[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: starcraft.jpg (209 KB, 1280x720)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
I never played an RTS before and I really want to get into StarCraft... But which one?
>>
>>554492
Sc2 is way more beginner friendly.
>>
>>554492
I would personally have recommended AoE2 or maybe WC3 if Blizzard hadn't fucked it with reforged (consider it if you aren't opposed to pirating the old version) over SC, but if it's down to SC then 2 is way more beginner-friendly and uses more modern conventions of the genre. Campaign is a bit naff but that's only with perspective of the first game.
>>
>>554492
SC1 is free and still has a fairly active online scene
>>
>>554510
remastered (ranked) isn't free and sc2 online is free
>>
AoM is the answer. It is way more fun and saves you from flushing hours into the game, as it is way more brief.
>>
>>554492
SC1 is considerably better, but I would personally advise being a patrician and getting TA or CnC instead
>>
>>554510
Disregard every word this guy wrote.
>>
I mean if you've never played an RTS before then SC2 eases you into the genre a lot better.
>>
>>554492
It really depends on what you are willing to do. Both are time sinks but with BW it is a higher skill floor for you to learn. The trade off is that you will never have to worry about a balance patch for the game and the community has proven to be extremely die hard even going as far as staying alive while blizzard was actively trying to kill it off.

Not saying that SC2 doesn't also have a die hard scene, but the game requires patches to keep it going while BW does not.
>>
>>554618
>while blizzard was actively trying to kill it off.
How were they trying to kill it off?
>>
Should I play brood war on battlenet or are there better servers somewhere? The pings are in yellow in my area(Europe), I remember this had way better connections when I played 12-15 years ago. Also not many people, about 500. I can't play on Korean servers(>20k), I have red pings there.
>>
>>554492
The first one, and play the campaign.
>>
>>554492
First game if you want to go singleplayer, 2 if you're a compfag, brood war for both.
>>
>>555118
WoL campaign is at least as fun as sc1 campaigns
>>
>>554798
Forbiding tournament organising companies the rights to organise tournaments for one. Many times through the BW history the entire esport scene almost died because Blizz refused to just take the gook money. Since inception of SC2 they had rage boner on killing BW as fast as possible to maximalize SC2 revenue.
>>
>telling a person to jump into multiplayer infested by Chinese and Korean tryhards while he has never played a RTS before
>>
File: supply depot.jpg (71 KB, 1200x729)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>554492
probably SC2 since it has the based supply depot
>>
Brood war if you are 30+
>>
>>554492
what gamemode do you want to play?
>>
>>555253
It was assumed he would be learning against easy computers
>>
>>555732
online multiplayer
>>
File: 1616644121075.jpg (21 KB, 480x360)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>554492
SC2 is quite noob friendly really, BW is quite hard to get into along with the fact that if you do not live near Korea you'll have a couple of Arty's screaming about how shit the ping is. SC2 is also heading into BW's patch treatment since ActiBlizz is not bothering to patch it anymore and the latest patch was arguably the most balanced it has ever been 45% of the high masters/A rank to GM/S rank players in II and BW are Protoss so it seems like that race is forever going to be the anti-scrub race forever, Toss is near fucking impossible to balance for lower mmr players sadly so you'll enjoy the fact that for the next half-decade or so you now have two great as fuck games that are not plagued constantly by meta shifts from balance patches. Community wise, both games are growing steadily with BW being popular as fuck in Korea and SC2 experiencing some weird Renaissance in their own community growth.

just b urself and pick what u like rly
>>
>>557997
>not plagued constantly by meta shifts from balance patches

I came back from short break from bw and find myself in retarded 2h and gateway all in retard protoss meta
fuck this
>>
>>558036
get out of C bro, it gets better
>>
>>558042
its all 2hatch and gatewayman every rank
>>
>>558046
Ah, you're a t*rran player. I'm sorry, post your name here and I will forward it to the terran bullying discord so you can get some regular games
>>
>>558049
is it JYcord
>>
>>558046
2 hatch is the current meta. Getting early muta to harass so that you get a third gas for hive is needed. As a zerg player I hope that the meta will switch back to 3 hatch soon.
>>
>>554492
Starcraft/Brood War campaign is great. It has a darker atmosphere that modern Blizzard just dosent have anymore.

