[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 142 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Talk about the greatest RTS of all time
>>
>>664694
>Talk about the greatest RTS of all time

Alright, i think the dawn of war modding scene is pretty good, even after all this time they keep making content
>>
>>664694
I'm shit at it so I never got into that big multiplayer mod
>>
>>664950
Same. I just don't want to commit any time into learning the meta and would rather play the game like a filthy causal.
>>
>>664950
Same, I occasionally replay the campaigns where I take 4 hours to autistically build up my amusement park of experimentals and PD crawl, but I never could get into the multiplayer.
>>
i loved the huge variety of units and the defences were great
>>
Its a shame the company closed down. I won’t ask for a supcom3 but a remaster of FA to fix the slow down or pathfinding would be nice.
>>
>>664694
UEF master race reporting in. Who needs direct fire experimentals when you have the Percival?

>>665217
And a pathfinding fix is really all we need. I mean there's other stuff I'd like, such as being able to overclock factories so that they generate more build force but grow less energy efficient instead of needing T1 engineer swarms, or Resource Rich being deleted from the game so that people will stop hosting games with 2X resources, but pathfinding is really the big issue.
>>
>>664694
Mechs are boring
>>
File: hive.png (1.36 MB, 879x1036)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
>>665233
>being able to overclock factories so that they generate more build force but grow less energy efficient instead of needing T1 engineer swarms
Imagine playing a faction that doesn't have this absolute beast.
>>
just installed this, what am I in for?
>>
>>664694
>Talk about the greatest RTS of all time
I would but that would be off topic ;^}
>>
>>668422
Turtle for 5 hours every level: the game
Thankfully you can speed up
Honestly I think supcom is the most overrated rts ever, it's just boring
>>
File: tired frog.jpg (15 KB, 306x306)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>664694
>playing ranked on FAF
>it's another 5x5 T1 spam map
>>
>>668435
Have you tried playing multiplayer?
>>
I just started the campaign and man there are a lot of units
how many factories should I be building in this
>>
>>668422
How did it go?
>>
>>668751
Im being baffled by the scale of it
Still doing the first mission
>>
>>668633
>how many factories should I be building in this
As many as you can
>>
File: SupCom eco model.jpg (115 KB, 800x600)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>
>>668531
Isn't every online game T1 spam?
>>
>>668531
For me, the game gets less interesting as people build fewer, more powerful units. These battlefields are huge for a reason!
>>
>not playing the fresher newer Beyond All Reason
It's missing some of the style from SC but runs a hell of a lot smoother and has crazy good movement options.
Early units are worth microing and aren't all made of paper.
Having shilled that, I will always miss making mavors and monkey lords and the upgrade system.
>>
>>664694
This is my favorite game. I played the campaign a million times before i started playing multiplayer. I recommend anyone with large amounts of free time and a decent gaming pc to check out forged alliance forever (faf).
>>
>>668435
>I turtle for 5 hours against AI on easy
>therefore supcom is boring
Amazing.
>>
>>670004
the scale of that game is like 1/100 of FA
>>
>>665217
>>665233
During the late stages of development an internal version of SC had silky smooth flow field pathfinding like SC2 but they didn't ship it because it screwed up other parts of the game which required too much time to fix.
This is worth watching at least from 1:18:00, it's the lead engineer of SC and it just shows how good of a RTS game a modern AAA/competent studio could make if they tried.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=prsqagPUTX0
>>
>>670284
You sure you aren't thinking of zero-k?
That game sucked.
>>
I want into it. Should i try sup1 FA or sup2? which one have good campaign?
>>
>>670835
SupCom2 is a meme that killed the franchise. SupCom1 has the better campaigns, just keep in mind that in the base game (expansion pack has its own campaign) first two missions per faction are somewhat lower scale because they're introducing more powerful units over time. But it makes up for it with the moments when you unlock those units being more impactful
>that UEF mission 5 where they authorise you to use Titans for the first time because you must defend the portal at all cost
Good memories.

Also, a generic advice is to ignore the AI yelling at you to hurry up. Unless there is an explicit timer, you can take as much time as you need to experiment and fuck around
>>
>>670858
thanks
>>
>>664694
Planetary Annihilation is better.
>>
>>664694
Shame SupCom2 shat the bed. Shame PA failed mostly. The latter had the right stuff with the scale. Problem was that all the factions were literally identical and the story was non-existent. Ashes of Singularity on the other hand only got better after tons of patches and DLCs.
I wish we had an equally fun successor to SupCom/TA.
>>
>>670858
I remember when it came out, reading articles that listed like 30 major changes between supcom 2 and 1, including the major gameplay changes as well as things like "campaign storyline that is focused more on interpersonal conflict and less on a grand strategic narrative"; and concluding, along with many others, that *every single item on the list* was something that made the game worse. Literally every single change out of a list of maybe three dozen. It's amazing how they managed a catastrophe of that magnitude, really.
>>
>>668413
I mean, I play UEF so we do have an engineering station (better than the cybran one because it isn't range limited) but from a balance perspective it's kind of shit since it severely favours two factions, and the implementation overall is less elegant than just letting factories be overclocked. Especially since it'd be a way to make adjacency bonuses for pgens actually useful again (by making severely overclocked factories have prohibitively high power draw unless you get an adjacency bonus to reduce it).
>>
>>672807
>I mean, I play UEF so we do have an engineering station
True. It's the cultist types who are the real losers here.

>better than the cybran one because it isn't range limited
This is true, but the cybran one has a much lower target acquisition time, which makes it much more effective within its range. Tradeoffs both ways, I guess.

>but from a balance perspective it's kind of shit since it severely favours two factions, and the implementation overall is less elegant than just letting factories be overclocked.
Yeah, all dickwaving aside, from a game design perspective you are quite right. I shouldn't NEED to build an artificial support structure to make things build fast. Supcom is a game of volume and throughput and scale, that wants me to acquire as many resources as possible so that I can toss units into the blender by the millions; it should not allow me to get in a position where I can acquire more resources than I can easily spend, and go all-out on my production power without artificial limits. Both from gameplay and lore perspectives, there is no reason why those factories shouldn't just be able to upgrade another 8 times and get more stupid throughput with each iteration as long as I am willing to chunk my resources at it.

If I build a T3 air factory surrounded by 100 hives and a Paragon, I can just set a repeat order for strategic bombers and watch things around me die. A handful of T17 factories constructing bricks should be able to do the same thing without me going full mad scientist first. That's the style of macro play the whole game is designed around, after all.
>>
>>672832
>This is true, but the cybran one has a much lower target acquisition time, which makes it much more effective within its range. Tradeoffs both ways, I guess.
You're not wrong, for buildings you can fit close by the hive is better; however personally I find the ability to send the drones over to help with random stuff further away is usually more useful (the main use case being when I find myself power stalling and have to crank out some spaced out generators quickly).

