[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 19 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: graviteam.png (2.39 MB, 1854x1019)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB PNG
Anons, what the fuck do I do...
These are finishing turns of Bulakhi campaign: I can't afford to retreat. The Hans comes with 17 fucking tanks, PzIII-PzIV and couple Stugs, dammit
I have 6 shit piss tanks, 5 Valentines and 1 stolen PzIV, 4 static 76mm guns and a bunch of half-dead infantry
Pros: the village on the left is in a valley
I don't know what to do
Anons, how do I save my comrades? How do I burn Hans in their steel boxes? Pls advise.

Graviteam thread go.
>>
>>432347
Correction, 7 tanks: 5 valentines (they are WORSE than T-34-75), 1 PzIII and 1 pzIV
>>
File: grav2.png (1.61 MB, 1911x965)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB PNG
Dammit, what do I doo
Fuck they all are going to die
>>
just send them all to attack yolo
>>
>>432347
Have you tried not being shit at the game?
>>
If there's no artillery and the geography allows it try hiding your guys in the forested area to try to ambush the germans and concentrate your forces.

You're pretty fucked either way.
>>
>>
>>432399
I tried and i fail
Any substantial non\v\ tier advice ?
>>
I’d place the infantry in to those houses. AT guns into covered areas where they can get side shots. Tanks serve as a mobile reserve and use their speed to flank the enemy and preferably against enemy inf than tanks.
>>
>>432347
Just let them suicide into you as usual, what's the question here?
>>
File: gtmf_20210125_41725_002.jpg (1.2 MB, 1920x1080)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
hans will win
>>
File: gtmf_20210122_56717_018.jpg (1.72 MB, 1920x1080)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
>>
>>432535
this
>>
>>433029
>the weharboo has entered the thread
Pathethic, go read some more Hadler-burger propaganda
>>
>>432408
you cant shoot the prisoners?
>>
>>433303
thats a war crime sir
>>
>>433287
> Hadler-burger propaganda
thx didn't know about him
>>
File: grav3.png (2.24 MB, 1753x898)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB PNG
>>432403
>>432535
>>433168
Thank you for sound advice, anons. 16 German tanks attacked me that day, supported by infantry.
I put all my forces in the valley, and 76mm guns, placed correctly, proved super-effective. Unfortunately, their crews have fallen as brave men do. I also lost 3 tanks.
Hans has lost 11 tanks and same amount of infantry as me. They DID capture the village, I never expected to hold it, but instead of curbstomping me, I managed to get them stuck in the offensive and call for ceasefire.
Time to counter-attack.

>>433331
I made a typo: Halder, not Hadler. Franz Halder was chief censor of all captured nazi general memoirs and works, and he covered his skank ass as much as he could.
>>
File: gerries.png (1.39 MB, 1094x801)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
>>433481
Ahh, and there's victory!
Apparently, the fierce defence of soviet troops has completely exhausted german ability to advance (I don't think it's because too much tanks were destroyed - it's because too much infantry was destroyed and some tanks, so there were just tanks left for the nazis, so German AI considered the resources to be insufficient for any offensive attempt, so it pulled back. Meanwhile my remaining tank groups rushed forward, retook Bulakhi, and the day was over.
>>433029
Just a polite reminder that Wehrmacht lost the only war it ever fought. IRL and in my current campaign lmao
>>
>>433497
Losses.

Soviet:
400 soldiers and officers
4 tanks and spg
7 guns and machineguns
2 cars and ATV

German :
689 soldiers and officers.
16 tanks and SPG
25 guns and machineguns
5 cars and ATV
>>
>>433501
Are there any plans to introduce challenge into the game?
>>
>>433888
Try playing as soviets in 1941-1942 campaign for once.
>>
>>433991
why respond
>>
>>433991
Tried it in the last DLC, the germans were as pathetic as usual, all died in the first fight.
>>
>>433501
based
>>
File: Joachim_Peiper.jpg (27 KB, 340x423)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>433888
I'm afraid you'll have to play a real game like Command Ops 2.
>>
>>434133
Dangerously based.
>>
>>433888
No, that would fuck up the autistic power fantasy that is Graviteam.
>>
anybody play the african one?
>>
Great game, much maligned and misunderstood by those who were weaned on click fest garbage, a game that simulates as well as any the difficulties faced by commanders in the field.
How to get good at this game? Well that's fairly simple, just fill your brain with as much knowledge about the tools you have at your disposal. The game help enormously here by providing an encyclopedia complete with comprehensive penetration charts, which will show you how each gun is likely to fare against which armour plate and how each type of shell performs against each kind of tank etc. I really cna't stress the importance of having as much of this knowledge ready to retrieve as and when you require it.

Secondly I recommend you play around in the editor, set up simple small scale scenarios and see how you do, I like to try to recreate situations that I am likely to face in the next operation, so I pick the right map, set the correct weather conditions, deploy the units most likely to appear and then play around. for example set up a small defensive position with small calibre AT guns and then set the enemy to trundle onto your position with a platoon of tanks, or vice versa, send some of your own armour into a densely defended trench network and see how they do.

Environmental factors is something that barely gets a mention whenever this game crops up, more often than not you'll have as much, if not more, to fear from the environment as you will from the enemy. Mud, deep snow, looses sand, rocks etc etc all affect mobility, especially when it comes to heavy armour, boggy woodland is practically impassable for tanks, even the cold can have a direct effect on the way some vehicles perform, with engines seizing up because the grease has congealed or the viscosity of the motor oil is such that it negatively effects the flow, water freezing in the cooling system, batteries failing because of extreme sub zero temps, all these things and more are simulated, it pays to be aware of them.
>>
Once you have aquainted yourself with the hardware at your disposal, the hardware that will be deployed against you and how all these things are likely to function on the terrain and in the current conditions it's time to start thinking about things like command and communications, how can you get your men to do what you want when you want? And why that is often simply impossible.

