[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 55 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: aoe2 announce.png (930 KB, 1360x2146)
930 KB
930 KB PNG
Wishlist for AoE2 ? for me better performances (late game team games still nearly unplayable) and better custom scenario support. I wish they revamped the quickplay queue to actually do something different from the regular queue. A queue for alternating game modes including custom scenarios and coop scenarios would be nice. some of the most fun I've had with this game was the Barbarossa event, such a simple concept but should be expanded for competitive multiplayer. watch how they fuck up the main menu again
>>
mississippi
>>
Less gimmicky shit, better pathfinding and mapgen
>>
Remove Burgundians and Sicilians and add Tarascans, another African civ, and another Indian civ.
>>
Still missing: Iroquois, Tibetans, Polynesians, Poles, Zimbabweans, Münster, Swiss, Bengalis, Mapuche, Tamils, Afghans, Armenia, Kongolese, Kurds, Swahili, Siam, Nubians, Vandal, Somalis, Uyghurs, Jurchen, Caribs, Pueblos, Sinhalese, Punjabs, Tlaxcalans, Zapotecs, Chimu, Khazars, Muisca, Maratha, Vlachs, Malagasy, Benin, Kannadigas, Oriya, Kanembu, Tarascans, Visayan, Austrians, Mughals and Georgians
>>
>>510072
Rosterniggers should be gassed
>>
>>510227
You forgot some: Norwegians, Swedes, Danes, Faroese, Manx, Northern Irish, New Yorkers, Bostonians, Bactrians, Uigurs, Ainu, Kosovo-Albanians, East Germans.
>>
>>510257
>East Germans
slavs are already in
>>
>>510257
>Ainu
The Japanese would boycott the game if they made it into a civ, not going to happen
>>
>>510143
This. Also stop installing mods which I never asked for and uninstalled 50 times already.
>>
>>510283
>The Japanese would boycott the game
both of them?
>>
>>510283
You're a special kind of retard, aren't you?
>>
>>510257
>North Irish
Covered by Celts
>>
More gimmicky shit, better pathfinding and mapgen
>>
I would like the devs to be open of possibilities. Let's think, what makes a good game? I think it is varation. Maybe a new civ? Let's think about that. Maybe African civ. Maybe Asian. Maybe South-America. But those are obvious choices. What would be good is something more interesting. I don't know, but what about North-America? I can think of something interesting there
>>
File: 9471.png (55 KB, 192x192)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
More stuff for the scenario editor, better pathfinding, fixing of performance issues, more campaigns hopefully and specially my never ever wish: Unique look for all non-unique units for every civ, or at least make them look different for the Middle East, Indian, Far East, African and Mesoamerican civs.
>>
>>510227
>Mapuche
Based
>>
>>510907
>Maybe a new civ?
>37 isn't enough
>>
>>510947
It's not like more civs hurt the game or anything. As long as it's not broken like Cumans on release they could add 20 more civs for all I care.
>>
>>510072
North American Indians.
>>
>>510911
>Unique look for all non-unique units for every civ, or at least make them look different for the Middle East, Indian, Far East, African and Mesoamerican civs.

