[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mangonel.png (129 KB, 256x256)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
What is the most fun strategy, and why is it Hoang Rush?
>>
What is the best way to scout at the beginning?
>>
>>488164
do circles around your tc to find your boar and sheep, and once you have a feel for your home base (ie knowing what needs walls) you start looking for your opponent.
>>
>>488164
my approach is, once I queued 2 vills and placed two houses I make a large circle with my scout around my base using way points. I make it very large in purpose, so there is a black area remaining around the tc to explore with two sheep. with sheep always use a few waypoints and the last waypoint is back to the tc, this way you don't forget them in the middle of nowhere for your opponent to find
>>
>>488164
Just watch any pro player stream and do what they do.
>>
I like Lithuania
>>
>>488784
I don't. The relic bonus is stupid.
>>
>>488819
The relic bonus is cool and interesting. The starting with 150 extra food bonus is lazy, boring, uncreative and too good. Hill forts is shit too.
>>
>>488819
the relic bonus would be fine if it wasn’t guaranteed to give them +4 on team games
>>
>>488164
Circles outward from your TC, if you can manage your scout vills and TC production all at once scout with one of your starting sheep as well; once you've found 8 sheep and 2 pigs, and found a good place to wall depending on the map, go out in a triangle to scout the far side of the map from left to right, 90% of the time your opponent will be along this line, scout his base and avoid the TC if he's human and any good, then you can auto scout or manually start filling in the middle of the map (where most fighting will be) and looking for relics. Remember that the earlier in the game you are the more important your timing is, even a few seconds of TC idle time in Dark Age will have a big butterfly effect by the end of the game if you and your opponent are close in skill level, so it's more important that you can balance between your scouting and eco management than it is to scout the most efficiently.
>>
>>489331
And to keep discussion going, I want to try another campaign. I've played all the AoK/Conquerors campaigns, and the Tatars. What are some fun ones in the new expansions? Has DE made the Forgotten campaigns less janky?
>>
>>489337
Grand Dukes of the West or Hautevilles
>>
File: 795.jpg (21 KB, 300x345)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>489337
Today's update fixed the previously unplayable Dracula campaign for me, don't know about the other campaigns but I assume they were fixed too.
>>
>>489337
Cuman campaign was really good. Really feels like constantly fleeing from an unstoppable horde.
>>
>>488164

just waypoint with shift+right click
>>
>>488085
>Age of Empires
>fun
>>
>>489849
>t. not Alberto Barbossa
>>
>>488164

Click auto explore
>>
>>489337
all of the newest campaigns are good, especially Kotyan, Ivaylo, and Tamerlane. for Forgotten Empires, its Alaric and Bari, used to be Sforza, but they changed the script heavy, mostly limited units HD version to the usual "build-and-destroy" formula found in other campaign,
>>
>>490103
i use this after i scout all of my surrounding area(8 sheep, 2 boars, berries, deer patches, all starting gold+stones), but then again sometimes it malfunction and still goes to already explored areas, so manual scouting or shift click scouting are more useful
>>
>>490273
Is it true that the indian campaign is bad?
>>
>>490103
why don't we just auto play as well?
>>
>play Arena
>enemy reaches Castle Age
>builds a castle right next to my walls
Fuck you if you do this.
>>
>>491250
Seethe boomer
>>
File: BULGARsyourpath.png (499 KB, 450x450)
499 KB
499 KB PNG
>Bulgarians Krepost push
>M@Arms line + knights slowly pushing the enemy out of their own base
>literally unstoppable
I've won 9 games in a row with this
>>
>>490719
In HD some scenario are quite janky especially the obligatory stealth mission but definitely not too bad in DE.
The fourth mission is a bit underwhelming though. It baits you into thinking it's a DM game when actually it's a treb sniping simulator.
>>
>>488085
You can't pull it off, stop larping
>>
>>491881
I see, sounds like it's an improvement from its HD version.
>>
File: malay.png (285 KB, 512x375)
285 KB
285 KB PNG
I have purchased Lords of the West AMA
>>
>>492018
Are you winning son?
>>
>>492122
Yes! My current strat is not to pick the new civs.
>>
>>492159
Nice
>>
>>491312
It's just an incredibly lame anti-fun tactic, like the Persian TC.
>>
>>491250
literally just go around it lol
>>
Anyone else find the new boar sort of lame? One hit to follow is fine, but idling under TC for a while after garrison makes no sense and looks stupid. Wannabe comp shitters should learn to manage their sheep or cope with wasting 5 food, at this point it's just a sheep that needs a vill to lure it. Why not just remove it and add more sheep for max meta efficiency if you're going to make it behave like a docile herd animal queued up under TC waiting in line to be butchered?
>>488164
Circles until you get sheep and both boar, then set a few waypoints where you think the enemy might be, and them just auto scout unless you need specific intel
Fuck the meta police, auto scout improves dark age eco precision and you can just take over again in feudal when you need current info on the enemy
>>
>>491017

> AoE2 pros complaining about auto scout
> Rise of Nations players with auto scout on every unit, auto queue on every production building and auto anti-idle by default

I mean, it'd be interesting not to play
>>
File: 1585164292169.jpg (23 KB, 488x463)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>488085
I've played AOEII since it first came out, and only now am I realising that the sack of rocks at the front of a mangonel was ammunition storage. I had always assumed it was some sort of counterweight for the throwing arm.
Holy fuck I'm retarded.
>>
>>489337
nothing wrong with old forgotten campaign. I recommend Macbeth and Tamerlane campaigns from aokheaven, they are the peak of build and destroy.
>>
>>488164
Once you find your starting resources, find your opponent and then watch what he's doing.
>>488784
Based, but I'm a Tatars man myself.
>>
>>488164
smash that mf "lame enemy sheep" button. You're going to scout by dragging food from the enemy base to your tc.
>>
Why should you ever research siege onagers? It costs a ton of resources, and it already does 50 damage, which is insane.
>>
>>495798
to dab on regular onagers
>>
Would you say generic Eagles are a good counter to knights?
>>
>>494055
>nothing wrong with old forgotten campaign
Eldorado fucking SUCKED. Gimmicky semi-RPG style of grabbing a few hero units and following a path or exploring the map for pointers with mini quests so you'd get more resources or units.
It took it way too far and was super hanky with broken triggers on HD.
The new Maya campaign may be a bit bland but it's vastly superior.
>>
SHIT i JUST WATCHED THE HIDDEN CUP FINAL.
fUCK vIPER
>>
>>495846
no, they definitely are not.
A. they aren't so fast, so knights still get to pick a lot of engagements on open maps and take hills.
B. they have lower HP per unit, which means when massed the eagles start to die first- this means the damage you can do starts to decline far faster.
Imagine a ram, it does full damage until it's at 1HP- but 20 militia start doing reduced damage as soon as the first one dies, when you only have one militia you will barely be doing any damage while the ram is still doing full damage
C. knights get scouts mixed in very quickly, if you add pikes you loose all your mobility- while eagles trade well against scouts purecomp the scouts present an issue when your opponent can reinforce because you will bleed gold
D. eagles can struggle when knights scatter, this is somewhat counter-intuitive but it's because the knights will get more 1v1 engagements
>>
>>495798
To actually one shot tankier units like heavy cav archers. 25 more damage is no joke, also a bit more health and armor is actually pretty huge in getting another shot in. Also onagers are super expensive so getting more value out of each one is a big deal.
>>495846
No, knights shit on eagles hard. Eagles are pretty much only good against trash and archers
>>
>>495798
Onagers eat town centers and deny castles because they hit all the villagers at once.
Onagers wreck scorpions which are too slow to micro and cost a ton of gold.
Onagers wreck rams, and this makes the onager vital for defending walls- if your opponent is upgrading rams
Onagers can wreck monks which are slow, cost a ton of gold and are defenseless until upgrades come in

In pro games what you often see is garrisoned onagers used to snipe incoming armies- it's very hard to stop because what are you going to knock down the seigeworshop with that the onager won't pop out and wreck?

In mid level you see them wreck mixed comp armies, because mixed comp can't micro ranged and probably doesn't have enough cavalry to just go in- the onager works here because it hits all unit types at once no matter which one is selected.

One reason you get upgrades generally is because your opponent won't know in advance, and this can cause them to misjudge an engagement. Say you have three onagers defending a castle from pike/ram- your opponent could actually rush you with garrisoned rams- but if while those rams are attacking if seige onager comes in you might flatten all the rams and the caste would take out the pikes- decisive victory
>>493260
It really just depends how much micro you like- without these features many people find the game becomes a hotkey fest.
If there is no idle villager button, when you have 100 villagers searching for idles seems frustrating and pointless.
>>491250
You're being punished for not having military or going defensive archers.
How do you not see a castle drop coming? what would 10 enemy villagers be doing walking to your base?
Did you try to counter-tower to deny the castle? It's often worth it just to get villager kills and if you see the villagers coming you can tower first, while this might seem like a waste of resources the tower is useful and they are idling a ton of villagers
>>
>>495853
I like those kind of maps. I have played AoE2 for more than 15 years, me and most of the lads making custom campaigns were bored of standard build and destroy, and forgotten campaigns are basically unofficial campaigns made by fellow autists a long time ago.
Some of them were fairly bugged but it's a shame they didnt try to fix them.
Personally, I really liked El Dorado.
>>
>>495870
>Eagles are pretty much only good against trash and archers
And siege and monks and camels
>>
>>495884
It's still lame as fuck. 10 villagers can build a castle very fast. You only have so much LOS. There's no fun in rushing like this.
>>
>>495884
Who the fuck would pike ram rush a nigga thats fully boomed at 50 minutes into the game
>>
>>495915
Scout the map homie. A slow castle time hints at castle drop as well because they need to send vills to stone.
>>
>>495921
Even if it's preventable doesn't mean it's not stupid. I'm not gonna preemptively build palisades around my boars either to avoid boar laming.
>>
>>495915
But you have layers anon, this isn't something that just happens.
A. your opponent has to mine a ton of stone and/or get a market, that's a general sign and as >>495915 says slow castle time is common.
B. a ton of villagers go forward, very hard to miss. You would have to be pretty badly boxed in your walls for this to happen.
C. you would have to have no military that could deny the castle, so no only would your opponent have to have the handicap of mining stone their army size/comp would have to beat yours in the open.
D. you wouldn't have to fail a counter-tower

And even then, you still have defensive options.
You can build a defensive castle and start a treb war- the wall helps you there.
Or you can try to build out around the castle withe seige.
None of these are good options, but they are options
>>
File: aoe2.png (568 KB, 1500x1500)
568 KB
568 KB PNG
If anyone has any drawfag requests I may or may not do them.
>>
>>496031
That's great anon
>>
>>495798
>Why should you ever research siege onagers? It costs a ton of resources
It doesn't
>t. Bulgarian
>>
>>496031
Nice
>>
>>491250
>>492478
You suck, you can easily defend from a castle drop just by having a few feudal units before he reaches Castle Age
>>
>>496238
>You suck
Thanks
>>
File: 1609090836265.png (168 KB, 370x634)
168 KB
168 KB PNG
>>496031
Teutonic Knight swagging across the field, like this.
>>
>>496259
I know you're aware of this, so I'm beating a horse, but come on man, it aint that hard to defend from a castle drop on arena.
Just have a bunch of archers, MAAs or scouts out in the field.
>>
>>496282
>just neglect you're economy and buy soldiers bro
>>
>>496291
You know what's worse than having a slightly delayed castle age time? Having a fucking castle drop in your wall then having multiple units fucking up your town.
Arena castle drops are meant to punish passive booming players, if you remain passive you will fucking die. If you dont want to die, you better react accordingly, even if it means delaying your economy a little.
>>
>>496031
Can you draw some team game players screaming at each other over losing the game etc
>>
>>496382
have an oldie
>>
>>495919
Who wouldn't? Pikes are trash units, save your gold and take down a castle if you throw in a few knights and they don't have onagers
>>
I wish they'd stop breaking this game every month.
>>
>>496460
What happened now?
>>
>>488085
Which team unit is the most beneficial in general?
Genitours (Berbers)
Condottieri (Italians)
or Elite Skirmisher (Vietnamese)?
>>
>>496718
for long post-imp games, Imperial Skrim with certain civ matchups becomes unbeatable
Otherwise the rest of the units are mostly situational, and rarely are game deciding
>>
>>496718
condos easily, gives civs with bad gold melee infantry a solid option, genitours are too circumstanstial and imp skirm upgrade is too expensive unless you have no other option
>>
Dark Age somehow irritates me while putting me to sleep at the same time. Unless you're doing something extraordinarily weird, you're just mindlessly doing one of two builds regardless. It's just busywork getting in the way of scouting so you don't cripple your economy for the rest of the game.

