[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 59 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: aEB9YEO_460s.jpg (51 KB, 460x581)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
Should I play Napoopan in 2021?
>>
File: napoleon-total-war-02.png (1.61 MB, 1280x720)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB PNG
The map looks so nice even today. How they have done it? modern total war maps look so cluttered.
>>
>>628527
yes, it's fucking great. especially with enormous unit sizes desu; and mods for 40 units per army.
>>
>>628527
The Totauatot series went down the drain in recent years.
>>
it is top shit
>>
>>628546
I disagree, the maps in this game doesn't allow for armies this big, also the AI shits itself.
>>
File: eylauattackmoscowreg.jpg (477 KB, 1280x750)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
>>628601
>also the AI shits itself.
It shit itself on any unit size.
>>628527
Yeah it's fun. Especially if you like that period or want to roleplay as a man of average size for the time bullying Austrians and Prussians.
>>
I enjoy napoo the most of all TWs. Nice time period and almost no retarded brawling which never worked well in any TW game.
>>
Yeah but the AI sucks - it compensates in the campaign by throwing huge stacks at you.

>playing as France
>3 stacks of Russians attack my one stack
>they decide to charge full force through a thin valley with non-accessible elevation either side (only accessibly from the rear of the elevation)
>I rush all my men to said high ground
>put all my artillery facing into the valley

it was a fucking Turkeyshoot. My army ripped them to pieces. Of course 3 turns later, Russia appeared again with 3 fresh new stacks.
>>
>>628527
ETW is "better"
>>
darthmod 40 unit saves (also all line inf comes with fire by rank default in this version)
>>
File: 1490562775797.jpg (160 KB, 784x533)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
Was going to start my own thread but might as well ask here

Whats a good Total War game to start with for a newcomer?

I'm really interested in Medieval 2 TW, TW Empire and TW Rome. I understand Rome 2 gets a lot of hate. Whys that?
>>
>>628527
No you should play it in 2035
>>
>>628727
mediveal 2 is the worst tw
rome 2 is alright
rome 1 is kinda boring because generals are gods
empire is bugged beyond repair
>>
>>628727
>I understand Rome 2 gets a lot of hate. Whys that?
Bitter aging boomers. It's a better game than Rome 1.
>>
>>628727
>Whats a good Total War game to start with for a newcomer?
Shogun 2. You can then go either forwards or backwards depending on what you liked in it.
>>
>>628735
Rome 2 is auto resolve map blobbing fest
>>
>>628527
I'd say it looks very nice but the AI cannot handle the battles at all. It is only worth playing for the multiplayer.
>>
>>628739
Nobody is forcing you to autoresolve and Rome 1 is just as blobby.
>>
>>628727
Med2, either Romes are great starters.

Rome 2 had a terrible launch and changed much of the established formula and not always for the better. You can have fun with it but it is a sad husk of what it could have been.
>>
>>628748
>just play every battle

You auto resolve because you'll win either way moron. I'm sorry your game is piss easy.
>>
>>628753
>being forced to play boring Rome 1 battles where you're going to completely stomp the enemy but you can't autoresolve it because the autoresolve is broken and it would make you lose way more troops than you actually would is somehow better
>>
>>628754
Yep and Rome 2 fixes this by just breaking the auto resolve. Just the same problem but reverse.

Rome2 shills always go Rome1 sucks because their game fixes nothing and just added more problems. Everytime
>>
>>628760
Rome 2's autoresolves aren't broken, they're probably the most honest autoresolves in the series, and this is what people bitch about. In Rome 2, when you have an army that can completely shit all over an enemy army, the autoresolve reflects that. In Rome 1 in the same scenario, the bullshit autoresolve tells you you're going to lose a huge chunk of your army. Then you play the battle and lose like 13 men in total. Rome 1 is every bit as easy, there's just a shitload of pointless tedium on top of that.
>>
>>628766
>spams a stack of pure hastati
>is able to blitz across the map, getting more hastati stacks