Although, in truth, it's pretty rare that I actually use the engineering stations at all. Usually only if I want to percy spam and don't want to deal with the headache of making them a walking path between masses of T1 engies. If I'm getting to the point where I would start making kennels I would usually already be saturating the enemy's base in nuclear hellfire since most players are dumb and don't build SMD. Then they whine and call nukes unfair even though they could have rendered my strategy useless with one building.
>>
>>672753
Honestly, they lost me as soon as I realised that they moved away from the normal SupCom economy and went for the generic "pay for shit upfront" model. There were a lot of other shitty changes (everything is T1 spam because there is no T2 lol) but that was when I just lost any interest
>>
>>664956
>>664950
Look up the build order on YouTube, save as a template and ur already better than most 800 elo players
>>
>>664700
>dawn of war
II and III are shitty games and don't deserve that name
>>
>for me it's the nuke only 1 Mass map
>>
File: dostya.jpg (19 KB, 225x280)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
Holy shit guys, a Seraphim patrol flew over my base!
>>
File: aeon.jpg (44 KB, 900x900)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>664694
They are just the easiest to play with for some reason
>>
>>664950
I also never bothered with Multiplayer so I downloaded the Loud mod to build up bases and deathball into the Ai
>>
Why didn't you save her
>>
>>673714
>Beyond All Reason
Dawn of War 1 is overrated garbage
>>
File: artemis clyde frog.jpg (38 KB, 720x405)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>664694
WELL I'M A BADASS COWBOY LIVIN IN THE COWBOY DAYS
A WIGGY WIGGY WACK YO YO BANG BANG
ME AND ARTEMIS CLYDE FROG GONNA SAVE SELMA HAYEK FROM THE BIG METAL SPIDER
>>
File: 1619386669134.jpg (17 KB, 408x286)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>664694
Alright you know what? It has been sitting in my library for the better part of a decade, i'm installing it today.
>>
File: 1322693233239.jpg (23 KB, 184x184)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
It's a shame we'll never get a game with the scale or scope of SupCom. But I do wonder what sort things you would like in a similar scale game. Like an in game unit database or template creator in the map.
>>
>>664694
I loved everything about this game except that multiplayer was too much effort to get into.
>>
File: SCSC.png (705 KB, 880x615)
705 KB
705 KB PNG
>>
>>664694
FA has LOUD & FAF, does the original Supreme Commander have any mods like that?
>>
>>664694
too bad it crashes for me on W10, patches/anything else doesn't help. Really sad.
>>
I just tried LOUD this week and the AI barely ever attacks. They'll build dozens of factories and barely ever use them.
>>
>>681857
Can you actually make a comback like this?
>>
>>683395
Yes, reclamation can give you the edge you need to bounce back. The only issue is if the enemy decides to camp the corpses for them to reclaim, or if the unit gap between you and the enemy is insurmountable.
>>
>>665233
>percy
Just drown them in fat boys
>>
ive been playing planetary annihilation and its so good. how is supreme commander in comparison? does it have the same stuff this one has?
>>
>>685902
4 factions, and more unit variety even within a single one. Natural chokepoints, or at least not being threatened from literally every side. Those are the biggest differences. Also no space stuff, for better or worse.
>>
>>685909
>no space stuff
damn, thats the most interesting part for me. well ill try it anyway once i get bored of this one
>>
>>685909
>4 factions
You mean 3?
>>
we need a remaster of supcom:fa with:
multicore, multithread support
flowfield pathfinding algo
faf built in
>>
>>686486
>multicore, multithread support
>better pathfinding
64-bit as well
Not removing adjacency bonuses like supcom2 did. No removing features.
>>
>>686494
Menu editing for templates and maybe an unit database and previewer would be a cool feature to have.
>>
>>685902
>PA
>good
>>
>>686486
>faf
Isn't that all about MP and balance?
>>
>>686568
If I recall correctly, it also has AI changes to make it less braindead
>>
>>683559
Percivals are the best non-experimental ground assault unit in the game that's why UEF doesn't need an direct assault experimental unit.
Fatboys are mobile firebases they aren't designed for direct assaults unlike other ground experimentals.
>>
Gentlemen I would like to point out that;

The best RTS in the world came out in February of 2007. Forged Alliance in November of same year.
That's 14 years.

In that time;
- Expansion packs like Forged Alliance stopped being the norm, DLC wasn't a thing beyond Oblivion's horse armor.
- You could have successfully completed the entirety of school and have gotten an associate's degree.
- The sum of over 3 US presidencies. Bush was still in office.
- Roughly a fifth of the average lifespan of a human being.
- Windows Vista was a brand new thing and we were still using XP.
- Crysis would still take until November to release before we all collectively spouted 'But can it run Crysis?' at every piece of hardware.

And we STILL haven't gotten anything that comes even close to SupCom in terms of scale and simulation. Bleak.
>>
>>686556
well i like it, its fun. what do you think is bad about it?
>>
>>668413
UEF here, been there, done that better.
>>
>>683174
Are you talking about the opposing AI or your teammates? In my experience, your teammates won't do much and they are there as cannon fodder. Also, you might want to bump up the AI to 1.5 or something and chance them to either feedback or time.
>>
>>686775
i dot know man. game is good but not for everyone, you need to have some sort of autism due game aesthetics and design
>>
>>686764
I played FAF yesterday and my Aeon AI ally only spammed L1 light tanks and died to T1 mediums from the enemy
>>687173
Is the allied AI in this game a pushover no matter if it's FAF or LOUD? The LOUD match I had was the enemy not really making much.
>>
>>668633
Literally as many as you can afford.
Supcom's unique gimmick (well, unique alongside TA and PA) is its flow economy. You spend mass per second at the rate your factories and engineers build units vs its total cost. If your mass spending exceeds your income and you 'run out' your production just slows down to match your income. When your mass storage is full, additional mass you're making per second is wasted so you pretty much always want to be negative there, since negative mass just means you're spending it as fast as you're generating it.

As a result, you always want as many factories running as your mass income can support. Once you're in the red, any additional ones aren't actually doing anything since your income (and thus building rate) is split evenly between them all.

All factories and engineers consume a flat amount of energy just to be running instead of scaling based on what they're building and how fast they're building it. This means you NEVER want to go negative in energy and want to produce more generators to always keep your current and planned production fully powered.

