[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 89 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Tropico4_Box.jpg (176 KB, 800x990)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
Probably one of my favorite citybuilders out there, does a good job of managing flavor and gameplay. Atleast at first.
Sadly now it's a very fine example of quality going down entry by entry, though I feel that Five deserves credit for actually trying something new by forcing you to use the same islands again and again as opposed to you just being able to create an unsustainable money machine to just hit an objective with, but Four makes the best sandbox between options and general appearance and the alternative objectives you can pick lending the campaign a higher replayability factor.

Anyone else got any takes on these games? Hopes for a new game developer that'll actually take us back towards proper Dictator simulator, or do you think that sort of thing just won't be allowed to fly any more?
>>
File: tropico2betademo.jpg (137 KB, 710x533)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
Which one are you?
>I love 6 - youtuber struggling for content
>5 has really cool eras and I can side with the axis - player with 5 hours playtime
>4 is the best, 5 is just Modern Times but worse and made by a different dev team with no respect for the original - player who "bought" it in the 99% off sale
>3 is the best, 4 is just a copy - player who has a point if you joined at 3 or get with the times grandpa, serialisation made it good, if you joined at 4+
>2 has the best soundtrack and is the most fun - player pretending they didn't savescum pirate raids and also pretending they understand the difference between the ships, and also pretending they didn't have to edit an ini file to remove lag
>1 is THE BEST dictator sim, baka 3+ don't even have the option to be fascist and weren't by the original BEST studio - player who doesn't realise no-one wants to play a game in 300x300 with a terrible UI
>>
File: havana.jpg (174 KB, 1200x675)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>487081
I really liked the different era's in 5. It allowed to build a historic city centre. You can't have this kind of aesthetic in 4. The main problem I have with 5 is that the game is too easy. The economic difficulty is fine but the great powers barely do anything even when you upset them. 3 and 4 are more or less the same but I don't really like the aesthetics, all the buildings are concrete blocks, look rundown or just look like a pile of rubble. 5 maybe has a bit too few of these kind of buildings but you can have a decent mix with older buildings. I haven't played 6, I don't like the mechanic that lets you steal famous buildings, it's dumb.

I would prefer if these games were a bit more serious in the diplomatic side of things. Cold War era must always be the focus of these games because it was the era that allowed banana republics to exist for various reasons. It would be really cool if the goal of the game was to play the Sovjets and the Americans against eachother but always keep them from getting too angry that they'll start taking steps against you. A bit like playing a minor nation in Paradox games.
>>
>>487375
I like both 3 and 4. Fifth game never hooked me. Didn't play first, second and sixth.
>>
>>487490
what this guy said
>>
I only ever played the first 2. Sometimes I did bullshit tyrant runs with the shortest reigns to see what I can get away with. Farmer installed by KGB was my go to option.
>>
>>487375
4 is the last one with soul and introduce good mechanics. 5 & 6 are just shitty copies of each other.
>>
>>487625
What are you on about. 4 is almost an exact copy of 3.
>>
4 and 3 really are lightning in the bottle. Their idea of making the setting more like that of golden era spanish film fit what the game was going for and made it really stand out compaired to other builders. However it just kept going down hill from there loosing focus on what made the game fun and unique. 5 and 6 are just pure dogshit. The buildings don't have any sort of charm or consistancy. The humor is so over the top and meta zanny. 5 and 6 literally was them just chaning the game for the sake of it when 3 and 4 pretty much perfected the basic formula of how Tropico should be. I honestly have no idea how to even turn a profit in 5 or 6 and the way everything works just don't make any sense. I guess it's still good that 6 was still considered a succes, or maybe not. It's been awhile since I have heard any news about Tropico.
>>
4 is the last game where your soldiers were actually shooting each other as people and where you could have massive thousand people revolts. I remember building large cities as a kid and then making it revolt so I could watch my citizens gun down each other on the streets.
>>
>>487375
>2 has the best soundtrack
Said nobody, ever
>>
>>487664
Nta, but 4 is an improvement of 3's mechanics.
5 meanwhile is a shitpile of ideas that clearly go nowhere in particular, then 6 took that and piled some more.
>>
File: FUCK ME!.gif (3.21 MB, 556x242)
3.21 MB
3.21 MB GIF
>>487814
>4
>as a kid
At first I was "underage", but then I did the math
>>
>>487837
feelin old anon?
>>
>>487842
Not old, but I'm 37 and thus way too old for this place. Plus I keep forgetting this isn't /vr/, despite common overlap.
>>
Kek, I just realised the same people who made Tzar are behind Tropico 3-5 and Surviving the Mars, out of all titles.
>>
>>487375
>and also pretending they didn't have to edit an ini file to remove lag
Tell me more
>>
>>487814
What happened when there was a revolt in T5 and 6? I dug the individual character focus in Tropico even if it wasn't particularly fleshed out. Was cool being able to follow citizens and watch them go about their day, black bag them if they piss you off, brainwash a generation to support you, and watch your brainwashed minions fight with the commies you neglected. Were they just replaced with generic rebels or something in T5? It's been such a minute I don't even remember.

