[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Previous
>>576497
>>
File: 20210514082313_1.jpg (478 KB, 1920x1080)
478 KB
478 KB JPG
Teaser for a mod im porting from Rome classic into Remastered
>>
>>595654
>>
>>595657
look like normal rome
>>
>>595660
>given cartago nova to carthage
>given carthago the "numidian archers" (They're really called carthaginian archers in the game files)
>given seleucids one of egypt's regions
>nerfed britain's campaign start by removing belgium from them and also upper britain
>removed the desert bonus from egypt since they will fight in deserts 99% of the time anyway
its an attempt to make the AI expand more easily, instead of just britain steamrolling all of europe, seleucids getting wiped out every campaing by egypt, etc...
if i knew how to do it, i'd also add a few settlements and landbridges in a few spots
>>
>>594851
I'll probably try it out sometime.
>>
Gonna start up an Attila playthrough this week I think and post it here. I've never posted my games before and am kinda excited to do so.
Who should I play as? I have all DLC.
>>
File: m2kingofkings2.jpg (898 KB, 1920x1080)
898 KB
898 KB JPG
>Fuck Milan, Fuck Angl*s, Fuck Scandis.
Raise the oriflamme, this is now a frog thread.

>>595659
>that model
>shield 0
>>595798
Very nice. Westphalia in AoC?
>>595663
Maybe i'm wrong but it seems like you're too hard on spain and britons.
Isn't the entire reason for briton supramacy chariots? Being almost identical to Gaul otherwise. How historical is that anyway?
Seems like if it is possible the solution is to tweak chariot imact on autoresolve.
>>
File: germ.png (322 KB, 1571x326)
322 KB
322 KB PNG
>>595845
just a reskins, stats the same
>>
>Rome remastered randomiser mod
>Play as Juli family in Jerusalem
>Have to wait forever for Marian reform cause the Brutii family took so damn long to build the imperial palace in Italy
>>
File: alalalalai.png (1.38 MB, 1423x1009)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
>>595853
>not conquering a world with Triarii
>>
>>595845
>Maybe i'm wrong but it seems like you're too hard on spain and britons.
Its more about giving carthage a better head start than about nerfing spain. I can just give Numantia to Spain.
And if you check any AI campaigns or do any long-term campaign yourself in Rome 1 its 90% guaranteed britain steamrolls most of germany and france, while the AI never wipes them out since they're an island nation.
Plus, Britain's starting position is literally taken from medieval england, with that possession in the mainland kek
>>
>>595974
turn Germanic warband from phalanx into spear band(they are better in autocalc)
boost Iberian infantry by lowering it tier, give them better moral(like +2), impetus and fast moving and lower their upkeep cost(maybe give them warcry)
lower chariot morale
give scutarii better morale and stats(at last on level with Hastati)
give Iberians a spear warband instead of town militia
>>
>>595975
i thought of the others already but
>give scutarii better morale and stats(at last on level with Hastati)
>give Iberians a spear warband instead of town militia
these are pretty good idea. i also planned on reducing iberian infantry's upkeep since 170 upkeep for an 80 man trash unit is so overkill. It would be 255 if they were 120
>>
File: iberia.png (326 KB, 1635x325)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
>>595981
iberians are pretty trashy anyway
>town militia when barbars have spear warband
>iberian infantry that is overpriced piece of shit with no redeeming qualities
>scutarii that are below hastatii and tier 3
>round shield cavalry that is not good especially compared to barb cavalry
>no archers
>>
>>595981
or increase Iberian inf size from 40 to 50, but yeah their upkeep should be like 130 as they are weaker version of thracian mercs
>>
File: spearwarband.jpg (335 KB, 1534x981)
335 KB
335 KB JPG
>>595986
>>town militia when barbars have spear warband
Result of copypasting carthage's roster to Spain
>>iberian infantry that is overpriced piece of shit with no redeeming qualities
they probably wanted carthage to be a punching bag for the player when usign the scipii.
theres a reason it wasnt meant to be playable in that state lol
>>595988
i dont really want to fuck with unit sizes, i think reducing upkeep to 120 or so would be enough
working on the spear warband for iberians atm, where can i find pants that fit this shape?
>>
>>595997
>working on the spear warband for iberians atm
you can just use town militia with warband stats
>>
File: barb_longshield_dacia.png (680 KB, 1345x916)
680 KB
680 KB PNG
>>596000
>you can just use town militia with warband stats
nah thats gay
plus, ive just realized i can just copy paste some of the brown dacian textures and adjust the colors to make them a lighter brown
>>
>>596013
what you use to change textures?
what is the whole process?
>>
File: 20210517111426_1.jpg (705 KB, 1920x1080)
705 KB
705 KB JPG
>>596016
i use GIMP, but you can also use photoshop
I dont really "make" textures, i just copypaste them from different units to make new faction colors, or colorize them with GIMP itself
i think the pants for the spanish warband turned out too muted
>>
File: GIMP_DDS_Export.jpg (37 KB, 352x353)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>596016
>what is the whole process?
well, in rome remastered you have to first decompress the textures with IWTE so that GIMP or photoshop can open them
then you edit them as you wish, and export them with these settings.
oh, and ofc you have to assign the new texture in descr_model_battle
>>
File: bongs.png (334 KB, 1640x308)
334 KB
334 KB PNG
>>596050
>barechest barbarians
ugh
I just give cloths to all barbarian units that are not naked/berz/night raiders/skirmish troops
i tried use gimp but then it failed to load and crashed game when i used one with saved changes
>>596053
OG Rome, still on Win7
>>
>>596056
no clue, ive only really started modding for new rome, i assume the old one is easier
>>
File: gual.png (324 KB, 1624x287)
324 KB
324 KB PNG
>>596057
i just borrow textures from other mods
lazy way but hey as long as it works its fine
>>
>>596058
yeah, i felt like if i modded for Rome 1 it would be so pointless since that game has had so many years of mods for nearly anything, thats why i started in remastered so i can fill uncovered niches and make small mods
>>
File: pyjama party.png (178 KB, 567x495)
178 KB
178 KB PNG
>>596063
good luck
desu I like vanilla and sure autism mods are fine but they often lose themselves in the forest
I am making my own mod for Og Rome which contain, so far
>some balance changes from vanilla balance mod(including lasts bug fixef)
>reskin of some units, like barechests barbarians etc
>adding few(like1-3max) units to rooster, balancing some stats, switching tiers etc
>using better AI formation(modified EB one)
planned
>adding BI barbarioan buldings for barb factions
>Greek Egypt
>modified map(landbridges and shit)
>changing units and recruitment(one separate military building per faction/faction group, changes to skirmishers(slings long range but smaller units with AP, archers medium range close formation, javelins into light infantry, smaller cavalry units for some factions and higher costs)
DESU most OG Rome vanilla mods are either too little or too much
>>
>>596067
sounds cool, i wish i knew how to do the landbridges stuff
>>
>>596068
I have no idea, just gonna use the balance mod ones
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php/90798-Barbarossa82-s-Gold-Mod-Collection-Vanilla-Balance-Mod-VBM-for-BI-Alexander-Reborn
ah and I also use Alex.exe for better AI
>>
File: oyu4oqp88wm61.jpg (185 KB, 2000x1815)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>Rome remastered
>finish my scipii campaign, pretty easy overall
>hmm the seleucids have a cool roster, lets try them next
>mfw turn 20

I mean I could only just take on egypt, pontus, the parthians and the armenians at the same time, but now the greeks decided to stab me in the back and hit my undefended provinces in asia minor

I'd be tempted to form an alliance with carthage or the brutii but at this point it's probably too late, plus they'll only just stab me in the back like the greeks lmao
>>
File: spearwarband.jpg (364 KB, 1265x951)
364 KB
364 KB JPG
holy shit the cloning tool from GIMP would've saved me so much time had i known about it earlier
>>596070
>just gonna use the balance mod ones
those are bretty good
in the remaster AI actually does naval invasions more often so they're kinda pointless, but i still wish i could port those
>alex.exe
didnt know alex had better AI
>>596072
seleucid is the typical faction that youtubers recommend just for the roster, when in the actual campaign their position is so shit, and threatened from all sides
theres a reason seleucids never make it far when controlled by AI
also turkey has a serious lack of settlements in some areas, maybe try this mod
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2486648499
>>
File: welcome to Aetolia gents.png (3.04 MB, 1920x1080)
3.04 MB
3.04 MB PNG
>>596077
>didnt know alex had better AI
it supposedly better and do naval invasions and shit
>>
File: file.png (722 KB, 783x954)
722 KB
722 KB PNG
>>595654
Man what the fuck is going on in the fanatasoi general?
>>
>>596058
Based. That's how I started work on modding centuries ago. Keep at it anon. I still frankenstein shit but I was able to learn how to make/manipulate textures to make new-ish ones. Always makes me feel nice when I see people's R2 pics and I'll go "Oh hey I made that tunic or I made that shield".

>>596067
Something I noticed playing Ancient Empires is while I loved EB, I'm no longer a fan of the really hardcore ethnic nomenclature. Then again for a few years now I've been of the camp of "lingua francia nomenclature". Keeping it to just a few common languages so you can quickly develop an association rather than having every single faction (if possible) in their native tongue. So in a Medieval mod for instance I'd go with Latin for Latin Christendom, Greek for Orthodox Christendom, Arabic for Muslims and Mongolic for Mongol. For a Rome one it'd probably be Latin/Greek/Persian and maybe Arabic or maybe Gallic. Repetition makes it easy to quickly comprehend Thorakitai or Pedites, but Cemmeinarn or Assa-Barai can be a case of ?????

Naturally some can dislike the idea of having a Gallic unit named Lanciarii Nobilies or however the fuck you say it, but way I see it is you already have Gaesatae and so on. There's no one answer to it though. The other option is to just try and mix english with an ethnic term for variety. Levy Hoplitai sounds cooler than levy men-at-arms, Gaesatae spears is better than naked spears, Ambactoi cavalry sounds a bit more ethnic than 'retainer cavalry'.
>>
>>596072
I think I was lucky in my campaign, I was able to ally Egypt for a couple turns before they backstabbed me, but it was enough to kill the greeks in asia minor and secure my frontier with Parthia and Pontus before dealing with Egypt and becoming filthy rich.
>>
File: 1499120442403.gif (328 KB, 549x598)
328 KB
328 KB GIF
>>595654
Jesus, I finally figured out how to kill other Catholic factions in M2TW without getting my ass excommunicated but it's such a pain in the ass.
>bushwhack one or two settlements in a single turn
>have to hunker down and desperately pray the french fucks don't send two stacks my way for *seven* turns
I'd really like to take three settlements all at once but that's just asking to bankrupt my economy

>>596173
Huge amounts of faggotry as usual, why?
>>
>>596488
You could cheese diplomacy so that the penalty is opinion loss rather than excommunication.
Offer the paypal states "very generous" deals that they're unwilling to accept (alliance+military access).
Should have perfect opinion after a few flattering proposals. Time to hire a permanent pope greaser.
>>
>>596080
Is that the remaster? What changed?
>>
>>596512
Yeah, I'm gonna use the diplomat I've parked next to Rome to do that.
>>
>>596513
>Is that the remaster
no
its og Rome just using alex.exe to play Rome campaign
>>
File: Saranid_Troop_Tree.jpg (604 KB, 1680x1050)
604 KB
604 KB JPG
>>596361
>I'm no longer a fan of the really hardcore ethnic nomenclature
>>
>RTW
>can't play as Pyrrhus and take revenge on the romans
What's the point?
>>
>>596998
soon. RTR released version 0.1
>>
>>596998
>Single-city kingdoms
whats the point? those should just be rebel settlements
if your region is only relevant in history for a single battle or for being on the defensive, or only has one region, its not worth wasting a Faction slot. Numidia should be removed too

Just play the pyrrhus historical battle
>>
>>597159
lifted limits for remaster when?
>>
>>597184
they havent said yet
didnt they said emergent factions would be available for base Rome too? do those count towards the normal faction limits too? would be cool for realistic mods to have factions emerge at specific moments
>>
File: Chariot archers.png (2.7 MB, 1919x806)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB PNG
*parks in front of your palisaded settlement*
*kills everyone not hugging the town square*
heh... nothin personnel kid
>>
>Rome 2 has currently 3 (three) times the number of active players on steam as Rome remastered

What the hell went wrong bros?
>>
>>597340
most people old enough to be nostalgic for Rome 1 are in their late 20's or 30's
Rome 2 always had players due to the time period, despite being a trash fire of a release and hindered by the warscape engine and super simple gamepaly
>>
>>597357
>most people old enough to be nostalgic for Rome 1 are in their late 20's or 30's
exactly right. out of a sample size of 6, 6 stopped playing after 1 or 2 campaigns. Jobs, kids, PhD defenses; you name it. What little time's left for games doesn't get spent on nostalgiafagging, at least not for a game that actually aged kinda poorly.
>>
>>596517
You can also bait your enemy into getting excommed first by repeatedly placing weak stacks inside their lands and making insulting diplomatic proposals.
Might want to check how much the pope loves them before trying that.
>>
>>597386
if they actually worked on it themselves instead of giving the project to a company in charge of porting games to linux and phones, it could've been better i think
but they're too busy milking the warhammer license while it lasts, since people apparently want an even more braindead streamlined type of total war games now
>>
Why is the rome remasterd UI so fucking bad anons?
>>
Anyone play the SSHIP mod? I keep getting my ass kicked by scripted Scottish doom stacks as Britain.
>>
File: join us.png (322 KB, 255x591)
322 KB
322 KB PNG
You did convert right anon?
>>
>>597483
AE is so fun
>>
>>597483
whats this? i dont rember seeing it in Attila...
>>
>>595654
why fire?
>>
>>597548
its what happen when you raze a settlement in Attila after capturing it
>>
>>597552
tanks anone
>>
>>597547
Because there's only like three areas where this religion is in high enough numbers to convert to it.
>>
>>597581
what are those areas? is there any faction that actually has this religoin
>>
>>596991
Some of those are okay. I think I mainly hate vowelless stuff (Semitic languages) and really obscure ones. It's probably just a case of repetition and rote memorization because Latin and Greek are very easy to work with (Latin also because of similarities to English terms). Arabic and Turkic and Persian are manageable. Past that and for non Romance/German languages it's a real doozy. I figure the best is Ethnic term to define the theme of the unit, english term to define the role. And in some cases no need for the english term. Hoplite Spearmen is dumb, but Ambacti spearmen is necessary.