Getting a hand of the flow economy is basically the only learning curve to supcom. You spam as hard as your income can allow and either build exponentially crawling infrastructure or amass hordes of units and just wash over your target in waves. Just be aware that higher tier units are typically more cost-effective than lower-tier ones, but take longer to build (and thus require more time-consuming infrastructure development to produce en masse) so depending on the map and situation, teching up and developing infrastructure can be more important than t1 spam, or vice versa.
>>
>>686775
Supreme Commander is older than Total Annihilation was when Supreme Commander came out.
>>
>>687213
I can't speak for FAF but LOUD reacts to what you're doing. For example, it'll spam spy planes to test out holes in your defenses and do raids on undefended Mass Extractors.
>>
How is Supreme Commander 2 (for single player)?
>>
>>689323
The skirmish games are moderately fun if you can stop comparing the game mechanics to Forged Alliance. I haven't played the campaign but from what I've seen from gameplay videos, the story seems absolutely cringe.
>>
>>689323
>>689838

Campaign is pretty rubbish. Story is crap, characters are crap. A handful of the missions are decent but most are pretty meh. Best part about it is that crazy Cybran guy.
>>
>>686480
Forged Alliance has 4.
>>
>>668633
Speaking in multiplayer terms, I usually go for 10-20 land factories if I'm spamming T1 land. For higher tiers (T2, T3), usually fewer. One or two T3 air factories (secondary is usually for T3 engineer production or slower, lower-resource production of strat bombers on the side), with T1 engineers assisting it. Same for navel. Land I'd sometimes make maybe three or four T3 land factories just to alleviate pathing issues despite the added cost of having multiple T3s.

In the campaign you do have a low unit cap, so you usually want to lean towards having higher tier engineers to conserve unit cap (or better, sACUs), and probably more T3 factories so they depend less on engineers.

>>683395
One nuke can kill your starting area, the mexes there, and immediately surrounding buildings. By the time nukes are being used you should have more mexes, your T3 power should be scattered around, and you should have at least one factory that isn't right on your starting point. Of course, you should also have SMD because it's cheap and protects your base, but a nuke is generally survivable if you didn't cluster too hard.
>>
>>674939
>>
I only play phantom mode in multiplayer, simply because i'm fucking terrible at the normal game. Also I think that the sea unit balance in this game is fucking dogshit.
Seriously, why does Cybran get such OP fucking sea defenses and everyone else gets shit on?
>>
>>693431
Depending where the Harms is, you can use battleships to destroy them with ground fire.
>>
>>687509
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
;_;
>>
>>686486
It's been many years since i played SC:FA but i recall there being a multi-core fix. IIRC it wasn't an exe patch, but rather was a separate .exe that injected a fix at runtime into the supcom process?
Not perfect but i recall it removed the worst of the slowdown.
>>
>>693431
>cybran
>not the based Yathsou or the UEF neptune

Cybran have shitty late game naval presence due to the poor performance of the galaxy. Their destroyers make up for it somewhat, but if you don't win naval dominance in the T2 stage it is going to be hard to not get pushed off the water in the T3 stage
>>
>>693431

HARMS are irritating, you're supposed to torp them into oblivion or abuse groundfire.

Alternately, just go around the Harms. Roanoake is a big map, they can't feasibly defend everywhere. Also you can nuke it or focus on winning the strategic weapons game.
>>
>>693431
Aeon has the best navy since you can mix in T2 hover shields from a land factory. UEF's also solid with shield boats, Neptune, and Atlantis, but Aeon is probably the best for an early/mid naval rush, and with naval once you push your enemy out of the water it tends to be hard for them to get back in. They also have a wider variety of naval bombers. I have always had my best naval successes with Aeon.

HARMS is a joke, just switch your destroyers / battleships to targeted fire and click just beside the HARMS, since you're not trying to target the HARMS the game will let you do it, and splash damage will still hurt them.
>>
>>668435
Holy shit imagine going against even a shitty human player as a turtle. Enjoy losing.
>>
>>673393
I realized something was wrong when I built my first factory and it took up a significant portion of the total map space. Then I paused, looked at the economic system closely, the build tiers closely and immediately uninstalled. To date those 15 or so minutes is all I've ever played of 2. Which is impressive considering I bought the first one release day and still have it installed to this day.
>>
>>689323
It's fun as fuck. There's wacky units like the noah cannon and giant lizards plus the research tree lets you focus on one strategy so it's beginner friendly. Compared to SupCom it's shallow and the maps are tiny but it's still a good game, plus it runs silky smooth even in the late game unlike SC.
>>
>>696198
While you may be right in a certain sense, turning a motherfucking Fatboy into that abomination, makes SC2 something akin to a Looney Tunes parody of the first part.
>>
>>689323
My headcanon for Supcom 2 is that the commanders are actually sACU and that explains why everything is so downscaled because the real ACUs are off somewhere else. On your question, the story is more light-hearted compared to SupCom and the risk are more downscaled like everything else in the game.
>>
>>697247
The Ac-1000 was a neat experimental.
>>
>>697247
You're actually the first person I've met who considers SupCom 2 to be canon at all. Everyone else, as far as I can tell, regards it as crappy nipnong fanfiction from squeenix.
>>
I just finished the Supcom 2 campaign. It's alright. Nothing exciting but its worth a play-through if you're bored. The missions near the end of each faction campaign just turn into experimental spam which may or may not be your thing.

The game overall just seems like a huge tragedy. They got so many things right but so many more things wrong. The factory addons were a neat idea. I also really like the flow field path-finding - your ACU doesn't get stuck behind your units anymore. I also really like some of the unit designs. The ACUs especially look pretty sweet. The soundtrack is also really good. That fucking research system just seems like a huge step down but I get what the were going for. I don't like it but I get it. The removal of visible attack and build ranges is also really annoying. The massive reduction of scale and the removal of the flow economy is the biggest reason to not like the game but if you don't care about those things you'll probably enjoy it. Some of its problems are questionable design decisions but some were a result of being forced to make it run on the Xbox360. So once again, we can blame consoles for shitting up our vidya.

Honestly, if they hadn't called it a Supreme Commander game it would have been much better received since it wouldn't be compared to its predecessor. But then if it wasn't a Supcom game it wouldn't have gotten funded.
>>
>>697464
I like the dino but they needed to get rid of the organic parts. It was supposed to replace the monkeylord but it wasn't the same feel.
>>
Do you guys use the ferry system? I thought when you ferry it would wait until the clamps were full but instead they were transporting one unit at a time
>>
>>697467
I reguard it to be cannon...

