[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>arguably one of the worst games in the series
>absolutely incredible soundtrack
How?
>>
Wtf are you smoking? HoMM4 is the third best game in the series.
>>
>arguably
please argue your case
>>
>>505430
>How?
Paul Romero. And even tho he got so little funds to make H4 soundtrack (H4 overall had small budget) that he had to use free sample music and ask his friends and boyfriend to work for him for free to get the thing together. All that saxophone in the tracks is his bf playing in the bathroom.
>>
>>505445
>>505449
I love HoMM4 but every time i bring it up people just call it shit
>>
>>505452
Based hommos
>>
>>505455
People just call it shit because they're either obsessed with 3 or underage /v/irgins who haven't played it and just parrot what they've been told.

It's definitely worse than 3 but it's not shit.
>>
>>505452
Speaking of the saxophone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNz026pZP84
Paul Romero even left a couple comments under this video.
>>
>>505430
paul romero is a kino factory. fucking opera singers in like 1995 for heroes 2, obviously heroes 3 is a masterpiece. might and magic 6, 7, 8. hes a god
>>
>>505445
the graphics except ui and some sprites are just disgusting
>>
>>505479
>CHAD Anthony SWOLEMERO
>ft. Dr. Brock "The Cock" Summers
>>
>>505430
it's not the worst, it's not even bad, it's easily top2 or top3 and the one I genuinely enjoy the most. But objectively HoMM3 is better.
>>
>>505430
It's not the best Heroes game, but calling it the worst is an unjust thing to say.
>>
>>505430
>2021
>Zoomer who is younger than HoMM4 comes to lecture us how bad it is
You realise your meme is literally older than you?
>>
>>505826
Still has terrible unit variance due to the exclusive path bullshit, hero classes will likely never be properly balanced no matter how hard the Equilibris team tries, and the way simulcombat is implemented was half-baked (also, I wish Equilibris removed the Berserker trait, it's absolutely garbage in a simulcombat game).
>>
>>505430
>worst
I see you never played Heroes 6-7 yet.
>>
People like it because they played it when they were young but it's insanely half-baked and poorly thought out in a hundred small ways. Getting used to some of its bullshit definitely takes time and it's not a game I like to revisit.
>>
>>505430
It's pretty bad for multiplayer, but it also has some of the best singleplayer campaigns in the franchise so it's worth it just for that. Hell, the Half-Dead campaign alone is worth the price of admission.
>>
>>506711
This is some high-tier revisionism, given that majority of people who hate it played it only when they were young and never revisited since, bitching to this day how it wasn't like 3, so it was horrid.

>>506932
is Pirate's Daughter a joke to you?
>>
>>506932
>It's pretty bad for multiplayer,
Who cares?
>>
>>506939
Pirate's Daughter is artificially lenghtened due to the embark/disembark mechanic.
>>
>>506939
>bitching to this day how it wasn't like 3
Who cares if it was like 3 or not, it's just not a good game on its own, you're not a special snowflake just because you like to go against the grain. I could list some of the ways in which 4 was bad but you'd probably just go "lalala you just like 3"
>>
>>505452
>...boyfriend...
OH NOEZ ! ! !
>>
>>505452
It is rumored that he fucked up his bathroom tiles due to having to glue cheap-ass anechoic foam to them (in order to convert the bathroom to an ad-hoc recording stage).
>>
>>507039
Man, this is some high-tier schizo posting
>>
>>505455
>people just call it shit
same with HoMM3 it's just parroting
HoMM 2 improved the game overall while HoMM3 is just refinement culture
switching around units willy nilly, destroying the overall theme of the castles etc.
they continued this bullshit in HoMM4 because they didn't know what else to do with the series
not bad games on their own but they are cleary bad HoMM games and further refinement after 2 was not needed
Ubishit was the final bullet for the series where units on the battlefield turned into microscopic little shits
>>
File: FfHTitleklein[1].jpg (57 KB, 640x469)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Quick, which version of Wise Tail a best?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX96pCm3Rnc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KevmywHSf1I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9J7uJ2YTn4