It was also a bit disappointing that for all the political mechanics in Tropico none of them really mattered. I would intentionally pick "high democratic expectations" just to make it spicier but you had to be a complete fucking retard to lose the electoral vote and even then you had several backup plans to stay in power with little consequence.
>>
>>487904
>What happened when there was a revolt in T5 and 6?
The maximum number of geurillas and insurgents were capped, so a 'revolution' was pretty lame.
Hell, in 6 they didn't even destroy buildings if they won. Just set them on fire, the only time they're ever a threat is if they hit your power plants but more often than not they wind up focusing on factories.
>>
>>487904
In addition to the above I don't think your soldiers even die if their squad is defeated. very lame.
>>
Did anyone even try the Multiplayer in Tropico 5?
How the fuck did it even work?
>>
>>487851
Idon't blame them from dropping out when T6 was in plans. Didn't their head designer said openly they've run out of ideas with 5?
>>
>>488210
it didn't
>>
Is Tropico 4 really the best one?
It looks quite visually ugly.
>>
>>488676
idk if it's the best one but it's definitely where things started to go a bit wrong. It still is a great game, though
>>
>>488676
Tropico 4 is almost exactly the same game as Tropico 1 except with 3D graphics and a few more buildings and edicts
>>
>>488676
SOVL isn't about graphics anon
>>
used to play tropico loads, it was great. got bored during quarantine, downloaded number 6 to give it a whirl. played for like two weeks and dropped it. didn't really enjoy it, kept losing money, refused to look up guides and so i haven't played it since.
>>
>>488960

T4 plays nothing like T1. None of the Tropicos play like the first one honestly. 3 and 4 play the same with 4 have a lot more stuff and bug fixes.
>>
>>488676
It goes like this:
Tropico 1 was a flawed gem. It's a good game, but has a whole lot of quirks and majority of difficulty in it comes from combination of bad pathfinding and limited range/speed matrix of your population.
Tropico 3 introduced a whole fucking lot of QoL improvements, but itself was a flawed game, that still had variety of issues. It was still a very solid modernisation of the original, but playing almost completely differently.
Tropico 4 took 3 and basically said "what if we patch the shit out of the game, add more QoL and maybe a new campaign". And it worked out really great, so a bunch of DLC campaigns and add-ons followed.
So the reason why people cite it as the best is because it's a solid improvement of 3 and a generally speaking good game on its own. But it's relation to the original game is pretty shaky, since by fixing 3's issues, it moved even further away from the original, for better or worse.

>>489065
>soulfags advanced to sovlfaggotry now
Fuck off, faggot. This meme was shit, but you cunts made it even more annoying.
>>
>>488676
Also, important note:
Tropico 5 and then 6 are just fucking awful, providing the "ugly friend" effect. It's not that 4 was so fantastic, it's that it was a genuine improvement to previous game, followed by two stinkers. As such, it appears far better than it really is to many people, hence the conviction that it's the best out there.
My advice: play 1, 3 and 4 and pick on your own which is the best. 5 is just pile of shitty ideas wrapped in even worse campaign, and the less is said about sole fact 6 exists, the better. They wanted to make money, plain and simple, even if the formula reached its peak in 4 and there really wasn't anything new to add.
>>
>>487866
https://steamcommunity.com/app/33530/discussions/0/624075566791638555/
><steam directory>\steamapps\common\tropico 2 (ini text file) u can edit it.
>and modify SoftwareDevice=0 into
>SoftwareDevice=1
Without it the game runs at a crawl.
Dunno what it actually changes.
>>
>>489815
Oh, just turning software mode on. You can do that ingame. It makes some of the graphics worse.
>>
>>488210
What >>488595 said.

It was just single player on the same map as someone else.
Nothing to write home about.
You had to worry more about era invasions killing your run than the other player speedrunning to whichever lame win condition the host picked, since unlike single player you can't savescum when you forget how big an army you need to deal with the "Get fucked" invasion events.
>>
File: Nick_Richards.png (89 KB, 220x290)
89 KB
89 KB PNG
>>488676
Not really any more or less than the others unless you go by polygon count (which gets noticeable when modern times has cleaner, flatter textures).
It had more alternate building styles than later games to remove repetition, and you could manually create gardens rather than use preset tiles.

It's more likely the "best" because it's the most popular because of that steam sale.
I really liked how it was the first one to use proper caricatures. 5's looked meh (and 3 of the women looked exactly the same) and 6 stopped using caricatures, don't know why.
>>
>>488676
Four was the peak of polish before they started turning it back in the sequels. In it you have
>A well voiced presidente doing the intros and outros, as well as the election speeches, allowing some characterization
>The advisors and faction heads had actual character between their demands as well as their appearances on the radio
>The buildings had somewhat realistic wear and tear appropriate to what you'd imagine they'd look like in a third world shithole, even if it's weird that all of your canneries are hit with the same graffiti tag as soon as they're built.
>the citizens can be followed around their daily life, all speak spanish when selected, and models change based on employment. Some work places restrict employees based on sex (for better or for worse) so it becomes rather interesting to see how the population develops over time
As other anons say it's more or less a scrubbed and polished 3, not that similar to 1 but still a great game that focuses on the banana republic angle as opposed to trying to ape the City Skylines\Anno games that 6 seems to lean more towards.
>>
>>489078
>kept losing money, refused to look up guides and so i haven't played it since.
They really pushed the whole trade deal angle, so they cut down on how much you got to make on flat exports until you reach the modern era and research a specific constitution section. Also as they moved away from being able to set specific budgets for buildings in favor of vague tiers it's very easy to have those costs creep up on you.
>>
Real talk, which one had the best soundtrack?
5 had a lot of issues, but this was one of my favorite themes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iwywj1X_Dk
>>
>>490093
Probably the only redeeming feature of 5
>>
>>489950
>Some work places restrict employees based on sex
I admit that one was cumbersome, Like, powerplant requiring college women and tying the output to the number of workers.
>>
File: 3462.jpg (114 KB, 800x600)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
The obligatory boomer post. I just wish that T1 had cars.
>>
tropico's 6 soundtrack feels really generic. 4 was great cause it had a lot of songs that had lyrics with them, with 6 and no vocals the tracks really blend together for me.
>>
>>490737
Tourism is really obscenely good when you get surplus monthly from industry that's almost entirely uneducated proles.
>>
>>490093
I like the soundtrack of 4 more but that's because it's burned into my memory whereas I only played a few hours of 5 and 6, never touched the others. I think you can safely say that the music is one of the strong points of the series in general, in how comfy it is and how well it gets you in the mood, and also how unusual it is for a vidya soundtrack. I'm a fan of dramatic strings as much as the next guy, but it's really nice to hear something different once in a while
>>
>>490093
>>490876
>>491133

