[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1354564354354351.jpg (16 KB, 400x225)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
why are there no threads for one of the greatest ww2 rts games?
>>
>>421810
MoW is a bit too patrician for most, who settle for shitty knockoffs like CoH instead.

Gates of Hell soon, I hope.
>>
>>421810
How asymmetrical are the 5 factions?
Is there base-building, or is it a mislabeled RTT rather than a real RTS?
>>
>>421839
No base building. You have a spawn point and call in units via points you earn. None of the factions are equal. Japan lacks heavy tanks so they have a hard time late game whilst Germany has them in abundance but they're expensive so they often succumb to zerg rushes by the allies.
>>
>>421839
>LE MISLABELED RTT
fuck off with this shitty meme.
>>
>>421941
Cope. Even the wiki page calls it an RTT. You can control individual units and have to micromanage ammo. It's an RTT game, not an RTS, and you look like a mongoloid for not recognizing that.
>>
>>421931
Thanks.
>>
>>421931
They did gave Japan a lot of units, mostly heavy tanks, that never saw combat in real-lfe (because they were experimental and so on).
>>
>>421839
>RTT rather than a real RTS?
If that is true then I don't want to play RTS anymore
>>
>>421946
Seethe, those words are interchangeable and you not realizing that makes you retarded.
>>
>>421946
>If it's not a dune 2 clone, it's NOT an RTS!!!
fat ass cope
>>
>>421839
>According to Chris Taylor, lead designer of Supreme Commander, he said, "[My first attempt at visualizing RTSs in a fresh and interesting new way] was my realizing that although we call this genre 'Real-Time Strategy,' it should have been called 'Real-Time Tactics' with a dash of strategy thrown in
So both designations are technically right
>>
File: 1613424988569.jpg (24 KB, 720x462)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>421821
Got some mixed feelings since finding out it's a CtA DLC now, but i really hope GoH ends up good. MoW has been some of the most fun i've had with a strategy game online.
>>
>>422093
Call to Arms gets a bad rep, but it's not bad at all.
>>
>>421810
Yes, it is called HoI4.

In Men of War, which is not even really a strategy game, you fight a single battle with a single division. In HoI4 you fight World War 2 with an entire nation and its allies.

More than that, HoI4 is a truly __grand__ strategy where you manage everything you possibly could. The economy, the diplomacy, the politics, the secret services, the navy, the air force, the logistics, and the list goes on, and on. This is satisfying. This is strategy.
>>
>>421821
>shitty knockoffs like CoH instead
Imagine thinking the games are even slightly related in game design outside of being framed in WW2 setting.
And develop consumerist superiority complex at that to cope.
>>
>>422020
>>421994
Its a definition that allows you to distinguish between types, just like between cat or dog.
Starcraft fanatics used it as a derogatory term (even against 100% RTS), but there is no reason to abandon it an prove them right.
>>
>>422218
>You're right! Men of War is so infinitely superior that they barely qualify as the same type of game.
>>
>>421810
Assault Squad 2 is a MOBA at best, prove me wrong.
>>
>>422093
>>422100
Fucking hate CtA but the engine is undeniably superior. Pathfinding is much better and performance is too.

As long as the CtA devs don't meddle too much, them using the CtA engine is the best possible scenario. Too bad we have to buy CtA to play, but whatever I don't hate them that much that I recoil at the idea of them getting 5 bucks from me.
>>
File: 1612275312548.jpg (26 KB, 437x471)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>play RobZ
>Jap
>playing Frontlines
>spam banzai, cheap shitty infantry, and kamikazes with one or two tanks with a good gun at the back
>enemy players can't deal with it
>horde of cheap shitty infantry without AT grenades interspersed with kamikazes that oneshot most tanks
>not even shooting, just command move them behind the enemy line and only start shooting once I'm in/behind it
>opponent panicking trying to reverse his tanks while blasting randomly hoping to hit a kamikaze which is almost indistinguishable in the horde
>inevitably fails and the tank explodes, taking like 20 Japs with it but it is a very good trade for me
>even if the waves fail, kamikazes are left dead on the ground, meaning the entire frontline as well as quite a bit of area behind and in front of it are basically covered in explosives
>tank shells hits one of them
>game freezes for 3 seconds
>the explosion sets off a chain reaction that wipes the entire enemy frontline, levels every building, kills dozens of my banzai chargers
>still a good trade for me, enemy lost all his shit while I still have streams of people coming in
It's a fucking blast.
>>
>>422020
Not evidence, at all.

