[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: trains.jpg (193 KB, 991x771)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
Choo choo motherfuckers
>>
>>633923
>cash reserves
Now that's got my attention, does this mean that factories now build a pot when profiting, divving up wages to owner and workers? instead of capitalists pocketing profit and then using that to pay wages like in vicky 2?
>>
>>633923
>armored trains
YES
YESSSSSSS
>>
>>633935
Vicky 2 factories had a reserve too but it was hidden
>>
never really thought it would happen lads, very happy, positivity only here.
>>
>>633923
God I love trains
>>
File: hoi4 trains.gif (510 KB, 600x338)
510 KB
510 KB GIF
>>633959
>>
>b-but Vicky 3 WILL be dumbed down casual shit!
>railways are now businesses with employees, inputs and outputs instead of static province upgrades
How will you cope now, doomcels?
>>
>>633977
MUH AI
>>
>>633977
MUH MANA
>>
>>633984
Capacities =/= mana tho
>>
>>633977
THEY RENAMED UNCIVS
THE GAME IS RUINED
>>
Neat. I'm guessing factories/RGOs will run on this same system

>>633987
Not being mana doesn't mean they're necessarily going to be good. I'm reserving judgement until we learn more about how they're used.
>>
File: 2o6kuu.jpg (9 KB, 226x258)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>633923
>State region Infrastructure: +40.8
>40.8
>.8
... why
Why the fuck they are doing this shit?
>>
>>633977
>You now don't build railroad, you just have an automated company that does everything for you, on its own
>It all boils to handful of retarded modifiers and there is only rail
Call me when they actually make decent infrastructure mechanics. Because I'm waiting since Vicky 1 for that. They've promised it for Vicky 2 and all they did was the same shit as Vicky 1. As far as I care, the new system for it is another +x to production that does fucking nothing and only covers rail, so a jungle in central Congo is going to have the same default as downtown Berlin.
>>
>>634142
>>You now don't build railroad, you just have an automated company that does everything for you, on its own
They said in one of the early posts that capitalists don't decide their own investments anymore, which does sound really shit.
>>
>>634150
I have absolutely zero expectations toward Vicky 3. Not in tune "Hurr it's gonna bomb durr", but literally nothing. If it works, fine, if it doesn't, who fucking cares.
I just wish they finally fucking realise they've never fucking expanded beyond Vicky 1 model, which in turn was caused by limitations of their engine back in the day and not intended features. Instead, they keep doing the same shit over and over, just because.
Why should I get excited about different way of rail working, if all it does is +x to production?
Does it affect migration?
Does it affect actual accumulation of resources and accessability?
Do I have other means of improving infrastructure than rail, like building normal roads, canals (those were build along rail, you know) and maybe later motorway?
Because when it's +x to production, why the fuck should I care how that x is achieved? What fucking difference does it make?
>>
>>633971

unironically better infrastructure than reality of the area
>>
>>634134
Weren't you fags complaining about round numbers all through last week.
>>
>>634179
>Does it affect migration?
Don't know
>Does it affect actual accumulation of resources and accessability?
Yes, it does in III.
>Do I have other means of improving infrastructure than rail, like building normal roads, canals (those were build along rail, you know) and maybe later motorway?
From what we saw last week there are roads at least. No news on canals and motorways. Though if roads are in motorways are probably also in.
>>
>>634184
Kek.
>>
>>633977
>Adding another spreadsheet on top of all the other spreadsheets is the same as adding a different gameplay feature or mechanic
The state of PDX's captive-audience
>>
>>634212
What's the difference between a spreadsheet and a mechanic other than a coat of paint?
>>
>>634134
This actually makes me hopeful railways are on a province level (so you don't build them in every single province like happened in Vic2)
>>
>>634179
It seems that states have a "market access" stat that changes the price of goods locally and it's increased by the infrastructure stat. They mentioned rivers having an effect too but I assume that'll be be a "Big River +10% market access" modifier.

