[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Anyone still playing civ 5? Tell me about your games.
Seems like everyone's either moved onto 6 or still stuck on 4.
>>
>>691843
So how do you guys usually go about picking a civilization, do you look at bonuses first? pick your home country(my way)? random?
Story time:
I generally do not like to see civilizations get completely conquered so what I did with one civ that was on it's last legs and in war is offer it a city which I had on my side of the ocean, so it would not go extinct.
For some stupid reason the AI refused the deal, despite how much gold I threw at it. I don't know what the issue was, maybe it was happiness or something, but it basically ended with me intervening so the AIs 4D chess worked.
>>
alexander every time. the bonuses you get from friendship/alliance with city states outweighs any other thing you could do with them, not even counting cock-blocking everyone out of diplomatic victory. hoplites are the perfect early-game unit, nearly as strong as pikemen, and you tend to get your warrior upgraded to one early from scouting ruins so you outclass every barb camp on any difficulty right away. also you can camp or pass through city state territories with no penalties to their attitude towards you. it's the perfect civ for that game.
>>
File: 1.png (73 KB, 873x700)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>691843
>Tell me about your games.
Vox Populi
YNAEMP giant earth
True starting locations
Rome only
Final destination
>>
File: turn105.png (3.47 MB, 1672x941)
3.47 MB
3.47 MB PNG
>>691843
I am playing for the very first time, and I'm playing vanilla. Supposedly Vox Populi AI is a lot better but I want to get my bearings straight with vanilla before I play VP. I've played 4 a bit, never played 6. I think 5 looks gorgeous and I love the UI. Currently on turn 105 as Caesar...I'm good friends with Sweden and Denmark to my west (not shown in the picture).

Some general questions:
1) How do trade routes work in this game? There seem to be trade routes from one of your cities to another.. and then trade routes from one of your cities to another civilizations city (or another city-state), via Caravan or Boat.

2) What's the general strategy with city-state? Try to become friends with them to get their benefits?

3) Any other high level "meta" type tips?

4) Is Vanilla AI completely retarded? I'm hoping for things like.. a) They attack me if I'm weak, b) they coax me into attack another civ, only to then attack me.. stuff like that.
>>
>>691855
I play on a large map, fractal, random civ at quick speed. Game is too easy if you actually pick out the map that benefits your civ.
Only time I reset immediately is if I get Venice and start near only 1 luxury resource, that shit is cancer.
>>
>>691881
1 you have to build a caravan or a boat, and you have to research technologies that give you more trade routes or build the colossus/ Petra wonders
2 Depends on how you're trying to win. If youre going for UN victory, you want to collect them all. If you're going for domination, befriend the luxury civs and bully/ conquer city states that are allied with your rivals (declaring war on a city state won't declare war on their civ ally) if you're going for science, befirend the maritime city states etc.
3 once you get 4 cities, stop building settlers until you have 4-5 national wonders
4 yes, also they conspire to annoy you and deny you your win condintions rather than win the game for themselves. They will refuse peace deals if conquering their last city puts your empire into unhappiness, they will pick "all religious buildings give 2 tourism" even though they didn't pick any for their religion.
>>
>>691881
IIRC you receive the benefit on the city you're sending it from. Gold routes were really weak, their best use was to send food trade route from new cities you want to develop more quickly (destination city needs a granary in place to unlock them)
>>
>>691881
Just go for VP, it fixes so much things about the game. To name a few:
- Gold is not OP anymore
- Can't beeline technology anymore
- AI 10x better
- Civilizations rebalanced
- Going wide is a valid tactic
>>
>>691843
Yeah I still play Civ 5, I think it's a great game.
There's this scenario where you can play as one of the Mayan kingdoms through the rise and fall of Classic Maya civilization. It's a mod for G&K and it's really good. Even if it's not balanced for being remotely possible to actually win
>>
>>691881
>How do trade routes work in this game?
Trade routes are a complicated system.
You can only have a limited amount of them and you get more available through trade or the construction of two wonders, the Colossus and the Petra.
The range that trade routes can travel also increases as the game goes on and you build new buildings. The harbor extends range greatly as well as some techs do.

they make money depending on a lot of things.
>1
The different resources in either city, if both cities have a lot of resources the other doesn't it will make more money.
>2
Buildings. Buildings like the market and the harbor and the caravansary and later on the bank iirc all increase the monetary value of it.
>3
Social policies, certain wonders, national wonders, and other miscellaneous things can increase income from trade routes as well.
>Strategy with city states?
If you are an ally of a city state you can get their bonus and their luxuries. Luxuries are absolutely crucial if you want to have a larger empire as happiness goes away fast in this game.
The best city states are the ones which provide an extra, unique luxury when you ally them. I believe those are the 'mercantile' city states. Other than that the best are cultural and religious city states, with military and maritime ones being weak and aren't recommended unless they have a luxury you want or you're trying to win a diplomatic victory.

