[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 68 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20210412004246_1.jpg (1.54 MB, 3440x1440)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
Who else is playing this absolute gem?
W-what am I doing wrong with this petroleum output?
>>
I liked the demo, but it's like $50 where i live. That's way too much.
>>
>>523220
$37 here, I bought it the once it went on sale back when it came out of early access. You could always torrent it I suppose, there's a GOG version.
>>
>>523222
True, but then i wouldn't be able to download mods.
>>
>>523220
VPN yourself to be in Argentina and thank mommy Peron for sacrificing her people's economy so we can enjoy cheap games.
>>
>>523215
Check which outputs actually give you petroleum gas and which imputs accepts it. You are piping in nothing to three out of four chem plants. Same thing goes for the inputs for your refineries, only one of them accepts crude oil. The input is for water, and the other outputs are for light and heavy oil.
>>
>>523245
*They are for wated, light/heavy oil WHEN you unlock and select efficient refining or whatever it's called
>>
>>523215
How can I get into this?
I feel autistically frustrated knowing that my current setup is garbage and could be optimized way more when I unlock more tech, so i'd have to tear down the shitty existing version.
I just can't overcome that OCD to play
>>
>>523280
Honestly that's my biggest issue with the game, the only way I ever managed to get around it was by completely moving my base after I tech up far enough so I can just start fresh.
>>
>>523237
Anon, i'm a huezillian. My economy is shit. And yet it's still $50
>>
>>523228
Oh boy, don't get me started. I own a legit copy, key bought on Humble. Want to download mods? Create an account. Alright, fuck you, but alright. Now link your Steam account. WTF??? That's none of your fucking business, give me the mods you assholes. Even when accessing the mod repository from *inside* my legit Steam copy it still asks me to link my account first. Some modders thankfully linked their Githubs where I could get what I wanted but I still ended up writing a small mod myself because it was all gated. Only later did I stumble on the discussion on the official forum where they were pushing for banning Github links, but thankfully modders resisted. What kind of fascist bullshit is this? Again - I have *payed* you, and I'm connecting from *inside* the game, why are you making me jump through 3 different hoops to access content? My data, my mail address, my Steam account are none of your fucking business.

And the game isn't even all that great to boot. Fun and worth the money, but way too repetitive for any kind of replayability. Once you have a good blueprint for a job it's just stamping down pre-made stuff. But the mod gating thing really drove me up the wall. Shows what absolute tools the devs are to their own paying customers.
>>
I unironically work at factories for a living and I think I'd absolutely love or hate this game. Can you sell me on the game? I guess the "rush" of the game comes from optimizing things?
>>
>>523324
There's a demo on steam if you want to try it out. If you like logistical problem solving you'll enjoy it.
>>
>>523215
Make sure all refinery products are being utilized, if one of the output pipes is full and not being used, the refinery will cease operation
>>
>>523292
>but way too repetitive for any kind of replayability
The game seems fairly repayable with all of the options it has for map generation. You can make it so that you're constantly overwhelmed with enemies, only certain resources spawn or that your map is a finite island. Not to mention playing with a friend or two (it's got LAN so go for it you piratefags) forces you all to mix up your playstyles and adapt your plans to theirs. Depending on your playstyle, you can easily play for 60 hours on your first map before thinking about rerolling or even haven beat the game. Sucks about the mods though, that does sound like a pain.
>>
>>523215
Click the ALT button.
>>
>>523292
>fascist
Stop being a poorfag
>>
>>523280
Drag a big red box around it and watch 1000 robots tear down and rebuild the base. Ez
>>
>>523280
You shouldn't need to upgrade anything. Make ten machines making red science, they'll need another machine attached to them that makes gears, and when you unlock better construction machines then just upgrade all 11 machines.
>>
Why do Factorio threads always devolve into poorfags whining about a game that doesn't go on sale? The game isn't expensive (no, $50 isn't unreasonable for a video game), and nobody, but nobody owes you anything. If you don't want to buy it, fine, don't fucking post about it. You have literally nothing to say about the game, you're shitposting because you're just telling us about your paycheck in a Factorio thread.
>>
>>525710
I feel like it's a meme at this point, ie for the (You)s
>>
>>525584
Anyone who uses robots in any way are just misguided fools. My grandfather used belts in his factorio machines, my father used belts, I use belts, and my children will use belts. If you want to remove something just nuke it.
>>
>>525728
>he doesn't enjoy coming home after a long hard day of slaughtering lmaos and getting greeted by a swarm of bots filling up his inventory
>>
>>523324
>>524208
There's also a demo on their website
>>
>>525274
>you can easily play for 60 hours on your first map
Sounds about right, I think I have ~72h on record which is essentially my first game learning from scratch until I launched the rocket. Hence why I wrote "fun and worth the money". There is a bit more content (I don't think I ever touched trains or logistics robots outside the personal roboport), but I still don't see much replayability. If you have a perfectly balanced refinery or motor blueprint - why re-invent the wheel? I think the logic stuff was most interesting, but there was barely any need beyond balancing tanks and backup steam power.

