[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 44.jpg (68 KB, 640x480)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
I realized I will never get what I want from paradorks, so I will build my own small game with blackjack and hookers.

I will try to make it character-focused like CK-series but place more focus on the many men instead of great men. I will also move away from mana and numerical ranges, and replace total wars with localized warfare. I will also heavily focus on the difficulty of managing an empire and sustaining it, instead of just le ebin blobbing.

I will not shy away from controversial subjects and trying to authentically depicts the period, instead of politically correct history, which is my game will feature female genitalia mutilation and pedantry and include child marriages.

Army model I'm going with isn't levy nor standing model, but something between, as when you need to an army you can began recruiting soldiers in your capital. It will take a month to recruit 1 thousand men and the army size isn't limited by manpower but keeps growing until it reaches the limit you have set or you run out of money (in which the entire army will disburse). It will not take attrition in your own land, but lose 1K every month while in a foreign land which should make total occupations very costly.
>>
>>421117
This will never be good
>>
>>421123
Define good.
>>
>>421117
Anon what you need is a clear focus, what is the setting and what is the main focus of the game play. You can't have a character focused game without "great men" because then all the character fluff becomes meaningless.
If this is your first game try and nail down one system even if the rest is shit and then try and work off that and improve the rest of the game play.
>>
>>421117
Do you have any experience with atual coding?
>>
>>421117
>replace total wars with localized warfare
All I ever wanted from EU4.
>>
>>421145
>setting
Pseudo-Medieval Europe, similar to Calradia with no magic or fantasy races, and many cultures and religions that resemble medieval Europe.

>main focus of the gameplay
You carry out big decisions such how you budget your spending, managing relations with your vassals, etc.

>You can't have a character focused game without "great men" because then all the character fluff becomes meaningless.
You can, and I will.
>>
>>421168
Only three years and CS degree. I'd say I'm already on a better footing than YandereDev.
>>421171
>that feeling when you have spent three years in occupying all tthe enemy provinces, but Paradox doesn't know how limit blobbing naturally, so they limit how much you can annex per war.
>>
>>421117
But grand strategy games already feature massive amounts of pedantry
>>
>>421176
>You carry out big decisions such how you budget your spending, managing relations with your vassals, etc.
Which are all vastly different systems that will require good planning and coordination for them to mesh together. What I am asking is what is the main decision you will be doing. I'm guessing you're trying to emulate CK2 and look at how that gameplay works, the military, economic, and technology simulations are bare bones but the character simulations are top notch. This drives the players focus and keeps them engaged. If you wanna look at how you do this wrong, look at EU4. Where there are a 100 different systems all of which have little depth and only keep the player interested until the point they figure out all the systems are manageable at once.
>You can, and I will.
I'm not trying to put you down anon, if you make a great game I would enjoy it. But please explain how you can make a game character driven, even if the characters don't actually drive the game?
>>
>>421199
Fucking autocorrect change pedastry to pedantry
>>
>>421117
create a strange real world in place of just setting it sometime in our own.
>>
>>421117
> I will also move away from numerical ranges
don't pull that "unlikely" "very likely" shit
>>
>>421117
Don't.

>>421123
/thread
>>
>>421200
>If you wanna look at how you do this wrong, look at EU4. Where there are a 100 different systems all of which have little depth and only keep the player interested until the point they figure out all the systems are manageable at once.

True I should probably begin with few simple building blocks and go from there, which would be:
>warfare, in which you move armies and fleets
>infastructure, in which you build things to improve your cities
>characters, in which you interact with other characters

