[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 65 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20210503221304_1.jpg (617 KB, 1920x1080)
617 KB
617 KB JPG
Let's keep the shitflinging to a minimum this time
>>
File: he handsome.png (79 KB, 214x333)
79 KB
79 KB PNG
How do you deal with Armenian/Parthian Cataphracts early game as the Seleucids? hate those fucking things
>>
>>576507
stick them with your rhythm pike
>>
>>576507
Box them in with phalanxes, and pelt the shit out of them. It takes awhile but you'll get through them eventually
>>
>>576497
pikemanii
>>
Fellas, I'm losing my mind over here.

How do you actually win against the Greeks as Carthage, even my fully upgraded Poeni infantry are no match for their hoplites. Mercenaries are shit and I can't even reinforce them. I didn't want to, but, I need to heavily rely on elephants, right?
>>
File: twrrcomf.jpg (195 KB, 1149x649)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
Is this the comfiest settlement in the game?
>>576587
Mercanary hoplites.
Not that familiar with the rosters but i'd think you would missile them down because they're so slow or tie them up and then charge them in the rear with cav or something. Pretty sure elephants are a meme.
>>
>>576587
>I need to heavily rely on elephants
fuck no, phalanxes will merc elephants. What you need to do is pin them in place with your Poeni, then slam them in the rear with cavalry. Phalanxes pretty much always immediately break when they get hit in the back or flank. Also, use your ranged units (grab some cretans while you're there) and wither them down as they approach
>>
>>576656
>safely protected by a valley of mountains
>good resources for big income
>right at the edge of the map so will almost never get attacked
Seems pretty damn comfy to me
>>
>>576497
Which faction is most tactile and Lindy?
>>
>>576587
>Balearic slingers to the back
>javelins to the back
seriously sen some faggot to hire some merc from spain or greece
>>
>>576656
put watchtowers so you have vision on land and sea
>>
>>576656
>Pretty sure elephants are a meme.
Elephants fuck pretty hard against anything non-phalanx, although my only experience is from mercenary elephants as Rome.
>>
Is there a way to look at enemy unit stats and abilities in battle?
>>576740
I will eventually but the initial economy as spain on vh is really shitty.
>>
>>576751
btw
porting Bulldog icons into rome is really easy
>>
File: 20210502222042_1.jpg (365 KB, 1920x1080)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>
>>576656
Very cosy. I like Alexandria as well.
>>
>>576497
What are some mods like XGM but with more advanced unit retexturing?
>>
>>576757
>242 units
Bro, think of your pathfinding!
>>
File: bloody hell.png (2.22 MB, 1920x1080)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB PNG
>>576791
its good becasue its phalanx and they fight in close formation
>160 skirmisher unit in loose formation
arghhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>fight against phalanxes head on
>they are all but invincible

>play Macedon
>fuck loads of units charge my phalanx head on causing my phalanx to take heavy losses

Why is this happening?
Hadn’t played the original Rome in a while, when I did I played EB.
Feels like phalanxes are nerfed for the player or something but still strong as fuck for the AI
>>
>>576796
Are your phalanxes keeping formation?
If not, press backspace, that could be it
>>
>>576797
They seem to be, but granted I haven’t really checked. I’ll pay more attention tomorrow
>>
>>576796
The AI deal with your phalanx by charging the bulk of it's units at its centre usually. Several units against 1 phalanx head on can break it up and cause them to drop their sarissas for close fighting, not after the enemy take heavy losses of course. While cav will get chewed up in a head on charge they're good at breaking lines in a phalanx while supporting infantry.
>>
>>576587
I've always found that not being able to reinforce your mercenaries was dumb.

Just make their reinforce cost substantially higher than normal retraining and that unique units such a balearic slingers and creten archers can only be replenished at their respective regions.
>>
File: phalangites.png (2.64 MB, 1600x1146)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB PNG
>>576796
they mass charge and if your phalanx is low quality(aka levy) break easily
look there>>576793
also flanking phalanx is much better that backdooring it
>>
>>576807
desu cities in RTW should have more than one recruitment slots(like based on barrack level) and retraining should take one also you should be able to train/retrain local merc but recruiting them should take more time(like 3-4 turns)mercenary, same for elites and cavalry(like 2-3 turns)
>>
>>576977
What manga is this from?
>>
File: overarm vs underarm 2.jpg (401 KB, 1456x1007)
401 KB
401 KB JPG
>>577016
good one
>>
File: 20210504234626_1.jpg (536 KB, 1920x1080)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
My army's facing off two we wuzzer full stacks. We're heavily out numbered but all my troops have silver weapons and armour, plus my Cretans have 4 chevrons of experience. My cohorts are a little green, however
>>
>>577019
>>kretan archers!!
>>
>>577017
>uphill battle
ngmi
>>
File: 20210505000201_1.jpg (709 KB, 1920x1080)
709 KB
709 KB JPG
First army has been seen off, but my cavalry is badly bloodied and my Cretans out of ammo. My only indirect fire now is the pila from my legionnaires and my rhodians
>>
File: alalala 2.jpg (185 KB, 728x1041)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>577045
pic related
>>577049
slings units should have half the size, better stats/longer range and AP, where bows should be more close packed medium range
>>
>>577053
Rhodians are far better in terms of damage than your average archers generally, but they're nothing compared to Cretans
>>
>>577055
Cretans are best archers I think
desu ancient west wasn't hot on archers and for good reason, also for good reason sling ruled the battlefield
>>
File: mcenough.jpg (44 KB, 830x960)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>ally germania
>pay them to attack gaul
>they attack me instead
AAAAAAAAHHHHH
>>
>>576751
Open up the unit card thing, I think you right click on one of your dudes cards at the bottom to get it. Then whenever you hover over any unit it'll show stats.
>>
File: 20210504205543_1.jpg (659 KB, 1920x1080)
659 KB
659 KB JPG
Fuck the Senate. There are new purple guys in charge.
>>
why are the sounds so quiet? who the fuck thought that was a good idea?
>>
File: twrrauto.jpg (436 KB, 1562x812)
436 KB
436 KB JPG
>this is a defeat
Why does the auto resolve hate me bros?
>>
>>576807
>>576986
They should port these things from Medieval II. Probably very doable since its the same engine. Also, you can retrain all your units and recruit 1 unit in the same turn for anybody who doesn't know. Just make sure your new unit is the last in the queue.
>>
>>577483
>command 1
>walls
Not saying that this is how the mechanics work, but I guess your guy decided to just rush the towers was a sound plan
>>
File: 1601755534110.jpg (14 KB, 437x431)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>576497
bros I want the truth
what is the best mod for the original rome that adds the most incredible faction bloat? Why are there so few mods that actually expand the factions to the scale of rome2?
>>
>>577752
There's an engine limit on the number of factions. Medieval 2 and the RTW Remaster should have limits of 31 factions.
>>
>>577483
Based doggos
>>
File: 20210430145539_1.jpg (325 KB, 1920x1080)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
just went around the phalanx
>>
>>577752
Original rome had a limit of 21 factions, and nu rome has a limit of 31.
Also there was a total unit limit of 500, nu-rome might increase that.
>>
>>577767
the faction limit is only temporary, feral has said that they will lift it completely at a later date
>>
File: orely.gif (1.45 MB, 288x198)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB GIF
>>577826
>the faction limit is only temporary, feral has said that they will lift it completely at a later date
>>
>>577017
can Japs not do left and right?
>>
>>577862
>can Japs not do left and right?
elaborate
>>
>>577340
based. take Illyria and create a comfy Adriatic empire
>>
>>577862
what
>>
I'm playing Fall of the Samurai for the first time. It's Autumn 1865 and Realm Divide has occured. I've only got two armies at ~12 units total and I'm now fighting a war on two-fronts: one against a Shogunate faction at the eastern tip of Japan, and the Imperials all in the West.

