[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is it me or does the Rome remastered not feel like the old game? I enjoy it, but it doesn’t have the same feeling.
>>
What was their deal after all?
>>
>>573460
its ugly and the ui is worse
>>573474
they just wanted to be comfy
>>
>>573460
They overdid it with saturation, they should tone it down just a bit
>>
>>573932
Also, the battles don’t feel the same
>>
>>573976
you can alter that with a slider in the settings anon
>>
>>573460
Another soulless remaster cashgrab that makes the game worse, at least people are wising up and giving it negative reviews
>>
>>573460
the worst thing is that you can't even buy the original game anymore and instead you have to buy the remastered one and the original one comes included.
>>
>>574593
>buying digital games
>>
>>574596
i would buy the original phisical copy if only i could find it somewhere aside from Amazon or Ebay.
>>
>>574599
it's been a moot point ever since the original CD version went out of production years ago
>>
>>574592
I know. I wish I didn’t buy it. I honestly might go back to playing the original game. They should’ve keep the clunk to it. Since the clunkiness made it better
>>
>>575351
The original game isn't really worth playing either desu. The same shitty pathfinding issues exist and the campaign AI is actually worse. Not to mention the game runs like shit on modern hardware as it can only run on a single core and doesn't recognise modern GPUs. Just let it exist as it was in your happy nostalgic memories, going back is just bound to tarnish them.
>>
>>575397
I was playing that game a lot for the past while and I’ve found it fun. It runs ok on my pc, so it’s not an issue.
>>
I'll be honest I mixed up rome 1 and rome 2 and thought it was a rome 2 remaster and thats why I got the game and the shitty controls made me not want to play it. I tried doing a flanking charge with my Calvary and for some reason they decided to path across the village to frontal attack the unit I was targeting
>>
>>573460
Ill take nostalgia for 500 anon.
>>
I played it for a while and realized all my good memories with Rome were with mods that made the game slower. The arcadey stuff really isn't for me. Time to wait until some guy ports EB.
>>
>>575496
kys
>>
>switched exe to Alex
>surprise Brutti landing on turn 5
>>
>>575534
>I played it for a while and realized all my good memories with Rome were with mods
There's a lot of that going on right now desu
>>
File: bloody hell.png (2.22 MB, 1920x1080)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB PNG
>>575534
i am playing it right now and i am having a blast
>>
>>576201
>>575534
Yep, Roma Surrectum has a teaser in the workshop, nice to see the old gods coming back
>>
>>575397
The AI in old total war games is so bad that in over thousands of hours of playing the game, and being fan of the series since this shit came out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cax2vIb22nc ; I've only ever had an AI ally help me one time.

England landed some troops in fought some Danes that were going to take a territory while I was doing a world conquest as HRE in Medieval two. I conquered the entire world except for the British Isles, fed them 10000 gold every couple turns, and gave them Ireland as a show of thanks.
>>
File: trve roman.png (173 KB, 997x159)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
I did it!
>>
>>574107
Some things are altered, but it's likely just poor memories. Try turning off the remastered alterations and see if it still feels off.
>>
>>576247
Yeah that's the thing, all of the original balance etc can be toggled back on if you really wanted. People mostly remember heavily-modded versions of RTW1 and forget how broken and arcadey the vanilla game always was. They remember the game playing as Europa Barbarorum and the like played.

If a Med2 remaster comes out people are going to be doing the same thing because what they really remember is the Stainless Steel improvements. They won't remember that Med2 vanilla is even more broken than Rome 1 vanilla.
>>
Whats wrong boomer? Realising that your game wasn't the game you put on the pedestal?
>>
>>576275
I'll take a flawed gem over a polished log any day.
>>
File: file.png (85 KB, 437x161)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>576234
nice
>>
>>576275
Nah, I play Rome for the last year now and enjoyed it almost as much as Medieval II. The remaster doesn’t have the same feeling
>>
>>576339
>feeling
This is the crux of the issue, what you're actually after is the nostalgia. That fuzzy feeling you remember from playing this game when you were 14 playing Rome 1 and didn't have much of a care in the world.
>>
>>576520
I’m not after the nostalgia, I want a game that feels like the original. I first played Rome last year and enjoyed the mechanics of it. Also, when it came out I was still playing teeball
>>
>>576658
Then turn off the remastered settings. If there's something different with the settings off it might be a bug.
>>
I really don't like the new UI for the campaign map
>>
Can someone post something to get this thread nuked. It’s been up for almost two days now
>>
>>573460
You're not 15 anymore
>>
>>576658
then youre retarded because the dogshit AI is the same as the original

if you remember it being better than the remaster youre delusional
>>
The AI is far too cautious in battle now, feels impossible to play defence
>>
>Nostalgia
This word, see it right there? It's become the mantra of the desperate, knowing that 'modern game design' just doesn't measure up and not-caring that we are paying more for worse products. You don't need nostalgia-glasses to compare an older thing with the new, side by side. This is being done right now by those who do give a shit.

