[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 23 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: civ3.jpg (119 KB, 434x600)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
I hear a lot about how CivIV is great but what are the general opinions about III?

Played it a bit as a kid but I was too dumb to really get into it back then like most strategy games.
Got it rotting in my library and I was wondering if it would be worth giving another go.
>>
>>575600
some love it, others hate it. for me it may be ok, it just has this monotonous graphic style
>>
>>575600
I like it but mostly because of nostalgia for being my first civ game.
>>
>>575600
Its the 2nd best behind civ 4 imo. Its main problem is lack of polish, theres some serious bugs like being able to work the same tile with multiple cities if you can scroll between them during the production phase.
>>
Search for Suede CivIII on YouTube, it'll make you want to play.
>>
>>575600
The first civ game I played. I still like it but 4 is better. The problem I mostly have with 3 is that strategic resources can mess with your game. I've you happen to not have one or lose one, you'll likely lose everything. 4 changes this by having plenty of units each age that don't require strategics. The conquest expansion somewhat did this too for 3 but I got into 3 quite late and only bought the base game plus the Play the World expansion. By the time I got conquest I already moved to 4. I think the economic part of 4 is a vast improvement over 3 because it allows for a couple different approaches based on your situation.
>>
>>575770
nice, didn't know there were still people playing civ 3 competitively
>>
>>575611
honestly the graphics are the only thing that I like better about 3 over 4. 4's 3D models have aged like milk and the terrain honestly is never pretty like 3's can be
>>
>>575600
played 2, 3, 4 and 5 and love them all, except 5, but 3 is my favorite
it's in a sweet spot, being more complex than 2, but not bloated with gimmicks like 4
>>
It's fun but I dislike how cities and terrain feel kind of inconsequential. Civ 4 was also kind of similar. At least 5 and 6 make settling and your empire feel like something important, in 3 you really can just spam them.
>>
>>575600
I love 3 for several reasons, but mainly because it introduced me to the series.
The game has several issues like ICS and the corruption system. If I'm being objective about it 4 is a better game in almost every way. I consider 5 and 6 a part of a different series, with the previous formula getting practically perfected with 4, out of these games 5 was a rough start, but 6 is definitly a better game than 3 was.
The reason I still come back to 3 is it's limited, but trivially easy modability. The great issues I mentioned can be mostly remedied through mods, and I probably spend more time in the scenario editor, than actually playing the game.
>>
>>576599
I know next to nothing about civ 3 mods, what are the best ones?
>>
>>575611
Yeah, it uses shades of brown a bit too much.
>>576817
Rise and rule is certainly the most well known one
>>
>>576817
Ka El's Double Your Pleasure
>>
>>577064
>>577078
>Double Your Pleasure
Why that name though
Also on a scale of that civ 4 AI improvement mod to Caveman2Cosmos, how bloated are those mods?
>>
File: civ 3 palace.jpg (32 KB, 443x332)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
SOVL
>>
>>575600
It's a more feature-complete Civ 2, and I grew up almost just playing Civ 2 and a handful of other games, so it's good in my book.
>>
III is great. It would have been the best Civ of them all had it just incorporated the Alpha Centauri trade system. It's the only thing missing from perfection

