[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 87 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1566216782149.jpg (78 KB, 1440x484)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
How fares your Empire /vst/? Did you give an offering to our benevolent lord Johan? Did you already preorder the dlc covering the entire world and nothing at all at the same time? Excited for another month of no MEIOU 3.0 updates?
>>
>>418735
Can't you fuckers have a general for this or something?
I swear, third of /vst/ is just different flavour of bitching about Paradox. I get it, they make shit games, but for fuck's sake, contain yourselves in handful of threads or at least learn to use catalog, instead of spamming one thread after another to discuss the exact same issue with the exact same game.
>>
shit thread
you could have written this down in a notepad and had your wank that way
stop this
>>
File: eu4_62.png (3.53 MB, 1920x1080)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB PNG
I never see Bosnia ally anyone but Serbia but suddenly when I play Ragusa they are everyones friends.
>>
>>418735
>Excited for another month of no MEIOU 3.0 updates?
>He plays 3.0
>Not 1.5
Stick to what works, anon, while the product is refined in the background
>>
>>418754
is 1.5 the best vesriosn?
>>
File: eu4_63.png (3.57 MB, 1920x1080)
3.57 MB
3.57 MB PNG
Some of these missions are ridiculous
>>
>>418776
depends if you enjoy the game thinking a swamp with a million indians living in it is worth more than paris
>>
Ever since my paradox launcher updated a few days ago I can't access mods for any of my games and EUIV crashes anytime I try to play
This sucks. I'm pretty sure I just have to be more thorough in reinstalling the game but it's still really frustrating.
>>
>>418776
It's the one that works without balancing issues or serious bugs. It has its own quirks, but compared with the state of MEIOU for past... year, it's the golden standard, the "meh, but stable" kind of deal.
>>
>>419164
Have you tried launching eu4 directly?
>>
>>419101
What's wrong with it? You're already almost 2/5 done with that mission and you haven't even unpaused
>>
>can't go to war with any HRE tag if you're already at war with the emperor

this annoys me so much
>>
Teutons, Brandenburg, or Wolgast for best Prussia Canadiate.

I personally find the Teutons the best since you don't have to have RNG for Brandenburg and Wolgast. Also the Teutons can kill Riga and Livonia for extra dev and supercharge their economy with the Baltic trade fleet.

Pic related to my Prussia in 1715
>>
>>419164
I have similar problems with the new launcher every so often. Whoever the fag is at pdx who decided to replace a perfectly fine launcher with this piece of shit last year needs to experience mild pain
>>
File: 20201230215147_1.jpg (621 KB, 1920x1080)
621 KB
621 KB JPG
>>419186
I totally forgot to try that, and it worked. I think I might've had some custom nation designing mods on but idc really about turning those off. Thanks. I still can't play HOI cos I only like playing it modded but this will tide me over if I get the urge to map paint.
>>419263
Yeah I really wish they would optimize it.

here's a pic from a training session I was doing for a friend. No one was playing on Scotland or England. They ended up taking London.
>>
>>419256
Brandenberg. Yeah, you’ll have an ugly war with Poland (especially nowadays) but stay allied with Austria and call them in before you go prot, and you can cripple Poland in the first war
>>
File: 1610928526189.png (1.46 MB, 683x1024)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB PNG
>>419318
I couldn't play HOI4 so I googled it and a paradox employee just said they don't know what the problem is...
Thanks paradox!
>>
File: saxel.png (2.63 MB, 1485x843)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB PNG
Am I doing the trade right for owning the Lubek node? Or is it better to Collect instead of steer trade?
>>
>>419425
Oh a rare commonblob.
Move your trading city to the English Channel node and set it to collect. Set everything else to transfer.
>>
This is only my second game, trying to form Italy is near impossible, some provinces are part of the HRE so naturally Austria and all their allies come in and I'm at war with half of Europe.
Then the papal states joined the HRE and they have their own allies
Like seriously the AI must be programmed to get in the way of the human player, I've never seen so much bullshit in any game I have ever played.
I can atleast say I've played eu4, I uninstalled and I dont think I'll look back
Theres a lot of stupid shit, like institutions and the most backward tribal nation being on par with european nations. The game is just number modifiers, and monarch points just arent fun, this is more like a board game rather than a grand strategy game.

By no means are other gsgs complex, but this game is just crap and no real complexity or authenticity to the feeling. I wish so much another company would curb stomp paradox, because i dont think they're capable of making another decent game. Seriously, fuck eu4, it opened the floodgates of normalfags, they're the target audience now. Hoi 4 is laughable, imperators a shit show, I never cared about cuck kings
I hope to god they dont make a victoria 3
>>
>>420039
>Papal States joined the HRE
stop playing on patch 1.30.1
>>
>>420041
I pirated it, like fuck am I gonna pay for this.
Is there a best version, best dlc to play? This games so fuckjng bloated, sometimes less is more.
What patch do I even downgrade to? The launcher doesn't even work, I can only boot straight to the game so I woulsnt even be able to disable dlc
Seriously, I've never been so torn on a game before, its such a gamey piece of shit, yet i want to play it because I've exhausted all other gsg, I cant play them anymore
>>
>>420062
You played on the broken launch version of the patch where every country wich had positive relations with Austria joined the HRE
>>
>>420069
That's just great. Was that a common occurrence with patches?
>>
>>420080
Yes
Every feature added will give you 2-3 exploits
>>
As I’m getting used to by mercs, I’m not sure if they are a buff or nerf empires. In one hand, they are a lot more janky, and some infinite manpower tactics are not so great (like deep water attrition is just brutal now). On the other hand, recruiting a 6 shock general for 2-3g a month really helps out with your dogshit army tradition. In the end it’s probably a net buff to the player because it’s a more complicated system, and it’s running a paradox AI.
>>
>>420097
Its buffing the players by the AI beingn unable to use it. It also buffs opwms oir smaller countrys. Everything else is a direct nerf.
>>
>>420097
*to mercantile empires. I’m trying a Portugal run and I had no problems going 1 v 4 against Morocco + it’s swarm and Granada because I bought the almohavars merc unit who came with 4 units and a 6 shock general. Which was a lot of fun, usually army tradition is in the shitter for Portugal (especially now they nerfed trade company buildings), so it was a lot of fun stack wiping the Muhammadans.
>>
>>420097
As a land-based empire, merc companies are nigh-useless now. They cost too much and are guaranteed to push you over your force limit, when you just want mercenaries to compensate for your lack of manpower.