>>421971
Correct.

>>421975
>>421994
Deeply false and you know it, but here's your (you).

>>422220
FWIW I don't mean it to be derogatory, I just find it misleading to label something so different from games that have been called RTS since the 90s with that same label. Like if I made a real-time XCOM and called it an RTS, just to fuck with the algorithm and juke people into clicking on it if they liked Starcraft.

It's a similar issue with roguelike vs roguelite or "action roguelike." People usually only like one or the other, so labeling them accurately lets everyone locate games they actually want to play. Mislabeling roguelites as roguelike, which for decades has meant turn-based, is just misleading clickbait or retardation.
>>
>>422307
Can you control multiple units? Then it's RTT. If not, it's a MOBA or an ARPG.
>>
>>421810
Man, i haven't played this game in years.
Would anyone be up for some 1v1 (EU)? Would be fun to play some matches again.
>>
Has anybody tried Gates of Hell? How is it?
>>
>>422830
I signed up for the beta, no email yet.
>>
File: hungarian hell hill.png (3.84 MB, 1758x796)
3.84 MB
3.84 MB PNG
>>421810
pve & coop are great fun too
I've been really enjoying the valour mod, some of the cerebulon defense missions are very tough.
>>
>>423885
With enough mines and barbed wire/tank traps every mission can be pretty cheesy until the AI decides that the borders of the map are perfectly fine to drive in
>>
>>422786
He is retarded and wrong, but there are MOBAs where hero has extra minions.

RTT is different from RTS, because it has either predeployed units (Total War battles, Syrian Warfare) or has a system of points simulating maximum units you can control (Men of War or World in Conflict) that recharge after losing them.
They have usually no resource extraction, base building or production queues.

RTT is different from MOBA on
>usually you command an platoon or several sections
>progression is centered around gaining new units and tiers instead of statistic upgrades and new skills
>players control all armies, there is no passive army pushing the attack on base
>there are no passive armies waiting on spot for economy boosts
>army composition is not permanent and can be witched over time with call-ins
>>
MoW is obviously a VN
>>
The warhammer mod for this is stupidly fun and extremely janky.
>Play Tau
>Spam mechsuits
>Jetpack over houses and minigun 4 squads worth of infantry plus 2 sentinel scouts
>>
>>424024
I like you.
>>
File: 1435318757788.png (895 KB, 1341x795)
895 KB
895 KB PNG
>>421810
i spent way too much time on this janky piece of shit
>>
I wish there was a proper version for dynamic campaign that lets you string together battles and carry over units etc.
>>
>>424694
the game is perfect for it really and even has veterancy but i wouldnt hold my breath because there hasnt been a remotely decent men of war singleplayer for a long time
>>
>>424703
there was a mod like that for AS1 I think, but it was kinda difficult to work with and to set up in the first place
>>
>>424694
>>424705
The Men of War version for Dynamic Campaign Generator was more developed. It was hard to set up, but once you got that going, it was great.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/dynamic-campaign-generator-dcg
>>
>>424705
i would rather have a proper campaign with persistent units like panzers
if its just skirmish its more like a proof of concept
ever since as 2 was basically just as 1 except you can no longer play as 1 online ive had nothing but contempt for dms and the owners of mow - im convinced theyre just milking it and are completely incapable of doing anything with it
>>
>>422609
then the tank clapped
>>
>only players left are russians who will kick you for destroying their tank, or people with 2000+ games that kick you for not having 2000+ games
>nobody plays vanilla
>when they do play robz mod, it is always 300 CP so there is no balance at all just shit out whatever units you want
>side effect of these retarded high CP games is that they also crash more often than normal sized ones
gates of hell soon, if they dont delay it again like they do every fucking time
>>
>>424694
Call to Arms has that, but you have to like Call to Arms.
>>
File: factory drift.png (1.05 MB, 769x555)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>>425057
>only players left are russians who will kick you for destroying their tank
but why?
>>
>>421810
The level of micro is autistic and stupid.