As the Shogunate Vanguard, should I peace out with these guys in the East and use the movement exploit to get to the West? They took a blacksmith province from me last turn and I can invade their territory if I really want to, but the blacksmith is too far away to get back and they've got a full stack.

Can I just outlast/wear down the initial wave of Imperial attacks in the East and build up my eco, or am I fucked if my economy is weak before the Realm Divide? I know in the base campaign the enemy factions sent multiple waves of armies in and I had just enough forces to defeat them, but this time I don't have a narrow frontier to defend and I lost my navy fighting the Sendai.
>>
File: 20210504174737_1.jpg (560 KB, 1920x1080)
560 KB
560 KB JPG
Here is my WR campaign on hard, the only challenge was to keep Spain together but if you play right, the game become surprising manageable. Now I'm sit around, build Librarys for research buff, but fucking Immigration start ruining my Public Order.

Yeah first time I see a sucessfull local roman faction doing fine (Macedonia) while Britain and Gallia just sit around with 1 settlement. I also never gave up the ER.
>>
How do you beat Teutoberg forest on Rome 1? Only one I've never been able to win.
>>
>>576587
>not using the bare minimum tactic of hammer and anvil
Shiggy diggy
>>
>>578451
I did it last night on easy because I just wanted the Steam achievement
Right at the start I split up my army to quickly rout the initial ambush, then as soon as those units began to retreat I made a beeline for the settlement while blobbing any ambush that'd appear further down the road

I have a very faint memory of doing the battle 10+ years ago by sacrificing most of my units and ensuring that I just barely had the minimum amount of soldiers make it into the town square at the end, so I guess that's another way of doing it
>>
>>576703
Rome (Red Flavour), duh
>>
>>576759
Home...
>>
File: 2256261485.jpg (1.14 MB, 1920x1080)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>576497
Histchads, I've been playing as Estalia in TWW2 Southern Realms mod + the mod to give them actual pike formations like in Attila
Give me pike and shot tactics to use with my handgunners and southern pikemen
I also have access to light cannons and medium cavalry
>>
>>578644
Does Attila still runs like shit?
>>
>>578650
Wouldn't know
I was playing TWW2 modded to be similar to Attila
>>
>>578653
Shit, I'm retarded aaaaaaaaa
>>
>>578650
Hah, you think CA has bothered to patch Atilla?
That'll be the day
>>
>>578655
I found a population mod that makes it so you actually have to manage your populace, disease, manpower, supply etc.
Another one lets you control garrisons like in older games so you can rally out without a lord though it's a bit buggy
That plus a mod that lets you play a faction that's 99% men with guns and pikes has made the game fun
Though I still haven't found a mod that makes all the lords and heroes have retinues like generals in earlier games do though, and I refuse to use wizards
>>
>>578644
proper pike and shot tactics don't matter in warhammer since firearms operate like archers and have firing arcs, unless the mod you use changes that.
what I would use is a triplex acies style formation, with your pikeman in the front and gunners in the back in a checkerboard-type formation.
>>
>>578665
Don't IRL bullets have firing arcs?
Honestly I've played ETW and NTW and don't see much difference other than gun units can't shoot through themselves in those games without fire by rank/platoon fire, which I always thought was mostly just visual
>>
File: file.png (82 KB, 1024x191)
82 KB
82 KB PNG
>>578665
So this?
Seems like the flanks would be exposed
>>
>>578671
Bullet drop is not the same as a firing arc, the former is far too rapid to be used to fire over another rank of troops.
>>
>>578684
You need a hill or something to fire over friendly troops with gunpowder weapons in TWW
>>
File: 1570491361407.jpg (15 KB, 252x310)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>Oyoiyoi kicks in
>>
>>578665
IRL there's a thing called gravity and muskets still had significant bullet drop.
>>
>>578727
that's the point, bullet drop is far too aggressive IRL to form a arrow-style firing arc from such short distances
>>
These numbers are gonna be very general, but the main factors to your arc are velocity and weight. If you have more velocity you go forward faster so you have more forward movement compared to downwards movement, and same thing with weight.
Aerodynamics factor in as well cause you lose speed over type but I can't be fucked factoring that.

A 160lbs longbow fires an 80g arrow at 55.5m/s.
A 17th century musket apparently fired mostly 12 bore lead balls weighing roughly 38g at around 400m/s.

It's a lighter projectile going at significantly higher speed. So it's going to have less drop and you need greater distance to arc a shot.
Drag is the only thing that could possibly give the arrow less of a drop.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=midZRaH3SRY
Is he right, /vst/? Is Rome 2 a better experience than Rome 1, remastered or otherwise?
>>
>>578861
he is not wrong. for a new player, rome 2 would be the better option.
>>
>>578869
>he is not wrong
So Rome 1's only value at this point is nostalgia and is outclassed by Rome 2 in terms of both content and gameplay
>>
File: ninja orgy.png (179 KB, 235x450)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>ARMY SABOTAGE
>ARMY SABOTAGE
>ARMY SABOTAGE
>ARMY SABOTAGE
>ARMY SABOTAGE
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>578872
In Rome's I defense, atleast RTW engine has unit colission, that made battles feel more SOVLFUL, but yeah, Rome 2 added stuff that made the game less tedious and straightforward.
>>
>>578886
desu I’d appreciate Rome 2 way more just if the campaign map wasn’t so fucking stupid, between that awful province system, the fact that only capital settlements have walls (seriously what the FUCK) leading to a bunch of cities most known for their large defensive walls permanently being little fishing and farming settlements, and the limited building slots system, it all just feels so arcadey and shitty, can’t get immersed into the campaign at all. Worst part is CA never released tools to let us mod these things so we’re just stuck with them unless some major breakthroughs from moderate get released
>>
>>578889
from modders*
>>
>>578889
Didn't Divide et Impera solved most of the issues you just described?