>You can make it so that you're constantly overwhelmed with enemies
Yeah, about that. If I ever get back to the game I think I would disable biters. They were a complete joke and just felt like artificial busywork completely separate from the core gameplay loop. I held them off with ~20 manually stocked turrets until I had a tank and then I took 4h to clear out every nest within my pollution plume. The biters never bothered me for the rest of the game. Pretty sure I launched the rocket without ever seeing goliath bugs. But those hours spent driving and shooting felt very boring and pointless. Combat is not why I picked up that game, the constant attacks are just annoying when I'm trying to route belts and juggle ratios. And it doesn't feel all that well-integrated. I thought I could maybe "go green" and coexist instead, spending hours plopping down giant solar and capatictor blueprints until they were several times my production footprint but energy generation was still pathetic and there was still enough pollution that biters would have bothered me if my perimeter wasn't already so large. The whole biter/combat/pollution mechanic honestly feels pretty half-baked and doesn't really fit the spirit of the game. And that's coming from someone who generally enjoys tower defense / base defense. I think I actually prefer Mindustry over Factorio for that aspect.
>>
>>528838
I think it depends on the map. I get deserts often so there's nothing to absorb the pollution and tons of biters spawn.
>>
>>528838
Who the FUCK spends four hours doing anything in Factorio? Holy shit, you missed the whole point of the game, which is just automating things until everything runs itself.
>>
>>523215
I finished it back when you still had only 3 science packs. I'm genuinely afraid of going back, this game isn't called cracktorio for nothing.
>>
What do you guys think about Space Exploration and Krastorio 2? And both?
I've played both, though not until the end
Launched both of them together to see how they mesh.
While there was effort towards compatibility, a lot seems superfulous.
>>
File: factorio.jpg (557 KB, 1666x1204)
557 KB
557 KB JPG
Just finished my first playthrough.
Managing the trains was fun.
I've seen some bases with incredible rail systems, maybe I'll try something like that in the next one.
>>
>1000 hours played
AMA niggers
The mods are the best part
>>
>>532826
Which mod did you play the most?
Do you do main bus?
>>
>>533380
I've really got into Pyanodon's mods. Just getting my shit together for a full beans play through with Alien Life. It'll take hundreds of hours though, so I'm a little scared. The base Pyanodon's without High Tech or Alien life is really good I much prefer it to Bob&Angel and it's about the same complexity. I can't really get on with Angel's ore refining/smelting because you're constantly ripping up the refining setups and it becomes a chore.

Krastorio is great for a vanilla+ experience, I made a megabase that only ran on wood then converting it to matter, that was fun.

Think everyone main buses at some point during their factory. My last vanilla playthrough for version 1.1; I spaghetti janked a bus and mall until I launched a rocket, converted everything to a giant robot mall then made 10 tiled, independent and self contained 45spm blocks fed by trains. A giant smelting setup and refinery that was built in another location fed the 10 blocks.
>>
>>535108
>The base Pyanodon's without High Tech or Alien life is really good I much prefer it to Bob&Angel and it's about the same complexity.
That's cool. I'm going to try it out I didn't really like Bob's when I played it.
>>
>>523215
The game stresses me out too much. Everytime I make a mistake I want to autistically redo everything. It feels like coding and then I am reminded it's just a game and if I feel like I'm being productive I might as well will do that.
>>
>>532826
>>523292
So moral of the story is buy the steam version? I want to play this game but I don't feel like jumping through hoops to mod at some point.
>>
How do I get around to finish this game? I get sucked in and autistically shape my spaghetti factory up until I get to blue science and lose all motivation. It's happened a couple times now and it's annoying
>>
>>537684
git gud
>>
>>537684
When you get to blue, you can plop new areas down for everything instead of reorganizing. Then do whatever with the old areas, rip them up I guess. It can save your sanity
>>
>>537684
So sort of the line you can take for this game is making your initial factory just good enough to "get you there" which means getting your logistics network set up for robotics, then making an overhaul and optimizing everything. The blueprints and construction drones make this trivially quick, but it can feel demoralizing to undo what you've done. Something you might consider is leaving your original setup to mine out its resources in peace and setting up your new, optimized system adjacent to it.
>>
>>523237
... or, you know, just get the game for free
>reee thief
>reee indie dev support
>reee something something
Couldn't care less. That's a 20 bucks game, which I wouldn't buy for 5 and I'm making enought to easily afford it for 50.
Short for games with extensive multiplayer that are dependant on official servers, there is no reason to buy just about any game, unless you REALLY want to support the dev. And in past decade I did it exactly twice - and neither of those games were strategies.
>>
>>537626
Humble gives you a code that you activate on Steam. That's the joke. They have me locked in on a DRM version and still claim to not be sure whether I'm a legit player unless I link my Steam account to their bullshit.
I think if you buy from their homepage you get a DRM-free version and your account with them automatically knows you have a paid version, giving you access to mods. That's how it was when I looked it up 2 years ago and factorio.com/buy still says:
>A website key is used to upgrade an account on our website, and allow you to download the game directly from us.
>You can also redeem a free Steam key once your account is upgraded.
So it seems if you buy from them directly they upgrade your account immediately to allow access to mods.That's how I understand it at least.

