[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 34 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ghj.jpg (639 KB, 1920x1080)
639 KB
639 KB JPG
city builder game recomendations and discussion, keep it ancient/medieval/fantasy if you can.
>>
>>512491
it's not a general.
you can suck a cock as well.
>>
>>512495
ok, go on then good sir
>>
I have a question about several games if you guys played any of those please elaborate:
>Foundation
>Stronghold Warlords
>Nebuchadnezzar
>Project Hospital
>Jurassic Park Evolution
>Cartel Tycoon
>Endzone
>Planet Coaster
>Kingdoms and Castles
>Dorf Romantik
>Dyson Sphere Program
>Dawn of Man
>>
As I was saying before I was so rudely interupted. How is Cape Trelawney balanced in Anno 1800 multiplayer. My understanding is that it's one huge island and some medium ones. The guy who is first to colonize gets a way better deal than the rest.
>>
>>512525
Can't tell friend, I always played Anno solo
>>
>>512521
>Stronghold Warlords
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaotiOp45dg
>>
>>512546
I'm asking because I don't know
>>
>>512521
>Jurassic Park Evolution
Garbage
>Planet Coaster
Parkitect is way better
>Dawn of Man
Good, but worse than Banished
>>
>>512556
interesting
>>
>>512521
planet coaster is the only one i've played out of those. it's nice, but i feel like building rollercoasters is much too tedious in it.
>>
>>512521
Planet coaster is good if you liked the 3D rollercoaster tycoon game since it got away from the grid entirely, but if you are more into the isometric games then the OpenRCT2 or Parkitect might be more up your alley. ORCT2 is free so if you don't know anything about the themepark tycoon genre then that's a good place to start.
>>
>>512659
I started playing this game yesterday after a friend of mine recommending me it, and i went and played as germany and turned them into a peaceful democratic nation with the road to 56 mod (or maybe its from one of the dlcs i totally 100% didnt pirate) and its kinda comfy just watching the national focus bar go by, didnt even start a war yet because the combat disinterests me is, the combat part of the game even any good?
>>
>>512491
Fuck off
>>
>>512521
Isn't Dyson Sphere just a simplified and chinese Factorio? Haven't played it but from what I've seen you would probably be more happy with that instead, but anons are free to correct me.
>>
>>512712
>Isn't Dyson Sphere just a simplified and chinese Factorio?
no idea
>>
I tried to like the Impressions citybuilders but I've come to realize they're puzzle games with a city theme. My settlements look nothing like real cities.
>>
>>512521
>>Foundation
If you like The Settellers game i would recomend. Very good, comfy, a lot of customization
>>Stronghold Warlords
HAven't played it but everyone says its shit.
>>Nebuchadnezzar
Unfinished, still fun, only $20 so it wasn'tt a huge waste. Dev is a twat so don't expect much.
>>Project Hospital
Looks ugly but has a lot of depth to it. I prefer Two Point though
>>Jurassic Park Evolution
If you can get this for cheap then it's a good weekend or two of casual fun. I found it pretty addictive and relaxing though shallow
>>Cartel Tycoon
Havent played it or am aware of any current standings with the game
>>Endzone
Banished 1.5 Devs are unironic Gretta worshippers who are gimping their own game to push bullshit green agenda. They are also retarded in general and the game has a ton of broken and completely unbalanced issues and design choices that make zero sense.
>>Planet Coaster
It's good. People say the managment is bad but I have no issues with it. It's creative freedom is the strongest part. Still I would say Parkitect is more fun and it has multiplayer, monthly community challenges and is cheaper
>>Kingdoms and Castles
It's great. really enjoy it. Simple but still has a lot of depth to it. Devs keep working on the game and while updates are few they add a lot. Also pretty cheap.
>>Dorf Romantik
Not a builder game. It's a psudo board game. Despite it I find it amazing. Very comfy, challenging, relaxing.
>>Dyson Sphere Program
HAven't played it but people say it is good. Still done by shady chink company. Factorio of Satisfactory are still better choices.
>>Dawn of Man
It's shit don't bother. They tried to sell their game over people thinking it was another, highly anticipated builder game of the same theme and it worked. Still a fucking mess of a game and the devs are incompitent.
>>
>>513010
>It's shit don't bother. They tried to sell their game over people thinking it was another, highly anticipated builder game of the same theme and it worked. Still a fucking mess of a game and the devs are incompitent.
Which one? As far I'm aware the only other title with similar premise is Ancient Cities and it's hot garbage that wish to be at least half as good as Dawn of Man.
>>
>>512556
>Good, but worse than Banished
Banished isn't even good though
>>
>>513010
thanks for the breakdown anon, anything you would recommend yourself?
>>
Check out the demo for Timberborn. It's interesting even though it's survival.
I'm fucking sick of survival city builders.
>>
>>513199
Ye I just want a comfy game, I don't want another fucking Frostpunk
>>
>>513222
Anno series is pretty good. It isn't entirely citybuilder since a lot of it is also to supply the city you've built, but if you have Dyson Sphere on your list then it's deffinitley worth checking out. 1800 is the most current one and all-around best, but 1404 and 2070 ain't that bad either.
>>
>>512712
>Isn't Dyson Sphere just a simplified and chinese Factorio
simplified, chinese 3D factorio where you can travel from planet to planet. Keeps you entertained until you've built your Dyson sphere because after that I just didn't see any point playing it anymore. Much better than Satisfactory though.
>>
>>513251
I played all Annos besides 1800, Ubishit can fuckoff with their launcher though
>>
>>513450
>not playing the best anno by far because of a launcher
>>
>>512521
I've been getting back into city builders so Kingdoms & Castles is the only one I've played
I'd say it's good for 5-6 hours, once you hit the late game it flatlines with no real goals except getting your population up. That's incredibly boring since you'll just be copy-pasting manors and taking care of whatever resources end up getting drained by it
The combat is a chore that gets worse the larger your population gets. It also gets worse if you build enough walls to enclose your city but that's unlikely to ever happen