>any meta tips?
Not exactly meta, but you should try to learn the intricacies about great people. Production of great scientists and engineers are huge for winning on higher difficulties or on any multiplayer games. I can explain further if you want.

>Is vanilla AI completely retarded?
No. It's isn't bad for your level of experience, it's just shat on by a lot of people here because they are not great at war and so the game is made much easier than Civ 4 or 3. So long time Civ fans think the game is too easy.

But for you, or me, it's perfectly fine.
>>
File: iran.jpg (200 KB, 900x1350)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
thanks everyone. yeah I may just download VP and restart my game. the biggest problem I have (and the same problem I had with Civ 4.. which I'm not very good at) is around specializing cities. I guess you should have an idea of how to specialize your cities (military; gold; culture; Great People; etc) based on their starting location (and ultimately their starting resources)? I also need to bump my difficulty up because I'm now to turn 200 and I don't feel threatened by anyone at all. I'm just listening to classical piano and building up my empire. Comfy, but slow.
>>
>>691937
To expand on that last point about the AI, the AI is only really scrutinized by people who either have played a huge amount of Civ 5, or who previously played a ton of Civ 3 or 4 and so were already very good at these games.
It's like how a fighting game player who plays online will always find the single player trivial.

It's not that the game is too easy, it's just that many big fans have already reached a skill ceiling above the single player experience, they've mastered it.
You have a long ways to go to master the game and so that will 100% not be an issue for you.

The main thing that the AI does which is terrible is that if they pick honor or piety as their starting social policy tree, that civilization is basically gimped for the rest of the game as both of those trees are trash compared to Liberty or Tradition and the AI can't bounce back from that.
But that can be solved with mods form the workshop.
>>
>>691939
You don't really need to specialize cities in civ 5.
Civ 5 is more of a game of capitals anyways, the other cities are often more accessory unless you find a really good spot for one.

But that's all like higher level stuff that you may not need to think about now.
I'd stick with vanilla for a while if I were you and just play on emperor difficulty.
>>
based civ v fans..
>>
>>691963
Yeah this thread is refreshing.
You have a lot of frankly salty people who act like this game is the worst Civ game, or no more of a civ game than revolution, and let's just call that what it is,
elitist contrarianism.
>>
File: 1600845655680.jpg (325 KB, 872x1224)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
>>691855
When I was starting out, I looked at bonuses and just picked what looked fun. Once I played a game with everyone, I just rolled random or just used pic rel.
>>
>>691974
I wouldn't call it contrarianism since the prevailing opinion is still 4>5, but it does feel like the hate for 5 is overblown by 4 nostalgia goggles.
>>
>>691939
I disagree with downloading VP right away, you should get a feel for how the game plays because VP adds a lot of new stuff that you need to learn on top of the basic game mechanics as a new player. Plus, it's going to extend the lifespan of the game once you eventually get bored with vanilla.
>>
>>691998
ah OK thanks, I will hold off. I was under the impression VP really just tweaked AI.
>>
>>691997
Well it's not contrarianism to say 4 is better.
It's just contrarian to say 5 is worse than civ 1 or 2, or isn't a good game
>>
>>692004
You can actually download just the ai improvements of VP. If you download the installer, make sure to choose the option "Community Patch only" when it prompts you. Or just manual install.
>>
File: file.png (518 KB, 981x666)
518 KB
518 KB PNG
>>691843
Ive been playing 2hu mods recently and trying to get various modpacks to work, I like 4 a lot but 5 (with VP) is just a joy to play still

>>691881
>>691922
Love VP, but play vanilla first. VP is for people who have played normal 5 enough to know whats wrong wh it
>>
>>691974
It's pointless to compare Civ 5 to older games, but one thing for sure is that 5 is better than 6 except for arguably the music.
>>
>>692040
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as_0Ba1MLzg