IV never did it for me. Sure you got polished silver, but you got unpolished gold over here?
>>
>>577100
I always wanted to keep it looking like this.
>>
CIV 3 is by far my most played of the series, I am much better at civ4, but 3 is just so comfy
>>
>>576817
>>577097
For mods that mean to replace the base game Rhye's of Civilization is my personal favourite, it was originally designed as mod to get more realistic playthroughs on an earth map, and it evolved into a mod with many improvements, worth playing on random maps as well. It solves ICS with a smaller map and more expensive settlers – now they cost is actually proportional to their value. I tend to play with my personally modified version of this, by now I reworked most of the modern era and most cultural buildings.
CCM2 is also an excellent mod, overhauling most parts of the game. It solves ICS by making settlers auto-produced, this is an interesting solution as it creates new design space by having wonders produce extra settlers for example. There's also Rise and Rule Revisited, a submod for this revisiting and combining Rise and Rule and Double Your Pleasure.
In terms of bloat, these latter ones definitly are bloated. Mods tend to have a more is better mindset. This is another reason I really like Rhye's of Civilization, it makes a very conscious effort to stay elegant, adding units or techs only when they have a clear purpuse.
1/2
>>
>>576817
>>577839
For scenarios, the palette is much wider, but I can be real picky. Since these set out to tell a specific story, instead of improving the base game, they have a tendency to not adress issues with the base game.
Many otherwise excellent mods like MEM2 (Medieval European Mod) or the Warhammer mod, suffer for example from having similar settlers to the base game (Can you tell I hate ICS? I used to be good at it, but having experienced what it's like when it's fixed, I can't go back now). These can often be remedied though, by editing the settler's cost and the mipe sizes, to be better balanced. Also scenarios with preplaced cities and no settlers don't have this issue.
Now, onto the actual good stuff.
Escape from the Zombie Island 2 is an incredible piece of work, practically creating a new game on civ3's engine. Paradise Island is ravaged by a zombie apocalypse, you can play as the authorities trying to reinstate order, whatever the cost, the doubious company, who may or may not be responsible for what happened, and have other classified pland as well, the survivors a ragtag group of badasses trying get their lives back, the Farmers who just want to farm, or of course as the Zombies. The game has excellent atmosphere and a distinctive gameplay everyone has to experience.
Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire. It's title says it all, this scenario is an all-encompassing journey from the wars with Pyrrhus, through the civil wars, to the invasions of Attila. While quite railroaded, it's a superb experience, and you can develop your empire in a few different ways, without losing the historic feel. Beware, it can be quite hard.
Alexander's Conquests, in a similar vein to Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, let's you recreate the Argead Empire. This one's less polished or epic in scale, but it's still a nice scenario, and covering a different subject, might be more appealing to some people. It's also set on Ptolemy's world map, which is fun.
2/3 (apparently)
>>
>>576817
>>577875
AOI (Age of Imperialism). Starting in just before the turn of the century, and going all the way to the great war, this scenaril offers a both thematically and mechanically rosh experience. You can play as many iconic european nations, experiencing the challenges and fruits of colonialism and nationalism, or maybe as an independent colonial power, for a more difficult run. Had Victoria 2 not existed I'd confidently call this the definitive gaming experience for the era.
Storm Over Europe is the best out of the many WW2 mods out there imo. While only portraying the european theater, it does that with unparalleled ways, creating clever new and fitting mechanincs with techs or on the map itself.
Return of the Shadow: The War of the Ring is a mod I probably only prefer over the warhammer mod, because it operates with preset cities. While I play a heavily edited version of this, I'd still recommend it to people. You get to toss the ring intk Mt. Doom, what else could you ask for?
The Rood and the Dragon. Smaller in scope - not bloated, one could argue - this scenario let's you play in anglo-saxon england, it has a small selection of unique mechanics, like a pagan-christian dichodomy, viking raiders, or the irish culture, that make it interesting.
The Desert and Mountain similarly takes you to different civilizations around the Sahara with unique, novel gameplay for every group. You can set up trading empires as the Mali, conquer as the Kanem-Boru, or join the fray in Ethiopia between the christians, the israelites and the muslims.
Honorable mentions:
The Cold War Deluxe
Hegemon! Of the Classical Greek World!
Star Wars: The Mod Awakens 1
The Rise & Fall of The Mughals
Battle for the Human Body
The Great Armada
Middle-earth: Lord of the Mods
3/3
>>
>>577839
Damn thanks anon, so there aren't any problems with using Rhye's for a random map, right? Do you need to change stuff in the settings? I didn't even know Rhye's had done stuff before civ 4, though I guess I should have figured.
>>577875
>Escape from the Zombie Island 2
This looks so ridiculous, gonna have to try it. I see there's a more recent "Elite" version, but saw someone on steam saying that's basically a challenge mode for veterans of the original mod?
>>577920
>Return of the Shadow: The War of the Ring
>Middle-earth: Lord of the Mods
Is Return of the Shadow better than Lord of the Mods? Return of the Shadow seems a lot newer. I'm a sucker for LOTR mods either way.

Also, are any of the scenarios that shipped with the vanilla base game or expansions worth revisiting? I remember having fun on the age of colonialism one
>>
File: soul.png (711 KB, 1037x498)
711 KB
711 KB PNG
>>577839
ugh... the soul
>>
>>575600
Mechanically I like it less than 2 & 4, but it has the most soulful music and visuals.
>>
I haven't played 3 in a while so I may be wrong but it felt like stacks were such a chore to deal with since there wasn't an effective counter against them like the other titles. 2 had every unit dying if the first unit in a stack was destroyed, 4 had collateral damage, but 3 only had ranged artillery that damaged a single unit per attack which took forever to whittle down a stack.
>>
>>578643
Haven't played it in ages but I recall you can move ALL units from a tile with a short cut. I think it was the "j" button. But yeah it lacks some options civ4 offered to help manage unit movement.
>ranged artillery
Yeah, that and also planes. There's also bribing AI civs into millitary alliances on your side to prevent runaways and generally just to force them to spend their production. That's the main tactic I used to keep up and win in an huge diety pangaea with only one city.
>>
>>575600
Depends entirely which version we are discussing.
This is one of those rare games that got worse and worse with each patch and expansion, dumbing the shit out of the game in the process.
>>
>itt: soulfags convincing me once again they are the new reddit
>>
>>575611
love the graphics of civ 3 guess it's an age difference thing.