>>634190
The "roads" in the "road maintenance" we've seen seem to just be the kind of dirt roads that can be maintained by corvee labour, hence using the authority meme resource instead of being like an infrastructure factory like the rail network in the OP.
>Don't know
This marketing meme were they drip feed information to build hype is cancer desu. It's literally impossible to tell if they've made a good vicky game until we know how well all the systems interact with each other.
>>
>>634216
You can collect a lot of data about mechanics, and it can be useful for learning. You can not do the reverse: use a spreadsheet to model a mechanic and then expect the model to recreate the same result beyond the most predictable cases. Compare games that use simulations with ones that are spreadsheets disguised as games; unpredictable things in mechanically-robust games follow their own logic, but spreadsheets doing unusual things simply imitate bugs or quirks that are common in all spreadsheets.

It's PDX that think a coat of paint is all that's needed, rather than something actually happening under the hood, like actual mechanics.
>>
>>634287
They already said that roads aren't only maintained with authority you lying retard, that's just one way to do it.
>>
File: 1597654364859.png (221 KB, 598x612)
221 KB
221 KB PNG
>>634334
Cool your 'tism. I was only talking about the "Road Maintenance" thing that we've seen. Also as far as I've seen Wiz only said that there's an infrastructure system that doesn't use authority, which is presumably the system in the OP, not whether it'll include a road building will be represented. I don't actually know if there'll be a road infrastructure factory like the railway one and I wouldn't be disappointed if there wasn't given this infrastructure system already looks better miles better than 2's even if it also only represents railways.
>>
>>633971
Can't wait for the Stellaris: Space Caravans and EUIV: Wooden Trains DLCs, because p*radox can't help itself but reuse every asset in every single game they develop.
>>
>>634385
unironically I would love to have more art assets for trade caravans and the like for flavor in my EU4 campaigns. Then again I'm a dlc cuck who buys the addons because I'm retarded
>>
>>634313
It's intriguing that you can type so much and say so little.
>>
>>634352
im convinced by this anon, i have lews hype now for v3
>>
>>634313
You realize practically all games now have a games systems designer who primarily sets up and gets working all mechanics and functions and how they interact with each other in a spreadsheet or similar to help in the development process, right?
>>
i fucking love how this game is looking so far
>>
>>634179
I wonder why provinces do not have "Urbanization" levels to provide distinction between Europe and exploding Americana or backwards but populated China.
This way we would not force cement consumption on PoPs and have caps on factory growth.
>>
>>634179
>>634287
>>634797
Because all that would require effort to plan, script and execute related mechanics.
Meaning a fuckload of effort for intricate mechanics that would require qualified code monkeys. Aka the thing Paradox never was good at and something they've genuinely stopped even trying to pull, ironically with the previous Vicky convincing them it's not worth the effort to even try.
>>
>>634797
>>634820
There is a distinction between urban and rural in Vicky III though
>>
>>634825
Like in levels of city infrastructure that are visible on map?
Or HoI "this province has fuckload of buildings, +20% to defense" type of distinction?
>>
>>634825
Is it a mechanic or just yet another (static) modifier? Because the anon was clearly talking about mechanic, instead of GoY$-style "province type"
I mean I'm looking at Vicky as a whole, the series of three games, then I'm looking at fucking RT2 & 3 and I realise a tycoon game had better working market, supply and demand chains than a game ostensibly about ins and outs of a global market. And it was made 24 and 18 years ago, on top of that.