I haven't tried it yet, but a few MP lobby mods make it so that mercenaries work like banners, but with -5% discipline, increased maintenance costs, and halved reinforcement rates.
>>
>>418735
Meiou in soooo autistic and runs like shit how can you enjoy it
>>
>>420106
Oldmercs were really gay tho against ottomans, especially if they were a lucky nation. There was literally no point in killing their soldiers.
>>
>>420085
Bloated mess. Should I even bother with the newest patch at this point? This game is aggravating yet I want to play it.
I'm making a million dollars and I will fund anons here to make a good game
>>
>>420138
>Should I even bother with the newest patch at this point?
Then you win by default just waiting, since the AI got fucked and every country bankrupt by hiring mercenaries.
>>
>>420039
Sounds like you got filtered bro
>>
>>419256
>Playing any given country to turn it into Prussia
>Not playing that country for itself
>>
>>418735
I'm considering doing a campaign where I form Prussia, then migrate to either the Netherlands or Italy.
How stupid would this be?
>>
>>420516
pretty easy since Italy isnt HRE and netherlands is only like half in HRE
>>
>>420516
Go for it. Doing stupid is exactly what EU4 is all about. You just have to keep in mind that historical countries, geography, and realistic geopolitical forces have no basis in this game. Its entirely a fantasy. Designed for kids who would otherwise be playing a game involving dragons and wizards. Be Prussia and migrate to Italy, take your Prussian army with you. Be Hobbits and migrate to Mordor, take your army of Elves with you. Its just a different skin.
>>
I guess what’s disappointing about how shitty trade and naval combat is, is it was the central idea of the period. Prussian space marine and Russian human waves are both shit that would occur much later.
>>
>>419256
Teutons are dead simple. suck up to austria then insult their rival to get into the HRE. Steal land three times in a row and dev a province a few times to stop the crisis and the war with poland. Don't sell land to brandenberg. the literal only disadvantage they have is not automatically becoming a kingdom upon forming Prussia like Brandenberg does.
The positives are literally everything else. Your capital is good, and it moves to a better province for free. You can dev out two institutions if you want, but don't need to. You can expand into the livonian order, and vassalize Riga or release Livonia. You have more dev. You don't need to fight poland to become Prussia, and if you do fight poland, you fight a poland that doesn't get all the good land they get from absorbing the teutonic order.

The only reason to play as Brandenberg is because you wanna larp the historical route.
>>
>>420611
Wrong, Prussian space marines was definitely in the period. Prussia got its military reputation in the middle of the 18th century with the First Silesian War and the Seven Years War.
>>
Hey senpaitachi do all merchant republics become federal republics? I'd rather not be known as a president.
>>
>>420039
>trying to form Italy is near impossible
It's one of the easiest tags in the game, if that's too hard then maybe this game is not for you
>the most backward tribal nation being on par with european nations
I don't know how you arrived at this conclusion considering all tribal nations have far worse tech, unit pips, and even have built-in modifiers to make uncompetitive like +50% dev cost
>this is more like a board game rather than a grand strategy game.
Anon... did you know it's based off a real life board game?
>>
File: putin monkey.png (157 KB, 303x335)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
>Ragusa run is now worthless thanks to latest patch breaking ironman
>>
>>421886
>play ironmeme
>get memed
welp
>>
>>421886
Literally just rollback brainlet
>>
Is Meiou 3.0 ever going to be made?
>>
Is this solid enough al-Albanus plan?
>DoW Serbia, annex eveything else but the lvl2 fort province, take that as a vassal then later turn Serbia into March
>hyperdev Kosovo for some gold, build a fort there
>build fort in Zeta, when that's done release MountainNiggas, turn it into march
>conquer as much land as possible before inevitable roadblock of Austria(Hungary) and Mint Menace
>bunker down like Albania does and wait for upcoming Albania-Ottoman war
My thought is that with two forts on my own in mountains and other two lvl3 forts under marches would form solid enough wall for me to walz around the area as I wish while little by little sapping down Ottomans.
>>
>>422377
You can also vassalize Byzantium instead. But the take everything but the fort idea I never thought of.
>>
>>422538
It's variation of my go-to plan when playing inside HRE as a minor nation.
What I do is to mostly ally nations with level 3 capital forts as other nations then have lot of sieging to do and sometimes if AI is dumb enough they cant do that since continuously sieging lvl3 requires 10k troops which more often than not requires two or even three minor bunching up on your ally.
>>
>>421886
>Game won't start since new Paradox launcher can't connect to Steam
>>
How do I get more manpower?
>>
>>423060
QUANTITY
>>
>>423060
what nation
>>
>>423060
Increase levy noble estate interaction will give you a fat chunk
>>
>>423060
Quantity
Dev manpower
Noble interaction
Lower autonomy
Conquer more land
>>
>>423324
Noble interactions dont exist anymore anon wake up
>>
What's the fastest way to form and play as the Netherlands bros
>>
This game somehow managed to make me madder in 50 years of a playthrough then my entire time futzing around with stellaris. At least stellaris stupidity is about the future and you get laser light shows and can engage in genocide.
>>
>>423458
come on, anon. There's literally a button for the noble estate that boosts manpower regen
>>
File: 20210218083307_1.jpg (263 KB, 1920x1080)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
Slowly working on reclaiming ancestral dwarven lands.
>>
>>418735
I think Emperor broke the game for me.
I'll do one or two meme games, like migratory native, or isolanist china, but the missions and the merc change were just too heavy handed.
Mercs were a problem, but it makes no sense to hire these 20k chunks of merc together.
1 regiment of mercs is a lot of people, that was fine, the problem was that they reinforced infinitely. Just adding manpower pools to mercs from different areas would've been a much greater solution.
The missions give too big incentives for culture switching and changing tags for claims and modifiers.
I can't play eu4 games with my retarded friends anymore, they were already struggling with the mechanics, the new ones only increase the gap further.
It was already hard enough to balance teams and tags for people to play to get an enjoyable experience, and for some immersion is important so seeing someone play a schizophrenic country that changes its name every 20 years isn't gonna be fun.
>>
>tfw declare bankruptcy