>But please explain how you can make a game character driven, even if the characters don't actually drive the game?
By focusing on a collection of the arsenal of good men instead of few good men. CK3 battle system highlights the series becoming even more great man focused, for in CK2 every battle had three commanders, while CK3 just has one.
>>
>>421214
Not what I meant. Take CK2/3 awful opinion system that ranges from -100 to 100, and has little impact on the gameplay. In my game opinion will describe a type of relation in form of booleans, like:
does A care about B? does A respect B? does A fear B? does A envy B?
>>
>>421225
>Don't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM
>>
>>421245
>True I should probably begin with few simple building blocks and go from there, which would be:
>>warfare, in which you move armies and fleets
>>infastructure, in which you build things to improve your cities
>>characters, in which you interact with other characters
Even those are a bit too complicated to start with your first. Start with making a road building game. Where your first goal is to make cites that can build buildings, then successfully connect those two with a road. congrats you have a working functional system that helps you gain a better understanding of coding without ruining your more important systems while you are green.
>By focusing on a collection of the arsenal of good men instead of few good men. CK3 battle system highlights the series becoming even more great man focused, for in CK2 every battle had three commanders, while CK3 just has one.
But you also have to understand that the player, if they are king, is only going to be playing the king. The other characters are tools and obstacles in the way to that kings success. If you make the focus on too many it takes away from the one person that represents the player.
>>
>>421117
don't be an aspie and include dark shit just to be an edgelord. not saying that any of the ideas you have are bad, but if you execute them like you're just trying to "own da libs" it's going to come off as comical rather than dark. the best way to portray these things is in a matter of fact way.
>>
>>421251
>Not what I meant
>Means exactly that
>While failing to realise the thing he bitches about actually works extensively in the mechanics
You will never be a real game dev.
>>
>>421117
You sound like you're 5 with no conceptual understanding about how to design or even make games.
>>
Give me download so i can play it
>>
>>421117
North america in the colonial period. Competing European powers jockeying for land and for influence with the tribes
>>
>>421426
Actually good idea.
>>
>>421117
Take inspiration from someone like Shadow Empires dev. No way you'll be able to compete with Paradox.
Though you can always make a laggy, buggy jank in Unity.
>>
>>421117
Best you'll be able to do is an Axis and Allies clone.
>>
>>421260
>The other characters are tools and obstacles in the way to that kings success. If you make the focus on too many it takes away from the one person that represents the player.
This seems kind of nonsensical, if you want a believable world you're going to need believable characters who don't just bend the knee and execute like robots.
A king is nothing without his advisors, princes, generals etc.
Being king means learning how to maintain a system that empowers people useful to you without giving them ambitions above their grade.

Not OP by the way, just butting in.
>>
>>421117
>PARADOXFAG HERE. VERY DISAPPOINTED BY THE LACK OF CHILD RAPE.
lmfao this shit writes itself
>>
>>421471
>This seems kind of nonsensical, if you want a believable world you're going to need believable characters who don't just bend the knee and execute like robots.
A king is nothing without his advisors, princes, generals etc.
Being king means learning how to maintain a system that empowers people useful to you without giving them ambitions above their grade.
This is true, I didn't mean have no flavor for the advisory characters and sorry if it came out that way. What I meant was that grand strategy games are interesting by having some randomness to it. Its difficult to create a coherent and highly detailed story and keep it random at the same time. What I am arguing for is that OP not creating hundreds of mechanics for incredibly detailed interaction with the secondary characters and leave the actual strategy part of grand strategy lost. If I wanted that I would be playing a dating sim.
To point to a great system I would say the Rome 1 and Medieval 2 retinue system with its portraits that make your advisors feel alive, without making them the end all be all of characters.This helps keep your main characters the focus of the gameplay without leaving them with a lack of flavor.
>>
>>421205
pederasty is the word you're looking for my man
>>
>>421475
lmao
>>
>>421117
>I will not shy away from controversial subjects and trying to authentically depicts the period, instead of politically correct history, which is my game will feature female genitalia mutilation and pedantry and include child marriages.
HahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>421557
the core features I always expect to see in my map painting simulators lmao
>>
>>421509
OPs only constraint is time and motivation, what he gets done first is up to him. Sure if it helps keep things simple then he should absolutely finish the strategy before fluffing up the characters.

>>421475
so debased paradoxfags are the local /vst/ meme huh?!
>>
>>421298
I'm not trying to be edgy, I'm sick of spinless devs ignoring the darkness of humanity. In my mind there isn't even a point in making WW2 grand strategy unless you have a choice to enact the final solution.
>>
>>421133
not shit
>>
>>421509
Right, advisors should really matter. In CK2/3 you can actually run your state while keeping your council empty, while in reality whole point king's council was to enact king' will and delegates power because one man hardly do it all.
Without steward/treasurer there will no taxes
Without constable/marshal mobilizing an army becomes impossible
Without chancellor, entire legal system falls apart.
>>
>>421831
Didn't happen, edgelord
>>
File: teehee.jpg (108 KB, 780x472)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>421117
nice one lad, will be rooting for you. not sure why so many posts shitting on you, maybe the way you worded your post distracted people from the main point (strategy gamedeving)
i'd recommend you to try and keep things simple to maximize chance of success. even a simple interface where you just develop your provinces and watch the numbers grow would be a good start, then you can build up from there. no need to immediately aim for the stars