>>597184
To be honest I'm waiting on buying it because I want confirmation of that. At this point I expect I'll just wait for a sale in the future once total conversions are ported over (if they are). Though that risks not getting a 50% off sale. So I might just buy it just to have it on hand.

>>597428
Honestly short of a remake of Rome 1 it would have ended up the same way. I imagine it was an intentional throw-away effort the same way Troy was where the goal is to advertise or stoke up interest rather than to actually make a big profit.

Still cannot fucking fathom why they haven't done Medieval 3 because it would print money. If that's not the next big historical total war after 3K they really are full retard.
>>
File: 88zwqlqepi251.png (1.24 MB, 1443x792)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
Troy is finally getting a release on the lgbtq+ store this summer! Will you folks finally try it?

It's been only me and maybe 2 of the other few cis dudes discussing it on /vst/ so far. Should be exciting to get everyone else's takes on it!
>>
>>597605
meds
>>
>>597605
what
>>
>>597595
>If that's not the next big historical total war after 3K they really are full retard.
They'll probably only make a mainline historical TW after the WH money dries up. 3K exists mainly to pander to China.
Give them 3-5 years minimum before they're done milking that cash cow.
>>
>>597605
I don't think it's about the exclusivity per se but maybe the choice of EGS is another symptom of the reason I'm turned off by this game. Because of the Homeric setting there is a bit too much traditional masculinity values at play and it makes me uneasy hearing stuff like that when all I wanna do is zone out to my history autism and toy soldier marching.
>>
>>597590
https://totalwar.fandom.com/wiki/Minor_Religions
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?712441-Religion-Local-Traditions-Map
>>
>>597605
>Troy is finally getting a release on the lgbtq+ store this summer!
but it was already released on epic?
>>
File: unknown.png (1.8 MB, 1136x881)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB PNG
Bros... 1942 might get ported to remastered...
>>
>check on AE after a few years maybe it's better
>want to play steppe nomads
>still have a barebones roster
reeeee
>>
>>595864
trar ree aye
>>
>>598034
>aye
>pronouncing latin as if it were english
>>
File: RegionName.jpg (21 KB, 455x200)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
doing a little modding, anyone know what file could cause this error message?
>>
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2491524210
mundus magnus is out, i can finally rest my eyes from the eyesore of the normal remastered map
>>
>>598309
applaud the effort but its still look worse than oog map
>>
>>598325
i feel like the problem with mundus magnus is how they put too much detail in the textures, so they end up looking too sharp
heres hoping for a compromise
>>
>>598236
it's fyromia in the remaster
>>
>>597605
Is it good?
>>
File: fyromia.png (9 KB, 618x261)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>598343
fuck you i actually checked
>>
>>598343
kek
>Pulevski analyzed the folk histories of the Slavic Macedonian people, in which he concluded that Slavic Macedonians were ethnically linked to the people of the ancient Kingdom of Macedonia of Philip and Alexander the Great based on the claim that the ancient Macedonian language had Slavic components in it and thus the ancient Macedonians were Slavic, and modern-day Slavic Macedonians were their descendants
>>
>Get a mod to turn off Climate change in Attila
>my survival strategy game turns into a playable, amazing, proper Total War game

Anyone else?
>>
>>597978
I expect they'll never get the kind of super detailed roster that Carthage and Rome got anyway. I'm planning on trying to mod the visuals of them + Parthia at least from stuff I did for Attila and a 3rd century R2 mod because god the vanilla Parthians always struck me as so fucking ugly. There's a lot of later Attila-ish era models that can be retroactively used for earlier steppe nomads.

I'm leery of too much work on that though because I realized now after playing rather than doing textures how rarely you actually look at the units. I feel like the UI card is more important to look cool than the unit itself sometimes because you see that all the time.

>>597675
I wouldn't be surprised if they try and make room for China in future total wars, though it will be tricky to do so with the conventional Europe-oriented map unless they go with a Warhammer approach of theatres separate unified in a common campaign. I know for pike and shot I wouldn't mind Western Eurasia + East Africa + Arabia / New World / East and Southern Asia. That said I don't think they can milk 3k much longer than 3 years. It's Korea and steppe nomads and maybe one more starting date and they've pretty much ran out of three kingdoms era material. Then it's just Attila style major timeline shifts to say Rise of the Han or something.
>>
>>598935
I'm mad because it's not that hard to do. I edited attila rosters all the time. the hardest part is the unit cards.
>>
>>595654
I've been played Macedonia in Rome Remastered.
I have had a city sieged every single turn. By the Greeks, the Thracians, or the Brutii.
I've won all but one siege battle, and the Romans massively outnumbered me there, and kicked the Greeks out of Greece.
I'm finishing off the Roman presence in Greece, and have an army out capturing the islands finally.
Then I can get rid of the fucking Thracians.

Naturally the Romans called for a Ceasefire, then immediately attacked me the next turn.
>>
>>599236
>Naturally the Romans called for a Ceasefire, then immediately attacked me the next turn.
that is because you are at wall with all four roman factions and they auto declare war if any of them is in war
so you need to make cease fire with 4 of them
>>
>>599252
I'm aware, it's still a pain in my ass.
>>
>>598672
>cheats
>>
>>596072
Funny you mentioned that because I just finished a campaign as the Selucids. I did medium campaign and hard battle, in retrospect I could have done VH battle but I tried hard campaign and holy shit it is fucking pain. I was able to survive but could never push out of my first areas because the Egyptians would have 5 full stacks running around at all times and Pontus, Armenia, and Parthia were constantly invading my northern and eastern provinces.

In my M/H campaign it was a lot more enjoyable, Egypt still put up a great fight and the other shithead neighbors gave me a challenge but it wasn't making me want to push fingers into my eyes. The best strategy is to just spam Militia Hoplites or Levy Pikemen in your provinces that are going to be permanently under attack by Pontus/Armenia/Parthia while you spam the fuck out of elephants to take out the Egyptians as quickly as possible, Once Egypt is dead focus on everyone else.
But once you get done with Egypt and your other annoying neighbors the Selucids are a breeze. The Romans are absurdly easy to beat in the field by just spamming Cataphracts and War Elephants while they can also be easily beaten when you're defending in a siege by just blocking off the streets with 10 Phalanx Pikemen and they're the only ones you'll face in any meaningful way after you take out Egypt, Pontus, and the Greeks.
Luv Cataphracts now, I wiped out multiple full stacks of Romans with just Cataphracts and a few pikemen, only suffering maybe 50 causalities, because the Roman army just has 0 way to deal with cavalry and once the marian reforms hit they don't even make triarii anymore.
>>
So, how about mods for Hellenic Egypt?

>>597483
Maybe. Obscure religions autism can be a hell of drug, just looks at Lux Invicta or WTWSMS mods for CK2.
>>597605
I have it on Ebin free anyway, but I mostly would just play it for amazon mommy.
>>597800
What is going on here?
>>
https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1621518749990.webm
saw this in the RTW Discord
>>599545
>Hellenic Egypt
>Wanting another hellenic faction on top of greeks, macedon, thracians and seleucids instead of some variety that doesnt follow muh realism
well theres plenty of realism mods for that anon
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=885970&searchtext=egypt&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=mostrecent&section=readytouseitems
>>
>>599180
I figure it's more what units can they add? When you get to steppe nomads the units beyond the real basic baseline are AOR or late era unlocks.

I guess the best you could do to really draw it out would be, say on the topic of horse archers:

>Unarmored
>Lightly armored (rawhide and bone scale)
>Heavily armored (metal scale)
>Cataphracts
Then maybe some late era cataphract.
>>
>>599364
The game becomes unplayable as a traditional Total War title late game with it on. Turning it off just lets me be able to play a Total War game.
>>
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-rome-remastered-patch-2-0-1-notes/

>Patch 2.0.1 is largely a stability patch to address one-off crashes. The focus for our next patch and beyond is to investigate and improve areas of the game including AI, pathfinding and modding functionality.

They’re working on it lads, in time RTWR will be the perfect total war game
>>
File: maxresdefault (9).jpg (72 KB, 1280x720)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>597483
>Killing 30% of migrants
>>
>ERE campaign
>NAP and intermarry both huns so I can focus on the Sassanids
>knock down all the churches
>go pagan
>beeline straight for the sassanid capital
>vassalising them means I also get all their vassals
>other minor middle eastern beg me to vassalise them too
>easy 20k per turn from all the tribute
Wew, love it.
Now to beat the huns at their own game with my stacks of mounted Sagitarii
>>
>>599851
Yeah, that with the cav. horse archers too.
Some low-tier greek hoplites wouldnt be unrealistic either since many were hellenized. maybe some thracian skirmish units.
>>
>>600082
Gonna try this next time, perhaps the lesser of two ebils.
>unplayable
can't you just build around flat gains instead of fertility dependent?
>>600316
>vassalising them means I also get all their vassals
How does that work, do they untie from sass and become your direct vassals or what?
>>
What Barbarian Invasion faction should I play?
>>
>>600881
frenks
>immediately dismiss some units to upgrade your city
>growthmax it while building up a garrison stack
>enslave both rebel settlements next to you, then tax them until they rebel
>horde when you have a full stack
>sack the alemanni
>sack everything until you reach Lugdunum then settle there
Afterwards it's smooth sailing thanks to how defensible your position is.
>>
>>600607
>How does that work, do they untie from sass and become your direct vassals or what?
Yeah. You can do the same thing in Shogun 2.
>>
>>599728
>>Hellenic Egypt
>>Wanting another hellenic faction on top of greeks, macedon, thracians and seleucids instead of some variety that doesnt follow muh realism
yes vanilla nigger many people didnt like fantasy egypt
>>
>>599728
Yes, to hell with bronze age Egypt. Games might never be really realistic, but at least visually they should strive for that.
>>
>>597483
What is that?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (110 KB, 1153x736)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>600981
Ok
>>
File: Capture2.jpg (26 KB, 481x324)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>603663
So right off the bat (west) Rome was willing to part with 2 settlements and diplomacy says they're bankrupt.
>>
>>601828
>>601813

What you could do to keep the variety of playstyle between the hellenes would be bring back Greek Egypt but:

>Macedon: Utterly conventional Alexander. Archaic-ly so
>Silly kids: 2nd best pikes, cataphracts and elephants
>Ptolemies: Worst pikes but give em 1-2 more thureos units (Heavy peltast, a melee thureos unit) and then imitation legions (take em from Sillykids).

Basically macedon is early Hellenic, Seleucids is Middle Hellenic, Ptolemies is late Hellenic.
>>
Holy shit this is such a great idea. I can fucking abandon /twg/ now.
>>
>>604089
i still remember comfy /twg/ pre the warhammer fag invasion
>>
>>603768
oh man what are you doing. you can't horde if you have more than one settlement! I guess you can use these shiny new compensatory mechanics of Remastered to nab some territory but it's less fun.
>>
File: Capture3.jpg (31 KB, 429x376)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>604424
>oh man what are you doing.
Just what I normally do when playing these games.
I don't know what 'horde' is, in EBii mod for med 2 some factions had a raiding mechanic where putting units in foreign territory would give you income, is horde like that?
>>
>>599728
>>601828
yeah copy pasting seleucids into the egyptian region will sure be more interesting than an actual distinctive faction in there
>>
File: Capture5.jpg (42 KB, 504x359)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>604537
Oh... who should I choose?
>>
>>604567
eastern for sure
just check the strength and wealth of both, western should be much weaker, unless the remaster has turned hordes into pussies
>>
Anyone got tips for WRE on VH?
>>
>>604537
No, there's a mechanic in BI where if your faction is reduced to a single settlement you can either choose to migrate (it's in the settlement details tab afaik) or you get forced to migrate if you lose your last settlement. Spawns about four stacks' worth of units that you can just use to sack everything until you find a place to settle down.
>>
File: Capture4.jpg (134 KB, 1465x825)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>604567
...and... I've won, game wasn't kidding when it said franks were easy...
>>
File: Capture6.jpg (168 KB, 1236x803)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>605270
>>
>>600981
>upgrade your city, growthmax it
Why, do you get a larger horde, is it based on pop or city level perhaps?
>>605276
GG
>>
File: Ptolemaic_Infantry.png (286 KB, 1681x887)
286 KB
286 KB PNG
>>599545
>>
File: Ptolemaic_Cavalry.png (126 KB, 1130x774)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
>>599545
and cavalry
>>
>>603792
ok
>>605415
>>605420
ok, but how about a mod?
>>
>>605479
for og or remaster?
>>
>>600881
Norsca
>>
Just triggered the realm divide as Hojo. Now I got a massive war with Oda ahead of me. Managed to ambush one of his armies, but even that was a tough fight, way tougher than it shouldve been. His ashigaru are actually pretty ridiculous. Atleast as the Hojo, and having eliminated the Date i have the luxury to not worry about war on two fronts.
>>
AE pikes are super strong. they decimated my illyrian troops like crazy and still are tough to crack even when flanked. Not even DEI pikes are this strong.
>>
>>606916
I don't have total warhammer
>>
>>607133
yikes
>>
File: 20210521210752_1.jpg (334 KB, 1920x1200)
334 KB
334 KB JPG
Death Stranding (2018)
>>
>>605490
for both, desu
>>
Hope the next one will be Empire 2 so we can have big campaign maps and colonial empires. I would like one set around the time of Croesus and Cyrus the Great but I doubt that since Troy happened.
>>
>>607352
there is some for both
check workshop and modb for og
>>
File: 1589335892695.png (1.13 MB, 640x1081)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
What do anons think of the "tax very high every other turn" economy strategy in Shogun 2?
I will try it in my next Oda campaign, I feel there's no point in waiting for growth when you can steamroll with ashigarus.
>>
When gamifying history, should a total war settlement have the population of the settlement itself, or the historical province population in total? This would make a huge difference in barbarian regions in antiquity
And also, how could "border" regions in the far east end of the map come to represent whats beyond? Should they be reacher, as if a single province represented the imaginary area of influence beyond?
>>
>>607833
If I want to steamroll the game? It works great, growth doesn't give noticeable benefits for a long time anyway.
If I want to play in a way that doesn't feel "gamey"? Then nah, people wouldn't stand for the taxes being super high for half the year every year.
>>
File: Attilavisigoffs.jpg (614 KB, 1920x1080)
614 KB
614 KB JPG
/vst/ frens, today i played some (mostly*) vanilla Attila, thought i'd post the map at the end of my short Visigoth campaign.
Played it fairly straight: sack greece and rome, settle in italy, pick at the carcass of WRE while forming the EU.
Called it here even though i'd have to wait 8 years and backstab Alamans to seize the rest of Narbonensis for the victory conditions.
*Tried playing with no climate change and AI aggressively resettling ruins mod.
>>
>>607914
I love this game but the amount of separatist factions that pop up is ridiculous. Is this historically fitting in any way? I'm not too clued up on late Roman history.
>>
>>604353
Remember when people said that we should probably make a separate /twg/ for war hammer but it was dismissed?
>>
>>607136
I'm refraining from doing a warhammer playyhrough because i don't want to ruin this for you guys. I also don't want to attract the troons that inhabit the general.
>>
>>608417
commendable
>>
How the hell are you supposed to make money as Belisarius while staying loyal in the last Roman?
>>
File: backonthemenu.jpg (418 KB, 1461x599)
418 KB
418 KB JPG
>>608472
Are you fielding too many armies/costly units?
Are you upgrading the horde buildings?
Maybe raising additional armies just to create wealth generating buildings in them?
Only played as Vandalic kingdom before in TLR.
>>
>>608359
Yeah by Warhammerfags