And by 'cannon' I mean I concluded ages ago that Supcom 2 makes the most sense as an in-universe version of WWE. The story is dogshit because we're looking at the kayfabe storyline of a civilian ACU fighting league that took off after the Seraphim carpet-nuking most of humanity's planets left two options for a national passtime: ROBOT FIGTHAN TIME or Basketball. Obviously they chose the former.
>>
>>698343
Nice Battlebots reference and I would think something similar happened, but it's something a bit darker.
>>
why does LOUD take away all the cool explosions. not cool desu
>>
>>686486
might be heretical but id like to be able to put dudes into squads
>>
>>700915
Same thing that kept me from playing it. Who the fuck removes the explosions?
>>
We should fight eachother on faf
>>
I'm having trouble on vanilla supcom aeon final mission, the monkeylord rush after capturing black sun is incredibly hard to defend
>>
>>711646
I don't precisely remember the mission, but, wouldn't a couple of CZARs solve the problem? Or T3 bombers, though that would be less stylish
>>
>>711792
The thing is the initial 300 unit/building limit is shit and only gets upgraded to 400 after capturing black sun control centre, I'll try again tomorrow and rush colossus
>>
>>711646
I did that with a GC and some t3 navy last time I played. GCs have 200k hp baseline in the base game, they are kinda crazy
>>
File: 1472419881952.jpg (560 KB, 1440x900)
560 KB
560 KB JPG
>>
>>686775
I never played it but what was so wrong with Ashes of the Singularity? Was it too much of a Supreme Commander clone?
>>
>>715678
It was very much chasing that TA/Supcom niche, but failed to have any of the substance or style that made those games work. No wrecks/reclaim, all the units were boring hoverboats, only two factions with minimal differences between them. It was pretty much your cut-and-dried failed 'Spritial Successor' RTS, but for Supcom instead of Starcraft or C&C.
>>
File: mazernao.gif (78 KB, 500x181)
78 KB
78 KB GIF
>>664694
>>664694
>>664694
https://faforever.com/
>https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVukA3ixN8_ZNxnqxq3YD1g
>>
>>716129
You got anything with successful telemazer?
>>
File: EscherSnowGlobe.gif (221 KB, 250x313)
221 KB
221 KB GIF
>>668435
>t. ai-let
>>
>>672832
>I shouldn't NEED to build an artificial support structure to make things build fast.
hives exists for pretty animations
>>716132
it's all about scouting
most will use tele snipes as a last resort, but you can get in and out with successful damage to enemy base infrastructure (or even enemy comms) if you know WHEN to initiate a tele and HOW you're going to use it to take optimal tactical advantage, which is, of course, all contingent on scouting
>>
>>683395
Only if you're an SP babby. In MP reclaim does the opposite: you snowball faster by winning skirmishes, because you control the battlefield once win an engagement.
>>
>>686552
FAF has a unitdb
check downlord's client
>>
>>690605
how do you best avoid centralised production/economy? is it worth gambling more on filling up forward/fire-bases with high-value structures to avoid insta-GG if you lose your main?
>>
bumping best /vst/ game
>>
>>716154
Just scatter your stuff as the map permits. If it's a big map like Seton's you have loads of room. Don't cram your stuff together densely. Sprawl back towards your team's end of the map. Obviously, never build T3 pgens right next to each other (if one is destroyed they will chain react and all of them will go); spread them out. But more than anything, build SMD. You don't need to worry about losing half your base if it can't go out in one go to begin with.

If it's a small map then your stuff is all going to be in one place, but it matters less because by the time anything comes out that could wipe out your whole base, the game should be over already.

I've never actually lost a base to a nuke, ever, because I always build an SMD. But I have seen other people survive and keep on playing after they were nuked once. It's very rare, though, because a good player will usually build SMD, and so, by definition, if they got nuked, they weren't very good. The one exception is if their SMD got sniped.
>>
>>716323
>If it's a big map like Seton's
Seton is tiny as fuck as far as 4v4 maps go.
>>
>>670106
To be honest Forged Alliance campaign kinda forces you to turtle. Original campaign was better.
>>
>>716574
They should have done a campaign similar to soulstorm
>>
>>716326
I mean yeah there are some massive 4v4 maps out there but nobody plays on them because everyone is retardedly far apart. Seton's is about as big a map as you're ever likely to play on.
>>
>>670869
>only one faction, only two with mods
lmao
>>
>>686785
Small planets, flat terrain, even artillery can't shoot further than their own nose. Having to defend from every direction is more annoying than contributing anything and globes are confusing to navigate, but that one might be just me being a brainlet.
>>
I played Supreme Commander campaign, and while it felt fun I think the design is flawed and quickly dropped it.
Most missions involve the enemy throwing infinite resources at you while you wait for your army to build up
It's a pity because the base design is great
>>
File: 1308516364673.jpg (56 KB, 464x329)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Has there been a game trailer that could top SupCom's?
>>
So many posts wishing for a remaster and not a single mention of this:
https://www.sanctuary-rts.com/
What do you think, anon?
>>
File: 2021-08-12-21-58-57.webm (2.85 MB, 600x330)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB WEBM
>>664694
I'm pretty sure the RTS genre peaked with Supreme Commander. There's been a couple good ones since then, but SupCom really did, and still does, feel like the ultimate evolution of the genre. The scale, the tools to help automate its massive scale, a healthy focus on economy while the combat still remained engaging, great soundtrack, it really was the whole package.
I wish I had more to say about the game, but it's just kind of perfect aside from its performance problems that its underrated, but understandably so sequel fixed at the cost of some rather strange gameplay decisions.\
>>723916
I still sometimes watch it. That E3 trailer easily makes my list of greatest video game trailers of all time. Best of all it was all gameplay footage. I still sometimes hum the SupCom soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HsktY5zoU4
>>
>>724138
I hope it doesn't suck. I watched the interview they did with Gyle and it seems like they have some good people on-board who know what they're doing. It has some pretty big shoes to fill though. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
>>
>>724207
supreme commander and world in conflict came out in 2007. i love the wargame series and steel division 2, but it really seems like rts has basically dropped off and nothing interesting has happened in a long time.
>>
>>724441
One of the devs for Sanctuary is the dev for Nomads, I'd say the team has the capacity to fill these shoes.
I've watched said dev's interview in Russian (it's very fresh, published 3 days ago) and they are ready to show a demo of sorts as soon as in a couple months' time.
Can't say I'm not excited. Haven't been excited for a videogame in a long time now.
>>
File: 1454722033010.jpg (19 KB, 316x400)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>723916
>>724207
The four Salems peeling off from the fleet battle and showing off their amphibious capabilities still gives me goosebumps.
>I still sometimes hum the SupCom soundtrack.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Rhiza's Offensive will be stuck in my head for the rest of my life
>>
>>723916
>walkey walkey naughty naughty
>>
File: 9rliwk8ufx151.png (873 KB, 1884x1319)
873 KB
873 KB PNG
>>724938

