[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: FPA_cannons_2.png (394 KB, 700x375)
394 KB
394 KB PNG
I want ships exploding to bits in the vast nothingness of space, which game does space combat the best?
>>
>>627977
Homeworld 1 Classic and Homeworld Cataclysm
>>
>>627977
Homeworld collection is dirt cheap on steam. Grab it while you can
>>
File: choade spaceship.jpg (51 KB, 1280x720)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>627977
>>627977
Depends, how much autism do you want?
If you want "design your own fission reactors" level of autism, Children of a Dead Earth is the way to go.
>>
>>628019
as cool as the concept is I can't get over the aluminum foil aesthetic of the spaceships
>>
>>628027
aesthetic isn't worth the delta v.
>>
>>627977
starsector, but it's not really that strategic
>>
>>628019
This game isn't actually very fun
>>
Flashy spectacles, where combat is the focus:
>Empire at War
>Sins of a Solar Empire
>Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
>FTL
>Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2

And games where the combat is a thing but not the focus:
>Endless Space 2
>Master of Orion
>Galactic Civilizations
>Stellaris
>Aurora

The only game I know of that tries to do space combat ""realistically"" is probably Children of a Dead Earth.
>>
>>627977
Homeworld 2
>>
File: moo_combat.png (519 KB, 800x600)
519 KB
519 KB PNG
Can anyone recommend me any games with similar combat to Master of Orion 2?
>>
You could also try Sword of the Stars
>>
>>627977
Starsector is pretty good except for the fact it absolutely fails to capture the three-dimensional nature of space (being a 2d game).
>>
>>628401
Master of Orion I
>>
>>628422
how many dimensions are in space
>>
>>628401
Stars in Shadow is very similar. Also Dominus Galaxia, though it's more of a MOO 1 clone.
>>
>>628594
>>
Battlestar Galactica has pretty fun combat. It isn't real time though. You issue orders and then the combat proceeds for about 60 seconds before you can issue orders again. It's a lot like Combat Mission in that regard. Of course it's all railguns, nukes, and kinetic munitions so if you're looking for sweet ass lasers you're in the wrong place.
>>
>>628316
I like it, but it is very much an acquired taste.
I bounced off it the first time I tried it, only actually started enjoying it the second time around
>>
>>627977
homeworld is probably the best overall
sots still stands strong today but the strategic layer lets it down and you can easily get to a point where you just rape the ai although honestly it isnt as bad as homeworld where the ai is utterly braindead

sins of a solar empire is pretty good and you can have cool battles but the combat isnt on the same level
empire at war is cool star wars kino with the pros and cons of that
distant worlds can have huge wars but its a lot of work getting there and its only 2d with simple graphics
>>
>>628912
Is the Homeworld Remastered collection good, or should I just play the original?
>>
>>629054
The Homeworld 1 remaster is a downgrade because it run's on 2's engine which replaces simulated ballistics with dice rolls. It comes with the classic game though but it doesn't come with the standalone expansion, which can be grabbed on GOG. I couldn't get into 2 at all, it felt like a massive downgrade and the story sucked.
>>
>>629073
Didn't they patch in a ballistic system to both the remasters?
>>
>>627977
Homeworld 1, 2, cataclysm or their remastered editions. Wait for Homeworld 3. Nothing really comes close imho.
>>
>>628705
Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock, buddy.
>>
>>629107
>>628912

They did, yes, but the removal of fuel removes a small element of HW1.
>>
>>629329
>removal of fuel removes
Sounds a bit shit but not worth refunding over.
>>
>>629336
Only really affects the Kadeshi Gardens missions, and you get OG homeworld as well.
>>
>>629107
Yes but formations are still fucked and iirc the lasers still use the HW2 style dice rolls.
>>
File: download (28).jpg (302 KB, 1280x720)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
>>628331
Flashy spectacle where combat is not the focus:
> star ruler 2
Probably the closest to the retarded napoleonic LotGH battles too
>>
File: NWv19Sf.jpg (460 KB, 1920x1080)
460 KB
460 KB JPG
battlefleet gothic armada is the only answer imo
game is woefully underrated and evident by people only recommending homeworld
>>
>>632155
man I with the LOGH games got translated
>>
>>632422
Just learn nipponese.
>>
>>628433
Fucking kek
>>
>>627977
Sword of the Stars. Every projectile was simulated and kinetic weapons had actual physical impact, knocking around ships and throwing off their aim.
>>
File: 20161021223805_1.jpg (718 KB, 2560x1440)
718 KB
718 KB JPG
>>627977
Fractured Space
It didn't live very long and I miss it.
>>
File: 20161014201005_1.jpg (732 KB, 2560x1440)
732 KB
732 KB JPG
>>633654
>>
>>627977
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf57myMJKyg
>>
>>632155
I second Star Ruler 2. I just started playing it a few days ago and its pretty good. The best part about it is that the mods tools are build into the game so you can fuck around with whatever you want
>>
>>632155
What game is the screenshot?
>>635914
I don't care for the card system but it's an interesting game. One of the devs works for Riot now so the game won't ever be updated but they posted the source of the game on github.
>>
>>633654
Fractured space was great. I remember plating Ghost and having a ton of fun.
>>
>>627977
Honestly Homeworld is
>>
>>633654
Oh! I thought it was still alive? Is the player base that depleted?
>>
>>628027
aluminum cylinder is peak spaceship aesthetic though
>>
Anything that plays like a War Game like hoi3 or War in the Pacific? I really enjoy building fleets in those games and that style of gameplay.
>>
>>641476
Star Wars Rebellion is good.
>>
>>627977
nexus: jupiter incident
>>
>>641476
The LOGH games
>>
>>641476
>War Game like hoi3 or War in the Pacific?
Got into HOI at the same time I was watching LOGH. Dropped HOI because the ai is incapable of playing any of those games competently.
>>
Starsector!
>>
>>635956
I am pretty sure that screenshot is SR2 battle up close.
>>
>>641429
Your primitive tubes will again be sundered in a thousand red skies by the might of our spheres