>>607914
Does Atilla run better now?
>>
File: settings.jpg (139 KB, 858x405)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>608659
>Does Atilla run better now?
Depends. Not really. I use some recommended settings from a guide, if you set it to skip ai movement it takes a bit under a minute per turn for me, it will sort of spazz out while doing that but whatever.
Loading times between battles are so-so it's not as snappy as og rome but it's playable.
There's supposedly a way to bring Thrones of Britannia optimization into Attila but idk how you'd go about it or how much that helps.
>>
>>608680
Is it an exe swap like ye olde days or is it a shader swap? I don't have thrones so what do I know.

After I finish with my DEI campaign I'll want to try finishing a WRE Atilla. I have a 1650s and a hexcore now so I hope it's playable.
>>
>>607833
its very strong, but feels too cheesy and gamey for me honestly. i only do it a couple of times in the early game if i really need some cash. apparently theres an event that can happen if you do it too much? but i never saw this happen in any of my games
>>
File: 20210504140535_1.jpg (328 KB, 1680x1050)
328 KB
328 KB JPG
>>599545
>>
File: rat stormvermin.jpg (45 KB, 628x700)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>Total war thread
>No rats
Let's fix that
>>
Thanquol later, friends!
>>
>>608981
>>609001
>a fucking leaf
>>
File: thanqueer is reddit.jpg (75 KB, 743x735)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>609006
Explains a lot desu
>>
>>607548
What names though?
>>
File: Cleo_trailer.jpg (136 KB, 853x478)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>595654
Antony! Dismantle Judea!
>>
>>607989
Honestly, it's pretty accurate just judging by that pic. I've never played Attila, but the Roman rump states that were established in real life seem rather accurate to the pic.
It wasn't just one overarching "REBELS" but local and regional rebels that established their own states. The African rump states for example. But even then, there were a good handful of Romano-African rump states, not just one, so even with all of these factions it's still an abstraction.
>>
File: alan.jpg (537 KB, 1920x1080)
537 KB
537 KB JPG
Thought i'd have another go at Attila as the Balans.
Figure i'll raid my way through the ERE, pick up either Zoroastrianism or Semitic paganism then set up shop somewhere but i haven't decided where exactly, thoughts?
>>
>>608981
>>609001
>>609006
>>609007
this thread is for discussion of the Total War games
please direct the Warhammer Fantasy discussion to the /twg/ general on >>>/vg/
>>
>>609649
Skaven are my favourite faction in Total War: Warhammer 2!
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (250 KB, 1280x720)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
>>609654
>rats
Lizards are way better.
>>
File: 20210523195551_1.jpg (1.05 MB, 2560x1440)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
Had to call it quits on my ETW Spain campaign because of a shitty bug that prevented me from moving around the map except by clicking on the minimap.
>>
>>595654
how the fuck does anyone play any total war campaign past turn 40 or so

why isn't the campaigns just a series of battles with an interactive campaign and persistent army to manage them like homeworld or ultimate general
>>
>>609680
because it's a hybrid rts tbs
>>
>>609673
F. You're still a monarchy right, did you get a new king? Any good?
>>609680
>he doesn't play pretend
Not familiar with your examples but yeah i'd be open to shaking up the formula a little, i guess freedom and emergent gameplay is the appeal to a sandbox style map but you could do branching paths or something.
Recently poked hoi4, though i didn't take to it i found the national focus approach interesting.
Been thinking about how tech pushes unique units so far back that they're likely to feature in only a fragments of your battles if at all and how province optimization doesn't offer that much in the way of meaningful choice. The diplomacy is wonky, all of the management side of things could use some work.
Ultimately CA is interested in selling copies, there is no need to find a better way to do things when what they're currently doing is so successful.
I guess tob/tk/troy is them safely experimenting with very minor changes, expect similar things in the future. thx 4 reading my blog
Tldr: It is what it is.
>>
>>609737
Yep, still monarchy.
Got two queens, both were good.
>>
File: 20210513231944_1.jpg (551 KB, 1920x1080)
551 KB
551 KB JPG
>>609680
Turn 40 is the make or break for me. If I haven't gotten somewhat immersed in the campaign I move to something else.
>>
>>609586
I did a very successful campaign with the alans a while ago. Basically sack everything in your way from Constantinople to France and settle in Spain. You should be able to settle over half the settlements in Spain in a couple of turns. Turtle a bit to get you economy up and then push east into WRE.
Alanic cavalry are the best counter to the huns so they will melt when you inevitably meet them in the Balkans
>>
Everyone talks shit about Rome 2

I just love playing Caesar in Gaul DLC. Over and over. I probably have more hours there then the grand campaign. It’s pure fun to just play as Caesar marching through Gaul. It can lead to some fun battles.
>>
>>610477
I can't play Rome2 without DEI, so I miss out.
>>
>>610549
doesnt dei work with the mini campaigns jow?
>>
>>610963
Only Augustus I thought
>>
>>610477
I like the mini campaign where I can play Cleopatra, and I suppose main campaign is ok too.
Too bad combat is just not as good for me for some reason. I thin no generalness armies and easy replenishment were bad decisions, they make battles feel trivial too much.
AI flips out in sieges too.
>>611006
I wanted to try out DEI on Augustus, but sadly family trees were broken and that triggered my autism too much.
>>
>>611193
>generalless armies are bad
This is the first time i've read this.
>>
>>611221
>This is the first time i've read this.
Really? Its one of the main complaints people who have played the older titles have about nu total war. Personally dont mind and dont find it such a big deal.
>>
File: twsemi.jpg (506 KB, 1920x1080)
506 KB
506 KB JPG
>>610319
What units were you using against the Huns, the cheapest melee cavalry?
I was planning on going cav heavy but it seems like it's not as great as in other titles, then i noticed they had a 45 armor infantry unit for 75 upkeep so that's pretty much all i've been using while migrating.
The campaign is turning into a bit of a meme.
By the time i reached Africa/Arabia Semitic paganism had declined so much that i couldn't convert to it right away then bail.
I had to take over all settlements in Arabia Felix, demolish all religious buildings and wait for local traditions to tick it up to 33% so that i can convert.
>tfw people send in priests trying to steer it back towards judaism
I've settled in iberia before and since i'm playing with a no climate change mod i thought i might try settling in hungary and carve my way up to the baltic sea or something.
i'm not sure how it works exactly but i'm gonna try to abuse the "great migration" bonus to get a ton of growth resettling and abandoning on the way back up by.
>>
File: 20210525145134_1.jpg (380 KB, 1920x1080)
380 KB
380 KB JPG
Ulfric Stormcloak along with the Dragonborn defending a bridge from Force of The Great House Redoran
>>
>>611193
>I thin no generalness armies and easy replenishment were bad decisions, they make battles feel trivial too much.
>AI flips out in sieges too.
Cant argue with that desu. Late game just becomes a race of stacking 5-6 high tier armies and throwing them at the enemy
>>
File: hastati.jpg (236 KB, 441x850)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
found this interesting realistic depiction of roman hastati, is there any mod that plans on doing le autistic realism like EB for Total War remastered? all of the mdos atm are either really small or on a very early buggy stage
>>
>>611682
>le autistic realism like EB
lol no. at best we are getting is RTR.
>>
>>611688
but RTR is still quite buggy right? even the first triumvirate crashes for me in certain cases. any good crash-free mods atm?
>>
>>611682
you mean realistic depiction of one possible roman hastatus circa the very, very early years of the republic
>>
VGH... MY GLORIOUS IBERIAN ANCESTORS... WHEN WILL C.A. DEPICT THEM PROPERLY...
>>
>>611704
>vamanos, mi turdulos!
lmao
>>
>>611711
your spanish is all fucked up, plus their language sounded more similar to basque than to spanish/latin
>>
>>609673

Shame they made for such small provinces, especially when city battles were piddly ass forts. It's a nice map and you could easily fit at least 4-5 cities in Spain.

>Savoy, lombardy, liguria
>1 province for france
God what the fuck were they thinking
>>
Got a shogun 2 question. Never played a campaign long enough to get realm divide. If I have vassals will they betray me when it happens? I've been playing as Tokugawa and I've essentially surrounded my territories with vassals to act as a buffer zone, allowing me to build tall. Individually they are weak, united they are still quite weak. Some of them love me, some of them hate me and most of them hate each other.
>>
>>611711
is that supposed to be spanish?
>>
>>611717
did that map really called the vascones celtic? lol
>>
>>611221
I said '' no generalless armies'', as in, no option to not have them leading the army.
>>611602
Yeah, and factions in the family or how are they called also act weird, like your heir might just revolt for no reason (as they stand to inherit anyway), makes no sense and you just have to throw money at them ever so often.
>>
>>611717
>sexs
>>
>>612162
yes vassals dont give a fuck about you. diplomacy is basically a joke in that game. especially if you play on legendary or very hard. had it happen to myself when playing as the takeda, had a lot of vassals to the north who just instantly betrayed me once realm divide hit
>>
>>612218
damn, at least they aren't a threat to me. I have 7 of them
>>
>>612213
aah oopsies I read that wrong.
>>
>>611699
>any good crash-free mods atm?
no youre going to have to wait a bit
>>
>>611699
>any good crash-free mods atm
you're asking for the impossible, anon.
>>
File: 2021-04-23_19-08-49.png (3.83 MB, 1920x1080)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB PNG
these retard fights end up being pivotal for holding important parts of your empire
>>
>>611682
guy look like Iberian infantryman
>>
>>612707
Siege battles are so annoying, but so fun. Fighting enemies with a meagre force of spearmanii militia and cavalrymen who outnumber you 2-1 and winning because the AI is retarded is super fun.
>>
File: 9lEHdk3.jpg (1.64 MB, 1920x1080)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
mfw the turbo chad general faction heir was waiting for me to siege their last city, but I found them first with barbarian cav
>>
>>607989
It's very accurate. Rome didn't just go poof, its military and political institutions decayed until it could no longer maintain territorial integrity, then all of its territories started splintering off into their own independent entities and one by one ended up conquered by migrating barbarians. Rome itself persisted for almost a hundred years after what you would probably call the end of the empire but basically had no power or influence over its former territory through that period.

The problem in Attila is that splinter factions have different AI from the playable factions and basically don't do anything most of the time, but as the campaign progresses and playable factions get culled, more and more of the remaining territories just end up with those sandbagging splintergroups that don't do anything. I wish there was a mod to give them the standard AI.
>>
>>
>>609586
Last time I played Alans I settled the ERE's island chain just off the coast of Anatolia and made a naval empire of horseniggers. Ended up being pretty fun because I could expand, develop an economy and fight basically every major faction on the map while always keeping a major power as a buffer between my territory and the huns.
>>
>>612715
i assume you say that because of the white clothes and the chestplate
that chestplate thing was quite common in the early republic and also among other barbarians afaik
and white clothes were the most common in roman troops themselves i think, instead of red
we cant know for sure because clothes and wooden shields dont last through millenia
>>
>>612913
>romans were just hellenized iberocelts
>>
>>612917
Rome made heavy use of celtic mercenaries throughout history and even borrowed technology from them. And iberian auxiliaries became a central part of the army after the second punic war. So you're not really that far off.