I agree with >>634287 thou:
The "drip feed" of what the game will be is just an intentional hype fuel and nothing real or concrete, leading to us wasting time and effort on pointless discussion in the vaccum, for the sole benefit of PDX and free marketing.
Fuck. That.
And fuck how blindly /vr/ is following with this
>>
>>634830
>/vr/
Not THAT old yet.
But its true that this drip marketing is similar to that one from Emperor.
>think about potential
>think about the mods!
And then casket is closed year later.
Still, discussion is a overall good as long as enough counter-shills are deployed to stamp out the hype.
>>
>>634832
>counter-shills
Why is anyone that has any slightly positive sentiment a shill that needs to be countered by the most reaching, thinly-evidenced "criticisms"?
>>
>>634826
>>634830
As the second anon pointed out I don't have a dev diary to show as proof but Wiz has talked about the growth of urban areas leading to an expansion of job opportunities leading to the growth of urban areas and so on. He's also talked about catchment areas of goods and services in terms of increased efficiency.
>>
>>633923
>>633977
Obvious shill is obvious.
>>
>>634832
>>634856
>>>/v/
>>
>>634859
Your game is weak shill.
>>
dev diary when
>>
>>634842
Old good, new bad.
>>
>>634842
Lower
Your
Expectations
>>
>>634882
17 or 18 CET.
>>
>>634900
CET or CEST
>>
>>634907
17 BST
>>
>>633978
This honestly. ParaAI is retarded already, let alone with even more complex features. Can't wait until the AI fails to make any rational moves whatsoever.
>>
>>634899
They're low in that I expect them to fuck a few things up, they're high in that everything so far is good and Wiz isn't just autistic as opposed to autistic and retarded like Johan.
>>
>>634830
From the way Wiz has been talking about pops in the game, the main difference between urban and rural (just as between civilized and uncivilized nations) is the pops and economy that resides there. Urbanized areas will have more factories, academics, and capitalists, whereas rural areas will have more farmers and aristocrats.
>>
>>634953
Will be there an organic way to turn it into urban area, or its just collecting hammer mana until "WOOSH you are a city now"?
>>
>>634958
Come on, you need hammer and administration man's to make a city
>>
>>634958
dunno let me magically look into the future and I'll get back to you
>>
>>634979
So how did it go?
>>
>>634982
Vicky 3 gets dropped and they release East vs West instead
There's no urbanisation mechanics but there's plenty of deurbanisation
>>
>>634987
>plenty of deurbanisation
Kek
>>
>>634987
I like this future. Hope your time fuckery didn't alter the timeline.
>>
File: urban centres.png (405 KB, 477x585)
405 KB
405 KB PNG
>>634982
>Another special type of building is Urban Centers. Like Subsistence Buildings, these are automatically created rather than built, with the level of Urban Center in a State being tied to the amount of Urbanization generated by its other buildings. Urban Centers primarily employ Shopkeepers and provide a number of important local functions that we will get into at a later point.
>>
>>634832
>But its true that this drip marketing is similar to that one from Emperor.
We knew from early on that Imperator was going to be shit because we knew early on that it was based around casting mana to instantly manipulate POPs, and Johan was a faggot who responded to the flood of Respectful Disagreement by telling people they weren't going to like Paradox games.
With Vicky 3 we have some systems that to me sound like clear improvements, and some things that may be downgrades but the actual quality will be determined by how well everything ties back into the POP system.
Wiz at least seems more responsive to to feedback that Johan.
>>
>>634987
>Vicky 3 gets dropped and they release East vs West instead
It already happend, you dumb faggot
>>
File: chug.gif (1.95 MB, 450x188)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB GIF
>>634953
Oh god no. Just no. They are aiming for Imperator-style cities. No
>>
>>635305
I guess this is the biggest bright spot so far
I am highly skeptical so far and really worried about the state/province system and how basically everything is being abstracted out to the regional level (eg; a factory is not built in Los Angeles, it is built in 'California')
But at least the game is not obvious shit from the day of its announcement. It has a chance to be something decent.
>>
>>634134
If your models involve integration or differentiation, real numbers have nicer properties than integers.
>>
>>635347
What? You were thinking they are keeping Imperator alive for anything else than lab bed for ideas and game mechanics?
>>
>>635578
>lab bed
>Imperator obsession
ESL schizo strikes again
>>
>>633977
No one was saying it was dumbed down, people were saying the new UI looks stupid on a PC game and that the ongoing problems with the AI in other Paradox games will likely carry over to this new game. Your doomcels are made-up boogeymen living in your head rent-free.
>>
>>633977
It was an obvious conclusion given their last products
>>
>>634553
I know, with the result being increasingly that designers have more control, leading to more games being shit because nothing can happen that a designer didn't plan for. The player can't do anything that wasn't sanded-down to nothing first.
>>634533
That just means there's so little happening in that head of yours.
>>
>oh yes, it's Vicky factory time
My autism is positively tickled.
>>
>>635088
So there IS a urbanization meter.
Good. This might be the clear advantage over Vicky2.
>>
>>635343
But didn't that game have dlc on release?
>>
>>636024
Wow it really is a paradox game
>>
>>635343
>that shit
>East Vs West
lmao, don't even try
>>
>>635088
Sounds fine. Still absolutely hate the UI.
>>
>>636051
>t. didn't even know the game exists, not to mention playing it
Ask me how I know, Paracuck
>>
>>636107
I'm sorry your game didn't gain much traction and didn't do that well, I'm sure it's a good game but it ain't East vs West, I wish you guys well for your future games
>>
>>635343
The resource system is pants on head retarded and I have no idea how tank development works
>>
>>634385
>eu4 galleon traders
yes pls
anything that makes naval more important in eu4 is a good change
>>
>>636129
Just nerf land war, man.
>>
>>636141
no, by making trade more integral you change the face of the army/navy balance
one step would be to have actual trade ships instead of just putting light ships to 'divert trade power'
>>
>>634179
>Does it affect actual accumulation of resources and accessability?
https://youtu.be/TyDBzaVkwN8?t=282
>>
>>636157
Doesn't mean anything, as bankruptcy functions like a cure-all.
>>
>>633923
any good choo chooo devoted /vst/ games?
>>
>>636107
Given the sales, I think I might be like 0.5% of the entire playerbase on my own.