I too hated Damascus and other great ancient cities not having their famous walls because of a dumb dev decision.
>>
>>578872
>Rome 2 in terms of both content and gameplay
only vanilla rome. dei helps but it doesnt solve the issue of the bad building system. i agree that the ai is kind of worse than in lets say shogun 2 or rome 2, but once the mods start rolling in for the remaster, i will never look back at the newer games.
>>
>>578872
Rome 1 has its good parts that could make for an interesting game but like always CA doesn't put the pieces together in a way that reaches its full potential, that's why the games get modded so heavily
The remaster is reminding a lot of oldfags of how lackluster a lot of parts of the original game were and clearing up a bit of the nostalgia goggle effect
2 in my opinion is just one of the better games, if not the best, for someone completely new to the franchise to use to get their feet wet because besides the politics they backported from Atilla its easy to manage while giving you a decent understanding of the groundwork all the games use and do more interesting things with
>>
>>578889
>only capital settlements have walls
I thought the last upgrade of the non capital main building gave them walls. Something like 'large rural settlement' and 'being the backbone of a nation' or something
>>
>>578915
>>578889
minor settlements are easier to defend though
minor settlements are the graveyards of ai armies. trying to hold onto walls puts you at a disatvantage.
not to mention that on the campaign level, the ai usually starves you out for a bit when it sieges you in a walled settlement
>>
>>578915
>I thought the last upgrade of the non capital main building gave them walls.
i think that was attila?
>>
>>578913
>The remaster is reminding a lot of oldfags of how lackluster a lot of parts of the original game
Was super funny watching volund have his remaster launch stream and him complaining about shit in the remaster, only for him to launch up OG rome and it being the same exact way. kek.
>>
Finally figured out how to mod barbarians into having large/huge cities
Gonna fine tune this mod for a bit and think of stuff I could give to the higher tier docks and recruitment centers, besides +1 XP for recruits or something
What should i add? Should i allow recruitment of "warlord" general-like units? I know barbarian invasion has that, where they take like 3 turns to recruit
>>
>Palmyra campaign
>Zenobia takes 3 husbands, all three die within a few years of natural causes
>all 3 are about her age, 30s
>becomes a depressive alcoholic after the second husband's death
>her son later dies of natural causes
>5 men in her life have died in a few short years, possibly intentionally by her
>mfw Zenobia might be an asymptomatic carrier of an STD
>mfw this means she did her son in too
I feel bad for the next sucker to enter Queen Mother's family
>>
File: 1617522532525.png (8 KB, 570x533)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>579107
>>579108
>>579120
>>
>>579124
gotta go fast
>>
>>579107
>>579108
>>579120
you ok little guy?
>>
>>577826
You sure? They said they'll try to tinker with it but nothing concrete.
>>
>>579099
Copying existing units is probably the second easiest solution after just giving +1 or +2 XP to the current roster
>>
>>579137
i think im gonna give mercenary units to the new buildings when its fitting, and maybe allow the recruitment of general's bodyguard as a standalone elite unit for the higher tier stables
>>
>>579148
If you want to go more in depth with regional recruitment/mercenaries you could add hidden resources to some of the settlements to only allow recruitment of certain units within those settlements
https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?17266-How-to-add-hidden-resources-and-use-them
>>
ive noticed that a lot of units in the game files are called things like "barb chieftain cavalry early german" or "carthaginian general's cavalry early"
what does early mean on this? i assume they're worse than non-early ones, but in what context do they appear in the campaign? are they the predefined generals at the start of the campaign? or teh generals you get until marian reforms happens?
>>
>>578937
>volund
The easily butthurt faggot? Is he gonna accept hes just a shogun 2 baby and stop lumping it together with the older games?
>>
>>579155
>or teh generals you get until marian reforms happens?
I believe this is the case
>>
>>579135
LITTLE??!? I shall arrange for your "mishap" with my imperial spymaster
>>
>>578893
>Didn't Divide et Impera solved most of the issues you just described?
It didn’t solve any of them. It’s not their fault though, it’s an amazing mod for sure but those things are just unmoddable at least for the moment.
>>
>>578915
>I thought the last upgrade of the non capital main building gave them walls.
Not in Rome 2, no
>>
>>577340
The boy lovers have come to town.
>>
>>577483
Because you're supposed to actually fight the battles, autoresolve is supposed to be a sacrifice. The game is designed for the battlefield play, autoresolving it away is just.... sacrilege.
>>
>>578650
Yeah, zero optimization. Even Rome 2 got a major optimization pass after Atilla was dropped/abandoned.
>>
>>578861
LOL it's RepublicOfPlay. He's nitpicking and bitching because CA fired his ass and blacklisted him. It's all he can do nowadays.
>>
>>579311
Not all battles are created equal.
I'd rather handwave a few of the uninteresting ones where i have overwhelming numbers rather than spend the next 5 minutes trying to cram my army into the city but as it is the auto resolve might as well not exist.
>>
>>578906
The building system alone of Rome 1 so far outclasses the utter mess that is Rome 2's that I can't help but disagree that it's a no brainer choice between the two.
>>
>>579319
He’s probably gonna be doing an updated review for Rome 2 soon, now that CA dropped support for it he’ll be talking about how it’s a way better game than people say and that CA should be updating it more instead of releasing a Rome 1 remaster
>>
>>579156
Volound is still seething over getting banned on Reddit.
>>
>>579324
I wouldn't be surprised at all. I can even picture it now, him hyping the problems and flaws of Rome 2 as if they were actually features and signs of quality design.
>>
I decided to pick up Rome 2 last year during a steam sale

I’ve already put more hours on Rome 1 Remastered in a few days than a whole year in Rome 2. It’s not even that I don’t like the newer games, my most played TW game is Warhammer 2, but there’s something about Rome 2 that puts me off. Maybe it’s the UI/unit cards, ugly characters, the campaign map or the terrible politics system (at least Attila has governors, even Rome 1 has this), or a mix of those things, but I just didn’t enjoy my time with the game that much
>>
>>578861
he is right tho
also he was very moderate in his opinions dunno why they butthurt
AI is still dumb(especially in sieges but in battles too), pathfinding in cities still suck, and UI is terrible and click heavy
you could expect something better in modern time
>>
>>579344
with this sentiment I agree
none of the nuTW hit on me
not Shogun 2(who at last is aesthetically looking good and have tolerable sieges) and definitely not any Rome 2 derivatives
Warham is mixed bag but at ;last it have solid setting and can be enjoyable
>>
>>579345
I don't think it's so much that he brought up those issues with Rome 1 as the fact that he compared the game negatively to Rome 2. The gaming world is generally extremely hesitant to excuse shitty launches like R2 had, especially when they were as hyped as they were for a sequel to the original Rome Total War which was a very highly regarded game at that point in time. It usually doesn't matter how much a dev fixes the game up later- if the game was shit at launch then it will be shit forever as far as they're concerned.
>>
>>579370
yeah rome 2 get heavy flak and i do not like it even after all these patching
still rtwr isn't that great
i am playing og rome now and all these problems are here
ai and pathfinding upgrade are much welcome and so old ui
some few extra units here and there would not make it worse too
>>
File: Persia.gif (112 KB, 800x581)
112 KB
112 KB GIF
I will bring back the great Persian Empire as Pontus the true heirs of the Achaemenids.
>>
>>579546
I was always disappointed that Rome 1 didn't include all of Persia in the game, wtf is the point of even playing the Seleucids or Macedon if you can't even hold/conquer the rest of Alexander's empire, your only option for that is to play that awful expansion and that has its own problems
>>
>>579554
same
>>
>>578872
>Rome 2 in terms of both content and gameplay
AI has it's exploitable quirks in both, it's not really better in either. I'd argue I have an easier time exploiting the Rome 2 AI but it really depends on situation they're both braindead.
Pathfinding is worse in Rome 1 in cities.
Rome 2 has more historical realism autism if that's your thing.

However,
Armies are locked to Generals.
Buildings are a lot harder to value which options are better due to every building having a large amount of modifiers, and there's little depth once you get your head around the number bloat.
Province system
>Warscape engine
Model healthbars instead of the hitpoint system
Worse load times and end turn times generally although this is very system dependent
Music is worse

I kept hearing
>They fixed it Rome 2 is so much better now!
At least it runs better than it did and less stuff is broken but I can't play past like 20ish turns without getting horrifically bored and I couldn't really say definitively what it is.
>>
>>579570
Oh and I forgot to even mention unit gookclick abilities which are terrible.
Also on a super subjective standpoint, I find Rome 2 incredibly ugly. It's mostly the weird colour grading that has barely any colour variation and makes everything just a dark yellow tint but also units are really hard to distinguish and are mostly just dark blobs with not much colour.
>>
>>579570
>still seething about the Warscape engine
Napoleon, Shogun 2, Attila all run on the Warscape engine and those games are amazing, it's not the engine's fault
>>
File: laughing planes.jpg (87 KB, 758x768)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>579586
>Napoleon, Shogun 2, Attila all run on the Warscape engine and those games are amazing
>>
Important Announcement for Total War Modders
>>
>>579616
?
explain
>>
>>579344
Rome 2 battles are a fucking bore, and the campaign is very monotonous too
Its the worst purchase i ever did
>>579617
when uploading mods to the workshop, you can use content from warhammer titles only if you're modding for a warhammer title. For history titles any total war content is okay as long as its not from warhammer games.
>>
>>579624
Pretty shitty, at least you can avoid that with manually adding mods from places like twc
>>
>>579664
yeah, i mean it makes sense for them to not want to get in legal trouble, specially with licenses they dont actually own like Warhammer
if its out in the open they can probably just ignore it
>>
File: 20210506191559_1.jpg (350 KB, 1920x1080)
350 KB
350 KB JPG
Playing Barbarian Invasion as the Celts
The Saxons allied with WRE and tried to block my ports so I responded by marching on their lands. I defeated their main army in a field battle so it was easy to scoop up their three settlements afterwards. For some reason I thought they'd turn into a horde faction, but they were destroyed instead. I'm guessing it's because I killed their last remaining family members in a siege battle.

