[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20210218132052_1.jpg (265 KB, 1024x768)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
Post your heroic victories and how you achieved them
This one was playing as Briton in RTW
I pestered the enemy phalanxes and falxmen with my missile chariots and crushed the cavalry with my generals when they charged out. By the time they advanced to be in range of my slingers most of them were suffering morale loss from being pelted with arrows and watching their cavalry get crushed. Probably my most disgusting win yet
>>
those two soldiers who died must feel like real assholes
>>
>>423802
They died by friendly fire too, which just makes it more embarrassing
>>
>>423815
Worse, they were your most veteran troops tied with the generals bodyguard.
>>
is it really impressive if its just missile cheese?
i dont have the screenshot but my best victory was in napoleon when i attacked denmark as france and they had 4 full stacks
by the end of the battle i had completely ran out of ammo and all my units were exhausted from constant charging and meele
i think i had about 1/3rd of my men left but its my favourite battle ive ever fought in tw and im not even a huge fan of napoleon
>>
>>424043
Agree with this. Don't get me wrong, circling the AI with horse archers or chariot archers is peak comfy rtw experience, but it's not particularly impressive.
>>
>>423635
>Post your heroic victories
nigga you ain't heroic, you're just full of cheese
>>
I feel like you can't brag about a heroic victory here since anything you could do to achieve great results is already a known tactic/cheese or based on an op unit.

Like when i first played Rome 1 I defended with a few (3-4?) pike militia units in a small choke point made by a crescent cliff side against a large army. While it was neat in a Thermopylae kind of way with no escape and a few enemy soldiers pushing pass the pikes it was still carried on pikes being utterly overpowered.

Beat Sathorael then Kholek with Ungrim on 1 turn. But Ungrim's slayers are over powered (except to folks who say they're under powered and objectively worse than longbeards??).

Take on 2 armies with nothing but Yari Ashigaru and a few archers but Yari Ashigaru are op, especially compared to initial expectations, so who cares.

So yeah, I don't think it's possible to do anything impressive at least for these boomers.
>>
File: 20201113215854_1.jpg (571 KB, 1920x1080)
571 KB
571 KB JPG
>>
>>424134
Don't be salty just because people call you out on cheesing, OP.
>>
>>424043
Usually I wouldn't count it but using a faction that only has chariots against a phalanx based faction is fucking terrifying. Even a routing unit can enter fighting to the death mode and evaporate my whole unit of elite chariots
>>
>>423635
My most memorable battle was fighting Venice as Milan in Medieval 2.

I was besieging Venice, when the garrison there got attacked in a sally-out by a large reinforcement army. I think I was outnumbered 2:1 or so.
I ended up winning it handily by enveloping the first army outside the walls of Venice, securing the city, then crushing the reinforcement army when it arrived exhausted.
>>
>>424269
I've done something similar when I had a horse unit barely chase the retreating sally army inside the city to capture the gates, preventing the re-enforcing army from even entering the city. I wonder if the AI is good enough that it would shoot down captured gates with onagers if it brought some
>>
File: 20201029154339_1.jpg (356 KB, 1280x960)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
The Conqueror of the Romans
>>
>>424577
Based.
>>
File: 20210218161220_1.jpg (742 KB, 1920x1080)
742 KB
742 KB JPG
To be honest, as WRE heroic victories are needed on a pretty regular basis to keep your territory.
>>
>>423635
>playing Warhammer 2
>win a flawless victory against a superior army by using missile cheese
>don't get a heroic victory because using up ammo lowers the balance of power
I seethe.
>>
>>423635
in FOTS an almost full-stack army attacked my settlement with just 3 garrison units. i figured i would play it manually just to cause them as many casualties as possible, since i had naval support

turns out naval support in a small, overcrowded shogun 2 castle is utterly fucked up. almost 50% of their army evaporated on the first barrage, the rest got shot to death as they were slowly climbing up. kinda made me realize how easy the game can ve
>>
>>424577
Were they all town watch and peasants? That's crazy
>>
I can't remember if this was heroic or close. But one time, I was the Fatimid caliphate, and I'd decided to make alliance with Byzantines and invade Italy. Led by Saladin, my forces wiped out Sicily and moved on to Rome. I fought a battle outside their gates, but Saladin died in the attempt. I exterminated the city (for RP and a sendoff) and withdrew. Then the Papal States attacked my retreating forces.