Im not having fun and I want to die
>>
>>423860
Dont worry anon almost everyone who plays the game dislikes the mercs.
>>
>>423839
Which Mod?
>>
>>423839
The FUCK is this? Looks interesting.
>>
>>420080
Lol just get a current version you retard
>>
>>424375
look it up nigger
>>
>>424537
Don't have EU4, is it worth getting on sale with all DLC for this mod?
>>
>>424632
It’s immoral at this point to give money to paradox
>>
>>424632
Just pirate it you fucking tranny
>>
>>423839
Good luck, anon. I've heard that Dwarves can be really tough later in the game, because their disasters are nasty. At least the dev stacking is incredibly fun.

>>424356
>>424375
It's Anbennar
>>
>>424632
If you ever wanna mp and have easier acess to mods just buy the base game and pirate the dlc.
Mod name is Anbennar its not hard to miss.
>>
Anyone do a run where you only capture coastal provinces?
>>
>>419425
You automatically collect in your home node, so you are wasting a merchant.
>>
Guys
world conquest without truce breaking or no-CB
feasible or unfeasible?
>>
>>424819
>>424781
>>424655
>>424654
Yeah, but let's say I pirate it, is the mod alone worth playing? Don't enjoy EU, too much map painting, but a fantasy mod might add enough flavour.
>>
>>426767
You can blob or you dont its the mod decision based on wich race you pick
>>
>>426599
>No CB
No
>>
How do I increase my patriarch authority as an orthodox company? And how do I stop my allies from spiraling into debt?
>>
>>428318
country not company oops
>>
>>428318
>patriarch authority
There's an estate privilege for the clergy that will give you a drip feed and you can create metropolitans in your states
>ally debt
Dump money on them and hope they pay it off
>>
>>428318
how to convert to orthodox as Portugal?
>>
>>429114
Conquer an orthodox province, provoke religious rebels, let them occupy half your country then accept demands.
>>
>>429114
have one orthodox province
try to convert the religion in the province
set your missionary maintenance to zero to provoke religious rebels
>>
How do I force spawn institutions outside of Europe?
>>
>>429367
Just look at the institution requirements and fulfill them, some are guaranteed to be in Europe though
>>
How important is discipline? I outnumber the Ottomans 3 to 1 and have a bunch of artillery but they have 10% more discipline and win the battle.
>>
>>429876
Also why do I have max morale before I start some engagements but then it changes to around 60%?
>>
>>429876
Pretty important, but Ottos are OP in many ways other than just discipline
>>429891
Its your morale compared to the enemy morale, you have 60% of the max morale of the enemy.
>>
been thinking of doing a game where I start as mongolia, reform the empire, and then convert to hussite, I know I lose my cav bonuses by not being tengri, but the idea of a mongolian hussite horde is funny to me, how long do I have to make my way to europe before hussite is wiped off the map?
>>
>>426257
1000 hours in this game I didnt know this
I should really look at a guide sometime
>>
do later start dates actually work? i heard they have lots of bugs
>>
>>431393
They work fine. AI is just more useless than usual the later the start date.
>>
File: Jim Cornette.png (498 KB, 576x432)
498 KB
498 KB PNG
>New trade good

>grain
>>
>>418735
Post on vg you fucking retard
>>
File: 124bj428oj4nb2.png (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>431621
No
>>
>>430646
>>426257
not sure this is the whole story though, don't merchant add trade power? or at least have a trade idea modifier that does that? because depending on your node's size even a 5% increase can be huge
>>
>>426257
Retard he collects more this way
>>
>>430494
Whenever protestantism happens
>>
>>422268
>Is Meiou 3.0 ever going to be made?
Sometime from current day to when the earth is engulfed in a fiery blaze by the Sun.
>>
>>432242
>>426257
You gain extra trade efficiency from collecting on your home node so you should always collect from it until you fully own 2 trade zones wich chain into each other
>>
>>432262
damn, don't think I'll make it, maybe I'll start a custom hussite hord
>>
File: al-Albanus.png (2.99 MB, 1600x900)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB PNG
Give me historical western figure and I Albanialise him as my next ruler after Djozep
>>
>>432785
Saladin
>>
>>432791
Not western but sure al-Njäzer Xäladen will be next heir whenever that happens.
Bit odd since Albania is now catholic but I'll roll with that.
>>
>>432785
>al Albanus
>not al Banus
One job, Gzim
>>
>Reform Dwarven Capital in Anbennar
>fuck up and make myself a mageocracy, locking myself out of the bottom half of the mission tree
This really should have a warning telling you to not do that. Guess I'll wait until imperialism to really unite all the holds, huh.

