[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 141 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: FPA_cannons_2.png (394 KB, 700x375)
394 KB
394 KB PNG
I want ships exploding to bits in the vast nothingness of space, which game does space combat the best?
>>
>>627977
Homeworld 1 Classic and Homeworld Cataclysm
>>
>>627977
Homeworld collection is dirt cheap on steam. Grab it while you can
>>
File: choade spaceship.jpg (51 KB, 1280x720)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>627977
>>627977
Depends, how much autism do you want?
If you want "design your own fission reactors" level of autism, Children of a Dead Earth is the way to go.
>>
>>628019
as cool as the concept is I can't get over the aluminum foil aesthetic of the spaceships
>>
>>628027
aesthetic isn't worth the delta v.
>>
>>627977
starsector, but it's not really that strategic
>>
>>628019
This game isn't actually very fun
>>
Flashy spectacles, where combat is the focus:
>Empire at War
>Sins of a Solar Empire
>Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
>FTL
>Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2

And games where the combat is a thing but not the focus:
>Endless Space 2
>Master of Orion
>Galactic Civilizations
>Stellaris
>Aurora

The only game I know of that tries to do space combat ""realistically"" is probably Children of a Dead Earth.
>>
>>627977
Homeworld 2
>>
File: moo_combat.png (519 KB, 800x600)
519 KB
519 KB PNG
Can anyone recommend me any games with similar combat to Master of Orion 2?
>>
You could also try Sword of the Stars
>>
>>627977
Starsector is pretty good except for the fact it absolutely fails to capture the three-dimensional nature of space (being a 2d game).
>>
>>628401
Master of Orion I
>>
>>628422
how many dimensions are in space
>>
>>628401
Stars in Shadow is very similar. Also Dominus Galaxia, though it's more of a MOO 1 clone.
>>
>>628594
>>
Battlestar Galactica has pretty fun combat. It isn't real time though. You issue orders and then the combat proceeds for about 60 seconds before you can issue orders again. It's a lot like Combat Mission in that regard. Of course it's all railguns, nukes, and kinetic munitions so if you're looking for sweet ass lasers you're in the wrong place.
>>
>>628316
I like it, but it is very much an acquired taste.
I bounced off it the first time I tried it, only actually started enjoying it the second time around
>>
>>627977
homeworld is probably the best overall
sots still stands strong today but the strategic layer lets it down and you can easily get to a point where you just rape the ai although honestly it isnt as bad as homeworld where the ai is utterly braindead

sins of a solar empire is pretty good and you can have cool battles but the combat isnt on the same level
empire at war is cool star wars kino with the pros and cons of that
distant worlds can have huge wars but its a lot of work getting there and its only 2d with simple graphics
>>
>>628912
Is the Homeworld Remastered collection good, or should I just play the original?
>>
>>629054
The Homeworld 1 remaster is a downgrade because it run's on 2's engine which replaces simulated ballistics with dice rolls. It comes with the classic game though but it doesn't come with the standalone expansion, which can be grabbed on GOG. I couldn't get into 2 at all, it felt like a massive downgrade and the story sucked.
>>
>>629073
Didn't they patch in a ballistic system to both the remasters?
>>
>>627977
Homeworld 1, 2, cataclysm or their remastered editions. Wait for Homeworld 3. Nothing really comes close imho.
>>
>>628705
Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock, buddy.
>>
>>629107
>>628912

They did, yes, but the removal of fuel removes a small element of HW1.
>>
>>629329
>removal of fuel removes
Sounds a bit shit but not worth refunding over.
>>
>>629336
Only really affects the Kadeshi Gardens missions, and you get OG homeworld as well.
>>
>>629107
Yes but formations are still fucked and iirc the lasers still use the HW2 style dice rolls.
>>
File: download (28).jpg (302 KB, 1280x720)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
>>628331
Flashy spectacle where combat is not the focus:
> star ruler 2
Probably the closest to the retarded napoleonic LotGH battles too
>>
File: NWv19Sf.jpg (460 KB, 1920x1080)
460 KB
460 KB JPG
battlefleet gothic armada is the only answer imo
game is woefully underrated and evident by people only recommending homeworld
>>
>>632155
man I with the LOGH games got translated
>>
>>632422
Just learn nipponese.
>>
>>628433
Fucking kek
>>
>>627977
Sword of the Stars. Every projectile was simulated and kinetic weapons had actual physical impact, knocking around ships and throwing off their aim.
>>
File: 20161021223805_1.jpg (718 KB, 2560x1440)
718 KB
718 KB JPG
>>627977
Fractured Space
It didn't live very long and I miss it.
>>
File: 20161014201005_1.jpg (732 KB, 2560x1440)
732 KB
732 KB JPG
>>633654
>>
>>627977
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf57myMJKyg
>>
>>632155
I second Star Ruler 2. I just started playing it a few days ago and its pretty good. The best part about it is that the mods tools are build into the game so you can fuck around with whatever you want
>>
>>632155
What game is the screenshot?
>>635914
I don't care for the card system but it's an interesting game. One of the devs works for Riot now so the game won't ever be updated but they posted the source of the game on github.
>>
>>633654
Fractured space was great. I remember plating Ghost and having a ton of fun.
>>
>>627977
Honestly Homeworld is
>>
>>633654
Oh! I thought it was still alive? Is the player base that depleted?
>>
>>628027
aluminum cylinder is peak spaceship aesthetic though
>>
Anything that plays like a War Game like hoi3 or War in the Pacific? I really enjoy building fleets in those games and that style of gameplay.
>>
>>641476
Star Wars Rebellion is good.
>>
>>627977
nexus: jupiter incident
>>
>>641476
The LOGH games
>>
>>641476
>War Game like hoi3 or War in the Pacific?
Got into HOI at the same time I was watching LOGH. Dropped HOI because the ai is incapable of playing any of those games competently.
>>
Starsector!
>>
>>635956
I am pretty sure that screenshot is SR2 battle up close.
>>
>>641429
Your primitive tubes will again be sundered in a thousand red skies by the might of our spheres