https://youtu.be/EVT8GKTwtZw
>dun. dun. dun.
>du dun. dun. dun. du
>dun. dun. dun.
>du dun. dun. dun. du
>dun. dun. dun.
>du dun. dun. dun. du
>dun. dun. dun.
du dun. dun. dun. du
>DAA DAA DAA
>DA DAA DAA DAA DA
>DAA DAA DAA
>DA DAA DAA DAA DA
>DAA DAA DAA
>DA DAA DAA DAA DA
>DAA DAA DAA
>DA DAA DAA DAA DA
>>
>>664694
I tried to like it but the large scale, units and gameplay feel so impersonal I might as well be bashing two excel sheets against each other. Imo it should be either smaller scale or slower to build up, and have some hero units or whatever.
>>
>>726125
Sounds like you might unironically prefer Supreme Commander 2.
>>
>>686775
It was over when sc2 removed lan support.
>>
>>695614
I found cybran t2 navy the strongest. Having long range direct fire on the cruiser allows it to put on similar pressure as the destroyer and help out with land bombardment. Having such a strong t2 allowed me to rush t3 navy and from then, despite the battleship being weaker, using it's increased range made it a favorite for me to finish off a weakened t2/t3.
Couple of the counter intel boats mixed in does wonders for wasting enemy fire power as well.
Cruiser AA is shit so a concerted torpedo bomber push ruins me.
>>
>>726125
>gameplay feel so impersonal
>you can take your personal giant mecha and go assassinate enemy commander's personal giant mecha
>>
File: 1393984083768.jpg (190 KB, 900x900)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>678152
>Supcom game with SMAC style unit customization but in 3D
>>
>>726125
Don't play on huge maps? Small maps are very up close and personal.
>>
What are your favourite factions and playstyles anons? Relatively new to Supcom, but I like the Cybran both aesthetically and with all their stealth and other weird units (mainly the walking boats).
>>
even though I like the scale better it's hard to go back to faf after playing zero k. all the quality of life improvements to unit ai, controls, etc and the amount of distinct personality all the units have is just so damn good. some of the changes the past year or so are kinda wack though. fuckin devs actually listen to their autistic retarded 20 person player base and that's historically a bad thing.
>>
>>726125
>Should be smaller scale and slower to build up
My dude, unless you rush it to the expense of all other things, the advanced units in this game don't show up until like half an hour in. And there are maps you can play on where you can shoot the other guy's base with basic artillery from your spawn.
> and have some hero units or whatever.
What do you think your ACU is, exactly? The damn thing even has it's own upgrade tree! Sure, it can't OHKO everything like the TA one can, but it still makes everything it fights eat shit for the first 10 minutes of the game with no upgrades unless you overcommit like an idiot.
>>
>>727710
UEF, and it depends on the map, but usually I try to run a moderately aggressive holding build where I maintain a reasonable portion of map control and keep the bulk of combat towards the enemy's side, but not so much so that he can get easy reclaim from the wreckage, and usually trying to avoid excessive resource investment in the combat. While doing this, I try to build up my economy faster than his, and either push out an early nuke, or get a steady stream of Percivals going.

When playing naval, I go fast for T2, a few torpedo boats and a cruiser, then push the enemy's naval base and try to destroy it early. While he's busy fighting off that, I advance my economy and naval production up to T3 and eventually wheel out battleships for shore bombardment.
>>
>>726125
lol go play dota fag
>>
>>726566
Cybran T2 navy is generally considered the weakest.
>lowest HP destroyer with long range but inaccurate guns
>cruiser with worst AA, deck gun is irrelevant since it has 3k HP, if you want to fight navy you just make more destroyers
>can't fire backwards, if you try to retreat you'll lose your entire navy without firing a shot
>no hover land
Stealth boats make up for it very slightly by forcing your opponent to send a scout stream and barracudas are situationally useful, but get oneshot by 2 suicide torps. Cybran T2 navy game is about spamming frigates and hoping you can overrun your opponent. Compare it to Sera:
>Destroyer that can reliably fight frigates
>Cruiser with decent AA and cruise missiles
>Zthuees
>Hover flak and hover tanks
>Hover T3 shields
Sera destroyers are weak against subs, that's all. Or Aeon:
>Best destroyer in the game, highest HP, huge torp damage, long range gun
>Cruiser with best AA
>T2 subs
>Hover flak, hover T2 shields
Or even UEF:
>Weak, but high HP destroyer
>Cruiser with good AA and excellent missile firing pattern
>Shield boats that make it impossible to suicide torps into cruisers cost-effectively
>Hover tanks
>Coopers are beastly against subs
>>
File: sontaran 7.jpg (128 KB, 640x478)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>728536
>can't fire backwards, if you try to retreat you'll lose your entire navy without firing a shot
>>
>>728536
Pound for pound cybran get dicked on everywhere.
But they fit my playstyle best. T2 navies should never be going head to head more so than any other navy tech I think and cybran get a lot from some mild micro. Split group, stay on the edge of range assisted with stealth boats and cruisers can assist in direct fire.
Same for cybran t2 land. I always had multiple groups of stealth tanks with rocket bots but again it's micro heavy. Chews up apm and you have to give safe orders while you go back to do base things.
>>
>>664956
This. I usually just like bot-stomps or meme co-op maps like thermopylae.
God, I wish I had the time to play this game again.
>>
>>728536
just bring the boats on land to tank and use air to suppress water.
>>
File: 1492384303615.jpg (33 KB, 550x281)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>
Man, I wish these games had better campaigns. I love the gameplay but skirmish gets boring after a while and I don't have the time, or proper internet connection, for multiplayer.
>>
>>678152
Warzone 2100's and Metal Fatigue's unit customization baken in for ultimate random mayhem.
>>
>>735590
You know what, throw in the three layered maps from Metal Fatigue in too.
>>
File: 1488610631746.png (47 KB, 1256x615)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>
>>738143
doesn't build a factory first, still expects to make it to the tyranids phase
>>
Currently on sale on GOG. I don't play a lot of RTS but should I get this or am I being meme'd on?
>>
File: S7K7JCrc_400x400.jpg (26 KB, 400x400)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>664700
>>664950
>>664956
the absolute state of /vst/
>>
File: sc_10.jpg (1.28 MB, 1600x1200)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
>>738218
Forged Alliance and the original have different openings. SupCom is mex start while FA is factory first.
>>
File: 1410580855483.jpg (24 KB, 367x202)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>tfw constantly getting scrubbed by just the campaign on normal
I can't even make it past the 3rd UEF mission without having my base being run over by Aeon destroyers
someone help me git gud
>>
>>740268
The campaign missions always send waves of enemy units at you. They're free mass so make sure always reclaim. Other wise, just be sure you're never stalling by building too much or wasting mass by not building enough.
>>
>>740268
If you're playing vanilla supcom, abuse T1 subs. They murder all navy, no exceptions.
If you're playing FAF, spam frigates and make some T1 subs. Frigates are cost effective up close, subs clean up enemy subs afterwards.
>>
>>740793
Does no one play FA that is not FAF?
>>
>>740847
There's surely someone that plays vanilla. Some people also play LOUD.
>>
>>740847
I play on Steam personally, FAF reeks of esports and boomers. Not many players there though at some times of the day you see some matches.
>>
>>740912
>reeks of esports
This. The only reason I try some of these mods is for performance reasons but usually there's some "game balance" that ends up making certain things not fun at all.
>>
>>740847
I play vanilla SupCom and FA with a few mods but not FAF. They require steam activation now and that's some gay shit I don't want to deal with. I also don't like it for the reasons mentioned above. It's probably because I don't play multiplayer much but some of the balance changes just seem arbitrary. The non competitive lobbies also only ever play the same two or three maps despite FAF boasting about their giant map vault. I'm glad FAF exists as a community but I don't want to be a part of it.
>>
>>
>>740987
I play it singleplayer when I get bored but it feels soulless somehow. I can't put my finger on what exactly.
>>
File: qcyms48o5z271.jpg (475 KB, 2800x1372)
475 KB
475 KB JPG
>>
>>744321
>Red UEF
Cringe
>>
>>744321
Summit class is still my favourite unit, at least aesthetically
>>
>>740847