I don't want to micromanage the inventory of every fucking soldier like I'm playing an RPG while simultaneously trying to direct a battle. Fuck this shit.
>>
File: ErGrbxEXcAI_reB.png (135 KB, 360x420)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
>>421810
>play literally hundreds of hours of the preceding MoW titles
>don't buy AS2 until it's been out for about a year
>instantly kicked from every lobby I join because my "rank is too low"

It's also another "the AI's shit but we don't care" game, so I find the singleplayer really unsatifying when the only challenge is the AI having fifteen times as many units as you do.

>>424685
Me on the top left.
>>
File: pora umierać.jpg (34 KB, 549x505)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>2021
>GoH looks like some cheap dlc to mow:as2
I'm glad that this franchise isn't dead but come on, I haven't seen any improvement in years. Both DMS and Bestway are fucking disappointments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD9MPmf10zY
>>
>>429689
anon thats all it was ever going to be
the most i ever hoped for was a more realistic balance and an actual fucking campaign because dms are too lazy or incompetent to make one
>>
File: 1587402058139.jpg (5 KB, 225x225)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>429695
At least it has a proper campaign and even a dynamic campaign generator, don't know about realistic balance.
I think I can already tell you that GoH is not going to be successful. It's cool that devs are trying to appease "veterans" but they should focus on making it somewhat interesting to a general audience. Do something to catch their attention. People are going to look at videos, some gameplay and think "This game looks shitty. Like it was made in 2015". Improving the graphics is the easiest way to do that.
>>
Robz is a developer for Gates of Hell, thats tells you all you need to know about the balance.
>>
>>429754
So that's another positive piece of information.
Fuck it, I'm buying CTA tomorrow and then requesting access to beta.
>>
File: umaru.jpg (25 KB, 599x337)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
I'll never forgive DMS for re-releasing the same game twice because gamespy shut down.
GoH can suck a dick for partnering with such greedy jews
>>
>>429794
t. SS Sturmbahnfuhrer Hartmann [1st SS 3 Ko 1 Zug] with a some black and white photo as a profile picture
>>
>>430219
>T. Mad that a realism mod is realistic
>>
>>430320
>robZ is realistic
>>
>>430320
>robz
>realistic
ahh yes, 1945 russia still having their main infantry unit be the lowest skill level rifle conscripts. Or the very epic flame rockets that the SS gets, where one rocket is more devastating than an entire rocket arty barrage, set everything in the area on fire, 6 of them mounted on the side of a halftrack, and re-arm on normal heavy ammo crates. Or maybe when you set the game to NO ARTY mode, and the germans still get the sturmtiger. Maybe the Maus being included in the normal 1945 setting, despite being experimental
Robz is a wehraboo faggot
>>
File: 1516905566107.png (267 KB, 506x409)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
>>421810
> have more than 1000 h in the game
> never playded mp
editor is the greatest thing about this game
>>
File: a1985991742_10.jpg (193 KB, 1091x1200)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>430464
inb4 just play graviteam
>>430513
get your thinking helmet on anon
conscripts still existed, xbox hueg rocket > bunch of rockets that bounce off dirt, and the sturmtiger is not an artillery piece, it's an assault gun~
there's simply too many games and mods with strong soviet bias, don't be mad that any tank with a "76" in the name can't one shot every krautmobile
>>430575
this guy knows what's up
>>
>>430636
TECHNICALLY, Strumtiger is an assault rocket mortar.
>>
>>430219
Wow, nice projection.
>>
File: NO U.png (154 KB, 500x747)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
>>430219
>T. Лeйтeнaнт Vasilly Zeitsev, 3rd Shock Army 12. Motorstrelki "Stalin's fist"
>>
>>427982
>I don't want to micromanage the inventory of every fucking soldier
You can ignore units inventory 99% of the time
>>
File: sideeyechloe.jpg (101 KB, 1463x823)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>427982
>He never went full rambo in MoW
>>
>>431173
I for one liked to creep on tanks and other vehicles on the other side of the map and destroy them with an anti-tank weapon
>>
File: 13576664415.jpg (45 KB, 232x300)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
I stopped playing when they decided to sell the same game a second time and everyone migrated without any question whatsoever