rematch soon
>>
File: hiver vs tarka sots2.png (1.84 MB, 2309x1415)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB PNG
>>627977
Sword of the stars and, to a tragic extent, it's sequel.
It's somewhat like Total War in space. Grand strategy 4x game where you design and build your own ships, colonize planets, etc. but with realtime tactical fleet combat. The ship customization is extensive and deeply integrated into the game's strategic-level mechanics (eg. research, production) so you have a huge amount of freedom to customize your fleets and how they perform in combat. The game's tactical combat has a tonne of interesting features--every projectile is simulated and mass drivers actually impart force to their target, knocking ships off course, beam weapons can target specific hardpoints to disable specific weapon systems like point defense for heavier missiles or torpedoes to get through, etc. Ironically. I think it does real time space combat much better than a lot of modern games dedicated to it, like Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2. Probably only surpassed by the true kings of the genre like Nexus:TJI

The sequel massively expands on the depth of the tactical combat and has unequivocally the best real time space combat in the industry, but sadly the game was sabotaged by paradox and released in an unfinished state. The real time combat is basically the only part of the game that works and the turn based 4x aspects are a dumpster fire. As good as the combat is, I can only in good conscience recommend it if you're willing to extensively mod the game to bandaid fix its strategic AI and tolerate the janky, buggy, half-baked strategic map and terrible UI just to get to those sweet, sweet battles. I kind of wish the game had some sort of skirmish mod to just let you skip straight to the battles but sadly the modding community has all but dried up at this point for obvious reasons.
>>
>>632403
It's naval combat, has nothing to do with space except the textures.
>>
>>641955
>Nexus:TJI
I miss it. I'll try Sword of the Stars soon, thanks Anon! I'm not used to turnbased games so I hope that I can get into it. Which faction would you suggest?
>>
>>642324
The designated beginner faction is the Tarka. They're the milquetoast alien empire. Their drive system is the straightforward point A to point B with no caveats or special logistical concerns to manage and their ships are above-average and easy to manage. All of their firepower is pointed forward in overlapping firing arcs so you just make sure you don't get flanked and you'll perform well. They also favour ballistic tech, which is the simplest and easiest tech tree to approach for a new player since the base tech is good until endgame and everything on the tree are just sidegrades for specialized roles.

Other factions largely complicate the strategic aspect of the game with more complex drive systems or by having ships that are weaker in combat and rely on strategic factors to compete, like developing a tech advantage or using things like stealth. If you find the Tarka boring, or finish a campaign and want to branch out, Humans arguably have the most interesting (but beginner-unfriendly) playstyle. They move the fastest but are confined to randomly generated FTL lines between stars, have below-average ships and no tech preference, so every campaign is very rng and their playstyle varies a lot by what tools you end up with. Liir and Morrigi (DLC) are the tech races that start weak and rely on a tech lead to match others in combat. Both of their drives amount to "Tarka's but slower" until lategame where they're "Tarka's but faster". And Hivers are the defensive faction that tends to be most people's favourite but are really counterintuitive for a first time player. They move at slower than light speeds (taking 10+ turns to travel between stars) but connect them with stargates to allow instant travel thereafter.

