[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 23 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Has there been another strategy game like it?

>Units and base carry over between missions
>Map grows as you advance through the campaign
>Unit veterancy means something, you can keep units alive from the the first mission till the last
>Re-enforcements for away missions are produced at your main base and take time to transport
>1000s of units to design/build.
>Massive tech tree with logical and incremental upgrades.
>Full array of radar systems including enemy radar detection and counter artillery
>Stupid amounts of units on the field simultaneously.

Really, I haven't seen anything like it since.
>>
>>420487
I think earth 2150 is the closest you will get to Warzone 2100. There is a game called forged battalion that has custom unit design like Warzone 2100.
>>
File: wz2100.jpg (58 KB, 800x600)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>420487
uncrewed was the closest i've found.

i like vanilla warzone. all the 3+ versions (like on steam) have units that change the feel of the game. you can download archived versions free on the project site. i like 2.3.9
i think the game really gets the rock paper scissors thing right.
>>
>>420487
Expanding map is a pretty rare gimmick.
Supreme Commander notably had it for each mission.
A number of scenarios in Ancient Conquest involved playing on familiar terrain that is either expanded or offset.
>>
>google this game
>first gameplay video i click on and scroll through has a turret completely fail to hit a fucking building in its range
https://youtu.be/DKW7vY6gg7w?t=212
sorry but this made me kek. i can appreciate units having a chance to miss but this looked fucking retarded
>>
>>420823
The game look's weird in UHD. How do people like this look?
>>
>>420823
It's the most basic machinegun turret shooting at a building at max range. So basically the worst weapon shooting at the limit of its capacities, of course it's going to be inefficient.
Better weapons and unit veterancy improve features like accuracy, rate of fire, damage... It that was a "elite" or "hero" tank it would probably hit most its shots.
>>
>>421158
it's a building tho
>>
File: 1607063221698s.jpg (6 KB, 250x200)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
It was way ahead of its time, flawed and imperfect, but back then nothing like it existed, and so many games that came after took inspiration and ideas from it. It's an underrated classic imo and this board would do well to show it all due respect.
>>
Games received decades of fan support post release, a shame there's no new campaigns
>>
Played it on PSX in german
Good times.
>>
>>420487
I have been wanting a game like this with an X-COM like geoscape for fucking DECADES.
>>
>>420487
I love the concepts it brought but the pathfinding makes it frustrating to play sometimes, and the campaign can be buggy due to triggers bugging out where killing the enemy base at the objective doesn't fulfill it. Having to hunt the last hovertank or turret in away missions can be annoying too.
>>
>>422260
Wich means it will never get veterancy and improve its stats. To improve defense towers you need to mount better weapons.
>>
>>420487
>Full array of radar systems including enemy radar detection and counter artillery

That feeling when:

>Your radar truck picks up a radar contact
>Outside of LOS so you have no clue what it is
>Assign your artillery batteries on the other side of the map to bombard it
>Target destroyed
MISSION SUCCESSFUL!
>>
>>423457
OUT OF NOWHERE!
>Counter-battery radar detects incoming fire and plots origin
>Your scout is destroyed...
>Artillery counter-fires on source of incoming fire
>VTOLs Scramble
>Artillery hits target location
>VTOLS arrive seconds later
>Enemy artillery group is crippled
>VTOLS mop up
>Enemy artillery has been eliminated
MISSION SUCCESSFUL!
>>
>>420487
Rotary Howitzers
>>
>>423468
Man, those last few Gamma missions got a whole lot easier after taking out their archangel batteries that could shit on your units from across the map with 2x the range of ripple rockets
>>
>base carry over between missions

Oh yeah I remember how surprised I was to see that my base was still there and for first time in an RTS my time spent building defenses to make it look good actually paid off
>>
Is the MP still alive?
>>
>>423610
I hate you!
>>
The game is fun but is still another RTS where APM counts more than actually strategy.

I hate this.
>>
>>420487
I've always overlooked this game because the graphics are bland and ugly, but you convinced me to give it a shot.
>>
>>420487
>Map grows as you advance through the campaign
Something like this was in Supreme Commander and it frustrated me to no measure
>>
>>430650
You're in for a treat.

Though you might struggle with mission timers if you're playing on harder difficulties or reluctant to commit to an attack. Worse case there's a cheat to disable it.
>>
>>430721
Supreme commander did it in a shoddy way, the map expands a couple of times then you're off to a new map to start all over again and this happens repeatedly over the course of a campaign.

Warzone effectively had one main map for each of the three campaigns that kept expanding, you didn't have to keep rebuilding. The away missions had their own maps for the most part but played more tactical as base building wasn't necessary.

In supreme commander it's a gimmick, in Warzone it's a feature.
>>
>>431885
>When that away mission becomes part of the main map.
>>
Did the latest update of freeware edittion finally brought back the unpatched retail version airborne cyborgs yet?
>>
>>430721
Nah in warzone it actually one of the greatest features of campaign, not needing to rebuild your base from 0 on every mission is very nice.
>>
>>434626
Nope, but theres at least one mod that re-implements them back somewhere in the forums IIRC
>>
>>434626
>Did the latest update of freeware edittion finally brought back the unpatched retail version airborne cyborgs yet?
I don't recall those? Though I rarely used them back in the day. Was it a glitch or intentional?

Might have to dig out my CDs to see what I was missing?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.