That would clutter up the game design so fucking much. It would be impossible to read what all the units are.
>>
>>511050
Just keep the silhouettes similar. You see an Egyptian man with a sword and no horse? Guess what it is.
>>510907
Doesn't matter. AoE2 doesn't represent full civs mechanically. You're begging for a cupcake with your name written on it. The assets are already out there. Go nuts.
>>
>>511050
>>511065
That or simply keep the icons the same
>>
>>511065
I'd be ok with maybe skin tones or heralds on their shields and whatnot. Games like Rise of Nations add all these little bits on the units that make them very hard to tell apart.
>>
>>510072
Can you stop spamming this shitty game on the strategy forum? Aoe2 is RTS it isn't strategy, it's more micro than mind and you don't belong
>>
>>511094
>I am bad at game so it isn't strategical
Go back to your hoi4 threads
>>
>>511050
Modders could do that (if it wasn't impossibly hard due to the quality of models needed to look good in DE) but the way things are now you can only mod something like that by changing the dataset. On the other hand, if they officially added something like that in, changing back with a mod would be trivial. And you don't need much differentiation. If current champion had a Japanese sword and a kabuto style helmet you would still be able to identify it while being unique enough to be fun.
>>
>>511094
micro helps, but you can 100% climb up the ladder with just good game sense and strategy. look up dave_aoe on twitch, he got up to 1500 without a fucking keyboard
>>
>>511094
RTS: real... time.... uhhhhhhhh what does the S stand for again?
>>
>>511203
Sex
>>
>>511203
Sinoclick
>>
>>511203
Shitposting
>>
>>511214
as opposed to turn-based sex
>>
>>511203
Sneed
>>
>>511050
as long as you keep the base silhouettes, color line placement, and animation itll be not that hard to figure out, the problem with most mods that have this kinf of feature is that most of the unit skins got different silhouette, stance, and animations, so everytime you see an army coming u gotta click on them first to identify what unit is this, most notably is the spearmen line, in those mods the halbs walking and idle stance for several civs is similar to a skirmishers(spears held forward on one hand), or light cavs dressed too glamour so they looked like knights, or in some units they share the exact same skin
>>
>>511203
Stav
>>
I hope the devs know what has to be done
>>
>>510295
kek
>>
>>510227
Honestly though, why are Cumans in the game, but not Khazars?
>>
>>510298
>>510295
I don't think it would be good to lose that market
>>
>>513754
Cumans represent every civ in the region, just look at their AI player names, there are Khazar and Pecheneg names there. Same thing with Tatars representing Timurids but also the Golden Horde and others. So why name them Cumans? Probably for the campaign and to have the cool mask as the civ symbol.
>>
We want more civs!
>>
>We need to add more irrelevant civs
>>
We need to remove some civs. Like the Burgundians and Sicilians.
>>
>>510072
-indians split
-rename slavs to rus
-unique castles for every civ because making it so that only sicilians, burgundians, and indians have their own unqiue castle skins is stupid
>>
More campaigns and single missions
Better pathfinding
Better connection stability

Those are my only real wants. Having 40 civs would be nice but 35 was plenty too.
>>
>>514106
>irrelevant
Surely you must be joking
>>
>>514162
Name one relevant civ that isn't in AoE 2 already
>>
>>514139
Yeah one of the things people have to get with civs becomes clear when you look at Burgundians and Sicilians - there are so few unique elements to give bonuses to left that they've had to make them both extremely fucking weird.
>>
https://twitter.com/AgeOfEmpires/status/1380188699519021058

What did they mean by this?
>>
>>514217
Looks like some kind of ARG
>>
I'd unironically be happy with a sort of single player scenario/campaign design competition where the winners get their scenario or campaign professionally voice acted and added as a cheap $5 or $10 DLC. Something like 2 campaigns and 3 new historical battle scenarios.
>>
>>510283
>The Japanese would boycott the game if they made it into a civ
You're a retard. There's lots of Japanese media portraying the Ainu positively and they've been a recognized indigenous people by the Japanese government since 2008, they even have national museums dedicated to Ainu culture now.
>>
>>514217
>>514287
It says:
>setyourdiplomacytoally
Still, what did they mean by this?
>>
>>514217
first letter of each taunt
>>
>>514172
Relevant to what?
>>
>>514172
frisians because flemish militia doesn’t cut it
>>
>>514319
Reminds me to what the AI would do in the original AoK and AoC
>>
>>514172
Depends what you consider a civ, and the time period involved, but I would argue the Polynesians, the Gerogians (or greater Christian Caucasian peoples) the African Vandals, and the Tarascans would all be relevant and meet the standards set by other civs.
>>
>>514362
You seem to know your stuff. Is there maybe a civ possible from North America?
>>
>>514172
Yoruba. The closest they have are the Mande, who have a Fon UU.
>>
>Arabia only queue, but keep Arabia in the regular queue (bonus points if they set it up where Arabia only queue players can play against normal queue players if both players select Arabia)
>more campaigns, at least a Lithuanian campaign so all civs can have a campaign or historical mission associated with them
>maybe a co-op tower defense like game mode with queue with a small pool of maps and a difficulty which adjusts to the mean rating of the players
>>
>>514401
Not really, not that would fit within the scope of the game. No, the Mississippians don't count.
>>
>>514503
>>Arabia only queue, but keep Arabia in the regular queue (bonus points if they set it up where Arabia only queue players can play against normal queue players if both players select Arabia)
bro just favorite arabia and you will get it 100% time
>>
>>511043
Are Cumans still broken?
>>
>>514782
They got overnerfed so now they have one of the lowest win rates from what I remember. Although I've seen some pros like Viper saying that they're still good enough on closed maps.
>>
AOE2 needs Warcraft 3 scale custom game scenes
>>
>>511094
>micro more than mind
tell that to daut lol
>>
>>510072
more wall nerfs
>>
>>514362
How the fuck would you make anything for the Polynesians?
>>
>>514893
Maori Wardancers would be an 11/10 unique unit but yeah overall I can't see them working within the framework of AOE2 due to the fact that I can't really find any evidence online that Polynesians had any significantly large structures that could reasonably serve as the castle or wonder.