Zuul are the other DLC faction but I wouldn't recommend them as they're the designated aggro faction, and being super aggressive against the AI will just tend to mean your campaign is basically over before it really takes off.
>>
>>642368
Thank you very much, Anon! I screenshot your post in case my net dies again and will try playing it this weekend!
>>
>>642400
To expand more on Morrigy, their fleet speed is a bit arcane and depends not only on drive, but also:
How many ships -- 10 max per ship size , (20 with top engine technology), the more x10 ship sizes the merrier.
Is there a special speedboost ship.
How big are your ships (fleet made fully of smallest ship class <<<< fleet of medium)
Combine all that with the fact that Morrigy get reduced planet income, expensive, fragile ships, but higher trade profit, and yeah it's not a very beginner friendly faction. Cruisers do look cool.
Liir, have the distinction of being the only faction that utilizes non-newton movement in battle. i.e. they don't need to fight inertia during turns since technically they don't "move" anywhere.
Overall with different tech RNG, different drives, weapon loadouts, "unique factions" really are unique.
>>
>>628594
Atleast 4, but you really only need to focus on 3.
>>
>>628331
>Endless Space 2
I like this game, but I wish it treated spaceships more like ships. You can mess around with ships in the span of a single turn. But in real life ships are a huge investment both in terms of R&D and construction. I'd love to have a game where you actually need to think about the kind of ships you need to build and make lasting decisions.
>>
>>642520
Yes but their voices are insufferable and they have the worst combat bgm in the game.
>>
>>642594
As far as needing to think about building ships, Aurora 4x
in terms of being an actual game though it's shi-
>>
>>642594
Distant Worlds
>>
File: 6b6[1].jpg (79 KB, 772x525)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>632468
>>
>>632403
Its focus is the worst part of one of the most overrated scifi settings. Yaaaaawwn.
>>
>>641863
that black thing looks like a lighthugger
>>
>>641955
>>642368
>>642520
God, SotS was so kino. 2 could have been the greatest space strategy game ever made if paradox didn't fuck it up.
>>
File: siloship.png (542 KB, 1398x1080)
542 KB
542 KB PNG
>>641863
just as the skies of our once-Paradise had scorched by the light of nuclear fire and transformed into a hell of ash and soot, so too shall your worlds fall and crumble under the might of our bombs
>>
>>644810
>>641955

>Anti-Paradox shilling.

Paradox are not a cartoon evil company they would not sabotage a game for no reason the fact is that the game was never ready because the developers could not make it and do what they wanted all at once they were not prepared and inexperienced they should have planned for DLCs instead of trying to do it all for launch.
>>
>>644990
>pro paradox shilling
>they should have planned for DLC
Kill yourself, Jewhan Anderstein.
>>
>>644936
Question: is the creator of ChODE a cuck?
>>
>>644996
A Slav or maybe Hungarian I think?
>>
>>644996
never seen a political opinion from him
>>
>>644810
If the autist that took over the community bugfix patch ever actually updates it, it still could be.
As far as I remember, several different bugfix projects were combined into one but eventually got taken over by someone that decided it would be a side-project to their asinine roleplay mod and its been dead in the water ever since. Which is a shame since it mostly fixed the AI and a bunch of other basic issues. Another few updates and the strategic map could almost be considered playable.
>>
>>644996
dunno his politics but the science blog about the game is kino. honorary chad material imo
>>
>>627984
This
>>
Sins of a Solar Empire is basically nothing but space combat. It even has a cinematic mode where you can zoom in and hide the HUD and just watch ships go at it.
>>
>>645785
It's also kinda shit. It doesn't really simulate space battles well at all. It's just standard RTS pewpew overloaded with hotkeyed active abilities, where success is more about just massing a bigger blob and right clicking than about actually controlling or managing spaceships in combat.
>>
Anyone see if there were any new space combat games during the Steam Next Fest aside from that shameless 3D FTL rip-off?
>>
>>646311
>aside from that shameless 3D FTL rip-off?
What game would that be?
>>
>>646439
Trigon: Space Story. Seriously, check it out. I mean check it out in the sense that it's 3D FTL, not check it out in the sense that you should buy it when its released.
>>
>>645174
Is that the Save our Sots mod? I'm going to keep an eye on it.
>>
>>644999
>>645009
>>645501
Honestly the only thing cucky about the game is that the player faction are space muslims, making it kinda a revenge fantasy considering the enemy are space russo-americans
then again, i'm pretty sure it's just an excuse plot to justify throwing shiny spaceships at each other
>>
>>628316
it's tons of fun, if you're into the kind of game it is.

The kind of game it is is a spaceship designer and orbital maneuver simulator. The actual engagements take place at hundreds to thousands of km and you're just there for the show.
>>
>>628019
the only game with space combat in it

Has anybody done a more futuristic game where the ships have continuous thrust drives (i.e. torchships or at least orions?)
>>
>>646754
Terra Invicta, but it isn't out yet
You can unironically dab on the alien invaders with Orion Drives and nuclear torpedoes
unfortunately, no kasaba-howitzers
>>
File: Spoiler Image (175 KB, 1365x915)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>646729
and it turns out you aren't the good guys in the end.
>>
>>646550
Yes. It's an amalgam of a bunch of independent mod projects ranging from general community bugfix patches to heavy duty AI fixes, with a lot of original fixes as well. It's a stone's throw away from making the AI able to actually use the FreeLC race and was in the process of fixing diplomacy when it got abandoned.
>>
File: C4GD7dDUYAE83aD.jpg (180 KB, 1200x646)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>647218
absolute kino
>>
>>642594
Not spess but Rule the Waves 1 or 2 are what you'd be looking for. Really hits home the saying about going to war with the army you have. And how dreadnought battleships would come out of the dockyard already hopelessly obsolete.
>>
Star Trek: Starfleet Command is available from GOG or Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/364820/Star_Trek_Starfleet_Command_Gold_Edition/
https://www.gog.com/game/star_trek_starfleet_command_gold_edition

Star Trek: Starfleet Command 2 - Community Edition
http://www.dynaverse.net/market/2-star-trek-starfleet-command-2-community-edition.html
>>
>>628422
The z-axis is a carefully controlled technology accessible only by phase ships.
>>
File: s_01.jpg (307 KB, 1920x1080)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
>>628659
>Stars in Shadow
Looks cool. Thanks anon!
>>
>>650032
Good games
>>
>>644810
>>641955
This >>644990
It's not Paradox that was the problem, it's the shitty devs.
>>
>>650032
nice
>>
>>655107
Anon, you're replying to a bait post that's saying "hurr they should have adopted the scummy paradox DLC model instead of making a proper game"
>>
>>628019
I am literally too retarded to get past the "Bring the admiral back to mars" mission.
pls help
>>
>>655786
Oh yeah it's a pain, the map being the whole Solar System means they run into precision issues, which is compounded by you having to intercept a target as small as Deimos (or Phobos? It's been a while). Does the game use double precision for it's positioning system?