I'm absolutely loaded after sacking two Roman cities (pic related) and while pondering my next moves I noticed the Franks are bankrupt on top of being down to only one settlement with only a tiny garrison. I guess they're next on the chopping block.
>>
>>579709
Some barbarian factions don't horde and the Saxons are one of them, been like that since the original
>>
>>579715
That's curious. I was almost certain that I'd played as them 10-15 years ago and destroyed my own capital so I could become a horde faction. I guess it must've been as one of the other factions then.
>>
>>579720
Yeah, it was one of the other factions for sure, or you were using a mod. The Alemanni are another barbarian faction that can't horde. The logic was probably that these groups didn't really form hordes and migrate wholesale like the other ones that can horde did historically. Many Saxons of course left and settled in England but many still remained behind, it wasn't a pure mass migration like with Ostrogoths or Slavs etc.
>>
>>579724
That seems to be the case. I took over the Frankish city as I had planned and it spawned a handful of horde stacks in one of the neighbouring regions. I'll have to keep an eye out for where they go.
>>
File: 20210506222730_1.jpg (452 KB, 1920x1080)
452 KB
452 KB JPG
>Besiege the Alemanni
>Severely outnumber them
>Surround them by making several holes in their wall
>Easily overpower most of their army since they're split up
>Generals make a last stand in the town square
>Their faction leader single-handedly wipes out 1/3 of my army, kills my general and makes my entire army rout
epic
>>
>>579905
what a chad
>>
>>579616
Based in telling “le paid mods” to fuck off, at least.
>>
>>579286
>It didn’t solve any of them
well it solved pop and supply lines and some important cities not having walls. along with more focus on recruiting AoR troops until enough of your own pop converts to newly conquered cities. id say it solved a good bit.
>>
>>579324
>>579329
>how it’s a way better game than people say and that CA should be updating it more instead of releasing a Rome 1 remaster

fucking hell you brainlets, he actually gave a fair and honest review. its not like he is mindlessly seething like the other retards. he actually is mixed and likes a lot of the remaster. his major issue is with the AI. an opinion can be a lot more nuanced than
>ME LIKE IT ME NO LIKE IT
>>
>>579987
Some important cities not having walls wasn't solved by DeI per se, they simply ported the Imperator Augustus map to the Grand Campaign which was much improved in this regard (why the fuck didn't CA do this themselves after IA came out?), since you can't actually edit any maps themselves. A nice step in the right direction for sure, but there are still cities renowned for having walls from that time period that are wall-less and there's nothing anyone can do about it, it's just a permanent downside of the game that will never go away unless some miraculous modding breakthrough occurs.
>>
>>579370
>The gaming world is generally extremely hesitant to excuse shitty launches like R2 had, especially when they were as hyped as they were for a sequel to the original Rome Total War which was a very highly regarded game at that point in time. It usually doesn't matter how much a dev fixes the game up later- if the game was shit at launch then it will be shit forever as far as they're concerned.
Sure but as was his point, for a newcomer Rome 2 will likely be the better choice because somehow Feral managed to make a UI worse than Rome 2. Rome 2 also has more factions and the world feels more alive with all the independent factions in the world compared to rome 1 vanilla. Plus the AI being a little better and 2bh, the battle spacing issues present at launch are not that horrible as they were, so a newcomer would not know any better.

For him, the big deal breaker was the AI, and thats honestly very fair, playing remaster, it rears its ugly head time and time again. Me personally, I find the campaign too good in the remaster to not be discouraged from it, but I never liked vanilla rome anyways so while im waiting for RTR, I am currently playing DEI.
>>
>>580008
>Rome 2 also has more factions and the world feels more alive with all the independent factions in the world compared to rome 1 vanilla.
Too bad those factions never do anything interesting. Rome 2's campaigns are just autoresolve steamrolls even if you're not min-maxing. There's no population, your troops auto-regenerate anywhere on the map, every battle just feels meaningless as a result, and the campaigns are extremely boring and empty.
>>
will they end up making coop campaigns for rome 1 remastered? or was it all lies
>>
>>580023
Was that even promised? And if they did say coop was it intentionally worded vaguely so it'd just be something like LAN multiplayer?
>>
>>580023
They said they're well aware of the high demand and will look into adding them. Between the mediocre reception and the fact that Warhammer 3 is coming out not too long from now, CA might not fund the Remaster long enough for stuff like online co-op, a potential re-worked UI etc to happen. Maybe if it did much better we'd be in a different situation.
>>
>>580020
Remember we are comparing vanilla to vanilla here. A lot of interesting factions get gobbled up in rome 1 as well, and then when you expand, after fighting a good share of rebels, you meet a handful of factions. Compare that to rome 2 where there is always some faction to interact with and plenty to do so with.
>There's no population, your troops auto-regenerate anywhere on the map, every battle just feels meaningless as a result, and the campaigns are extremely boring and empty.
For a new player, these things would not exactly be negatives. Hell even some old rome 1 players like some of those changes. Plus rome 2 has COOP campaign, which is a hell of a plus since you can always replace the AI with your friend in those big battles for more of a challenge. I think its quite fun. Vanilla rome 1 feels far too barren with the limited factions, smaller unit rosters and super fast battles. Even when I played OG rome as a teen, I always used mods like EB1 because vanilla was not that good.

So I wait for the bigger conversion mods to come out for the remaster.
>>
>>580046
>Remember we are comparing vanilla to vanilla here.
I know that. Rome 2 is complete trash in vanilla, possibly the worst campaign experience in the series.
>>
>>580046
>For a new player, these things would not exactly be negatives.
I basically dropped Rome 2 because of those things after figuring the game out and completing a Macedon campaign. After the first 20 turns, I only fought siege defense battles and a couple major field battles. Region management was a complete chore, and left most areas feeling closer to each other than in Rome 1. Rome 2 may have had more factions, but they have far less personality than Rome 1 - battles end up feeling like spearmanii vs spearmanii, regardless whether I'm a barbarian, a Greek, or Rome.
>>
>>580046
>rome 1 feels far too barren
Funnily enough I feel the exact opposite; to me the Rome 1 map feels more alive because of all the small details like watchtowers, trade resources on the map, trade caravans travelling along the road/sea routes, diplomats and smaller armies walking around the map.
In rome 2, however, the map is devoid of all of these things. You just have a big empty map with flat cities that usually tend to have a 20 man army camped on top of it.
If it doesn't have a 20 man army on top of it (since all armies in this game are 20 man armies due to the fact you need a general and can't break off smaller forces to reinforce/relieve an army or settlement elsewhere) then you can just walk right up to it and on the same turn either capture the settlement with your 95% auto resolve rate or fight a one-sided stomp battle since garrison units are trash.
Of course all of this also applies to the AI and so it makes me feel like the campaign eventually just turns into a whack-a-mole game where armies move around and try to snipe settlements. Lost 60% of your army while in foreign territory? No problem, you'll have it all back in two turns.
>>
>>580112
I love that Rome 1 also has dynamic battle maps, each individual tile on the map will dictate the terrain, layout etc of your battle. You can even see landmarks and world wonders etc in the distance if you're appropriately close enough to them. Building construction actually gets reflected in settlement battles.
In Rome 2 if I remember right there's like a dozen or so battle maps that get recycled, settlement battles follow the same few templates only ever changing based on basic settlement size, and so on. Feels way less like a dynamic, living world than Rome 1's campaign does.
>>
>>580070
>but they have far less personality than Rome 1 - battles end up feeling like spearmanii vs spearmanii, regardless whether I'm a barbarian, a Greek, or Rome.
thats actually what i like, especially for the autism mods in rome 1. cant stand the silly bronze age egypt and other stuff in vanilla rome. so spearmanii is right up my alley.
>>580112
>>580112
>to me the Rome 1 map feels more alive because of all the small details like watchtowers, trade resources on the map, trade caravans travelling along the road/sea routes, diplomats and smaller armies walking around the map.
while small details on the map itself are nice, graphics dont decide whether or not a game is good for me. vanilla rome 2 does have plenty of agents armies rolling around, especially late game as powers start to get consolidated where they get more armies and agents. it is there on the map, i dont know what you are talking about but things like the wonders and little mine resources are there present. along with other minor details like local animals and what not. i think the maps are on par. and the game does have dynamic resources which would be vital to either trade or control for buildings.

