts with less crew, so you will have a harder time overwhelming the enemy crew. Not only this, but you can't even disable their medbay with a bomb. To make matters worse, you can't afford to board enemy ships with missiles if you don't want to risk getting screwed by them hitting your teleporter and being stuck inside an enemy ship with a medbay forever.

I'm assuming your post is talking about the first half of sector 1 since you keep mentioning the weaker defenses of the Mantis A, which is only one shield bubble. If there's an enemy ship dangerous enough that it has a medbay and strong weapons early game, you are certainly not boarding them with Mantis B. Mantis A at least gets the option.
>>
>>705990
This is what got me paying attention to roguelike and roguelites... This game is perfect. Feels like star trek the next generation in game form
>>
>>769003
Not the anon you're responding to, but you forget that Mantis B has a Boarding Drone, which for one drone part will completely disable an autoscout or act as a huge bulky third boarder from the start + breach to choke out anyone fighting it.

With two shield bubbles and a defense drone you can toggle power to, you don't need any crew left on the ship itself to handle basically anything in Sectors 1 or 2, during which time you need to be fantastically unlucky to never have a Slaver fight with a near guaranteed free crew member. I've rarely left Sector 1 without having four crew, no scrap purchases needed.

Zoltan scouts are a hard counter until you get a weapon, or more effectively, a drone, but that's literally it. Since the game has an emergency rescue in case you kill all the enemy crew after they blow up your own teleporter, it's almost impossible to lose to any other fight.
>>
>>769313
I will say one thing I don't like about the Mantis B, it's already got 7 systems. So it's Cloaking OR Hacking only, while either your Drone Bay or Weapons becomes a waste of a room depending on how the run goes.
>>
>>769003
>Ships that have medbay + dangerous weapons + a crew stong enough that you need to be careful while boarding are rare in the early game
Who said anything about strong crews? Medbays and dangerous weapons are common enough.

>Mantis B starts with less crew, so you will have a harder time overwhelming the enemy crew.
Harder, but doable. You have a boarding drone.

>To make matters worse, you can't afford to board enemy ships with missiles if you don't want to risk getting screwed by them hitting your teleporter and being stuck inside an enemy ship with a medbay forever.
You have a defense drone.

>I'm assuming your post is talking about the first half of sector 1 since you keep mentioning the weaker defenses of the Mantis A, which is only one shield bubble.
See above.
And yes, I am talking about the early game, since that's where Mantis A's advantages count. Once the B gets a gun and more crew it absolutely stomps on the A.

>>769313
>which for one drone part will completely disable an autoscout
>I've rarely left Sector 1 without having four crew, no scrap purchases needed.
I agree in spirit, but let's not be too hyperbolic.

>>769343
I can sorta agree with that, but that's just kinda how the game works. I'd never consider drone system a waste with that defense drone, but the lack of other good drones does hurt.
It's silly to bring up the weapons system taking up space, though. Every ship has that.
>>
>>769382
Fair enough, but I wouldn't have complained if there was a swap system the way there was between medical/cloning.

I'm not exaggerating about the boarding drones though, not like they suffocate or die when you toggle the power to the defense drone (if even required). First 30 scrap I get goes to teleporter, it's only on the "all rooms connected" autoscout I'm even using it. And to be honest, if I can get two beam drones I flat out won't bother with weapons except maybe to experiment since it's such an investment compared to everything else you already have available.
>>
>>769313
The boarding drone isn't exactly reliable. If you want a boarding drone to disable autoscouts, it needs to board weapons immediately which is about 1/5 chance at the start of the fight.

>>769382
If the crew is weak you shouldn't have much trouble with mantis A. Just bomb the weapons, board, run around like a headless chicken until you get the rest of your crew on board, bomb the medbay (or not), win.

The boarding drone isn't nearly as reliable at disabling enemy weapons as the small bomb is. Like these two things are worlds apart in terms of effectiveness. The boarding drone needs to deal with the crew before dealing any damage to the system itself, while the bomb simply disables the system instantly.

The defense drone is unreliable and a single shot to important system systems means death. So not only are you dealing with missiles because you don't have a bomb to disable them, you're also more at risk of losing your run instantly to one bad missile because you can't repair shit.

