[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 64 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: EmpireAlexanderHR.jpg (812 KB, 1416x980)
812 KB
812 KB JPG
Why is there no good strategy game that's covering ancient world?
>>
AoE exists, that's why you couldn't GET.
>>
>>685556
What about Imperator Rome?
>>
File: 1623175185664.png (328 KB, 764x879)
328 KB
328 KB PNG
>>685584
step aside Imperator Fag, you lost.
>>685556
Field of Glory:Empires
>>
>>685584
It’s decent but still far from ideal in my opinion. Plus, it doesn’t involve the campaigns of Alexander, the rise of the Achaemenid empire, nor the various wars in Classical Greece like the peloponnesian or early Diadochi wars (though this seems to be a common trend and most games lean towards a more roman-friendly timeline).

>>685624
>turn-based card game
>good
Well at least you didn’t say hoi4
>>
>>685556
Rome Total War with Alexander expansion?
>>
>appeals to actual history knowers
>no muh white culture and tradition
>no muh ww2 best war EVAH
>>
>>685624
Imperator is good

Games don't need constant dlc
>>
>>685556
There's a mod for Rome total war that covers the wars of the Diadochi. Also EB1 for Rome total war covers the era well.
>>
>>685556
Try the Hegemony games.
>>
>>685556
That isn’t even full on ancient. Classical antiquity is always way more covered than stuff like ancient Egypt, the Hittites, Babylon, Assyria, etc.
>>685566
Always makes me seethe that aoe1 doesn’t get as much love as the others. No more campaigns, civs, etc even though it’s far from exhaustive.
>>
>>685556
>>685584
imperium universalis (eu4 mod)
it's like imperator rome but competently made
>>
>>685584
dead game
>>
>>685969
Imperator 2.0 implemented mechanics that can't be modded, it is just a better.
>>
>>685556
Alexander is overrated, his empire was mostly sand and mountains.
>>
>>685740
FOG:E only has a single DLC and it's an entirely new campaign, dilate harder with your unfinished tranny game paradoxfag
>>
>>686138
>still trying to explain how his glorified monopoly game is any better than paratrash
just give up
>>
>>685556
Cuz darkies are cringe
>>
>>686059
That's why he built 30+ cities contrariatranny
>>
>>686527
Ah yes, who could forget Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria, and Alexandria.
>>
>>686648
Spicy take from someone who couldn't conquer his way out of moms basement at 28 years old
>>
>>686648
best /his/ post i've seen all day
>>
pharaoh
>>
>>685556
Old World

It's even got a general on /vst/.
>>
>>685632
>though this seems to be a common trend and most games lean towards a more roman-friendly timeline
That's because strategy games tend to be absolutely awful at simulating things like the birth of the Achaemenid Empire or Alexander's conquests. The AI is too dumb to do it, and if the players are allowed to conquer shit that quickly without arbitrary caps or bad boy points they'd just blob the whole map in a few years/turns. Much easier to just avoid the headache and start at a later date.
>early Diadochi wars
No chance to play Alexander IV. RIP
>>
>>686661
Bold of you to assume that everyone is a failure like you.
>>
File: 1618826662995.jpg (52 KB, 640x420)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
hm.
why don't we make one?
>>
>>687463
because nobody here knows anything about coding or game design (or history, desu)
>>
>>687463
I'd rather die than make anything. And I WILL.
>>
>>686648
and what about it?
>>
>>685556
The classical world is fucking boring with there only being a single giant blob at a time
>>
>>685969
I've played it, the mods still wip but so far pretty good. I believe they are making a new expansion for greece and also working on adding the start dates back. I wouldn't compare it to imperator yet though since it still needs stuff to be complete.
>>
>>686923
Bold of you to assume anyone here on a persian silk farmstead is like Iskander
>>
>>686648
you forgot Bucephalia, named after his horse
>>
>>687463
okay, shoot. where and when is it set.
>>
tfw no bronze age games.
>>
File: 1589593651256.jpg (62 KB, 1200x675)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>687463
i suck at math. i couldnt calculate all of that combat mechanics.
>>
>>685556
Hegemony is literally the only good pre-gunpowder strategy game ever
>>
File: EUROME.jpg (12 KB, 300x168)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
Am I the only one who liked EU:Rome? Sometimes it feels like I'm the only person who even remember it exists
>>
>>685710
Tf are you talking about autist?
>
What does this mean? Everyone knows at least the basics of ancient history. I've met way more people who know nothing about medieval history past super entry level stuff like the Norman conquest, Crusades, Genghis Khan, HYW etc. than people who know nothing about ancient history yet we have countless medieval history games.
>
>Implying people who say that stuff ignore Greece/Rome
>
True
>>
>>688685
Yes you are
>>
>>687463
i mean... we could. don't really wanna.
>>
>>687750
And those of us who do are too burned out from being code-monkeys to want to program in their free time.
The map-game catch-22
>>
>>688760
But it's fun
>>
>>686138
I really want to get FOG:E, and a great part of that is because it is turn based and has tactics. But besides that you really are a retard.
>>
>>685584
I'm hoping the Imperator equivalent of M&T comes out this decade because all the game really needs now is content
>>
>>687463
Don't try me anon, I really want to become an indie RTS dev.
>>
>>689216
True, the game is mechanically quite good. Maybe a few population growth/decline tweaks.