>>529139
You're not really making the case for the game having diverse and replayable gameplay. My main criticism was that you figure stuff out and then just put down blueprints forever. And why even have biters turned on if you're just going to ignore them? I think you're making the case for my position actually.
And I do still think I saved time by pushing the biters back to small choke points and having them basically never attack, compared to building and maintaining huge wall/turret structures against hordes nearby. Without a full logistics network I'm not sure you can even fully automate walls (since you don't have repair/replacement) and I skipped setting that up as well.
>>
File: factorio map generation.jpg (2.24 MB, 2560x1440)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
>>
>>537626
Yea if you got no objection to Steam buy it on Steam. The mod organisation is great because on each save game you can have different mod lists and flick between them easily.
It's £15 in the UK, the Devs are good and respond to community really well.
Dunno what happened to this guy >>538385
>>
I feel like it's missing something. I miss having units you don't directly control but having to optimize their paths like in Stronghold/DF
>>
>>540238
AAI Industries mod add all sorts of robotic friends.
>>
File: 1618075958416.jpg (35 KB, 477x539)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>538831
Absolutely diabolical RNG.
>>
>>538831
Robinson Crusoe mode
>>
>>532826
Is going full train factory autism the final redpill?
>>
File: 1455859746704.jpg (52 KB, 640x458)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>Starting to need resources from other locations
>Have to manage multiple bases and setup trains between them
>Eventually am going to have to cart in basic ore too
This game just keeps getting more autistic
>>
>>542381
>>542381
I only cart basic ore and ammo around. Keeps the outposts small and simple. 4 cars of ore, 1 car of ammo. Trains pick up ore at the mines, drop the ore off at the smelters, pick up ammo at the smelters to feed the guns guarding the mines.
>>
>>542400
Right now I just have a chemical base and my main base. I ship metal and coal to the chemical base and it ships back sulfar and plastic. I defend it with flamethrowers using all the oil that's there already. It's relatively clean but I can see shit getting out of control when my main base runs out of metal.
>>
Whats that mod called that starts you off with robotics but you can't do anything yourself, and have to automate everything? And is it any good?
>>542400
>gun turrets
Is laser a meme? I always assumed it was a direct upgrade
>>
>>542461
I don't think it's exactly a direct upgrade. I think the damage can be the same since both can upgrade infinitely. But lasers have simpler logistics, as long as they have power they will shoot. But this can be tricky too, because lasers use a metric shitload of power, and if you brown out your base while you're on steam power, either because your solar is inadequate or it's night-time and your batteries run out, the inserters filling your boilers will stop and need to be manually refilled. Bad news.
>>
I replaced my with solar panels and the bugs seem way less uppity.
>>
>>542461
I don't know about fully upgraded lasers, but right now my gun turrets (with armor penetrating bullets) stop the aliens dead in their tracks. Meanwhile my laser base has 2 rows of lasers that are also way denser and they still take damage.
>>
>>541794
Probably. LTN mod is amazing when it works because you can create a true many-to-many network. However I stopped using it because it can be a pain in the ass.
>>
>>539103
Not that anon but I bought it from Steam and linked my accounts and can now download the non-Steam version from their site whenever I want
>>
>>542461
Guns with red bullets do about 2.5 times as much damage as lasers with full upgrades, not accounting for alien armor. iirc guns do 1.5 times as much damage vs the most armored aliens. This is largely due to the fact that upgrades benefit guns more.