Everyone still wants to just play on Arabia which means it will be the literal exact same build order over and over and over forever, and yet one player will nearly always get the advantage with better RNG on starting stuff. It's neither balanced nor varied enough to be interesting. "Green Arabia" manages to be even more boring yet still not going far enough to be actually balanced. Why don't "pros" just make an exactly symmetrical custom map to play on instead since they hate RNG?
Why don't more casual players explore other map gens and game modes more?
Why is it just constant Arabia Dark Ages over and over forever?
>>
>>496771
>Dark Age somehow irritates me while putting me to sleep at the same time. Unless you're doing something extraordinarily weird, you're just mindlessly doing one of two builds regardless. It's just busywork getting in the way of scouting so you don't cripple your economy for the rest of the game.
Play Empire Wars.
>Why don't "pros" just make an exactly symmetrical custom map to play on instead since they hate RNG?
Why not? All other RTS games have static, symmetrical maps. There's nothing wrong with RNG map generation.
>Why don't more casual players explore other map gens and game modes more?
Because they dont know they exist in the very first place.
>Why is it just constant Arabia Dark Ages over and over forever?
Stop playing Arabia then. Or play Deathmatch.
>>
>>496776
Maybe I should just play MegaRandom, don't know if anyone will join my matches though.
>>
>>496776
>Empire Wars
Not him but just looked this up, cool. I'll miss boars but this looks amazing.
>>
>>496782
Ranked Megarandom is pretty aight too
>>
>>496771
>muh dark age is boring
Easiest way to detect a shitter.
>one of two builds
There's like 8 or so viable openings on Arabia. Learn the game before you talk shit about ut.
>>
>>496875
>There's like 8 or so viable openings on Arabia.
While I agree that he was being retarded, the first 9 villagers always do the same thing. There is no strategy there and nothing interesting going on. It also puts me to sleep.
>>
>>496720
>with certain civ matchups
Most notably?
>>
>>496771
>>496776
Why are random map conquest and deathmatch the only game modes you can play ranked?

>>496875
Arrogant.
>>
>>496776
>Why not? All other RTS games have static, symmetrical maps.
Do they? I don't play any rts other than AoE (I mean multiplayer, others I usually do campaigns only). Does that mean maps in Starcraft for example already start explored? Sounds kinda boring.
>>
>black forest as pocket portuguese
>cozily just booming
>reach imperial
>start amassing organ guns
>research sappers for the YAZ KWEEN achievement because why not
>game just closes itself without warning, leaving 3 of my teammates without me forever
Thanks Microsoft, very cool!
>>
>>496914
AoE2, Starcraft, WC3 and Starcraft 2 are the 'biggest' RTS out there that I concider still relevant, and all of them except AoE2 has static, symmetrical map layouts.
Ensemble RTS, such AoE, AoE2, AoM and AoE3 have the quite literal standalone characteristic of RNG map generation.
>>
>>496900
>There is no strategy there
KEK. 90% of the game is decided in dark age when you choose how you will approach the match up. Only people who don't understand this are people who don't know HOW to strategize in advancd and just make reactions to their opponent 5 minutes after they do something.

2 minutes into an Arabia game you should already know how the game will be like at the 40 minute mark, but of course shitters can't analyze civ matchup and map gen so they waste these opening minutes and save their strategizing for when its too late.
>>
My favourite strat is to go fast feudal then hide my villagers all over the map and stone wall them in.

Most players will get bored and give up before finding all 30 villagers. I made it to 900 elo with this trick. You guys should try it.
>>
>>496291
Like I said before, you are basically being punished for being too greedy with your eco.
There are any number of things you can do to avoid this possition- but you have to do at least one of them
>forward army
>scouts on the field
>defensive archers
>counter tower
If you just sit behind walls you're going to get tower rushed or castle dropped
>>
>>496982
The higher you go the more stubborn players are.
You wont get far away, scrub.
>>
>>496979
You completely missed the point. All you talk about is related to scouting, I'm talking about the build order. If you started every game at the point you would be when your 9th villager has just come out (including resources gathered and map scouted) nothing would change compared to today in relation to strategic decisions. Even the stuff you talk about wouldn't change, you would have enough time with the map scouted before your 10th villager came out to decide your build based on what you see.
>>
>>496979
>90% of the game is decided in dark age
That's crap, you would have to fuck up pretty bad to throw in dark age.
>>496982
While on lower elo players with poor map awareness typically struggle with this kind of strat- but you are taking advantage of weak players not weak strategies.
As soon as you face stronger players you will be naked because your strats are trash.

If anyone with a low elo is wondering, the counter to the 500 elo nomad TC play is to.
A. tower/outpost all the golds because you have map control
B. force your opponent into a gold composition (typically you go man at arms)
C. send your wood vills to built outposts everywhere, doesn't matter if they die

Someone who is re-booming by building a bunch of TC's can be a pain- but regardless of how many TC's they build they can't take gold or stone.
They can make what? pikes, scouts, skirms? Archers won't help them until they are massed, and if they man at arms Vs. Man at arms they just loose on gold count.
>>
>>497021
>That's crap, you would have to fuck up pretty bad to throw in dark age.
What he means is shit like knowing you have to be aggressive if your resources are forward, knowing you can play defensive if you're easy to wall, knowing not to go for scouts if your berries are forward, this kinda thing. Which has nothing to do with the first 9 vils being the same in every build order.
>>
/vst/ niggas really be 900 elo but chimping out over the fact that the first 90 seconds of a game are functionally identical

Get your priorities in order lmfao
>>
>>497023
Well that's fair enough, but these things are of relative importance, and at the risk of seeming dismissive this isn't rocket surgery.
Forward golds mean you are venerable to feudal age aggression, forward stones are a bit more nuanced.

>>497048
Unless you TC drop :^)
>>
>>496875
>viable
Unless you're talking about civ-specific builds you're full of shit.
>>496900
I was not being retarded, I'm right.
>>496979
If that were even remotely true it would just be a bigger problem. 90% of the Dark Age is just deciding whether you make 21, 23, 27 villagers before clicking up and when you put more on wood.
>2 minutes into an Arabia game you should already know how the game will be like at the 40 minute mark
That would make the rest of the game boring. Why even play multiplayer if this is the case?
Why do scrub twinks constantly feel the need to pretend to be "pro" by saying literally any complaint about any game is just "because you're not good enough"? No one is going to be impressed.
>>496998
Let's be honest, unless you're doing some dumb Mongol ploy or something nothing before vill 16 really matters by the time you hit mid Feudal in 99% of matches.
>>496914
>>496977
I like the RNG element of maps, I actually wish it were more is what I mean.
>ahh bro nooo forward gold bro that suuucks etc
Yeah it's actually a big downstream gamechanger as far as placement is concerned, but hearing for instance T90 go on about it like it's the end of the match when all it actually means is someone will be building a tower is tiresome. All the "pros" hate any map that doesn't give them "good" resources, but it's weird because they all have to be adaptable and most gens that starve resources starve both players pretty equally. Sure some are much more swingy, but you can just not use them for comp play, it would just be nice if people branched out and used "tougher" gens since they're prepared to accept RNG in the first place.
>>496982
Congrats on your bait's modest success anon
>>497023
If you start in Empire Wars you can determine all of that in real time, same as your opponent who must do the same.
>>497048
ooga booga bix nood samefag
>>
Now let me stoke some more controversy with another hot take:
Maybe the "pros" would quit forgetting to take relics and ignoring Imperial until midgame if they turned on All victory conditions instead of this Conquest scrub shit the ladder always limits itself to.
Embrace what makes AoE what it is, change the ladder standard to MegaRandom on All with randomized civs. After all, you have the whole boring dark age to decide your strategy, that's more than enough time to figure out a counter to the opponent's civ with your own without premeditation.
>>
>>497070
The only thing I sort of agree with you that you didnt specify, is that now colours are tied to map positions.
I miss the times I could go green flank with some luck.
>>
>>497077
Yeah that's pretty AIDS honestly, don't even get the point either.
Explain to me the beauty of green flank, I have no idea why this would matter because I generally play with friend or foe colors and cope due to colorblindness.
Does it just blend in more because of extra trees on flank?
>>
>>497065
>Unless you're talking about civ-specific builds you're full of shit.
Scout rush
Tower rush
Man at arms
Archer rush
Drush flush
Prush flush
Drush fc
Prush fc

All different dark age build orders. This isn't even counting meme shit (which is still usable) like drush scouts, 2 rax eagles, spear skirm, or variations of mentioned builds like scouts towers, MAA towers
>>
>>497065
>90% of the Dark Age is just deciding whether you make 21, 23, 27 villagers before clicking up and when you put more on wood.

LMAOOOO yo this nigga is less than 1200 elo fr
>>
>>497092
No one fucking goes man at arms
The rest of those have nearly identical Dark Age builds
>>497095
Cease your pathetic ape screeching this moment, shitter
>>
>>497092
Prush and drush are same thing just with hunt and mill vills swapped

Drush scouts is legit though senpai, i use it to dab on them meso shits. Lil niggas never see it coming
>>
File: vst.png (2 KB, 206x15)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
one for the best of vst compilation boys
>>
>>497109
ghostmasters gonna freak!!!
>>
>>496905
Lithuanians and Byzantines have some of the best skrims, Viet pairs really well with civs with decent trash units, specifically skirms in this case
>>
>>497099
>No one fucking goes man at arms

no one under 1000 elo maybe lmao
>>
>>497070
Relic victory limits the game strategically
It's too hard to stop a relic victory early in the game, you would see yolo relic strats which wouldn't really add anything to the game.
Some maps would be need to be re-balanced
The problem is sort of fundamental in that civs can't be balanced for all victory conditions.
You would see civs shoehorned into stupid tech switches just to deny civ losses to aztecs and saracens stupid relic rush wins with pike/monk

The result would be that players had to consistently take otherwise pointless precautions like checking corners for pre-walling, putting scouts on relics,
>>
>>497099
MAAs is actually a fairly common strat, just because the scrubs in your ELO doesnt use it doesnt mean it's not used in general
>>
>>497145
Drush to man at arms is underrated because it is really the first power spike in feudal.
If you've got four millitia in the enemies base, your man at arms could come in at the same time as armor and catch your enemy off guard.

But then if you don't go man at arms you can go towers, garrison the weak millitia and micro against villagers, basically forcing your enemy to fight with a ton of vills

And then you might not back up the man at arms, you might just bait your opponent into over-investing in defense. and go seige at home
>>
>>497099
omegalul look at this senile boomer
>>
I go man at arms and hit walls every game and he just walls behind
>>
>>497387
So follow up with a tower or archers so he can't do that?

Even if you don't do that you're still forcing him to idle some eco and keep some pressure of yourself, so it's not completely wasted even if you don't get in
>>
>racist idiot who types page long essays about the game gets exposed as a seething sub 1000 elo shitter

Lel. Peak /v/ vibes
>>
I've unlocked the Huskarl and the Gbeto profile icon because I won 10 games. I've played quite a bit with Persians as well, but I haven't unlocked the War Elephant yet. Where can I see my stats for each specific civ?
>>
>>497515
aoenexus tracks your wins with civs, game durations and other stuff. It's pretty usefull
>>
>>497531
Thank you. Any other websites I should know of?
>>
>>497531
What the hell? This website says I only have 4 Goth wins. And I haven't even finished the Goth campaign? How do I have the Goth icon unlocked then?
>>
I'm scared to play online bros...
>>
fucking hell, how do you get out if the elo hell? in 1v1 im stuck in around late 700 to mid 800, it always goes like this
>lose 5 times in a row
>elo shrink back to early 700s
>paired against utter retards
>elo boosted up again to 800s
>paired with tryhards who got 200+ games

i know basic build orders like ff or fc, what to do with the first 9/15 vills, and practicing rush against a bot wont help because they rarely walls and its easy as shit
>>
>>497577
just play more lmao but seriously, if you keep losing games at such low elo then there's something very wrong with your basic mechanics. Watch your own reps, notice exactly when and why shit goes south and then try to improve on it.
>>
>>497458
Problem is by the time you have archers with fletching he will have more archers
>>
File: exaggerated.png (631 KB, 2000x2000)
631 KB
631 KB PNG
>>496272
something like this?
>>
How do you counter trebuchets taking down your defenses if you don't have bombard cannons and the enemy protects their trebs with units?
>>
>>497544
not really, aoezone also has discussion about the game if you want that.
>>497554
I think the site is pretty new so it won't have stats of all game played since DE released. Only the last couple of months
>>
>>497607
That can't be it. I started playing only after this site was created.
>>
>>497617
Oh then I have no idea. My stats seem to be accurate for what it's worth
>>
>>497606
>how to win if you got outplayed
>>
>>497577
you could try having somebody better at the game to view one of your recorded games to give you tips.