personally i'm working into a simulation of victoria 2 style pops. i have already implemented:
>pop growth
>literacy growth (based on clergy % and education spendings)
>life/everyday/luxury needs (different based on social class, with effects on militancy and starvation)
>basic assimilation
>basic migration
i am currently polishing the pop promotion system into becoming essentially identical to vicky 2. once that and some other things are complete, i will work on the UI and finally release it
it won't be a game obviously, just a part of the pop ecosystem that many people love (developed on unity) that will hopefully encourage more people to try gamedeving and let them know that some of those so-called "complex mechanics" aren't actually that hard to implement

i think people need to get more confident, the way some of them act you'd think this is impossible but it's not
with some basic coding knowledge you can go really far even as a beginner working on some shitty engine
>>
>>422211
>PARADOXFAG HERE. I TOO WAS DISAPPOINTED BY THE LACK OF CHILD RAPE IN IMPERATOR.
>>
>>422411
>if you are triggered by child rape in your video game you are taking video games too seriously
I did say this shit writes itself
>>
Please sticky this thread, I got a paradoxfag v&
>>
>>422408
this isn't considered trolling
>>422421
greentext of this is considered trolling
>>
>>423073
>People used to laugh at me when I said I dreamed of adding a child rape slider to Victoria II. Well they're not laughing now.
>>
>>423088
>slider
Of course they were laughing, it should be a national focus.
>>
>>423104
You idiot, it should be a form of mana
>>
>>421117
cool! good luck anon
>>
>>422211
upload the next video johan
>>
>>424754
lmfao
>>
>>422211
based
not sure about unity though, everyone seems to shit on it
>>
>>425118
>not sure about unity though, everyone seems to shit on it
and everybody shat on George Lucas when he was doing Star Wars, they told him it was stupid and nobody was going to watch it
>>
>>425118
>PARADOXFAG HERE. I COMMEND YOUR REMARKABLE WORK ON THE VICTORIA II CHILD RAPE MOD.
>>
>>422408
>>425123
i don't get it
is it a schizo-only thing?
>>
>>425139
>I will not shy away from controversial subjects and trying to authentically depicts the period, instead of politically correct history, which is my game will feature female genitalia mutilation and pedantry and include child marriages.
Pedantry was an autocorrect error from 'pederasty'
>>
>>422211
Good stuff.
>>
>>421117
Do not waste your time asking 4chan for ideas. They have no ideas. Most of the people here are absolute negative retards with nothing of value in their heads. They only tear things down. Bring up ideas, ask for critique, etc. Don't ask them for ideas.
>>
>>421117
i think it's great that you are making the game you want to play anon, all the greatest games come from that same spark, God speed and keep us informed about its progress.

To all the naysayers - that's why your lives are so shitty.
>>
>>421176
I think a "alternate" Europe GSG wouldnt be fun for most people. For most having the nazis win or Ireland conquer England is the fun of GSG the what if scenarios. You cant really get attached to Zambonia conquering Isgnioa without previous context (a LOTR GSG would work because there's references and backstories) I could be wrong though
>>
>>426466
I personally find Calradia interesting setting despite it avoiding to worldbuild too much, but focuses more on hinting it, the world doesn't come off as generic to me. Meanwhile, Tamriel is absolutely shitty, you have your copypasted Roman Empire, copypasted Vikings, copypasted Elfs, and while you have 10000 years of lore, but the world still doesn't come as plausible to me.