I've never played FAF or multiplayer. I have the Sorian AI, a bunch of maps and the start with all 4 commanders mod. Super comfy for a nice relaxing comp stomp
>>
>>
File: supreme_steel.jpg (245 KB, 874x1023)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>664694
If you like the game look at that anon
>>
File: 1600067259967.png (597 KB, 800x800)
597 KB
597 KB PNG
Still my all time favourite RTS.

>Play Seraphim
>All my strategies come down to rushing T2 and spamming Illshavohs
Not that I don't enjoy watching them wreck havoc, but I need more strategies

Also if you T2 PD creep you're a nigger
>>
File: TOPHAT2_zpsd25b9019.jpg (259 KB, 685x666)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
>>749287
That's why you T3 pd creep.
>>
>>664694
I only like the land-boat unit, but it's 10/10, so I like this game
>>
File: unknown (1).png (2.83 MB, 1920x1080)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB PNG
>>670877
Supreme Commander came the closest, but even then it's truncated compared to TA. SupCom2 is a mess and PA is just boring. Personally I hate any game that tries to convince me that playing on a beach ball of a map is "fun". Go big or go home, doubly so for TA.

I keep meaning to try out Escalation. I hope it's as fun as it looks.
>>
>>749712
Escalation is actually fun. Thing is that the DLCs kinda broke the campaign scenarios. In that if you buy the DLCs, then you have access to most of the DLC stuff. Kinda makes some of the missions into a cakewalk when you suddenly get access to the stuff from last DLC (Hunter Prey if I remember the title well).
Still we'll have to wait for a new successor to TA.
>>
>>749757
DLC? There's stuff beyond the original expansions?
>>
>>749287
>that macro
fucking based
>>
>>723916
why did they do it bros?
>>
>>749784
Yes. And they do add in new stuff. Like the Juggernauts which are Dreadnoughts on steroids.
>>
>>750033
I need a link. This is confusing and new.
>>
>>751906
Look up the DLC lists. Or just buy the game with all the DLCs. Preferably when the sales will include the game. It surprisingly often goes on sales.
>>
>>752158
Are you talking about the free units Cavedog released on their website twenty years ago?

Or did someone develop "official" DLC relatively recently and I've just been unaware?
>>
>>752165
I was talking about Ashes of Singularity...oh. Shit you were talking about the mod for TA that has the same subtitle? Darn.
>>
>>752166
No worries, I should give AotS another go as well.
>>
File: 1620319919307.jpg (122 KB, 942x611)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>664694
I usually just turtle to t4 on 81km maps, but decided to play one of the smaller ones on ffa. It was way more fun, I almost won but got to cocky and wanted to amass a larger force to absolutely shit on the last ai even though it wasnt needed, he stomped me with t3 bombers.
>>723916
No way. I begged my grandma to buy me the game even though I didn't have a pc to run it. I literally waited like 10 years to play it once I could get a pc when I was older. I wish I could find some non try hard people to play with.
>>749246
I still have my original box as well, I like the unit sheet on the back of the map, it's pretty neat.
>>749924
To forever shit on other studios for never being able to top it.
>>
File: 1joy3nsx4wg61.jpg (40 KB, 770x485)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>753973
>>
File: Icarus_Mech.jpg (169 KB, 1280x720)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>738143
>one month
Huh, I was listening to the SupCom OST while playing Dyson Sphere Program today.
The Mech used is quite a bit like a UEF Commander.
>>
File: 1g32dyvwvuj61.png (310 KB, 680x794)
310 KB
310 KB PNG
bumping best /vst/ thread
>>
>>752165
thats what got me onto the internet all those many years ago. would go to the local university on my bicycle with my cousin with a bunch of floppydisks to download new units for TA. i remember pirating a copy of warcraft 2, i think it took about 40 floppydisks lol
>>
im thinking about buying forged alliance. i enjoy RTS games like starcraft, I love the macro game and really building up the economy. Does FA have a lot of this too?
>>
>>757396
you've pretty much described the game
make sure you install forged alliance forever though. it improves the balance of the game dramatically while keeping all vanilla gameplay intact.
>>
>>757418
even if i only want to play offline against AI?
>>
>>757445
certainly
>>
>>757445
oh yeah, there's also campaigns against AI that you can do co-op if you've got a buddy, too
but i think you can just single player them if you want
>>
re-bumping thread
>>
File: 1513534896777.jpg (29 KB, 609x640)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Did FAF change something about Salvation? I remember it being great fun for AI stomping, but in all of the recent games I watched people play it was never built, even when the matches devolved into t3 artillery spam or Mavor/Scathis duels.
>>
File: happycatglitch.jpg (56 KB, 497x493)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>759591
>The Salvation was changed to an experimental unit in FAF
https://supcom.fandom.com/wiki/Aeon_T3_Rapid-Fire_Artillery_Installation
>>
>>759619
It kind was already, in all but a name.
>can only be built by T3 engineers or ACU
>one of the most expensive buildings in the game
>>
>>
>>759591
Salvation is very inefficient compared to even T3 arty, but it has very low build time. It's the thing you spam after you made Paragon.
>>
File: astroart.png (44 KB, 800x800)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>762775
>no aeon gf
>>
File: sc_aeonpilot2.jpg (101 KB, 1024x683)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>763193
Body suits are great like that.
>>
>>763200
> 2007 Gas Powered Games
I want to go back, bros...
>>
>>759591
It's really bad against shields. The Scathis is actually also shit although IIRC FAF buffed it to act more like a Mavor.