First and foremost planning ahead is the way to go, you have the opportunity to issue unlimited amounts of commands to your units during the initial orders phase, of course what you want your forces to do during a tactical battle depends upon the larger picture of the strategic operational objectives you are faced with, so before we dive into the nuts and bolts of pulling off a tactical master plan we need to step back and look at the bigger picture, so back to the operational map then.
>>
Are you tasked with capturing territory? Holding a key position? Breaking through a defensive line? repelling a massive assault? Racing to reach a pocket with a supply convoy? Or preventing the enemy from doing the same? Whatever it is you better bloody well understand it before you click a single thing. Once you understand exactly what it is you must do and how long you have to achieve it you can now study the map, your forces and any other information that will help you to make the right decisions early on, here are some useful questions I like to find the answers to before I begin...
>What forces do I have at my disposal, how are they equipped and what kind of state are they in?
>Do I have air support scheduled? If so when?
>How can I make the terrain, the weather and other passive environmental factors work for me?
Once I have the answers to those questions I study in detail each and every unit under my command, and those of any allied forces present, I think about reinforcement strategies, although I don't necessarily start allocating reinforcements yet, after all we have no idea what it is exactly we are going to be facing, nor where nor when. No good having AT units 3km away from where the enemy armour appears.
>>
Once I have a good feel what it is I have to achieve, general the state of my forces, the availability of artillery support, the scheduling of any air support, the nature of the terrain, weather conditions etc I begin to formulate a plan, a basic idea of how, with the information I currently have at my disposal, I propose to achieve my operational goals. Of course it's no more than a sketch to begin with, light pencil marks on the canvas, as things develop and new information presents itself any plan will be forced to evolve, flexibility is paramount in this game, another reason why I never allocate reinforcements before I have seen anything of the enemy, always be prepared to change course and to bend with the ebb and flow of battle.
>>
On defense vs attack, of course it goes without saying that defending is usually the easier of the two, although there are exceptions, exhausted poorly equipped infantry holding a village in the face of a mass assault by fresh highly motivated and experienced troops with armour, artillery and air support is never going to be a cake walk (Sokolovo 1943), but generally speaking defending in this game is far easier than attacking, for a start ypou have much less to do once you have deployed your forces, you may need to move a few assets around to counter specific threats as they arise, but generally it's just a matter of sitting in trenches or building and waiting to see what the enemy does, attacking, especially against strong defensive positions is a lot harder, so for new players who just want to get a feel for the UI and the way everything works I would recommend starting with a defensive operation.
>>
>>434184
ya, it's pretty great
I missed the sale on mius front, fortunately Tunisia is piss cheap and the exact same game.
so many god damn tanks tho
>>
Look, I could sit here and write 100,000 words on how to play this game and still never really scratch the surface, the reason for that is very simple, it's a simulator that throws up countless strategic and tactical challenges with various potential solutions open to the player, the only way to master this game is to read up on the assets at play, to study how to best utilize specific assets under the myriad of conditions you're likely to face and then apply all you learned as and when you can, learning the UI is the easy part, it's how to make the most of the forces you have, something that can't really be taught in a few posts, read Guderian, read Liddell Hart, study old red army officer training films and Wehrmacht field manuals, familiarize yourself with the strengths and weaknesses of not only the tanks but the small arms too, know when to throw riflemen at SMG squads, or better yet learn when not to.

Most importantly get your head in the right place before you even start, this isn't really a game in the traditional sense, it's a simulator, a very good one, it has plenty of flaws but if you approach it in the right way it can deliver experiences that simply cannot be found anywhere else, play it like you want to learn how to command forces in battle, not like you already know it all, unless of course you actually do, I spent 6 years at Sandhurst and 14 years in the Royal Highlanders and I can tell you this game still teaches me new things each and every time I play it.
>>
>>434700
This looks like satire, but this is what your average gravitard actually believes.
>>
>>434681
love the tanks in that one

though having to go up against entrenched tank destroyers is a pain in the ass
>>
>>434748 (You)
I bet you have lots of fun in your vidya

>>434700
How can any game compare to graviteam stuff, I've been reading a lot of tank memoirs and it's the only non book media that let's me use real tactics and has stuff as simple as tank ditches.
>>
>>434700
Gravitards really are the Rick and Morty viewers of the Strategy genre.
>>
>>435269
>>434748
ok here is your you, you so badly want
>>
>>435301
It you look at what was posted and you don't think it was concentrated cringe, then I can't help you.
>>
>>435305
Well I am not the author of that copy pasta, but I did have to read a Soviet infantry manual to figure out how to not suck ass with masses of infantry
>>
>>435310
Infantry in Graviteam is like herding cats. Difficult to get good fire and manuvere going.
>>
File: twt42.png (1.93 MB, 1562x613)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB PNG
*inhales*
>>
I always wonder what is better, Combat Mission or Graviteam? Some say CM have more micro and options while GT have more details. 1 thing I do know is that GT is less jewish than Battlefront
>>
>>435499
One thing to consider among other things, Graviteam is about battles in some shitholes. Dunno if there are scenario mods, but CM has much more variety and gives one a chance to play with late-war tanks.
>>
>>435499
Oh no no no here we go
>>
>>435499
>/VST/, ARE YOU READY TO RUUUUUUMMBLLEEEEEE
>>
>>435499
CM for MP, GT for comp stomps.
>>
>>433497
they lost but it was a heroic attempt
>>
>>435457
oy vey
>>
So can my toaster run this
>>
File: teleports behind you.png (762 KB, 872x701)
762 KB
762 KB PNG
nothin personal, hans

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.