I also don't see the argument for mantis B being much better in the late game. You have 4 tile teleporter, and? You don't need it. Teleporter level 2 + hacking + small bomb will take care of any ship that doesn't have Zoltan shields.
>>
"boarding drone" and "reliable" don't belong in the same sentence
>>
File: gigachad.png (3 KB, 109x76)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>769627
It's really fucking cool though.
>>
Multiverse got a new major update (5.0).
There are many more events, event options, ships, graphic overhauls & QoL UI changes.
Also, you can now unlock and play vanilla ships.
>>
Guess I'm not completing that teraforming mission
>>
>>769667
Boarding drone is annoying when used against you, but mostly waste of space when used by you.
>>
>>769667
i'd love it if it was good, but it isn't
>>
>>769549
>If the crew is weak you shouldn't have much trouble with mantis A. Just bomb the weapons, board, run around like a headless chicken until you get the rest of your crew on board, bomb the medbay (or not), win.
What if the crew's strong? What if they have doors? What if the bomb(s) miss? What if the bomb isn't enough to sufficiently damage weapons? Even when everything works out you're still using 1-2 missiles per ship.

>The boarding drone isn't nearly as reliable at disabling enemy weapons as the small bomb is. Like these two things are worlds apart in terms of effectiveness. The boarding drone needs to deal with the crew before dealing any damage to the system itself, while the bomb simply disables the system instantly.
I did not say the boarding drone was reliable at disabling enemy weapons, or that it could be used to disable weapons at all.

>The defense drone is unreliable and a single shot to important system systems means death. So not only are you dealing with missiles because you don't have a bomb to disable them, you're also more at risk of losing your run instantly to one bad missile because you can't repair shit.
In terms of dealing with missiles the defense drone is much more reliable than the small bomb.
A single shot to an important system does not mean death. Hyperbole does you no credit.

>I also don't see the argument for mantis B being much better in the late game. You have 4 tile teleporter, and? You don't need it. Teleporter level 2 + hacking + small bomb will take care of any ship that doesn't have Zoltan shields.
I'm baffled by this. Your argument is that because you can win with one method then another isn't better? That doesn't make any sense.
Boarding with four crew is better than two. It's faster, more reliable, and less resource-intensive than your proposed method.
>>
>>769627
It's semi-reliable. Good against scouts, decent when backing up a boarding crew. It's a very important part of the Mantis B's initial kit, high-value store fodder for all other ships and the Basilisk itself once it gets a gun and crew.
>>
>Mantis B
>End up with 4 Rock Crew
>Find 2 Fire Beams
Oh cool, I've always wanted to try this str-
>Autoscout
>Autoscout
"Intruders have beamed in"
>Autoscout
>Autoscout
"Giant Alien Spiders"
>Autoscout

There's a distinction between "Here's a challenge" RNG and "No you don't get to have fun today" RNG.
>>
>>770919
Don't forget lanius!
Why the fuck doesn't the Rock B have a teleporter? It's already cucked out of doors and airlocks because ??????, why would you gimp it even more by not letting it do the thing it is very obviously designed to do?
>>
>>770910
>What if the bomb isn't enough to sufficiently damage weapons?
If we're talking about the early game (which your post was about) the bomb will always be enough to damage the enemy systems sufficiently.

>What if the crew's strong? What if they have doors?
These things are far worse to deal with as Mantis B in the early game. You have less crew and no bomb for support. How is that supposed to help prove the point that Mantis B performs similarly to A in the earlygame?

>What if the bomb(s) miss?
That means you actually have to take enemy fire, which is something the Mantis B is forced to do in every single fight.

>I did not say the boarding drone was reliable at disabling enemy weapons, or that it could be used to disable weapons at all.
Which means you are more vulnerable to the enemy ship while you're boarding.

>In terms of dealing with missiles the defense drone is much more reliable than the small bomb.
Absolutely not. Not even close. A single shot to drones or shield can and does result in death in the earlygame sometimes even with correct play. To say nothing of enemy ships with small bombs, which your drone cannot defend against. The defensive capabilities of both ships also don't singlehandedly come down to small bomb vs defense drone, the main and biggest issue with Mantis B remains its lack of crew. A single shot getting through your defenses as Mantis B stings much harder than as Mantis A.

>Your argument is that because you can win with one method then another isn't better?
Yes, the method I mentiioned is reliable in the mid to lategame. What would make another method better? There's no difference between "winning" and "winning even harder" practically speaking. Hacking isn't resource intensive if you aren't using your drone parts for anything else, and small bombs rarely need to be used except to save time, or for very specific enemy ship setups.
>>
>>770926
Rock ships are cucked in general, Rock A is an abomination and Rock B doesn't actually fare that much better due to the meme potential of not having doors. Only Rock C is acceptable.
>>
>>770954
>If we're talking about the early game (which your post was about) the bomb will always be enough to damage the enemy systems sufficiently.
No, it isn't. 2-power weapon, 1 power missile. Very common setup.