Also, holy fuck hoardcurse is the best put-together disaster in the entire game and it comes from a mod. I have never, ever played with money more than with hoardcurse.
>>
Is mayo taxes even worth it? Can somebody sum up the most important changes from vanilla? Becasue all mods I ever insatlled couldn't hide the base game dowsides.
>>
File: 1575215149667.jpg (198 KB, 904x1227)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
Not played EU4 since Rule Britannia (or maybe the dlc after) how is it currently?
>>
>>433143
It's getting worse with each upadte. Not even memeing. They promise interesting chnages, deliver something below expectations, also those changes are broken and/or break something else, they go silent for some time, never fix it, announce new stuff. Rinse and repeat.
>>
>Play Milan game
>Complete Milanese mission tree
>Tag switch to Tuscany
>Don't get Tuscan missions
>Mod them in anyways to get the Tuscan mission bonuses
I love EU4 sometimes
>>
>>433143
The AI has been totally unable to manage it's economy since the last expansion came out and instead of fixing that at any point in the last 8 months the devs are adding Abos to Australia and changing the way indians migrate
>>
>>433249
Honestly north america needed some love for a while now.
>>
>>433143
It's crap, much like before. The game's still a shallow map painter.
>>
>>433143
>>433249
By totally unable he means absolute dumpster fire. They changed how mercs work but not AI recruitment logic. So now AI has low manpower therefore it recruites super expansive merc stack (since merc companies scale with nation development for some reason), goes in debt, wants to save money so it disbands said merc stack, realizes it has low manpower and does it again, repeat ad infinitum. Result is large AI nations several thousands in debt permanently.
Meanwhile Pdx is adding overpowered aboriginals in the next paid expansion.
>>
>>433268
how do I use this to my advantage?
>>
>>433275
You dont play small countrys wich are reliant on allies to survive let alone expand
>>
>>433275
get them low on manpower
You handle long wars better than the AI does.
>>
>>433275
Play as Dai Viet, get Ming to declare on you in 1449 by breaking tributary status, and bleed them of manpower until they hire mercs. Pay off your loans with money from the war, purchase buildings to improve your income, wait for Ming to drop mercs, then declare on a tributary. Keep bleeding Ming until Bankruptcy hits and they get rebels across the country.
>>433268
Who said they're going to be OP?
>>
>>433261
Why?
>>433268
Dishonorable mention also goes to:
>AI buys defender of the faith when it wouldn't honor a call to arms to actually defend the faith
>AI army movement breaking when trying to use mercs
>large countries get merc armies wider than their actual combat width
>opinion modifiers for voting with/against nations in the HRE incidents last forever
>>
>>433311
Because playing as a tribe was a boing as fuck speed 5 snoozefest? You could spend a decade where all you did was drill, pass native ideas, and migrate. Fights are literally just a dice roll to see whose 6k stack got to wipe the other and run off and siege their nation down. Your buildings disappear when you migrate and you don't get them back. You don't even get to keep your native ideas when you reform, unlike meso civs.

The meso civs may not be fun either, but holy shit you do a lot more gameplay when you're trying to reform their religions.
>>
What does MEIOU & Taxes change about the game to make it so widely recommended? Does it make the game better than Imperator is now?
>>
>>433327
MEIOU is basically the mod wich makes peacetime in EU4 fun even if warfare itself is so awful and restrictive you never do it.
>>
>>433329
How do you get into it? The wiki's incomplete and uninformative, I've found.
>>
>>433327
>widely recommended
It was joke since EU3. I don't really know why people like it now.
>>
>>433483
You play. No one plays this mod since its bloated to hell, impossible to play on anything wich isnt a 3090 and still inferior to Vic 2 in the build some factorys and go afk to see big number when you come back genre of games.
>>
>>433275
Play the attrition game when you're fighting a larger nation. Hide behind your castles and let them bleed out until they're bankrupt.
>>
>>433614
but won't they just keep hiring mercenaries? IIRC it takes a long while before you go bankrupt
>>
>>433664
When they hire mercs, peace out.
>>
I know it's retarded but I'm trying to stack super cav for my next game. I'm thinking of playing Kazan, culture shifting to Uzbek, and forming Mughals while keeping Kazan's ideas since they have 50% Calvary Flanking as an ambition on top of the 20% CCA. With the right build of ideas and assimilating culture groups, it seems like I could get 160% CCA (from Quality, Aristocratic, NI, Aristocratic+Espionage and the Levantine culture) with +70% Calvary Flanking not counting any extra bonuses I get from missions. The only problem is that I would have to flip religions twice after becoming Mughals, so that would take forever for Animists to siege down half of India just so I can be Tengri.
>>
>>433743
You can just mod yourself those bonuses and then paint the map.
>>
>>433793
But that's not Ironman-friendly...
>>
>>433851
You savescum anyways so who cares
>>
>>426949
As dwarves you kinda wanna stay inside the mountains.
>>
>>433874
Dwarves can live outside just fine, and in fact if you take the capital for that end trade node they really want to consolidate the northern area as well just to redirect trade down, along with repair the irrigation. But I've found their religion is hard as fuck to spread if you grab land of races you aren't exterminating.
>>
>>433311
>large countries get merc armies wider than their actual combat width
>opinion modifiers for voting with/against nations in the HRE incidents last forever