>If it doesn't have a 20 man army on top of it (since all armies in this game are 20 man armies due to the fact you need a general and can't break off smaller forces to reinforce/relieve an army or settlement elsewhere) then you can just walk right up to it and on the same turn either capture the settlement with your 95% auto resolve rate or fight a one-sided stomp battle since garrison units are trash.
its not better in rome 1 though. often AI does not even have troops defending their cities or armies near to defend it. it is especially a problem in the early game where the AI is less likely to have full stacks so there are a bunch of dumb little groups of men waiting to be picked off, then you go into their city and waltz right in, with the terrible pathfinding as well.
>>
>>580129
>I love that Rome 1 also has dynamic battle maps, each individual tile on the map will dictate the terrain, layout etc of your battle. You can even see landmarks and world wonders etc in the distance if you're appropriately close enough to them. Building construction actually gets reflected in settlement battles.
yea rome 2 has nothing like that
>>
>>580039
>mediocre reception
i think that was mostly because for some reason they handed out most keys to warhammer youtubers who had no fucking clue how to play the old games and didnt know what to expect
real rome 1 players have some criticism but most dont outright say its bad overall
>>
>Never really done naval warfare
>Decide to do a Mori campain
>It's not much different than usual
I don't know what I expected. Mori colors are kinda cool though.
>>
>>576497
ive messed around with rome 1 for years but am currently making a real attempt to get into it (original not remaster). just getting started and refmailiarizing myself but I'm having fun and it feels good with these old TW titles (proper unit collision, formation fighting instead of heros/raw unit stat stacking) to come up with workable tactics and formations.

Can't express enough how much I love Roman infantry for having every soldier carry javelins.

pic related is a shape I ended up with cucking gallic light cav out of easy flanks and skirmishing them to death.
>>
i put the game on ultra but the colors seem so muted...
is there a way to make the game more sunny? or did i just get unlucky and get an overcast settlement view
>>
>>580212
Just unlucky, if you keep checking the settlement view you can sometimes get different times of day, different levels of clouds and stuff that change the lighting quite a bit
>>
>>580203
>Can't express enough how much I love Roman infantry for having every soldier carry javelins.
The Spanish and Carthaginian have scutarii too. Iberian tribes supposedly did fight with heavy infantry in a similar way legions would, its a shame they're such an afterthought of a faction, and have such fucking bad morale for some reason compared to other barb factions.
>>
>>580215
>other barb factions
It's because Spain is actually a Carthage mirror rather than a barb faction.
>>
>>580215
if the non roman factions are weak or neglected hard enough, is it worth looking for a re-balancing mod when I've had enough of vanilla?
>>
>>580226
yeah i know.. ive been goign through the files and all units are actually "carthaginian peltast" or "carthaginian slinger", having all the carthage stats and environment effects
>>580227
yes
this is my favorite one for Classic Rome
https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?790616-ahowl11-s-Vanilla-Enhancement-Mod-(AVE)
>Nerfs chariots and removes Britains settlement in belgium so that they dont steamroll the gauls every time
>Buffs carthage slightly and gives them archers
>Puts landbridges in the constantinople strait, gibraltar strait, and a few more, for more organic AI expansion (they suck at sea invasion)
Theres also this Barbarian mod for Remastered
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2478620066
>>
File: 5t4fi97fb9x61.png (1000 KB, 828x829)
1000 KB
1000 KB PNG
>>
>>580240
fuck that lets talk about that time Diocletian's horse saved the lives of an entire city (Alexandria) by tripping/laying down.
>>
>>580046
I am playing OG Rome1 right now and desu you are wrong.
Map is more alive in 1 that 2 and even limited roosters add to the game by making every faction play differently and making mercenary troops great addition to some armies.
Sure its not great and AI is not very smart but damn. i actually have fun compared to all nuTW(outside of Warham for different reasons).
>>
>>580230
>ahowl11-s-Vanilla-Enhancement-Mod-(AVE)
problem is that instead of simply making small vanilla enhancement mod he add and add and add more stuff to the point that its a big conversion mod but also he never properly balance it
>>
>>580227
yes but its hard to find good one
they either change not enough or too much
I started playing OG Rome again like month ago and started doing some modding myself to help AI and re balance factions and units in fun way(semi historical but without autism)
>>
>>580046
>Remember we are comparing vanilla to vanilla here
And we are also comparing a game from 2013 that received continuous updates until a couple years ago to a game released in 2004 with a fresh coat of paint

For what Rome 2 is, it’s still pretty lacklustre compared to what it could have and should have been
>>
>>580267
what are you talking about? its as vanilla as it gets-
oh shit, i sent the wrong one, i always confuse their names
This is the one i meant to send:
>Vanilla Balance Mod
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php/90798-Barbarossa82-s-Gold-Mod-Collection-Vanilla-Balance-Mod-VBM-for-BI-Alexander-Reborn
>>
File: alalalalai.png (1.38 MB, 1423x1009)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
>>580286
thanks I will check it
>>
Whats a decent early/mid game Greenskin army against Eshin?

Their Gutter Runners and Night Slingers are too fast for my infantry, out perform my archers and just tough enough to threaten my wolf/spider riders to make it a little scary when they do catch them.
>>
>>580294
its a pretty old mod so links are dead, but theres a guy among the last replies who posted Mirrors for the download, just like in the twcenter thread
>>
File: persian termopile.jpg (211 KB, 869x1262)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>580300
thanks
shame I didn't know Earline
would use this as base for my vanilla plus mod
>>
>>580301
>Earline
i dont know what that is, but if its that comic it looks cool
>>
>>580303
>earlier
and comics is Alexandros
https://mangakakalot.com/chapter/alexandros_sekai_teikoku_e_no_yume/chapter_1
>>
>>576497
>rich enough that im just buying territories from parthia now to hit 50 as house julii
>still need to fight the civil war so i can take control of rome
its going to be a cakewalk, but i just dont give enough of a shit at the moment to clean up the campaign. im getting over 25k per turn. i figured out that you need to spend 24k to buy a huge city from someone, so ive just been using that method to buy whatever the hell i want.
>>
>>579586
They're good despite the engine, that doesn't stop it from being a downside. Especially R2 generation of it.
>>
>>579905
generals on town squares are fucking hardcore man. Your best bet is to lead them off the square so you can surround and break them
>>
>>579588
shogun 2 and attila are great, idk what they fuck they did to rome 2 to make it that bad
maybe it was that bloated budget spent into mocap for battles that were carefully forced into 1v1, or the fact that they barely even playtested the game
>>
>>579586
Those games are good in spite of the engine, Warscape is still shit
>>
>>580323
>classical antiquity setting where heavy infantry were the defining force for hundreds of years
>engine that didn't have unit collision built natively into it, only jury rigged in later
Rome 2 was doomed from inception.
>>
>>577483
im guessing that it took a look at your command stat vs the opponent's and figured you would be outmaneuvered.
>>
>>577783
based. you have earned a coin minted by Constantine the Great depicting the Alammanian Kings kneeling to him and begging for mercy. A true Roman currency for a true Roman general.
>>
>>577198
immersive
>>
>>580313
cool comic, thanks
>>
>>578240
nice!
>>
>>579905
I have been on the other end, but as Goths vs Vandals. Fought to the last man, almost. But in the end the few strong Gothic Warriors, expelled the Vandal Horde from the town.
>>
>>577198
you have learned the same harsh lesson as many a Roman and Byzantine Emperor: never. Never. NEVER strike deals with barbarian hordes without PLANNING for their betrayal.
>>
>>580371
>shield made for underarm use
>guy still use it overarm
>>
File: qart_hadasht_redes.jpg (663 KB, 985x700)
663 KB
663 KB JPG
>>580384
idk if its accurate but its by a woman called Sandra Delgado who makes lots of cool art
in this one for instance, she gives the carthaginian red tile roofs as if they were roman, the stupid bitch, but the art is still nice
>>
File: overarm vs underarm.jpg (234 KB, 728x1027)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>580389
nah i am just laughing from overarm spear use
>>
File: x.png (872 KB, 1654x617)
872 KB
872 KB PNG
>>580286
I checked but its case of too little
>also use older version of bugfix
still may use bits of it
currently working on some roosters and on upgrading them in looks(but still to keep vanilla colors)
then I will start changing their stats and sizes
its pretty fun ngl
>>
Clan Eshin or Moulder?
>>
>>579554
For some reason, I think Medieval 1, they decided to stop at the Caspian Sea and until Rome 2 that held true. I guess it's the view that Mesopotamia is generally the furthest that any Western armies have regularly gotten until the age of sail (and Alexander excepting). As much as I hate Rome2 omitting India it's map, if you expand to the steppe proper and don't have such shitty settlement choices (1 province sicily) feels far better as an option. The Jaxarus and Oxus river and Hindu Kush feel like a good natural barrier more than the Iranian Plateau does. If you omit the Iranian Plateau you lose out on a lot of dynamics while if you omit India the only people who suffer are the factions who start off in the Far-east and who would expand into India more than Westward.