Some general tips that might be useful:

Improve the execution of your buildorders, instead of knowing what to do with the first 15 vils, know what to do with all vills in dark age.

Keep TC working at all times

Learn to use hotkeys, for starters at least use the hotkeys for selecting tc, creating villagers and selecting idle vils

Know unit counters

Scout properly (use shift-queue to scout if you dont), find your resources, where to wall and then go find the opponent and figure out what he's doing

Hera has a pretty great guide on how to get better on yt as well
>>
>>497606
Have more trebs/Have more units. Rams + units can do the tricks as well
>>
>>497598
Great, but maybe a cross on its tunic?
>>
>>497652
please never use this kind of spacing again
>>
>>497598
and it's already on reddit
>>
>>497721
weird
>>
File: Illustration.png (602 KB, 1252x1041)
602 KB
602 KB PNG
>>496031
berserker chan request from the /vm/ thread
>>
>>497652
ive known basics like counters, been using hotkey since AOC too, control groups for everything too, thing is either my adhd kicking in and i couldnnt focus on like 3 things at once
>>
>>497606
Stall out with treb war
>>
>>497759
You think 5 melee armor is a lot?

Try 13
>>
File: WarElephantIcon-DE.png (136 KB, 256x256)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
>>497772
lmao "armor", try 600 hp. You think you're slow and tanky? This is slow and tanky.
>>
>>497761
the one thing im still bad at is scouting and knowing what the enemy will be doing next
>>
File: 1599900981457.jpg (118 KB, 917x960)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
Are there any other based players like Hoang?
>>
>>495921
Most people don't fast castle to instantaneous castle drop. They usually extend feudal age a bit too have map control to an extent then castle drop
>>
>>491250
>Play goths
>build 5 huscarls
>tear it down and kill the vills
>>
File: Brennus.jpg (48 KB, 600x586)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>497759
Anta baka?
>>
>>497845
I like vivi
>>
>>496031
Could you draw a mayan Imperial Skirmisher?
>>
>>497721
>>497754
Is there a redditor among us?
>>
>>497990
A-Among us...?
>>
>>496031
Teuton driving his to his daily commute in his Siege Tower when all of a sudden a family of Mongols in a Ram zooms past him
>>
>>498072
Fun fact: The fastest unit in the game is a fully garrisoned Mongol Siege tower with infantry with Drill.
No I aint memeing, go test it on the editor, they are faster than Hussars and Kings
>>
>>498086
kek, I need to try this
>>
>>498086
Viper and... I want to say Nili, used this in a team game not too long ago. Mongol siege towers filled with Elite Teutonic Knights.
>>
>>498122
Now I imagined a bunch of Cuman Hussars riding around the map, then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA start to be heard.
Then hussars notice a drifting Siege tower, driven by a Mangudai archer and fill to the brim with Teutonic Knights. Siege Tower quickly fades into the distance, leaving behind nothing but dusts.
>>
>>498086
It's actually the berber trade cog from what I remember.
>>
>>498160
>Super fast berber trade cog
Imagine
Imagine the trade gold
>>
why are most goth player ive found are retarded? not drushing, not flushing, but boom until late game, which will inevitably get knight rushed by the time the enemy hit castle age, even in 1v1 or 2v2 situatiob most of the time goth players are like this
>>
>>498189
Shitters like to boom with no army. Shitters think Goths are a good civ.
Put the 2 together and you end up with a civ where most players are trash.
>>
File: 1614869663789.jpg (58 KB, 297x307)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>497990
/ic/ sent me to redit to grow my art page sorry guys i was the imposter
>>
>>498263
>Ejects you from this board
>>
>>498263
OFF WITH HIS HEAD
>>
How legit is laming throughout the different ELO brackets?

I want to follow Hoang's footsteps and become successful and hated
>>
>>498404
It's always 'legit' in the sense you can easily turn games in your favour, but at the highest ELO brackets people will know how to defend from lames, counter lame and overall not stay as passive as low ELO players are.
>>
>>498404
Lamer bois have no skill
>>
900+ is just tower rush non stop
>>
>>498691
>not being able to defend from tower rushes
>>
>>498693
I can it's just boring :(
>>
>>498695
I guess.
>>
>>498412
this but the opposite
>>
>>498404
>>498412

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKV7p2Q7rwY

Nili made a video about it
And its gay as fuck

>>498691

>2020+1
>tower rush
who the fuck tower rushes nowadays? battering towers down is ridiculous easy
only incas have a viable tower rush
>>
>pro players who can lame with their eyes closed think it's a terrible mechanic and ask for it to be banned when given the choice
>shitters at 1100 elo who can't even lure their own boar defend the right to lame

What causes this phenomenon?
>>
>>498827

aoe2 works exactly as chess
at the highest level a single pawn advantage means a victory
same with boars, +300 food for you and - 300 for the enemy in dark age makes a really big difference
in low level you can be behind in 50 vills and still win because your opponent is a tard that cant micro a group of crossbows against a single mangonel
>>
>>498827
>ask for it to be banned
? ? ?
>>
>>498845
>in low level you can be behind in 50 vills and still win because your opponent is a tard that cant micro a group of crossbows against a single mangonel
If he has that much eco advantage he can imp, he can go cavalry.
>>
>>498863
"go cavalry"
at low elos this means 2 stables inconsistently making cavalier without plate barding armour and running under castles
>>
>>498827
pros are babies who can't adapt because they are too used to build orders

average player screws up their build order enough to know what it's like and are used to having to adapt

low elo players are smarter than pros, they just have memorised less and have worse micro
>>
>>496306
Are you one of those retards that dont fc on arena and make military in feudal?
>>
>>498874
damn, how will pros ever recover. Top 50 confirmed brainlets
>>
>>498827
>>498845
>Nooo you can't harass me until I say so

Why are aoe2 players such babies? You can lame your opponent just like you can get lamed yourself, git gud and get over it. Laming doesn't ruin your games, you do.
>>
Scouts or archers into crossbow is the best strategy on arena
>>
>>499095
>You can lame your opponent just like you can get lamed yourself
Yeah man lemme just hack the game so my opponent always has his boars in an exposed location and his sheep halfway across the map
>>
>>499113
Git gud
>>
>>499113
Adapting to your map is part of the game. Your opponent is just as likely to have his boars and sheep in exposed locations as you
>>
>>499113
cope
>>
>>499095
>i-its balanced
See HC3 finals, Viper lamed every game, there are almost no consequences for laming. You can't stop the boar so it is up to the lamer to fuck up.
>>
>>499179
>You can't stop the boar
Yikes, lad. At least play the game from time to time instead of only complaining on uzbek horse archery imageboard.
>>
Laming is so last year. Only people who do it these days are low elo legends.
>>
>>498819
He completely missed the point of the argument of "it's in the game so it should be allowed". It doesn't mean that it needs to stay in the game, it means that as long as it stays it should be doable in tournaments. To me it should be taken out with a patch, not with arbitrary tournament rules. No serious competitive video game that is regularly patched should need a human judge for something that can be programmed in. Or else it leads to tournament games having a completely different meta from ranked for no real reason.

>>498874
More like pro players spent years on voobly playing the game with a few artificial restrictions like random pick only and no laming, because they could choose not to play with people who don't agree. Now that they have to play with everyone they need to play the game as it is, not as they think it should be, and turns out they don't like it. I wonder if laming was the standard way to play from the beginning if build orders would start factoring it in like maybe going after the boar super early, and then the current build orders would be considered a high risk play.
>>
>>497845
I need a fourth man for the aggro gang team comp:
Hoang
Lyx
Rubenstock
>>
>>499419
maybe vivi
>>
>>496900
>>496771
So I was watching Daut and he was playing on this Deep Waters Gaming league thing. I looked it up and it's the exact settings I've been talking about: you start the game with 9 villagers and a bit more of the map explored. Unfortunately it has a time limit like redbull, but good to know more people think the same about the first 9 vils and that pro players are testing it.
>>
>>499452
I don't think it should be common, you need time to think about the matchup and opening, this isn't Starcraft where you just spam and click
>>
>>499494
>where you just spam and click
wew
>>
>>497845
Vinchester most based man in the scene, his hidden cup games and redbull games were phenomenal
>>
File: FEMALEVILLDE.jpg (10 KB, 256x256)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
you did complete all of the women of history event challenges, did you anon?

do it for her
>>
>>499721
is there a coomer profile picture as a reward? if so I may redownload the game
>>
>good yet cheesy at times VAs for original + conquerors campaigns
>decent VAs for the African Kings and Rajas campaigns
>DE released
>spend money to redo all the voice acting and every single campaign now has garbage tier VAs
what on earth were they thinking?
>>
>>499721
I've researched sappers a gazillion times by now, but still nothing?
>>
>>499420
Yeah I was thinking either Vivi or maybe MBL for the laming, but I feel like embee's laming is more a meme these days than reality.
>>
>>498930
>NOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CANNOT DEFEND YOURSELF IF YOU SEE THE OPPONENT IS MINING STONE
>NOOOOOO YOU SHOULD FOCUS ON ECONOMY
>>
>>499926
>if you see
>on arena
>>
I just got drushed. I had no military so I resigned pretty quickly. He typed 11 in the chat. Was he mocking me?
>>
>>499972
>what are the age-up timings
>>
>>499972
>What are timings
>What are increased LoS for scouts uppong hitting feudal age
>What are outposts
Nigger.
>>
>>499983
Not everyone hits Castle Age at the same time. Not everyone plays at 2000 elo.

>>499991
>What are increased LoS for scouts uppong hitting feudal age
>What are outposts
Right, because your outposts and scouts have enough LOS to see his entire base from behind the walls.
>>
>>499997
Still better than nothing, at least you will see coming out.
Also some civs are more prone to castle drops more than other, Mayans, Burmese, Spanish for example
>>
>>499999
>Mayans, Burmese
Why particularly these two?
Also, checked.
>>
>>500002
Plummies are extremely hard to kill, can harass pretty much forever unless you have elite skirms at hand, and Burmese can easily destroy entire bases if left unchecked.
There's an arena meta/build order in which the Burmese player gets 2 castles in castle age and spam ungodly amounts of arambai and wipe out entire bases, it's pretty hard to counter
>>
>server maintenance
>can't play mp
What the honest fuck? Didn't the original game have P2P functionality?
>>
>>500005
You speak like this is the first time they did server maintenance.
>>
>>500009
It sure as hell is the first time I'm witnessing it.
>>
>>500010
Maybe, but they did a lot of maintenance in the past, you been living under a rock mate.
And I think HD also had servers, I recall them being janky as fuck, also sometimes extremely laggy.
I THINK the only time there was a P2P system is with Voobly hosted games, tho I'm not entirely sure.
>>
>>500015
AoE2DE definitely isn't my most played game despite being part of my childhood. I just can't enjoy the game just in singleplayer and I have extreme anxiety in MP since it can be very cutthroat.
I've sort of gotten over it and I've started practicing almost daily now.
>>
>>500022
>I've sort of gotten over it and I've started practicing almost daily now.
Good job anon, first step on a long road.
And yeah DE does server maintenance every or two months, around that number.
Did you completed the Art of War tutorial?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (830 KB, 1920x1080)
830 KB
830 KB JPG
>>500025
Got gold on everything a while ago, yeah.
Had some practice from a friend of mine showing me ZeroEmpire's fast castle scenario back in HD times.
Took me a while to actually made sense of why each step would be taken, though.
>>
>>500022
>I have extreme anxiety in MP since it can be very cutthroat.
After about 10 games your ELO should ajust to where you play against people at your own level.
>>
>>500038
Atta boy, you're on the right path
Dont feel discoured by defeats, take it as a lesson to do better next time.
I think the majority of /v/-/vst/ players let defeats affect them deeply in an emotional way, when in reality you shoudln't give it that much of an importance.
>>
>>499980
>Was he mocking me?
Yes, call him a nigger.
>>
Anons, I'm here once again to hit you with some more controversy:
Now that the vital nature of Loom has been drilled into everyone's head, is the smarter play actually to skip it to get faster Feudal and free vill lead, and use some of that extra vill time/resources to build a defensive tower you otherwise wouldn't?
Tower garrison to drive away scouts is faster than TC garrisoning vills and way more reliable than hoping Loom or quickwalling saves you.
With games so heavily leaning into decisive Feudal clashes, isn't the extra time necessitated for Loom and the fact nearly everyone researches it now more than ever starting to put it into "things that help you when you're already losing" territory as SotL would call it, which is questionable if you're committing to a rush?
Loom is becoming so saturating that I bet a lot of "good" players don't even check vills to see if it's there anymore, or won't within another few months at any rate.
It seems like a window of opportunity until some pro or streamer gets a big enough championship win by skipping Loom that the masses start thinking about it again.
Or maybe that's already happened and the window has closed, I don't really keep up with tournaments.