Those really baffle me. Becasue fixing them is absurdly easy yet paradox won't do that.
For mercs it just means implementing merc company size limit scalable with your combat width instead of your development. Literally changing one word in the code.
For HRE incidents opinion it just needs dceay as many other opinion modiers already have.
It would require few hours at max even with testing. WHY don't they do it? I just can't get my head around it.
>>
How much of an effect does +5% admin efficiency give?
I'm close to forming Bharat and I can't decide if I should take their ideas or keep Mewar's for infinite army tradition.
>>
>>434043
It really depends. It's great for ultra blobing and world conquest. But if you are not planning to do that and you already conquered all of provincies needed to from Bharat I would say that 5% is negligible.
Also Rajputana > Mewar > Bharat imo.
>>
File: 20210223015507_1.jpg (326 KB, 1366x768)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
I'm playing Holland and I haven't formed the Netherlands yet because I want to take a couple more provinces first. Is there a reason why Austria and Spain are counted as allies with Friesland? On their country tabs they aren't allies, they aren't guaranteeing independence, and they aren't in a collation. And to top things off, Austria would be considered a cobelligerent even though I'm still in the HRE. Is this a mechanic or a bug?
>>
>>434106
DoF?
>>
>>434106
check if they are a free city
>>
>>434106
Scroll down
The game should explain why Spain and Austria would get called in.
>>
I don't understand the inclusion of Aboriginal states at all. They didn't HAVE any states.
It's troubling because it suggests it's the first step in getting rid of the whole colonial aspect of the game. If Aboriginals have states, why not Central Africa, or the Amazon, or the Canadian First Nations? It breaks the game by their inclusion.
>>
>>434423
>why not Central Africa, or the Amazon, or the Canadian First Nations
Because, with Canada as an exception, they already exist.
What should happen is that primitive states should give imperial powers bonuses on coring costs and a free colonialism CB on them.
>>
>>434428
Colonialism never worked like that in the majority of cases. Settlers went to areas of the world sparsely inhabited and created states i.e. politically organised areas, from nothing. This happened in South America, North America, most of Africa and Australia. EUIV's depiction of colonialism is broadly accurate.
The only area I can think of that didn't really follow that model was New Zealand and the Maoris, which is the only area that should be given this treatment.
>>
>>434440
There was also Spain and the forming of its colonial empire, or the British acquisition of India and American border conflicts with the natives there.
Colonialism took plenty of forms, and small-scale conquests played a large part in it.
>>
>>434460
That's true, but that's already accounted for in the game. If you want to "colonize" India, then you end up declaring war on Indian states. That's historically what happened anyway.
My issue is that with the AA implementation, it's preventing that small scale, settler colonialism from happening in Australia, going down an ahistorical route that breaks the form of colonialism I outlined. As I said, once AA is in, why not just makes every province part of a state, because there were some natives who lived there, or had annual migrations there, who were above the technological and societal organisation levels of AA.
I just don't think Paradox have thought through this issue much at all and what it means. Or maybe they have, and the whole idea of colonialism is something they just want to drop completely.
>>
>>434423
>why not Central Africa, or the Amazon, or the Canadian First Nations?
There actually were Central African states, anon.
>It breaks the game by their inclusion.
In no way. Nothing changes.
>>
File: 1523489.jpg (1 KB, 92x29)
1 KB
1 KB JPG
>>434440
>Colonialism never worked like that in the majority of cases. Settlers went to areas of the world sparsely inhabited and created states i.e. politically organised areas, from nothing.
>most of Africa
Anon, you've had too much to drink. Go home.
>>
>>434487
Yeah, it was a poor historical example, thinking only of the Cape and the Kenyan Highlands. But if we were to say, "How would conolialism work in Africa if more settlers had gone there and to different areas in sub-Saharan Africa?", I think my point still holds.
>>
>>434485
>Nothing changes.
Except now you can't colonize Australia. You have to ship several thousand soldiers there and wage war and make peace deal with aboriginals that actually generates agressive expansion in the area.
And you can be sure that the way EU4 works once you actually get to the Straya there will be one or two massive tags probably about the same mil tech level as you.
It completely changes colonisation since it's supposed to be mostly passive process with the chnce of uprisiing here and there. Now it's regular war.
>>
>>434494
>Yeah, it was a poor historical example, thinking only of the Cape and the Kenyan Highlands.
In much of Kenya, they'd depopulated the region with the earlier rinderpest plague. People starved and moved away.
>But if we were to say, "How would conolialism work in Africa if more settlers had gone there and to different areas in sub-Saharan Africa?", I think my point still holds.
No, it falls flat.
1.) That's way beyond the end of the game's timeline.
2.) There were already states in the majority of the continent, even in parts of the Sahara such as Mauritania, Tchad, Taudeni, Niger (Djado), Sudan (country, not region), etc.
3.) European settlers attempted something like this in Angola, but the men they sent would die after a few weeks of exposure to the air.
4.) African states successfully fought off European incursions in most of the continent until the 1880s, when Europeans figured out how to leverage their existing diplomatic ties and resources to empower anyone willing to conquer in their name. You could feasibly argue that, had the Kiriji Civil War not happened, neither Yorubaland nor Asante would've been colonized, and Sokoto would've be downed by France.
Even then, Europeans controlled very little territory (and virtually none if you count locals as allies, considering their de facto autonomy). Much of what you see on the 1913 represents land claims (based on the idea that a few men circling an area once and leaving a garrison of 10 men would be enough), rather than the actual extent of European-aligned governments.
>>
>>434423
I really dislike the idea of stone age tribes having same mechanics as actual states. For example taxation. Do paracucks really think that aboriginals had some form of tax collector system? Or actual state-wide diplomacy? Nations like Congo or Iroquis were tribes but oraganized enough so those mechanics makes sense. In case of aboriginals it's just swedish white guilt fanatsy.
>>
>>434518
>Except now you can't colonize Australia. You have to ship several thousand soldiers there and wage war and make peace deal with aboriginals that actually generates agressive expansion in the area.
Less than in West Africa. They're pushovers in the last possible area to grab institutions.
>And you can be sure that the way EU4 works once you actually get to the Straya there will be one or two massive tags probably about the same mil tech level as you.
Not in SP.
>It completely changes colonisation since it's supposed to be mostly passive process with the chnce of uprisiing here and there. Now it's regular war.
This is an improvement. Colonization wasn't a passive process in real life.
>>
>>434527
>Nations like Congo
That isn't a nation. It's a region. The actual Kingdom of Kongo was a fully-functioning state. "Tribe" doesn't make sense in that context.
>>
>>434528
That still doesn't change the fact that colonisation of Australia was nothing like full scale war. At all. Not even close.
Do you seriously beleive that colonisation of Austarlia should play same as War of the Spanish succession for example? Because now they'll have the same mechanics.
>>
>>434537
>That still doesn't change the fact that colonisation of Australia was nothing like full scale war. At all. Not even close.
That's an issue with this game not being able to model any other type of conflict. Do you think a Moroccan Trade War against France would really end with a full occupation by the Ottomans?
>>
>>434529
Oh I see. You are one of those >>423294 people. No point of further debate then. We already had this conversation in different threads many times before.
You will claim that there was virtualy no difference between "kingom" of Kongo and Empire of Great Britian. No difference in architecture or military or education or literacy. It's just that everybody is dumb eurocentrist who doesn't want to see """""real"""" history of glorius black Africa.
Nah I'm good. You can go circlejerk to /his/ or paradox forums.
>>
>>434528
>Colonization wasn't a passive process in real life.
But it's not passive in EUIV either. It costs you, you have to be aware of uprisings, and then when the colony establishes it has to be managed seperately. EUIV gets colonialism right, in how it was mostly done.
Answer me honestly, does the current EUIV colonialisation of Australia (discovery, settlers) reflect actual history, or will the new method (sending armed troops to war against an organised state first) replicate it better? Which is it?
Now once you've answered that, apply that same answer to most of North and South America, where most colonialism occurs in the game.
>>
>>434542
>We already had this conversation in different threads many times before.
I'm new here, but I agree that there's not a point in talking to people like you. Say anything and it'll fail to penetrate the thick layer of your own delusions. You probably shouldn't focus on history. It might hurt you.
>>
>>434541
That doesn't mean there should be playable abbos tough. Colonisation mechanic is close enough. Certainly closer then what the game sees as war.
>>
>>434546
>It might hurt you.
You are like fucking clones I swear.
>>
>>434542
Expect that he never said that? There is a huge difference between African kingdoms and tribes, dude. Seems you're obssesesd with having the same conversation with a strawman who probably never existed.
>>
>>434552
Read the thread I posted. Shit like that appears at least once in a month here or on /v/. I don't care if it's somebody from redit or /his/ or resetera or whatever. It doesn't matter wether it's one person or multiple people. It's always the same shit over and over agian.
>>
>>434543
>But it's not passive in EUIV either. It costs you, you have to be aware of uprisings, and then when the colony establishes it has to be managed seperately.
The cost is about 2d/month/colonist, only increasing past that if you go without the colonist. You're basically just buying provinces in slow motion.
You don't have to be aware of uprisings. You can either nix the natives, take the xpl-xpa policy, take the peace policy from the start, or leave a stack there with virtually no maintenance. Finally, colonies don't require management. They just sit still and give you resources until the end of the game. This really couldn't be much easier.
>EUIV gets colonialism right, in how it was mostly done.
Not in any sense. The only thing it gets right is spending money to move people to a location. Every other facet is managed incorrectly, often in an extreme way.
>Answer me honestly, does the current EUIV colonialisation of Australia (discovery, settlers) reflect actual history, or will the new method (sending armed troops to war against an organised state first) replicate it better? Which is it?
The latter. It's the former, just with a bit of actual warfare involved.
>Now once you've answered that, apply that same answer to most of North and South America, where most colonialism occurs in the game.
Again, everything there is already butchered. There's nothing to say.
>>434547
Just fix the war mechanics.
>>434561
What, someone wanting a history game centered on Africa?
>>
Adding Abo and redskin tags is fucking stupid by virtue of wasting processing power. The game already runs like shit during major wars, it doesn't need to model another 40 irrelevant OPMS marching their armies in circles and dev pushing their land for 200 years if they only exist to be annexed by Spain/Portugal/Britain
>>
>>434568
Agreed. They should nerf colonization so there'll actually be a point.
>>
>>434561
>It's always the same shit over and over agian
People with at leas a little knowledge of history? What a bunch of faggots, I'll bet they even finished high school or wear glasses. Fucking troons m8.