Simply put, the playerbase is retarded
>>
File: siup.png (2.07 MB, 1274x956)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB PNG
>>431223
You're talking about Assault Squad 1 & 2? The latter is basically an improvement of the former so it shouldn't be a surprise that people moved on.
>>
>>429738
What are you on, GoH looks amazing! Have you seen the newer gameplay vids?
>>
>>422197
>sitting on your ass while waiting for mana
no thanks
>>
File: 136138514698.gif (2 MB, 240x180)
2 MB
2 MB GIF
>>431257
>>
File: 1520718605789.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>431223
Gamespy was shut down, you had to migrate if you wanted to keep playing multiplayer.
>>
>>431257
tell me youre shitposting
you cant even play as1 mp anymore
>>
>>431269
That's the thing, I haven't seen any of them because supposedly game is under NDA. I'm just basing my opinion on the official footage.
>>
>>421821
Coh is much much better.
>>
>>432723
>CoH 2 is populated by sweaty try hards and a fundamentally broken game with no semblance of actual tactics or strategy
>CoH 1 is dead
No.
>>
MOWAS II is a fantastic game (and the gem editor is also lots of fun to fuck around in)

but you can tell that they've basically sold the same game like 5 different times lol, like the vietnam spinoff etc.
>>
>>431173
What sold some friends of mine on MOW, was the fact that I crawled up to a trench with a flamethrower and cleared it and disabled a tank, and then stole the tank's M2 and started mowing down even more brits in DC with it.
>>
I just had a a dream where i was playing some competitive tournament on mowas, and some dude ran over my two dedicated demolition or supply guys with a tank, laughed through discord, and i instantly rage quitted the tournament because of it

then a dude on steam started messaging me that my playstyle was fine but basically just 5/10 all things considered

what a fucking nightmare holy shit
>>
>>433685
Not specifically about MoW, but i've had these fucked up half dream/half awake episodes where i can't stop imagining myself getting fucking wrecked in a multiplayer game, but at the same time i just want to go to bed, but it keeps dragging on.
I swear i've been traumatized or some shit.
>>
>>432725
because your micro busywork game isnt more sweaty lmao
>>
>>433771
If I wanted to worry about micro that much, I'd play DotA or Starcraft. Games with actual living communities.
>>
mowas2 is less micro than other games tho
what are people spending all their apm on? I'm usually chilling in a flak gun or doing beer runs in a supply truck after spacing my infantry and telling them to go
>>
>>434688
The only things I micro are whatever my best tank on the field is, and AT infantry. Sometimes artillery
>>
>>434688
in robz you can micro your infantry a lot
i mean if you micro stg44 and mg42 you can delete infantry squads singlehandedly
>>
>>434688
Cooking grenades, trying to avoid said grenades
Stealing your fallen enemies' hats
>>
I liked playing Japanese in robz mod because their conscript infantry were some of the cheapest in the game, and all of them had multiple grenades. One squad had like 20 or 30 grenades. Just send them on suicide charges to where the enemy is dug in and spam the grenade key, rain grenades everywhere. Also The infantry with explosives strapped to their chest were a normal unit that never ran out, hated how the kamikaze guys in vanilla game were limited.
Still prefer vanilla though, robz is not fun to play especially since nobody will playing a 100CP game
>>
>>434881
I like the Japanese flamethrower tank. The AI is amazing at using all 5 flamethrowers; they'll land headshots with them instantly.
>>
File: 1608329612303.jpg (146 KB, 1440x1080)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>435062
>1mm of armor

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.