3 is my favorite since it has a lot of actual liscend songs with lyrics in it. I didn't like 4 or 5 that much cause the music wasn't as high paced and dancy. While 6 doesn't have lyrics the music is much more upbeat and really makes you want to mombo.
>>
If 4 is basically 3 but fixed, is it worth it to get 3 if one has played 4 extensively?
>>
>>491215
Worth pirating at least. The scenarios aren't anything spectacularly interesting but I like them, the storylines are cool
>>
>>489926
>don't know why.
New, clueless dev
>>
>>490967
I never managed to get tourism work in T1. Ever. It was always a clusterfuck
>>
>>487081
I’ve only played VI and it’s very ok. A lot of ideas seem bolted on, and I can’t imagine anyone finding much joy in the very simplistic logistics system. I find myself frustrated by it a lot because there’s not a great way to prioritize things so a ship can leave with, like, mostly fish while I have a weapons factory almost at capacity. I’ll be honest once I found Workers & Resources I never really felt the desire to play VI again because W&R does what it tries to do better and with a cooler aesthetic.
>>
>>491877
All you have to do is start with cheap hotels and beach crap and work your way up. Maybe even make a tourist only dock with one worker so they don't have to go through filthy suburbs.
>>
>>491957
The problem I always have with tourist is the standard issue of T1 - logistics.
I need to build entire subtown for workers that support tourism, along with local farm, or else nobody ever reaches the buildings/dies from lack of food/medic cover/gets pissy due to no churches etc. If I build meanwhile turism stuff in my actual town, then tourists instead get pissy about polution, ugly shit, farms etc.
Fuck that. All I really need in T1 is a terrace farm of coffee, pineapple and sugar cane. Makes all the money in the world and then cranks into an overdrive once cannery is build. I don't even bother with rum (space), because sugar by itself is decent commodity.
>>
>>491995
I love going farmer background and cranking out ranches for smoked beef.
>>
>>492008
Why bother, when you can have coffee?
Seriously, coffee by itself is such an excellent export good, and once packed turns into insanity. Add electricity and it sells for the most of all goods you can make. Meanwhile all cattle is doing is degrading the land.
>>
>>492021
Because ranches require fuck all manpower or investment. No factory, no electricity, no education. I sometimes play horribly short reigns or with no immigration too.
>>
>>491904
>plays the worst game and moves on
>soviet shithole aesthetic is cooler than banana republic shithole aesthetic
to each his own I guess. I bet there's not even one salsa track in W&R
>>
>>492030
Coffee farm requires twice as many people (which is still fuck-all), is cheaper to build, doesn't degrade shit, outproduces three ranches (so it's more manpower-efficient) and the goods, even in rawest form, sell for more than even smoked beef.
Seriously, why would you bother with ranches at all? It's one of the least beneficial (note the word - "beneficial", not "profitable") thing to build in the long run and very quickly turns into a problem instead.
>>
>>492030
>>492258
Also, keep in mind that your own population might eat what ranches produce, but has zero interest in coffee in any form.
>>
>>491995
>need to build entire subtown for workers that support tourism
Sounds like real life, eh? But seriously, tourism is probably the most fun way to make money.
>>
>>491995