I mean, all I know about the kingdom of Kongo is that it was a kingdom (duh) that traded with the Portuguese. You know, they triangle trade and shit. Nobody here is claiming they're at equal foot with GB.
>>
>>434567
>The latter
Ah yes, I too remember the great invasion of the AA capital city in the 18th century, where thousands of redcoats battled against the Great AA Empire, storming the AA palace and neogtiating territorial settlements with AA diplomats.
You're not arguing sincerely. There's no point discussing this further with you.
>>
>>434582
>Ah yes, I too remember the great invasion of the AA capital city in the 18th century, where thousands of redcoats battled against the Great AA Empire, storming the AA palace and neogtiating territorial settlements with AA diplomats.
Again, that's an issue with the way warfare is handled in this game. This is just more reason for them to fix the game's problems.
>>
>>434587
It doesn't matter if they changed warfare, you're still avoiding the issue of these areas having organised states when they clearly did not.
If it matters that much to you, have you never considered thinking of the colonial process in EUIV as being a military excercise? Perhaps you should just imagine that under the hood there's irregular warfare happening which reflects the circumstances you're alluding to? Perhaps some events should be added that refer to that. Gutting the system and placing something ahistorical and cripples a major gameplay mechanic doesn't resolve the issue you're talking about.
>>
>>434606
Great post.
>>
>>434606
>It doesn't matter if they changed warfare
That's the core issue here.
>you're still avoiding the issue of these areas having organised states when they clearly did not.
It's more that you can't decide what issue to focus on.
>If it matters that much to you, have you never considered thinking of the colonial process in EUIV as being a military excercise? Perhaps you should just imagine that under the hood there's irregular warfare happening which reflects the circumstances you're alluding to?
I've considered it. Still doesn't work. There aren't constant revolts or long-term no-go zones. You can deploy an army regiment to any location in the world and they'll stand there to deal with it. Irregular warfare is trivialized and easily predictable.
>Gutting the system and placing something ahistorical and cripples a major gameplay mechanic doesn't resolve the issue you're talking about.
Fixing colonization isn't "Gutting the system". It's reworking it because PDX now has the funds to actually make a full experience and challenge instead of maintaining a broken map-painter.
Belive it or not, the sorts of rigidly pragmatic states EU4 portrays didn't exist in real life, rebels weren't braindead, and colonized provinces didn't come with pre-set development and populations. It wasn't until the end of this game's time period that the populations of New World colonies skyrocketed and began to be enough to fight Europe. The system here is inherently broken, and the addition of aboriginals merely highlights this as a slight inconvenience to settlers. Not even a significant barrier. Call up 4 infantry regiments on Australia. Congratulations. You've now beaten everyone there and colonized the land even more easily than before. What are you so upset about?
>>
Is Mali a fun nation to play as?
>>
>>434634
If you just want West Africa, no.
If you want to colonize the Americas, it's fun until you control Iberia's ports.
If you want to abuse Income from Vassals modifiers, it's a great time.
>>
>>434638
I was thinking of either trying to Conquer India or All of Africa as my end game goal
>>
>>434642
Conquering all of Africa can be a slog. Adal and Ethiopia are better for that, but Mali works well enough.
For conquering India, Mali's great. Countless legions from West Africa alone.
>>
I know its already been said, but its absolutely ridiculous that multiple obvious game breaking bugs have been in the current patch for half a year, and pdx just ignores it. Glad I've never given them any money
>>
>>434663
To be fair seems their core playerbase doesn't really care, which baffles me to no end.
>>
>>434679
It does but Paradox only checks dev diarys and reddit for feedback where obviously no one cares.
>>
>>434694
>but Paradox only checks dev diarys and reddit for feedback
I'm positive they also check how many retards keep buying their DLCs, and seems that number is stable.
>>
>>433327
It's a fun mod with more internal development options, but it's also slow as shit and much like vanilla the AI doesn't actually know how to do anything with the new options so after like 200 in game years you'll have all your estates cowed into submission and an almost entirely green local autonomy map while everyone else is shitting their pants and has an income and army size a fifth of your own
>>
Is changing to a Dutch republic worth it?
>>
If they didn't make such interesting games they would be worse than EA
>>
>>434842
Just do it
>>
>>434855
Can I have personal unions with dutch republics?
>>
>>434888
Yes