rematch soon
>>
File: hiver vs tarka sots2.png (1.84 MB, 2309x1415)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB PNG
>>627977
Sword of the stars and, to a tragic extent, it's sequel.
It's somewhat like Total War in space. Grand strategy 4x game where you design and build your own ships, colonize planets, etc. but with realtime tactical fleet combat. The ship customization is extensive and deeply integrated into the game's strategic-level mechanics (eg. research, production) so you have a huge amount of freedom to customize your fleets and how they perform in combat. The game's tactical combat has a tonne of interesting features--every projectile is simulated and mass drivers actually impart force to their target, knocking ships off course, beam weapons can target specific hardpoints to disable specific weapon systems like point defense for heavier missiles or torpedoes to get through, etc. Ironically. I think it does real time space combat much better than a lot of modern games dedicated to it, like Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2. Probably only surpassed by the true kings of the genre like Nexus:TJI

The sequel massively expands on the depth of the tactical combat and has unequivocally the best real time space combat in the industry, but sadly the game was sabotaged by paradox and released in an unfinished state. The real time combat is basically the only part of the game that works and the turn based 4x aspects are a dumpster fire. As good as the combat is, I can only in good conscience recommend it if you're willing to extensively mod the game to bandaid fix its strategic AI and tolerate the janky, buggy, half-baked strategic map and terrible UI just to get to those sweet, sweet battles. I kind of wish the game had some sort of skirmish mod to just let you skip straight to the battles but sadly the modding community has all but dried up at this point for obvious reasons.
>>
>>632403
It's naval combat, has nothing to do with space except the textures.
>>
>>641955
>Nexus:TJI
I miss it. I'll try Sword of the Stars soon, thanks Anon! I'm not used to turnbased games so I hope that I can get into it. Which faction would you suggest?
>>
>>642324
The designated beginner faction is the Tarka. They're the milquetoast alien empire. Their drive system is the straightforward point A to point B with no caveats or special logistical concerns to manage and their ships are above-average and easy to manage. All of their firepower is pointed forward in overlapping firing arcs so you just make sure you don't get flanked and you'll perform well. They also favour ballistic tech, which is the simplest and easiest tech tree to approach for a new player since the base tech is good until endgame and everything on the tree are just sidegrades for specialized roles.

Other factions largely complicate the strategic aspect of the game with more complex drive systems or by having ships that are weaker in combat and rely on strategic factors to compete, like developing a tech advantage or using things like stealth. If you find the Tarka boring, or finish a campaign and want to branch out, Humans arguably have the most interesting (but beginner-unfriendly) playstyle. They move the fastest but are confined to randomly generated FTL lines between stars, have below-average ships and no tech preference, so every campaign is very rng and their playstyle varies a lot by what tools you end up with. Liir and Morrigi (DLC) are the tech races that start weak and rely on a tech lead to match others in combat. Both of their drives amount to "Tarka's but slower" until lategame where they're "Tarka's but faster". And Hivers are the defensive faction that tends to be most people's favourite but are really counterintuitive for a first time player. They move at slower than light speeds (taking 10+ turns to travel between stars) but connect them with stargates to allow instant travel thereafter.

Zuul are the other DLC faction but I wouldn't recommend them as they're the designated aggro faction, and being super aggressive against the AI will just tend to mean your campaign is basically over before it really takes off.
>>
>>642368
Thank you very much, Anon! I screenshot your post in case my net dies again and will try playing it this weekend!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.