>>499452
Amazing, leave it to DauT honestly.
>>499494
It's a multiplayer game.
You will both have the disadvantage of figuring it out on the fly.
Why are people so proud of their macros but so afraid of thinking flexibly?
Do you think DauT of all people doesn't think about his matchups and strategy enough?
If he didn't have that he'd be absolutely nothing.
>>
>>500205
>le im gonna make some controversy :p
>says some utterly retarded shit for like the third time in the thread

Stop posting.
>>
>>500217
No.
Stop being a bot.
>>
>>500205
>Now that the vital nature of Loom has been drilled into everyone's head, is the smarter play actually to skip it to get faster Feudal and free vill lead, and use some of that extra vill time/resources to build a defensive tower you otherwise wouldn't?
The first villager you lose due a dark age scout seeing you dont have a loom, or god help you, a drush, you will lose all advantage.
Stop being retarded.
>>
>>500205
>Now that the vital nature of Loom has been drilled into everyone's head, is the smarter play actually to skip it to get faster Feudal and free vill lead, and use some of that extra vill time/resources to build a defensive tower you otherwise wouldn't?
Maybe if their scout dies. Otherwise no.
>>
>>500221
Why would you ever skip loom on an open land map?

You are increasing your economy by 20res/min at the cost of your villagers being more than twice as easy to kill. Any raid will in theory do twice as much damage as it would otherwise.

Also of all possible reasons to try and get a faster feudal or more resources in feudal why would you choose it to be a defensive tower? Defensive tower is universally one of the worst decisions you can nake in this game, even worse when you do it blindly without cause.

Your idea makes no sense because it is based on a big sacrifice of defense for a small economy bonus (vill instead of loom), just so you can make a big sacrifice of economy so you can get a small defensive boost (watch tower).

Your two decisions have cancelled each other out, you are in a much worse position than a standard start, and you have gained nothing. One of worst ideas I have ever seen.
>>
>>500227
>a drush
Lmao this as well. I didn't mention this in my previous post but imagine just auto losing because your opponent decided to drush kek. Best case you will have to do a panic loom in which case your stupid strat has still been negated by one of the most common openings.
>>
>>500217
>>500227
>>500232
>>500233
Congrats you all got baited!
>>
frankly not sure if wanting to skip loom or being unable to work around a drush is more retarded
>>500239
kek
>>
>>500239
Pretending to be retarded does not makes you any less retarded, retard.
>>
>>500233
Shit man u ethered that nigga
>>
>>500205
thanks for keeping this thread going
>>
>>500205
skip loom as civs like Berbers so you can fast castle to knight rush desu
>>
>>499721
One challenge left
>>
skip loom as civs like spanish and sicilians so you can lose elo even faster
>>
How do you fix the DLC civs?
>>
>>500340
get rid of them
>>
>>496718
Condos espec if 3v3 or 4v4.
Since you also get a pocket Italian with arguably the best UU in team games.
>>
Ghostmaster is the bests player of /vst/??
>>
>>500340
sicilians get siege onager or a fully upgraded archer line, like every other infantry civ
burgundian eco techs cost gold instead of food, and half as much gold as they would spend food
>>
>>496718
Depends on who is on your team.
If you have someone playing Turks then Genitours are by far the best option because it completely negates their lack of skirmisher weakness by giving them fast, tanky skirms.
Condottieri similarly negates the weaknesses of a lot of other civs that lack champion by giving them a slightly weaker but faster champion alternative. It's good for civs like Bulgarians that have a lot of infantry bonuses but don't get champs.
Imperial skirmisher is a bit more situational since it depends more on who you're up against. It's the best if the enemy team has a lot of archer civs, but otherwise it's a bit meh. It's great if you have a team with a lot of skirmisher bonuses like Lithuanians or the meso civs.
>>
>>500340
Donjons get free murder holes and more HP to compensate for their absurd stone cost and increase anti-building damage that serjeants deal so that donjons are actually viable. Also give them a bit more pierce armor, HP, or slightly faster movement speed.
>>
>>499723
Joan of arc icon is kinda cute
>>
>>499999
Wasting stone on an outpost that might not even do anything is worse than nothing
>>
>>500690
Knowledge is power, seeing shit coming can be the difference between losing and winning.
>>
>playing arena
I think I know where the issue is
>>
>Laming is a feature of the game it shouldn't be changed
>But exing in 1v1s shouldn't be allowed
>>
>>500836
Exing in 1v1s is for turbofaggots. Fuck anyone who does this shit.

Laming at least has a benefit so you can justify it from a win at all costs perspective. Exing is just gratuitously being a cunt.
>>
>>500836
>>500854
Exing?
>>
>>500877
pinging around on the map.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW4--1Pm7vM
>>
>>500905
Can you, like, ignore it?
If you opponent is mass pinging then ignore the minimap and carry out with your game, he's wating his APM mass pinging while you're focusing in your game.
>>
>>500905
wtf you can see your opponent's pings? what the hell is wrong with this game
>>
>>500997
only in 1vs1 desu
>>
if I'm forwarding a siege workshop, what should I be aiming to do? Destroy buildings, aim for the TC, prevent villagers from mining?
I feel like my mangos are doing work when I do that but my economy eventually falls behind.
>>
>>500905
Lmao absolute state of MP.
>>
>>501294
Push walls, kill defenders, destroy production buildings/castles, destroy TC, kill villagers
>>
>>501294
You attack what is closest
>>
>>501294
deny resources and new buildings, 2 mangos can destroy almost any foundations in the first couple of seconds
>>
>>499721
>>500689
my wife a cute!
>>
>>499731
cheesy VA is the sovl of late 90s-early 2000s RTS, playing campaign in DE isnt just the same as before, especially OG campaigns. but several OG campaign like Montezuma aint as hammy as the others iirc, "Passed down to you by Cuauhtemoc, Eagle Warrior of Tenochtitlan" is one of my best remembered lines from the original campaign
>>
>>501942
Cyoot
>>
File: arabia 1v1.png (216 KB, 844x376)
216 KB
216 KB PNG
rate
>>
>>502056
Drop franks a tier, way too predictable.
>>
>>502056
>Teutons
>F
Why
>>
>>502056
Would put Lithuanians in S, Byzantines and Magyars in B. Otherwise pretty good though .
>>
>>502056
Why are Vikings S? I guess I just have no idea how to play them, because to me, they always come off gimped as fuck.
>>
>>502067
it’s predictable, but still effective
>>502056
*makes skirms*
>>
>>502275
Tougher MAA, good archers, free wheelbarrow
>>
>>502275
>free wheelbarrow and handcart
Vikings is easily the best boom civ even though their late game is mediocre.
>>
Is it just me, or does everyone have a much higher team elo than 1v1 elo?
>>
>>502571
You are right. There are two reasons.

1. The team game elo isn't a zero sum exchange. The amount of elo points floating around is always inflating. As long as you have a 50% win rate, you will steadily gain team elo just by playing.

2. Team ladder is populated less by tryhards and more by casuals when compared to the 1v1 ladder. A player of average skill level in 1v1 is therefore above average in team games
>>
>>502571
Yeah everyone has higher ELO in team ladder, it's strange but that's how it is
>>
>>502578
>tryhards
>casuals
I haven't been playing very long. What exactly do you mean by this?
>>
>>502578
>Team ladder is populated less by tryhards and more by casuals when compared to the 1v1 ladder.
Go play some arabia 4vs4 team games in ranked and come back say that again.
>>
>>502591
bruh
>>
>>502597
I speak English, so I understand the words, but what does this exactly mean in the context of AOE2? More rushes? Different attitude? More people dropping?
>>
>>500690
It's just 5 stone.
>>
>>502599
Tryhard = I MUST WIN
Casual = lol whatever
>>
>>502603
And how do you notice against whom you're playing?
>>
>>502599
Ignore him, there's always shitters with awful opinions.
There are always people that try to win in both 1vs1s and team games, it all depends in the map in itself, for example, Mega Random matches tend to be less serious.
>>
>>502613
What do I do if I want to avoid tryhards?
Til now I've been avoiding Arabia, since everyone always only talks about Arabia.
>>
>>502608
Tryhard = better than me
Casual = Worse than me.
>>
>>502608
You don't. You notice by reading forums and shit. There are a lot of people with ladder anxiety that play team games only because they feel less pressure when they have teammates to help and/or blame.
>>
>>502619
I feel more pressure, because what if I screw up and cause my team to lose?
>>
>>502613
>There are always people that try to win in both 1vs1s and team games
No one is disputing this. But the proportions of tryhard to casual are different betweeb ladders.

It's impossible to quantify how serious someone is in ranked so I have no data, but I would say that 75% of 1v1s are between tryhards compared to 50% of team games. That's my point.
>>
>>502620
Well then that's fine. Play only 1v1s then. You will develop into a better player that way anyway since team games encompass a narrower range of skills than 1v1s do.
>>
>>502626
At my low elo I don't think that will make a difference.
>>
>>502645
low elo is a temporary state
>>
>>502647
I just play for fun, I don't care to improve my elo, I don't even bother using hotkeys, besides my initial scout.
>>
>>502615
>What do I do if I want to avoid tryhards?
Play ranked until you start facing 'tryhard' then either just host lobby games, play team games with friends if possible, or somehow tank your ELO until you're comfy with the games you get
>>
Does anybody know why I have the Huskarl icon unlocked, even though I've only won 5 games with them online, and only completed 3 campaign missions?
>>
>>502735
compstomps?
>>
>>502737
You mean just a regular single player skirmish? Because I don't do compstomp online.
>>
>>502738
yeah, these count to achivement progress too
>>
>>502143
I'm a shitter, but I remember a pro player saying that they can't do shit against cav archers, so maybe that is a factor.
>>
>>502740
Really? So you can just play 10 skirmishes on easy difficulty to unlock anything you want?
>>
>>502742
Not really. Siege units exist
>>
>>502747
Also in castle age, elite skirmishers are mostly servicable. (they do lack the thumb ring but it's not a huge loss for skirmishers defensively|)
>>
>>502744
sure, but why?
>>
>>501942
Alas, Joan, it is nothing personal. It is only politics.
>>
>>502762
>His son dies badly in a random fight and Burgundy is destroyed
The Armagnacs laugh at John the Botcher of Nicopolis's lineage
>>
>>489337
Sicilian (Norman) campaign is actually really fun. It's just the story of Normans being cheeky cunts and getting away with it constantly.
>>
>>502735
You just need to win as a civ in any mode to unlock their icon, be campaign, skirmisher or multiplayer
>>
File: 1385958541196.jpg (590 KB, 2048x1362)
590 KB
590 KB JPG
>>502800
>Just now playing the Sicilian campaign for the first time, on the second mission
>Keep the fugitive and go take the first town after killing the Emir
>Orange is strongest player so when some reinforcements spawn into the map sit them at the gate nearest orange
>They attack almost immediately with some crossbowmen, quick mop-up
>5 minutes later hear the ding of combat and see on the minimap its at that gate
>Its Emir Ibn al-Ward, leader of Orange, attacking alone
>Highest score opponent immediately wiped out and becomes an ally

I can't figure out why it happened. I hadn't gone anywhere near the castle with the Emir or even the borders of his territory.
>>
>>495798
It's one of those "get out of my game" upgrades that when you see it come in, you should know you should resign. If you don't you're just gonna get flattened by SO soon anyway.
>>
>>503207
i win the tatars first because i finished their campaign first(and its 1 chapter longer than other new campaigns), and i played them alot in the skirms since i love the architecture
>>
How can you plebs die to Siege Onagers? Just run away lmao
>>
>>498189
Goth players are braindead
>>
>>503647
>since i love the architecture
PERSIANS MUST GET THIS ARCHITECTURE ALSO
>>
>>503762
Fucking this
>>
>>503706
t. AI
>>
>me and my friend usually play ranked on weekends
>casual competitive, we know our hotkeys, unit counters, and basic build orders
>usually we're paired against 1 noob who just played last week, and one apm gooklicker
>the match most of the time ends with the gooklicker carrying the noob and obliterate our team

how to get out of this torment
>>
>>504009

_ _ _ _ _ _
>>
>>504009
Franks and Britons pick
>>
>>504009
l2p
>>
>>502056
>Teutons F
What?
>>
>>504128
too slow
>>
>>504135
Just let me boom in fucking peace
>>
>>504135
They are never F tier
>>
>>503759
This
>Four lakes, me Japanese vs some Goth player
>Can't counter my pathetic MAA opening or the 4 skirms that follow.
>Builds 12 galleys to take out my 3 fishing ships, does nothing else on water
>Rushes to Imp, charges his huskarls into 12 Samurai
Asshole was petty, had to completely wipe him off the map for him to resign.
>>
>>496969
based microsoft
>>
>>504231
Lmao, a few days ago I played against Goths on arena. In feudal age he sends half a dozen militias to my walls. I kill them with MAA and archers. I don't wait for the Goth wave, so as soon as he reaches imperial age I send my army of mostly 2Hswords and Samurai to his base. I wipe out everything and only take two or three losses. Dude hadn't even built a castle yet.
>>
>>504298
>attacking in feudal
>on arena
Does it even work with goths? Is civ bonus enough to deal reasonable damage to stone walls?
>>
>>504331
It CAN work in denying the map to your opponent. Eventually you could break through the walls but the effort wouldn't be worth it IMO.
>>
>>504389
>denying the map to your opponent
He didn't even try to do that. He was just banging against my wall until I got my first archer out, then he pulled them back and they were just idle, not even patrolling.
>>
>>504470
Sounds like the average Goths player.