You're just lying at this point.
>>
File: 1491299933077.jpg (85 KB, 707x500)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>628766
noooooooooooo rome2 is garbage!
>>
>>628706
>Of course 3 turns later, Russia appeared again with 3 fresh new stacks.
That's just a realistic depiction of how it feels to fight Russia.
>>
>>628706
>use cheats to get millions of gold
>shit out stacks like its nothing
>ai cant deal with the flood of your troops
>begs for peace
>>
>>628770
You can easily manually win battles with stacks of Hastati both in Rome 1 and Rome 2, the autoresolve is just being honest about it
>>
>>628859
So we're both in agreement the game is an unbalanced mess with easily exploitable auto resolve? Cool.
>>
>>628923
No, dipshit. Rome 1's autoresolve is just flat-out broken and doesn't actually reflect the battle situation. It lies and forces you to fight tedious battles that you already know you're going to win.
>>
>>628929
>but-but rome 1 bad tooooo!

You're a fucking retard
>>
>>628527
just play fall of the samurai lmao
>>
>>628727
Shogun 2 or Rome 1 are best starting points.
Anyone telling Med 2 is meming, that's not only a bad game, but also awful starting point.
>>
>>628931
I didn't say Rome 1 was bad too, I said it was worse, because it is.
>>
>>628939
Shogun 2 is incredibly boring. Unless you are a turboweeb that makes even most other weebs cringe you'll play one campaign max assuming you can even slog through the incredibly samey factions and rock-paper-scissors unit countering. Rome 1 has aged horribly and is inferior to Rome 2.
>>
>>628727
>understand Rome 2 gets a lot of hate. Whys that?
Word "horrible" doesn't even start to scratch the surface of that game in its release state. The legacy is so powerful, that despite being solved and fixed in next two years, people to this day recall just how awful the premiere was and how massive the disappointment.
Even if that's ignored, the game is still flawed and started the downward spiral for CA when it comes to design of their games. The R2-style provinces were a mistake. Ironically they work fantastically in Warhammer games, but that's unintentional. For "historical" TW, they are really fucking bad.
>>
>>628943

It's the exact same problem but opposite like I said earlier. Rome 2 didn't fix any of Rome 1 'a problems and added worse ones like fucking up the battles.

Its really stupid to constantly bitch about another game to try and defend yours.
>>
>>628946
Anon asked for best starting point. Shogun 2 is the best starting point. It doesn't matter if you consider it boring, it's the best game to learn all the ropes and comes with compatibility in either direction of the series - you can start with S2 and go either for older entries or move to the new ones and you will in both cases know what's going on.
Rome 1 is significantly easier to play than Rome 2 for a complete fucking newfag, which is why it's a better starting point. Both Rome 1 and 2 are shit games on their own, but 1 is a half-decent learning tool.

It's like you are posting blatant bait solely for the sake of someone engaging you and thus filling the emptyness you are carrying with (You)s
>>
>>628954
>Anon asked for best starting point.
I know he did. And recommending one game that is incredibly boring and samey and another that is archaic is only likely to turn him off from the series.
>>
>>628960

Some people like the sengoku era and the setting.
>>
>>628965
weebs aren't people
>>
>>628601
Ok or have more units
>>
I've liked every TW game I've played. So far I've gone through both Warhammers, Rome 1, Shogun 2, Medieval 2 and I'm like a third of the way through my first run of Empire.
I don't really get how you could like one of these games and think one of the others is shit. Like they've all got some flawed design choices, and there's things I like and dislike in each one but they're still all fundamentally pretty similar games.
That said, the worst changes to the series are replenishment and armies needing a general.
>>
>>628952
>worse ones like fucking up the battles.
lol? the battles play good though in rome 2. we just had a whole thread on this.
>>
>>628710
they got fire by rank back into Napoleon? Might try Darth Mod then. Empire DM is good but prone to crashes. Also naval battles are extremely slow..
>>
I've played 5 different TW games and I think I have to finally admit I just don't like them. The early game is always fun because you feel weak and a single battle can make or break your empire. Then the mid to late game feels like a slog as every battle feels the same against the shitty AI as you steamroll the map.
>>
>>628537
Because they make cities unneceserally large now and scatter random bullshit in between them so every inch must be covered with some 3d meaningless object.
>>
>>629404
Welcome to every strategy game ever.
>>
>>628946
>you'll play one campaign max assuming you can even slog through the incredibly samey factions and rock-paper-scissors unit countering.
Exactly my experience. Played and beat the campaign and never touched it again. Don't even remember anything from that game.
>>
>>628804
But it was napoleon who was shitting out stacks irl by constant conscription
>>
>>628527
If you have an interest in the period, absolutely. Just be prepared for some horrible AI and all of the UK being flat for some reason. Seriously, why is the UK and Ireland totally flat? I'll die irritated about that.
>>
>>628727
Out of the list I would pick Medieval 2 first, It has all the improvements of the flaws in Rome 1 and Empire is a mess without darthmod.
R2 gets alot of hate mostly from its launch state which its far from now, and it was beginning of the end where the series' battles starting becoming more "arcadey" as they say.
>>
I still think Napoopan has the best rock-paper-scissor unit balance out of any TW.
>regular infantry actually shits on cavalry as long as you are aware enough to form squares
>light infantry is great at supporting it, but gets fucked by cavalry
>balance between heavy cav and light cav