They had lots of papal guards and knights hospitalliers, and they were more than my army. They destroyed all of my melee units, leaving me with just my archer backline and an ammoless and quarter-strength unit of Desert Cav against morale-locked top-notch Papal Guard spearmen. I cycle-charged my javcav again and again, usually losing at least someone, and they routed my archers one unit at a time. Finally it was my 3 Desert Cav, 20 Muslim Archers, and 20 Papal Guards. I charged my Desert Cav into them before they could reach my archers, losing two but cancelling their charge. Then I charged my archers, pulled out my cav, and charged them again while pulling out my archers. Last cavalry died, but I had brought it down to 15 archers and 8 Papal Guards. The archers won the melee.
>>
>>423635
I think the more memorable and worthy victories is where victory hanged in peril till the last minute
>>
>>426036
Nothing more kino than starting a battle with a full stack of fresh experienced troops and finishing it a few exhausted unit on the verge of breaking. Obviously it was rarely like that in history, but it feels so cool in the game
>>
>>423635
Were the Graphics in Rome 1 always so... flat?
>>
>>426157
He set graphics to minimum
>>
>>426294
OP here, can confirm. Kind of pointless since performance only suffers in high tier cities
>>
File: VICTORY!.png (2.72 MB, 1480x831)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB PNG
>>423635
I've had this SS a while, and I used the hell out of my generals bodyguard to win it. Those fuckers were some champions.
>>
>>430638
How did you get to a point where Egyptians were sieging your level one Greek settlement with two almost full stack armies as the house of Julii?
>>
>>430638
Does anisotropic filtering not work on Rome?
>>
Shogun 2, 2 stacks of chosokabe vs a small garrison of portuguese tercos and a few units of yari ashigaru, though I guess it was both a defensive siege and using op units it was still cool.
>>
>>424756
>Warhammer 2

Get the fuck back to plebbit fag
>>
>>430778
Come on Warhammer 2 isn't that bad.
>>
>>430789
It's literally a reskin of warhammer 1 which is already a cheesefest u fucking consoomer
>>
Georgia has such a great cavalry selection
>>
>>431831
What mod?
>>
>>430789
I see you're an enjoyer of overpriced fantasy steaming shit
>>
>>430946
>>431889
Jesus, you autists are awful. Actually fuck off to /v/. I don't even play WH but you faggots are obnoxious.
>>
>>431837
Titanium
>>
>>431913
How different is it compared to base Stainless Steel, is it just stainless steel but with more units and slightly different factions or are there more major changes?
>>
>>431923
There's a general re-balancing, some submods like 2 turns per year and real combat 2.0 are included, the map is changed, and cities are able to build stables and ranges. I like it because it makes cavalry less ridiculously powerful, but still powerful. Decent spearmen, braced and not on a decline slope, can and will defeat heavy cavalry charges.
>>
>>430642
I cucked the house of brutii from being able to conquer what they were supposed to, and constant border wars in anatolia prevented the population from growing by any significant amount. Idk what the fuck happened with egypt, it did it's usual AI bullshit and took over the entire middle east. I'm not sure where the 2 stacked armies came from, though I was losing anatoila at the time, and fully expected to lose this battle.
>>
>>430642
Apparently not, now that I look at the SS closer
>>
>>431896
>I don't even play WH
>>
>>423635
Wow you skirmished
>>424134
Yari ashigaru OP because of the phalanx or?
It's a shame Yari and matchlock is always worse than Yari and bow, cav are also way too weak
>>
>>432125

Was meant for >>430739
>>
>>431896
I suggest that you too go back to playing with your fantasy dolls
>>
>>431831
am georgian can conform we dont actually have many horses
>>
File: 20210222192619_1.jpg (286 KB, 1024x768)
286 KB
286 KB JPG
The most fun siege I have ever had
>>
>>432488
The Caucasus is not an ideal land for horses because of the terrain, right?
>>
>>433203
Why are the unit cards so souless
Also any mods that let you put artillery on walls?
>>
>>433203
What mod
>>
>>433203
you have more men tho
>>
>>433979
It's about battle strength not numbers
>>
>>423635
In a head to head fall of the samurai campaign with a good opponent I killed 700 men in one ship bombardment when it hit their forts gate. Flying everyone walking down the gate bridge/slope.