Anyway I'm pretty sure the way to go is to building a big courier ship with high exhaust-velocity thrusters and lots of fuel. Thermis(?) is tiny so you shouldn't need too much thrust, focus on delta-v and that'll let you use faster, more fuel-expensive trajectories. It's been a while though, so I might be wrong
>>
>>655754
Just because it is bait doesn't make it untrue.
>>
>>655950
Mhmm yes good £290 of DLC
>>
>>628401
Interstellar Space: Genesis
>>
>>644040
Aurora is... it's just something else. I've never actually enjoyed it yet I'm drawn to it. You never quite grip the passage of time, but it's interesting. Possibly the only true grognard game mentioned in this thread.
>>
>>641863
Shit like this fucking terrifies me.
Ayys have had literal Star Wars tech since the 1500's and everybody thinks that the 2004 Nimitz footage is the extent of their tech, when this shit proves that they're gaming with EVE online sized vessels.
We're either fucked if they invade, or blessed if they just wanna be friends and give hugs.
>>
File: 1529002078438.jpg (138 KB, 1283x1468)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
Aside from Avorion and Battlefleet Gothic what games let me ram enemies with spaceships? Why bother with the logistics of loading ammo and taking aim when I can break your punny ship with my own
>>
>>641955
Is there any way we could do something to get a remake made? Like pressure a company/dev? Anything
>>
>>657280
Anon, it is shit. It tries to be a 4x but forces you to micromanage every single fucking freighter in your empire instead of allowing AI control
How hard would it be to code a "pick up minerals then return to marked world using jump drive" order?
>>
>>657523
The devs held a crowdfunding campaign for a sots sequel/remake a few years back but fell short of their target. There just isn't enough of a market left for that particular niche of game to make it easy to fund.

You're better off trying to mod out the issues yourself (or paying someone with the skills to do it for you), or just following the devs on twitter and hoping their next crowdfunding campaign works. They've basically been making nothing but mobile shovelware and sots-themed board games since the disaster basically sank their company.
>>
File: sorrowfulblackman.png (622 KB, 689x915)
622 KB
622 KB PNG
>>657802
That's so depressing. Maybe they could appeal to that Aussie who revived Microprose.
>>
>>657622
Like I said: It's something different and I've never enjoyed it, but every year I have to fire it up and play for a while.
>>
>>658254
It could be so much better if Steve wasn't a turbosperg who hates modders and cared about whether or not his game is an enjoyable experience to play.
>"It's MY game that I'm only SHARING with the rest of you"
>threatens to take down the game for downloading and reserve it for his circlejerk of friends only when someone makes a tiny mod adjusting the window size of the game
>>
>>658254
bruh just start it up, read a guide if you are particularly slow and you will realize that the game is shallow as fuck. It's one of these "it looks like an excel sheet so it must be complex" kusoges.
>>
File: 1580278419084.jpg (497 KB, 1600x941)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
>>641765
>>641476
Give me a couple of years, that's the kind of game I want to make. I think a game that merges interstellar exploration and colonization with grand strategy, chain of command, logistics, manufacturing, procurement, economy, and politics - along with a decent AI - would be something special.
>>
>>661023
Distant Worlds but LOTGH?
>>
>>661069
>exploration
>dw
I mean, its there but it doesn't feel particularly interesting. Just another dot in the map.
>>
>>661092
That's fair, Anon. What kind of exploration do you want? Do you want something like Stellaris with quests and options to select during it? Or something else?
>>
>>627977
i feel like space battles never take place in 3 dimensional space. its always on a flat plane, it feels absolutely retarded.
>>
>>661292
Homeworld
Nexus The Jupiter Incident
Even star trek armada has a z level.
>>
>Ctrl+f freelancer
>no results
plebs, all of you.
>>
>>661868
Go finish Star Citizen, Chris.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>661868
That's really stretching the definition of "Strategy" anon. Freelancer was great fore the time, there is better stuff out nowadays
>>627977
Falling Frontier is not out yet, but from the gameplay footage shown it looks amazing in its space battles. The devs are apparently big fans of The Expanse, which prided itself in its realistic space battles and explosions so I expect good things from the game.
https://youtu.be/_6dvuZc8cAE?t=258
>>
>>632403
>Space is a flat plane
>>
File: 1605787315373.jpg (136 KB, 519x800)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>641863
>>1561 celestial phenomenon over Nuremberg
>Actually a scifi-like space/air battle told by medieval people
>>1566 celestial phenomenon over Basel
>Another, this one years later, without shapes other than spheres
>>The Basel pamphlet of 1566 is not the only one of its kind. In the 15th and 16th centuries, many leaflets wrote of "miracles" and "sky spectacles"
>>
>>627977
Nexus:The Jupiter incident is really fucking good.
I'm still sad I never knew about the kickstarter for a sequel
>>
>>661897
Falling Frontier's videos have been cool if nothing else. I'm currently waiting for a bunch of strategy games to release as well. Falling Frontier, Distant Worlds 2, Homeworld 3, maybe Terra Invicta, Age of Space, and Stellar Warfare.
>>662174
I played Nexus a lot back during the CRT era and it was fun although a bit buggy. If I remember correctly, the kickstarter for Nexus 2 kind of didn't have much info or they didn't update it beyond the initial post.
>>
>>662333
Terra Invicta is sorta based but the devs are Am*ricans and it really shows
>>
>>662484
In what way? Is the gameplay dumbed down to shit?
>>
>>661292
There are a few reasons for it.
Difficulty actually making controls that allow you to issue commands in 3d space. You see this with Nexus:TJI. You can't just right click to move when there's a depth to the plan you can't perceive from every perspective.