6 has absolutely nothing
>>
>>691990
Rollie
>>
>>692072
>spain on continents, any victory type
what are you gunning for then?
>>
>>691990
Jannies trying to catch me Rollin' dirty
>>
>>692050
Geoff Knorr also composed a hefty portion of Civ 6 music. Get your goggles off, o great salt one.
>>
>>692050
nah man, 6 has much better music.
I don't remember a theme that caught me looking for the original like 6's America, Brazil, China, etc.
Even the returnees like Greece's and Korea's turned out better than their 5 version.
>>
File: 1375319821162.png (269 KB, 831x911)
269 KB
269 KB PNG
>>692030
Any good 2hu mods besides just civs?
>>
>>692030
You are a massive faggot
>>
>>691843
>Pick Pocatello
>Adopt Liberty
>Ez Lmao
>>
>>691990
Ey cool chart Anon, I think I will use that this saturday, so let's look what my digits are.
Identification: #247
>>
>>692076
Dont mix up! its any map (i chose fractal) domination :D
>>
>>691990
show me the money
>>
>>692050
6 has tons of great tracks like russia, zulu, georgia, ottoman, macedonia, norway, and hungary.
>>
I tried overcrowded maps (small map with 6+ civs) once and now it's all I play whenever I fire up 5
>>
I like G&K more than BNW culture victory and OST; the game becomes a slog after 100~150 turns tho.
>>
>>692861
G&K theme is really good, you're right.
>>
Vox Populi keeps crashing after selecting the mod

anyone else?
>>
I'm still on 5 because I haven't bought 6 yet. Doesn't bother me as I'll still play till 3am on that "one more turn THEN I'll go to bed." mentality.

For me, I tend to go Rome, Cultural, make a Beeline for Authoritarianism with Gunboat diplomacy, maximize gold production and every time I get to WWII tech I can't help but suddenly go from that big ass civ (since I play Wide) that everyone is trading with to wanting to conquer the world.

Just something that goes primal in me the moment I get tanks, planes, subs, and battleships.

I also played a shitton of Civ 2 when I was younger, so I load up Civ 2's OST in the background on repeat instead. Gives me that nostalgic tingle.

https://youtu.be/gdTOozVPqqM
>>
did the multiplayer ever get fixed? I remember it being a shitshow when playing with friends
>>
File: Civ5civTierList.png (596 KB, 1400x729)
596 KB
596 KB PNG
What's your list, anon?
>>
>>693012
>always play germany
>win anyway due to overpowered production
>>
>>693012
did inca get nerfed?
they were an S tier civ
>>
>>693011
Its not bad now desu. Played like 10 games with friends last april during 1 lockdowns and had only like 2 crashes. But we just reloaded saves.
>>
>>693012
>India
>harmful
its a direct benefit if you play small
>>
>>693030
How? The have a situational unique improvement, a bad unit, and an incredibly niche ULA.
>>693211
Well the Red fort, the Unique building of theirs, gives extra tourism, but tourism is much easier with more cities, so it's playing against eachother
>>
>>691990
roll
>>
>>691843
ive played it quite a lot, never got into civ 4 and dont like various changes they did to civ 6 but vst never gave me an actually good reason for why they jack 4 off and 90% of the things people claim about the meta are inaccurate anyway (in mp atleast) never tried vp though since i think it'd fuck up the netcode which is what i still play it for (ai starts being very predictable and boring to vs after 500 or so hours)
it's very fun to play with friends if you can get the netcode to behave which comes with experience, looking at random forum posts from years ago, autism and voodoo magic.
war is good and a common victory condition in general, vst is just bad at it.
going wide is good because production is extremely important, it doesnt matter if you have great war infantry and i only have riflemen if i can produce enough of them to not only win the battle but pillage your lands. gold is also pretty useless in real games.
happiness is easy to manage if not a brainlet, and if you are a brainlet good news: you can work around anything but -10 happiness quite easily (since it'll start to spawn rebels).
the game is fun, there's quite a bit of potential for meta shifts and cheese in mp once you've played it a lot and it's generally just fun to banter and steal each other's settlers for a couple of hours if you're not an anti-mp schizophrenic.