Romans were just italian barbarians LARPing as greeks while being the town bike for every neighbouring barbarian culture.
>>
>>612162
90% of the time they will betray you, however they can still be useful in that they always accept trade agreements and having at least one adds to your Daimyo's honor, which has a knock-on effect elsewhere. After Realm Divide begins, new vassals you make will tend to be more loyal, but just have a dumb habit of going to war against each other, forcing you to pick between them.
>>
>>612917
ehhhh kinda?
the roman door-shaped shield is theorized to have developed in northern italy celtic tribes in 7th century BC
roman monarchy also likely copied strategies from the greeks who were settled in southern italy
Gladius ofc was iberian, but thats much later. Before that, each hastati had to provide his own sword, so it could vary
>>
>>612917
Etruscans weren't Indo-European. Romans were influenced most by them, and then in order of importance by

Greeks
Samnites
Celts
Iberians
Phoenicians
Persians
>>
>>611263
Just used the anti cav, cav and whatever lancers they get. Don't upgrade your units too much because upkeep becomes a massive bitch . And i think those same inf.
>>
I fucking hate agents in shogun.
>>
Does the Imperial palace that you need to build to trigger the Marian reform have to be in the Italian peninsula or just in your faction's capital? I can't get Carthage's growth under control by any means and I'm thinking of moving my cap there just for the PO bonus.
>>
>>613177
Dont forget that Etruscans had a heavy greek influence too, Rome in the very early days was only a settlement because it lay on a north-south trade route between the Etruscans and Magna Graecia. Even though Etruscans spoke a non IE language and may have possibly come from anatolia their gods closely resembled the greeks as well because of contact with them
>>
>>613274
et RUS can were Slavic
>>
>>613259
Nice undefended city in the heart of your mainland. Would be a real shame if I invited a rebellion while killing 3 of the Shinobi you send after me.
>t. Shinsengumi
>>
>>612913
Pectorals were a major 5th-3rd century Italian kinda armor. You had a single disc that was barely armor (Villanovian warrior with the kettle hat like helmet), triple disc popularly associated with samnites, 'anatomical pectoral' (Basically a shrunken muscled cuirass that didnt' cover the entire body), the cardiophylax the Romans used that was even smaller.plainer.

Funny thing for me is you'd think that shit was garbage protection. Then you look at a properly sized plate carrier and how little of the chest it actually protects unless you get side attachments. At best it's like the anatomical pectorals, at worst they were about as big as a Roman/Iberian disc/pectoral.

I wanna do an AE campaign as the Turdetani since I want a small and cozy campaign and I like the iberians but my autism has gotten the better of me and I've begun work on trying to fix some of the visuals in the East. AE did a great job on the Romans and Hellenes, looks like a decent job on the Barbarians but the Persians and Steppe guys are a bit ehhh for me.
>>
never done a germanic horde campaign in Attila, any particular one of them good?
>>
>>613503
Ostrogoths are the closest thing to playing Rome without making it a challenge campaign. They can recruit roman units from roman buildings you capture (though they only get about the first half of the WRE tech tree to play with) and get roman units in their garrisons for free (which makes them the only germanic faction that doesn't have to pay out the ass to convert the main settlement structure just to get a garrison). They also have a really well-rounded roster with elite pikes, elite archers, good cavalry, good offensive infantry and so on. They start on the ERE's border so you're in a great position to sweep in and just eat one of the roman empires from within to make that your new home.

Alans are the most unique horde because they got their roster revamped as a freeLC. They have almost no infantry but instead have the largest cavalry roster in the game and have some unique things like defensive spear-cavs with expert charge defense and super durable cataphracts with no charge bonus that serve as frontline tanks (and change into shock infantry when dismounted). The unique all-cav roster makes their battles interesting but they have some roster bugs (units become inaccessible when you upgrade buildings, etc.) and balance issues (units get worse when upgraded) that can make them a little weird on the campaign map.

That's about it. Vandals have a mostly generic roster with a bunch of unique naval units, but ironically their naval units are worse/less cost effective than generic ones so they don't really do "naval specialist" properly. Visigoths are just Ostrogoths with a smaller roster and no roman units. Suebi's roster is balanced really poorly and their unique units are all downgrades over generic germanic equivalents so the only interesting thing about them is the fact that they start in the middle of rome.

But remember that ANY germanic/nordic/rus faction can abandon their settlement turn 1 and play as a horde, so just pick a roster you like.
>>
what are the closest thing to Achamenid Persia in the base game Rome Total War?
>Armenia
>Pontus
>Parthia
its to make a mod
>>
>>613695
>shitting on suebi
They're cool. Did you see that 35% army upkeep reduction if you've sacked a settlement within the last 10 turns?
Makes me want to play them again to be desu with you.
>just pick a roster you like
This, anyone should do, just remember to bring some armor piercing units if you're gonna fight romans.
>>
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
>>
>>613805
Armour piercing is a really overrated stat. Flanking bonuses are added as AP damage, as are charge bonuses. This means a unit using swords that charges with a decent CB (or even better, rear charges) will deal much more damage to an armoured target than a unit with axes/analogous AP weapon but a smaller charge bonus. This is (one of) the reasons it's typically more efficient to just use beefy infantry to pin and then charge cycle with your basic cavalry. Between charge bonus and physics damage they'll just melt even the most armoured, durable infantry in seconds and kill things faster and more efficiently than any dismounted unit could.

Base Attila's balance is kind of shitty like that. Infantry don't really matter outside of being screens for your cavalry and pinning for your cavalry, and cav stats barely matter outside of cav vs cav fights because even the shittiest basic cavalry (like scout equites) are more than enough to slaughter thousands of the best infantry in the game.

The Charlamagne dlc tweaked physics interactions to make cavalry less completely and utterly dominant but for the most part most of the unit variety in base attila is illusory because it has such a simple and ironclad Rock-paper-scissors.
>>
>>613785
actually there's a mod just for you bro, achaemenids from alexander dlc in main campaign

https://www.moddb.com/mods/vanilla-persia-mod
>>
>>613854
this will be cool to look at, but i want to do this for Remastered
>>
>>613857
people actually prefer remaster to the original? kinda yikes
>>
>>613868
Original barely runs on modern machines and its UI has not aged well. I don't know why the remaster triggers so many people when it literally gives you an option to disable everything different from original. There's literally nothing to be a "change = bad" autist about yet you fucks still somehow found a way.
>>
>>613868
why would i make mods for the original, wich had 16 years of much better modders than me and almost all fields covered already?
>>
>>613872
you're the one typing like a triggered bitch, show us your pussy
>>613888
one thing: SOUL
>>
>>613872
there's no option to bring back the soul sweetie :)
>>
>>613902
Heres hoping for the mod that brings back old chunky 2004 3D models
>>
>>613905
god I hope so
>>
>>613868
retard
>>
>>613817
AP is still great if you ever want to auto resolve against garrisons.
How do you feel about archers and skirmishers in Attila?
>>
>>613919
yes anon! consume more low effort trash by our small family company! don't forget to post your epic campaign on our reddit!
>>
>>613926
They're very strong obviously. In the context of Attila's actual balance, where cavalry dominate and warp the game around them, ranged units are almost perfectly balanced. They're an imminent threat to cavs and thus shape the battlefield around them. Skirmishers having bonus vs cavalry on their projectiles makes them uniquely threatening in exchange for their low range and friendly fire means you have to do more than just point and shoot.

If I had to be critical:
Missile block chance being a hidden stat is terrible because it makes it unclear what shielded units are good for tanking ranged fire and screening, and which ones have only superficial protection.
Ranged cavs shouldn't have so much ammo AND be faster than light melee cavalry, and giving literally every ranged cav parthian shot was lazy. The standard answer to ranged cavalry is just to run them out of ammo, which is boring and uninteractive but the game doesn't really present you with any other viable option
Similarly, infantry missile units having the same movement speed as light melee infantry seemed like a poor choice. It makes ambushing units like Preventores kind of worthless and forces you to use cavalry to actually kill ranged units--and it doesn't really make sense for undisciplined levy archers to move in formation as quickly and efficiently as highly trained scouts.
Cavalry with high missile block chance was a poor choice because it just lets you pay to trivialize ranged threats. It's especially stupid when you have things like those white hun archers with tower shields because dlc.

Overall I think ranged units were implemented better in Attila than in earlier and later TW games. I liked that missile block chance made them generally not threatening as a first-strike force against infantry but still allowed them to be incredibly threatening when flanking. FF makes you think about positioning and their high lethality vs cavalry made battles fast paced and highly mobile, which was good.
>>
File: bow.jpg (47 KB, 450x285)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>613949
>mfw i realized arrows are tiny spears, making archers super effective against cavalry
>>
File: cursed.png (919 KB, 1042x457)
919 KB
919 KB PNG
very cool
>>
I wish that
a) Atilla didn't lag so much
b) 1212 mod could alter map borders
>>
>>613872
>UI has not aged well
the new UI in remaster is hot garbage tho, much worse than original
the only not optional thing they changed
>>
>>616019
i honestly have no idea why they thought the UI change was a good idea. i dont mind the "mobile" look, but im frustrated because everything is hidden behind 2-3 clicks. its so shit.
>>
>>
>>614449
I had Marathas take St. Petersburg for some reason in my Prussia game.
>>
>>616017
I wish Attila could map edit, as that alone is what keeps a lot of mods from taking off. It would be so fucking cool to have the Indus river at least, or India at a whole. If not even make new provinces, just shuffle existing ones about. It's a waste to have low pop cities in the middle of Arabia when you could use them for Bactria or Norway.
>>
>>616697
Have any of the games post-attila been map-moddable? As far as I understand, you can't mess with Attila's because the AI's pathing is hardcoded and it breaks if you change anything, but as far as I know AI pathing is still handled the same as late as Troy and 3k.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_B24OtLWn4
did Rome Remastered get rushed because of WH ?
>>
>>616858
Is this dude 12 years old? How can you stand watching this video?
>>
>>616859
hes uuuh, 20 i think
why do you say that? he might be dumb, sure
>>
>>616858
wasn't it outsourced?
>>
>>616858
Rome Remastered was by a different studio.
>>
>>616704
I don't believe anyone's tried.
>>
>>613868
The original runs at like 2 fps on newer laptops
>>
>>617049
not true, the lord of the rings guys are making a brand new map. the issue isnt making the map itself, its tying the AI and all the systems to the brand new map they made. its unknown if they will actually be successful making their new map work with the AI.
>>
Damn is it me or does ancient empires have fuck all for unit variety? playing as the illyrian barbs right now and these dudes seriously have maybe 8 faction units.
>>
>>595657
Looks kinda like one of the screens from Caesar IV
>>
>>
File: Perhaps.gif (3.8 MB, 378x159)
3.8 MB
3.8 MB GIF
>>
>>617235
did they also change intro audio?
>>
File: pls.png (452 KB, 583x466)
452 KB
452 KB PNG
Thank you, mods
>>
>>614449
>
What mod?
>>
File: image0.jpg (151 KB, 804x605)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
Mods for this feel?
>>617609
really dislike how Shogun 2 would just insta-spawn armies towards the late game to make it more "challenging", i think i never actually beat it because of that, while i beat Rome 1 and med 2 dozens of times
>>
>>617737
They learn from Empire. And because Shogun AI was practically the same, they polished it around it. Battlefields were simplified(no more walls with AI camping behind them or buildings), sieges were better with castles on the hill(Empire could use them with star forts and extra gun placements and better garrisons). Campaign map was setup for corridors so AI could fuck up less and it aggression was somewhat straighten. Still AI was bad so it needed extra bonuses. I think Shogun 2 was first game where AI outright cheat.(like before AI got extra cash and some bonus stats but here it could pull armies and upgrading units by pure magic).
>>
>>617750
did the shogun 2 AI cheat on normal difficulty too?
>>
>>617599
Yea they redid all the intros with a new guy.
>>
>>617759
dunno
>>
>>617646
Empire TW with DarthMod
>>
>>617737
While this indeed annoying, my issue isn't that, it's the agents: the mod give generals and agents full skill points meaning everything get maxed out eventually, in turn meaning your generla will get gangbanged by ninjas and metsukes.
Unless I'm blind and retarded I don't think it was in the description.
Shit's retarded anyway it crank everythings up to fucking eleven, not just agents.
>>
>>617889
>bloatmod
>>
How do you guys feel about Troy? Is it underrated because of how its free? I heard it uses pretty much the same system from Warhammer games, but i cant stand the warhammer games, would I like troy ?
>>
>>618523
I think the battles in Troy are pretty terrible.
>>
>>618523
Barely played but seemed very warhammeresque to me fampai.
>>
>>618531
>>618530
you played it recently or at launch?
>>
>>617815
Hmm, probably a mistake, those intros were iconic, can't top them.
>>
>>618523
Played recently. It's kinda fun but because it uses the warhammer engine, battles are floaty and arcady, lacking impact. Units don't form battle lines like in older historical TW games, they just kinda blob up. It very much feels like standard RTS battles with blobs of units instead of individuals. Also heroes, while a fun concept, are not balanced at all and make the AI behave retardedly.

But my main gripe with it is the strategic map. It's extremely pared down and oversimplified and that makes it kind of tedious to play. There's nothing interesting to manage, it's just straightfoward "build as fast as resources allow" tempered by a really stupid army limit mechanic that punishes your economy for not doomstacking.

It's not a terrible game but there's very little of what I like about TW games in it. I played a couple campaigns of it at launch, and another couple after the most recent patch (including the dlc factions) and then went back to Attila.
>>
>>619106
>Units don't form battle lines like in older historical TW games, they just kinda blob up
TBF, battle lines weren't a thing in that part of the world until near the end of the bronze age. The war for Troy the myth is based on was well into the bronze age.
>>
>at war with a faction, early campaign
>they're holed up in their last stronghold
>a 20-stack with a sizable garrison
>I can only afford one army and am outnumbered
What's your strategy for dealing with this situation? Trying an ambush? Prolonged siege? Temporarily run in the red to fund additional troops? Fight a decidedly uphill battle?
>>
>>619390
is the stack sitting inside the city?
>>
>>619405
Yeah. I mean this isn't happening to me currently, it's just a common thing that seems to happen to me. Especially when I'm fighting a defensive, passive faction like minor faction dawi.
I'm just curious about anons' general strategy in this sort of situation.
>>
>>619480
get another stack and go in the red for a couple turns, then disband stack.
>>
>>619390
Depending on the game you can sometimes bait the stack out of their stronghold by just putting an army near it. They'll see that they outnumber you and can initiate combat with the garrison reinforcing and will take the bait. Winning a field battle when balance of power favours the AI is usually pretty doable and will net fewer losses than trying to fight an uphill siege battle.