>These things are far worse to deal with as Mantis B in the early game.
Fair.

>That means you actually have to take enemy fire, which is something the Mantis B is forced to do in every single fight.
Yes, and it is far better equipped for that than the A.

>Which means you are more vulnerable to the enemy ship while you're boarding.
See previous.

>Absolutely not. Not even close. A single shot to drones or shield can and does result in death in the earlygame sometimes even with correct play.
This is factually wrong. I have played the Mantis B many times, and because of where it's shields and drones are gotten hit there many times, and no, it doesn't kill you. It hurts, it can be hard to recover from, but it's not death. Again, hyperbole does you no credit.

>Yes, the method I mentiioned is reliable in the mid to lategame. What would make another method better? There's no difference between "winning" and "winning even harder" practically speaking. Hacking isn't resource intensive if you aren't using your drone parts for anything else, and small bombs rarely need to be used except to save time, or for very specific enemy ship setups.
That's bonkers. You're saying four BL2 is no better than four BL1 because the latter can also win. That's not how the game works.
Four tile teleports are faster, more reliable, and less resource-intensive. Four boarders kill faster than two, hacking is blocked by defense drones and bombs can miss, and both bombs and hacks use resources.
>>
>>770964
>No, it isn't. 2-power weapon, 1 power missile. Very common setup.
That's relatively easy to recover from. 1 missile is fine to take while you're killing the enemy crew. You have an engi on board to repair and plenty of hull to spare early on.

>This is factually wrong. I have played the Mantis B many times, and because of where it's shields and drones are gotten hit there many times, and no, it doesn't kill you. It hurts, it can be hard to recover from, but it's not death. Again, hyperbole does you no credit.
That's your own experience, the fact that you haven't encountered these situations doesn't mean they don't exist. If you're on board the enemy ship, one good hit to your teleporter is enough to end you if they have a dangerous enough crew. If they hit your oxygen and breach it or set a fire, you're extremely likely to die.
The ship is not actually well equipped to deal with enemy fire, which is why it needs so many layers of defense in the first place. You might not take any hull damage whatsoever for 10 or 20 fights in a row, and a single bad fight is still liable to end the run.

>That's bonkers. You're saying four BL2 is no better than four BL1 because the latter can also win. That's not how the game works.
Your analogy doesn't make sense because four BL1 cannot win every fight in the game on their own reliably like four BL2 can. For a comparable analogy would say four BL2 are equal to two flak 1 + two heavy lasers. Maybe the four BL2 are stronger on paper, it doesn't matter at all however since both setups will perform similarly.

>Four boarders kill faster than two, hacking is blocked by defense drones and bombs can miss, and both bombs and hacks use resources.
The resources are not relevant when we're talking about Mantis A since you don't need to use them to the point that you will realistically run out. Hacking is not blocked by defense drones if you know how to bypass them.
>>
>>770916
so not quite literally unusable, but as close as it can be.
>>
>>770972
>That's relatively easy to recover from. 1 missile is fine to take while you're killing the enemy crew. You have an engi on board to repair and plenty of hull to spare early on.
And B would in all likelihood not take the hits at all.

>That's your own experience, the fact that you haven't encountered these situations doesn't mean they don't exist.
We are talking hundreds of runs, anon.
But fine. If experience doesn't count, then alright, provide some data. How common are hits to the shields and drones? How often does that lead to a loss?

>If you're on board the enemy ship, one good hit to your teleporter is enough to end you if they have a dangerous enough crew.
You were talking about shields or shields, not the teleporter.

>If they hit your oxygen and breach it or set a fire, you're extremely likely to die.
Now that part's true.

>The ship is not actually well equipped to deal with enemy fire, which is why it needs so many layers of defense in the first place. You might not take any hull damage whatsoever for 10 or 20 fights in a row, and a single bad fight is still liable to end the run.
I want to point out that this and most of these crew-related issues are solved by getting literally any non-mantis crew, which considering you're playing a boarder is very, very easy. You are very likely to get some crew in those 10 or 20 fights, after which the problem is solved.

