[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 19 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Spellforce: Order.jpg (26 KB, 220x308)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
This is the only RTS I've been able to play in recent memory. It's heavily flawed but what it does right it really does right
>Supremely comfy 3d visual and music
>Each level usually unlocks a new unit or building, always something to look forward to
>Every level is a massive uphill battle and the game/story hypes it up as such too
Everything else like the 6 races and being able to customize your hero was icing on the cake. Every other RTS I played I end up dropping a few in minutes but despite being heavily flawed this one stuck. I can't even put my finger on why it feels so comfy compared to other RTS'.
>>
Yes I know it's a WC3 clone.
>>
>>506287
I love Spellforce 1. It's a very deep RTS.
You have six asymmetric races, and you can control multiple races at once. Layered on top of this is a complex RPG system. You can build your hero into an indestructible tank, a necromancer that summons dozens of units, a cleric that stacks powerful buffs on nearby units, an assassin that oneshots enemy heroes, ect.
Spellforce 2 & 3 are a lot more balanced, but at the cost of being significantly dumbed down.

The story and setting were pretty insane too, which is another reason why I dislike Spellforce 3. The developers seemed intent on making the world as generic as possible.
>>
>>506332
Another brilliant thing about Spellforce 1 was the free game mode. It's an online mode where you create a character and team up with other players to do quests and skirmishes, earning experience, loot, and upgrades in the process. Spellforce 2 expanded the mode to be almost like an MMO.
Spellforce 3 removed free game mode, because the developers wanted to focus all of their effort on competitive multiplayer. Super fucking lame.
>>
>>506343
Developers need to stop chasing esports audiences and let it happen organically
>>
>>506287
played it "long" time, and wasn't even able to finish the main-campaign (cause, reasons, I guess)
but yeah, it was a great genre-mix, despite having some flaws, like the enemy doesn't build proper bases, and such (I heard it was fixed in the sequel)

also, I heard they scrapped some stuff, like that your buildings would be permanent, even if you change your location

either way, should go back to it, and maybe check out the sequel too

>>506293
I guess you only played the third game
where I only played the demo, and I was thinking, nah, this isn't Spellforce...
>>
File: Sf1.jpg (357 KB, 1920x1080)
357 KB
357 KB JPG
>>506344
> I heard they scrapped some stuff, like that your buildings would be permanent, even if you change your location
That was only in Spellforce 2, but I liked that feature a lot.
While I'm ranting about ways Spellforce 3 fucked up, I hate that they removed the third person camera.
>>
>>506350
I didn't even notice it was removed because I only used it once or twice in 1.
>>
File: 6110375.jpg (19 KB, 400x221)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>506346
>played it "long" time, and wasn't even able to finish the main-campaign (cause, reasons, I guess)
The game goes to shit really late into the campaign. The AI already cheats like hell but then the uphill battles just get stupidly tipped over. Pic related I remember being one of the most cancerous missions but there are a handful more afterwards that are basically impossible to do without cheesing.
>Start with shitty orcs
>Have basically no resources at all and they come back at such a slow rate you might as well consider them 1-time use
>OP demons with AOE ATTACKS that can wipe out your entire army spawn indefinitely and increase in unit count as time progresses
>Even more OP demons perched on cliffs to do a massive rain of fire AOE attack that is the width of the entire map
This whole map was like crawling through Satan's anus. I don't think there's even a way to beat it without cheesing. I beat it by having my hero bait out the enemy AOE attacks and heal himself up, because the demons 1-shot all my units so healing didn't do shit then making my entire army of shamans single dump their ranged beam spell on one unit at a time. It was so fucking loud it would clip and sounded like an explosion everytime it happened. The rest of the game is like this.

The first expansion I went necromancer and had to cheese just as hard for a few missions, because they basically don't give you any turrets at all for most of that mission. So the never ending overpowered AI units would always steamroll if I didn't abuse the shit out of something like Dark Elf necromancers spawning zombie goblins that can do all the fighting for them while they hide. I was able to beat the OC, the first expansion, but by the second expansion I was done. Maybe I'll pick it up one of these days.
>>
>>506365
>I didn't even notice it was removed
>because I only used it once or twice in 1
spotted the zoomer
it is forced on you in npc dialogue
>>
>>507687
Because the camera mode used for NPC dialogue had such a massive impact on the game.
>>
>>506287
>uphill battle
All you have to do is just kill the points before building a base, the uphill battle is overcompensating for poor AI management. The comfyness comes from you literally making a town and being able to plop yourself down and walk right through it as the workers do their thing. It ends once you move past Humans cause the other races (except Orcs) with buildings that looked far too gimmicky and alien to look like a proper village or town. Then you got the Orcs, the exact moment they show up the AI goes from reasonable to pure bullshit, you have to clear the map solo to shore up a winning chance just because your armies suck too much after that point.
\
I will say though I now appreciate how strange RTS bases look like when you go in third person and see this big fucking building plopped down in the middle of the road and how strange an entire wall of towers looks like with all of them facing the exact same direction.
>>
>>510313
>All you have to do is just kill the points before building a base
Yeah I knew about that trick but it's kinda cheating.
>It ends once you move past Humans cause the other races (except Orcs) with buildings that looked far too gimmicky and alien to look like a proper village or town
I found the Dark Elves comfy. The Orcs and Trolls have basically no resources at all, so building their shit was always more annoying than not because if you fucked around too long the AI would burn through your resources. Felt like Resident Evil in a way.
>Then you got the Orcs, the exact moment they show up the AI goes from reasonable to pure bullshit, you have to clear the map solo to shore up a winning chance just because your armies suck too much after that point.
Yeah I mentioned that earlier >>506728 . I was able to cheese it with an army of Shamans nuking enemies at the same time and straight up deleting them.
>>
>>506287
If i want to get into the second one is the anniversary edition the way to go? Mostly interested in the singleplayer campaign?
>>
post dark elves
>>
>>510642
...why? All of them are dudes.
What you want is regular elves.
>>
>>510538
You can't really go wrong with it. Anniversary Edition is fine.
>>
File: DEunits.gif (33 KB, 470x192)
33 KB
33 KB GIF
>>510642
The designs were so good
>>
>>510714
they're so good that I cannot decide whether they're generic fantasy-esque-edgy baddies or actually brilliant
>>
>>510716
Spellforce was a mix. It was mostly super generic but comfy like Oblivion, but then they would throw out random oddball designs at you. I remember keeping the mage with the animal skull on his head in this concept art for the entire campaign, not because he was good, but because I liked his design.