sorry if the text is barely readable im very sick.
>>
>>693242
they're a science civ not a culture civ
>>
>>693344
But they have a bonus to culture and no direct bonus to science.
>>
>>693012
How do you play Brazil if they're so powerful? Starting in the jungle is such a killer for me.
>>
>>693350
1 population = 1 science, boosted by the science buildings
>>
>>693012
Please tell me this is a vox populi list
>>
>>692030
I did not know 2hu civ 5 mods were a thing. I want to try some out, what should I start with?
>>
>>691843
I played like 700h in civ5 and the same amount in vox. I got a little bored out of it though because civ without mods become bad and vox + supporting mods while brilliant, hit the wall few months ago. It feels like there is only one path to play itoptimal, especialy if you prefer 3 harderst difficulties. Policywise it tend to be best to always go the same way because picking other trees is just handicaping you in the long run. It wasnt as formulated few years ago, now vox tend to favor all out-warlike approach, its fun but its to repetitive in the long run and after few games its kinda boring. It sucks because its my favorite 4x.
>>
>>693778
it's rather that the optimal way to play is deity/fractal/marathon/huge and hardly anybody has time to play that enough to establish a solid frontgame meta and then variations thereof.
>>
>>693793
Maybe, i prefer epic and after few marathon games i see that production and other values balance is best suited for epic. I guess that voxs team (one main guy and few other thats responsible for supported additional mods) digged themselves to much into going for better, tactical ai (wars ect) and the focus of the game drifted at this direction without concious thinking. I remember my venice game from like 2 years ago, it was my last culture victory and last time i finished a victory thats not domination. Domination is so much easier when you focus on it, I had like 1 year break from vox few months ago but the focus of the mod is even more shifted towards domination. I guess it works for fanbase that wants samey game everytime they play it.
>>
>>692072
Okay done
>>
>>693242
Aesthetics benefits small empires because it doesn't give you a happiness bonus.
>>
>>691843
>Play game with my bro, I was Babylon. He was Japan. we include 6 others AI Civ
>We compete with each other til midnight then save the game to play next day
>My bro decide try load the save and play it in single player to test how far I have gone and determine if I could win the game anytime soon
>Turn out Babylon AI is awful, it didn't even build Space ship even though it can even buy parts
>He thought the game gonna end in next 100 turn when China AI won diplomacy victory and I was far behind.
>It end in 20 turn after I bought all rocket parts.
>>
>>693683
No I don't play with Vox Populi
>>
>>691843
Tried going liberty with no mods, just got deleted by egyptian war chariots.

Civ V is a great strategy game I think, as it gives you a lot of decisions to make that are all objectively good for you, and often it's easy to see what the best option is, but as you consider the game in the big picture it becomes a lot more complex when it comes to timing things and figuring out that certain combinations of techs, policies, civs, etc.
>>
>>693415
I usually rush Great Library, research Calendar when I’m building the library, get philosophy for free, get the national college, and then just rush to get bronze metalworking. Allows me to go for a cultural victory quite easy due to the stability of tech. Plus, jungles are amazing once you get universities
>>
>>691990
Roll againnnnnn
>>
>>692030
What is wrong with it though?
I have my annoyances (I play only vanilla BNW with minor QoL mods) but I'm interested to hear a different opinion first.
>>
>>695749
>What is wrong with it though?
With 5?
Well the happiness really isn't balanced well for conquering civs or wide playing unless you turn resources up to abundant in the advanced set up menu.
And the AI often just fails if they don't take either Liberty or Tradition at the start.
And the AI isn't great at managing armies.
>>
>>695552
The problem is that In the beginning you have no food because you can't chop jungles and have barely anywhere to farm, and the AI surrounds your shit capital with settlemnts so you can't expand.
>>
>>691843
>his name is literally Kamehameha
lol someone should tell the Dragon Ball guys, they should sue the living fuck out of civ
>>
>>691843
conquering the world bit by bit
I like putting the army in a line and then rushing them forward to surround whatever the fuck
>>
>>696383
Why is your artillery apart of the line? They have extra range so that they can shoot over your front line. With how Zone of Control works, you don't even need a solid line, you can leave one space inbetween troops so that the enem can't outflank you.
>>
>>696383
what civilization are you playing?
>>
>>696724
it works better that way
>>697101
Rhodesia
>>
>>692552
It was a fun campaign until I ran into the problem which always made me uninterested to play that part,
when you can only throw units into the meatgrinder without any thought behind it, when all manovering, ambushes, cutting the enemy off is gone and it just turns into one wall hitting another wall.
>>
>>697796
this is where nukes become fucking op my guy