It's acutally not that hard. Just make a sandwich with tourisim all along the coast, our civic buildings behind it and then farms and what not on the other side of the homes. That way tourisim is far enough from the ugly stuff but your population is close enough to both farms and their job. I'd actually say tourisim is much easier since all you really need is uneducated workers and there is zero need for teamsters.
>>
>>491995
I feel like I'm reading exactly why tropico never got to hit its full potential.
I don't want a magic cash crop that does everything, wtf? That's fucking boring. Having to build a downtown district for tourists and service industry workers, separate from the peasant farmers and their cow shit, separate from the industrial district, and having to maintain the supply lines so one rebel bomb doesn't accidentally dismantle my entire operation - that actually sounds appealing.
>>
>>490093
I vote for 1
I didn't like what 5 and 6 did but they still did a bang up job
>>
>>490093
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxmkh6FQsE
>>
What are you supposed to do when livestock ruins soil quality?
Does it come back?
Does it matter for livestock?
>>
>>492443
Sounds like another episode of "Tropico 1 wasn't difficult - it just had shit-tier pathfinding and range of walkers"
>>
>>492503
>t. never actually played Tropico 1
Ask me how I know.
>>
>>493132
Don't have livestock
Yes, but at extremely slow pace, roughtly 1/4th of how fast you are depleting it
Yes, since it decrease the productivity (duh)
Eventually you end up with all the pastures simply overgrazed and never having enough time to recover. The ranch is still productive enough to maintain itself, but it's forever shit-soil, unless you dismantle the whole operation.
>>
>>492503
What the other anon said - you never played the original
>magic cash crop
Coffee requires hills. Pretty high ones. It ONLY grows on top of them and only if they are high enough. You know what's the biggest bane of any given island in the original game? Hills. Because they make all constructions extremely long and often just flat-out impossible. This is the reason why coffee is so expensive to trade with: because you will need all the money you can get to somehow ammend for the fact your islant is a highland clusterfuck.
On top of that, it grows for 10 fucking years before first harvest. Good luck surviving until then, if you don't have any sort of other income sources.
>Solving unsolvable shit - that actually sounds appealing.
Only that (a) you will never manage to do that or (b) run out of time when trying and (c) unless you are playing a sandbox, this is counter-productive. Original is not Tropico 3 nor 4, where you can have industry, agriculture, tourists and still have free space, funds for construction, sufficient population and proper amount of food and services. Original is a game where having more than 100 people on your island is a fucking logistical disaster, because people will be constantly unsatisfied, underfed and everything will be both understaffed and overcrowded in the same time. The original game actively forced you to cut corners, play dirty and just fucking get out to next mission ASAP, or you were getting fucked over by the game. And it wasn't just rebels, those were the easiest to deal with (by simply not generating any). It's just the amount of micro and intentionally designed inability to deal with all the problems your population beyond 50 or so people is going to generate.

Go play original. It's a fine game. Just don't claim insane bullshit about "muh challenge", where you clearly have no clue how the game even works.
>>
>Ghost bumping
If you want to keep a thread around, give us material to discuss, you dingus, instead of ghosting the thread
>>
>>488210
>playing with a random
>he disconects
>playing with another one
>he's a lame troll who builds roads all over my part of the island
>playing with frens
>one loses the war for independence and another one get COUP'D on world wars era

>>488676
It had soul, there's like 1 or 2 radio commentaries for every shit you do or is currently happening in the game.
>>
File: Sunny_Flowers.png (92 KB, 220x290)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
>>498586
>radio commentaries
I was upset when 5 decided to ditch banter between radio co-hosts.

Then again it'd probably just be filled with dated references like half the side missions.
>>
>>487375
i really enjoyed the original. loved seeing individual resources get hauled around production lines. sort of like a really unresponsive factorio.

>>490737
Soul levels off the charts.
>>
>>487375
>and also pretending they understand the difference between the ships
Smaller ships are faster and can catch up to prey. Big ships are slower but can take on bigger prey. Send both out at the same time so the smaller ships can intercept the enemy and let your big ship catch up to fuck them up.
>>
>>487450
I also think that with every new Tropico we stray further away from the goal - commie Havana simulator.
Modern age is always a crutch to make a comically urbanized island.
>>
>>498838
The problem with commie Havana simulator is that it's no longer a thing by itself. The reason why from T3 onward it's less and less about that and more and more about just city building is to no big part a result how Cuba itself changed, along with variety of other Caribbean shitholes.
Reminder the original came out in early '01 and the actual game was finished almost two years earlier, simply struggling with a publisher deal
>>
>>498838
Also, uncle Fidel is dead for quite a while and wasn't out in public for even longer.
In fact, Raul might join him soon, given he's 90
>>
>>499092
>>499097
I think this is the problem is the very essence of totalitarian comunism.
Hard to simulate it when you are actually developing the island, instead of managing a post-revolutionary colony.
You always turn profit and are never forced to "downscale" the population.
>>
>>499186
>You always turn profit and are never forced to "downscale" the population.
... have you tried playing the original, then? Because it's very much as >>494843 described. There is a very, VERY small window of ballance on the population-quality of life-income matrix and it's extremely easy to trash said balance. Majority of campaign is about managing your island in specific, pre-set conditions, too, something that was also kept in 3 and 4. And making profit is rarely a goal, especially in the original, where points are not from how well your island is doing, but how much did you steal for yourself - a feat divorced from good performance.
>>
3 and 4 are the best, easily. 3 had a little more soul but 4 has better gameplay but still soul. so i play 4
>>
>>487832
I did
>>
>>487834
Only casuals who don't understand gameplay in the first place think that adding cement factory is an improvement.
>>
>>499224
On tropico 4 at least you can try going full exploit mode paying 1 shekel for them or full fucked up economy and paying insanely high wages.
>>
>>487375
jeeze what is this schizopost. 4 is objectively just 3 with more content.
>>
I've played a lot of Tropico but its ludicrous that there's a 4th, 5th, and 6th entry in this series because the differences between them are so minute its a joke. They blur almost seamlessly with very few new additions and lazy DLC additions (e.g. I think it was 4 that had "subway DLC" which consists of just two or more buildings that teleport citizens from one point of the map to another).
Kalypso is a scummy company.
>>
>>487081
3 had the best soundtrack but 4 is literally just an improvement.
>>
>>501308
The dev for 3-5 simply quit on them, so fucking figure. And the only reason they've finished 5 was a penalty they would have to pay for not making that game.
>>
>>501308
I mean they're scumbags but fuck me if those subways aren't god-tier for traffic management.
>>
>>501283
>schizopost
>already had anons responding by acting out what it greentexted
>>501514
I remember building roads that relieved congestion and then subways made that irrelevant.
>>
>>487848
Average /vst/ age is between 30 and 45, prove me wrong
>>
>>502755
Assuming we ignore the HoI4 posters, possibly.
>>
>>502755
Average /vst/ age is actaully between 20 to 30, with SOME overlap with people who came from /vr/ being 30+.
Which is also why we have so many people utterly clueless about shit that was released more than a decade ago and how incompetent they are at piracy and similar activities.
Still better than regular /v/, but last time I was on /v/, it was '12, so my point of reference is a bit wonky
>>
File: v.png (604 KB, 1846x646)
604 KB
604 KB PNG
>>504498
>and how incompetent they are at piracy and similar activities.
Most people don't pirate and half the people who do rely on friends to walk them through it
>so my point of reference is a bit wonky
Not pictured: countless anime titty threads and cosplayer ass threads. /v/ is still underaged and can't figure out how to get to porn websites.
>>
>>504599
>that pic
Jesus fuck...
>>
I started with 3 from the old threads on /v/. I tried 4 but it was too easy (3 was easy enough already), 3 had the best soundtrack, and 3 had better graphics than 4. I installed both and compared the graphical details of both 3 and 4, and 3 really is better, which is why 4 performs better.
>>
>>504816
>worse art makes a game perform better
>>
>>504820
I suspect they dialed back the settings. For example, the maximum view distance in 3 is way farther than the maximum view distance in 4.
>>
>>504816
>>504823
>Engine gets better optimisation
>Muh worse graphics
But at least we know for sure you come from /v/
>>
>>504981
Why are you so sensitive? I'm not insulting you.
The engine may be better optimized, but be that as it may, the graphics is just not as good. Look for screenshots of 3 and 4 and compare them side by side. 4 just doesn't look as good as 3.
>>
>>487375
Tropico 2 is great. Massively underrated.
>>
>>505044
Why are you projecting so hard?
>Here is my side-by-side
>Without actual side-by-side
/v/tardation is hell of a drug
>>
>>505147
Here, let me remind why people hate it so much
>>
>>505149
>/v/tardation is hell of a drug
It's the best the street has to offer right now.
>>
>>505791
You clearly only checked the single, closest street, fag
>>
>>487081
Never tried this series. Which one is the best?
>>
>>505894
Different people, different vibes, but you can't go wrong with playing original, 3 and 4. Completely ignore 5 and 6, that's for sure, while 2 is pretty much a curiosity, rather than comparable game to others.
If you plan to play just one, play 4. If you plan to get the "whole" package, 1, 3 and 4 are up for grabs.
>>
>>505897
>Completely ignore 5 and 6,
Thanks.