Otherwise you just back off and leave them. The territory isn't worth the effort until you can afford a second stack and they probably won't become a threat to you if left alone so you can just expand elsewhere and clean them up when a stack of earlygame units isn't as much of an endeavor to fight
>>
>>617815
Why does every single studio that does a remaster (AoE2 being another example) feel the need to revoice fucking everything, jesus. People are already playing this to get a nostalgic experience with some new graphics, voice acting is the one of the most memorable but least esssential parts of the game.
>>
>>619106

I love the Iliadic period but I just don't have a strong push to play it. I really think Sagas are ultimately just a waste of time unless it's done as a DLC project for an existing game, and even then the only Sagas I liked are Napoleon and FOTS, the former having a proper pseudo-grand campaign map and the latter just being good gunpowder as a Vicky TW would have been FOTS but superior.
>>
>>619598
>I really think Sagas are ultimately just a waste of time
only because for whatever reason, they decided to do boneheaded retard shit every single time with them.
>attila shit performance somehow worse than rome 2
>tob retarded campaign overhauls when it literally just needed to be attila but british isles
>troy mix of history and fantasy and also full of retard ideas
>>
>>619610
Attila isn't a saga game. It's a mainline title that just happens to run like shit.
>>
>>619802
i consider it a title saga. it essentially reuses all the same assets and shit, with finetuning features but its pretty much an improved rome 2. just like napoleon was to empire or FOTS was to shogun 2.
>>
>>618670
I played it at launch. They might have improved it since then but the game is so boring that I'm not going to bother reinstalling it.
>>
>>619562
Licensing issues maybe? Original voice acotrs may have been contracted to do audio for X game, which means they can't just reuse his audio for X HD REMASTER.
>>
>>619882
Yeah, that's probably it.
>>
>>619802
CA renaming Napoleon or FOTS a saga was clearly a branding choice, and demonstrates they are fluid with the definition but I think the best metric is what they described they consider in a saga, which I have trouble remembering exactly but it was something like:
>Focused geography
>Focused time period
>Character driven
>Pivotal seismic moment in history, not a long arc of it.
Where it gets contentious is you could argue that Shogun 2, FOTS, even three kingdoms are saga games.

>>619610
I think Sagas suffer because they fail to recognize the appeal of total war being wide conquest, not provincial affairs. It'd be like Paradox releasing Imperator Rome where you manage an imperial province in the 1st and 2nd century AD. Not conquer more territory, no you just manage existing territory. Or a Victoria GSG that takes place entirely in Europe - No russia, just Europe. Had Troy been the Bronze Age Collapse it could have sold more. Or had troy been full mythology but just the Aegean it would have done great - also don't give it for free on release. For fuck's sake the DLC writes itself and would have been a modern day Age of Mythology mega-hit.
>Poisedon DLC where you get a Pegasus mount for your heroes who swear to Poisedon, the ability to recruit an actual minotaur, earthquake abilities and sea monsters
>Apollo DLC where you get plague-arrows, shepherd/herdsmen skirmisher units, an Asclepius hero who can heal your troops
>Certain gods are just off-screen support while other gods like Ares will fight for you on the battlefield.

They are full on Blizzard tier with how much they're cocking up their design decisions. Their successes this decade have been Rome2 (in initial sales, not actual result), 3K (which they've now fucked up), and Warhammer. TOB/Attila/Troy/DLC have all been busts.
>>
Help im getting my shit kicked in by cartheginians as the sardinian tribes.
How do I cope with this ?
>>
Is it correct to assume that the 1st half of the 2nd century AD was the highest quality of living ever achieved by humanity in Europe and the mediterranean region at the time? i heard something like that in a talk about the "good emperors" of Rome
>>620925
you gotta learn to accept a loss, move back and get strong to fight another day
>>
>>620965
It's not really correct to assume much about the ancient world. We infer a terrible large amount of information but the 'narratives' we craft about ancient rome are based more on their writing than archeological evidence, and writing isn't a reliable source.

We love glorifying rome but the reality is often far less glorious. The reality of living in the roman empire involved far more pederasty, slavery and dying of plagues than it's cool to admit. That, and all rich folks going insane and dying of lead poisoning.

"The Five Good Emperors" are remembered as such not because they were really, really good, but because almost every other emperor was either hilariously, disasterously incompetent or a usurper that lasted a few months. The 5 good emperors marked one of the few periods of stability in the empire's history where it wasn't constantly tearing itself apart in civil wars, in danger of losing border territory to rebellion from horribly oppressed and downtrodden locals or suffering some kind of domestic crisis from catastrophic mismanagement. Rome had like 700 years of history and only functioned properly for about 100 of them.
>>
>>621007
well the woman i heard in the talk said that it certainly reached the peak of living conditions around the years before the antoninus plague
>>
>>621007
better to have a lot of surviving writing than some pots lamo
>>
>>621014
>dear rome,
>we are the best!
>t. rome
Imagine someone going through /vst/ archives 2000 years from now to determine what life was like in the year 2021. This is why we take writing with a grain of salt and rely on archeological evidence to build our understanding of ancient cultures. Archeology tells us Troy may have really existed in some form. Writing tells us its citizens had superpowers.
>>
>>617599
The only ones they changed the audio were for Scipii and Carthage iirc, they added new ones like Armenia, Numidia, Scythia and Spain.
>>
>>621016
>Writing tells us its citizens had superpowers.
they did retard look it up
>>
>>621017
Kinda sad that Macedon just uses the same one as Greece. Like, I get why, but it's still disappointing.
>>
>>621023
Macedon and the Seleucids
>>
>>621024
I can honestly say I've never bothered to play the Seleucids.
>>
File: q81s85uw63z61.png (3.18 MB, 1952x3956)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB PNG
Ive been daydreaming about doing a mod about the 2nd century AD and wondering about the roman army of the time ive researched the following "eras" of the roman army (approximated)
>800 BC - 578 BC: Tribal forces, working more like Warriors than soldiers, similar to barbarians
>6th c. BC: Etruscan Hoplite model
>5th - 2nd c. BC: Manipular Legion (early RTW era)
>1st c. BC - 3rd c. AD: Marian Legions (late RTW era)
>late 3rd c. onwards: Limitanei and Comitatenses (Barbarian Invasion era)
>>
i spent so much fucking time just to figure out how to add a copypaste unit into the game, this is why i cant into programming
>>
>>620152
Fall of the Samurai is no smaller or more focused than vanilla S2. Sure, the clock is shrunk down to cover a smaller number of years, but that's about it. Only reason is labelled a saga is because all the actual saga titles have bombed.
>>
>>621078
when i think saga, i think reused assets and basically the same game except for a period shift and some refined mechanics. so pretty much nappy attila fots. they are a bigger than DLC campaigns and sold separately but otherwise the same game.
>>
>>621081
2.0 expansions have been a thing for a long time, even if they've only (relatively) recently become standalone. The actual saga titles tend to be more independent than the older expansions. ToB and Troy have a lot more unique stuff than any of the older standalone expansions. But I do get your point. I guess I'm just too cynical about CA.
>>
>>621089
>2.0 expansions have been a thing for a long time
lol yea true, i guess CA just found a hip new branding name to sell the customers 1.5 version of their latest fantasy/historical game.
>>
>>621092
I guess it annoys because the retroactive saga titling is clearly just them robbing the prestige of their past to jack up their modern failures.
>>
>>621094
>buy expansion 10 years ago
>pretty good
>fast forward to now
>company is more greedy than ever
>start going over past expansions and branding them as a new game
>this somehow gives them the right to remove an expansion that you bought without refunding you at all
>forced to buy it again as a new game if I want to play it
Whoever runs CA deserves to be shot.
>>
>>621097
>>start going over past expansions and branding them as a new game
>>this somehow gives them the right to remove an expansion that you bought without refunding you at all
wait remind me what this was again?
>>
>>621104
FotS
>>
>>621081
There's a reason why they only rebranded FotS and not RotS.
>>
>>621106
what the fuck? if you bought fots they removed that shit from your steam account? lmao.
>>
>>621028
Are any of the siege weapons worth a damn in field battles, or am I using them badly?
Is the morale boost of building a First Cohort worth it over the increased stats of an Urban Cohort?
>>
>>621017
>The only ones they changed the audio were for Scipii
But it was the best one...
>>
>>621135
Onagers are GOAT for enraging elephants and chariots (yes), blowing up densely packed infantry formations and clearing out chokepoints in a city's walls. Dunno about the First Cohort, though.
>>
>>621032
what unit?
>>
>>621135
first cohort is also extra large and have more troops
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16 KB, 480x360)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>621032
To be fair the process is very convoluded, and it gets worse in warscape.

>>621028
I'll be honest with you that the 2nd century is kind of a nothingburger for Rome compared to the 3rd or the 1st until you get to the Macaroni (Marcomanni) wars at the end of the 2nd century. You're basically dealing with the 1st century AD Roman army with just a little bit of additions along the edges perhaps. That said yeah, you have the general thrust of it, with the slight adjustment of:

>6th century to 4th century BC - Hoplite model
The Servian Army Model almost perfectly follows what we see on a Veneti artifact, so it seems like this may have been a wider Northern Italian system. This being:
>1st class - hoplite (We see it on the Veneti artifact)
>2nd class - scutum bearing spearman with greaves and a helmet (We don't see greaves but we see 2 types of scutum bearers, one I think whose helmet is the same as the hoplite, one who has a shitty little leather and disk helmet)
>3rd class - scutum with no greaves but helmet (We see the guy with the shitty helmet)
>4th class - skirmisher. (We don't see him. We do see an axeman, which might just be their version of a Fasces)
>5th class - slings and stones

Then according to Livy I think in the 4th century you see a transition to the early RTW/EB1 camillian system.

There is something of an intermediate system in the 3rd century to 4th before the Comitatenses/Limitanei really solidify but it's more ambiguous and ultimately just ersatz solutions of using Vexillationes or bits and pieces of a legion/cohort instead of the entire legion transfering.
>>
>>621135
Onagers will rarely kill their worth in enemy infantry but they have strategic value doing things like sniping chariots or other large targets. It varies by game, like Large Onagers in Attila are literally civil war-era artillery in ancient rome and they're ridiculously OP whereas the basic stuff in Rome remastered and Rome 2 are more modest and usually not all that good outside of busting walls/towers and sniping large, high-value targets. The AI is dumb and will often let you snipe their general or other elite cavalry with siege weapons even though a human player would be able to micro and just dodge them.
>>
>>621135
they're terrible if only because they add another 5 turns to every military campaign due to their slow movement.
>>
>>621345
>that image
>>
>>621330
want to make the general's bodyguard a recruitable elite cav instead of a literal general you recruit
>>
>>621425
easy
5min of work
Og or remaster?
and what unit for what faction?
>>
>>621434
remaster
barbarian general's bodyguards recruitable for every barbarian faction
this is my attempt wich crashes on TWR startup
https://files.catbox.moe/7jxo7w.zip
>Ctrl + F: NO GENERAL
>>
>>621122
They merged FoTs and Shogun 2 into the same application years earlier, so anyone who owned only FoTs should have got Shogun 2 when they did that Saga bullshit.
>>
>>621446
>remaster
you need to make it for two versions for og and feral remaster
they need to be identical
also I don't have remaster
>>
File: heart.png (22 KB, 696x608)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
this is my favorite videogame general right now
love you guys
>>
>>621472
same love you too bb :)
>>
File: Hyooooo.jpg (167 KB, 700x1137)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
Feeling like some S2.
Protips for the stikky ikki clan?
>>
File: romanapu.png (76 KB, 982x1274)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
Total War Rome patch just dropped
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-rome-remastered-patch-2-0-1-notes/
Also theres a bug regarding generals it seems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIFt4RJB-dY
>>621499
>protips
arent all factions the same in S2 ? i dont think you need any special advice, cant remember
>>
>>621499
>Ikko Ikki
Use your monks to cause uprisings all over the place and swarm the enemy with millions of peasants.
>>
Crashed during my first battle, i remember shogun being slow but not unstable, guess i'll try dx9 mode istead.
>>621533
Ikko ikki starts as a different religion and the unit sizes seem larger with ronin units instead of samurai, though still similar they would be fairly unique.
>>621536
Is it a mistake to go unga bunga conquerer mode? Should i take it slow?
>>
>>621372
Not in the 1st Rome since cities tend to be pretty densely packed, and the extra turn or two pays for itself since you can assault a settlement right away or take it over with far less casualties.
>>
>>621533
damn, this remaster is going to get fully finished in like 2 years. a month and some change for a patch thats has like 5 bug fixes???????
>>
>>621749
hey... maybe they eventually fix the pathfinding for cities...
>>
>>621533
glad i didn't bought into the hype
>>
>>621533
>double click
>unit not running
same happen in original version
>>
File: 20200619230716_1.jpg (550 KB, 1920x1080)
550 KB
550 KB JPG
Just Cleopatra and Antonius. ugh what could have been...
>>
>>622140
Is this on Fri? Wtf happened
>>
>>622163
DEI*
>>
are any of the rome 2 DLC even worth fucking with?
>>
>>622178
No.
>>
>>621472
>Videogame general
Please don't say that, anon. I don't want /vst/ threads to devolve into anything approaching /vg/
I still love you guys, though.

>>622178
You have all the Rome 2 DLC already installed. Just get CreamAPI to unlock them for free.
>>
>>622427
but they are generals especially when the general in vg is warham now.
>>
>>622712
This may be a bit pedantic, but general refers to a very specific type of long-term, recurring thread, generally featuring "stickies" at the beginning and linking to the previous thread. Plus, they are technically banned on /vst/

Really, I just don't want any of the autism that comes with general threads, even if /vst/ gets recurring threads about games.
>>
Remastered is not just an improved in all aspects original which should be considered as the only true way to play RTW. It's a completely different game, with completely different vibe, graphical and gameplay experience, and it's release doesn't mean that the original RTW is outdated and obsolete. In fact it's the opposite. Original RTW is the game that built this community, out from nothing, 14 years after release, when nobody expected any modding still happening, and original RTW still rocks. It's not only more modder-friendly framework, this game has a soul and many players and modders won't abandon it in favor of the remaster.