Now that's working within the CURRENT framework, back in 1999, pre-Conquerors, the same argument could have been made with Meso civs and no horses. So I think Polynesians (and a North American civ) could be feasible if they were given an alternate building to castles that was smaller and weaker and cheaper and they figured out how to make wonders work.

Of course, there's the other hurdle to overcome that there's feasibly no way to make a Polynesian architecture style that will be used by more than 1 civ, desu kind of the same with North America, but honestly I think the hurdles would be worth it to round out the worldwide roster to include every corner of the world.

I am a Polynesia need in general though so I would also accept them in 3 where they might make slightly more thematic sense what with their heavy ties to exploration and ability to more easily deviate from the tech tree, or an Age of Mythology expansion
>>
>>514893
>>514972
Polynesians could also have some pretty nice naval stuff. They're known for building home networks out over the water so you could build dock pathing and houses on water which would be huge on water maps for making your fishing ships as secure as a land based food economy

They were also known for their canoes, they traveled the far reaches of the Pacific ocean in badass fucking canoes. So you could feasibly replace traditional transport shops with a transport canoe that's less beefy and doesn't get upgrades to hold 10000 units but are fast as fuck and slippery cause of their size. You could similarly either replace the Galley or add on top of it a war canoe with anti-ship attacks like using torches on them or fire arrows, similarly small and slippery.

Itd sort of thing where you set up a big navy and next thing you know the Polynesian player has snuck behind your island in record time and is currently unloading units on your ass. It's not tooled to destroy a major navy, just out maneuver it
>>
>>514893
ignore those mississippifags, theyll rather add shitskin "civs" that barely creating a semblance of a civs irl(like abbos, polynesians, or plains indians) rather than euro/asian civs for the token minority points, separated indian factions are good, or african civs like kanem bornu, i still agree to that, but these group of people that barely had anything to be called an empire in a game with title of empire in it just feels way too forced
>>
>>515024
We're at the point of having Italy AND Sicily in the game. The only reason anyone is suggesting these civs is because they're literally the only parts of the world unrepresented in-game and we're literally running out of choices that don't split hairs. You wouldn't catch me legitimately suggesting Polynesians for AOE4s 10 or less roster. The only reason you see these civs coming up now is because we're nearing the end of the checklist

I agree that abboriginals are insane though, unless I'm vastly unaware of something Micronesians and Aboriginals were barely above hunter gatherer. Polynesians settled a square mileage of ocean larger than the British Empire would eventually come to own before colonial times (specifically, during the AOE2 date range). And I'm not an expert but with the likes of Aztecs and Incas and Mayans existing in the Americas I'm hard pressed to imagine there isn't at least one North American civilization that has had it's shit together enough to make sense as a civ but I'm willing to admit I could be wrong.

Polynesians are absolutely enough of a naval powerhouse to at least be considered even if the hurdles to include them might be too great
>>
>>515045
yeah the recent aoe2 de dlc civs selection is kinda redundant, especially when the "generic civs" that represent both france and italy in general already existed, but the one id really like to see is a southern indian civ with an elephant based focus or another african civs, either the kanem bornu or the congo empire
>>
>>515045
>We're at the point of having Italy AND Sicily in the game.
Originally Cysion wanted to add Lombards for the forgotten empires mod/expansion, representing northern Italians. I don't remember if he ever explained why he changed his mind, but they got renamed to the more generic Italians for release. Now that we have Sicilians maybe it's time to rename them.
>>
>>515045
the closest one to a native north americans that got their shit straight and abandoned nomadic lifestyle are mississipians and pueblos, but other than a mound and some literal mudhuts on a cliff there are barely any records about what are they doing so its still vague at best
>>
renaming civs names, especially vikings and teutons, for vikings, its like having a job name as a civ, for the teutons, the people who bear the name existed way long before the game time frame, and since im pretty sure they based it on the knight order, why there isnt another knight order civ existed in the game?
>>
>>515057
About Italy there is this:
>>515059
and the fact that they wanted to represent the Normans. So you have a faction that represents the Normans, southern Italians and northern Africans in that region. Now Burgundians to me are only there because Cysion is Belgian. Evidence:
https://twitter.com/CysionBE/status/1353989949306109952
>And on a more personal note, it's amazing to see my own country, Belgium represented in a video game today. The Burgundians are really stacked with little references to the medieval Low Countries :)
Like, Franks were already there but he wanted to represent Belgium/Netherlands.