The real dream-team for that Western Eurasia Total war stuff though would be, unless you're back in the late bronze age where you should only do the Eastern Mediterranean to Mesopotamia, would be the Mundus Magus map but with the whole of India included. Then you pretty much have everything self-contained as the only people with major expansion beyond that would be the Mongols who appear off-map.
>>
File: 97a.jpg (25 KB, 500x374)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2479074466
>>
Apparently Iberian Infantry wasnt that far off from the real deal in Classic Rome... anyone know what they look like in Remastered?
>>
>>580488
My first real experience with modding was making a ton of custom traits for Medieval 2. A majority of them were just tiny bonuses, but a lot of them gave the characters an epithet or a title because I thought it was cool when you came across random AI generals and they had titles rather than generic names.
I think I ended up with around 2-300 different traits but I lost all my work when I did a reinstallation of the game

I thought about making a bunch of traits for the Rome remaster but I feel Medieval 2's stats and setting are way better for it
>>
File: 82438942892894942.png (1.44 MB, 1848x448)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
>>580508

I really love the Iberian look, and it's a shame Rome 2 stunk because I'd have loved to work on them texture wise/unit design wise.

I will probably buy Rome remastered before the price jumps up and see if I can't do some modding adjustments, but like >>580582 I really wish we could get a Medieval 2 remastered as I'd love to go HAM on that. I've got a fucking amazing resource for 1000-1200s almost 10 years ago that I haven't been able to use, but it gives some of the most accurate accounts of what medieval soldiery would look like.
>>
>>577491
>Just make sure your new unit is the last in the queue.
i think in the remaster that doesnt actually matter anymore, i still do it out of habit tho
>>
>>576497
which mod adds hellenic egypt?
>>
>college exams til 2nd june so cant continue my brutiichad playthrough
FUCK
at least there'll be some nice mods out by then
>>
File: unknown.png (64 KB, 121x251)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
Anyone else get confused AF by this?
>>
>>581478
Not really
>>
>>578240
Cool, I usually subjugate the moorish factions or raze their lands, because I hate the blocky borders in Attila yes, autism
>>
>>580748
this one does
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2471785947
>>
>>578884
Where are your metsuke?
>>
>>577198
They did a good job coding the german AI sounds like
>>
>>580323
They've also spend a lot of time to make a map generator for battlemaps that used a detailed height map of the mediterranean. They've spent a lot of time and money on it because it didn't work properly for a long time. I think ultimately handcrafted maps are way easier to be more fun to play on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8-PRhz1UU4
>>
File: twrrsteppefu.jpg (253 KB, 902x676)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>tfw no kawaii dirt covered steppe waifu
It hurts bros...
>>
>>579570
>At least it runs better than it did and less stuff is broken but I can't play past like 20ish turns without getting horrifically bored and I couldn't really say definitively what it is.
There's simple optimal city/province builds which is effectively the same as an infinite money glitch so you can just spam armies and basically ignore any losses.

DeI solves these issues, but introduces some of its own.
>>
>surround a stacked AI fort with two full stacks
>cool, let's do a coop assault
>decide to let the AI command one of the two armies
>the AI rams its general in the middle of the enemy gets my one of my fucking family members killed
should've just bitten the fucking bullet and gone w/ autoresolve
>>
>>580203
making steady progress. I'm a little leary about an upcoming push that will probably have my first double full banner battle in it. I know the AI is pathetic but I can't micro for shit in any game so I'm still... nervous if I'm not sure I have the edge going in.

really feeling like I need 5-10 turns of peace to just take a breath, round out a few towns and armies and refocus. Does total war always feel like that? Might help if the ai could be relied upon to honor ceasefires but it always spergs out and attacks the very next turn.
>>
>>581967
to compensate for poor micro in engagements I fought the assault on Iuvavum in stages, letting mercenaries take the brunt of the damage while cycling out Hestati whenever a unit ran out of pila. very gradually took control of the space and tried to keep any one unit from taking too many losses; id rather rely on 8 units with 90% strength in future battles than have to try and make a unit with 50% strength hold a line.
>>
File: rome_1_morale_nosnd.webm (2.36 MB, 960x540)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB WEBM
why are slingers so shit
>>
>>581872
>DeI solves these issues, but introduces some of its own.
I love the pop system in DEI
>>
>>581971
>treating mercenaries like disposable trash
Kino
>>
>>581994
I've found the mercenary slingers to be pretty good. Not quite as good as Cretan archers, but they definitely also get the job done
>>
>>582019
well in the webm i posted 3 slingers fire 9 times = total of 27 projectiles

and they dont get a single kill.. and they're balearic slingers, the best in the game, with 2XP.
>>
>>582011
The barbarian filth multiply at a rate that would cast shade over the most ambitious of wild hares. Better to give them the honor of dying for a higher purpose than to waste a drop of True Roman blood.
>>
>>
What's the ideal rome army composition?
>1 general
>3 cavalry
>8 principes
>6 triarii
>2 siege engine
is there a better way to do it?
>>
>>582024
have you tried using more than 3
>>
>>579994
One need not be seething to give a disingenuous review. Republic is a lot less of a hothead than Volound - still, he has the same chip on his shoulder against CA.
>>
>>582152
>disingenuous review
lmao in what way? for him, he wanted better AI and the remaster doesnt have it, especially in his playthroughs. i suppose giving a nuanced review is equal to disingenuous in your eyes. he doesnt dislike the remaster, only that he is mixed on it with the AI being the biggest failure. which is totally fair, and him wishing they improved the AI when they changed numerous other things about the game, with the biggest being the UI, is a fair thing to ask. its childish to think that because he didnt suck the cock of feral that he has a chip on his shoulder. he can like certain aspects of a game and not like the others.
>>
>>582152
hating CA is the only sensible choice. shitty company making shitty decisions and squandering the leading series in a genre that deserves better.