On the other hand, I love playing as Goths and doing shit like Knight+skirm pushes in early castle. Very rarely does the opponent (at my level) expect it.
>>
>>504027
might try this, early feudal rush with this combo might work out well, i create scouts, my bud creates archers
>>
File: comic301.png (333 KB, 650x1008)
333 KB
333 KB PNG
>>488085
>Map: Black forest
>Size: Normal (6p) or Large (8p)
>Difficulty: As hard as I can take it (usually just hard)
>Players: 5 (2v2v1)
>Play as Byzantines
>Strategy: Turtle, Trade with ally. Deffend mylself. lone AI is there to be a diversion. But if my ally gets killed, even better.
> Forest tunnels full of all kind of towers, fortified walls, gates, skirmishers...
>Massive economy, if possible, most relics.
>Once in Imperial, make massive army (mostly trash units, just a handfull of Cataphracts as an elite platoon)
>Get army in Ctrl+1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (Cataphracts are always 3, siege always 4)
>Slowly crawl my way out of my lair.
>Defeat one for one all the enmies.
>Ultra fun. Game can be easily 5 hs long.
I play like this since 2004-5
>>
>>506317
yikes
>>
Shouldn't we get a new map rotation soon?
>>
>>506317
>attacked by a wolf
>still gathering the berries
That's not how it works. Did the artist even play the game?
>>
>>506589
>Did the artist even play the game?
yes, but like this >>506317
>>
>>499980
>can't defend a drush
Nigger what? Militia are basically villagers and there are only 3 of them
>>
>>506723
Of course a dozen villagers can fight off 3 militias, but at a great cost. You still lose and it's just not fun.
>>
>>506796
bruh
>>
>>506811
Tryhard
>>
>>506819
bro just wall, anyone with triple-digit ELO can do it
>>
>>506538
>Shouldn't we get a new map rotation soon?
We just got them a week ago.
>>506796
It takes like 4 vils chief. All a drush accomplishes is like 2 vil kills (3 if you manage to get the boar lurers) and idles your eco a bit. It barely counts as a raid.
>>
>>506859
if you lose even a single vil to a drush you might as well gg
losing 3 vils would be some kind of world record
>>
>>501373
>>501440
>>501909
Thanks bros
Been trying to hard practice siege civs but I was in a shitty mood yesterday and kept losing so I'll just clear my backlog
>>
I just lost a game in the stupidest way possible. I had my base completely closed off with stone walls. There was no way anyone could get through. Then I want to add a gate. Immediately as soon as I put the gate foundation out of the fog of war come a handful of knights running through my would be gate, right where my finished wall stood. This is bullshit. If 1% palisade walls stop an enemy so should a 0% gate placed within an existing wall.
>>
File: EyFUIpsVgAQl0pd.jpg (280 KB, 1450x898)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
>>
Does anyone ever make monks besides the ones needed for relics?
>>
>>507528
What am I? The Viper?
Of course not!
>>
>>507517
Nice
>>
>>507583
Not even fi you play Aztecs or Spanish?
>>
>>507330
Get dabbed on
Also you shouldn't be stonewalling your entire base. It's a waste of vill time and stone; no wonder you lost.
>>
>>508661
I'm not an Arabiafag, I prefer maps with chokepoints.
>>
>>508699
oof
>>
It's a real bummer when you're playing a game and your opponent resignes right after the decicive battle before you've had a chance to raid his base. Besides 'return to map' and 'leave map' we should have a third option: 'continue against AI'. What do you think?
>>
>>508841
from the last 3 matches ive played(all of em were 2v2 matches), 2 of em resigns way too quickly(after their forward castle drop has been destroyed, getting most of their expensivr units lost against cheap trash units etc), and in both of those matches i havent entered imperial age yet. even tho our ELO match up are rather balanced, with each team got the good guy and the average guy which rushes eachother pretty well.
in the third match, ive seen the most retarded fast castle drop ive ever seen
>franks
>megarandom map with no boars but two berry bushes and only 6 sheep
>standard fast castle at start, except with less guys on wood
>mf put 2 mills on each berry bushes with 6 vills each
>by the time he hits feudal, create market and blacksmith
>all of his 4 wood vill turned into food vill
>bushes and sheeps depleted, he hunts all the four deer
>after the deers depleted, he clicks the castle age researvh
>ALL of the villagers are now gathering stones
>2 digits on other resource
>proceed to move ALL of his vills to castle drop on my ally(which is still in feudal since his fast castle kinda fucked up)
>twice because he got cheaper castle cost
>but hes fucked up since he got no stable economy back home
>also the second castle never really built since his vills got killed by my knights and my ally's archer
>and no murder holes to stop my small number of knights and rams
>bumrushed his ass only with 20 knights and 4 rams

pro tip, dont use dumb rush strategies against bot in a ranked game
>>
File: Onager.png (223 KB, 300x300)
223 KB
223 KB PNG
>>508699
Does this upset you, Blackforestfag?
>>
>>507528
for healing id rather spend 350 gold on herbal medicine, shit heals much much faster than 3 monks, and for relics i usually only need 1 or 2
>>
>>506796
>at a great cost
as long as the vill to militia ratio isnt 1:1, you better off fight back those militias with your vills, espescially since i assume you already taken loom at dark age. if the drusher attacks a less populated place, just bait him to a more crowded place or bring more villagers against them, drushes are effective when the target doesnt have loom, arent able to quick wall, or got a lotbof separated vills (mainly wood line, gold, or hunters), also get used to placing your houses(after the first two) as a wall for your base
>>
>>507528
if my opponent is going elephants they’re somewhat necessary
>>
>finally stop being a boomer about post-conquerors campaigns and start playing the newer ones
>a few of them are pretty fun
neat
>>
I have never played MP.
>>
>>509781
You should
>>
>>509781
its okay anon, i spent the first 100 hours of the DE on the campaigns and comfy casual-competitive matches with frens
>>
i rarely win a match when it gets too long, i usually only win if i could get an upper hand first(rush), or perfectly deny/obliterate the enemy rush. this apply both to team game and solo versus
>>
>>493260
I always felt RoN was more attrition focused anyways, a sort of tug o war with emphasis on big decisions rather than micro
>>
>>488973
3 minute drush tho
>>
>>496905
aztecs probably have the best trash unit in the game with imp skirms.
well maybe after magyar huszar and trash-two handed swordsman
>>
>>498819
god i hate nili and i dont even know why, he doesnt seem like a bad guy. i think its just his extremely annoying voice
>>
i absolutely suck at playing nomad. how the fuck do yo play that shit
>>
>>500340
get rid of the retarded one-off unique techs and meme bonuses like farm gold that only could help in the ultra lategame.
while we're at it rework all unique techs like that like cuman mercenaries and vietnamese paper money, they suck balls.
>>
File: 318.png (712 KB, 680x672)
712 KB
712 KB PNG
I actually never got to play AoE besides a little bit in the primary school.
Which one is best?
Is it fun? I don't remember much.
I prefer building and aesthetic cities though soI would probably suck.
>>
>>511445
AoE2 is the best one.
And you can just stick to single player and/or campaigns and enjoy comfy times.
>>
>>511445
If you're a casual and want to play mostly the campaign, they're all good. If you want a good and alive multiplayer, your options are 2 and 3, where 2 is the most popular. There is Age of Empires Online too which got shutdown and then revived by fans, but I have no idea if it's good or if anyone plays it, there is one guy here who occasionally makes threads for it and they die with almost no replies, so it's not a good sign. AoM has a great campaign but I have no idea what the multiplayer situation is like these days.
>>
>>511445
2 with the expansions is overall the best.
Vanilla 3 without any of the expansions is the best way to play 3, the expansions add a bunch of clutter shit and wonky balance.
1 is not aged very well. Unit pathfinding isn't good, and the techtree is not always intuitive. If you do play it, do not play the DE.
AoE: online was shut down, but mechanically it was fun.
Age of Mythology is also great, but again, avoid the expansion packs because they are imbalanced as shit.
>>
>>507517
well done. in the original joan's head is all messed up. she is turning her neck like 120 degrees

>>506317
nice meme but villagers will auto attack wolves if they are tasked to something. also wolves don't spawn near your berries
>>
>>511513
>Vanilla 3 without any of the expansions is the best way to play 3, the expansions add a bunch of clutter shit and wonky balance.
Isn't balance better now than vanilla? I thought the big problem was Sweden, which they just nerfed, right? Although I'm not that good at 3, so maybe I'm missing something.

>1 is not aged very well. Unit pathfinding isn't good, and the techtree is not always intuitive. If you do play it, do not play the DE.
Doesn't matter if you play DE or not, it sucks either way. At least DE is prettier, but that is subjective.

>AoE: online was shut down, but mechanically it was fun.
Fans revived it and then they added a new civ, new game modes and other stuff. Look up Project Celeste.
>>
>>511528
>Isn't balance better now than vanilla? I thought the big problem was Sweden, which they just nerfed, right? Although I'm not that good at 3, so maybe I'm missing something.
I was referring more to the Asian Dynasties and Warchiefs expansion packs. I think the Asian and American civs have such weird balance compared to the European ones and the Europeans have extra stuff added that just doubles up existing roles, like horse artillery

>Doesn't matter if you play DE or not, it sucks either way. At least DE is prettier, but that is subjective.
I think Age of Empires 1 has better art than the DE, even though it is older. It's crisper and the music is better as well.
>>
>>511540
>I think Age of Empires 1 has better art than the DE, even though it is older. It's crisper and the music is better as well.
Yeah but you're playing AoE 1. AoE 1 is clunky as fuck thanks to the horrible pathfinding.
>>
>>511540
AoE1 DE is still AoE1, it's the base game with a new coat of fresh paint, but in the end it's still AoE1, with all the jank it carries with it
Imo AoE1 DE is 'alright', it's certainly worth playing the campaigns, but that's pretty much it, it's still AoE1 so my expectations were not high, and while I was not disappointed, I was not impressed either.
>>
>build archery range at front of base
>set archery range rally point on opponent's base
>all my unit spawn inside my base, and then walk in the opposite direction to get around the wall and go where i told them

the rally point pathfinding is so bad. at least with units you can see when they are taking a bad path and fix it, but with buildings you just get screwed over half the time and end up with half your army in the middle of nowhere
>>
>>511607
They need to fix the pathfinding
>>
>>511278
desu if the cuman mercenaries were made to be a castle age tech it would be better, early castle age with 10 free fast moving horse archer to support your knight rush will be a better support, highly situational but way way more useful than in a late game situation where u need more macro than micro
>>
>>511238
this, i practiced this many times and it usually worked well in low sub par elo like mine(1100-1200 Team RM), since most of the time the enemy havent bought loom yet
>>
>>511513
titans was kinda decent desu, its the typical "good at lategame civs but you suck at early because everything was expensive" kinda civ, the chinks tho, they sucked ass
>>
>>511607
yeah sometimes this happens to me too, so in order to avoid this i build a wall first, delete a cell, then put the military building to plug the hole from the inside, most of the time they will spawn out of the wall when created, but you need to wall more and essentially it took the essence of early game quickwalling
>>
>>511272
play it with frens, i usually play nomad on random for the lulz
>>
>>509057
AoK campaigns aged pretty well desu, while not as janky as HD era forgotten campaign, it got less eye candy and the map design are rather simple compared to more recent campaigns, AoC ones aged like fine wine tho, especially Montezuma and El Cid campaign, i
>>
>>511630
The campaign for Titans is just so bland though. I also don't like how the Atlanteans means you are doubling up on Greek myth.
>>
>>511635
All the AoC ones are so fucking good. Just the right amount of scripting to make each scenario play uniquely without losing sight of the game itself. Forgotten, and many of the campaigns after that, just stuff so many triggers and shit into the huge maps with 7 AI players.
>>
>>511636
agreed, wish they create another DLC based on either celtic, middle eastern, or mesoamerican mythology
>>
>>498189
>why are most goth player ive found are retarded? not drushing, not flushing, but boom until late game, which will inevitably get knight rushed by the time the enemy hit castle age, even in 1v1 or 2v2 situatiob most of the time goth players are like this

Goth boom makes sense if you can get away with it. Like in a 2v2 for example. Goth late game is where they are the strongest. In the old days before DE the go-to counter against goths was rushing them. This was before supplies made champions a more viable counter.