so just like Civilization.
>>
>>505899
If the series would start with Civ 2 and Tropico 2 is Call to Power, then yes.
>>
>>505899
Just remember that the original game doesn't have cars. This affects things a whole fucking lot.
>>
>>505155
>unupgraded houses
You only need ~3 for the only people who have gold to stash and that's later on when you have a booming wood economy.
Before then it's not an issue because those pirate captains are low level.
>>505899
You can also ignore 4's Modern Times. The game's only difficulties are road jams and too many immigrants (in a short span, like Dorf Fort), and that DLC solves both so well the devs added a "Get 100 uneducated migrants" button.
>>
>>505978
The point could hit you in the face and you would still insist T2 is great
>>
>>507637
The houses and wood economy aren't a real problem if you know what you're doing. The real problem is the decor system. Either way I'd still call tropico 2 one of the best games I ever played
>>
The series has lost its rooting somewhat. The hook was simulating a Caribbean dictator. In Tropico 6 you just optimize drone delivery systems. What the hell happened.

Tropico 4 already feels like an Anno clone with some latin flavor. Most of the buildings you can construct are tourism related and one of the most important factions are environmentalists. Hope you have enough garages! Feels like it was developed by people who once went on holiday to Barbados and think they understand how small island nations operate. You really need to outsource the development of Tropico 7 to some studio in Venezuela.
>>
>>510372
The political system has been completely dumbed down.
>>
>>505044
I replayed 3 and the brown&bloom was very frustrating.
4 has a better pallete.
>>
>>510372
The understanding of the world became too 1st world focused.
The Nationalists are fucking English skinheads for fuck sake! Those people really need to learn how factions were created in latin america.

Then again its a rather hard task to portray modern latino world when you try to be
a "wholesome dictator simulator" and avoid drugs and mafias.
>>
>>487848
dont worry grandpa ill help you cross the street
>>>/vr/
>>
>>487375
i love 3. it was the most comfiest for me. i tried getting into 4 and thought it was overwhelming. i tried 5 and the game sucks with its constant bombardment of tasks.
3's scenarios have the best balance of things to do and time needed to beat them. in 5 they immediately give you everything in the first scenario so i didnt feel like doing any other scenario
>>
>>510418
>Bulgarians struggle to deliver a proper Caribbean feel
Who would have expected.
But what makes it ironic is that 1 and 2 were made by a bunch of Yanks from St. Louis and they've nailed it.