In all other respects lasers are better. They're tougher, have better range, require only electricity, and look cooler. They will not kill things as quickly overall, however.
>>
File: 1591193565690.gif (222 KB, 250x250)
222 KB
222 KB GIF
After multiple attempts I'm finally hooked to this game. Holy shit where did the last 5 hours go? I wish my friends didn't become /sig/ memers so I could play it with them like we did with other shit back in the day.
>>
>>523222
Factorio has never gone on sale.
>>
>>544116
He's being stupid and he's forgetting that Factorio originally cost $20 at the beginning of early access.
>>
>>542488
>the inserters filling your boilers will stop and need to be manually refilled
>he doesnt use the basic coal fuelers
>>
File: factoriomap.jpg (262 KB, 1141x1083)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
just walled in a sizable area and going to attempt a train based base.
>>
>>523215
This game filters me as soon as I need to start making those green flasks. I think I may be retarded.
>>
>>546215
After green there's blue, then the game changes considerably when you get to bots
>>
>>538306
I don't care about the opinions of thieves.
>>
>>546184
This is a non-issue and I have no idea why anyone ever brings this up. You shouldn't be using coal burner inserters for anything unless you're doing some no-electricity run with mods where you use steam powered everything.
>>
>>546215
Thats where I got filtered initially when I first tried it a few years back. That plus the fact I saw my resources were drying up and I would have to figure out how to get more (which actually turned out to be a fun part of the game). I just picked it up again a few days ago and now I'm hooked. They really don't stress the fact that a lot of shit you're manufacturing might need to be used later down the line for necessary shit like science packs.

On my fist try I setup my base for science packs, then when I realized I would need to reuse some of that shit for more science packs I looked at my base and saw I would have to either totally start over or setup some serious spaghetti jank.

>>546227
I still don't have bots yet, but the game changed a ton once I needed chemical plants, because oil was not on base and I had to setup a secondary base for it. Then I had to get autistic with trains and making everything solar powered.
>>
>>546599
My advice on trains at the early game is that you don't need to do them immediatly. What might seem like a long distance to belt might not be that far at all
You can carry through fairly long distances using yellow belts. Two of them can merge into a red belt once you get to your factory.
Doubly so for oil, pipes and underground pipes are cheap. Throw in some pumps, and you can build a pipeline for much cheaper than a train shuttle.
>>
>>546668
I think when I did the trains I already had 3 of the science packs (red, green, military) so it was mid-ish game. A big reason I did the train is because I thought the AI would be more aggressive than it actually was, and was afraid if I didn't have absolutely everything behind walls minus train tracks the AI would attack it. Also partly because I wanted to silo away the chemical processing from my main plant. It paid off, although I still truck lubricant and sulfuric acid to my main plant.

I kinda like the idea of sectioning off my base into specialized areas like this. Might do it for my next factory too.
>>
>>546599
Start making a ton of batteries now. It doesn't matter if you don't use them immediately, the fact that you committed all that sulfuric acid to batteries over the course of hours while you did other shit will pay off. Just having one machine just making batteries for later for hours is a great idea.

Don't spend any solid fuel into your power production. Solid fuel is for trains/vehicles, you'll instantly drain your oil sources by putting them into boilers. The only use for coal is plastics after you get nuclear/solar power going, so just consume coal as you see it because it is barely used later.
>>
>>546905
Yeah I had a battery setup already for laser turrets and actuators. It paid off because my entire factory was solar powered. I actually almost have the rocket silo up (just waiting on the research, already have the mats) and I beat the game. Never needed bots really.

Browsing mods atm to make the combat more intense. The biters were really a non-factor.
>>
>>546905
>>547008
Probably the hardest thing through my first playthrough was managing the chemical plant. Light oil kept bottlenecking my petroleum and lubricant production. Even after I dumped it all into solid fuel.
>>
>>547015
Convert light oil to petroleum gas, use the circuit network to manage conversion.
>>
>>547032
Alright, I'll keep that in mind for my next factory. Going to do deathworld.
>>
just bought it. what the hell am i in for? a friend got me to play satisfactory with him and his brother, but it just seemed okay. i dont really think buying that game was worth it. thought this might be better so im trying it
what do i need to know? about to start my first factory
>>
>>547316
It is significantly better than satisfactory
Use a main bus to avoid spaghetti, there's a steam guide for it if you want. Otherwise just work out optimal layouts yourself, looking it up will just ruin the fun.
>>
>>547316
Biter nests inside your pollution cloud trigger attacks. Clear up their nests, then set up defences to prevent new nests at your polluted area.
Biters become more powerful according to your total pollution emitted, and nests destroyed. Using green modules will cut back on your pollution, and the area you need to keep clear of biters
>>
>>523286

Have you had COVID yet?
>>
>>532826
Did you ever manage to get Space Exploration working with BobAngels? The space dev decided to cut off support, but his mod only changes the endgame. I don't wanna automate blue packs for the twentieth time.
>>
>>546212
This is basically cheating lol. If you put your walls farther away than your pollution reaches then you only get attacked once every 20 minutes or so, when they try to make a new base.
>>
>>542461
>>542488
AP bullets are necessary against larger biters due to armor, and if you rely on them too much they become a serious resource drain. Especially after a few fire rate upgrades.
>>
>>547787
I've not tried it because my laptop couldn't handle AlienBiome mod. Ddn't realise it may have issues, that was my next playthrough.
>>
File: rail factorio.jpg (322 KB, 1215x1073)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
>>547795
I guess, but right now I'm just trying to figure out how rail and circuit network works.
So far managed to make it so the stations enable in order to request a resource train or a research item pick up.
>>
>>523280
You don't need to constantly rebuild.
Unless you set resources to max you will eventually mine out everything and have to rebuild anyways and by that time you should have unlocked all the red and green stuff.
>>
>>547795
>This is basically cheating lol.
A: Biters attack you constantly when they're inside your pollution.
B: So I remove biters from my pollution to stop the attacks?
A: That's cheating!
????