solves every problem
>>
>>693012
The only tier list that matters, the one about FUN
>>
>>698207
based. compspergs btfo.
>>
>>691990
Rollan, just got back into Civ V and need something interesting to try
>>
I have to say, they really nailed the Sweedish character in Civ 5. You start out as a total simp, giving out free shit so that other empires will declare friendship with you, because otherwise they'll tell you to fuck off. Then once you get the great people, you whore them out to city states so you can make more friends (which of course don't last, Sweeden is too socially awkward to maintain relationships, unlike Greece). But then after a long time, you realize that everyone you sucked up to isn't really your friend, they only sucked up to you hoping you would give them more free shit, and if the free shit ever ran out, they would turn you. So during the Industrial era when you get Caroleans, you go on an incel-fueled shooting spree and steamroll every empire that even slightly offended you.
The developers were true vidionaries when crafting Sweeden.
>>
>>699509
bro you living out a story arc in your head you good?
>>
>>699845
Its the optimal way to play Sweeden, you can't prove me wrong.
>>
File: drillcat.png (318 KB, 605x402)
318 KB
318 KB PNG
>>699888
i was going to point out that 99% of /vst/ for some reason is turboshit at civ5 but trips of truth... i kneel...
>>
>>697881
I am still in the renaissance with fertilizer characteristics.
Basically waited a whole lot with researching knights as before I could mass produce horse archers without needing horses as the Huns.
Basic plan will now be to just keep my horse archers in reserve and wait with the war to then start the great burning once I upgrade them into tanks.
The threat to my border will either have to go through the same shit as me but worse or will overextend himself with growth possibly.
I might even keep some of them around until the end of the game as good units to just fuck with the enemy. The classic scenario of world war one infantry men getting attacked by hunnic horse archers from the ancient era.
>>
Also another question.
I heard that roads that you build in other civilizations territory has be to be paid by them?
Would it therefore be a viable strategy to just get a bunch of builders and open borders, to then have those just build roads everywhere inside the other civs territory to bankrupt them?
>>
I don't see the point in getting 6 so I still play 5 every now and then.
>>
>>699509
>I have to say, they really nailed the Sweedish character in Civ 5
stopped reading, pacifist Gustav lmao
>>
File: 1626795669236.png (90 KB, 275x275)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>691843
>>
File: Ultra Religion.jpg (445 KB, 1280x1024)
445 KB
445 KB JPG
If I don't get this when I play Byzantium, I quit.
>>
>>692040
I personally really don't like the new mechanics introduced in 6. So I like 5 more.

But I mean I can see why someone with a preference towards the culture tree and the district system would like 6 far more than 5.
>>
>>693415
Depends how good your start is. You're main city might have good resources or many hills or not be in the jungle but next to it.
Not every jungle start has no production. Then you're early game isn't so bad. So by the mid game when your workers have cleared much of the jungle and made your cities good the culture bonus from the ULA and the improvement in enormous.

By late game every 1 culture from a tile yield is 1 tourism. Combine that with carvinals? And it is the best civ hands down for a culture victory.
>>
>>695044
Aesthetics' best bonus is to cultural great people production. And those are only useful as long as you have places to put them in.
In small empires there are very few slots to have great works of art/music/writing and so aesthetics is still better with medium or large sized empires compared to small ones
>>
>>696165
You put the resources to abundant and hope you get bananas or cocoa or citrus
>>
>>701105
Yeah lol.
I find that easier to do with Spain provided you get a faith wonder like Uluru.
Then you get so much faith that you can instantly get a shit ton of buildings and use that early tourism
>>
>>691990
Will try this next game, playing an isolated Shoshone right now.
Except the map though. odds communitu, evens milae.
>>693778
Used to think like this until my last Rome game where I did 3 progress 3 authority.
Boy did I expand.
Also tried the authority-trad hybrid with Aztecs, less stellar but I guess it was due to me not taking cities. Should try that again with Danes.
>>700827
Best improvement.
>>
>>692185
Pocathello has strong early game, but might be the 3rd most boring civ after Poland and Ethiopia.
>>
>>700827
HOLY SHIT
>>
>>701638
Sus
>>
>start with marble near capital
>build a couple wonders
>win
Why did they make marble so absurd? Its like night and day compared to starting next to pigs or furs. At least in Civ 4 they divided the wonders between stone and Marble.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.