Also knight rush against goths? Seriously? Rushes make sense but knight rushes is a bit late. Unless the goth player is actually retarded they would have a few barracks and a few defensive pikemen ready to shut down your knight rush. Pikemen are easy to get as they only require barracks (unlike the Barracks to stables for knights), and that 35% infantry discount is no joke and even expensive huskarls are slightly cost effective against knights with that discount. Feudal rushes and maybe archer rushes before he gets a castle up is where its at. However if you really want to only start attacking in castle age, champions might be your best bet. Champions/swordsmen was the usual counter against goth late game comps since they soft counter huskarls and hard counter pikemen. The two bread and butter units in the goths composition.
>>504231
Not all civs is blessed with a dedicated unique unit/infantry counter. If you where playing a non-japanese/teuton/byzantine civ in that scenario you would have alot more trouble.
>>
>>511753
everytime me and my friend found an opposing goth player in a 2v2 match we start rushing him at feudal, with the usual scout+archer combo, worked well
>>
>>511753
Bro there are like 10 civs that auto win in late game vs goths, and 10 civs which auto lose. The others are in the middle. The idea of goths lategame being so strong in such a meme. They are mid tier in every stage of the Imperial Age.
>>
>>511811
>10 civs that auto win in late game vs goths, and 10 civs which auto lose
Which ones? I can think of some, but you seem very sure.
>>
>>511883
Not him, but:
Aztecs, Japanese, Teutons, Bulgarians, Vikings, Franks (if massed up TAs), Byzantines, Khmer if reached a critical mass of heavy scorpions, Sicilians, Slavs, Italians if they manage to overpower the Goth with a sudden mass of Condottieri
>>
>>511900
What about the other way around?
>>
>new map pool
What the hell? Why didn't I get the anouncement on steam to vote?
>>
>>511908
Goths hard counters Mayans the most, provided they get to Huskarls in the very first place.
Then civs that very heavily rely on cavalry and cavalry archers can find Goths hard to stop, like Huns, Magyars and Mongols without siege.
Britons struggle against Goths but they get fully upgraded supplies champions, champions and archers can kill a Goth, tho it's hard to get there.
Chinese is in a similar case, if the chinks get a critical mass of chu-no-kus with a proper meatshield, like halbs, they can slowly push back a huskarl flood over time.
>>
>>511883
Aztecs dominate Goths at every stage of game
Byzantines easy win if fully boomed but Goths have edge before that
Franks Throwing Axeman wins easily
Japanese similar to Aztecs
Malay win easily because Karambit and THS both do well and they have way better eco
Slavs way better at all stages
Teutons similar
Vikings just eat Goth ass

Ok this was only 8 but I'm being very conservative and not counting shit like Burmese, Bulgarians, Malians, Incas who also have easy wins. Sicilians are good vs Goth as well and Cumans destroy Goths because Kipchaks beat Huskarls so Goths are left with Skirmisher as their only answer.
>>
>>511908
Chinese are awkward vs late goths because no Supplies
Ethiopians are pretty shit as well because Shotels just aren't a unit made for cost effectiveness
Huns die to Husk Halb
Indians get rekt
Koreans get rekt
Mayans famously weak to late game Goths
Mongols pretty bad as well
Tatars same as Huns
Vietnamese don't have a decent answer to Huskarls

Problem with Goths is that even in these matchups where they have advantage late game, they still fall behind early and mid game to most of these civs, so it's not necessarily a losing matchup for the above civs. On the other hand, the civs that beat Goths late don't lose to them early, so they should never lose if both players are equal.

>>511917
Yeah you clearly know what you are talking about but Britons counter Goths at 90% of stages in the game so I wouldn't include them.
>>
>>511935
>Yeah you clearly know what you are talking about but Britons counter Goths at 90% of stages in the game so I wouldn't include them.
Right, their archer rush is brutal so it's unlikely a Goth will get the upper hand on a Briton, but is still a threat for the Briton if drops the pressure at any moment.
Still in a better position than mayans tho.
>>
>>511607
Put a gate in your wall and the problem is fixed
>>
>>511883
Aztecs, Japanese, Burmese, Bulgarians, Slavs, Vikings and Teutons. They can beat up Goth infantry with their superior infantry.
Franks and Byzantines if they have castles otherwise they are bad.
>>511930
>Malay win easily because Karambit and THS both do well and they have way better eco
Lol no, Malay suck vs Goths, Huskarls beat Karambits and Champions beat them harder, Huskarls beat Arbalests, Halberdiers beat elephants
>>
>>511883
>>511900
>>512010
Goths are NOT hard countered by half the civs in the game. Byzantines is the only one that I can make a case for. The rest no.

A reminder that goths have hand cannons so they have an answer to superior Azetcs, Japanese, Bulgarians, Slavs, Vikings and Teutonic infantry (also you forgot about malay karambit zerglings those are so cost and pop efficient against other infantry). They also a have a hard counter option to hand cannon counters (archer/skirms with huskarls, Onager with bombard cannons). Byzantines Cataphracts is the only unit that Goths doesn't have a good answer for. Hand cannons are probably your 2nd best option if you can maintain a good meathshield. Huskarls and their bonus damage with tear HC's to shreds if you let them get close.

Feudal rush is the way to go against goths hence why they are considered underpowered in 1v1 arabia or similar open maps. Walled maps like arena, hideout or chokepointy maps like Black Forrest or Michi is a different entirely. They tend to lead to less rushes and more boom and thus leading to more lategame matches where the goths shine.

Finally goths is NOT that bad. They are definitely are up but it isn't like you automatically can't win when you have similarly skills players.
Here is a video of Hera (Saracens) vs Viper(Goths). 2 of the best players in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEHw9Du9ah8
Spoiler goths win.

This board makes me feel like a lot of people here are really new to this game (i.e. 1-2 years at best) and don't really know what they are talking about outside of viper/hera hot takes. Not that their hot takes are wrong mind you they are absolutely correct but the reasoning you guys give are so off it makes it feel wrong (i.e. rushing goths is correct but knight rushes against goths is one of the worst ways you can rush goths). To get an idea of how bad it is Reddit seems to have better AoE 2 takes than people here. Those old civ matchup threads where very insightful.
>>
>>512228
>They have hand cannons so they can survive superior infantry
Access to hand cannons is not enough, a better mass of champs will wreck your base before you have time to get enough hand cannons out, onagers deal nicely vs hand cannons and Arambai kill everything but huskarl
>>
>people ITT thought that better infantry quality is enough to beat late game Goths
>what is perfusion + cheap infantry combo
Also the original claim is 'auto win in late game'.
Out of civs mentioned here only Aztecs, Japanese, Slavs, and Byzantines could beat full boom Goths comfortably enough.
Teutons could auto win on non open map.
Bulgarians should be able to deal with them but they lack Champion which hurt them.
Franks TA have mediocre production speed for a castle UU so good luck with that.
Sicilian rely on Serjeant so they need shitload of Donjons.
Khmer Scorpions in critical mass are unstoppable but also too slow so it depends who managed to get early advantage.
Burmese and Vikings infantry bonus should help them but they are far from enough to comfortably beat them.

>>512228
Nah, HC is bad anon. Any civs with half decent cavalry and/or siege unit could deal with them easily. I've seen enough pro games for months and honestly I don't remember any game where HC turn into key unit that win the game.
>>
>>512249
Bullshit. If your in imperial age. It takes 260 secs to tech to champions (Man at Arms, Long Swordsmen, 2H then champion and etc). It takes only 100 seconds to tech hand cannons (just chemistry). Hand cannons will be coming out before your champs.

If you started using swordsmen in castle age, goth can still go archers to deal with infantry as they are not that bad yet (only lacking tumb ring and their lack of arblest doesn't matter yet) then quickly transition into HCs in . Otherwise they can simply make their own swordsmen which can still outnumber your even without supplies (goth bonus is better than supplies + team bonus for barracks speed ). Goths will get them out faster as well since the barracks speed team bonus also applies to upgrades.

Again and again I say, feudal rush is your best counter to goths.Letting them get to imperial age with an economy is almost always a mistake.

>>512338
We are not talking about general usage here we are talking about against goths. They are the only standard "archer" unit in AoE 2 that can actually hurt Huskarls, everyone else is only going to deal 1 to 3 damage per shot. Against huskarls. HCs deal more damage per shot than even scorpions. As for HC counters, we are talking about the goths here they have poor calv and poor siege. ( No Seige engineers, no Siege onager, no paladin and lacks final calv upgrade.) You also got the reason why HC sucks wrong. The real reason why they suck is between their slow shots and poor accuracy, they don't actually do their one job (killing infantry) any better than the cheaper archer line. Huskarls is an exception since the high damage overwhelms the huskarls ridiculous armour when otherwise archers do basically nothing.

Like I said you guys seem to only know a surface level understanding of the game. Your rebuttals make little sense.
>>
>>512338
Franks have no problem making enough castles, Burmese and Vikings both have a better eco bonus than Goths, they will win initial battles where the champ numbers are similar and that will snowball allowing him to take out castles and take out production.
>>512482
While that chemistry is coming in he is already trebbing down your castles and already has two handed swords, your 5 archery ranges are not producing anything until that research comes in, and there is arson for razing your ranges, razing your town centers.
>>
>>512487
Where is all this obsession with castles comes from? You do know what the anarchy tech does right? Goths only really need one castle and then keep that at least castle in imperial age long enough to get the 3 important upgrades.

Seriously if you just kept the argument at other civs have better eco making up for goth infantry discounts. You would be right and might have looked clever. All this castle talk is just stupid.
>>
>>512515
> Goths only really need one castle and then keep that at least castle in imperial age long enough to get the 3 important upgrades.
So how are you going to protect your farmers from champion raids?
>>
>>512520
Having your own soldiers on the field, Garrison into TC? Simply running away from them?
Champions are one of the slowest units in the game and is a quite bad raiding unit, only just above siege, skirms and halbs. Again if you said Calvary, archers or a fast infantry like eagle warrior (eagle warriors is a bad idea against infantry heavy goths outside of strictly raiding), Ghebto, karambit warrior or shotel warriors you might have a better point.
>>
>>512482
>We are not talking about general usage here we are talking about against goths.
Anon, you're talking about using Goths HC to counter other civs infantry in your previous post. That's why I argue about their general quality. You also skip the fact that HC is really squishy that 1 pinpoint Onager shot could flatten a dozen of them.
Of course against fully boom Goths HC and Champion are your last hope, but remember by the time you train 1 HC your opponent would already have at least 3 Huskarls.
>>
>>512482
>>512539
Why do you not know how to spell "cavalry?" This is three times you misspell this third-grade word.

This is an illuminating insight into the simple mind of the typical Goths fan.
>>
>>512551
When all you have left is nitpicking spelling errors and calling people goth fanboys. That must mean you won right?
>>
>>512549
Goths have bombards that hard counter onagers their long range snipes onagers before they even get a shot out.
>>
>>512682
>I want to go huskarls
>But I want to go champs
>But I want to go hand cannoneers
>But I want to go bombard cannons
If you give your oppoonent both the extra golds and sleep for 200 years of course he wins
>>
>>512688
Champs and huskarls are very gold cheap even more so with goths 35% discount, 2 huskarls cost roughly the same amount of gold as one HC. 4 champs cost the same gold as an HC. You should easily afford the gold on HCs and bombards, your not really using it for much else.
>>
>>512710
Hand cannons are not cheap at all, and they cost valuable food, you can't just tech into everything
>>
>>512713
1.Both hand cannon and bombard cannons only require chemistry to unlock. You don't even need arrow upgrades with HCs. It is one of the easier things to tech to.