That's the whole mechanic, you dingus. Why would you bash your head against a wall when you could step aside and walk around it? Especially since biter attacks are tacked onto and not really part of the core gameplay of Factorio. Are you one of those RTS players who thinks rushes and cheese strats are cheating as well?
>>
>>547795
It's balanced by the clearing of biters' nests, which advances evolution. And also takes resources on its own
>>
>>547795
The biters are honestly such a lame ass non-factor that it's not even worth getting a fus over
>>
I think factorio is my favorite game ever, but with 500 hours in Im done for a while.
>>
File: 1535302167421.jpg (150 KB, 720x720)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
I need your guy's expert input. SO me and my friends play this game in a (somewhat) unorthodox manner in which we make it more of a coop They Are Billions with more resource management. Universally we tinker to make biters more of a threat and up the difficulty to where the challenge of the game is surviving and expanding under the constant bug attacks rather than just optimizing the logistics of our factory. Any mod recommendations for this sort of gameplay?
>>
>>552775
Search combat mods, most of them introduce more powerful aliens with different attacks (like spitters that spit fire or poison clouds) on top of more defense options of your own.
>>
>>552775
Rampant https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Rampant
>>
Factorio > DSP (for now) > Satisfactory > everything else
>>
>>552903
>DSP (for now)
Are you implying that it has the potential to become better than Factorio?
>>
Last time I ve played it was like two years ago. Was there something new recently?
>>
>>553389
1.0 came out.
>>
>>553389
It's mostly just polish, plus more mod support, and finally Spidertron was added.
>>
>>553315
DSP has a greater scope, better visuals, lessons learned from Factorio and more development to go before 1.0.
Whether someone likes the game or not, it has more potential, just as AoE2 had more potential than AoE1.
>>
>>554372
It might come close if it gets circuit wizardry like Factorio has. Otherwise it'll never be even close to its depth.
>>
>>553769
>Spidertron
Why is everyone acting like it is a big deal?
>>
>>554389
I don't know but I don't like how it shakes your screen
>>
>>554389
It is when you install mods that let you actually use it before the game is literally over.
>>
This thread isn't ready to go yet. I am now summoning it forth from page 10.
>>
I like Statisfactory more. I really enjoy the full 3D and the fact that you don't need inserter arms for everything.
>>
>>557302
Despite Factorio, Satisfactory and DarkSydePhil being thematically same-ish, they're very different. I see lots of people comparing the two to Factorio but I'm convinced that they're not as comparable as they seem.
The depth of Factorio is what separates it the most from the rest, the way I see it. Hell, apparently you can even make a 3D renderer in it. The mindfuckery levels you can reach in it are simply beyond the other automation games.
>>
Is it possible to "break" the game using circuitry shenanigans? Though knowing the devs it's so tightly coded it's likely impossible. Just wondering, as usually when any kind of logic manipulation is introduced into a game it means that the game can be fucked with.
>>
>spend a few hours on my first run
>theres so much waiting around now for shit to research
ive just been watching anime while my assembler chains produce science packs for my labs. ive put speed module 1's where needed
>>
>>557355
You can't create items but you can code a calculator
>>
>>557302
Satisfactory requires an obscene amount of manual work compared to factorio
>>
>>557302
Satisfactory is such a barely functional game, holy shit. If it wasn't for me playing it with two friends I'd never put any time into it, it takes so much time to do anything and so many features are unfinished, buggy, or poorly thought out. They have no design, they just "introduce" stuff and abandon it, trains are the best example.
>>
Any recommendations for expansion or revamp mods? I've tried Bob's mods but fuckin hell those things are autistic and make things complex in a very annoying way
>>
>>558306
Krastorio 2 is good for a vanilla+ experience.
>>
>>558306
Oh and use Helmod or Factory Planner. What it's Really Used For is also good for a quick ingredient summary.
>>
Any idea what the mod is I was talking about earlier, where you can't do anything yourself but have basic robotics available from the start? Where you basically ARE the factory?
>>
>>552903
Hey, Mindustry deserves a spot in there as well. Not sure if it should go before or after Satisfactory, though. Tempted to say before, as much as I liked the idea of Satisfactory when I first saw the trailer.
>>
File: copy.jpg (972 KB, 1920x1080)
972 KB
972 KB JPG
How do I into trains and drones? Whenever I play factorio I get side tracked and spend most of my time making pretty patterns.
>>
File: 1590824671365.jpg (146 KB, 610x647)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>560419
>>
>>557703
Had the same issue. Factorio kind of forces you into massive parallelization. I liked designing lean systems too, but you are punshed for that. It doesn't want you to move from challenge to challenge, but rather add 8 more furnace columns before each step in development. Pretty silly imo. I partially solved the problem with buffer chests, so my production would keep going in the background and jumpstart the newly added production chains.
>>
>>523215
Anybody else excited to hear about what the dlc expansion is going to be about? I know it will probably be quite a while before any new information comes out, but its fun to speculate.
>>
File: Trainstation.webm (2.86 MB, 1024x576)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB WEBM
>>560419
I make them a necessity. Huge resource size but very spaced out and far apart
>>
>>560675
Didn't they hire the Space Exploration dev? It's probably gonna be space
>>
Should I get it now or wait for a sale?
>>
>>560782
Devs have said it will never go on sale, so you can either start saving up for it or make the purchase
>>
>>560785
>how to make sure your game gets pirated 101
>>
>>560905
I think they're the best reviewed game on Steam. If you're too poor to afford it that doesn't mean everyone else is
>>
>>560911
no shit people who buy a game full price are usually pretty dedicated to it
>>
File: 1551128641764.gif (481 KB, 499x315)
481 KB
481 KB GIF
>>560916
>>
File: 1606904382592.png (688 KB, 500x496)
688 KB
688 KB PNG
>>560785
>he still replies to the biggest memebait of every factorio thread
>>
>>560929
It's for the other people that might be wondering, it's very easy to counter
>>
File: qwe_download.jpg (365 KB, 1600x900)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>523215
While you guys haven't been able to get it up (into orbit), I've been working on pic related.
>>
File: DSP.jpg (28 KB, 844x666)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>whenever I see a factorio thread, I must shit it up with picrelated, for it is in my nature
>t. Xhin Luang Dong, an avid fan of picrelated
>>
>>561293
Does DSP play DSP?
>>
>>560905
You can pirate it regardless of price.
>>
Is artillery worth a damn? Playing deathworld and getting really tired of aliens shitting up everything. Doesn't matter how many turrets I have they always get 1-2 hits off on them and widdle them down over time. Thinking either spamming artillery or repair bots.
>>
>>560439
If your lean solution isn't easily infinitely extendable then it ain't worth a damn
>>
>>557703
Are you retarded? Keep building more assemblers and more everything, you'll need it.
>>
>>561576
Get both artillery and repair bots. Artillery is good.
>>
>>561599
Some people just seem to completely miss the point of the game.
If you're waiting for something to get done, then you're playing it wrong. To me it's an ADHD hell where I constantly have a sizeable list of things to do and it never goes away.
>>
>>561576
>Playing death world and getting tired of aliens
>>
>>561576
Arty is absolutely mandatory for quiet walls.