>The resources are not relevant when we're talking about Mantis A since you don't need to use them to the point that you will realistically run out.
You're advocating bombing/hacking every dangerous weapon system and med bay. Running out is very possible.

>Hacking is not blocked by defense drones if you know how to bypass them.
By abusing the depowering bug?
>>
>>770919
protip: avoid nebulas and rebel systems if you want to board

(the rebel ships are easy to board, but they always have plenty of autos around as well)
>>
>>771010
it's WAD.
>>
>>771008
Pretty much.

>>770956
The Rock A could start with an explosive replicator and it'd still be a shitty ship. It's appalling. A hull missile? A fucking hull missile? Not even a hermes or pegasus?
>>
I was the anon who was praising the boarding drone earlier, I've now finally encountered a separate room done in the first sector, genuinely assumed they never showed up this early as I'd never seen one before.

For the joined up autoscouts, I still maintain that boarding drones are perfectly good for the Mantis B, as once you've defense drone'd the missile supply (if needed), you can then let it destroy the entire drone and farm evasion in the process.
>>
>>771010
>But fine. If experience doesn't count, then alright, provide some data. How common are hits to the shields and drones? How often does that lead to a loss?
https://ftl-ships-guide.netlify.app/mantis-b/
This guy has done extensive testing on the game for a long time and mentions one example. For actual data I would have to look up stats of players running the game with Mantis B which I don't have on hand. I know there are aggregate stats of player runs for win streaks on hard mode.

>You were talking about shields or shields, not the teleporter.
If the enemy ship is dangerous enough, a single hit to shields or drones can lead to a damage cascade that you will not have enough time to recover from. Like a missile hitting the shields, then BL2 turning off your teleporter for example.

>I want to point out that this and most of these crew-related issues are solved by getting literally any non-mantis crew, which considering you're playing a boarder is very, very easy. You are very likely to get some crew in those 10 or 20 fights, after which the problem is solved.
This is true but we're talking about reliability in the early game, where you can encounter shit fights before you have access to crew, and you can also be deprived of extra crew for a long time if unlucky enough.

>You're advocating bombing/hacking every dangerous weapon system and med bay. Running out is very possible.
I do not literally advocate for bombing every medbay or missile weapon, just the dangerous ships you encounter, which don't consistute every single enemy ship in the run.

>By abusing the depowering bug?
Yes.
>>
>>771025
>Mantis B’s nemesis is an Automated or Zoltan ship with a Small Bomb and Burst Laser 2

that does sound absolutely horrible to face in s1-2
>>
>>771025
>https://ftl-ships-guide.netlify.app/mantis-b/
Interesting takes. I don't do any of this.
But irrelevant. Data, anon. If personal experience doesn't count and and we don't have any data than what are we even talking about?
In fact, fuck it, this is going nowhere. Get some numbers, then we'll talk.

>Yes.
Cheating does tend to be pretty effective.
>>
>>771036
the empiricist shrivels and withers when asked to use his brain
>>
>>771036
You have a strange definition of cheating. I also would like to point out you didn't provide any data in your initial argument either yet kept speaking with authority, but alright. I'll try to see if I can find aggregate stats for hard mode runs later.
>>
>>771039
>>771036
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XgSdeDY3C5NpnvTaiuzoz_Gcl1N8Z8rAxPOOhzBgZHU/edit#gid=1123761281
These are aggregate stats of winrates on hard (both with pause and no pause) for every ship in the game. That's about the best you'll find when it comes to "hard data" as far as this game is concerned. Notice which ship is near the bottom.
>>
>>771039
>>771051
Win rates isn't exactly what we were talking about, but what the fuck? That low? Worse than the fucking Federation C? That is baffling. Maybe it's the no pause clause, but god damn.
>>
>>771061
It doesn't seem to just be due to no pause either, as the stats for runs with pause also show a relatively low win rate for Mantis B. It is definitely weighted in favor of the former though as the biggest sample size is from one of the guys doing no pause runs.
>>
>>771089
There's a big difference in the tier lists too. That makes sense, you need a lot of micro on this ship early on.
Maybe it's a skill ceiling thing? The better you are at FTL the worse the B is in comparison to other ships? I guess that makes sense, but...worse than the Fed C? The Slug B? Jesus christ.
I guess you win, A-anon. I'm too flabbergasted to keep discussing this.
>>
once you're good enough the only failure point is in the early sectors - after sector 4 or so most ships/runs have homogenized a fair deal - so early-game weaknesses are what show up in the stats.
>>
that's not to say that the early sectors are where you die, but rather, they're the point where it all went wrong
>>
>>771104
I'm wondering about ships like Crystal B which do have a shit tier earlygame but somehow end up very high on the stats. Probably because the cloaking and crystal crew puts it so far ahead for the lategame that it evens out? So for example if you had 10 shit fights in sector 1, you're still fine because you're technically "ahead" on scrap regardless, while for a ship like Stealth C having 10 shit fights means being so far behind you're going to die.
>>
Bros this Zoltan in cloaking strat is great. You can leave the room to break cloak on demand and start the recharge faster, letting you save it until you really need it without messing up the second cloak. Also the +1 energy is nice.
>>
What ends up being the most efficient weapon once non-zoltan shields and evasion are no longer an issue?