For me, it's the anime but I love them all.
>>
>>505455
HoMM4 was first Heroes game I ever played so I didn't have any expectations or previous reference to compare it to. I fell in love with the game and the atmosphere while my friends, whom had played Heroes 3, called it shit. I developed thick nostalgia goggles for 4.
>>
given that 3DO was near bankrupt and JVC was busy racing cars all day, 4 turned out not half bad. Of course 3 basically perfected the formula but like some other anon said some of the campaigns are really memorable. It doesn't have the lasting power of 2 or 3 though, and the MM9 style UI is nauseating.
>>
>>506939
I played all the homm games as they came out from 2, except 4. Then I tried homm 4 literally for the first time this week and the most outrageous part of it to me is the battle field and how much shit they throw on it. I find it impossible to tell if a unit can walk through a gap somewhere or not, even when I put the grid on. The size of units feels really off too, like to walk around a unit in your way takes half of your movement. I’m still gonna persist and at least finish the campaigns because everyone says they are the redeeming feature of 4, but holy fuck I’m not enjoying the combat so far.
>>
>>507683
>switching around units willy nilly, destroying the overall theme of the castles etc.
And they call me schizo
>>
>>507951
>given that 3DO was near bankrupt
It was bankrupt when 3 came out. Literally the only reason they didn't go under was 3's money.
I'm still salty NWC was bought by 3DO as "let's get some random studio" when they were already bouncing checks and then squeezed like a lemon solely for the purpose of bouncing few more checks.
>>
>>507958
If those are your complains about 4, then I'm fucking speechless.
>>
>>508119
As I said, I just started playing it. Will probably have more to say later. But my first thought about it is that the combat is very different to the other games and it feels janky as hell.
>>
>>508362
And my point is that it's probably the least of issues of the game and once you get hang of it, you can easily manage. There are legitimate issues with the game (like AI pathfinding) and then there are semi-issues (like what you described) that can be simply overcome by the proper "feel" of it. THEN there are non-issues that all boil down to "it's not like 3", that persist to this day, perpetuated like a dead-horse meme by people who usually never even played 4 at all, but heard the story
>>
>>508470
I guess i’ll see what you mean soon enough, but for now the path finding isn’t a problem for me. If it doesn’t take me the way I want to go I just force the hero to move in smaller segments. But another thing I noticed that pisses me off in combat is the field isn’t totally flat. So it just makes it more annoying to figure out how far you are gonna reach on the next turn. As you say, I guess i’ll get the ‘feel’ for it, but I understand why a lot of people get a bad impression of the game and stop playing. The combat just doesn’t fit the mould of a homm game.
>>
>>505469
i see what you did there.
>>
>>508532
I meant the AI-controlled heroes and units. There is a spaghetti code for pathfinding when AI moves over the map, which leads to three distinctive problems. One of them is doing a literal three-step loop. It triggers semi-randomly, but once it does, short from attacking that specific army, it will keep looping. It's the worst thing that can happen in 4 in general.
>>
>>508119
Yeah gonna have to agree with the other anon. Combat in 4 was pretty bad. The way the implemented the heroes also felt pretty bad.
>>
>>508590
>HEROES of Might and Magic
>Heroes are finally part of the army and active combatant
>HURR NOT LIKE 3 DURR
... what did I said?
>>
>>505430
homm4 is a great game
ost is godlike
>>
>>508606
He didn’t even mention heroes 3, spaz. I like the direction they took the heroes in but it’s far from perfect. For starters - each faction has two kinds of heroes to pick with no difference between the heroes except their portrait. For example, if I want to play chaos I have to either start with a thief or a sorcerer, why can’t I pick a combat based hero from the chaos faction? They are full of Minotaurs and orcs for fuck sakes. It’s like this for every faction too, you get shoehorned into a specific class type and there is virtually 0 chance to make something unique because the skill choices are much narrower and you never get a chance to pick a skill that’s not typical of your hero. In short, no hero specialities is a big fail, having only two types of heroes to pick from for each faction is a huge fail and not giving the opportunity to pick up skills not typical to your class is a mega fail.
>>
>>505475
HoMM IV went after Warlords and HoMMbabies didn't like it.
>>
>>513648
have you played warlords TBS series? personally is not fun. boring, no combat maps. is like auto combat all the way. mashing stacks against stacks isn't very fun for to me
>>
>>513627
Nta, but the problem with HoMM4 is three fold:
- great concepts that never had enough time to be fully play-tested
- trying to merge with MM series without enough time to be fully play-tested
- running out of time for development
I'm lenient to it from day 1, because I always loved the campaigns from it and had no problem with the game itself (in fact, it looked fine in my book when it came out). Then I've learned about all the shit NWC went through in development and by now it's pretty much "it's a fantastic game even in its half-made state, shame it never got finished".
As for your complain about skills and heroes in general: you can't pick skills that are outside of your class and "neighbouring" ones, the same way that you can't pick magic outside neighbouring schools to your native.
>>
>>505430
I like the dynamic class system.
The models are a pile of shit tho.
>>
>>513880
Depends on model
>>
>>507951
>JVC was busy racing cars all day
SHAME. SHAME ON THE HOUSE OF JVC FOR SUCH BARBARITY.
>>
>>513813
Yeah I understand 3DO didn’t get the time they needed, and I’m also dropping my expectations from previous homm games. But still, I’m really pissed I can’t seem to make a Fireguard without picking a chaos sorcerer first. I was hoping barbarians might be able to get some chaos magic but it never came up in 30 levels. But nature magic came up a bunch of times. So now I gotta pick some limp-wristed mage. I guess I could pick a thief or whatever, but then I don’t even start with combat or chaos magic and he still doesn’t look like a badass warrior.
>>
>>515213
>Yeah I understand 3DO didn’t get the time they needed
3DO was the publisher and the reason why the game is so shit. They had nothing to do with the development of the game beyond forcing NWC to deliver an unfinished game for the sake of being incompetent company with extremely bad management trying to postpone own bankrupcy, despite it being impossible to get away with it.
>>
>>515213
You just gotta use map teachers anon. combat is taught in many places: beastmaster huts, war universities, seminaries in life towns, altars of combat. It's not perfectly consistent but on most decent sized maps it shouldn't be too hard to make a ranger or fireguard. Also any non-magic hero should be likely to get offered basic combat fairly early.
>>
>>518224
He wants the opposite tho, for a Barbarian to learn Chaos Magic.
>>
>>519558
But that's extremely hard, due to weighted skill pools. Barbs only get something like a 10% chance of a magic skill on level up.
I think picking up one of those magic secondary skill boosters teaches you the basic magic skill if you don't already have it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.