Also if you have bots and oil well setup, create a wall of mines around your actual walls., with logistics chests with mines (create a green chest and set it to 100 mines in places near the walls).
>>
I struggle to keep my defenses up while also building my factory. I understand what to do for both, but I just can't multitask well enough to do it.
>>
>>561938
If you're playing vanilla, then it's really just a matter of three things:
-create a good production line of red bullets, mines, and arty shells as they become available
-go out on your own (maybe in a tank) to clear out a lot of aliens near your base.
-make walls with a little bit of breathing room so your factory is actually surrounded by somewhat distant walls. Look at your pollution cloud to gauge how far the walls should be (note, starting the game in a desert or very watery area is a disadvantage for this reason, pollution spreads far outside of forest).
>>
>>561990
>Bullets
>Not lasers
>>
>>561610
It was fun when it was a crazy uphill battle, but now that I have 5 established bases to get resources it's really annoying having spitters ding a turret at each base for 1 damage.

>>561608
>>561929
Going to rush these next.
>>
>>562144
>it's really annoying having spitters ding a turret at each base for 1 damage
You didn't set up delivery for repairs and/or replacements or something? How's that even an issue?
>>
>>562021
Not him, but I'm doing a deathworld run and yeah. Bullets/Flamethowers are absolutely necessary. Lasers have low damage in comparison to both and when the entire map is covered with bitters you really feel the pain. Not to mention the high energy consumption when you already are rushing around everywhere and everytime the pollution cloud grows shit gets even harder.