The game really needs more late-game resources and some vertical buildings so that we can avoid the endless manor sprawl
>>
>>513451
I don't think my pc can run 1800 well
>>
>>512521
>Project Hospital
fun
>endzone
still needs some work. i dont like the overall feel of it
>dorf romantik
shit. its just carcassone
>>
>>513977
its amazingly optimized. i cant run doom 2016 but i can run anno 1800
>>
>>514206
>its just carcassone
but carcassone is fun
>>
>>512521
>>Nebuchadnezzar
A lot of neat ideas, but missing most of the charm of the classic Sierra citybuilders.
>>
>>513222
the problem is that comfy game today means that the game has only a sandbox mode and that's it, no missions. So you'll get around 10 hours of fun before you've seen everything the game has to offer.
>>
>>513222
RCT games are built on comfy.
>>
How is ostriv? Is it worth checking out?
>>
i want people to give a shit about in my medieval village.
>>
>>514366
like SC4 you could tag people and kind of watch their lives. i need more of that but able to affect them, give them better/worse lives or whatever. see them commit crimes or be exceptional at something.
>>
>>514372
Closest to that without going full colony sim is maybe Tropico, although the ways you can interact with individuals are limited to stereotypical dictator stuff. It's a bit sad that the series leaned as much into the humor as it did. A serious take on the same thing could have some serious depth
>>
>>514373
t. juanito
>>
File: Metropolis.jpg (187 KB, 843x1200)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
Fuck OP wishes

Recommend me a good City builder game, or a good mod for an established city builder game/title that lets me build a futuristic/cyberpunk looking city
>>
>>515135
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S13uBs_QVu8
>>
>>515135
no fuk u
>>
>>515458
>Thumbnail shows a large tower with a windy slide
My inner child is deeply pleased by this decision.
>>
>>514373
I thought about making a Tropico rip-off centered on a tiny fictional 51st American State. I shelved the idea because the Cold War era in America translates to the Civil Rights era domestically, and I couldn't come up with a way to make that shit "fun".
>>
>>518711
>I shelved the idea because the Cold War era in America translates to the Civil Rights era domestically, and I couldn't come up with a way to make that shit "fun".
I can think of a few, but none that wouldn't get you cancelled
>>
>>518769
Oh buddy, don't I know.
>President Carter has vowed to take military action to enforce the 13th Amendment and end slavery in your state. -5 relations with Democrats
>>
Are there any city builders where you can't stockpile resources at all? Rather than saving up for buildings, you just need to justify the upkeep
>>
>>512488
I like banished
>>
>>512521
>Foundation
Lots of charm. It is fun and has a ton of potential but development moves at a snails pace so fair warning.
>>
Is Anno 1404 fun? I have this game sitting in my GOG library for ages now, but I never really gave it a try.
>>
>>515135
Anno 2070 is pretty good for that solar punk itch if you play as eden initiative
>>
>>512488
ONE OF YOUR PLANTS HAS STOPPED PRODUCING GOODS
>>
>>512488
fellow 1404 anons' help:
My game broke and every time I turn it on, all the buttons in all menus and game are pulsating. Pressing it fixes the pulsating of this particular one, but the rest stays and they are very irritating.
I tried searching the problem online, but everything I found was among the lines of:
>"got that problem"
>"have you reinstalled drivers?"
>"yes, it didn't work"
>last reply 3.04.2010