2. Hand cannons are only 5 more gold than archers. It is not that bad.

3. As mentioned before you should have more gold than usual from the money saved building discount infantry which should be the bulk of your forces as goths anyway. HC and bombards is just there to counter the oppositions infantry and siege respectively.

4. Both HC and infantry costing food is a valid point. However you can just put a bit less villagers on wood or stone (which you don't need much of) and a bit more on food.

I have said this before goths are UP (underpowered) but the reason why is because of their poor early game not because of their shitty late game composition, that part is actually their strong point. The right answer for the wrong reasons is still wrong.
>>
>>509057
Some are very fun. Others, like the Indians or Italians or god damn Byzantines..... fuck me those are slogs.
>>
>>511753
>If you where playing a non-japanese/teuton/byzantine civ in that scenario you would have alot more trouble.
Yes, but I wasn't. I was Japanese. This wasn't secret knowledge or anything, the other player knew. And still acted retarded.
>>
>>512765
If the opponent is retarded then they are retarded. Goths player or otherwise.

Although I think the huns would probably attract the lowest IQs. Their no house requirement is quite attractive to noobs.
>>
>>512783
In my (limited) experience, the Goth players are usually the ones prone to retardation.

As for Goths themselves, they're not a bad civ they just specialize in the worst unit type (infantry). Their cavalry is perfectly useable though, their archers are fine until late castle. The problem is they have no incentive to use those types of units because their civ bonuses push infantry. If you're going to ignore those bonuses, why did you pick Goths to begin with?
>>
>>512338
Drushina slavic champions will beat gothic champions with equal resources.
>>
And just as we were talking about AoE1 above, they released a new balance patch:

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/aoede-update-46777/

AoE1 just got a balance patch. In 2021. What a time to be alive. I don't even know anything about the game to know if it's a good patch or not.
>>
>>512865
I did play one game of goths without using any infantry for shits and giggles. Spammed skirms and hand cannons as the meat of my army. Didn't work very well but it did show the goths have other options than just infantry.

>>512867
Depends if you count all resources equal or only gold or a hybrid of the two (i.e. gold value of food in a bottomed out market.) Considering Druzhina Slavic Champions is pretty late game the hybrid market option is probably the most optimal, In which case goth champions win, at least in a 1v1 without trade.
>>
>>512904
not meaning to worry you anon but WC3 also got a couple of balance patches right before Reforged was announced
>>
>>512932
I don't even care about AoE1 DE, I'm just surprised because I thought that game was abandoned. If you look at the forums it seems like everyone else thought so too. Feels like they don't have anything to announce for AoE1 in the April 10th event unlike 2, 3 and 4 so they released this now to make up for it.
>>
For fuck's sake, you're supposed to kill enemy soldiers, not avoid them and chase after villagers!
>>
>>512932
But now that you've mentioned Blizzard, a shitty game from 1997, whose only real competitive scene is a bunch of people in Vietnam playing on weird house rules, gets balance updates. The most popular competitive rts SC2 doesn't.
>>
Goths are one of those civs that you just can't have a discussion about because the second you point out their weaknesses a bunch of fanboys/bunch of noobs who can't beat them come crawling out to zealously defend them
>>
>>513224
>The most popular competitive rts
>>>>>>>SC2
Uh

What year is this? Wings of liberty launch year? SC2 died with totalbiscuit
>>
>>489540
i thought i was retarded because i couldn’t i couldn’t best this fucking campaign.
>>
>>513320
look at player and viewer numbers, now compare with other RTSs
>>
Are Koreans the most pointless civ? Why are they the only unique ship civ to not have a place in the water meta? Is the War Wagon a mobile scorpion or an armored CA? Were they just put in the game to make it more popular with the gookclickers?
>>
>>513493
They are not pointless, they just dont fit well into the early game meta, in which the game can pretty much be decided.
>>
>>513493
Also forgot to mention, it's an armored heavy cavalry archer, otherwise it's bolts would pierce throught enemies, like ballista elephnts and actual scorpions do
>>
>>513493
Koreans at least have an identity. Burgundians and Sicilians are soulless garbage meant to pad the number of civs and scam customers.
>>
>>513493
>Were they just put in the game to make it more popular with the gookclickers?
Yes, devs already admitted it several times.

>>513512
Burgundians and Sicilians haven an identity, they just suck. Sicilians even had the devs explain the historical reasons behind the gameplay decisions on reddit:
https://old.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/l6opzf/the_history_behind_the_sicilian_civ_bonuses/
>>
File: 20210408010035_1.jpg (585 KB, 1360x768)
585 KB
585 KB JPG
Anybody can turtle and boom, but are you able to rush and break turtling players?
What was the biggest siege you ever did in this game?
>>
>>513493
>Were they just put in the game to make it more popular with the gookclickers?
War Wagon is one of reason why the game is not popular among the Koreans though.
>>
>>513527
>What was the biggest siege you ever did in this game?
I played a game on 4 lakes as Tatars vs Chinese. Early scout raid had moderate success but the Chinese player responded by stone walling his entire base and he had a good hill for castling. So I made it to imp, made 5 trebs with tons of skirms and some Keshiks to keep them safe and essentially reenacted the Battle for Minas Tirith, slowly knocking him until he resigned.
>>
>>513545
Based Tatarchad does it again
>>
Tatarchads how do you make use of the early sheep bonus?

I can never utilise it a meaningful way, Tatars a basically a generic civ for me in the early game. What do?
>>
Is this how you're supposed to play

>As soon as game starts press H and Spam Q
>Grab the 2 villagers build house
>Grab 1 villager build house
>Send scout to starting sheep
>Send first sheep within the boundries of the TC
>Set spawn point on the sheep
>Shift Click the villagers building the houses on the sheep
>6 villagers on the sheep
>try and find the other 4 sheep and the 2 boards
>set next rally point on woodline
>send first two to build lumber mill
>send third to another tree nearby the mill

This is the part that screws me up because of the timing and I want to avoid sheep rotting. But to my understanding the next villager is supposed to lure the boar and bring it back to the base. But around that time my villagers will already be killing the next sheep and only be 75% done. Building a house is also a no go because by the time it finishes the sheep will have been eaten and it will already be on to the next sheep. Also if I abandon the foundations most of the time the boar is on the opposite side of the berries so abandoning it means idle time if any future villager needs to complete that house on their journey to the berries.

Anyway what I try to do is get the first boar then the 2nd boar and have 8 villagers on boar and 4 on berries. I experience issues with berries. With villagers getting stuck sometimes instead of delivering the food and this has always irritated me like its a pathing issue. I try to divide the 4 on opposite sides but this doesn't always work.

Anyway once the boars are finished I research loom at around 21 villagers and I divide the 8 villagers on boar in 2 groups of 4 on the remaining sheep and research feudal

I always wondered how players lure enemy boars or do other griefing methods while having to do all this. I also get tilted if anyone raids me around this time or harrasses me. I don't know what to do on water maps with my build order.

Tower rushes and castle drops next to my base or persian/cuman douches destroy me
>>
>>513564
Put 6 or 8 villagers on sheep, and collect from sheep 1 by 1. Believe me their sheep bonus is more helpful than you think, you will be able to get both horse collar and farm upgrade, and still be able to afford a scout rush.
I wouldnt call Tatars generic, they are your average horse nigger civ, which already makes them good in it's own right, but you play with cavalry archers, hussars/keshicks/steppe lancers and siege rams
>>
>>513585
Imo you should get your affairs settled before taking a boar, unless you're under a threat of being lamed, you should get 6-8 sheep gatherers, then lure boars, and then leave berries for last.

>Tower rushes and castle drops next to my base or persian/cuman douches destroy me
Sounds like you need to get good at 'Crysis management' and to keep a cold head, and to not panic.
Whats your standart reaction to these rushes?
>>
>>513591
>you will be able to get both horse collar and farm upgrade, and still be able to afford a scout rush.

Every civ can do this though. Except American civs ofc
>>
>>513600
No, not really, unless you pull an extreme specific build
>>
I haven't touched a random online multiplayer lobby in close to 20 years, but the bad ideas part of my brain is telling me it would be fun to go on ranked Definitive Edition and try 1vs3ing the lowest Elo guys I can find that are up for it, and just play like that repeatedly.

Would that be possible or would ranked force you to play even teams and/or vs players of similar ranking?
>>
>This board is so low elo that it thinks getting double bit axe in a man at arms build, or getting horse collar in a scouts build, is a special achievement

Yikes
>>
FACT: Gold Rush is the second biggest brainlet magnet map after BF
>>
>>513603
You can do uneven teams in ranked, but you can host a lobby and get noobs to join. Where's the fun on noob bashing anyways?
I'd say play and win all the campaigns on hard difficulty, then probe the waters joining random lobbies, then start doing ranked.
Alternatively, play with buddies.
>>
>>513610
Man the abyssmal difference between Gold Rush and Golden Pit always baffles me
>>
>>513608
Stop posting like a passive aggressive woman
>>
>>513610
never had a decent teammate in every black forest match i play, its either the guy who spam only one unit types only to be countered by skirms/spears, or people who "im gonna attack at imp" yet their eco is as fragile as a third world nation
>>
>>513585
For reference sheep rot rate is roughly one villager collection rate. Also food rot is less important than collecting food quicker. Hence why pros even occasionally use farm in dark age despite the horrible food to wood efficiency. It is not that important.

If you want to optimise, eat the sheep first since it gets eaten faster thus will rot less and then move onto the boar.

>>513512
>The most janky and strange civs to date.
> Bonuses that break normal tech tree rules
> First use of charge up attacks in AoE2
> First use of military builders that can also self replicate. (Supremacy villagers don't count due to still having cowardly villager AI)
> Exclusively has AoE 3 style one off unique techs.
> Soulless garbage.
>>
>>513585
3 villagers on wood is for scouts. 21 vill scouts build is too slow. For a scout (3 wood) build just use the villager that is created after the 3rd wood vill. When you get the boar under your tc you can keep it there with a bit of micro. I'll explain later.

For an infantry opening (4 on wood) after the 4th wood vill comes out, put a sheep vill in the tc and task it to the boar. Then put the rally point on the sheep so the next goes out to sheep so you have 6 again. Either of these methods will have the boar under your tc shortly before your 4th sheep runs out.

You can keep the boar under your tc pretty easily by garrisoning the hunter into the tc, and then using the back to work hotkey. If the villager was tasked to just walk somewhere, it will pop out of the tc in the last place it was and stand there doing nothing. The boar will also stand there doing nothing. You can use the vill to shoot the boar, walk away a bit, and then repeat the garrison/ungarrison process indefinitely until your shepherds are ready.

You want to use hotkeys obviously but with practice this method makes it irrelevant whether your lure timing is off.
>>
>>513777
I should clarify that you should get the boar to the middle of your tc before you garrison your villager. It's the most efficient place to collect it and it gives you time to react if it wanders off.
>>
>>513540
Lmao, how so?

>>513493
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJernsgDGGY

>>513585
Don't be such a tryhard and just play for fun without the stress. Who cares about your elo?
>>
>>513612
>but you can host a lobby and get noobs to join.
Can or cannot? The sentence makes me think you meant to say cannot.
>Where's the fun on noob bashing anyways?
You seem to be misunderstanding something here: I'm not a pro player and haven't been any good since around 2006 at the most recent, I'm rating my chances in a 1vs3 at maybe 20% odds of winning at best even against very bad players. Maybe I'm underestimating or overestimating any combination of my own skill, the skill of people who are bad at AoE2, how much of a disadvantage being 1vs3 is, etc - but I'm genuinely not expecting to win this or doing it in order to win. I just really really like asymmetrical games and rules, please miss me with boring 1vs1 with equal resources and similar units senpai.