>>636110
Different anon, but that's literally East vs. West, but instead of retarded graft into HoI3 engine, a thing on its own, playing on its own. Has its own faults, but it's a fine game to play and definitely does the Cold War right (rather than the inevitable WW3 simulator EvW would turn into)

>>636116
>I am pants on head retarded
ftfy
>>
>>636193
Railroad Tycoon 2 for peak average of all related factors
Railroad Tycoon 3 for peak economic aspect of managing rail company
Machinky for peak Slav-tier rail autism
Rail Nation for peak comfy casual rail game
RailWorks series for peak modern rail simulator
>>
>>635353
>eg; a factory is not built in Los Angeles, it is built in 'California'
That was always the case.

We never interacted with anything at the province level beyond moving troops around and choosing which individual province would contain a port. Factories existed on the state level, railroads were always just built at every province regardless, and so on.
>>
>>636242
to be clear I think its bad aesthetically but its not actual mechanical streamlining
>>
>>636217
Like I said I don't doubt that it's a good game but I've always wanted a game with HoI 3 combat, Vicky II like economy and dynamic pops and political system that's also in Real Time instead of turnbased and where you can play shithole nations and improve their economies
>>
>>636242
>>636253
No I thought that too but it's worse than that. In V2 pops are explicitly located within provinces but in V3, apparently, they only exist at the state level. So in practice you can't tell how many pops live in LA vs Sacramento, and if LA were ceded to another country it's completely unknown how the population is then calculated.
>>
>>634276
>hopeful railways are on a province level (so you don't build them in every single province
>>
>>635343
>can only play two countries
I want to be Ceausescu.
>>
File: nt.png (535 KB, 1003x688)
535 KB
535 KB PNG
>>633971
>>
>>634830
>The "drip feed" of what the game will be is just an intentional hype fuel and nothing real or concrete, leading to us wasting time and effort on pointless discussion in the vaccum, for the sole benefit of PDX and free marketing.
See when I was wanting to explain to a friend who's only played CK2 and EU4 why I prefer Vicky 2, I didn't start by giving a brief overview of how a POP is actually a nuclear family, then talking about the most abstract resources like like suppression and diplo points and explaining how they're not mana like in EU4 because they're only used for a single thing and so don't force you to pick arbitrary trade offs.
I started with POPs and explained how everything ties into them and how there's enough of a simulation there to have natural cause and effect. I explained that POPs fulfilled their needs by buying things using the same money that the players uses, and that taxing them too much would actually take money off them and thus reduce their purchasing power and tariffs would actually make it more expensive for them to import things. I explained that my army was made of POPs who could actually die in battle so if I hit "mobilize" and fuck up and lose loads of POPs then this would hurt my economy because POPs are also the thing that produce all the goods that get bought and sold. I showed how the country I was playing interacted with the market when I tried to build an army and navy and showed him that construction wouldn't start because my country was having trouble sourcing the good needed and how to go about fixing that.
>>
If POPs being at a state level instead of province level turns out to be shit then I fully expect someone will mod the easy work around of making every province it's own state.
>>
>>636332
Supreme Ruler?
I think that's how it's called.
>>
>>637616
Supreme Ruler is buggy as fuck and has a retarded military management and command system, no thanks

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.