>>510433
/vr/ is currently a zommer central, because in his utmost retardation gook moot, instead of creating a /v2r/ for post-2000 games, just moved the barrier to 2007. Cue flood of /v/tards and the worst kind of /v/ shitposting. This went so far, certain generals and their users just quit entirely.
>>
>>510418
The absolute worst faction were loyalists though, they didn't make sense.
>>
>>504981
>engine is worse at things
>"optimisation"
u mad
>>
>>510793
>contrarian claim against the reality
>"quotation marks"
meds?
>>
>>510594
They make perfect sense. If you don't understand the kind of people they represent, I kind of envy you the fact you aren't familiar with the concept of actual, rather than meme bootlickers
>>
>>510970
I simply didn't like how they were implemented, imho they shouldn't have been a faction but a number telling you how many people were loyal to you.
>>
>>487081
my fav is 4
is 6 any good?
>>
>>510996
You've just downgraded yourself from "I have no bootlickers in my country's politics" to "I am retarded".
Shame

>>511010
It seems that 6 was made with the following mindset:
"What went wrong in 5 and how can we make it worse".
>>
>>511040
Were they improved at all from Tropico 3? Because they sucked ass when they were added in Absolute Power, the only two demands they seemed to have was build a "Childhood Museum" and not hold elections.
>>
>>512262
And demanding bunch of heavy-handed means of running the island.
Essentially, Loyalists role in the game was to at least partially force player to impose situations like in the original game, where you had to use heavy-handed means. From 3 onward, you don't really need those to run the island, BUT if Loyalists are particularly numerous or powerful, you have to deal with their insane demands, or else you run into problems with them.
Not the perfect solution, but hey, they've tried
>>
>>512295
I always thought of the loyalists as "the pres party".
>>
>>512472
Which they are. Which makes them retarded. Which makes them demand retarded things.
The game has unironically a script where loyalists can only be stupid. In other words - put some effort into eduction and they will die out.
>>
File: Propaganda_Tower.png (866 KB, 542x712)
866 KB
866 KB PNG
>>513748
>The game has unironically a script
Which game?
4 had various buildings that just made people loyalists and the (DLC?) propaganda tower would convert everyone to the faction if you strategically placed one on an unavoidable commute. Elections would result in 1 vote for your (forced by the simulation) opponent, every other vote for you.
In fact given that building work modes and auras enlist faction members, I'm sceptical anything stops someone from signing up beyond belonging to an opposite faction, or indirect effects like too stupid to go to college so doesn't roll the dice again on becoming an intellectual (if colleges do that).

Yeah their demands were retarded and unfortunately they were the easiest to please thanks to not caring about service quality (and unlike 3, didn't require the frankly harmful statue count relative to population).
>>
>>514036
I meant the natural formation of loyalists, not any means of converting people. Similarly, if you set schools for military/religious education, you will end up with super-high number of militarists/fundies.
>>
I've only played Tropico 1 and Tropico 2. I loved Tropico 1, but I never really understood the mechanics of Tropico 2.

What I'd really like is Tropico games set in different settings. For example: Ancient Greece, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Rome, Medieval Europe, Medieval Middle East, Renaissance Europe, Colonial America (which is what Tropico 2 should have been about), Edo Period Japan, Mughal India, Imperial China, etc...

Also, I'd like more options for the edicts. I remember there was an indie minigame called Democracy 2, it had almost no graphics, but there were lots of options for laws/policies and many of them had sliders (like, how high each tax is, how punitive is the justice system is, how generous is the welfare, etc). I'd like something like that regarding Tropico's edicts. Do Tropico games after 1 and 2 have that kind of freedom/detail regarding edicts?
>>
>>516414
>but I never really understood the mechanics of Tropico 2.

Just avoid highly dangerous sea areas and batter enemies with guns and cannons to preserve pirate lives. Hostages become highly lucrative the more services they use.
>>
>>514769
>natural formation
Oh right.
I'd be interesting in knowing how any faction naturally forms.
>>516434
>Just avoid highly dangerous sea areas
You say that like you can find ships anywhere else.
And when you're forced into patronage for a campaign mission, you can be screwed by the game deciding your patron is the police force in the Carib today.
>>
File: 1615296019453.png (623 KB, 482x482)
623 KB
623 KB PNG
>>510418
>The Nationalists are fucking English skinheads for fuck sake!
How else would you represent latin american nationalists? Genuinely curious, I thought latin american skinheads were a thing and don't know how else you would represent a nationalist faction as an obvious caricature.
>>
>>516414
>Do Tropico games after 1 and 2 have that kind of freedom/detail regarding edicts?

No, Tropico just gets worst after a point and the game will give you useless edicts because they make everything a monkey paw
So if people are broke, they live in shacks. These increase crime, reduce beauty and give them a 0 on housing quality, which destroys your averages. But you have an edict to make housing free, so now they don't live in shacks. But this applies to every single person in the game, no matter what their income is and you end up with an unbearable amount of debt from this. The edicts normally have an idea that sounds good but goes way overboard and slaps a few penalties on for good measure, no finesse at all
>>
>>523385
>But you have an edict to make housing free, so now they don't live in shacks.
You could recude rent to 0 in the origina, you dumb fuck, which was desirable, since elderly otherwise lived in shacks by default (no income = no rent). So here goes your non-argument. The main difference is that edict automates things.
>and you end up with an unbearable amount of debt from this
Literally what? If you can't manage your economy to pay for something as basic as free housing, you are doing something SERIOUSLY wrong in T3 and 4.
>>
>>523385
Lmao at you.
Free housing was so fucking broken in terms of gameplay benefit-vs-costs, they had to replace it with a completely new edict and way how housing is handled in Tropico 5, just to make the game at least slightly less broken.
>>
>>523385
How about you git gud and have enough housing and jobs for your people, faget. Fuck free housing and fuck commies. Everyone in my Tropico is happily employed and paying rent on a suitable home because I'm not retarded.
>>
>>523412
>You could recude rent to 0 in the origina,
Learn to read, basedboy he was specifically not asking about the first. Go back to getting pounded by your wife's boyfriend until he teaches you to read through erotic student/teacher roleplay where he takes care of sneeds and you form a loving but forbidden craving for his manmeat
>>
>>510968
Nope, you're just a retard. Tropico 3 is more optimized than 4 and looks better at that.
>>
File: 102313_1.1.jpg (78 KB, 900x600)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>524649
>So many buzzwords
>So little meaning

>>524679
Is this some late-night American shitposting or something? Don't you have better things to do before going to bed?
>>
>>525224
>I have nothing to say
We know.