Does anyone know how to fix this?
>>
>>512521
>Foundation
Unstable trash
>Stronghold Warlords
The best thing to happen to Stronghold franchse since Crusader, which... still doesn't make it good. But it's something and if you squint, it's enjoyable
>Nebuchadnezzar
Eh. Release state was abysmal, gameplay-wise, and it feels like an open beta with the new update and the sudden "roadmap" to "fix" it. Why release unfinished game in the first place?
>Project Hospital
Theme Hospital if it was made by soulless hacks trying to cash-in on nostalgia. Just play Two Point Hospital for actual nostalgia fix
>Jurassic Park Evolution
Yo, I've heard you dig dinosaurs, so here is my modern take on Zoo Tycoon: Dinosaur Digs
>Cartel Tycoon
A mobile game made 5 years ago and released last month. Boring, repetitive, with nothing going on in it
>Endzone
Still didn't have chance to play it
>Planet Coaster
RollerCoaster Tycoon 4: The Unofficial Installment. If weighted as part of RCT, it's a genuine improvement over 3, if treated as it's "own" thing, it's a decent game
>Kingdoms and Castles
Tedium for the sake of tedium, with nothing interesting ever going in it
>Dorf Romantik
Needs further development BADLY, just like patches. I want to like this game, but in its current state it's the definition of 5/10 mediocrity
>Dyson Sphere Program
Still didn't have chance to play it
>Dawn of Man
Fun on first time, interesting each time on a map you didn't play, but eventually it just gets repetitive as all hell. Still, the best thing in its own genre of "prehistoric settlement development", head and shoulders above competition
>>
>>513222
Frostpunk had the general issue of failing as a builder in every possible regard. I've played it once, without any prep. Without knowing anything about in-game elements or mechanics, I've blitzed through it, so the entire survival aspect of it was lost to me - after all, it was piss easy to pull it, so what's the big deal? As a builder it's just "set up more shacks, then carry on".
>>
>>520231
Endzone is a big "fuck you" to Paradox and their Surviving the Aftermath. It's been so long in development (as an open, paid beta) and so lackluster, out of frustration bunch of Germs made their own - and better.
>>
>>512521
>Planet Coaster

It's a great game. The management part is a bit lacking, as in it's too easy to rake in money, but if you want to focus on building your dream coasters it's a lot of fun. You can spend hours upon hours theming your park, building stations, food stalls and whatnot.

That said, I personally prefer Planet Zoo. The management of animals is more complex and I really enjoy looking at the incredibly beautifully modeled animals. Also I get more kicks out of autistically building a habitat inside a mountain and theming it versus building a coaster. This game actually got me thinking are they going to challenge The Sims next, they have created a shitton of props with incredible detail. They could easily build a Sims-esque game with a focus on building houses next.
>>
File: ostriv).jpg (97 KB, 616x353)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>512488
any opinion on this one?
>>
>>521175
I've had my eye on this. It looks really cozy, but I refuse to buy early access games on principle.
>>
>>513199
The beaver gimmick is a bit weird, but I like a lot of what I see. Irrigation, excavation, damming rivers, modular, designer buildings. I really like the art models too, very Banished-esque. But alas
>early access
>>
>>521175
It's cool if you like the depressing aesthetic. The simulation part is well done.
>>521240
It certainly is original, damming rivers and lakes to conserve water for period of drought is a very interesting mechanic.
>>
>>521175
eh/10
Lost any hope it will be actually finished, given how many years its in development and how they can't properly optimise it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.