Also my pike and shot defences are marvellous
>>
>>423635
Aren't chariots bugged in vanilla rtw? They always evaporate on a charge or real time battle as they'll stand still and get mowed down.
>>
I had a nice quick match multiplayer battle in Empire once where I was Pueblo and my opponent was Sweden. There was a central ridge on the map with two wooded areas on each side. Deployed my warrior units just behind the crest and kept my Crow Horse Warriors hidden in the woods. His artillery was useless, so he decided to use his cavalary on the flanks, where they were ambushed with my crow warriors. He paniced as I feinted a cavalry charge on the flanks, breaking his infantry formation and focusing artillery fire on flanks, allowing me to crest the ridge and charge.
I got a bit too over confident at the end and lost half a unit charging at artillery which managed to get a grapeshot off, but it was a huge victory. I think I lost only 70 against his ~800.
Multiplayer was fun in Empire, I miss it.
>>
>>431896
>>430789
Don't repond to history autists. They cannot be reasoned with, since their only joy in life is to shitpost.
>>
File: 0014.jpg (181 KB, 1024x768)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>423635
Loved BTFO-ing the portos near Hyperborea
>>
File: soymark.png (234 KB, 320x427)
234 KB
234 KB PNG
>>434402
>Don't repond to history autists. They cannot be reasoned with, since their only joy in life is to shitpost.
>>
>>435045
what mod nigga
>>
>>435054
Total Vanilla Beyond
>>
>>433464
Tsardoms total war
>>
>>431913
They removed pagan Lithuania, so I refuse to play their submod.
>>
>>424092
Is it even possible to win a Heroic victory that isn't based on cheese or just bad math, like the game considering 200 late era mounted knights versus 2000 peasants with sticks "Heroic"?
>>
Playing Darth Mod as Germany (I became Germany after like 30 years) I was on my world domination and defended a town with something like 500 musketeers vs 3000 strong mix, limited canon though. I kept using the buildings as pressure points and was able to keep them in funnels of death with enfilading fire. I think I had around 50 men left at the end of it. They had something like 300 scattered. It was one of the most cherished experiences in Empire. No screenshot though.
>>
>>437352
It's not cheese to slaughter 2 full samurai armies with artillery and naval bombardment in FOTS.
>>
File: kyoto ambush before after.jpg (2.47 MB, 1920x3240)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB JPG
"Close Victory", it says.
>>
File: battlefield.jpg (827 KB, 1920x2159)
827 KB
827 KB JPG
>>437651
For context for that battle: I was moving my cavalry into position for supporting/reinforcing purposes for the final assault on Kyoto but the three/four ninjas I had nearby failed to detect either of the hidden armies so my "support cavalry" army got caught in an ambush. I didn't play on realism mode so I could issue orders while the game was paused, which I have to admit was a deciding factor in my victory as I would not have been able to pull this off in real time.
>>
File: 1515955462605.jpg (44 KB, 427x507)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>437673
never been ambushed by the ai before, is this what they do during ambushes? put all their archers defenseless on one side and then their spears on the opposite side?
>>
File: kyoto ambush autoresolve.jpg (659 KB, 1920x1080)
659 KB
659 KB JPG
>>437710
>never been ambushed by the ai before
This is like the third ambush I faced, so I get they are rare if you know how to avoid them but, seriously, never? Do you even play?
>is this what they do during ambushes?
Apparently.
>put all their archers defenseless on one side and then their spears on the opposite side?
I didn't notice this at first, since all my units were cavalry I ran them to the east at first to avoid being flanked/surrounded. Even then, they had one spear unit on the archer side so I'd would have had to sacrifice at least one unit to keep that unit busy while the rest of my cav attack their archers if I were to have engaged them. Still an interesting angle, I wonder how it would have turned out if I recognized this weakness in their formation and charged them down while I had the chance, but I wonder if it would have turned out better this way given how the rest of the battle played out.
>>
>>437765
>I ran them to the east
>west
>>
>>437765
>Do you even play
wow why you gotta be such a nigger
i'm closing this thread, don't even bother responding. douchebag
>>
>>437773
No one will miss you, cheers.
>>
>>437352
Of course. Check out Volound's impossible battles series, there's plenty of non-missile cheese videos
>>
>>424043
Once, when using Darthmod, playing as bongland, I BTFO mainland France, then went to go clean up Corsica. I found that, for some reason, the AI had doomstacked millitia in Corsica. Anyway, my 4000 men - and I'll admit, they were pretty good troops, I had riflemen, dragoon guards, foot guards and 4 units of 9 pounder guns - attacked. I promptly had to then spend a battle, fending off a total of 18,000 millitia with my 4000. By the end, my artillery had lost a lot of men from being charged, my infantry was, at best 1/4 strength, as was my cavalry, my skirmishers did better, but all were out of ammo.

Still the most satisfying battle I've ever fought.
>>
>>424092
>>437902
Is it cheese when it is hard to pull off?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.