On Steam at least the only game enders you usually see built are Mavor or Yolona Oss, because they can get through shields.
>>
>>763291
Everything is really bad against shields in vanilla FA since it has no damage overspill.
>>
>>
>>664694

i like supreme commander 2 more than 1
>>
I'm considering attempting a FaF mod to make 81km maps more playable/balanced for multiplayer. What do you think should be added/changed for such a mod?
>Balance stuff I can probably mod easily
>No RAS SACU. Usually on these maps defending Mex and gens is pointless when your entire economy is fueled by SACUs
>No Teleport SACUs too, (or maybe just limit their range) (Commanders can still tele)
>(On the fence about this, gib input) Paragon changed to a RAS device- price reduced to the cost of a RAS upgrade on an SACU but only produces that much instead of infinite. Also give it more HP and less severe a deathnuke.
>ALTERNATIVELY, Paragon has a set range of about 7km and instead of giving infinity resources makes buildings and units near it cost 0 to run/build
Reasoning is that I'd like damaging eco/map control to matter even late game, however you could argue it's your own fault for not scouting the Paragon, however again on an 81km map getting a snipe in can be super tricky.

All new stuff which I'd have to learn to do, (I already can 3d model)
>transport ships- massive transports loaded with shields and tac missile defense/torp defense but only light anti-air and anti-navy weapons for when you need to make a landing on a fortified island and air transports just don't cut it, use Salem code to hover onto the beach (slow on land) and drop off a horde of units
And for air-
>Mass Transport- T3.5 air transports that have a extremely high max speed but take AGES to get there and slow down again, with massive fuel supplies and tons of unit capacity
Used more for strategic moves than combat drops, they're fast and can defend themselves against air decently (if at speed) but get shredded by SAMS and take forever to drop off units
>Some kind of T3/4 scouting for everyone, not just Aeon and UEF, and a T3.5 Radar building with huge range but suitably huge energy costs, (a juicy strat target)
>>
File: 1616655632366.jpg (24 KB, 656x488)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>765287
>no harbinger gf
>>
File: 6hhp8hy32as61.jpg (263 KB, 1482x1440)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
>>765343
forged alliance is best one
play faf or you're a fag
>>
File: 1625960673712.png (332 KB, 635x465)
332 KB
332 KB PNG
>>765485
>bro play my FAF mod
>No RAS ACU
>No tele ACU
>Change to experimental
>a bunch of nomad tier units
good luck getting anyone to help you with these ideas or play them if you somehow get them to fruition outside of like, two private lobbies EVER
games that use current-meta units with modifications or just outright ban units from play have their place, but they're extremely unpopular and played in private for a reason
look at the amount of shit they added into the nomads project. has anyone so much as talked about it for months?
>>
>>765886
True, but to put it simply FAF is not balanced well at all for 80km maps, which means nobody want to play on them even if they are willing to play a 2 hour game.
>>
>>762775
>>763200
What do the UEF pilot suits look like? I only ever saw the Aeon and Cybran ones in their intros.
>>
File: Uefpersonnel.jpg (32 KB, 430x282)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>766248
Probably a normal UEF uniform considering the FA intro movie.
>>
Hell yeah OP
>>
>>766248
>>766266
The UEF one is more like a vehicle cockpit, you can just wear your normal military uniform.
Cybran probably plug directly into their ACU and control it like an extension of their body, how much they need a special suit for it and not just a USB 200.0 cable isn't explained afaik.
Aeon probably do something like a mix of the two- standard cockpit but also some neural link with alien jizz or some kind of psionic link, since according to the cutscene from FAF Princess Whats-Her-Face is a fucking wizard??

Who knows what the ayy lmaos do. We do know you can see the pilot inside some kind of cockpit in the quips though, (assuming those are "canon" video feeds from a webcam inside the ACU), so they probably aren't melded directly into their ACU like one might expect.
>>
>>724138
Ehhh not hype but I do at least have a small bit of hope for it since the devs have allegedly been directly talking to the original supcom devs.
>>
For me, it's the Salem.
UEF have a lot of things that suit my preferred playstyle a lot more, but Salems are cool and being able to rush t2 navy earlier thanks to cheaper boats is nice.
>>
>>765485
>>765924
>80km
You mean 40x40? It probably still wouldn't get played because the performance would be so bad.
>No RAS SACU
They're a comeback mechanic so that late game it isn't strictly mapcontrol equals better economy. Instead of boi spam it'll be mass fab spam, which are still more difficult to defend so fair enough if that's your goal.
> no tele SACU
considering a bad tele SACU attack is a mass donation should leave that, imo. Tele defence isn't hard to do. Leaving ACU tele in makes me think you're still fine with telemazor all-in, so not sure why SACU tele cheese is bad, considering if it fails it's a lot of mass for the defender.
> Paragon
Dunno what the performance hit would be for the "free in range" thing. Either way it'd just get spammed.

Sounds like you want to slow down the game even more and have stalemates. That seems the opposite direction to making people want to play 40x40.
>>766335
The original supcom devs seem happy to shoot the shit with anyone interested in it. Sanctuary seems like a pipedream for an indie studio to achieve, but good luck to them.
>>
>>766518
No I mean 80×80. There's only a handful of vanilla maps, like Betrayal Ocean that are that big and playing on them quickly shows that the games aren't really made for that size, which is unfortunate since I think the giant maps are cool (even if it does just usually end up as "who can spam more nukes than the other guy)
>>
>>766948
I played an 81km map once. It was shit: it was like playing a 2x res match, where the bulk of the game is skipped over and we jump to T3/experimentals. Because the map is too big and by the time people would start to ferry forces over, everyone's already into lategame base. In the case that I played it I ended up making a paragon and spamming donuts. Most boring crap ever.