Tropico 3 looks better and runs better. All there is to say.
>>
>>526669
Different anon, but you might have some eye-sight issues. Those can be easily treated, glasses might not be even needed.
>>
>>526967
No, my eyes can see the constant blue filter that isn't natural and lower framerate just fine.

Tropico 3 looks like a tropical island and runs at a higher framerate.
>>
>>502755
I’m 20 lol
>>
File: 1593707402455.jpg (289 KB, 1344x756)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
What's with Modern Times? I think I like the concept, but wtf is with these buildings? This is still supposed to be a banana republic, not fucking Dubai. Did new installations do more of this shit?
Or are there Tropicolike countries irl that currently look like this and I'm talking out of my ass?
>>
>tropico 1
>tropicans are considered adults by 13
>stumble over some 13 year old farmer living in a shack with his 32 stripper wife and their kid
>proceed to imprison justin timberlake for trying to run for president against me
>he is also a farmer
>>
>>528804
They wanted to simply extend the timeline of the game, so you aren't stuck with 50s and 60s forever. They went too modern and the end result is just jarring. But at least 4 had it as a DLC and something separate. From 5 onward, that's just standard shit due to the era mechanics and the game is fucking horrible.
As for real countries, check on Costa Rica's capital, San Jose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWS9IZOcpO8
It's one of those weird mixes of farmland and modern skyscrappers next to each other, while half of the city is a glorified shantytown, too.
>>
>>487081
How do I into tourism? I hate exports because late game your ports are all loaded down.
>>
>>529799

Tourisim in T4 and newer kind of blows, but it is still fun and pretty. Pretty much what you want to do is build a shit ton of hotels and then as few entertainment buildings as you can so that way they always stay full. In T4 it's best to just ignore any tourist that isn't Spring Break or Rich as those 2 groups have the most money and Spring Break tourits have a ton of bonuses and edicts to attract them. Biggest thing is to make sure your general tourist center is away from your main town so they don't take up space for your tropicans. It's easy but if you don't cheese it you aren't going to make much money and it requires a ton of uneducated workers.
>>
>>529799
Build more ports, duh.
But more seriously, adding to what >>532025 said, tourism is piss easy in 4, mainly because your workers can simply DRIVE to the tourist sector of your island. Sure, they will have to walk back, but that's far easier to handle than having them to walk both ways, like in the original. Just make sure the tourists don't have access to cars, or they will go all over your islands, like bunch of retards they are.
>>
>>532261

IF you con consentrate your tourist stuff to one little area they won't travel. The biggest thing is just making sure everything is just empt enough so they don't try to travel.
>>
>>528804
I think banana republics generally are kept un-educated and with bad infrastructure except to get whatever export they have to ports. Haven't been to any myself but central america doesn't exactly look like that from google street view.
>>
>>538602
Think again
>>
>>538602
Most free banana republics have free (((education))) and there's no jobs for them anyway so an engineer ends working as a teacher to keep the cycle or on the cocoa farms.
>>
>>540567
>It doesn't count, because they pay taxes for it
>t. a guy who pays taxes and doesn't get education nor healthcare for that
Always cute to watch this
>>
>>487081
I played the supposedly hardest island and it was piss easy. At least until I got hit with multiple tornadoes that took out my power plant right after I ordered my army and secret police to genocide all the Haitians on the island (I got bored and wanted to see if I could)
>>
File: 1557514626245.jpg (38 KB, 808x805)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>Tropico 6
>Referendum mission
>>
>>494843
that sounds awesome but I can't handle the low resolution
>>
>>504599
>can't figure out how to get to porn websites
They do. They just refuse to clean the dog crap off of their shoes and end up dragging it onto everybody's carpet.
>>
>>546992
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
>>
>>547211
>using a reddit phrase
>>
>>541201
he's talking about latin america, not sweden c.2000
>>
>>540567
That's because a spic can't do much more than pick crops, nothing to do with how much you try to educate them.
>>
game is on huge discount, is tropico 6 worth it to buy with all dlc?
>>
>>547500
i too wish to know this. the general consensus in the thread is no
>>
>>547500
If you are bored, buy base and pirate DLC.
I think its weaker than previous ones.
>>
>>547774
what's it missing out on anon? i came from 5 and done with 4 so dont use 4 to compare please use 5 if possible
>>
>>547482
>spics
>Anyone else than Mexican
Nice failed attempt at larping as Amerifat
>>
>>547500
>>547762
Definitely not worth it. Tropico 6 is genuinely a bad game and the fact it's slightly less shit than 5 doesn't make it good - it was simply how shit 5 was.