And the second issue is making it actually matter. If you take a 2d space game and just add a 3rd dimension, it doesn't change anything. Ships have to be designed to fight in 3 dimensions, which means developers have to put a lot of thought into things like turret firing arcs and weapon coverage.
>>
>>662589
He's probably talking about woke politics but that isn't unique to Americans.
>>
>>633814
Unironically this.
>>
>>644990
>they should have planned for DLCs
If anyone wonders why gaming died in 07, just think of this anon
>>
>>627977
>>661023
>>661069
imagine a lotgh /vst/ game where the emphasis is on politics where the war is an avenue to gain political power. anytime your side gets too ahead, reactionary forces push back to equilibrium. that is until you manage to overcome the opposition both within your faction and the enemy. and even then, youd have internal politics, rebels, and the earth cult to worry about. god, what id do for a true lotgh game and not just generic space game thats lotgh themed.
>>
>>661069
>>663680
I like some of the LotGH stuff but not enough to make a game set in its universe.
My general idea is probably going to start somewhere in the mid/late 2000s or early 2100s and will run on relatively hard sci-fi concepts: for at least the first few hundred years there's none of the usual stuff like FTL, energy shields, or massless drives. Running successful colonies on other planets or moons will be a challenge, and balancing various political factions, cultural groups, and economies within Earth and the colonies will be a focal point of the early game, and surface or interplanetary war is always a looming threat to deal with depending on the demands of your various pops and factions.

I'd want the scope of the game to grow, step by step, as technology progresses and the leading faction(s) of the solar system are able to afford to build interstellar probes, then finally long-haul colony ships. You might run into alien civilizations or strange anomalies, you might see all your colonies go up in flames and fizzle out, or you might just stand a chance at spreading humanity to tens, hundreds, even millions of stars. It's a big galaxy out there, and I really want to enforce the principle of "anything can happen", on both an astronomical span and timescale.

Of course, this is probably a pipe dream and the closest I'll probably come is an off-brand Stellaris: Autism Edition with terrible graphics.
>>
>>664084
Anon, what the fuck are you doing? Why are you pulling concepts from my brain?
>>
>>664084
so basically Aurora 4x except actually a game?
>>
>>664096
Dunno, but I've been binging Babylon 5 lately and also came across a review of All Tomorrows that made me wonder about how humanity might evolve as it becomes a spacefaring species, particularly if it ever were to come into contact with other intelligent lifeforms.