The most visceral difference you will find with Rome Remastered to Rome 1 that is not immediately obvious, is the sound design. People really under-estimate how important this is for communicating gameplay information; notice how in so many games that really you got immersed, your first prompt of what's going on are the SFX. Remember how the OST was not remastered? Apparently they talked to Jeff van Dyck but his schedule didn't fit with theirs. That doesn't mean it's unchanged, because just like with many SFX, it does not sound the same. NuCA really don't like percussion and bass sounds, and make them as quiet and flat as possible, as they have done in Rome Remastered. Anything that used to have impact on your ears, now doesn't. Listen to the OST on Youtube and compare to in-game.
>>
>>576810
I know. All I have to do know is sit back with Cretan archers and onagers and pick their army off until I have to send my calvary in to mop them up
>>
>>576805
The dog shit AI doesn’t attack anymore. I know in the original you couldn’t sit back the entire battle and pick them off with archers and onagers.
>>
>>576981
yes you could. even darren, with the biggest chip on his shoulder about CA, admitted that the AI was the same as before. he even played the original rome weeks before the remaster. having personally played the original about a year ago, it is the same. sometimes the AI would let you sit there and take shots at them. you people are either misremembering or are confusing modded rome with vanilla rome. for better or for worse, it is the same game with a questionable UI but better performance.

it was funny, the only guy with a bigger chip on his shoulder about CA was bitching on his stream remaster release and went back to the original rome, and the shit AI was shit there too.

>>576934
this is actually a problem though. a lot of the sounds are for whatever reason, much much quieter in the remaster.
>>
>>576999
>the only guy with a bigger chip on his shoulder about CA
*volund i am talking about volund here
>>
>>576810
>>576981
Yeah, the ai seems to love squatting on hills which is a little annoying and same-y.
>>
>>576999
Who the fuck is Darren
>>
Rome 1 UI was elegant perfection. By the gods, i have no clue why they replaced it with this shit inefficient and ugly interface.
>>
File: wolfhounds.png (897 KB, 811x487)
897 KB
897 KB PNG
>Irish Wolf Hounds still use rotweiler model
was kind of hoping they'd at least change that, might try learning to mod
>>
I am not going to read a single post in this thread other than OP. I just want to let you all know that I hate autists, I hate retards, and I hate faggots that do nothing but complain about getting exactly what they asked for. You are the reason why game developers stop listening and chase new audiences. Kill yourselves.
>>
File: how.png (25 KB, 500x460)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>577310
>>
>>576981
>I know in the original you couldn’t sit back the entire battle and pick them off with archers and onagers.
What are you talking about, you absolutely could and you can see this in every fucking youtube video of the original game.
>>
>>576234
Some of them like the Siege of Sparta was a lot harder than I remembered
>>
>>577470
I found that one to be rather easy if you force the spartans to engage you piece meal at the edge of the city instead of marching into it. Hardest two for me were Teutoburg forest and Carhae Especially Teutoburg. The whole thing would be too easy if it wasn't for those two units of barbarians at the start.

I'm doing the Alexander battles now and they're fucking ridiculous. It took me 10 tries to beat the first one. The fucking sacred band just would not rout.
>>
>>577489
>two units of barbarians
I meant the berserkers. Fuck those guys, they ripped most of cohorts to shreds and the archer and missile nerf in the remaster makes them incredibly difficult to deal with.
>>
>>577310
Oy vey, why won't they just consoom
>>
>>577072