Was trying a boarding run and actually got all the way up to Stage 3 on the boss, boarded, wiped the crew, boarders sitting on shields and piloting keeping them both down, but even with max shields and evasion myself, I still took damage from the special blast and ended up dieing to it just before I could finish the boss off.
>>
>>771602
Did you have cloaking? It's very important for boarding ships that don't have very strong weapons. If you have cloaking you can get away with not having any weapons at all if you have zoltan shield bypass. If you don't have bypass you need enough firepower to get through the zoltan shields. So Flak 1, BL2, beam weapons, ion weapons, etc like you would for a normal gunship. I think two ion blast 1 are probably the bare minimum you can get away with.
The strongest weapons in general once the shields are down are beam weapons, so Halberd Beam and Hull Beam would kill the flagship the quickest once the shields are down.
>>
>>771144
i mean it starts with stealth and shields and a big teleporter, invest some scrap in any of the engines, shields or cloak and you're not likely to take much damage before you get away from even the biggest fuck-you encounters
>>
>try the multiverse mod after not playing FTL for years
>get to sector 6 with the basic cruiser, try out the one with the artillery beam next
>cannot get out of sector 2 for the life of me
help
no life wizards grant me your knowledge, what strategy should I be using?
>>
>>771771
Get an extra shield bubble ASAP, it's good in normal FTL but even more so in Multiverse because there's a mini boss encounter at the exit beacon of sector 1. After that you want to make sure your weapons can reliably take down enemy shields and deal damage so you can keep enemy systems offline (primarily weapons). Systems to look out for to increasing your survivability are cloaking and hacking. Don't waste scrap on shit you don't need like crew unless you're playing the solo Engi ships.
>>
>start game with Slug B
>first fight is with an autoscout next to a sun
>restart because fuck that
>first fight is with another autoscout next to a sun

fuck you too, game
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (1.61 MB, 2560x1440)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB PNG
fuck this i'm going to bed
>>
>>772340
Just use artemis???
>>
>>772350
never
>>
Ahem
FUCK Mantis C
I hope whoever designed this piece of shit will get bitten by a brown recluse in the crotch
There are plenty of bad ships (Stealth B is objectively shit, but at least it has a fun gimmick), but this one aggressively sucks fun out of the game just by sitting in the hangar
>>
>>772684
And it's still the third(?) best C type, you're not really meant to have fun with them.
>>
What is objectively or subjectively the most powerful ship in the multiverse mod?
>>
>>772706
The ship that starts with every unique crew, has a zoltan shield as well as all systems (yes ALL systems so it breaks the normal cap).
If you mean out of the normal ships then the Elite rebel ship has a pre-igniter and a gatling gun that goes down to firing every second after one shot.
>>
Ok, time for yet another Mantis Cunt run (I've been playing nothing but it for three days now, keep losing to my own stupid mistakes and shit luck)
Fist jump, free Scrap Recovery Arm
Second jump, mining asteroid field, arm gives blue option
Third jump, free Halberd Beam
I wonder what shitty death the game has for me this time
>>
>one step away from getting a quest done to unlock a new ship
>get killed by an elite bullshit ship one jump away at sector 7
That was an amazing run and I was specifically hoping to get that exact quest done I could have even taken the flagship on I'm going to fucking
>>
File: my soul.png (575 KB, 1239x773)
575 KB
575 KB PNG
>start new save because I haven't played in forever
>realize I'll need to play all three engi ships and the cock laser before I even get to look at the fun ships because ship quests aren't real
>realize I'll need to beat the game with engi B at some point to play Lanius
There's no shame in switching to easy just for the ship unlocks r-right?
>>
Are there any ships you have cursed runs with? Like you don't lose because the ship is bad but because your luck is always worse when you play it?
For me it's Slug b, I generally make it out of the early sectors fine and get a good run going then die stupidly. Last time it was due to a Zoltan ship with missiles. I had zoltan shield bypass but I died to a zoltan bomb inside the ship at the exact moment a missile hit my clone bay.
>>
>>773711
bro I've literally never beaten the game except on easy mode, you're fine
>>
>>773711
at least play on normal you fucking casual
>>
>>773713
my slug runs always get raped by light missile spam in the early sectors.
>>
fucking double letos in a three-power weapons system
>>
>>773713
Kestrel C for me.
>>
>>773713
>you don't lose because the ship is bad
>For me it's Slug b
Um...
>>
>>773947
surely healing burst, no clonebay, no guns, is peak performance
>>
>>771594
A shame it's hard to get zoltan crew sometimes unless you start with a zoltan ship
>>
>>773959
what really bums me out is how hard it is to get lanius
>>
>>773947
I didn't imply the ship was good.
>>
>>773969
most readings would have you imply that it's not bad
>>
>>773971
Most readings tend to go Kestrel C > Stealth B > Stealth C > Rock A > Slug B > Engi B > Fed C >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Zoltan C.