>>664124
Never heard of this before. At a glance it looks similar to Rule the Waves, I might have to give it a shot.
>>
>>664135
>Never heard of this before. At a glance it looks similar to Rule the Waves, I might have to give it a shot.
its pretty similar, yeah. id say its most similar to distant worlds universe but with more RtW-level spreadsheets and a very interesting alternative approach to sci-fi thats way less cliche. for example, mineral transportation is often done with mass drivers that just fling rocks at orbital speeds to a counterpart installation capable of safely receiving the shipments. also, its not a ftl warp drive circlejerk like most sci-fi. very interesting game, just very hard to get into.
>>
>>664135
>>664158
speaking of, play pre-warp distant worlds universe if you havent already. absolutely amazing experience.
>>
>>664158
Aurora is held back by the fact its creator sees it as an autistic roleplaying tool and not a game.
Hence: tedium. Haha, have fun manually upgrading hundreds of troop and vehicle types and setting up trade routes manually also!
>>
>>664496
exactly. its interesting, but its not really a game
>>
File: 1526965863724.jpg (18 KB, 437x431)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>664500
i wish
it was
a game
>>
>>644507
t. faggot
>>
>>633814
I'd love a modern remake of this!
>>
>>664084
I like games where the ships flip around to slow down, like Star Ruler 1 or The Expanse.
>>664135
Babylon 5 is good! It's a shame all the Babylon 5 mods for RTS are dead.
>>
>>627977
Battlegroup VR
>>
>>665602
I've always wanted a grand strategy Babylon 5 game desu.
>>
>>665785
There's apparently a CIV4 mod.
>>
>>627977
Honestly?
None. We don't know how space combat will work until we get there in 300 to 500 years
>>
Any game with combat similar to BFG? Focus on a smaller number of ships, manouvering and the like. I enjoy having to move around to line up the firing arcs, punishing enemies for showing a weaker flank or unleashing a torpedo volley in their side.
>>
>>663626
To be fair wanting to postpone release until you managed the perfet way to put everything you want into the gmae is why a lot of games (or mods on a smaller scale) never get out of development hell. At some point you have to focus your efforts, push out a working game and then add stuff later. Exp packs have always been a part of games in the past for this reason.
>>
>>666523
ESL stop posting
>>
>>666527
Get back after you learn to read and can manage an argument, or anything to actually say.
>>
File: 1600384209599.png (154 KB, 498x373)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
>>666542
>>
File: 20190630020213_1.jpg (159 KB, 1920x1080)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>627977
Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 is fun but idk if it's the best space strategy.
>>
>>666515
>>665604
>>
>>641712
this
>>
File: Exelion_and_Fleet.jpg (45 KB, 500x313)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
What are some key features you would want in a 4X space game?
>>
>ywn get to experience space combat in a battle cruiser with rail guns, missiles, and advanced AI
>ywn get to have a relationship with a qt space marine
>ywn get to die among the stars when a hull breach depressurizes your ship and sucks out all the O2
It's not fair bros.
>>
File: gsb.jpg (173 KB, 1200x750)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>627977
gratuitous space battles
>>
>>669911
Internal politics as well as external
>>
>>650032
God I wish those games would run reliably on my system. I loved the SFC3 Dominion War mod.
>>
>>669911
Depends.
If it's grand strategy autism simulator then I want to micromanage domestic politics and trade down to the most minute level. I don't want to just throw colony ships at a planet and its mine now, but actually manage logistics, supply lines etc. to colonize new worlds and support their populations. Maximum autism.

If it's a game with real time space battles a la sots, then I'd prefer if it didn't waste my time with half-baked grand strategy elements that just get in the way of combat. Keep the strategic layer simple and streamlined and focus on elements of fleet customization, management and support logistics. Basically, make the game a fleet management sim rather than a 4x game, and use the strategic layer to facilitate strategic level fleet movement/support/customization instead of a bunch of ancillary population management aspects that you're not really there for. Every decision in the strategic layer should have a tangible impact in real-time combat.
>>
>>669976
>not suiting up and depressurising the ship before combat
Remember your drills anon
>>
File: spehs autismo.png (3.42 MB, 1360x1688)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB PNG
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>671008
also FUCK but season 5 of the expanse was terrible
>>
>>671008
Starsector is a bit like this.
>>
>>672986
it's also in the image, and it's super unfinished. It's alright, but it's not IT, you know.
>>
>>664496
>Haha, have fun manually upgrading hundreds of troop and vehicle types and setting up trade routes manually also!
yes, I will. If I didn't I wouldn't play it.
>>
>>670263
Maybe a WinXP virtual machine would help
>>
>>673906
May I recommend Ritalin, anon?
>>
>>671008
how the fuck are you gonna mix all this somehow? coade and homeworld and elite dangerous and ftl? just what kind of fucking gameplay do you want this game to have?

also fuck you, coade aesthetic is based
>>
>>661897
My only problem is that this game should release this year, but we still not have seen extra promotional trailers.
I suspect a massive redrawing of development timelines.
Mainly because the game looks ambitious as FUCK.
>>
>>671011
I already got filtered by the 1st season

cant watch a show where everyone is extremely unlikable
>>
>>674356
Idea guys don't need to think, that is the part of devs. Idea guy just ideas.
>>
>>663680
>imagine a lotgh /vst/ game
So Stellar Monarch?
>>
>>628331
>Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2
One is better. Two is shite.
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 263x192)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>627977
Is there a guide for Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion that isn't bloated and boring as fuck? I got it for the Halo mod and the covenant are absolute rapists with all their ships being significantly stronger than anything I can make and can replenish their losses way faster since they expand incredibly fast. Also playing on a map with flood is just fucking suicide.
>>
>>676578
>"You face opponents who have never known defeat, who laugh in alien tongues at your efforts to survive."
>>
>>676578
>the covenant are absolute rapists with all their ships being significantly stronger than anything I can make and can replenish their losses way faster
you're just getting the normal UNSC experience and not the 343 experience
>>
>>676578
Just about soase in general, but is the Mass Effect mod playable/any good?
>>
>>676888
Stopped at reach, does the UNSC start being wanked or something in later games?
>>
I'd really like a classic Space Sim built around the combat of Nexus: TJI.
>>
>>676896
Reapers bullied the heck out of me.
>>
>>661897
>2D plane in space
>ships can simply pass over and under obstacles and ships
about fucking time. Probably a better solution to "boats in space" than actually modeling a z axis a la Homeworld or BG Deadlocked. Which looks cool in action but gums things up without actually adding that much to gampelay.