>For most having the nazis win or Ireland conquer England is the fun of GSG the what if scenarios.
That hasn't ever been my interest with Paradox scenes, after you see Scotland conquer Ireland 100th time it gets old.
>>
>>421117
Jfc
>>
File: 20210203_125032.jpg (67 KB, 283x283)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>421117
>>
>>422211
When is Italy pt2 coming out?
>>
>>421117
Just explore your ideas and try to nail down a few good mechanics instead of bloating the game with mana points and all sorts. Have fun making anon.
>>
>>429910
>a few good mechanics instead of bloating the game with mana points and all sorts. Have fun making anon
I mean, if you would have bothered to read even half the OP you would have noticed that avoiding mana is the whole point
>>
>>429962
I was just saying he shouldn't try to endlessly add stuff as that usually leads to more and more abstractions.
Also isn't the main point of the game placing more focus on the many men rather than the great men?
>>
>>430008
there are many focuses
>>
>>429962
What about avoiding child rape?
>>
>>430075
Is anyone going to answer this?
>>
>>430075
It isn't a feature you have to design, in fact, you can accomplish this in Paradox games, just by having 16 to 12 in the defines.
>>
why not just make a CK mod that no one will play instead of an entire game that no one will play
you'll be just as disappointed with the reception but at least you will have wasted less time
>>
>>421117
I dislike your ideas, but still wish you good luck. We need more competition in terms of gsg
>>
>>432099
I have modded paradox games before as said I hate the hardcoded limitations, furthermore, I don't think any programming is a "waste of time", you do different stuff and gain different experience, by modding paradox game you won't be able to do what you want and won't gain any programming experience.
>>
>>432116
What do you dislike and why?
>>
>>432197
Uh not that anon but guessing the whole "I MUST FLESH OUT CHILD MARRIAGE, FGM, AND PEDERASTY" thing
>>
Dude. Just create a MS Paint clone and allow players to paint territories on the map.
>>
File: Isabela_richard2.jpg (31 KB, 260x363)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>432592
>"She was six – he was twenty-nine"
historically accuracy should matter more than modern sensibilities, if I made a WW2 game, would include a minigame about designing your own concereation camps? Yes, I would.
>>
File: 1610840652187.jpg (42 KB, 800x450)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>432621
>historical accuracy
>cites muh hall of costs
>>
>>426680
>after you see Scotland conquer Ireland 100th time it gets old
Exactly. The problem with nu-Paradox is that the games never come close to actual history. So Scotland beating Engalnd is not "holy shit" surprise but generic thing. When you play EU4 you never see wrold even close to what it was from 1550 onwards. I just wanted to fight actual 30 years war scenario but tough luck. During late 1500's HRE is much or less few big blobs, France is probably partitioned by Spain and Burgundy, Scandinavia always catholic and Ottos already ate PLC.
I don't understand appeal of meme games. It could be fun if it happened SOMEtimes. If later start dates were still fuctional I would't care either but anything past 1500 doesn't work anymore.
What's the point of historcal game that is just fanatsy?
>>
>>432666
Balancing so that these historical outcomes occur dynamically is pretty hard.
>>
>>432698
Yeah but half of my issus could be easily and I mean easily resolved. Like protestnat reformation that just needs few tweaks. Slower spread, preffered cultures to have CoR (like fucking scandi or flemish) and actual way for catholic to fight back i.e. abilty to convert back sooner then in 5 years. It's just about changing several mofiers. But paracucks don't care.
>>
>>432855
*25 years
>>
>>432855
I mean, I haven't played EU4 for 5 years, but last time I played every game:
>Scandinavia and England becomes protestant
>France and Austria remain catholic and conquer half the world
>Common Wealth conquers Russia and Ottomans
>>
>>432896
>I haven't played EU4 for 5 years
Yeah, that's the key.
Scandiavia remains catholic 90% of the time. Even when my last game CoR spawned in Lubeck on the borders of Denmark and Sweden it started to convert provinces in Bavaria anever touched Scandinavia. Britain got Anglicanism and usually goes for it tough.
France gets rektd 80% of my games. Either it tries to conquer HRE and fails or attacks Spain and fails. Also usually never colonizes anything. Big blue blob my ass.
Commonwelath forms like 50% of my games. When it doesn't, Poland and Lithuania soon fall to Ottos/Hungray/Bohemia/Russia/Denmark.
>>
Time spent explaining your game on 4chan is time not spent making your game.
>>
>>433093
true, but I try gather motivation, too many of my projects die when steam runs out
>>
>>433233
try looking at fgm pictures
>>
If I had to make a game I'd make EU4 but with Victoria 2 population mechanics but actually done right. Meaning embargoing enemies would deny markets, meaning that your soldiers are lost 1:1 to your pop, meaning that cancer artisans aren't as much of a problem, meaning that the game would last from 1444-1918. I'm seeing tons of autism-charts and tons of dynamic culture-shifting, estate system dividing people into castes.
Well that would be my dream anyway, never gonna have the willpower to make that shit, but any game that manages to translate something as dull as 4/3/4 "development" into actual quantifiable pops deserves credit from me.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.