Try it out. I still go back and play it now and then. Music is kino as fuck too.
>>
>>554492
It's much easier to go from playing SC1 to SC2 than the other way around so start with 1.
>>
>>554618
>The trade off is that you will never have to worry about a balance patch for the game
but that is also true of SC2
>>
>>559288
Is that a good thing? I have heard a bunch of content creators saying they will leave if patches coming out.
>>
>>554492
I would honestly suggest you start with something like C&C, Empire Earth or Age of Empires, but if you're set on it, I'd say original, since >>559151 has it right. Haven't touched Multiplayer in years so can't speak to that, but if you just want to learn the basics of how to play an RTS, SC 1 will do just fine.
>>
>>559335
I'll tell you what, I'm not going back to regularly playing SC2 until the next patch. There won't be a next patch btw.
>>
>>570689
>Protoss is regularly at 45-ish% for months on end
>silence
>Protoss hits 51%, perfectly within balance margin of error
>BLIZZARD NERF THEM SAVE US SAVE US
Only, this time, they won't save you. The game is dead and Blizzard jannies were fired, courtesy of redditniggers such as yourself killing the game via 'community balancing'.

You get what you FUCKING deserve.
>>
>>554492
Brood War is quite literally the best game ever created. Trying to pretend or dissemble otherwise is basically a hard litmus test for being nigger cattle.
>>
>>554509
Is it fair to say it uses modern conventions if it wrote the damn book on them?
Naysayers will say the game is too microable, but the reality is the rest of it is so slick and intuitive that you can actually afford to micro
>>
>>555253
In my experience low tier players regardless of skill forfeit while they're ahead if you're persistent enough
>>
File: 1601430731918.jpg (242 KB, 900x900)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>554492
>RTS
>StarCraft
>>
>>554492
none
>>
File: bee_eye_2.jpg (301 KB, 1000x790)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
>>554492
>starcraft
>the swarm
>>
>>572551
wew now thats blast from the past, make sure to take your meds next time buddy ;)
>>
>>554492
Brood War by far. The game is still evolving despite no new patches for over a decade. People just discovered a new carrier micro technique that makes them way better in certain situations.
https://tl.net/forum/brood-war/572188-new-carrier-micro-sh-micro

It still has a fun casual UMS scene and a highly competitive ladder scene.
>>
>>559151
probably this
all the unit movement in bw is too jarring once you get used to everything being smooth in sc2
>>
>>572600
>It still has a fun casual UMS scene
Honestly this is actually a really important selling point. You can have hours of fun just playing regular melee free for alls and compstomps before getting into UMS, and hours of UMS fun before ever hitting up the actual ladder. Or just, you know, never leave if it turns out you don't like 1v1. Lots of people play UMS only, or team games only, or FFA only.

Meanwhile, SC2 UMS scene is pretty dead courtesy of Blizzard's god awful handling of it. Likewise, SC2 can't do team games or FFAs well at all, since the way its coded means anything but a beastly CPU will choke to death under the strain of 5-6 maxed armies fighting.
>>
>>554614
Yeah i started playing SC2 and then tried out the original. Holy shit is doing anything in that game super obtuse. Just making units makes me want to blow my brains out. And only 12 units a control group?? Fuck off. Broodwar is a game that should stay in the past.
>>
>>572864
the cpu stuff doesnt matter in practice i was such a pussy back in 2010 i mustve played over a thousand 4v4s with a i7 920
>>
i understand why broodwar babbs are so mentally ill but fuck. no one who was introduced to starcraft with sc2 wanted your scene and game to die and anyone who is still interested in 2021 also likes broodwar
>>
>>554492
Starcraft II is better. Most Brood War shills don't even play the fucking game
>>
>>554492
>gookclick
>good
>>
>>576669
[s]test[/s]
>>
>>576669
test
>>
>>554492
SC2 was really good at helping me master a lot of general RTS concepts so i'd recommend it to anyone wanting to get into the genre, blizzard has great mission design that makes it easy for even complete brainlets to get into. The stories in both games are total ass though.
>>
>>577714
I've been playing rts for over a decade and I still suck
>>
>>558931
Best post in this thread
>>
SC1 has better story, ambience, and music.
SC2 has better campaigns, gameplay, and QoL.
>>
>>577697
>[s]test[/s]
>>
>>554492
Bw is far superior but might be overwhelming. Maybe get to the point where you can macro on three bases in sc2. Then start learning bw.
>>
>>554898
Play on west. East is dead. Game is peer 2 peer anyway.
>>
>>554898
Battlenet is where to play for ladder, there is also shieldbattery but it is still in alpha testing. It is ladder is global so you will get Koreans to play against. The biggest thing is finding non ladder games which you will have to look through the gateways.
>>
SC 2 Co-op is very fun (but discontinued development).
>>
File: 1593009795538.jpg (66 KB, 483x701)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>578800

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.