Then it's all flavour
>>
File: chad civ 4.png (177 KB, 245x262)
177 KB
177 KB PNG
>>686648
>Why yes I did build multiple cities that bare my name, how could you tell?
>>
File: 1598968816100.jpg (2.62 MB, 2048x1536)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>>685556
Chariots of War
>>
>>686661
Tfw your daddy controls an empire and you irl blob. He was basically working with the same mechanics that you’re working with in ck2.
>>
Do we really know enough about bronze age warfare do do it justice in a strategy game? We have enough sources from classical antiquity to have a pretty good idea of how they fought, but going back to before the bronze age collapse it's mostly educated guessing outside of very surface level stuff like chariots playing a big role.
>>
>>692618
his fucking horse is better remembered than the vast majority of kings
>>
>>693074
Why does this remind me of Shadow Empires?
>>
>>685969
Imperator plays like Vicky 2+ with a Field of Glory Empires light.
If modders didn't give up on it you could easily do both the Bronze age and the Diadochi wars.
>>
>>693260
try the bronze age mod for I:R
>>
>>686648
>he doesn't have 20+ cities named after him
You're never gonna make it, conquestlet
>>
>>693285
>he had a specific horse for fucking
damn
>>
File: 1556971844344.jpg (340 KB, 1450x651)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
>>685556
Yeah shame
>>
>>693260
>did the greeks write stuff down

I DUNNO MATE
>>
File: 1574283971460.png (174 KB, 367x319)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
Does "Total War: Troy" counts?
I mean, with its shitty "myth behind the fact" thing so at least it was an Historical (Lite) game.

So at least we will not see truly fantastical creatu-
https://youtu.be/X7RIlzRaFks
https://youtu.be/QkAjCYFgCPc
NEVERMIND
>>
>>687463
I'll design the logo.
>>
>>693703
yeah for fucking your mom
>>
>>693755
The Greeks didn't even exist in the Bronze Age, unless you count Myceneans as Greek.
>>
File: images(4).jpg (6 KB, 225x224)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>685556
there are mods for Civ4: "The Ancient Mediterranean" and "Pie's Ancient Europe".
Good if you like Civ4.
>>
>>694219
I always knew she was prehistoric.
>>
File: 43s815.png (1.24 MB, 1920x796)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>686648
>he doesn't name every city he founds Alexandria
>he doesn't manually rename every city he captures to Alexandria
>>
>>693299
>>693074
If anything it looks like game ''Legion''.
>>693811
Fantasy creatures is one thing that would save the game, it mostly just has the Aegean region and is myth based game. If you want bronze age historical game maybe there are some tw mods for that....
>>
>>694409
i count myceneans as greek, unless you think the dorians literally deleted everyone from the peninsula
>>
>>687463
fuck it, why not? what're we thinkin here, RTS, grand strategy, 4x? what time and region of the ancient world? bronze age collapse middle east? iron age mediterranean? maybe a really in depth classical greece city-state one?
>>
>>686648
Leaving out Alexandria on the Oxus, Alexandria the Furthest, fucking amateur hour here.
>>
>>688685
I like it too anon but my game spazzes out and starts crashing mid way, and it just keeps happening repeatedly if I could fix this issue I would enjoy the game again
>>
>>688685
I wanted to like it, and I enjoyed it for a while, but I couldn't figure out half of the game and I always felt like I wasn't getting the full experience.
>>
>>687750
>or history, desu
Every in-depth historical discussion I've had on this site in the past year that I've gotten useful knowledge out of has been on /vst/, we do a better job of discussing history than /his/. It's weird, but it is what it is.

>>688849
What I've found to be the biggest hurdle is that map games require a lot of setup even if it's a simple concept like simulating the eastern front of WWII or something. You not only need to figure out what scenario you want (this is the easy part that everyone can do, "I want a bronze age game that simulates the weapons of the time!" or my favorite "I want a cold war game with dynamic diplomacy!"), but also the intricacies of how the battles work, the unit types, how supplies will work, how resources will work, diplomacy, and many other things that people won't think about on the surface level when wanting to make a map game. You're basically working on three games at once whose systems all have to be interlocking with the other two games' systems. For the game's design to work out, you either need to be severely autistic or have enough free time to figure out how to effectively design all the diverse systems that you'd need. Then once you get all the design stuff sorted out, you then have to code the whole thing, and if you're using a popular engine like Unity or Unreal there's very few resources that will help you since these engines are primarily designed for action games. I think it can and has (in the case of Age of Civilizations II) been done, but not while being employed full-time somewhere else.
>>
>>699861
im not even baiting when i say that /his/ is a board full of retarded faggots from the 6 letter word or twitter
>>
Its hard to make a compelling pre-medieval game, back then wars were often single battle affairs where entire kingdoms could melt away just after a single military defeat, there are no fun way ways to balance that, you either blob like a madman or get a game over at your first or second mistake.
>>
>>702281
>total war was a thing that existed back then
most warfare was highly ritualized and between city states
the majority didn't have standing armies and their citizen armies couldn't leave their homes for prolonged periods of time or their farms would fall into ruin and their city state would starve
>>
>>699861
/his/ was infested by /pol/tards and never really recovered because of incompetent mods
>>
>>702281
>Its hard to make a compelling pre-medieval game, back then wars were often single battle affairs
That's true for the medieval period too. It's not until the early-modern period that huge clusterfuck wars become the norm in Europe.
>>
>>708332
they certainly aren't compelling if you ignore the politics and other factors that led to the wars
>>
>>693811
>>697592
new update also adds a free new historical mode like 3K's records mode with no super commander units or cosplayers

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.