the only thing they fucked up with was making cannon ammo infinite, but oh well
>>
>>628727
DO NOT start with M2, it's a shitty dated game that somehow aged worse than Rome 1. Only go for it if you're fine with jank and is interested in mods.
>>
File: 1231549819.jpg (43 KB, 469x428)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>630853
>make stack of arty
>it wins every autoresolve battle with heroic victory
>>
>>629354

they're vastly improved from launch but there are still loads of issues.

>armies getting way too overbuffed with positive stats from winning battles
>generals doing this as well
>hoplites just instakill whats ahead of them instead of acting like actual hoplites and just keeping the enemy at bay
>rome is still OP to all hell, their basic tier units can beat nearly any faction
>to get better units you have to pay for overpriced DLC

rome2 shills will suck CA dick anyways
>>
>>630855
why the fuck do people want to hate on med2 now? it's the least offensive game in the series and is perfectly playable.

it's very dated, but it's system is still what total war uses today
>>
>>630855
even with mods m2 is shit
>>
>>629139
because people want to argue and will take turbo autist positions like rome2 is a perfect gem of a game and everything that came before it was dogshit rather than every game has it's pros and cons
>>
>>629404
yep, total war campaign in general is not very good and legit has barely changed since rome1
>>
>>630870
>hate
I don't hate it, it's just not a good start. Are you saying it's not a janky as fuck game with a shitty vanilla campaign?
>>
>>630855
>somehow aged worse than Rome 1
t. havent played non remastered Rome 1 lately

Medieval 2 literally runs on almost all the same mechanics of R1 but M2 improved the issues it had especially in terms of population, rebels, and AI, what the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>630883
med2 got recent updates and runs at full resolution and looks perfectly fine.

every total war campaign is a shitty jank fest, med2 is perfectly accessible to a newbie. the kingdoms campaigns are a huge step up in quality as well.
>>
File: austrians.png (1.3 MB, 800x583)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>>630492
Napoleon was small time. Now Austrians, these guys were the real spammers of the period. Kept getting their armies wiped out, kept losing wars and kept coming back for more every time.
>>
How fucking fast are you supposed to do the italian campaign?
>>
>>632226
This is the part of Napoopan that really bothers me. I would like a classic Total War campaign without the time limits.
>>
>>632226
>>632273
the italian campaign is extremely fucking easy anons. i seriously dont get how you fuck that up unless you're trying to blob out all the map for some reason
i agree it's not exactly the most fun shit though, to have a time limit. its kind of dumb.
maybe if they had implemented some mechanics to make it feel more like a military campaign and not a regular long-winded tw campaign
>>
>>632226
oh and btw you dont need to beat it to play the other campaigns. you only need to load it up and then u can do egypt. then repeat the process and play the main campaign lol.