>>575600
Something about the play style changed with civ 4 that i could never get into. Civ 3 does have flaws though. The way you cycle through units is dumb.
>>
>>578230
>Do you need to change stuff in the settings?
When you download it you get different .biq files for whether you want to play it on a world map or a random one (so the ingame Conquest menu will have multiple new items in it) Just launch whichever you want. If you go random map the game will ask you for the usual water level, world age etc. settings. Some of these need to be specific values for the mod to work best, so be sure to read the descriprion. If you end up playing it tell me how do you feel about it compared to the base game.
>I see there's a more recent "Elite" version, but saw someone on steam saying that's basically a challenge mode for veterans of the original mod?
While there are a bunch of new things that are cool to have in the Elite, but the "Complete" is just fine as an introduction to the game. (I personally have a soft spot for the 2007 "The Remake" version which had a smaller map.) If you're worried about it being too challenging you can always play on lower difficulties, and avoid the Survivors imo the hardest human faction.
>Is Return of the Shadow better than Lord of the Mods?
Lord of the Mods is a much smaller package. It's a balance is a lot tighter, it feels like a more strategic game. As you said, Return of the Shadow is newer, most noticeably it now has appropiate graphics, for example for the orcs. It's also a richer experience with a bigger map, more units, tech etc. I don't think this makes it bloated, it's still not an oversized mod. I'd play Lord of the Mods, if I wanted a more chess-like experience famed for it's balance. Though, I haven't had much time to play with Return of the Shadow's newest update (which has quite a few nice additions), so it might be similarly balanced now.
Whichever one you play, keep us updated!
>>
>>579440
Oh also, there are handful of minor differences between the world map and the random version of Rhye's mod, most notably, on the world map, most wonders require some resource, ensuring that they can only be built on the appropiate area of the map. Don't underestimate this version either, just because it's a fixed map, it still very much feels similarly free to the base game. It has a bunch of very nice dynamics, like how the more densly populated Eurasia will race ahead in tech, and settle the still empty parts of the Americas in a colonial fashion.
>>
Civ 5 has the best art style, but almost everything else is dog shit
>>
>>579456
>Civ 5
>artstyle
It's literally just 2010s muh realism, but with the artistic tools limiting us. Every second Kickstarter board game has this "artstyle".
>>
>>579440
Thanks for all the info anon. I'll probably do a quick game of vanilla just to remind myself of the mechanics first, it's been a long while since I played civ 3.
>>579455
>It has a bunch of very nice dynamics, like how the more densly populated Eurasia will race ahead in tech, and settle the still empty parts of the Americas in a colonial fashion
If that happens consistently it's very impressive that he managed to achieve that just with civ 3 modding.
>>
>>575600
I played Civ3 as my primary Civ game for a long time because it came out a year after I got my first computer and even when 4 came out, I couldn't run it at the time. I had previously played some Civ2 on Playstation, but PSX Civ was lacking compared to the PC version I felt.

I feel like Civ3 is fine for casual play, but it starts to break down heavily at the higher end of things. Namely, the AI functions fine in the ancient and medieval ages when it only really worries about pushing land troops around on roads, but it starts to break down when the industrial age hits, first with railroads not allowing it to adjust for rapid repositioning and second when planes start to show up. The AI can't deal with an airforce, and bombers can reduce any city to rubble before a cavalryman whose almost an era behind walks in and takes what's left. The AI will also pillage each other into oblivion, destroying improvements across the map and causing industry to crumble, which is another thing it doesn't know how to address. Thus, for Deity and Sid level play, the big strategy becomes holding out long enough to make it to the industrial age and then abusing the quirks of the AI to secure a victory, unless you're one of the few civs that can pull off early rushes despite opponents' bonuses that mostly affect the game during early expansion.

Complaints about the AI aside though, Civ3 does have a lot of nice quality of life changes from Civ2, mainly in the case of the interface and city development. I like the tech tree being more deterministic over random research, being able to see the tree as a whole and make decisions rather than needing to read your physical manual to see it, the addition of a city governor is nice for lower difficulty games or after you've "won," and all that sort of thing. The Conquerers' Scenarios are also pretty great, and the game spawned a lot of scenario based mods to play such as TAM.
>>
File: 1560141142218.jpg (57 KB, 473x587)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyqTPqVRoBk
kino
>>
>>580498
I hate that I hear the modern era tracks so rarely because by the time I get to the modern era the game's winding down and usually already won.

However, in that sort of thinking that the modern era is the twilight of thousands of years of strife, hardship, and uncertainty, giving way for a bright new era of mankind's exploration of the stars, I'd say this is one of the most perfect tracks to represent it. It feels like man is leaving behind the scars of the past and looking towards a new dawn, a mix of bittersweet memories of the past and optimism of the future.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.