Every Total War after Medieval 2 is dogshit, with the partial exception of Shogun 2 which is okay for what it is but the battles still feel like shit thanks to the engine.
>>
File: 20210508032526_1.jpg (732 KB, 1920x1080)
732 KB
732 KB JPG
I love making good Roman formations
>>582147
>not creating a proper manipular legion with Velites, Hastati, Principes, Triarii and Equites
NGMI
>>
File: UI_Comparison.png (3.23 MB, 1280x1521)
3.23 MB
3.23 MB PNG
Thoughts?
>>
File: UI_Comparison2.png (3.99 MB, 1600x2102)
3.99 MB
3.99 MB PNG
>>582224
>>
>>582224
>>582226
If that 2nd ui is from the remaster then I'd say it's 100% that all future total war games not made for Warhammer or some other license are going to be mobile phone gacha garbage. That's absolutely an ipad interface.
>>
File: 0008.png (2.14 MB, 1360x768)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB PNG
Modded Rome Classic looks pretty damn good, specially with Veggiemod
>>
>>582229
yeah theres no UI mods yet sadly. Its like a mix of nu-TW and a phone game. The size of different elements varies a lot, like theres TINY recruitment and building menus to the right of the campaign UI that made me turn the UI scaling to 120% even tho the rest of things are pretty good size.
>>
>>582226
i think the new ui for units is better, alerts menu was a stupid idea, but i like not having the ui take up a decent chunk of your screen to display units that dont exist. the action buttons are stupid aswell tho, hard to read and clicking them would be even more annoying.

one further thing that annoys me is that idk how to permanently organize my units, id drag them to the right spot and the second i leave the battle they are all over the place again, in the classic id organize them with groups once and id be done with it
>>
File: rome-tw-difference.png (339 KB, 800x600)
339 KB
339 KB PNG
I love browsing ancient websites or forum posts and see what their perspective on things were.
https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/graphics/nvidia_6600gt_agp/6/
>>
>>582224
its shit
why they even mess with that I have no idea
>>
>>582254
>using long spear overarm
they ngmi
>>
>>582254
what i don't like it this big 'historic' conversions is that they abandon faction colors for more 'historic' look
>>
watching a TW youtuber unable to figure out how to make phalanx units run in the remaster is really making my day
of course, hes one of the few faggots who preffers Rome 2 over 1 so he has no idea about its mechanics
https://youtu.be/lHLb1J7lSH4?t=810
>>582391
yeah the colors look so muted in Europa Barbarorum, it all blends together.
>>
>>582402
>spic speak
ughg
>>
File: 20210508084611_1.jpg (419 KB, 1235x1049)
419 KB
419 KB JPG
The fuck is this???? I didn't change it, this is from the "classic" control layout
>>
>>582411
yeah i hate it too, thats why im moving out to the USA ASAP
>>
>>582388
So tell me total war anons, which one is correct, over arm or under arm? For both ancient history and middle ages.
>>
File: phalanx.jpg (631 KB, 1648x807)
631 KB
631 KB JPG
>tfw your leader dies of your own phalanx
>>
File: phalanx.jpg (62 KB, 1059x747)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
they went crazy with hoplite's spears in the original rome. At least Sarissas are mostly correct length i think
>>582484
Most depictions are overarm aren't they? Plus, if they fight with overarm spears, they have more space to stab without hitting their friends, and they can aim for the head and vital organs more easily, trying to go above the enemy shield
>>
File: file.png (745 KB, 564x793)
745 KB
745 KB PNG
Whats your favorite Hellenic faction to play as?
I always liked Macedon over Greece for some reason.
Now I'm doing a Pontus campaign with the Total Conquest mod in the remaster
>>
>>578861
Not really, Rome 1 has better battles than the tw games that were released after it.
>>
File: Sane Critique_anims.webm (1.99 MB, 482x360)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB WEBM
>>578861
i fucking hate Rome 2 and i paid full price for that heap of trash. Units go on 1v1 fights so its just generic bland "Stat vs Stat" fight with no real battle physics. Cavalry and infantry charges both fucking suck, theres no momentum to anything, and you won't ever see units ganging up on a single lone unit like in the original rome.
They basically sacrificed game flow and actual battle mechanics to show off their mocap 1v1 faggot animations for warriors. Animations might look worse in the original but they lead to much more organic fights where the people with actual numerical advantage dont just wait for their turn for a fucking 1v1.
That on top of all the false advertising and other shitty business practices they did on Rome 2. They really went crazy with DLC for that trashfire. Didn't like it then, don't like it now. Did they fix it? Good for them, but the core game still sucks. The only reason it has more players than Attila, wich is better in every way, is that its got muh romans wich is a popular setting, and retards are willing to accept all the shittiness just to play with muh romans and muh graphics.
>>
>>581478
Top one is marking what kind of unit they are, bottom one is what they're doing.
>>
>>577019
>>577049
>>576497
nice screenies
>>
>>582193
Medieval 2 is dogshit and only salvaged by mods. Shogun 2 was the last TW game that stood on its own merits.
>>
>>582581
even if true, there's dozens of quality mods and they just keep growing and getting update. Total War games are practically reliant on mods for long term replayability.
>>
>>582608
>Total War games are practically reliant on mods for long term replayability
Just the shit ones.
>>
>>582581
Medieval 2 is great. You have shit taste.
>>
>>582484
under arm
better reach, precision, control and you can attack from legs to head easily
overarm depiction is a depiction of chugging javelins at each other
not even mentioning that overarm spear usage is hard on joints and extremely bad for formation fighting unless you want to smack your allies(or yourself) over the head
the overarm spear is a meme made by old pricks who never used one
>>
>>582581
>Shogun 2 was the last TW game that stood on its own merits
nah
its only saving grace is that its not Empire or Rome 2
>>
>>583039
this guy ghets it.
melee-based battle lines in an engine with no native unit collision and forced 1v1 duels for all fights is garbage.

had a lot of good design in the campaign map and mechanics though. only total war you could broker a peace that the ai wouldn't instantly break. seasons forcing the occasional breather turn and forcing you to plan out your campaigns to avoid attrition. realm divide providing a good end game challenge.

shame the battles feel like slippery, blobby weird stat based garbage.
>>
File: 1580584060906.png (437 KB, 653x505)
437 KB
437 KB PNG
The rival Roman factions could be a bit more wary of the Roman player. Yeah, don't mind me parking 8 full stacks with siege engines in front of your major settlements while most of your armies are in Africa and Germania, just keeping the peace lol.
I mean even the intros make clear they have no love or trust for each other, it would be nice to see the AI act like it.
>>
>>581478
>top symbol is showing that the unit is an archer, the bottom shows that it is currently firing
>>
File: rome achiev.png (173 KB, 1040x218)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
>mfw nobody is playing Germanic
I've never been in the 1% before, damn
>>
>>583486
The AI doesn't a 20 stack of troops next to your capital in Italy?
It does that to me almost every time.
>>
>>583587
Nope. Playing as the Brutii, the Julii prostitutes have like 6 full stacks and about an equal amount of half stacks all concentrated in Germania Superior besieging the last remaining Briton settlement in continental Europe, while the Scipii trash have 4 full stacks around Messina on Sicily, two more around Carthage, and about a two 3/4 stacks just sitting on the Balearic islands. I took 8 settlements on the first turn of hostilities and after the second turn is finished I'll have the whole of Italy except Latium itself, without facing off against even one full army or meaningful garrison in it.
>>
Playing RTW OG, the Julii have done fuck all apart from take sardinia and 1 province in spain finally. The scipii wont fight fucking carthage so all they've done is swoop in and take a few cities in Greece after I did all the hard work. At least it'll be easy to bribe and take over these shits when the civil war starts.
I think Triarii should be available much sooner. It's kind of a joke that Rome doesn't get a spear unit, although I suppose it forces you to use the samnites which is good for flavour. I'm thinking of just building hastati from now on, as princepes seem slower on the field for very little extra combat power, and they can't be reinforced from most places you capture either.
>>
Were Hoplites always this OP?
I held off 10 Scythia units with 3 German Spearmanni during a siege and only lost half of my own units
>>
>>583689
How long are you in? In my remastered campaign, Julii have Germania, Gaul, and Spain in their entirety, getting as far north east as Domus Dulcis Domus, and it's not even 200 BC yet. Scipii have meanwhile taken whole of Africa west of Cyrenaica, which isn't that much in terms of settlements, but still.
>>
>>583747
in my brutii campaign the other roman factions made absolutely no progress whatsover, i think the scipii took syracuse maybe and that was the end of that, for some reason all of them were just vibing in northern italy with a just a handful of units. this was on very hard/very hard dont know if that affects them or not
>>
>>583727
All phalanx units are ridiculously strong in defensive sieges
>>
File: 20210508022524_1.jpg (620 KB, 1600x1200)
620 KB
620 KB JPG
>>583516
i still somehow find the OG unit cards more recognizable
after spending like 30 hours in the remaster, going back to Rome 1 just makes me think its so much better
>>
>>583554
germanic are niggers of the Europe so no wonder
>>
File: 1606703512291.png (294 KB, 392x714)
294 KB
294 KB PNG
So I have never actually bothered to play long enough in one save to trigger the civil war as the romans, in old RTW, and I have a question.

