[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 49 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 6545486527.png (836 KB, 762x572)
836 KB
836 KB PNG
What makes this the best Heroes of Might and Magic game ever made?
>>
>>419919
OST and hot seat
>>
>>419924
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoNSShASGiY
>>
>>419919
Music, art, style, sovl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7_J138M6ac
>>
>>419932
soul overload
>>
>>419919
it has that sort of naive look that fantasy used to have before the genre became truly popular and it became edgy for the sake of profit. think of He-Man or early 90s Warhammer
>>
cozy menu
>>
>>419944
I want to go back, bros
>>
>>419939
fheroes 2 worth it yet?
>>
File: 1596056158775.gif (201 KB, 660x780)
201 KB
201 KB GIF
>>419919
I love this game anon, the sound the mines make when you're close brings me so much peace.
>>
>>419990
You might want to wait a little bit more. The 1.0 release is expected by the end of the year.
>>
>>420013
TWO MORE WEEKS
>>
>>419919
It's not, it just has cool art and music.
>>
The operatic score, obviously

FURCHTEST DU NICHT
>>
>>419919
It was a well-executed beta for III:
>>
File: heroes 5.jpg (124 KB, 1280x720)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>419919
Oops, sorry, wrong pic
>>
>>419919
How much of a contrarian hipster do you have to be to go "3 is too new for me, so let's pretend 2 was better so I can act less mainstream"?
>>
>>420075
>What makes this the best Heroes of Might and Magic game ever made *for people without severe autism*?

Fixed it for you, brother
>>
File: homm2bluedragonidle.gif (45 KB, 79x113)
45 KB
45 KB GIF
>>420013
i've been waiting for this for over two years now, I think, since I knew it was happening. honestly so much SOUL paired with a moderately balanced, not-necessarily-cheesy gameplay is the kind of medicine i need to take my mind off corona-chan

pic unrelated. i just like it
>>
>>420075
This but when people pretend 3 is better than 5
>>
>>419919
All my childhood memories of playing it hotseat with friends after school as a 7-8 year old.
>>
>>420107
/thread
>>
>>419919
For me it's its presentation. I like it most out of all the HoMM games.
>>
>>419919
i have fond memories of homm2 but fuck me, i had completely forgotten how absolutely KINO the main menu screen was
>>
>>419919
Nothing, really.
>>
>>419919
A timeline where HoMM3 was never made.
>>
File: 559.jpg (24 KB, 488x351)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>420094
>playing NWC games in 2021 without being a sperg
>>
>>419990
>fheroes 2
what the hell is that?
>>
Broken Alliance is still the best map ever made

HoMM3 maps have too much boring symmetrical layouts
>>
>>420075
Imagine being a zoomer trying to pretend to look cool mimicking liking things that were made before you were even planned to be conceived over other things that were made before you were even planned to be conceived.
Shut your fucking whore mouth and sit the fuck down, kid, no one cares what you got to say.
>>
>>421001
>How do you even DARE to play good games, in 2021?! This is problematic, you are supposed to CONSOOM the next Ass Creed!
Fuck off, shithead.
>>
>>421036
Pirates! is good tho.
>>
>>421022
An open-source reimplementation of HoMM2.
>>
>>421157
I'm using that opengl wrapper with the Windows version currently. Pretty fucking good. Runs great and let's you use the CD music.
>>
File: adventuremap-alt.png (1.31 MB, 1280x720)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB PNG
>>421179
Soon, in a year or two, fheroes2 will be the best way to play HoMM2.
>>
>>421001
ok, Flash. now go ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM
>>
>>420072
>no hexagonal tiles
>>
>>421001
NWC heroes games are like the least autistic strategy games ever made you stupid faggot. Just because Russians have analyzed the shit out of the 3 doesn't mean you have to play any of the mods or use weird PvP strategies.
Which youtuber made a video about this? I swear every couple of months a bunch of zoomers come out of the woodwork with shit opinions on some random game.
>>
>>421270
How is the performance on Windows? Linux seems to have some bugs and problems, like fullscreen not working and the mouse being a laggy piece of shit that doesn't stop at the edges when running in windowed mode.
>>
>>423166
It plays butter smooth on my toaster.
>>
>>423175
Good to hear, time to run it in an VM then I guess.
>>
>>421667
>Which youtuber made a video about this?
sseth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD75wi4_6Ow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw8v5__Ytf4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Dz8mKgeOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-c51iIIk2M
>>
>>421352
>Giving a fuck about the fucking tiles
You might have autism.
>>
>>423166
>Linux seems to have some bugs and problems
Report them. Developer is very active fixing bugs and adding new features.
>>
>>423177
google the openGL wrapper for the windows version if you have any problems
>>
>>421157
I still have my HoMM2 CD though
>>
i love this vibrantly colourful 2d artstyle so much
why does it always prove impossible for new games to replicate? i swear almost everything that comes out with a 'retro' artstyle looks shit but nothing else is nearly as comfy
and the game is older than me so it isnt just nostalgia
>>
>>424220
That's good because you need it to run fheroes2.
>>
>>421036
i only play random generated maps on III
>>424887
idk bro its like a memo was sent out mid 2000s no more aesthetic games
>>
>>419924
ah hot seat. back when video games could be social.
>>
>>424887
>why does it always prove impossible for new games to replicate?
Because they try to pixelate modern high resolution art or the image of it that they have in their heads instead of creating pixelated art or its image in their minds from scratch. It's kinda the same with old fantasy illustrations. Take LotR, for instance. All new art is either influenced by the movies or is just straight modern and streamlined. You don't have gems like pic anymore because the perception of every step of creation has been influenced by a variety of factors from modern media to the modern tools of creation.
>>
>>419919
Where's the homm general? It used to be in /vr/ and I thought it migrated here?
Anyway, I'm at the next to last mission in wizard isles bonus campaign, is it a bad idea to skip right to the final mission or you really need that artifact in the other mission before it?
>>
>>428771
A lot of people still don't know /vst/ exists
Or a load of HotA shitposting was actually Picolan samefagging
>>
File: Efreethomm2c.gif (28 KB, 131x103)
28 KB
28 KB GIF
>>419919
I think I prefer it slightly over homm3, but I don't play much mp.
If I were to get heavily into 1v1 mp or even ffa mp for the next year, and I had to pick a homm I'd definitely pick homm3 over homm2.
I don't think homm2 competitive mp is really playable in a fun way without heavy handed houserules due to rehiring of heroes that just dump spells on an enemy army.