It's the 4th worst ship in the game anon
>>
>>773978
readings of your dumbass post, dumbass.
>>
>>773978
Zoltan C is hot garbage, but I can't call anything that starts with a zoltan shield the worst ship.
>>
>>773980
>reading posts on 4chan.
>>
>>773981
That Zoltan shield that lasts for maybe 2 salvos while you choose between running away or firing back with your 0 power.
>>
>>773995
Yes, but it's still THE best augment in the game.
>>
>>774008
An augment that gives almost all the benefit in short decisive battles, which is the one thing Zoltan C can't accomplish. Engi B has better survivability.
>>
Are the ship unlock quests bugged? I've had the Zoltan quest pop on about 50% of Zoltan Homeworld sectors, I remember doing the early flagship quests and engi stealth quests and mantis capture quests years ago, but haven't seen them once in ~30 hours.
>>
>>773981
>6 power but you have to run 0 evasion until you get autopilot
>need to use 4 power to do any damage
>beam drone sucks and adds even more micro
>shields 2 costs 90 scrap because your reactor upgrades cost more for some reason
>actually running the risk of suffocation because of how garbage your power is combined with how long your fights always are
>>
>>773978
Stealth B is much much worse than Zoltan C or even Slug B desu

>>774016
Zoltan C kills most ships quickly especially in the early game. Once their shields are down the beam drone will kill in around 10 seconds usually. You don't have to use the battery immediately, send all of your zoltans into weapons and only use the battery once your zoltan shields are about to break.

Don't try to upgrade shields early, your zoltan shield is enough. Focus on firepower so you can keep killing things in sector 3 before your zoltan shield runs out. Save for weapons at the stores and sell your drone if you find good stuff. I think it's a decent ship in sectors 1-3, the only big problem are boarders.
>>
>>767893
The great thing about Kestrel B is 4 guns firing every ten seconds makes your weapons experience go up crazy
>>
File: mantis c.jpg (256 KB, 1893x1016)
256 KB
256 KB JPG
>>773435
Ok, I've been extremely lucky so far. I am now in sector 3 (pirate controlled, heard it has better chance for slavers = extra crew). Beside these weapons I have Flak I and Ion Blast II. Second store page only have boarding, defense II and combat I drones to offer. What is the best course of action here? Heal bomb is marginally useful, allowing me to save crew experience (Lanius' especially). Sell both ions, buy cloaking, improve engines, then work on getting 5 weapons to get Flak online?
c: RAK2A tells me to get a bigger rack of my 2a rights, too bad I'm not american.
>>
Ah crap, Ion Blast II and Heavy Ion sell for 35 and 22 respectively, I'll have to sell HealB as well otherwise I can't afford Cloaking. Eh it's not the end of the world.
>>
>>774728
With Flak 1 and Halberd and Hacking you don't need any more firepower. I would just get cloaking and focus on defense, technically you can kill the flagship with your current setup.
>>
>sector 5
>enemy ship has double flak1 plus a bl2, and triple shields
>>
>>774747
Anyway, I ended up getting ridiculously op - maxed everything, found a BL2, bought a pre-igniter just because I could. Got insanely lucky with a shit ton of nebulas in civilian sectors as well, and almost all of them had fights or scrap events.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.