i didnt figure this out first time i played
>>
>>628527
yes, it's a solid game with surprisingly little jank all things considered
Not that I would say it's perfect of course, but you can have a fun campaign or two.
>>
>>628730
worst opinions of all time. Congratulations anon, you did it.
>>
>>628946
>>629422
the only fun thing to do in shogun 2 is play otomo and enjoy the donderbuss memes.
>>
Bros I can't stop playing as France in total war/grand strategy games and I'm fucking British, why am I like this?
>>
>>632775
You are a Norman, Anon.
>>
>>630492
Russians had also a steady supply of serfs eager to serve.
>>
File: 1548219114.jpg (121 KB, 680x1020)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>play as france in napoo
>decide the brits cant beat me at waterloo if i wipe them off the map first
>invade their puny shit island and vanquish them
>london spawns two doomstacks of rebels with elite inf+9pd cannons and horses
Fuck you
>>
>>632853
>NOOOO YOU CAN'T JUST EXPLOIT THE FACT THAT WE'RE UTTERLY INCAPABLE OF PROGRAMMING A NAVY THAT WILL STOP YOU FROM INVADING BRITAIN
>>
>>628607
Why do they all look like kangz
>>
File: truth.png (2.27 MB, 973x1285)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB PNG
>>633117
>>
>>632775
You are alright anon. Maybe one day you will even be based and start playing prussia/germany in everything.
>>
>>633493
>Charlemagne was the first Holy Roman Emperor
I won't read your bait post if it starts out this bad.
>>
>>632853
Funny thing is the Brits would've been smashed at Waterloo if the Prussians hadn't come back and outnumbered the French 2 to 1. I have no idea how Wellington is considered one of the best military commanders today.
>>
>>633792
>I have no idea how Wellington is considered one of the best military commanders today.
Got lucky when it really counted, that's how
>>
>>628727
shogun 1
its simple, its good and its play great
>>
>>628954
>Shogun 2 is the best starting point
lmao
>>
>>630884
i played OG rome recently and I agree with this anon >>630855
Med 2 is terrible point to start
the best would be Shogun 1, Rome 1 or Warhammer
>>
>>633769
>le alt right grossgermania meme
I'm pretty sure everyone plays prussia in vicky 2 because it's one of the only factions that's actually fun to play
>>
>>628527
RAW WAR
>>
>>632877
Creative Assembly needs to take a page from Paradox and treat navies the way that HOI4 does by having them "patrol" a sea province (or just a very large area of control) and have a percent chance of stopping an enemy navy from passing through.
>>
>>632775
>blue color
>good starting position
>usually pretty strong by default
>isn’t crippled by German mini-states autism or perpetually grey color
>isn’t on the same island as Welsh and Irish
>>
>>633769
>Prussia/Germany
>not Austria/Germany
Ishygddt
>>
>>634012
Habsburg? More like Assburg.
>>
File: NoelleoN Raw War.jpg (1.09 MB, 4002x2793)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>628527
No, NoelleoN Raw War is clearly the superior game OP.
>>
>>633769
Peasant taste, ngl
>>
>>634012
>Austria
based
>Austria-hungary
ultrabased
>>
File: 20210527234629_1.jpg (1011 KB, 2560x1440)
1011 KB
1011 KB JPG
>>628527
only if you use Darthmod
>>
File: 20210610203935_1.jpg (745 KB, 2560x1440)
745 KB
745 KB JPG
>>628735
this
>>628727
napoleon shogun 2 or rome 2, the other games are too dated or too complex for a newbie
>>
i played it on release and didnt really like it all the much even though i played it for like 100 hours
now that ive played it recently its actually fucking incredible, i dont know how i was turned off by this game but i recently just burned through all the SP content and had a blast
installing mods now but they dont play or run as well as just vanilla
>>
Is the Egypt campaign seriously just beating up armies that don't have any line infantry worth a damn?
>>
>>636153
At some point Bongs intervene and they got pretty tough units.
>>
>>635764
>Blood DLC
It's really all you need to know about the game.
>>
>>636153
>>636177
I simply rushed the objectives and never saw no bongs
>>
>>628527
Play it with LME3 if you want the definitive edition
>>
>>636413
Dont they do that to circumnavigate getting an adult rating for their games?