It's nice and fast though, you struggle for gold so your army becomes a bit scuffed since you can basically never buy everything, even if you're so lucky to get the golden goose, you'll run out of money.
The factions are great, though I'm not sure that's really anything it has over homm3, I think those factions are great too, maybe conflux is a bit dry.
The map editor is sadly a bitch to work with because you have to place objects from north to south, you have to place them in order if you're placing objects close, you can't put them "behind" other objects.
>>
>>428771
generals are lame anyway
>>
File: hof2020c.jpg (366 KB, 1040x826)
366 KB
366 KB JPG
>>421036
I think Warrior Knight is my favourite, but I like playing Knights which is the only option on that map.
>>
>try fheroes2
>issue with the music restarting from the beginning whenever you select a hero in a different zone is still present

This is useless then, I might as well just keep using the original .exe
>>
>>419944
this. you captured it in so few words too.
>>
>>419930
good music enough to make you forget the shitty world we live in today.... even for just a few minutes.
>>
>>421036
11 year old me was lost in that fantasy world of a map for countless hours.... even if I had to keep replaying it because being gangbanged on three sides by those damned a.i.
>>
File: 1612094422264.jpg (124 KB, 785x681)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
Played some last night after mostly not touching it since I was a kid in kindergarten, turns out it's actually pretty difficult, I lost on Hard twice, what's the general advice? Rush magic and maybe I shouldn't fight much early?
>>
>>431019
Avoid casualties but attack mines/good artifacts guards asap.
>>
>>431019
i go for early army and scramble for watermills, leprechauns' toadstools for extra gold. also, Knight's castle is pretty good on early game (less so late game because Paladins <<<< every other top tier creature), and I always play Knight so there's that.
>>
>>419944
Heroes II's style isn't like He-man, Warhammer Fantasy is more of a yes and a no, due to how Warhammer used artists with differing artstyles(and reused old art in newer editions), and the art being far more "violent" and in some cases a 12-14 year old's idea of "mature" sans sex, but the models and painting style at the time themselves were fairly close.
H2 is more fantasy with a fairytale storybook look, while He-man's design focus is a more sanitized and toy-friendley heavy metal.
>>
How many of you "remember" being good at the game as a kid, but mostly played with 32167.
This game and AOE1 is that to me.
>>
File: cow cat.png (1.02 MB, 1080x1080)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
>>431105
I'm fairly certain I never actually used a cheatcode, I'd play homm2 after kindergarten (without speaking English at that age) and the only time I remember doing well it turns out I was playing a level of Broken Alliance except it had been edited and saved by my sister, adding some extremely powerful AI with multiple stacks of genies that I eventually met and was then destroyed by.
>>
>>428832
both very close. i think homm3 wins almost everywhere since it has HD and HotA after you're completely done with everything else. homm2 has more soul obviously which is big for which one you actually launch.
>>
>>>>>>>about to finish a broken alliance campaign
>>>>>>>"wtf purple is still alive?"
>>>>>>>start moving my 6 or so heroes towards the one corner of the map i havent searched, the bottom right
>>>>>>>arrive on the island
>>>>>>>50+ titans and 100+ archmages doomstack AI heroes have been stuck on the island for almost the entire game
>>>>>>>I found the ship they must've used to conquer the castle down there, except it had been steered onto another island and then the army that used it died.
>>>>>>>mfw (my face when)
>>
The sorceress theme and phoneixes
>>
>>421270
THE WIZARDS HAVE A POWERFUL CITY TO THE SOUTHEAST
>>
>>433260
DIE TOREN SEHEN IN IHREM HERZEN
>>
>>432755
emergent af
>>
File: sandro.png (20 KB, 107x100)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>Only left against green and yellow on Rebellion
>Attacking green's last castle with my main army
>Not looking good for him
>Starts nuking the shit out of himself with Armageddon
>Fucks up my army bigly and kills himself