I have gotten the message to commit sudoku with my faction leader multiple times now, and you can just ignore the mission, not declining or accepting it, and it either resets before finishing back to 10 turns, or counts all the way down and then nothing happens. Even though it says "you will be outlawed" for failing to do it.

Will this just keep happening forever? was it always like this where you got to choose when to strike the first blow? because I was panicking the first time it happened and moving troops around, but now its just not starting. So I have to be the one to attack first? so what does "being outlawed" mean then?

thanks for reading my blog
>>
whats your favorite moment to save in a campaign? i usually save when im kinda tired and theres a battle coming up, so i save in the battle screen and play the battle next day i load up the game
https://www.strawpoll.me/45248398
>>
>>584209
dunno, i have many hundreds of hours in that game but mostly as non-roman factions
maybe melkor or that RTW guides dude have an answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJbvLFY9vlI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h45g0o0qCnw
>>
File: 1572125805186.jpg (39 KB, 640x426)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>584254
From what I can find elsewhere, in original rome you had to choose, between suiciding or refusing and starting the war. In the remaster, with the new message system, you can just ignore it, and it seems to loop forever, meaning you can take your time to start it. I guess it's a bug then, or unintended mechanic, either way I sure as shit am gonna abuse it
>>
>>584261
i wish its not all hardcoded and somebody figures out how to "fix" a lot of these campaign mechanics like Compensation and diplomacy..
>>
File: beotian helmet.png (219 KB, 688x810)
219 KB
219 KB PNG
>>584261
remaster sound worse and worse
i was little hyped but its look like its just not so good
>>
>>583036
>>582494
mixed results here, anons...
Personally, my assumptions is that it matters on the spear length, formation and situation.
Long spears of course would not make sense over arm, but under arm would not be good in the tight shield wall and so on.
>>
>>582147

I'd say for accuracy it should be x2 Principes and hastati to x1 triarii. So 12 Princ/Hast total, 3 Triarii = 15 units. general is 16. 2 velites, 2 cavalry. Or 10 princ/hast, 2 triarii = 12 units total, 13 with general leaving 7 for light infantry/cavalry/scorpio. No catapults unless it's a siege.
>>
>>584209
I haven't played the remaster but in the original messages like senate missions would always pop up at the center of the screen and stop you from playing until you'd dealt with them.
>>
anyone else notice how the AI in remastered sometimes just pulls out of sieges they're making for no apparent reason?
>>
>>582147
>>584337
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW7nnEe1Bpk
>>
File: 1599683993675.jpg (344 KB, 1400x933)
344 KB
344 KB JPG
>>584338
speaking of retarded bugs

has there been any word about them fixing the annoying fucking units turning and looking random directions and fucking up your formation, even in guard mode with no orders given when using missiles?

especially annoying with legionnaires or any infantry with ranged, also makes using the new alt-drag formation feature useless because the moment any of your units uses their ranged weapons you got to redraw the formation again over and over.
>>
>>582484
Storm of Spears does a very exhaustive historical research, both with actual vase stuff but also with scientific studies. That being said odds are military tactics and martial arts have developed without an eye towards a clinical science of it. However they favored the idea of underhand but high - armpit height, like a punch being drawn back. You can think of it like:

>Overhand reversed grip
>overhand not reversed grip
>Underhand but with the spear roughly beneath the armpit
>Underhand low, with it by the hip

Underhand armpit basically works the best in various issues - it allows the spear to be moved from resting on the shoulders during a march to battle ready in close order, it doesn't require the wrist twist or change of grip, it has the most physical strength behind it, it doesn't interfere with the next man's shield (as low underhand does).

The way the guy with the lion thing on his shield is holding it is how they considered underhand but high/armpit. And that's the one I believe. That said, for medieval you'd need to look at manuscript art. I googled the maciejowski bible and I already see one spear being held reverse grip overhand. I'd wager there wasn't a single one size fits all solution.
>>
Idea for a RTW mod: Pop Culture Barbarorum
>The exact opposite of Europa Barbarorum.
>Adds even more pop culture to the game than just stereotypical Bronze Age Egypt
>No regard for history besides for being roughly "antiquity"
>Takes each faction's most recognizable era of antiquity and slaps that aesthethic into it
>Puts gameplay above history
>Uses movies and TV shows as a source of ideas for units
>>
File: YES.png (530 KB, 1080x1080)
530 KB
530 KB PNG
who cares for merchants? i remember them from med 2 but i never bothered with them. Seems like such a boring agent .
>>
>>584341
>that Latin pronunciation

I suppose it’s to be expected from guys who learned history from video games
>>
>>584417
its a boring agent but its just free money
>>
>>584420
>I suppose it’s to be expected from english speakers
FTFY. Its fucking painful whenever i hear some american or british youtuber try to say something in Latin.
>>
>>584417
Before the remaster came out my only source of information about merchants were also preview videos where people randomly clicked one and saw the merchant generated like 20 denarii per turn, so I dismissed them as completely useless.
However I still wanted to give them a try and they turned out to actually be really good in R:R. They generate money based on *all* of the resources in a region (meaning some regions are much more profitable than others) so you don't have to be situated on top of a resource (which also increases the likelihood or the AI trying to buy out your merchant) but if you want to you can still place a merchant on top of a resource to deny the profit from it for all foreign merchants in the region
Furthermore the merchants are tied to whichever city they were recruited in, so some times when you capture an enemy settlement you will also get a free merchant alongside it.
If you place them in a rich region controlled by you or one of your trading partners you can easily make 2-500 denarii per turn based on the merchant's rank. Most of them also seem to spawn with a trait that modifies their finance stat based on which resources they're trading, so if you get a merchant that gets a bonus for trading something like wine you're encouraged to seek out a region with wine instead of just dumping him in the nearest area. I think the highest amount of gold I saw being generated was 800 per turn by a metallurgy merchant that I had placed on a gold mine

I'm still not exactly sure why they added them though, maybe the R:R engine runs on a modified version of the M2 engine or maybe they were just experimenting with making custom agent types or something. Who knows
>>
>>584430
eh, i guess they do make money, but it feels like "another chore" to take care off, or another very cheesy way to make the game even easier that it already is with the braindead AI and now even wierder diplomacy. I wish it was at least somewhat interesting as a mechanic instead of just clicking in some shitty menu and seeing whatever number is higher for profits.
>>
>>584357

That ain't a bug anon, thats Rome Total War.
>>
>>584475
Yeah same with, people complaining about sieges, They were always kinda buggy in Rome, why didn't they fix it for the remaster?
>>
File: 1572893501725.jpg (24 KB, 229x343)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>584475
in over 2000 hours of original Rome I have never seen the AI do this shit. It literally happens every battle, with ranged units randomly running forwards of backwards several meters, or turning 90 degrees on the spot, completely fucking their formation, and making you have to redraw battle lines. Literally anyone who has played the remaster for more than 20 minutes knows what I am talking about. Has nothing to do with the original game, a completely new bug, guard mode actually used to work.
>>
watching legionaries march in formation through city streets never gets old. especially at night with torches
>>
>>584209
Ive never had that happen, I played one Julii campaign, I think it was because Brutii started fucking with everyone first.
>>
File: Kiyomori Duty.jpg (640 KB, 1920x1080)
640 KB
640 KB JPG

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.