Thats how the justification was always told to me
>>
>>636423
no its bullshit. they can give it for free. its a scam that they give such an essential and charge like 5 bucks for it.
>>
>>636626
do you not have 5$?
>>
>>636658
old bait but good bait
>>
>>630853
Napoleon has the shittiest AI in strat. Hands down. I guess you'll finally lose the battle if you run out of musket ammo but being outnumbered x4 on very hard is no problem because the AI is totally broken and useless.
>>
>>636704
Way to out yourself as never playing the game

neck yourself
>>
>>632775
I'm German and I usually play Ottomans or Russia. Reforming and building up some shitty but vast country is a lot more engaging than unifying Germany the 10th time.
>>
>>636783
Why are germans so insufferable and autistic?
>>
>>628730
>>630855
>The worst one was my first total war game
Does it really not hold up? I remember liking it
>>
>>632775
France has more romance to it while the English are always the easiest fucking campaign in any total war
>>
>>632775
Same but I'm Australian.
>>
>>632775
I'm Russian and one of my favorite nations to play is the Brits. Don't often like playing Russia though, the size of the country annoys the fuck out of me to manage.
>>
>>628727
Medieval II or Rome I.
Rome I has a bunch of ahistorical stuff that I don't know if the "remaster" kept. Medieval II is more fun and has a lot of mods available.

If you're a massive weeb, then Shogun II. Yes being a weeb is required to enjoy that one, please do not start with it if you aren't fanatical about Japan.

Empire is... for fans of the series, not newcomers. Bad AI is a staple for old total war games and it just sometimes stops working in Empire, the game will crash at least once per campaign, sieges crash the game, naval warfare is bad and the AI can see through the fog of war.
>>
>>637626
>Rome I has a bunch of ahistorical stuff that I don't know if the "remaster" kept.
they kept it. didn't bother to change the egyptian units to be more historical, they just... remade the old, inaccurate ones. this company is shit
>>
>>638001
Honestly the way they represented Rome's factionalism is just as bad. The gens were never unified political blocs, and 2 out of 3 of the factions aren't even gens they're single family names, and Scipii isn't even grammatically correct, it should be Scipiones.
>>
>>628527
yes, and play Napoleon 3 mod
>>
File: 1614848636473.jpg (55 KB, 700x735)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>play as france
>everyone hates me
>kill most of my enemies
>the rest all turn very friendly towards me
spineless worms
>>
>>637626
>Medieval II or Rome I.
>the games with the shittiest pathfinding in the series and performance issues
>>
Howitzer or Artillerie á Pied?
>>
>often find the urge to play ETW
>first fight
>tell multiple units at once to move forward
>they criss-cross all over the battlefield completely at random
>uninstall
It's by far the most interesting setting Total War has ever visited, but it's completely unplayable.
>>
Play Med2 to start ignore the bait and the spastics replying to bait. Its not to hard and the game covers a vast time period meaning if there is probably something there for you. Don't get Rome 2 it's shit and redditors are required to tell you how good it "really" is atleast once a total war thread.
>>
>>638477
>Don't worry, the shit partfinding in Rome 1 is only a problem if you siege a city with the biggest walls, and that hardly ever happens in campaign!
>unless you're playing Barbarian Invasion where several cities start with these walls by default, that is. Then you're screwed.
>>
>>633792
It certainly wouldn't have been a smash. The flanks had held against French assaults and the cavalry engagements (That should have been a one-sided smash for France) were undecisive. Nappy then committed the bulk of his elite infantry against the bulk of the British elite infantry where the British held the superior ground. It wouldn't have been a humiliating rout like in reality, but it wouldn't have been the reverse either.

And the reason Wellington is regarded highly for that battle is more because of the choosing of the land which he had done far before the battle while he was still a diplomatic envoy between the conflicts. The position protected his forces from artillery (Not really needed as poor weather forced Nappy to leave his biggest guns behind) and the flanks had natural or man-made features that made them easier to secure.
>>
>>641497
>Don't get Rome 2 it's shit and redditors are required to tell you how good it "really" is atleast once a total war thread.
boomer bait. we had a whole thread about rome 2 btfoing your preconceived delusions about rome 2.
>>
>>638024
>>638001
>>637626

Brainlets who don't understand that rome is an arcade game. Play EB

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.