>>434842
Probably not. The absolutism hit is too much. But I prefer to go historical in my games and will always take that option.
>>
Another disappointing dev diary by (no surprise) Johan lmao. Imagine thinking stealing development is worth a DLC.
>>
>>433143
>Not played EU4 since Rule Britannia (or maybe the dlc after) how is it currently?
Based. I still play 1.25 (Rule Britannia) to this day and it's super comfy. 1.30 was the first patch/DLC that seemed tempting to upgrade, but then all the negative shit surfaced.

Highly recommend picking whatever patch you liked the game most at and just rolling back to it via Steam Betas. Much more enjoyable than forcing yourself through the shit they continue to fuck up (and charge you for).
>>
Is Humanist generally better than Religious ideas?

I notice with hummanist, the idea set makes it so you barely get rebels in the first place, thus you only need to convert maybe half the provences
>>
>>435053
>Is Humanist generally better than Religious ideas?
Imo it always has been, but ever since they moved the CB to the end of Religious there's not really a debate anymore.

It's just stupidly strong and basically removes unrest as a concern for you. They keep toning it down every few patches but I still think it's one of the if not the strongest idea group early on. Faster AE decay, more manpower since no rebels, no regiments bound up by uprisings, saving MP on subsequent idea groups, more money/manpower through accepted cultures - there's not a single useless or bad idea in there.
>>
>>431597
I wish you could influence this more, other than looking at possible trade good spawns but I mean in the end you would want it all anyway.

What if you could use cash to invest in new trade good exploitation or diplo points or whatever. I just don't want shitty grain.

