[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 178 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: download.png (626 KB, 943x521)
626 KB
626 KB PNG
Why was there never a 4th game

shame they went to making puzzle games since it was really a one of a kind game
>>
File: warlords-3.png (1.55 MB, 960x720)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB PNG
Warlords > Warlords Battlecry
>>
>>401098
This game is the fucking pinnacle of comfy strategy. Including the live action cutscenes.
>>
>>401111
>>401098
ya the 2nd and 3rd games were the highest point of MSdos core
>>
>>401095
>Why was there never a 4th game
because nobody bought the first 3
>>
>>401095
I have played it so long ago I barely remember it; Tell me, what put it aside from other typical fantasy rts?

>>401098
this
>>
>>401178
>what put it aside from other typical fantasy rts?
A shitload of races to play that actually have different playstyles, RPG hero characters that persist between battles and have a huge impact on how your race plays (for example, the same race can have a much different playstyle if you play it with a Merchant hero, a Necromancer hero or an Assassin hero), individual units can level up as well and also persist between battles as your hero's personal retinue, etc.

The only really bad thing about the Battlecry games is that the balance isn't great and a few of the races are kinda shit, but with so many races to play that's basically inevitable. As long as you don't play with your heroes at ridiculously high levels (which breaks the already questionable balance in multiple ways, and not just because the heroes get too OP) it's a fun game fun no mater what your race/hero is.

I guess the zoomers on /vst/ might not like it very much since it leans pretty hard towards "gookclick" micro-heavy gameplay. Lots of units have special abilities to use and spells to cast, so in big battles you have to be constantly micromanaging everything to get the best results.
>>
>>401232
You have active pause. Micro is less issue, as long its single player
>>
>>401232
>in big battles you have to be constantly micromanaging everything to get the best results.
Bind the hotkeys for your lords spells to f1-12 and just mash when necessary
As for units they have spellcasting stances and dont suck at it at least in 3
>>
I remember I did a Elf Leader with her army being Lizardmen as a "YOU JUST KNOW" joke.
>>
>>401098
Hey i love both
>>
>>401098
No need for shitstirring, good faggot. Both of them can be appreciated here.
>>
OP here

long shot in the dark but anyone wanna play this shit with me? its been fucking years since ive actually posted about it and this is the first time people knew what the fuck i was talking about
>>
File: theidealman.jpg (66 KB, 460x460)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
KNIGHT CHADS RISE UP
>>
>>402912
GANG
>>
>>402417
>joke
Don't lie to us anon, we know you touched your dick.
>>
File: banewars.png (3.56 MB, 1920x1080)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB PNG
replaying WBC2 campaign with dark elves and banewars here for both RTS/TBS fixes
>>
>>401095
Warlords Battlecry: Definite Edition
Imagine!
>>
>>407664
That would be wonderful desu
>>
Should I jump straight to WBC3 or play the earlier games first?
>>
>>407664
Usually not a big fan of re-releases, but i'd love a definite edition of WBC2 since the fucking thing keeps bluescreening me.
>>
>>408171
I'm relatively new to the series and i've played all three in order, I'd say it was definitely worth it and ive had a lot of fun, but if you don't want to put in too much time into the series go for 3 immediately, it has the most content and is a pretty fucking fun game
>>
>>408171
Third game has the most factions and hero classes, class system has been simplified compared to first two games but its still good, first game has the least factions and classes but it has an pretty decent story campaign with a branching path and class upgrade system is race limited and more complicated, second game has map conquest campaign and more classes and races and the same hero upgrade system, third game has an adventure campaign on a big overworld map, hero system is as i mentioned simplified somewhat but it now allows every single race to use every single class which more than compensates for the old system in my opinion, all games have map randomisation which works pretty well for the gameplay style of these games and all the hero/race combinations give you a lot of room or fucking around/experimentation/roleplaying
>>
>>408958
>>408979
Thanks, I went ahead and started WBC3. I don't find the Risk-style campaign of WBC2 appealing even though a lot of people seem to prefer that.
>>
>>401098
What am I looking at?
>>
>>409231
Warlords 3
>>
>>401178
Real rpg rts done well
>>
whens new protectors patch ???????????
>>
I just beat a "treasure hunt" mission. I started wrecking the enemy base and I see chests laid about in their base but suddenly the enemy just surrendered and I didn't have the chance to get to the chests. What am I missing here?
>>
>>401098
too easy
>>
>>409417
Check their moddb page, soon hopefully
>>
>>401095
Warcraft 3 happened.
>>
>>409418
Do you have notification sound on? If not switch all sound and you have a little more time, before the victory announcement happens.
>>
>>410653
lol I just played another mission and I failed to reach a fallen hero's loot by like 3 seconds, that's pretty damn annoying
>>
>>401098
>>401095
Only played Warlords IV.
>>
>>401095
>>401175
>Why was there never a 4th game
Because strategy game fans live in the past and refuse to give new strategy games that aren't about WW2 a chance. It's also a very niche market and many of the people in that market are pirates so the potential for actually turning a profit is quite low.
>>
>>410732
That's the worst one, if you enjoyed it i highly recommend the other games
>>
>>409417
Soon ™
>>
>>413076
I can't wait to play the new and improved undead!
>>
>>402912
Knights suck.
>>
>>415799
Rude
>>
>>411008
I might, don't remember much of it desu.
>>
File: Untitled2.png (687 KB, 1024x768)
687 KB
687 KB PNG
>make character with high charisma
>big ass command radius
>rush enemy base and just start converting his buildings
>win