>>515074
I have this feeling like originally the civs were named after the peoples from the fall of Rome. So you start in the dark age as the Franks and develop your empire into France for example. Would explain the weird names like Britons or Teutons. But this all went out the window with the Conquerors expansion, because now you have the Spanish when you already had the Goths.
>>
>>515084
>forgot about the britons, goths and the celts

at this time im pretty sure the lead designer at ES just wanted every civs come up on their head/they just read from kids history books. and we got a caesar era celts because the ES teams just thought that mel gibson looked cool in braveheart, even though we could get at least viking age-to-middle age scotireland mix civs
>>
Remove coustilier charge attack against the spear line.
Give Sicilians regular towers and remove the attack of donjons.
>>
Give me my damn Mississippians you pricks
>>
>>516017
Why are they so important to you? Are you a Native American from that area?
>>
You know, I'd like a map where your enemies are inaccesible to you because of forest, and you have to chop your way through to reach them.
>>
>>514972
>wonders
The Huns come to mind.
>>
>>516017
I hope you never get any Mississippians, not in AoE and not in any other game ever.
>>
>>516983
I hope you never whatever
>>
>>514893
Naval civ primarily. Historically speaking they were beyond being tribals around the 1200s after centuries of contact with the Chinese and Muslim missionaries. Think less Maori and more Brunei Sultanate.
>>
>>514972
>and a North American civ
Name a single NA king.
>>
>>517042
Woudln't the Brunei Sultanate be covered by the Malay?
>>
>>516924
>The Huns
Insofar as they're comparable to the other civs the Huns are quite the anomaly. They're essentially a alien invasion and likely the only reason we know as much about them as we do is because they ran into the Romans.
>>
>>516924
Cumans too.
>>
One day more.
>>
>>517062
Partially, but not entitely. Like many other cultures and peoples, there's a blending over a few hundred years.
>>
>>516518
I am just a guy who likes them
>>
>>515654
so the nerf the two worse civs in the game? ok
>>
>>516576
Khmer gang where we at?
>>
>>518556
Oh right, they can cut through forest in the castle age already... that's not good.
>>
I hope you realize that map with no interaction with your opponent until imperial age would play like shit and would create 4 hours long torture sessions for all parties involved. If you are into such thing go for CBT or something similiar instead.
>>
>>519589
>CBT
Cognitive behavioral therapy?
I'm not saying the forest has to be a million tiles thick. Put a bunch of lumberjacks on it and reach your enemy in the late castle age or something. Or get an onager if things take a bit longer. Also you don't have to play maps you don't like.
>>
>>519594
>Cognitive behavioral therapy?
no, the other CBT
>>
>>519597
I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>519589
Time for some Mayans v Mayans kino, remember no onager cut
>>
How do I become as light-hearted and high IQ as viper?
>>
Where are the Mississippians?
>>
>>519680
just got delayed
>>
>>519680
never
>>
>>519684
>>519743
I have been waiting 25 years for them. I deserve it to have them as a faction
>>
>>517048
Burka Obongo
>>
File: 1557699995236.gif (168 KB, 375x375)
168 KB
168 KB GIF
>>520075
Alright, that got me.
>>
Dawn of the Dukes has been confirmed, we're going to Eastern Europe boys.
>>
>>520470
Shucks :/
>>
>>517048
B.B. King
Martin Luther King
Burger King

that was easy
>>
>>520470
No.
No, no.
No, no, no, no ,no.
No, no, no, no ,no, no, no, no ,no, no, no, no ,no, no, no, no ,no.
>>
>>520470
Are we gonna get a revamped Dracula campaign with actual Wallachia or Romania civ?
>>
>>520470
So probably Poland and Romania. Doesn't sound like Bohemia.
>>
It was time for the Mississippians. Why would they do such a cruel thing?
>>
>>520622
you get USA in AoE3, enjoy
>>
>>520583
I doubt it, they will definitively gonna add Poland, the second civ is uncertain, could be Novgorod, could be either one of the Balkans (Serbia, Romania, etc) or perhaps they could add Bohemia, though is a bit unlikely since Bohemia is more of Central Europe
>>
>>510227
>Tlaxcalans
literally why
>>
>>520858
That one bothers you? Münster, Somalis and Caribs are okay, but that one bothers you?
>>
>>520861
Didn't read the whole thing just saw that and replied
there's a lot of stupid picks in there
>>
>>520876
I don't think that guy is serious.
>>
>>520883
probably not but I just want to express my disdain for idea of flooding the game with shitty native tribes
>>
>>520470
we did it slav bros
>>
>AOE 3 gets based America for free and a new continent of civs for the next xpac
>AOE 4's Delhi Sultanate is literally all the best parts of AOE2's various middle eastern civs in one civ, Chinese dynasties seem neat, every revealed civ bonus is broken as hell like Delhi getting free tech and British vils doubling as archers
>AOE 2 got...more sameface european civs
Can you faggy yuropoors stop crying about your heritage getting umbrella'd into another civ so we can start having actually interesting civs again?
Newsflash: If your culture got umbrella'd into another civ in-game it's because it wasn't cool enough to be its own civ to begin with. Fuck off and stop begging them for it or you're just gonna end up with more bottom 2 derivatives like Sicilians.
Instead every popularity poll is assaulted by butthurt poles and other yuropoors that don't even have PCs good enough to escape voobly and play the DE civs in the first place.