Also game needs way more trade goods but I guess I could just mod that in.
>>
>>433143
Getting worse every patch, just gonna wait until they release eu5 at this point, my top 5 game gone down the shitter..
>>
>>435162
If only colonizers introduced expensive stuff on their plantations IRL.
>>
>>435169
If only people of every society could measure the economic impact of their products and adjust them to suit their needs...
>>
File: kachar.png (3.14 MB, 1509x856)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB PNG
enjoying this Kachar run
They have some pretty based starting traditions and ideas
>+1 merchant/ +10% infantry combat
>idea set is +50% religious unity and +20% manpower modifier early on
>>
File: 1586567970438.jpg (97 KB, 1440x810)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>Playing as Dai Viet
>Biding my time as a tribute to the Ming
>Suddenly realize they aren't collapsing
>turns out that the Koreans built enough development in their capital for the renaissance to form there, causing it to spread to the Ming, early.
>mfw
>>
>>434925
It's retarded too. I hope it can't be done during war becasue otherwise you could just cuck your oppnenet out of any value the land has. Or he could do the same to you.
Plus it will only enhace cheesing like Engalnd just stealing dev to London from Normandy in 1444 and leaving worthless land to French.
Also what is that even supposed to represent historically? Slaves?
>>
>>435167
That could take years tho. My guess is EU5 announcment in 2022 and release in 2024.
>>
>>435909
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1388492593
or
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1881890980
>>
You know you can go to the Meiou discord to ask to beta test 3.0? Maybe Ill upload it later.
>>
>>435995
>discord
Nein danke.
>>
>>435909
If the AI learns to dev push institutions, we are fucked
>>
>>436120
Nah. See >>435959
>>
>>436120
They don't actually know how, but they're so retarded with basic gameplay these days that they wrap around with stuff like development and effectively become galaxy brain. I just took over a 42 dev Samarkand from Transoxiana that almost spawned the Renaissance. Korea has done it twice in my games throughout the years. Of course, you have those central African tribes building mini-Wakandas all throughout the Great Lakes. Between that and the AI literally forming unholy alliances to try and stop you every time you get big, I secretly think that Johan is trying to make the most obnoxious experience possible.
>>
Can I get by for a bit and just play the base game? If not, what is absolutely required DLC?
>>
>>436578
>the AI literally forming unholy alliances to try and stop you every time you get big
I know this feel too well. In an Italy game, I got a coalition consisting of the Ottomans, France, Castile, Austria, the Commonwealth, and most of the HRE. However, I got so powerful that they won't even declare on me.
The only thing preventing me from expanding further is the tedium of dealing with hordes of enemies while trying to conquer land somewhere.
>>
>>436581
Buy the base game, pirate the DLCs using CreamAPI.
There is no reason to pay for Paradox DLCs
>>
>>436581
Just get the dlcs from the russian site
>>
>>436581
Before they realized what kind of clusterfuck they created with all the DLC, I would have said Art of War and Common Sense. Now that the big features, transfer occupation and development respectively, are a part of the base game along with many others from other DLC's, I honestly couldn't tell you. All I remember is that unless you have the DLC for your favorite non-Euro region, it's going to fucking suck. I would say pirate them instead like >>436584 and >>436588.
>>
File: Coalition.png (2.51 MB, 1680x1050)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB PNG
Castanor has way too much fucking dev. I took three provinces
>>
>>436658
What does the mages and adventurer estates do? And why are there so many farmlands? Also is it worth trying to make half orcs coexist?
>>
>>436658
The coalition wars are a pain, but it means that you will be a superpower once you consolidate the area.
When the not!Age of Absolutism hits, you'll also get a special CB that makes your blobbing even easier. Castanor becomes easy clay then.

>>436671
Mages give you mage companies and battlemages, both of which are incredibly powerful units.
Adventurers give you mercs, governing capacity, and unrest bonuses. I haven't found much else to them, though.
>Is it worth trying to make half orcs coexist
Coexistence is optimal for the most part, since each race gives a unique bonus to your provinces.
>>
>>436658
wat is this
>>
>>436658
I loved playing as Corvuria
>>
>>436658
for me it's the Blademarches
>>
Do vassals still give up unlawful territory?
>>
>>436783
I was *trying* to be blademarches this run, but the cunts south of me sniped it.
>>
>>435053
In general yes. Religious is better for some specific countries though, in particular countries that are surrounded by heretics/heathens. Orthodox countries get a lot especially. Byzantium and Russia benefit a lot from it, getting insane missionary strength and tolerance to true faith; basically you can convert fast enough that unrest ceases to be an issue.
Other countries that would benefit a lot are for example Ardabil and (one of the only Shia countries) and Ethiopia (one of the only Coptic countries).
>>
>>436810
Religious defensive ethiopia is fucking sick. Legitimately one of the most fun things to do is fort up and watch turks die like roaches 2ith 3% attrition ticks.
>>
>>436677
I dig the adventurer organization that gives you innovativeness and institution spread
>>
>>436658
Of course it has too much dev. Nearly every province in adventurer states area is grasslands and farmlands so the ai can dev it like crazy.
>>
>>436658
Gotta blob early in Escann to avoid the coalitions because the adventurer's missions give them something like 30 free dev each so the ae is insane if you let it brew.
Other option is of course just to wait until the age of witch-kings and use your OP as fuck comfy consolidation CB but that means fucking around for 200 years so screw that.
>>
>>436802
yes and i hate it
>>
Why this game lags so much on my PC? There's like a 15-20 fps on 5 speed.

Have no problem with Crusader Kings III and Imperator: Rome, but EU (also Hoi4 and Vic2) literally unplayable.

My specs:
i3-10100f cpu
gtx 1660 super gpu
16 gb ram
>>
>>436813
Same with Ardabil/Persia. Mountain forts, high mystycism, defensive edict, defensive ideas, policies. You can stack up ungodly amounts of fort defense.
>>
>>436833
I have played dorfs and escan adventurers, what other playthrough can you recommend, ideally something with interesting mechanics.
>>
File: 1608495786744.png (1.67 MB, 752x1075)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
>>436813
>When you convert the entire subcontinent of India to Coptic
>>
>>437307
As it should be. I mean it's called the oriental church, right?
>>
Is it odd that I'm more looking forward to seeing what anbennar does with these new mechanics than I am looking forward to actually playing with the new totemism and migration mechanics?
>>
File: 1608162605999s.jpg (4 KB, 209x249)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>437307
>>436813
>When the mamluks become defender of the faith, cutting you off from expansion
>>
>>437689
Defender of fate as it is curently implemented is fucking stupid and I wish it could be turned off.
>>
>>435995
mayo3 isnt fun though. unless they changed the the mana and gold cost to navigating the menus. i feel penalized for exploring the mod which ruins the whole experience
>>
>>437483
No. The main value of most DLC mechanics appears in the form of modders' utility, not as the mechanic itself.
>>
Is the colonial gameplay any better on Anbennar compared to vanilla?
>>
>>437756
Defender of the faith is fucking stupid.
>>
File: Liche.png (3.03 MB, 1680x1050)
3.03 MB
3.03 MB PNG
Is there any secret to this or should I just jam the most expensive option?
>>
>>438320
expensive
>>
>>438004
Could you share your great powers? I want to see who's the top dogs in Abennar.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.