RIP based kamikaze AI
>>
>>419932
I really like the grass theme but my favorite is from Heroes 4, even if i did not play it as much as the second or the third
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDXNSWJLuo
>>
>>433548
I never got into HoMM4, I didn't realize how sick the soundtrack was until I figured out all the songs I liked from Fall from Heaven were remixes or ripped from it. That sea theme is one of my favorites, along with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX96pCm3Rnc
>>
>>433548
Yeah the ocean theme is amazing, I use it as the town theme for Cove in HotA.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPLxbB9lzTo

>home
>>
>>421270
Beltway.
Holy shit still remember that map.

Are they balancing this rerelease at all?
>>
File: CNjCh.jpg (38 KB, 480x360)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>419919
3 is best
>>
>>419919
people only like this because of the pixel art. 3 is a straight up upgrade and impovement from 2.
>>
>>433957
I would say the soundtrack on 2 is better (though that’s more like a 9.5 vs a 10), as well as the campaign being more engaging than RoE.
Homm3 is clearly a better overall game though imo.
>>
Fuck bros, it really is the best of the series. I had never even heard of the game until a couple years ago. I picked up the collection on gog and instantly loved 2 the most. There's just something about the art and music
>>
Losing the opera in 3 was a downgrade and leaves you with mostly underwhelming town themes. Combat music is good but not as strong as 2.
plus I'm strange enough that I think one of the turn waiting tracks is the best music the game has: https://youtu.be/xwTVUrQZ3Dk
>>
>>433966
agreed, the soundtrack is awesome. i enjoy 3's but it's just not god tier like 2's
>>
Knight>Castle 3
Sorceress>Rampart
Warlock>Dungeon
Necro 2>Necro 3
Barbarian 2=Stronghold (this means Stronghold was good)
Wizard>Tower
Leaving Fortress and Conflux, where Fortress has good music and Conflux is OH SHIT I GUESS WE'RE NOT DOING FORGE AND 3D0 IS OUT OF MONEY
>bonus:grass theme>>>>>grass theme 3
>>
File: SoreLoserSpellfag.png (1.25 MB, 1040x2478)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
>>433519
They can be a real sore loser at times
>>
>>434020
Based AI
>>
>>420075
I always hated Homm3.
>>
>>420107
but it was vastly superior to five
>>
File: homm versus.png (454 KB, 1036x390)
454 KB
454 KB PNG
>>433957
>3 is a straight down grade
fixed
>>
This thread made me reinstall it.
>>
>>434080
yellow checkmark = you thinkt they're kinda ok?
>>
>>419919
3 is better, but the art in 2 was comfy as hell.
>>
I'd like to have the gameplay of HoMM3 with the looks of 2.
>>
>>434563
There is actually a mod for

https://www.moddb.com/mods/h3sw
>>
>>434670
SUCC WHEN?
>>
>>421150
>>421297
>>421667
On the contrary I played HoMM3 on release, you dumb fucking tards. If you think retro strategy communities aren't 98% people high up on the spectrum, then you need to go see a professional and maybe find out a little something about yourselves.
>>
>>434697
>t. chimps out in every HOMM thread like he has Aspergers
>>
>>434741
Enough about your weird delusional fantasies, muppet.
>>
>>434805
Totally aspergers
>>
>>434697
I don't give a shit about some "communities".
>>
>>434697
HoMM is different though, the majority of the 2021 playerbase aren't typical retro autists they're backwoods slavs who still play games from 2000 on their yellow cigarette stained Windows XP towers
>>
>>434697
>communities
i don't care about what some faggot says on Reddit or in a Russian modder forum, dipshit. a good game is a good game, now or 20 years ago
>On the contrary I played HoMM3 on release
and your uncle works at Nintendo
>>
>>419939
Every walking unit has the exact same body type.
>>
>>436150
UNACCEPTABLE IN MY 1996 GAME REEEEEEEE

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.