If it turns out I always lose the 1vs3s I'll try to git gud, if it turns out I'm usually winning them then I'll offer to make it 1vs4 or whatever. I just fucking hate boring standard 1vs1 matchups and it's why I've not really wanted to play multiplayer again in many years.
>>
>>513612
>enemy team are smurfing tourneyfags to test weird build orders against people with sub 1200 ELO
>or standard 1000) +/- 1000 ELO player with basic understanding of the game(knows unit counters, basic build orders, army mixing, etc)
>my teammate is a player that just bought the game recently and spams knights into spearmens with ELO below 1000

had 2 games exactly like this, not only he send his scout rush army directly into enemy spears, he proceed to do the same with knights, and when the enemy start to spam archers, he send spears against them, and havent build any archery range, lwt alone elite skirms, its getting tiresome really
>>
>>513804
not the guy but i usually dont want to push my ELO higher than 1200, since i want to play against people with similar skills, i mean, thats what ELO are for right?
>>
>>513946
>The Chad who builds what he wants unaware of unit counters
>>
>>513610
For me, it's donjons on the hill with the gold
>>
>>513957
should just play Sicilians
>>
>>513863
>Can or cannot?
Cannot, sorry, brainfart
>>
>>514158
Is there any way to do it other than inviting friends that I don't have?
>>
>>514196
Uneven teams? Just hosting or joining lobbies.
Ranked and Quickplay dont allow uneven teams
>>
>>514202
That makes it hard for me to know if they're noobs then. I don't want my odds of winning to be zero, I'd like it to at least be close.
I can wreck face at turn based strategy games, but get overwhelmed by RTS.
>>
>>514205
It's always a dice roll with lobbies, you just stop caring and swing it, and let it be whatever it gonna be
>>
>>514210
If one guy just rolls me, I'll feel like I've wasted my time and not want to bother any more.
>>
I play ranked games at low elo, and I constantly get beaten by people who are seemingly only playing their first or second game, or at least that's what I see when I look at their stats in the post game. Are these people smurfs?
>>
ES_Sherwood_Heros bros, will we ever see our map in the ranked rotation?
>>
>>513585
After sending two vils to your first lumbercamp, use the next vil to lure the boar and send the third lumberjack after that. Boar should come in as the sheep runs out just about every time in my experience
>>
>>514497
Why don't we just have the games start in feudal age if everyone does exactly the same shit anyway?
>>
>>514498
that’s called empire wars and those are the settings the red bull tournament ran on. dark ages can vary by a lot depending on what you’re opening with in feudal and whether or not you’re rushing your opponent with militia
>>
>>514498
After the 9th villager things change and you can get one extra villager on wood, or lure deer, build a barracks or whatever, so it isn't always the same. There is this Deep Waters League event going on now where they run a modified empires wars that starts you on dark age as if you had a normal game and just made your 9th villager, maybe it could be made official.
>>
>>514498
If it starts in feudal age men at arms towers aren't an option
>>
>>514559
all the more reason to start the game in feudal
>>
>>514559
They still are. Watch Redbull Wololo 3.
>>
>>488085
I'm only a 1300 scrub but I've been toying with all in maa rushes with aztecs on quick play, tower rushing if the situation calls for it - maa into archers into boom is the safe way to play ranked at my elo but all in feudal plays are waaay more fun
>>
>>497577
I used to be in your position when I first started, getting to 1100 is literally just about learning build orders. It sucks and it's boring but you'll see results immediately once you have them down. Watch the first couple eps of hera's guide to 2k series on his youtube, it'll get you started
>>
>>500340
I think burgundians should just be buffed to play more into their power spike strat of fast imp paladins, make them kinda similar to tatars - do one thing well at one specific point of the game

>>500597
I don't think the solution is to buff donjons but rather just make them cheaper, leave them at slightly better towers than can produce units which would make their tower rushes deadly. Ideally you'd find a way to have them play more towards tower rushing for the reasons pros regularly tower rush, to break walls or deny forward resources, rather than turning them into another koreans or incas type civ, and having an maa type unit get produced on the front lines already nudges them in that direction over straight towers but I'm not sure how you would discourage the more gimmick style tower rushes that don't work against anyone competent
>>
>>501294
Production buildings and/or TC's - drop a mango then a ram if you're especially secured. Knocking out a couple ranges/stables and a TC is enough to force a resign.
>>
>>504009
rush down the noob in feudal, if the other guy is good enough to 2v1 you you were never gonna win anyway
>>
>>511445
just start watching t90's low elo legends videos
>>
>>514916
funny enough, the third match of that day it is me carrying my utter noob teammate that spams only longbow+crossbow agains his direct enemy who spams only cav archer, and he still spams archers even when the hun player switched to skirms. meanwhile my direct enemy is a lithuanian player who relentlessly spams leitis and paladins to my halbs, iirc i was using spain back then. still cannot fathom people trying to get into ranked without even understanding the most basic of the gameplay - unit counters, even though the art of war tutorial is there
>>
>>512865
this, used to play goths back then when i was a noob, also creating units(unique units at that) instantly at a cheap spammable building definitely attracts newbies that thought that UU are everything
>>
>>514883
desu i rarely managed to pull off a good MAA rush unless the enemy is a retard too, they got countered by foodless unit easily (thus having them get into castle age earlier is possible even tho when being rushed), and theyre slow enough unless youre playing with celts so catching up fleeing enemy vills are hard, should i mix them with skirms or trushes?
>>
>>515002
If they're going archers you have to match with your own or counter with skirms, obviously, and if they're going straight 2 range archers you need to make sure you deal damage with your initial maa/drush to get ahead to make your one range work, or you'll be forced to wall up and skirm defend until castle, which isn't an ideal position. I've just been lucky in queuing up against a lot of cav civs in quick play though, where endless maa spam against scouts works wonders.
>>
>>515015
i read a guide online that if youre pulling a MAA rush you should target/deny their gold and woodproduction first so they couldnt sustain the archer production. but i might try to bring some skirms next time i do MAA rush with aztecs again, usually i pair them up with eagle scouts but they cost a lot of gold and theyre created very slowly, even tho theyre a decent counter against archers, could easily chase vills, and got low food cost
>>
>>515041
Hitting a wood line or gold against someone going 2 range archers is deadly, yea. You can end the game there and then if you manage to deny. You can mix in skirms if the situation calls for it but play it by ear, and obviously never wait for skrims first before moving out - an maa rush relies on it's speed.
>>
>>515060
but against cav civ, denying food is kinda hard tho, since maa going near to the farms is a death sentence, soo i guess i bring some spears(in case he still got gold and food to surprise me with knights-in case he managed to get to castle age earlier) or archers?
>>
>>515088
you're meant to hit berries if they're going scouts, but either way just delaying them until you can get a handful of maa on the field with +1 armor is enough to shut down a scout rush, and cus they're investing so much food you can keep them in feudal way longer and advance your lead
>>
>>515150
thanks for the tips mate, ive been abandoning MAA rushes and meso civs because my losing streak with em, now ive been playing either as the franks or berbers because they got tanky(franks) /cheap cavs (berbers) and scrush->knights are easier to execute(or recover to if youre getting countered) on subpar ELO matches (1100-1200) than MAA rushes
>>
>>514883
>maa into archers into boom is the safe way to play ranked at my elo
it's pretty much the default way to play at any elo where people have an idea what they are doing

maa opening has no flaws
>>
>>515002
If the man at arms are inside they can do damage, keep your scout healthy, it can block villagers to allow man at arms to kill them and pick off weak villagers
>>
>>514981
>Being afraid of Hun skirms
Longbows do 5 damage and can take them out in 7 hits
>>
>>515543
problem is my teammate production is 2 times behind the enemy hun player, he could only muster 1 longbow+7 xbow(not arbalest since i guess hes poor) at once. i bet even light cavs are a better counter against them since they cost no gold
>>
>>515347
What if they wall of their wood line and gold mines in dark age?
>>
>>516129
then you've forced them to spend vilseconds and resources walling
>>
>>516228
But they spent plentiful wood or stone they don't need yet and you spent food that keeps you from going feudal or castle as fast
>>
>>515347
I hear as you get higher the maa rush turns more into a drush and then you could boom off of that without the archers if you wanted/it goes well but yea pretty much
>>
>>516129
Simply being aggressive can throw your opponent off or deny them the ability to do what they wanted to in peace. You may not cause much in terms of material damage (though you also may cause plenty) but you can force your opponent into taking actions they otherwise wouldn't and in turn keep them from pressuring you.
>>
>play a quick match against a lith player
>using aztecs
>map is ghost lake
>trying to rush the enemy at feudal with MAA+skirm combo
>enemy got double size of archer compared to my measly raiding party of 12
>also i fucked up since when i found the enemy base im still taking care of things at my base
>play defensively because i cant afford another lose
>managed to get to castle much more earlier than him
>kills his archer with mangos, skirms, and eagles
>"thats a bit nooby"
>massive copium taken
>then i wall off some section near my area to establish map control
>but somehow he managed to push through my right flank with his leitis spam
>counter it easily with massive pike spam from 7 barracks
>he only brought several crossbow as support that i dispatch easily with only 15 skirms
>"noob turtler"
>coping this hard
>spams TCs and boom hard so i could sustain production even more
>gets called turtler again
>final desperate push of (again) another leitis spam
>reach imperial
>build 5 trebs
>destroy his forward castle
>"gg noob turtler"
>resigns instantly

apparently being in a defensive after youre taking a massive loss and 3 consecutive strikes to your base(that managed to break through) is a noob tactic, and mind you im not even walling aggresively or laming his resource
>>
>>516228
i always wall no matter if im rushing or booming, shit really important, also after 2nd house i always place the house as a part of the wall, maybe i spent more time walking but atleast getting saved from a scrush is always worth it
>>
>>517897
Sounds like the average lith picker to me
>>
>>517914
>getting saved from a scrush is always worth it
Or you know, you can just rush the opponent back
>>
File: 1549667867186.gif (994 KB, 500x500)
994 KB
994 KB GIF
Is medium difficulty too high for greenhorn shitters such as myself?
That 2nd chapter with the Franks in the Maid of Orleans felt kind of brutal.
If there's one thing I did learn (among other things) from bashing my head against that level was that castles solve all nuisances, especially with the university upgrades.
>>
>>519552
I can give you a bunch of advices.
Once you get to Orleans, scout the nrothwest side of your base, and wall there, this will prevent from red raiding you on the west side of your base
At the bridge to the south of orleans, wall the bridge and the little path betwen the city and the shorline. Put a castle on that bridge so you can secure it. A few mangodels or throwing axemen will handle any ram, due the low cap, 1 mangonel will do the trick.
After that, you have now a lot of room to peacefully boom on the now completely west side of orleans, place a few TCs and several farms.
Also, Towers alone can easily handle most of red attacks, tho there's a catch.
The way the game is coded, if you rescue grey aegis units, and/or you get units transfered from another player to you, these units will NOT benefit from future upgrades you research.
For example, if you rescue a militia in dark age, said militia wont be affected by any ups, will never become a champion and it will be just a waste of pop space.
With that in mind, do not be afraid of losing Orleans rescued towers, you can delete them, place your own guard towers, fully upgrade them, place 5 crossbows inside and watch them annihilate everything red throws at you except rams. TAs (Throwing Axemen) can easily handle rams.
Move out to red with knights, castle drops and 3-5 rams full with throwing axemen.

There, easy.
>>
>>519564
Thanks.
>>
>>517897
>NOOOO YOU CANT USE VALID TACTICS AND BASIC GAMEPLAY MECHANICS LIKE UNIT COUNTERS AND WIN THE GAME!
fucking lith shitter lmao
>>
Why is team islands an option in the 1v1 map pool?
>>
>>511238
Actually Terrible if you don't scout most of your enemy's resources in time and it's very easy to have bad eco behind it. Also, if your opponent's scout stayed home to circle around for dears it's not gonna achieve much at all. The best way to do a pre mill drush as Lithuanians is with fast feudal into MAA and archers. Send 6 on food 5 on wood with lumber camp next to build 2 houses and barracks then the rest on food. Click up 21 vils (25/25 pop with 1 scout 3 militia) and loom.
>>
>new to the game
>playing through the campaigns
>standard is a joke
>medium is overwhelming, but doable if I try again and again
>don't even want to consider hard
How do I deal with getting swarmed by multiple enemies over time? Am I playing too passively?
>>
>>522382
>Am I playing too passively?
Yes or you simply dont turtle hard enough
>>
>>522382
That, and you're doing things / progressing too slowly.
Think of it this way: it is possible to get the same military at the same time as 'playing aggressively', but be in a later age with a better economy with the ability to field an even larger one if you just do things quicker and more efficiently.

Basically, you could plan to have some military out by a time (say 15 or 20 minutes in), but just try to be ad advanced as possible before producing it, or something like that.
>>
>>488085
Spanish Supremacy
>>
>play 1v1 arena against Mongols
>slow game with both players booming until imperial age
>enemy builds forward castle
>approach it with an army including 4 trebuchets
>enemy doesn't have an army big enough to defend the castle
>immediately resigns
Godfuckingdammit! Games are supposed to be fun.
>>
Did the Khmer, or anyone else for that matter, really put ballistas on top of elephants?
>>
How do you counter a Celt scorpion spam?
>>
>>523178
Onagers.
>>
>>522968
yes
>>
>>523539
these niggas missing a couple of blacksmith upgrades
>>
>>523178
Onagers and hussars, to lesser extend bombard cannons

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.