>>547774
Why the fuck you would buy a game to pirate expansions? Just pirate the whole fucking thing, you imbecile
>>
>>547880
thanks ill just wait for civ 6 to go on sale and make a different retarded purchase instead
>>
>>547500
>>547762
>>547880
I'm having a decent amount of fun with Tropico 6 despite being an OG Tropico kid. Then again I prefer 4 over 3 because having more toys and three different kinds of shitty hovels to build rather than one makes me a happier Presidente, so 6 having a whole bunch of new shit makes me forgive its inadequacies. I'd say for a casual Tropico fan it's worth it at the crazy discounts
>>
>>548016
Are the shitty DLCs any good.
>>
>>548075
Fuck if I know lmao

They're still adding buildings to the base game in updates so I'll commend that
>>
>>547945
Well, at least you are self-aware how idiotic your purchase choices are.
>>
>>548075
>>548549
Not worth the price unless they're really cheap.
>>
Back to Tropico 4 I go then.
The campaign was really fun.
>>
>>487081
Is there any downside to just using bunkers if you have the one DLC? You can bypass having generals that way.
>>
>>548721
Nope. Unless we account for the pricetag, it's a direct upgrade of a guard station, and well worth said price.
Said that, why aren't you building army base? It's more than worth it, since it keeps your soldiers super-happy and in the same time provides you with significant, yet quality housing, leaving more space in your apartments for the rest of the population - the downside being it requires one general to operate.
>>
Tropico 4 has all the trappings needed to be a fun, political city builder/sim.

However, the sandbox is too ez (granted u can add difficulty modifiers), and the balance sux... you have to be a total nub if you're running into constant losses...

Wish there was more incentive to diversify, or make "spamming" less desirable...
>>
>>487081
i keep going bankrupt in tropico 6 and ive no clue why
i play like i used to in 5 and just build industries and other things that make money but im always in the negative
>>
What is the coverage for media buildings covering population? What about the boost salt apparently has on ranches/canneries, is there a way to see if that bonus is being applied?
>>
1 and 2 were fun but rae outdated now.
3 is the Modern Warfare of Tropicos
4 is literally just a better 3.
5 tried something new I guess, too bad it only made the game worse.
Jury's still out on 6 but I tried it at launch and was not impressed, though Tropicos are always better once all the content is out.

I'll go with 4.
>>
>>487375
Loved 3, but I always felt that 4 was like a cleaned up version of 3. Both had banging soundtracks though. Also, >>487450 has a good point in 5 having the best aesthetics.
>>
>>553278
Yeah you have come up with challenges yourself on sandbox if you want to have fun.

I remember I went full nationalistic mode and never imported educated workers.
>>
>>559533
Immigrantless Tropico is so comfy, all of your citizens feel so much more personal.
>>
File: tropico.png (1.56 MB, 1418x629)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB PNG
>>487081
my hours say, you are right
>>
>>561505
This only works with the right set-up.
Otherwise you literally hit a die-back event
>>
>>532309
even with empty stuff I still have the tards occasionally drive a random restaurant in my city area lol. Besides that I find tourism is good in 4 for that time when you dont have enough money for factories yet and a ton of uneducated workers and need money for schools and factories.
>>
>>532025
Been a while but I think eco is actually the 2nd richest followed by spring break then slob which you dont want.
>>
>>562237
>take Hypochondriac
>build wind turbine first, set up hospital with obstetrics immediately
>get ministry, interior minister for a Contraception Ban next
>spam clinics with obstetrics as you grow

Wouldn't this be enough? I've never thoroughly tested it, but it seems like a solid plan to get enough babies pumping out ASAP. Hypochondriac keeps people constantly going to the obstetrics clinics.
After that you just have to keep everyone alive and happy. Avoid building army base (obstetrics-less healthcare), never run Same Sex Marriage, build a Weather Station soon to keep disasters from killing people.
>>
>>563700
Oh, you are talking about 3+. Sure, doable.
I was thinking about T1, where you had to have the exact specific number of people and anything below (or above) lead to all sort of shit.
>>
should I be playing tropico 4 campaign with all dlc off or something, some of it seem OP
>>
>>567354
They are. Just don't use them.
>>
Can you download tropico 4 challenges anywhere or are they gone forever?
>>
>>488676
No, that's Tropico 5.
>>
>>528804
Modern Times exists solely to make the game worse. The systems it introduces do not interact meaningfully with the original game and are completely imbalanced, like most of the DLC.
>>
>>567354
"Seem" is the correct word. Some are strong, not gonna lie, but majority is just eh.
>>
>>571435
The traits are the really bad ones I think, Constructor is just ridiculous. The buildings aren't outrageously strong but like the Bunker and Plantation are just simply better than their alternatives with almost no drawback. Conventillo and Voodoo Manor are pretty neat though
>>
I still go back to 4 from time to time. It's a fun and lighthearted game.
>>
>>487081
Where to start with the series?
>>
>>576683
Take GOG version of 1. Play it few times on random maps, so you learn the context of the game and various game mechanics.
Once you got bored, move to 4 and never look back or futher.
>>
>>487375
First is best because it's THE BEST dictator sim. It's the only Tropico game where you can't just effortlessly please everyone by slapping a pub and a clinic together, factions actually have conflicting interests and you'll never get both in the opposing pair to adore you, at best you can pacify them somewhat or deal with the rebels. You have to actually go out of your way to piss people off in the modern Tropicos.
>>
>>576683
>>
File: 15 best.jpg (67 KB, 540x509)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>578181

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.