Ex CA community manager turned youtuber who's been blacklisted by three companies, including CA
>>
>>577072
A man who unironically says Rome 2 is a better game than Rome 1 and that the latter has "aged" too poorly to recommend to anyone
>>
>>577743
That guy is full fucking retard. What the fuck
>>
>>577759
He literally just plays contrarian to every single thing CA does out of pure seethe at being shitcanned by them, it's very predictable and the chip on his shoulder is massive. If a Medieval 2 remaster comes out he'll say Medieval 2 is too old and clunky and to avoid it. If Medieval 3 comes out instead he'll say avoid it and play Medieval 2.
>>
>>573460
i agree, i like the remaster better than the original and its leagues above rome 2, but something just feels... off
>>
>>577777
Checked
It's probably because of the few ways that the remaster differs from the main game that it feels awkward
>>
>>577777
It's the UI desu, you spend a lot of time interfacing with it and it's quite different. Stuff like the balance changes etc can be toggled back to the original but we don't have a choice for the UI at least at the moment.
>>
>>577784
>>577786
unit balance isnt that bad for me, calvalry charges still feel REALLY good. i do hope for a UI toggle though for nostalgia reasons
>>
>>576981
i swear the ai did get better cause i cant do this kinda shit as well i as i used to be able to.
in my most recent campaign i sent some mercenary peltast out to skirmish, and the ai charged it with some triarii.
when i try and flank the ai they send some units to face me.
when i did a quick battle that had a bridge they would pick the units i placed at the entrance off with their range units and when i retreated those far enough it quickly charged melee units across. in all cases i played on very hard.
>>
>>577805
They did make AI improvements, and I've definitely noticed them more often positioning their units to try and prevent flanking as well.
>>
It's the UI I think, it feels a lot different. The trays make it feel a little more micromanage-y
>>
>>577763
I honestly think Med 2 is the best out of the series. And with the Rome remastered they should’ve keep the UI and soundtrack with quality of life changes, that’s it.
>>
File: roll_76207.jpg (10 KB, 256x256)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>573460
>Image
oh hey, I made that. Although for added jocularity the filename is supposed to be "Eastern Infrentry"

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2308015696
>>
>>577889
>I honestly think Med 2
vanilla?
definitely not
with all the expansions?
still not
with mods?
its high in the ranking but still not the best although it comes to personal preferences
>>
>>577821
ui is really bad
what they were thinking?
>>
>>573460
how did the race of pajama men come to be?
>>
>>577743
>>577759
>>577763
While I don't know if this is the same reasoning as him I have seen A LOT of people on the Steam forums who argue that Rome 2 is better solely because "it's newer"
It's astonishing how many threads there have been where people ask if there's any reason to buy the Rome 1 remaster solely because Rome 2 exists.
>>
>>577918
>Rome 2 is better solely because "it's newer"
Now the Rome 1 Remaster is newer, so tell them that much. It controls better than Rome 2, that's for sure.
>>
>>577918
Honestly, Rome 2 isn’t bad, but it gets boring after a while
>>
>>577306
Imagine fighting a fucking wolfhound. I've seen a guy ride one
>>
>>577763
>>577759
>>577743
>>577918
>rome 1 has worse AI than vanilla rome 2
>HE JUST MAD AT CA
cope and seethe boomers.
>>
>>578788
Hey nigger, fuck you. I hope your parents get cancer, beat it, and then die in a horrible car wreck with you driving and you are the only one to live. So you have to live with the guilt that you killed your parents.
>>
What is better about the Rome 2 AI, I played Rome 2 only like a month or two ago and it felt like I was playing against a braindead toddler.
>>
>>575496
>I'll be honest I mixed up rome 1 and rome 2 and thought it was a rome 2 remaster and thats why I got the game and the shitty controls made me not want to play it.