>>510714
The Dark Elf necromancers looked really cool.
>>
>>510649
Give me dudes then, as long as dark elves.
>>510714
Fairly good.
>>
File: 4322.jpg (586 KB, 1920x1080)
586 KB
586 KB JPG
>>
File: 4321.jpg (121 KB, 1024x576)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>510848
>>
>>506293
Have you played it?
>>
so get spellforce 1 first?
>>
>>510994
first or only. It's your choice. The newer the worse.
>>
>>510848
The big thing I remember is the trolls being the last race you get and they were so god damn expensive + had bad resource farming abilities you couldn't really do anything with them. Didn't help that all the evil factions also had horrible resource farming aside from maybe the Dark Elves. Was a major let down.
>>
>>510994
Horrible voice over, best RPG experience and intuitive invention of a sweet love between RPG and RTS.
>>
>>511194
>The newer the worse
SF3 is great, boomer.
>>
>>513972
Like the only thing that is majorly bad about SF3 is that the writers didn't read the lore of SF1 and 2 and the story doesn't fit into it. The story itself is decent even.
>>
>>513972
Not him but I was looking forward to SF3. I think what ultimately turned me off was the fact the thing I enjoyed in Spellforce 1 the most was slowly unlocking more shit each mission and gradually seeing more of the game. SF3 kinda looks like it doesn't really add anything.

Another big gripe I had, which it looks like they fixed, was how brown and desaturated the game looked initially. I guess they got a ton of feedback on this. When I look at screenshots now it's way more colorful than I remember. Originally it was like the entire game was in a desert with how brown it was.
>>
>>514128
>SF3 kinda looks like it doesn't really add anything.
Even worse, it took away. No free game mode, no third person camera, no race mixing, simplified RPG mechanics.
Vanilla SF3 only has three races, and there is almost no distinction in how they play. The expansions have rectified this at least.
>>
>>514439
>no race mixing
oy vey
>>
>>514439
>no race mixing
I hate you Germans so much

>>514128
none of these are true. the game has not been updated visually so it always looked as good as it does now. there's also plenty of unlocks throughout the campaign, for both your heroes as well as your armies. did you even play the game, anon?
>>
>>506332
I tried spellforce 2 and the thing that bothered me was the fact it felt too disconnected from the first game it felt like a different world.
I also hated the simplified character sheet.

On the other hand I remember spellforce 1 having a retarded difficulty curve when you end up with soldier having 10 level less than the basic mob
>>
>>517158
Like I said I was going off the footage they were teasing before it's actual release. I think there was a demo too but I didn't check. 99% of the footage that time was brown, so they must've changed it on release from feedback. I haven't paid attention to the game since then.

>there's also plenty of unlocks throughout the campaign, for both your heroes as well as your armies
I might actually try it if that's the case. It better not be like 3 unlocks each across the whole campaign or some half-assed shit, though.
>>
>>517354
Give Dragon Storm a chance. The plot is less disconnected from the original.
>>
https://steamcommunity.com/app/39540/discussions/0/3172198151256145016/

Patch out of beta
>>
>>521148
Respect to THQ for patching a niche game from 2003. I wish every publisher cared as much about their old properties.
>>
>>521230
Shame I was on the end of playing through all three campaigns before it hit. Least it's there for free game mode and any future playthroughs
>>
>>521148
>CAMPAIGN GAME MODE
>- Fixed a bug which caused Fog of War to not restore on game load. This retroactively fixes all saves made on previous versions of the game.
Holy fuck. That is the only bug I noticed because it was so god damn annoying. Reloading your save to lose all your uncovered terrain.
>>
>>521148
to add to this, spellforce franchise is the weekend deal. $43 for the entire franchise, anons
>>
>>521614
>Spellforce Platinum Edition - $2
>Spellforce 2 Anniversary Edition - $3
>Spellforce 3: Soul Harvest - $8
This is the best bang for your buck, although I think Fallen God is better than Soul Harvest.
>>
>>521814
I just got the franchise bundle. Even if there's some crap in there, I like having the full series and soundtracks.
>>
>>506287
Any game with a similar art style in that era of graphics? Best I can think of is dungeon siege.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.