[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1609961825843.png (1.03 MB, 1263x870)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
Why does every grand strategy game have no fog of war? It always bugs me how in CK or V2 I am able to see exactly how many troops and every single information about anything on anyone on the map. Wouldn't it be better if you actually had to employ spies to gather intel? How does my family in Spain know exactly what's going on in asia? It feels more like I'm playing a god game than strategy.
>>
>>635724
play one with it.
>>
>>635736
Such as?
>>
File: 110_map 0_turn2_round16_a.jpg (640 KB, 2983x1064)
640 KB
640 KB JPG
>>635739
shadow empaya
>>
Doesn't CK2 have this somewhat? When you zoom in enough everything is a fog besides your realm.
>>
>>635724
>in CK or V2 I am able to see exactly how many troops and every single information about anything on anyone on the map
Try to disable cheats, because these games definitely have fog of war.
>>
>>635724
>in CK or V2 I am able to see exactly how many troops and every single information about anything on anyone on the map
turn off the cheats then, lad
>>
>>635955
>>635975
>>635978
It doesn't matter since you can clearly see everything you need such their army size, where exactly their army is by who's leading the army, if they have mercs, the exact amount in their treasury etc
>>
>>635724
hoi4
>>
>>635724
Does stellaris count as grand strategy? You can only see as far as your sensors reach in that.
>>
Yes, too much information leads away from strategy into optimization. A good strategy game needs to force important decisions with an element of gamble, unquantifiable risk. This is what creates suspense and excitement pending outcomes.
>>
>>636067
>Yes, too much information leads away from strategy into optimization. A good strategy game needs to force important decisions with an element of gamble, unquantifiable risk. This is what creates suspense and excitement pending outcomes.
Another concise observation of why Paradox is bottom of the barrel strategy.
>>
>>635724
Both Eu4 and HoI4 have fog of war.
>>
>>635986
>>636011
>>636186
Never played those but I assume you can see everything about their economy and army strengths just just looking at some tab, just like in the 2 games mentioned by the OP.
>>
>>636201
EU4? Yes.
HoI4? No. You need to train spies to even see rough estimates on that. It usually just gives you a range on what it could be unless your decryption is way ahead of their encryption tech. Sometimes that range it gives is so massive it's useless "Oh wow, Germany has anywhere between 4 and 350 divisions!"
>>
Just play MP bro
>>
>>635724
I get FoW for AoE or RTS games. I dont play Paradox games but they have a lot of political intrigue mechanics. Wouldnt nations know a lot about each other irl with court spies and other informants
>>
>>636214
>they have a lot of political intrigue mechanics
lol no
Paradox games are as deep as a puddle. It's the cookie clicker games of "strategy".

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.