Game looks hot.
>>
File: Luddic_path.png (58 KB, 410x256)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>657448
Starsector, just make sure you join the best faction:
> ate infidels
> ate the govnment
> ate corporate wankas
> ate [REDACTED] (not racis just dont like em)
> luv me mates on me raids
> luv Ludd (praise Him ya poofta)
> luv me unstable engine
> les go Ludd les go ram some!
Simple as.
>>
>>676578
Do NOT start playing SoaSE with the Halo Mod. It is completely different from the base game and in my opinion too obsessed with being lore accurate. Start with the base game. It's actually pretty foolproof. The Halo mod exists to fuck your ass.
>>
>>627977
space combat is impossible,its like thinking about submarines fighting other submarines
>>
problem with starsector is once you realize the gimmicks to its combat the entire thing is massively immersion breaking and frustrating as you just fly around in a little crappy ship obliterating everything while the dumb ai runs away and serves only as a distraction for you.
>>
>>676578
>>685721
This. The base game is amazing, play it first! I tried the Halo mod multiple times but it really is strange like Anon said.
>>
File: taicorv.webm (2.95 MB, 1280x720)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
Will we ever get this level of flight AI again?
>>
File: 1365519896851.jpg (798 KB, 1738x1245)
798 KB
798 KB JPG
>>685966
space sub combat is kino as fuck
>>
>>686014
>This is a game from 2000
Never
Just like with technical detail of Silent Storm, the fluoride in water made people too dumb to develop this stuff again.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (589 KB, 587x400)
589 KB
589 KB PNG
>>627977
these might be too old school but the most fun i had in space combat was

>starlancer
>descent: freespace 1 and 2
>freelancer
>>
>>674356
Guees how I know you've never played any of these.
It's realy not that hard to imagine if you give it 2 seconds of 2 braincells worth of processing power anon, I believe in you.
You have a spaceship and fly system to system elite style, you hire some mercs on a station who can follow you around and listen to your commands, you do quests, make money,
get better ships for yourself and your crew, fight a spacestation and take it over either on own or for a faction of your choice, yada yada.
Basically elite but instead of focusing on on being space fedex it focuses on combat.
Basically warband but take the medieval shit and replace it with space opera shit.
Hell starsector has already done it but in 2d and lacking content.
>>
>>686014
they did all these in c.
>>
File: turcorv.webm (2.97 MB, 1280x720)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB WEBM
>>686443
I've also read somewhere that they manually wrote multiple hundreds of small flight maneuvers the ships can choose from during fights.
>>
>>686471
idk about that detail but the c code for homeworld is open. All these .c and .h files brings back memories.
https://github.com/aheadley/homeworld
>>
File: Dh9Et-jU0AArva2.jpg (409 KB, 2472x1798)
409 KB
409 KB JPG
>>686218
I've played Children of a Dead Earth, FTL, Mass Effect, Homeworld, and bits of Mount & Blade and Starsector at least.

Children of a Dead Earth uses n-body physics to simulate battles, and battles are about slow orbital maneuvering and constant back and forth in-between intercepts. It's slow and most of your time is spent funding the trajectories, and it's focused on ship vs ship tactics as well as a sandbox of designing parts of your ship, the designs of your ship, and the the composition of your fleet.

FTL is real-time ship vs ship tactics roguelike, but movement and positioning isn't considered important. It's about the composition of your ship, about the weapons and equipment you have, about managing encounters and scavenge materials while running away from the tide of the rebellion and survive.

Mass Effect is a space opera RPG, its the story of the galaxy as a whole, fighting against a great force from beyond the darkness with an actor at the very center of it all. It has varied gameplay, but it is focused on your character, and your party members, and perhaps even story choices as well.

Homeworld is a real time strategy game, the combat is about fleetwide movement within three dimensions, gathering resources and building more ships on the fly during each mission.

Mount & Blade has a mix of grand strategy, real-time tactics and RPG, though it is more freeform than Mass Effect, reminiscent of total war but with fewer numbers and with a first-person control of your character.

Starsector is a grand strategy game where you start small with your own ship and end up controlling your own faction as you juggle through the landscape of galactic politics and economy.

They're wildly different games, they play differently and focus on different things. I ask this because I want to know what sort of game do you exactly want to have? If you want to make a game, you should at least focus on what you want instead of trying to mix everything randomly.
>>
I wish there was a game that had quite simplistic space combat like Empire at War, but at a larger scale and without space stations. Sort of like a Total War land battle but in space.
>>
>>687342
BFG2?
>>
I like Children of a Dead Earth, it's fun.
>>
>>687588
I played the first one a long time ago and didn't like it. Is the BFG2 better than its predecessor?
>>
File: C_LMCkjUQAAZwyz.jpg (137 KB, 746x982)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>685721
>>685999
I've returned, I kept bashing my head against the covenant rape wall until I was finally good enough to conquer it. Tried Armada 3 afterwards and stomped. Felt so much different
>>
>>688163
I can't play Armada 3 because of nonstop stuttering. It doesn't happen with other mods.
>>
>>685966
*submarines flying at hundreds of kilometers per second with combat aircraft levels of juggling in space
>>
>>628019
I feel like the mission-based gameplay is a wasted oppurtinity.
They could have made a full blown space RTS in the solar system with that game. With logistics and intel.
>>
Just redownloaded SoaSE, what mod should I get, I've played vanilla several years ago and I had fun.
>>
>>689139
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stars
or
https://www.moddb.com/mods/enhanced-4x-mod
>>
File: 1625087989548.jpg (63 KB, 897x897)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>685071
>Space RTS
>Without Z Axis