I still hope to see some day something different than a typical "do not like - do not play" approach to us old school players and modders of Total War from the company that once captured our interest and loyalty. I guess I'm strangely optimistic considering the current situation and facts. But I still do believe in a good will of certain people.
>>
Is Warhammer even worth over $160? I've been playing Total War for years and played Fantasy/Age of Shitmar and 40k but CA is kinda fucking gay with their dlc policy basically mirroring Paradox.
>>
Never pay more than $20 1990 dollars for a game ($40 current dollars)
>>
File: 20200531075143_1.jpg (1.05 MB, 2560x1440)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>595798
visigoths or saxons are great
>>
Khorne roster and the Beastmen rework being announced in three hours
Are you guys excited for Beastmen vs Dawi?
>>
>>623093
Buy Warhammer 1+2 on sale. CA has all the DLC installed on the game (and AI can even use units from DLC you can't pay for), so just get CreamAPI and pirate the DLC like it was a Paradox game.
>>
>>623338
based
>>
Came back to the TWW2 for the first time since the godawful Warden and Paunch patch and did a Welf campaign. A lot of fun, it extraordinarily easy to complete the short campaign on VH/VH/VH. Don’t have the new dlc, but got a lot of the units through confederating. Anyway they’re a fun army so I’m glad their campaign isn’t shit anymore.

>>623093
No it’s not. The good news is you don’t need to buy dlc you don’t want because it will still be in the game for you to play against. The bad news is the DLC is always a two faction bundle for unit/lord packs so you can just cheaply buy stuff for faction you want. Although you can always pirate stuff.
>>
i dont know how to push myself to do more modding. I have so many ideas but just adding a copypaste unit into the game seems like such a chore... its so annoying when you find one thing thats specifically problematic to mod
>>
File: 20210604084555_1.jpg (49 KB, 489x336)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
what does Scored Resolution do? How does it work?

Also anyone wanna play an online battle in rome remastered? im the only one up in Europe it seems.
>>
>>624659
Don't burn yourself out doing too much. Recipe for disaster. Release small shit, build up.

That said yeah making new unit entries is a bitch. So many tables to have to cover. Try and find a guide of which you have to do.
>>
File: 20210604085003_1.jpg (150 KB, 1097x435)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
cant get over how fucking generic all these new unit cards look. plus they look like fucking playdoh
>>
>>622165
No, not DEI, I wanted to play it on DEI but DEI fucks up family trees on Imperator Augustus campaign.
>>
File: 20210606111152_1.jpg (745 KB, 1920x1080)
745 KB
745 KB JPG
Just created a settlement in northern spain so that it doesnt feel so empty, and next ill do one in southern aquitania for that region too.
Do you guys think i should add one around here too? it feels very empty.
one criticism of the iberian peninsula in this game is how fucking wide it is and how it takes forever to get anywhere from a city
>>
>>628508
You'd need to look up what important cities or tribes were to figure out one to add, but looking at that map right now I see 7 settlements?

I'd say one in the circled area, maybe one in southern Portugal if there was a historical city or tribe of consequence there and you'd be good to go.

God it makes me fucking mad we can't add settlements in R2. I'd begrudgingly be fine if you couldn't edit the map even if I wish you could, but it'd be nice to be able to add settlements like that. I just wish Attila had the settlements in Bactria and Arachosia that R2 had so the East isn't just "go up to the steppe" or go to Mesopotamia.
>>
>>628641
R2 map is so fucking small and crowded already, and if you want to add a single settlement you'd have to make an entire new province because of that shitty system.
>>
>>628508
>Do you guys think i should add one around here too?
Oppidum Salamantica?
>>
>>628641
yeah thats what i do, i even bought a book on ancient iberian warriors. problem is theres a lack of sources for anything that isnt in direct contact with greece or romans, and the only part in contact with greeks and romans in the 3rd century was the eastern coast of spain.

also for some reason basque autism slips into a lot of maps about ancient iberia and the northern part of the maps suffer a lot because of that
>>
>>628809
Neat, what book is it? I always found Iberians to be cool looking warriors/a cool theatre of war in early antiquity.
>>
>>629602
Guerreros de la Antigua Iberia, from Desperta Ferro
its more of a compilation of small articles about specific subjects
>War in the western mediterranean
>War in the iberian world
>Celtiberians
>Cantabrians and Asturii
>The Wild West: Vacceans, lusitanians and vettonians
>Balearic Slingers
>Iberians in the Legions
etc
its only in spanish tho
>>
>>629602
ironically i literally dread going to iberia in ancient games. I have it in my mind that to stand a chance in the ancient world, you need to own one of the four peninsulas before embarking elsewhere, i.e., one of:

Iberia
Italia
Grecia
Anatolia

and iberia is hardly ever worth it. I guess it's just so barbaric compared to the others. At least rome2/DEI made them interesting to fight.
>>
>>630307
>ironically i literally dread going to iberia in ancient games.
in Rome 1 they have mines in almost every province afaik so its not so bad to capture, if you happen to have an army nearby.
of course actually moving inland or from the coastal provinces fucking sucks and takes a fuckload of turns so thats kinda fucked yeah. Id say iberia could use 1-3 new provinces in Rome Total War, or could be made a smaller peninsula so that travel times arent so absurdly high.
>>
>>597525
>>601837
Base Attila Minor religions. The most obscure religion in the game.
>>
>>630712
Can you make it majority one?
>>
>Attila
Why does this game still runs like shit?
>>
>>631104
Because CA are still lazy pieces of shit who refuse to optimize it.
>>
>>631104
Because they never fixed it. It runs relatively fine on my AMD card by some random stroke of luck but if it doesn't run well on yours the only solution is to do the ToB optimization hack.
>>
>>630307

I liked Mediterranean campaigns in general in Total wars. Iberia and Anatolia I figure make sense to be backwaters outside of their coastal areas (and with Anatolia only the West and north coast). I also think it pays to have it take a long time to traverse because it's such rugged terrain.

>>631209
What is that hack anyway? Problem is I don' want to buy ToB, though my Attila already runs okay-ish.
>>
>>631210
There's a pastebin floating around but I don't have it bookmarked. Basically ToB is literally just an Attila DLC they sold as a standalone because Attila didn't sell enough copies to be worth another campaign expansion. You can copy-paste certain dll files from ToB into Attila, overwriting the Attila equivalents. Their contents will be almost entirely the same, so Attila's functions won't be affected at all, but the one difference is that ToB's includes optimizations that remove all of the performance issues.

The pastebin, if you can find it (or another anon provides it) has a download hosting just the necessary dll files for those that (wisely) choose not to buy a terrible game just to make an alright game better.
>>
since rome total war remastered removed a lot of arbitrary limits such as nation and unit count and medieval 2 was just a mod of rome 1 does that mean the guys who made divide and conquer can make their trully autistic dream game where every single political entity is playable and has their unique units?
>>
remastered giving me some weird bug in a battle where input starts lagging randomly for a couple of minutes followed by a complete freeze. the battle is a siege battle and not a particularly big one in terms of units. played dozens of battles larger than this in several different campaigns without any performance issues, crashes, or freezes. this happen to anyone before?
>>
>>631351
they havent removed any modding limits yet, and when they do, it will only go up to 32 factions with unit limits being still unknown at this time.
>>
>>631379
Is it happening repeatedly on the same battle every time you reload?
>>
>>631419
happened once, restarted the game, went to the same battle and it happened again. didnt check if it happened in other battles yet
>>
>>631416
huh, did they give a reason for 32?
>>
>>631427
actually it's happening on the campaign map too. fucking great, it's unplayable. oh well, i guess i needed a break from the game anyway.
>>
>>595654
I don't know why but I just can't get into Rome 2 or Attila. Something just doesn't click with me.
>>
>>631427
>>631451
Very strange, I haven't encountered anything like that before so I don't know what to tell you. Check your background stuff, of course but if there's nothing to find there then report the bug and hope it makes it in to their next patch
>>
>>608981
I hope you die of cancer
>>
>>631441
idk, its the limit of med 2 so im guessing its engine related stuff.
>>
>>631223
Yeah, that's my dilemma. Until it's on a sale I have no real reason to buy it, and even then I have little reason to buy it when it's on a sale. For me that's beyond just the game itself I just find the British Isles a really boring theatre. It galls me to see CA not having bothered to make a Near East campaign map DLC for R2 or Attila, especially after I saw the AMAZING work the Age of Bronze people are doing. I last remembered them doing ersatz real kitbashed ugly shit and then I see renders that look like they belonged in Troy TW. The problem is they are stuck with the R2 map which means the tiny ass Middle East. If CA had done say, an Alexander campaign for Rome2, or a Diadochi campaign, or a Rise of Islam campaign for Attila then they would have a much better map.

Of all the things CA has done the inability to edit the map hurts me the most, because it completely hobbles the potential of total conversions. I'd have loved to work on a Wrath of Sparta map that included Italy (basically being a Rise of the Republic but more fun as you'd have the Peloponnesian War, Carthage-Syracuse war, the invasion of the Celts), or a Rise of Islam one.

Fuck, I'd take just being able to re-assign provinces. Move some from pointless areas like the Russian steppe or Arabian deserts in Attila.
>>
File: 20210609005027_1.jpg (636 KB, 1920x1080)
636 KB
636 KB JPG
>first time playing DeI
>auto resolve tells me this is an auto win
>decide to fight manually
>put hoplites on phalanx defensive box position around the bridge
>pour all my ammo on enemy crossing the bridge
>still slingers only get about 50 kill each
>they blob onto my defensive box
>somehow enemy units slip through defensive position and encircle hoplites
>lose
???? I don't get it. It was the perfect defensive battle but somehow my hoplites and slingers do jack shit. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>633309
idk what youre doing either. you should crush that army comp.
>>
>>633317
Is it because I was on legendary? I forgot to change it before starting the campaign.
>>
File: happy rat.jpg (35 KB, 400x375)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>632875
I forgot about this thread, friend, I'll make sure to post some rats quick-fast!
>>
>>633309
Hoplites are vulnerable to getting encircled and pathing in TW games is always ass so sometimes units just kinda vibrate through walls and do stupid shit. Use fewer hoplites (preferable 1-2 squads) to cover the bridge. More doesn't help you here because it's a chokepoint. Then have a second line behind the first specifically to catch stragglers that wiggle through solid objects. Eventually, you can have the second line relieve the first when they get tired and cycle things in this manner. Even outside of the pathing being buggy, putting all of your eggs in one basket is never a good idea--in TW there are bugs and stupid shit you can't predict but realistically there will always be unknown factors that can punish you for overcommitting so the idea holds true whether it's wiggly barbars or a flanking detachment fording the river a mile up.

Slingers do piss poor damage in the old games but for best results place them to the left and right of the bridge instead of directly in front. If they shoot into the sides/back of approaching enemies they'll get significantly more kills, but still don't expect them to slaughter hordes of oncoming barbarians. Slingers are just weak in that game.
>>
>start playing Shogun 1
>pick Mori
>daimyo, 2 yari samurai and 2 archer companies invade a Takeda river province
>defended by one company of cavalry archers
>250 units vs 60
>hoping to intimidate them into fleeing and avoid a bridge battle, but they don't
>sigh
>they stay on the other side of the bridge, just outside the range of my archers
>infantry will get skirmished to death if they cross the bridge
>one choice left
>charge with my daimyo and hatamoto
>they flee, daimyo pursues
>they run until daimyo is very tired, then they turn around and engage in melee
>oh fuck
>they're too far away from my spearmen now, no help will come
>outnumbered 5 to 1
>I'm done for
>...
>watch in awe as my small heavy cavalry company kills all 60 of them, despite being outnumbered and exhausted

Damn man, those guys are badasses
>>
>>633366
>Is it because I was on legendary? I forgot to change it before starting the campaign.
that might do it. legendary vastly boosts AI shit tier units to compete with your elite units. there is a reason anything above hard is no fun.
>>
>>633702
Man it wouldn't matter if I had a second line of hoplites, they got almost no kills.
>>633842
I had no problem with vanilla R2 on legendary, only with the non existent diplomacy. What's the rec difficulty for this mod, hard/hard?
>>
>>633868
>What's the rec difficulty for this mod,
Normal battle difficulty, any campaign map difficulty.
>>
File: 20210117034708_1.jpg (477 KB, 1920x1080)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
>>633775
shogun 1 is simple but its great game
probably one of the best in series
>>
>>633775
In the early games, general's bodyguard are ubermensch that can solo entire armies and warp the balance of power around them. CA did this for 2 reasons: because the concept behind the games were relatively new and they wanted to make it easy for players to keep their leaders alive, and because you had the option to have armies without generals leading them so they wanted to strongly incentivize and reward players for putting named characters into combat despite the risk of death. Especially earlygame when everyone is fielding basic levies, general units are basically unbeatable.