On regular, though, yeah just go lasers.
>>
>>562147
Well the original question was whether or not to go artillery or repair bots first so.......
>>
>>562150
How do you even go for artillery without having automatically repaired and replaced defenses first?
>>
>>562155
Well you see the research is a tree and you can choose which path to go down. The choice I have is either spam repair bots or make it so the aliens can't even get close to my base.
>>
File: 1601275134882.png (178 KB, 811x737)
178 KB
178 KB PNG
>>562158
>Well you see the research is a tree and you can choose which path to go down.
Whoa, no shit? There's just a """tiny bit""" of a difference between having fully automated defenses before getting to artillery, and getting to artillery before having fully automated defenses.
This is some "I learned to run before I learned to walk" kind of shit. Makes no sense to me.
>>
>>562169
>2 tier difference
It's deathworld. Most of my iron is going into armor piercing bullets. If you consider resource cost I would probably get them around the same time, except artillery would keep the bugs from spreading back into my pollution cloud after I clear them out.
>>
File: asfgsfsfaasfasf.jpg (285 KB, 1920x1080)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
>>548915
What is the point of rails, really? Territorial expansion and conveyor belts through the desert seem like the easier option.
I'm new, 38h here
>>
>>561576
That's what artillery is for. They destroy nests in a huge range, and aggro the biters there. So you only have to defend around the artillery.
>>
>>562500
Rails are far cheaper, and have far higher throughput. In terms of raw resources, it's roughly the same to run a single yellow transport belt as it is to run a rail line, and if you run 1-2 trains, probably the simplest setup for a 2-way track, you can easily get multiple stations unloading 2 blue belts each with enough trains.
>>
>>561576
why not just repair your turrets with bots
>>
>>562724
I'm fucked on resources. The aliens spread like crazy and I feel like it would take the same amount of resources to set up a logistics network as it would to setup artillery. It'd be easier to expand if I already kicked them back some.
>>
>>562730
i haven't played deathworld since before it officially became a setting but i feel like if you can afford artillery you should be able to afford bots, especially since you're probably going to need them anyway
>>
File: uranium.png (292 KB, 307x309)
292 KB
292 KB PNG
>>523215
>>523215
What's the point of Uranium? I set up a lot of solar panel/accumulator production early on and it seems so much easier to throw that down than to go through the whole process of getting a nuclear power plant going. Nukes could be fun I guess but the whole thing seems unnecessary.
>>
>>563123
nuclear ammo, nuclear fuel, space-efficient clean power
>>
File: 0415A5-1024x538.jpg (71 KB, 1024x538)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>563123
Nuclear artillery.
>>
>>563123
h-haha, that thumbnail looks like some kind of robot blue-on-yellow gay porn if you squint, haha lol that's silly...
>>
>>563123
Nuclear power plants get an "adjacency bonus". For every other nuclear power plant touching the sides of a plant (must be perfectly aligned), the plant gets an extra 100% free energy output. So a 2x2 of nuclear power plants generates as much as 12 standalone plants. They are incredibly efficient. If you're only running a factory on a few hundred MW then solar works fine, yeah, but if you need multiple GW of power then nuclear really shines, since your alternative is building and placing tens or hundreds of thousands of solar panels and accumulators.

Uranium ammo is also disgusting, and will melt large biters the same way piercing ammo melts medium biters. Not to mention the tank shells.
>>
I never launched a rocket.

I stop after yellow science. After that point the game is only copypasting existing setups to create tenfold/hundredfold production to feed blue chips.
>>
>>562731
I can't afford both I think.