Why even put it in space then?
>>
>>690187
just like the theme
>>
File: sixpointsbitch.png (7 KB, 359x313)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>690192
I suppose that's fair, I just find it irritating how very few devs actually implement true three dimensional mechanics in space games. It just reeks of laziness and a lack of actual coding ability. Homeworld, CoaDE, and BSG Deadlock are basically all we have, while fake Space RTS games like Battlefleet Gothic are made in droves.
>>
>>690200
Its less about dev ability, HW showed the industry can do that 20 years ago, and CoaDe showed independent dev can do that as well, but the customer base is really small.
plebs are filtered by the complexity of true 3d, orbital maneuver, or the idea of top speed for all is the speed of light or the concept of delta v instead of range.
>>
>>690187
like I was saying, a space RTS should have some verticality to it, vessels shouldn't be locked to one plane and forced into crashing or hitting spacebergs. A soft or implied z axis, or discrete "alitude" layers might be sufficient for a given sort of game. But usually a true 3D RTS is just more complicated to play while not adding much sophistication. It's usually gonna just be an arbitrary matter of a fleet "spawning" however much "higher" than yours and that's just how far away it is until the fleets get closer together. With a bunch of extra clicks just to move them all. Visually it's kino, but without mechanics that make the z axis meaningful, it's still just gonna be space Midway redux but the plane of action is maybe tilted.

Now if ships rotated on axis, and rotation and facing actually matter in terms of weapons coverage, vulnerability, devastating blast patterns of exploding ships etc, then THAT would open up a lot of tactical smut. Even in HW, ships behave basically like they're either planes or dirigibles, locked or biased toward the assumed x-y plane. There's plenty of space combat games that consider 6DoF features, but space tactics games don't. Besides maybe CoaDE of course.

On blast patterns, imagine if one faction has drive reactors that explode in "up-down" cones while another bursts outward in a lateral saucer shape. Ships could maneuver in the z axis or rotate to place an enemy in their threat range as deterrent, and try to force them to assume a disadvantageous position or attempt a riskier or slower way to take them offline, say capture by boarding. Meanwhile a wing of bombers on the blind side of a senor-disrupting debris field "below" the action" swoop in to strike the "underbelly" of a careening capital ship, with its primary gimballed flak arrays now tilted out of optimal range. Etc. etc.
>>
Are there even any space combat RTS games that have a Z axis? it doesn't seem feasible with any modern RTS controls
>>
>>641863
I was doing research on 16th century English books about six years ago and found a similar description of a space battle. Unfortunately I didn't note it down and I've regretted it ever since. I don't think it was the same event translated into english because the writer described the battle as between two different shapes of objects. I only remember that one was shaped like black "coffins" or "caskets".
>>
>>690823
>CoaDE
it's called CHODE.
>>
>>627984
fpbp
https://youtu.be/UWNhTSiDS3w
https://youtu.be/A2YxYV0TSBI
https://youtu.be/f3SOaUvoakI
>>
>>690823
Sounds like you are describing SotS. Ships rotating in unison while maintaining momentum look a bit silly but it's useful to point different weapons towards the enemy and not get your engine blown up by a missile volley.
One of the factions even has auxillary ship used for maintaining wormholes that could fire a blast directly behind it sending anything caught in it out of combat.
>>
>>691153
I cry every time I see what SotS 2 could've been if paradox weren't dickheads who wanted the Devs to embrace their DLC model of "release a game missing most its features and then charge people as you drip feed them over time"
>>
>>640566
The game is as dead as dead possibly can be.
Funny enough the cosmetic DLCs are still available https://store.steampowered.com/app/711021/Fractured_Space__Enhance_Pack/.
>>
>>691565
There's a fan project that tried to revive it. I think you can find it on the steam forums for the game.
>>
File: 1451792823840.webm (2.74 MB, 980x551)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB WEBM
>>657448
>>685307
>>
>>690923
Metal Fatigue
>>
>>688306
That's a shame, Cardassians/Dominion are kino
>>
>>690200
>>690187
I like the idea of a Z axis, but I also find it quite disorienting.
>>
>>690187
other than the money from sci-fi shit it allows for more flexible scale. space is big and people want to put big things in it, it's weirdly satisfying to take some 20km monstrosity and blast a bunch of more reasonably sized gunboats like they were mosquitos
>>
>>628192
I mean, the late game has some 4x elements.
>>
File: 1478312283257.png (156 KB, 2240x1178)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
>>693764
Damn straight.
>>
Nexus: the Jupiter Incident.
Battlefleet Gothic 1+2.

Sorry but I prefer battles in space because it's closer to naval strategy.
>>
Freespace 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p0nxYMVUsQ
>>
>>693801
Star Ruler.png

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.