Speaking of 2x res, including that mod with the game was honestly the biggest mistake GPG ever made. Because it's stock, and not third party, people actually host matches with that shit turned on.
>>
>>767005
There will always be a lot of people who just want to see big numbers and big armies smash together. They either stay in their "5x resources 5x buildpower experimental mex shields defenses" simcity, or "graduate" to competitive ecowhoring cancer on astro crater and such. That's just how it is.
>>
>>766518
The problem with SACU teleport is simply that other factions lack it, Aeon is already much better suited to 80km maps with their instant infinite range scouting, the Paragon, donuts+Tempest, Restorers for defense, etc.
I'd also be fine just adding tele to Cybran and UEF SACUs instead
>>
>Corsair
>"Fast" Fighter Bomber
>Moves about as fast as my APM, (which is to say slow as fuck)
I understand why they don't want them to be Interceptors+1, but God damn they're slow.
>>
>>768432
They shouldn't be too fast for T1/T2 AA
>>
>>768944
Eh yeah I just don't think they should be called a "fighter bomber" if it's slow as fuck. Maybe call it a "multi-role gunship" instead or whatever.
Is it autism? Yes. But then anyone playing Supcom in CURRENT YEAR has at least some of the 'tism.
>>
>>749712
Isn't there a TA remake that uses the spring engine?
>>
I played a lot of games against my friend. We were both noobs, but I won usually.
My favourite memories are matches when it seemed all lost to me and I just scouted his ACU, pulled every units together with my ACU and went for him. It usually worked because he forgot it at a forward position or didn't react in time. Obviously this was on smaller 1v1 maps.
>>
>>769943
It's called Beyond All Reason.
The spring engine somehow runs worse than supcom, so be wary. Or it could be just me.
>>
>>767273
Yeah, but you shouldn't enable them by making the mod come with everyone's copy of the game.

Leave it to being 3rd party so that when some dipshit hosts a 2x game most people won't be able to join it without going out of their way to download and install a mod.
>>
>>769930
I still think that my autism is better than yours fighter, bomber and gunship refer to main weaponry use modes of the craft. So Corsair, having weapon systems of a fighter as well as of a bomber, is naturally classified as a fighter/bomber. It's not a gunship since a gunship moves and attacks in a quite specific way, and that is not that way.

Is it really designated as "fast"? Maybe it's fast for a T1/T2 bomber
>>
>>770607
And anyway Cybrans are all about units that do a lot of things, but all of them mediocre
>>
I HATE LUA
>>
>>770647
mantis is the best unit in the game. If you don't get enough lead with mantis raiding to just fuck everyone up you're bad.
>>
>>770355
Beyond All Reason hurts my eyes for some reason. The graphics are strange.
>>
File: 8lciAqD.jpg (255 KB, 1522x839)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
>>770647
>zerg rushes your expanding engineers and rapes your base within the first 120 seconds of the game
>>
>>771934
>A Mantis is about 4x the size of a M1 Abrams
>These are the weakest and most numerous Cybran unit
The scale of Supcom is pretty silly.
>>
File: bN7l9eU.jpg (151 KB, 1920x1080)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>772148
Go big or go home.
>>
>>772148
Ever play Deserts of Kharak? The tires on the tiniest unit you get, the LAV, are twice the height of a man. The tiniest fighter jet is twice the width of a B2 Bomber.

RTS games seem to always go wonky on size comparisons.
>>
>>763200
>aeon playable character was a girl the whole time
Is it weird that I always assumed such?
>>
>>744321
why does a robot boat require a bridge with windows
>>
>>772753
It's classy
>>
>>772178
That's because they wanted the game to be Homeworld on the ground with the Carriers as a big focus for both gameplay and story. Makes sense then that they wouldn't want smaller vehicles than the LAV shitting up the scale. Also from a story point of view it's probably not a good idea to take something the size of a real world van or tank out into that planetary desert especially towards the equator.
>>
>>772753
for the robot captain to look out of, of course.
>>
>>765883
I just found about Zero-K, a open source attempt to make an alternative to Supemme Commander. Has anybody here tested that? Is it any good?
>>
>>772839
Well, I meant more that keeping all the units the same, but physically shrinking the sizes down would have made more sense. Instead every vehicle seems like it should have a crew of at least 30.

Comparing it to Homeworld, I think almost all the light craft are actually a bit smaller than the DoK bomber.

With Supreme Commander at least it mostly makes sense, I think the way the air transports work in terms of capacity really sold the scale differences well. (Even if the smallest mech marine was taller than a tree)
>>
>>772847
>open source
wouldn't expect it to work any time soon
>>
For me, it's Mantis spam followed by rushing T2 navy for Salems supporting the spam horde.
>>
>>664694
Never got into it, its way too ugly
>>
>>772847
Yes, the game has been going on for years. It is was always pretty stable for me, never crashed. >>772882

Playerbase is not too big, don't know how it is now, might have increased since Steam release.
Mind you, the gameplay is different than Supcom or TA, the core of it is mostly the same, but the units and QoL things, the flow and balance are changed a lot.
For example you don't upgrade mexes or factories or anything. You build a fac and you can pimp out every unit. The only thing you can upgrade is you comm, but it is risky and not always worth it.(or at least years ago when I played)
>>
>>773362
I've never had Zero-K crash on me. There's also co-op campaign which is kind of fun.
>>
Percival drops are the best thing in the game.

>make 12 percies and load them into a pair of Continentals
>send in a big screening cloud of cheap air to distract enemy anti-air / ASFs
>swoop your transports in while the enemy is occupied and drop your percies on the outskirts of the enemy base
>congratulations you've just done the equivalent of airdropping two GCs right next to the enemy base
>percivals proceed to shred their base because 12 percies will punch through any shields in one or two rounds of firing and eradicate any base structure in one round
>>
>>773412
that you, Flood?
>>
>>744321
why is the radar on the middle ship not connected
very poor workmanship
>>
>>773589
Advanced UEF technology, you aren't authorized to know how it works.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2.55 MB, 1920x992)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB PNG
>>772179
No, it was pretty clear from the Aeon opening cutscene. I know her shape isn't crazy exaggerated, but you'd have to be paying exactly zero attention to the screen to not see that this pilot is a woman.
>>
>>773362
I wouldn't really call Zero-K's gameplay 'different' persay, because it is straight up someone's autistic TA homebrew (literally, the very engine it is a reverse-engineered TA sourceport and most of the things on it show it, some of Zero-K's units are litterally just TA units in both form and function), and the fact that the guy/s behind it were the kind of autistic sperglords who thought that Advanced units were bad and that Metal Makers were cancer honestly just makes it a lot less fun for me, BAR is a better experience in pretty much every way, and that's just TA with some fudged names and everyone gets the Core Resbot as a basic unit.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.