By the time we got to M2 there was criticism from veterans of the series about how annoying supersoldier bodyguards were, and it was one of the factors that influenced their decision to eventually tie armies to generals and significantly reduce their combat abilities.
>>
>>633927
>tie armies to generals
nah
that was not the reason
the reason is because the AI couldn't build stacks or mass units well and used spam small stacks everywhere or even single units
so they cut it out by making max number of armies and tied armies to general
>>
>>611717
>Turdetarian
kek. what did these guys just eat turds all day or something?
>>
>>633868
normal. anything above that, seriously fucks with the balance. as provided in your example.
>>
>>633956
>parroting ecelebs
kys yourself.
>>
>>634039
its truth tho, dunno why you so wrong and angry about that
I played Empire and Rome 1 recently and AI couldn't handle it
>>
>>634039
>>parroting ecelebs
how is that an opinion parroted by an eceleb? and who? im pretty sure CA has admitted as much that the reason for the removal of stacks was because the AI could not handle it.
>>
>>633956
I've never seen this happen in Shogun 2 or FoTS. The AI seemed to have no trouble taking two fat stacks, pushing them together and rubbing them in my face. The generals were weak and could only sit in the corner and watch.
>>
>>633309
because look with what kind of hoplites you are playing with monkey.they dont even have armor stupid alexander wannabe.you stupid orangutan your hoplites wear all tunics.are you stupid?how dare you play with THAT city-state you boy loving greek hoplite holding homosexual.you thought that tree stick you picked off from the woods of your father's ass crack would stop celtic horde?think again monkey
>>
>>634198
s2 is different because ai get extra units and recruitment abilities
also corridor map so its somewhat better
>>
>settling in Attila
Is there a trick to this? I just ended up with extreme food shortage, disease, desolate lands all around me and 10k+ cost to convert every building to my culture in only 1 settlement.
>>
tfw i dont have a pc good enough to run rome remastered
So i cope with playing the original
>Its the same game anyways
>the original has all the mods
:/
>>
>>634326
Conversion costs are deliberately high. All you actually gain from converting is a couple garrison units and the ability to upgrade--which itself isn't actually useful for germanic factions until you're looking to upgrade minor settlements to the t4 version with walls.

Your hordes have have 'structures' built into the army that help sustain them. When you settle, these are lost. When settling, prioritize fertile lands that are actually worth something, try to capture multiple settlements in a single turn (ideally ones that are part of the same province so they can pool resources) rather than trying to live off of only 1 (Rome's armies start weak and spread out, so you should easily be able to capture ~2 settlements with your two armies the turn you settle, and probably 1 or 2 more the following turn), and prioritize building farms to meet your food needs because that's the most immediate concern. Also demolish most of the roman buildings and downgrade any settlement main structures that are level 2 or higher. Roman structures guzzle food and your own do not, so get rid of them quickly. Do this and you'll quickly level out your food consumption, at which point you can work on balancing sanitation and other concerns. Army upkeep and income can be another major pressure, because earlygame settlements often don't generate much money and horde start with big armies, but you can mitigate this by capturing as much territory as possible quickly while it's undefended. Gaul, Italy, Spain and Greece are all great choices for resettling.

The only roman structure you want to keep are aqueducts in their major settlements. Capturing one of these is striking gold. Germanic sanitation structures suck and sanitation becomes the main limiting factor in developing a province's economy, but having a roman aqueduct lets you completely maximize your eco there without squalor and the only way to get it is to capture a roman settlement that already built one.
>>
Did CA nerf cav in Three Kingdoms? I'm playing as Ma Teng and his battles, while I keep winning, take like 40 minutes because the AI is spamming Black Mountain Outlaws and Heavy Ji Guard which I'm not able to wipe out with my Qiang Hunters. Weren't Cav Archers able to actually kill infantry before?
>>
>>634412
Yes. Don't remember the patch but cav and archers were nerfed to bring their killing power "more in line with infantry".
>>
>>634460
Fucking shit. They're so garbage: 40 elite horseman can barely get 5 kills on a volley against unshielded infantry. I can still win just by dragging the fight out and dogpiling individual infantry from all sides, but it takes forever.
>>
>>634460
Looks like 1.7, so just 3 months ago.

Cavalry and Missile

Cavalry and missile troops have been reduced in lethality across the board, with the intention of putting them in line with the current killing power of infantry.

Cavalry charges do less damage initially but now run further into the unit than they did previously
AP damage and accuracy of all bows has been reduced
Reload speed reduced slightly for bows and crossbows
Reduced chance for units to friendly fire with missiles
Missile units should now be less likely to run forwards when their line of sight is blocked
Cataphracts have higher mass, and should now be able to smash through enemy lines
>>
>>633366
Oh I said you suck but actually DEI is balanced for normal battles. Difficulty is just stat boosts so don't worry about ai handicaps or anything like that.
>>
Anyone have those dlls for ashilla?
>>
>>634646
check the steam guide, they are in the comment section. i feel like that didnt work however, and the best one was changing the amount of cores attila was allowed to use.
>>
Anons, is it possible to do an ashigaru only run on very hard or maybe legendary? Has anyone tried this before? If so ikko ikki or oda? Is rushing matchlocks enough to deal with mid game samurai spam?
>>
0-4 Lakhmids
5-9 Alans
>>
>>636320
not only is it possible to play with ashigaru only, it's hardly even a detriment
>>
>>636320
But isn't that how you play Shogun 2? Just build ashigaru and right click enemy
>>
File: 1622395040703.jpg (11 KB, 193x262)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>636370
>>636380
Well maybe im just bad at the game, but in my previous tries AIs just field like 6-7 bow sams and shred my ashigaru line then the katanas hit and the chain rout starts. I could never make it past realm divide. Any tips?
>>
>>636398
Field a good amount of bows yourself they are pretty strong in Shogun 2
>>
File: 1596465629039.png (602 KB, 637x960)
602 KB
602 KB PNG
>>
>>636398
Alternatively just grab a few cavs or just use your general and harass/distract.
>>
>>
>>631066
If you migrate to a province where it naturally spreads, yes. Some non-playable nations either start with it or convert to it in campaigns sometimes.
>>
Is this Fall of the Eagles mod any good? What are some good mods in general for Attila's campaign?
>>
>>636929
ancient empires
>>
>>636398
light cavalry + generals (always recruit new generals for 1000 gold and youll have enough for a nice heavy cav brigade in no time) can more than handle archers + hammer + anvil to win you any battle against AI
>>
>celtic swords were so bad they would bend in the middle of battle and have to be straightened into shape again
do barbarians really...
https://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/iss/kap_b/backbone/rb_2_1.html
>>
>>607487
Their time was the classical antiquity period, plenty of materials for a game: Native Egypt, Babylon, rise of Persia, Judea, Lydia, Scythians, Greek city-states, Roman kingdom/early republic kino. Don't lose hope
>>
so apparently gauls had hoplite formations IRL according to Caesar... is there any mod to do this? how would that even have looked? nothing like those absurdly long spears on the german spearband tho
>>
File: welp.png (3.73 MB, 2338x1078)
3.73 MB
3.73 MB PNG
Shit bois, I might have a problem. Got caught in the alps by two Roman armies while I was recuperating, no way open for retreat. It's my only horde, and I'm afraid that even if I win I'll be decimated and get ganked by another Roman stack.
Using the Stable Rome mod so that WRE and ERE don't just instantly collapse, and it seems to be working even a little better than required. The bonuses to income and upkeep might be a little muchas barbarian factions seem unable to put a dent into those Romans.
>>
>>637587
A lot of old sword types including the legendary samurai sword erred on the side of being made too soft because controlling the exact properties of steel is hard and it's better for a sword to be too soft and bend in battle than to be too hard and shatter
>>
>>637687
>Roman kingdom/early republic
Rise of the Republic DLC for Rome2. We're not getting another.
Late Bronze age being Greece to Mesopotamia, Caucasus down to Nubia was a pretty clear choice but sadly they didn't go with it. Of the historical options the way I see it is we could have:
>Victoria TW
Sadly it's hard to justify a Victoria TW without colonies, but colonies would benefit from a Warhammer 1/2/3 style theatrical release split.
>Empire TW
Easier to justify a Western Eurasia / New World / South/Southeast Asia division.
>Pike and Shot/Renaissance TW
Easiest to justify a Western Eurasia / New world / South/Southeast Asia division
>Medieval 3
Could hypothetically have a warhammer 1/2/3 style division of Europe release, Middle-East+India release, East Asia release.

Personally I want either Medieval 3 1066-1492, or 1492-1648 Pike and Shot.
>>
>>638031
What turn is this that Rome has its lategame unit upgrades but you're still a horde? Or does the mod give them all those to start with?
>>
>>638124
It's summer 409 AD. I didn't migrate for a pretty long time, when I finally did I fucked around in Gaul and stackwiped + killed Stilicho in the Pyrenees. I was just crossing the alps to settle in Mediolanum but got pincered, and in the end lost the campaign.

The mod gives Rome no tech boost iirc, WRE just seems to have focused on military techs. Do note that these are mostly the WRE midgame units, not lategame, pretty much everything they have except legio comitatenses still has upgrades to go.
>>
File: map.jpg (246 KB, 1024x768)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
anyone tried Warcraft Total War? Being a big War3 fan i gotta give it a try, will report back in a few days
>>
>>621162
I have no idea of why they changed, I admit I liked the new Carthage intro, though
>>
File: 20210613193640_1.jpg (405 KB, 1920x1080)
405 KB
405 KB JPG
kek, i was trying out playing in this moutain area in the southern pike of the italic peninsula, and because the enemy's area was towards the sea, when they retreated they drowned in the sea
also might release a minimod to add 3 landbridges to the campaign map (or more)
>Gibraltar landbridge (Spain-Africa)
>Byzantium landbridge (Greece-Turkey)
>Italy landbridge (Italic peninsula-Sicily)
Might do one for Britain-Ireland
>>
>>638823
surprised to know this exists desu.
>>
>>638823
>those undead stacks around Hearthglen
Poor Lordaeron
>>
>>638035
You can make steel that's bendy but still returns to true, ya know
>>
had a blast playing Attila with some friends today, forgot how good sieges were in this game
might try out some mods, any recommendations? we were looking at the Ancient Empires one
>>
>>642809
ancient empires
>>
>>642821
Isn't DeI better?
>>
>>642833
from what i heard Del stretches out fights the same way Rome 2 does, and id rather not play anything similar to Rome 2
>>
File: 850 Hoplites.jpg (18 KB, 420x352)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
why is unit identification so easy in Rome Total War compared to newer titles?
I took it for granted until i saw how much they fucked it up in the Remaster, both in the unit cards and in the 3d Models themselves.
>>
>>643415
Unit rosters are much smaller. It's easier to make units distinct when there are fewer factions and less filler
Balance is ass. It's easy to make units distinct when some are characterized by massively over or under performing
The game is built around morale shocks, which allows you to specialize units around inflicting, resisting or crumbling to morale attacks over raw combat stats.
There are fewer visible stats and stats are represented with smaller numbers, making it easier to distinguish between minor statistical differences between two otherwise analogous units
And the unit thumbnails are strictly better than most other games. This one is a mix of art direction (eg. Rome 2's awful portraits) and effort. Roster bloat means whoever has to do this shit just has more and more and more to do every game, and obviously when your workload is tripled, the effort per unit is reduced.

I'd argue Attila's unit portraits are about as good as Rome 1's but you see the impact that the huge unit/faction roster has there. Portraits are generally good with lots of units being extremely distinct and easy to recognize at a glance thanks to their pose or the composition of their portrait displaying their identifying features prominently, but there are quite a few that also just look hilariously bad or downright silly. That's also a game that suffers from flooding the unit card with NUMBERS that don't really mean anything while hiding some of the actually important stats that properly distinguish units from each other. In that and TW games past it, there just seems to be a lack of real understanding about what information the player is actually looking for to be displayed on that sheet and just a vague, shallow imitation of what previous games did for the sake of legacy.
>>
>>643415
Pre-HD era gaming textures and sprites tend to be a lot more distinctive.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (121 KB, 1280x720)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>643452
imo if every non-roman unit in RTW had like 5 extra morale it would be great. Instead, you have constant fear of mass routing with almost every non-roman faction.
A few extra rebalancing besides this morale boost and the game balance would be mostly fixed
>buff eastern infantry and iberian infantry
>nerf phalanx units or remove phalanx completelly (shits broken)
>>643476
yeah i really dislike how from Shogun 2 onwards units are just HD blobs, to the ponit that they have to add a fucking icon to remind you what the unit actually is
>>
>>637587
probably depends on the iron ore they had to work with
>>
>>643638
they apparently didnt submerge it in water after forging, wich would have made them extremelly easy to break
one of my sources says that they made them bendy on purpose so that instead of totally breaking apart, they'd just bend at the worst.
its likely just that they had very limited knowledge on iron forging
>>
>>642833
he wasnt asking mods about rome 2 but about attila. i would rec DEI if he was asking about rome 2.
>>
These animations wonky af fr lmao
>>
>>643994
Cavalry disintegrating against a pike line is the silliest but also most satisfying interaction in Attila. The best part is that it's a unique death animation used only for that specific interaction, meaning someone went out of their way to make it look that way and then said "yes, this is correct"
>>
Rome 2 total war was such a shit show that I wish they simply remastered some total war. Remember how the cod developers took modern warfare and simply remastered it. Basically gave it great graphics. They need to do the same exact thing with some total war. Except maybe allow cities to expand, I thought that was just cool as shit.
>>
>>644015
i love how they suddenly stop and then its like they get pulled the fuck into the pikemen
>>
>>644015
More likely someone was told to make the animation got 85% of the way through and then told to publish even though it clearly wasnt ready.
>>
File: 20210615093932_1.jpg (593 KB, 1920x1080)
593 KB
593 KB JPG
I fucking hate fighting horse fuckers so much, but 2nd time is the charm.
How would you tackle fighting against nomads as a greek faction?
>>
>>644568
Lots of missiles (preferably archer or slinger for range) and light melee cavalry that can outrun their missile cavalry.
Keep some infantry but any heavy cavalry you have will not be able to reach their fast-moving missile cavalry. You just have to shoot the shit out of them.
>>
File: Himyar 1.jpg (528 KB, 1920x1080)
528 KB
528 KB JPG
Started a new campaign as Himyar, going to spend the first few turns waiting to convert to semitic paganism
>>
File: Himyar 2.jpg (593 KB, 1920x1080)
593 KB
593 KB JPG
>>644852
9 turns in the arabian separatists captured Omana, making it possible for me to capture it for myself without starting a war with the Sassanids
>>
>>644852
What difficulty?
>>
>>644880
Normal because i fucking suck at videogames
>>
>>643539
>Instead, you have constant fear of mass routing with almost every non-roman faction.
Well yeah, thats how ancient warfare worked.
>>
>>644911
idk about that, seems like Eastern Infantry were made as the cliche zerg-rush type army from pop culture
>claiming Rome Total War has to do with realism
>>
>>644911
Romans ran with their tail between their ass cheeks as much as anyone else, and they lost battles to the celts constantly prior to Caesar handing the entire ethnic group their collective asses. Pop history would have you believe rome was just plain superior to all other brands of humanity but the truth is that just like every other ancient civilization, their success was owed to a relatively small number of very successful generals who ballooned their sphere of influence, effective population and access to resources with a small number of successful campaigns.