You and every other retard who left a negative review on Steam seemingly
>>
>>579591
How did you find the mechanics? I haven't played in a while but they all felt very boring.
>>
>>573460
Is it just me or is the unit AI off? Its been a long time since I played the original but I seem to remember that hastati would be able to throw their pilum and then charge, but now it seems like they walk too close, take too long to throw the pilum, then don't even charge. Against other infantry they always get their charge off before my guys even throw their pilum.
>>
>>576234
for some reason the war dog achievement, or any unit specific achievements, aren't firing for me. Did you have to use a specific campaign to get it?
>>
>>580620
They only worked in custom battles for me
The night battle ones also only worked when it was an enemy attacking me
>>
>>580476
Boring is a good way to put it. I was struggling to keep playing, every turn was a bit of a slog. Mechanics were either unbaked lesser versions of previous games, general level ups, or just something I never interacted with, your factions government / internal factions. Armys levelling up is definitely still a cool idea but the way it works in Rome 2 is awkward cause the army isn't becoming more elite their name is, which is wack as fuck.
>>
>>580552
>take too long to throw the pilum
that's rome alright
Make sure to get them to run so when they're done throwing they actually charge rather than walking in.
But to get use out of your pilum you're better off leaving your guys on fire at will and letting enemies charge into your line. I like to have two rows as well for extra pilum devastation.
Other than that the only times where its worth using them is usually if you're doing a flanking charge it might be worth a volley while the enemy is stuck in combat.
>>
>>580984
broooo dont you get it? broken ai is sovl!!!
>>
>>577889
>Med 2
jesus no, you guys are only remembering it with mods, the base game was just as broken and shitty as base rome 1
honestly, the strategic map portion of total war worked far better with the risk style map of S1 and M1
>>
>>581206
I'm talking about Rome 2.
>>
>>581280
>the base game was just as broken and shitty as base rome 1
worse and also gray
>>
>>581323
yea and im talking about rome 1
>>
>>574599
>he can't torrent a 20 year old game
ngmi senpai
>>
>>575397
werks on my machine
>>
>>573460
I don't like the building and unit descriptions being a little square in the corner. Mods did all of their exposition in those descriptions. For all the effort they put into making the game more mod friendly, you'd think they would have noticed that flaw.

I like how I can tell the game I want to play it on my second monitor and it actually does it. In most games that function doesn't work consistently, but in rome remaster it just works.
>>
>>582166
yea the UI is so bad, i honestly do not know why they bothered changing it up, especially since the biggest excuse of not adding anything substantial was that it was a remaster and not a remake.

so why remake the UI? its not such a big deal that it makes the remaster shit, but its so baffling that they thought hiding all the descriptions in tiny boxes and hiding every option behind 2-3 clicks was a good idea.
>>
Can you rename specific unit in remaster?
>>
>>582166
Maybe the in game wiki can be modded to handle walls of text.
>>
>>582174
Because the original Med2 and Rome 1 UI is hard to use.
It's useable but it's not good. There's clear reason to try to redo it. Some things are hard to read, it takes up a lot of space, and it's annoying to do or check things quickly.

If I want to check all my settlements? I gotta go to the faction scroll first then open the lists scroll.
>3 clicks
That's 1 click in the remaster.
I will give the remaster one problem here, when I change to creating armies in the settlements in moves me to the army list rather than the settlement list so it's harder to mass build troops. I hope they change that, but it's quicker and easier to get to my settlement summary.

That's the thing I do most in this game, what are you people doing with such regularity that's hidden away? Are you trying to look at the family tree every turn or something? I seriously don't get it.
>>
>>582596
>Some things are hard to read
Maybe if you are retarded
>it takes up a lot of space
Only thing that takes up a lot of unnecessary space is the default battle UI and that had 2 or 3 different layouts if you wanted to change that. Almost everything else related to campaign map is much more condensed whereas in the remaster it's spread out over 5 different windows and tabs that you need to open separately.
>If I want to check all my settlements? I gotta go to the faction scroll first then open the lists scroll.
>3 clicks
Incorrect; it's 1 right-click on the city list.

Don't try to pretend the original UI is shit when you evidently haven't even played the old games.
>>
>>582729
Unit counts on units is small black text with no outline, it can be hard to read at a glance to get an idea of what state a unit is in.
Campaign UI elements all take up about half the screen when they don't need to.

>Don't try to pretend the original UI is shit when you evidently haven't even played the old games.
Criticizing the new UI does not require pretending there isn't room for improvement.

>Incorrect; it's 1 right-click on the city list.
What? I was talking about the number of clicks to get to the city list not to access cities on the list, which is I assume what you're talking about.
But you can also left click on the city list to access cities, so maybe you're not?
>>
>>583002
Addendum, this is ultimately besides the point. What do you need to access regularly that takes many more clicks than the old UI? I keep hearing this but haven't run into this problem and am just confused.
>>
>>583002
>I was talking about the number of clicks to get to the city list
So was I
>>
>>576228
in my short brutii campaign the scipii helped me protect patavium thrice, i rly liked them after that and i was glad it was just a short campaign so i didnt have to eliminate them

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.