Fuck europeans and their pearl clutching to their faggy legacies you're ruining DE's additions
>>
>>520964

When people think of the middle ages, they don't think of some random niggers in America, Africa or central Asia. They think of Europe. This game is called Age of Empires, not Age of mudhut ooga booga tribes.
>>
>>520991
And yet the Vikings were on the cover of the original release.
>>
>>520991
Maybe westerners do. Non westerners also play video games.
>>
>>520991
Anon former Ensemble devs confirmed that if they had been allowed to make another expac to 2 back in the day they would have gone with their own version of African Kingdoms. 4-5 purely african civs, no portugal for token whiteness.

The series is history wank. Not eurowank.
>>
>>520995
Because they became some of the most based conquerors of all Europe
>>
>>520964
Newsflash: If your culture isn't in the game at all it's because it wasn't cool enough to be its own civ to begin with.
>>
>>521082
See that doesn't work because designing a whole new architecture style, especially with the realistic crumbling, is incredibly expensive.

If you weren't good enough to be given a single wonder and a single unique unit for your pallete swap tier culture by now you aren't cool enough to be in the game. Full stop.
>>
>>521080
>Mudhut degenerates with good boats
Wow literally Polynesian tier. Bravo europefags.
>>
>>521095
>pallete swap tier culture
Thankfully there's a limited amount of african "civs".
>>
>>521100
And still infinitely more relevant than the palette swap shitskins that the one autist keeps screeching about in these threads.
>>
>>521100
>Became dukes of Normandy, kings of the Rus, royal guard of the Byzantines, sacked Khazars, Arabs, Britons, French, Irish, Scottish and Byzantine lands. Not to mention their norman descendants became kings of England and Sicily, dukes of Antioch and Naples.
Don't get me wrong, I respect the Polynesians for conquering the Pacific. But the Vikings weren't mere mudhut degenerates on the long run. NOW THE HUNS ON THE OTHER HAND
>>
>>521095
So all you're saying is that your meme civs weren't even worth the expense of putting into the game in the first place.
>>
>>521112
Just because you win some fights doesn't mean you aren't exactly mudhut degenerates, vikings dropping castles left and right is as unrealistic as Malay doing it
>>
>>510072
When console port?
>>
>>521129
>as unrealistic as Malay doing it
So... not unrealistic?
>>
>>521011
>4-5 purely african civs
4 north african civs would be too much
>>
>>513873
Literally no one in Japan plays Civ games
>>
>>520964
What does the USA civ mean for the Revolution mechanic?
>>
>>522413
It could mean that they will either change in the long term or that the civs born out of the revolutions will become playable on the future (similar to what Wars of Liberty did, but it's unlikely).
I really doubt that the US will have a revolution mechanic for an obvious ""reason" but if they do then I'm going to be impressed.
>>
>>510257
>Bostonians
>Kosovo-Albanians
What in the hell?
>>
>>519602
Cock and ball torture
>>
>>520995
because ES literally used kids history books as source material and they thought that vikings were cool, and they still named them vikings,
>>
>>517195
theyre literally just malay with oils, if brunei faction could exist(by your term) so a javanese faction could exist as well
>>
>>521004
Yeah the Vietkong play age 1 so much because its just filled to the brim with Asianx representerinos, amirite?
>>
>>521129
So we should can Mongols aswell? They just won some random battles agains China and the Persians after all.
>>
>>522658
What the fuck is this post even trying to convey?
>>
Mississippibros... I don't feel too well
>>
I'm losing my shit. This is not alright. It can't be. Are the devs mad?
>>
>>522654
Ok man.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.