What sets Rome apart from Macedonia or Persia is just that its relative position in the world made it much more practical to retain effective control over the regions it annexed even after their iconic leader died and left the region to splinter into civil war. Alexander's successor states were too far-flung to effectively fight and unify one another so they just drifted into separate kingdoms, while being the heart of the mediterranean meant that any roman civil war could be resolved within a few seasons and the whole territory reunified--which happened nearly a hundred times through Rome's history. There was nothing particularly special about Romans, their culture or even their military traditions that gave them the edge over other major civilizations. What they were good at, they copied from Greece. Most of their 'iconic' military technology was borrowed from celtic or iberian mercenaries and they didn't actually gain a significant advantage over neighbouring cultures in general troop quality until after Augustus consolidated the empire and they gained an overwhelming advantage in resources and population to support their army with.
>>
>>645040
Rome consistently win wars against Celts in Northern Italy, Spain, Southern Gaul before Ceasars and after him in Britain
>>
>>645040
I'd disagree to an extent. I do agree that only an infantile arm-chair general such as abounds online now thinks there's some esoteric mystical Roman quality that makes them great. At the risk of being an armchair contrarian myself I do buy the thesis I've heard regarding the Roman ability to recruit and recruit over and over. As they viewed war as more of an obligation and less of a social privilege based on status and wealth - beyond the basic minimum of wealth necessary to have the right gear. And the gear itself might have been cheaper than what was necessary for a hoplite.

But with recruitment it does seem like there was a resilience and a willingness to use others to fight and an ability to have them opt into the system in such a way that you didn't suffer the coup d'etats of foreigners as Muslims experienced with slave-warriors, nor provincial rebelliousness of armed and trainined non-purebloods. Then again they did - the Social wars, the Batavi Revolt and a few others. But generally it seems like the roman military machine was a great Latinizer. You did have lots of rebelliousness but it wasn't Iberians or Thracians or Gauls or Illyrians or Syrians trying to leave and establish a new state. It was Roman soldiers of those backgrounds supporting Roman generals as emperors.
>>
>>645437
Rome had a lot
A LOT
of small uprisings from oppressed local cultures. They just aren't a big focus of history because the vast majority of them failed and weren't recorded in detail. Some parts of the empire basically never stopped fighting for independence right up until the empire disappeared, they just didn't have the means to offer more than token resistance and in many cases didn't keep written histories to give us a second side to the story. Hell, there's evidence the amazigh fought against rome right from the end of the punic wars to the loss of north africa to the vandals.

The great 'latinized' of rome's legacy were mostly germanic cultures that weren't even part of the empire and only migrated into its corpse and then claimed a cultural connection for legitimacy. More people spoke latin after the roman empire collapsed than when it was at its peak, because local cultures conquered by rome didn't learn latin and become roman citizens. The big exceptions are subgroups in gaul, italy and spain that garnered special privileges as providers of valued auxiliaries, but these were not widespread.
>>
File: 20210617063620_1.jpg (577 KB, 1920x1080)
577 KB
577 KB JPG
>>644877
those fucking jews istg
>>
File: 20210617112701_1.jpg (629 KB, 1920x1080)
629 KB
629 KB JPG
Is this even winnable on legendary? I fucking hate this nomad shit so much, why the fuck can't I ambush?
>>
File: 20210617114225_1.jpg (627 KB, 1920x1080)
627 KB
627 KB JPG
>>646337
Well, I didn't expect to win this.
RIP mah kang
>>
>>644568
Foot archers outshoot horse archers afaik.
>>
>>636320
I usually just keep one unit of yari sam next to the general's unit and use rapid advance to countercharge in case somebody gets close to threaten the daymio. Works pretty well against AI.
>>
>>646337
Base roman infantry have shit morale and shit endurance (because of their heavy armour). You can abuse the hell out of them since all the basic germanic infantry are light and outrun them. Tire their army out, pin the front and then charge the rear. You'll mass rout before they have time to kill anything--yes, even on Legendary. Cavalry charges are absolutely ridiculous in Attila.
>>
File: bloody hell.png (2.22 MB, 1920x1080)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB PNG
>>643539
>Instead, you have constant fear of mass routing with almost every non-roman faction
which is great desu
>>
File: just charging fast.webm (2.97 MB, 460x460)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB WEBM
>>643452
>Rome 2 unit cards
for what purpose
>>643994
the cavalry would crash pikemen if they charged like that
the pikes aren't even braced and horse on move is hard to stop
>>
>>647268
The pikes are 'braced' in the sense that in game, they're classified as such. The animations just don't reflect this because I guess that was one step of effort too far.

Pikes like that were highly effective at stopping cavalry charges when properly braced. In fact they were so effective that they basically ended the era of heavy cavalry warfare that dominated the medieval period. Horses are smart enough to not charge suicidally into a wall of pointy tips, which lead to helmets designed to deliberately narrow their FoV to keep them from seeing it, but the issue remains that breaking a pike formation with horse mass doesn't matter if that's dead/crippled horse mass. Bracing pikes isn't about stopping a tonne of careening glue meat, it's about ensuring you can keep the pointy end stable enough to pierce the spot it's supposed to pierce. A wounded horse is more dangerous to its rider than the crowd it just ran into.
>>
File: 20210618222718_1.jpg (449 KB, 1920x1080)
449 KB
449 KB JPG
Should I settle in Cordoba or Carthage? Carthage is better for cavalry based armies like the Alans, right?
>>
File: 20210618213342_1.jpg (586 KB, 1920x1080)
586 KB
586 KB JPG
Things are not looking too good for Charles, especially since Savoy captured France. This now puts him, Venice, and New Spain against pretty much the whole world (except Poland)
At least the whole of the Caribbean has been claimed for the Spanish dominion: while Geraldo Andrade desperately wishes to avenge himself against the British, who stole Florida from under his watch as he led the marines in the storming of Nasau, he then receives orders bidding him back to Europe, as he is to reinforce Inocencio Mosquera's army from Italy in order to reclaim Francia. Minister of War and High Lord Constable, Simon de Castenata has expressed his aim to then continue the war in Europe, resupplying the garrisons in Flanders before continuing the advance against the Dutch and the Austrians.
>>
>>647268
Keep in mind with that video:

>That's re-enactors being filmed, not real life conditions
>They aren't trying to kill the horses, the horsemen aren't trying to kill them
>They're also not in a very tightly packed formation.
That said I recall reading somewhere, may have been speculative rather than an ancient author saying as much, but that you had to have 8 men deep to receive a cataphract charge.

If you want a good glimpse of horse's utility vs an antagonistic group you can look at riots and how despite being a very voluminous crowd it's not dense or dedicated enough to remain dense to stop the horses from pushing through. People instinctively are afraid of a charging horse as much as they would be a charging car, so unless you have the discipline to remain tightly packed there'll be gaps that the horse will be able to make use of.
>>
>>647889
>>649815
keep in mind that half ton+ horse crushing in formation is no joking matter even if he is dead
whole formation would be disturbed with plenty people hurt
wounded horse is even worse
horses don't magically died with riders when they hit something sharp and also bodies don't disappear or lose weight or momentum
cavalry charge even that stupid would be quite deadly for both sides
>>
>>651005
Anon, we have history to demonstrate exactly "what would happen"
Pikes were so effective at countering heavy cavalry tactics that it literally revolutionized warfare and lead to the pike and shot era. Prior to that, heavy cavalry were the dominant force on medieval european battlefields.
>>
File: sumin ain rite.png (607 KB, 532x680)
607 KB
607 KB PNG
hold the fuck up
>>
>>652084
lmao
>>
>>652084
Roger A Muirebe?
>>
File: year2021.jpg (567 KB, 1920x1080)
567 KB
567 KB JPG
EASTER EGG!
Says here "Year 2021"
>>
>>648747
>only 10k
keep raiding spain for a while
i think corduba could be better in the long run because of all the provinces you got nearby for future expansion
>>
>>651525
i would argue that it was mostly cost efficient solution - mostly because any charge would be costly in both raiders and horses and war horses were very costly
and there were still battles were cavalry charges broke pike and shoot formations
>>
>>651525
It was the guns that proved supper effective against the horses and everything else, the pike was just deterrence.
>>
File: 20210621020617_1.jpg (966 KB, 2560x1440)
966 KB
966 KB JPG
wew...
>>
>>652806
Early guns were actually pretty terrible against horses. Their poor accuracy and range meant they weren't doing much in a single volley before getting run down, and they were finicky too the point of being detrimental on the march. Pikes warfare was the driving factor in the shift away from armoured heavy cavalry, and rudimentary firearms found their niche against armoured defensive formations like pikes, where they could afford to get close enough for their weapons to be effective. This led to both changes in how armour was designed (because it was ineffective against guns) and how soldiers were recruited (there was no linger any meaning to a socially elite fighting caste a la knights when a musket kills a peasant or a lord all the same). The latter actually drove some of the social changes that brought europe out of medievalism.
>>
For the first time ever I finally beat a Long Rome 1 campaign as a faction that isnt a roman one. The Seleucids. For the longest time I honestly feared trying because of how stupidly OP the romans are in the game but it was honestly the most fun ive had with the game in a while.
>>
>>653657
>For the longest time I honestly feared trying because of how stupidly OP the romans are in the game
You could always instigate the Roman Civil War to weaken them when you try it with another faction.
I did it by accident.
>>
>>653657
Most of the greeks and successors are arguably as strong as the romans, just less braindead. Having more to their army than just heavy infantry certainly makes them all more interesting.

The real hard mode is trying to make things happen as any barbarian faction.
>>
>>653716
Any barbarian factions are just nonviable in a long campaign since they can't even get any large cities. Except the scythians imo because you can just overwhelm everything with horse archers.
>>
>>648747
Did you upgrade your troops? Keep them at starting level until you settle and get a good economy going.
I sacked until I had 30k gold then settles a region as fast as i could and still almost ran out of money.
>>
Going to play Medieval 2 TW, should I get any mods?
>>
File: frankish persia.jpg (53 KB, 481x233)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
bye bye europe eheheheh
>>
File: 20210621231755_1.jpg (421 KB, 1920x1080)
421 KB
421 KB JPG
I'm gonna do it. Wish me luck, lads.
>>
>>654594
Can you do it without abandoning any territory ?
>>
File: 1623812302450.jpg (64 KB, 492x503)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>654594
>REBELLION REBELLION REBELLION
>ERE HAS DRAGGED YOU INTO ANOTHER WAR
>SUBJUGATED TRIBE DECLARES ON YOU LITERALLY AS YOU HIT END TURN
>REBELLION REBELLION REBELLION
>SNOWNIGGER SACKS YOUR SETTLEMENT
>REBELLION
>ATTILA HAS BEEN BORN
>>
Ive never played a total war game. Which one should i get?

Rome 2?
>>
>>655384
That's a difficulty question.
The best TW games to get into the franchise are the old ones: Rome 1, Medieval 2, etc. But you're asking the question because you already know that answer and you're looking for an excuse to skip the 'old' games.

Rome 2 is a terrible place to start. It was released in a broken state and bandaid patched into something only vaguely playable. It's popular because it rides on the coattails of Rome 1's success, and Rome 1 is the reason this franchise has persisted for 20 years.

Attila is the best current Total War but it's much more difficult than most of the games in the franchise and not beginner friendly, so it's not a good place to start. It's the game you graduate to after trying another TW game and finding that you liked it and want more.

Everything after Attila is mostly arcadey and dumbed down. They aren't terrible games, but they're a terrible representation of why people like the franchise and stick around here playing decade-old games and talking about them. If simple and arcadey is your jam, then both WH2 and Troy are decent options. Troy actually has some cool innovations to combat that make it worthwhile.

With that said, your best bet would be either the recent Rome 1 remaster if you're willing to overlook dated graphics and play an "old" game, or otherwise if you're dead set on something less dated, go with Shogun 2. If somehow either of those games filter you, try Troy.
>>
>>655522
nah i can play whatever i just dont know anything about these games other than people like rome and shogun 2.

I already have shogun 2 so im happy to start with that one.
>>
I swear these games switch difficulties if it doesn't approve of your actions.
>>
How do you guys go about auto-resolve vs fighting the battle out when it comes to TW:Attila?
I feel like auto resolve is very very generous and find my self not fighting out battles as much as I want to.
Does a higher campaign difficulty fix this?
What difficulty do you Attila guys play the most?
>>
>>656185
Autoresolve actually doesn't take difficulty into account so it's actually often easier in higher difficulties to autoresolve than to resolve manually. Autoresolve basically favours whichever army is more expensive so it's very easy to abuse, but as you can tell, it's also less fun. Just use it at your own discretion, it's intended to be a convenience thing for battles not worth fighting manually, so it's not balanced around challenge.
>>
>>655522
Shogun 2 is good for beginners because of it simplified settlement mechanics and more limited unit roster, but playing Rome 1 you really understand why it's so well remembered. Unit variety that actually matters and unique factions even though it's kind of an old game.
>>
>>655522
lol med 2 is probably rome 2 release level of broken in its current state. both the old games suffer from worse ai, worse pathfinding worse diplomacy and worse faction variety. rome 2 is a good place to start, especially with the different mods and campaign MP.
>>
is there any Attila mods specifically aimed at coop campaigns?
to make them better, to avoid desyncs, to make turns shorter, etc

quality of life improvements and such
>>
File: Run away.jpg (101 KB, 1036x754)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
Doing a Parthia campaign, god I love cataphracts.
>>
>>607220
how is this thread still going? how is this campaign still going?
>>
>>653101
wew lad....

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.