>>563123
On my first playthrough I did solar and it made sense. On deathworld I def couldn't. The aliens spread aggressively back into your territory, and their nests get huge by the time you get solars. Taking over and defending multiple large areas of solar panels just isn't viable.
>>
>>562730
You still needs bots for artillery. You're not going to set up a logistics network, but rather a roboport to repair defenses around the artillery
>>
>>563123
Nuclear mogs solar hard. A single reactor can output as much power as 4000 solar panels + 3360 accumulators.
Sure solar is free after built, but nuclear fuel is very cheap. And once you research kovarex, it might as well be free too
>>
>>563512
God damnit. I was hoping when I beat the aliens back the artillery could keep them back while I tried to figure out where to expand.
>>
>>563393
You're just weak
>>
>>563915
Which is why it's been mentioned how illogical it is to not have automated defenses while using artillery.
>>
>>564000
What is even the point to artillery if they can't keep the aliens from setting up bases near you?
>>
>>564018
But artillery does exactly that. Think of it as a kind of turret with a fuckhuge range, one that keeps bug bases far away from your walls.
More efficient than manually going out there and clearing out space.
>>
>>564040
Then it does exactly what I want and I was told the opposite here >>563512 Why would I ever need to blow my time/resources on repair bots when my artillery turrets makes it so the aliens can never get inside my pollution cloud AND I can spread out more easily because the aliens are beaten back?
>>
>>564054
Because once artillery goes ham on the aliums they'll retaliate en masse. And every time artillery is used you'll have to go there and fix everything up, manually, which can be avoided entirely if your defenses are fully automated.
>>
>>564054
It destroys the *nests* (and worms), not the biters. When they get attacked, the whole nest will rush the artillery.
And you're massively underestimating artillery costs. If you can't afford to protect your base with turrefs, you're nowhere near affording artillery. You'd be better off putting efficiency modules everywhere, and setting up nuclear power
>>
>>564079
>>564101
I already cleared out the nests they just keep popping back. My original plan was to build artillery and camp with my tank until everything is dead and hope it would keep things dead. I guess I didn't realize the artillery cant target the biters themselves. I already had turrets setup, but never did the repair bots because I have been fighting constantly to get fuel, then more iron, then uranium, and now more copper. I guess I'll have to get repair bots.
>>
>>528838
>>525274
I don't know how people get to 60-70 hours on a single run. I just finished my first play through and it only took me 25~ hours, albeit I played on peaceful and spaghetti'd everything after blue science. The rocket doesn't even feel like it's at the end of the research tech tree.
>>
>>566309
By making "temporary solutions" which require constant attention from the plaher
>>
>>567458
Pretty much this. When I just started out and restarted a bunch of times I wasn't aware of the desert start being a bit more troublesome than when you start in some foresty area.
Back then the longest run without even launching the rocked lasted for about 60 hours and it was full of "temporary" solutions so I ended up going back and forth a lot, unnecessarily.
And I must be severely unlucky because every time I restarted it was in a desert somewhere. That contributed a lot to the frequency of "oh shit" moments with the bugs.
Overall I'm just plain braindead. It can easily take you hundred of hours to launch a rocket if you're as retarded as I am.
>>
>>567482
hundreds*
>>
File: 1590762479111.jpg (694 KB, 911x958)
694 KB
694 KB JPG
>>567482
Also, just as an example of the depth of my retardation:
picrelated, made in a sandbox before applying it in the actual game, was a prototype for automating outposts wherever needed. I just wanted it to be automatically refilled with whatever it needed to defended itself and stay up without my intervention. Whenever whatever shit went below a certain amount, the train would deliver everything in bulk to refill it all up to another certain amount and do this to every outpost that lit up with requests, and then stay idle until further notice.
Extremely simple, right? Wanna know how long it took me to figure out this babby-mode outpost automation?
8 fucking hours. To realize just how much of a brainlet you are is painful.
>>
>>566309
>I don't know how people get to 60-70 hours on a single run. I just finished my first play through and it only took me 25~ hours albeit I played on peaceful and spaghetti'd everything after blue science.
>peaceful and spaghetti'd everything after blue science
Why even ask a question just to give the answer yourself? Let's be honest, you just want to brag about a completion in 25h (lol) and expected a pat on the head from us, right?

The speedrun is 1.5 hours. A common achievement is sub 8 hours. It's not hard or uncommon to quickly launch a rocket. The better questions are did you have fun and have you learned something for the future (if you want to continue the game)? If at blue science you were already in "eh, fuck it" mode, the game is probably just not for you. If the only thing you care for is getting to the end instead of optimizing, designing and scaling up then you've picked up the wrong game. Some people like a combat challenge with constant biter pressure, some people like the autistic optimization, most like learning all the systems and working out slick blueprints - why the fuck did you start playing or rather why did you continue playing after 5 hours if you evidently care about neither?

>I don't know how people get to 60-70 hours on a single run.
1) By dealing with biters and figuring out the pros and cons of all the different weapons.
2) By not beelining the rocket and instead unlocking all the techs.
3) By exploring options like comparing steam, solar and nuclear power and fucking around with modules.
4) By creating well-balanced and scaleable blueprints.
5) By learning the logic system.
6) By fucking around and exploring what else the game has to offer.
>>
>>567860
I know a 25h completion isn't impressive. It's hard to optimize everything when you don't know what you'll need in the future. It became evident pretty early on that the game doesn't give you any real indication of which stuff will be important down the line so I decided to do a test playthrough (where I play on peaceful) just so I'd know what to do for my next playthrough. I know I'm not some genius which is why it's interesting to me that some people get over 60 hours per playthrough when I completely stumbled through mine and finished in 25. Even with the knowledge I have now and with plans to do everything as optimally as possible and to have the challenge of biters I sincerely doubt my next playthrough will last more than 40 hours.
>>
>>568206
>>566309
Took me 45 hours. I think it all stems from doing shit like getting my whole factory on solar power for no reason, building way more laser turrets than I would ever need, and just experimenting with stuff rather than speed running a rocket. I also didn't build robots, which probably didn't help either.
>>
File: 1618157856452.gif (1.63 MB, 255x164)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB GIF
>page 10
>>
>>523215
What are good mods?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.