Then again I did bring along two veteran melee units accompanied by a healer to take care of the enemy hero
>>
Warlords battlecry 3 is peak comfy. I love stacking resource generation skills and then either spam tier 1 ranged units or get an extremely early titan.
>>
>>417339
Based, merchant best class
>>
>>417296
Based
>>
>>402242
In the original game you could just click s to bring up the spellbook and then every spell is bound to a number by default that just goes down the line. Unless you needed to swap through different schools or do a big spell in a hurry it works very well for fast spells since you didn't even need to have the hero selected.
>>
File: prisoners8.jpg (12 KB, 200x149)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>415799
>peasant hands typed this
>>
File: 34587235.jpg (187 KB, 750x1819)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
How goes your harem, Empire chads?
>>
>>401098
This looks like a worse heroes of might and magic.
>>
>>419281
They're very different games actually
>>
File: 13580764321.png (31 KB, 170x144)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>knights get fucked up by a whip despite all their armor and can't even attack back like doom knights can
>>
>>419284
...as far as turn-based fantasy strategy games go.
>>
>>417296
You can do the same with a warrior and just kill everyone.
>>
>>419739
How do you deal with towers? Seems like you have to be a pretty high level to be able to start tanking damage from them.
>>
File: Silver_helms.jpg (62 KB, 480x480)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>401095
>TASTE ELFEN STEEL
The Dragon Knight is the best unit. Unless the enemy has piercing
>>
>>419766
At first my Empire alchemist had to summon three stone golems just to tank one tower, now she can tank two towers (unless they have lightning or fire attack, and Ssrathi towers with poison seem to proc all the time every time). She can also whittle them down reasonably fast due to high armor and the lightningprochammer, but taking a base when there is a fighting-based hero or even some units that won't just die to the lightning proc isn't doable. In my opinion, if you want to take a base fast against AI, you try to find a corner where towers can't hit you, you take some units to bodyblock and you convert their town hall and military production building. It's easier to find a good spot against enemies like the swarm who have huge buildings. The slower, more reliable option is to have a faction such as barbarians which allow you to get trash units fast and then overwhelm the towers while no enemy mage/hero can oneshot them.
>>
I never figured out how to deal with the bullshit random crits 1 shotting my retinue or hero.
That *PTWANG* sound that cleaves make has been burned into my mind with how much it pissed me off.
Otherwise game is fine. I remember the Dark Dwarf Crystal Meth cannons that shot Sith Lightning were fun to play with.
>>
>>420383
get a higher combat skill, the difference between the attacker and defender determines critrate
>>
>>401098
I still don't get how the battle system works
always looks so random
>>
>>419766
Not really. A warrior with a suitable race can become a one-man army pretty fast.
Just look out for assassins.
>>
>>401095
>they went to making puzzle games
Despite the name, puzzle quest (at least the first one) wasn't really a puzzle. Its more like a nice open world RPG where the combat is an advanced version of bejeweled
>>
>>420832
I actually never played it but I want to try now
>>
>>421680
It's pretty fun for what's essentially a fantasy-themed match-three phone game. It's got enough mechanics going on that it's not just a bunch of Bejeweled levels.
>>
>>421680
Its unironically good (at least the first one)
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (169 KB, 871x656)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>420832
lmao they recycled assets from WBC
>>
>>422423
Old habits die hard
>>
>>422416
I know the second one got a lot of hate for some reason, but I still liked it.
>>
>>422423
Damn, it really is a warlords game
>>
File: Capture.png (1.72 MB, 1324x798)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB PNG
I have a feeling we're gonna get a small revival lads...
>>
File: Capture.png (1.45 MB, 1283x773)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
>>423095
might I add this is in addition to the teaser he gave in the Caves of Qud review

he's definitely planning something
>>
>>423095
>>423098
>implying
He references way more games than he actually makes videos for. At the rate he's making videos we might get a WBC review in 2035.
>>
>>423212
Hey, it's something. I'd appreciate a minor popularity boost this series could get
>>
>>401095
after looking at screens I thought it's some sort of a forgotten warhammer game
is this another example of a game trying to get Warhammer license, failing and making their own OC world?
>>
File: file.png (389 KB, 425x301)
389 KB
389 KB PNG
>>423410
Nah. It's likely that they took some inspiration from Warhammer Fantasy (those lizardmen definitely look a lot like Warhammer Sauruses), but the franchise as a whole has little to do with Warhammer other than being a similar generic fantasy setting.
>>
>>423410
the RTS series is based on the turn based series that plays like HOMM, Warlords
>>
File: Screen15.jpg (412 KB, 1024x768)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
I got this elite unit from a quest in one mission and he's overpowered as fuck. Here is him killing the enemy hero 2 minutes into a mission.
>>
>>424252
Love it when that happens, especially if my heroe is a spell caster, he needs bodyguards
>>
>>424341
*hero
I fucked it up
>>
>>424252
Yeah archons are fucking OP retinue units.
>>
>>408979
Campaign was by far the best in 1, with two having the best feel with races and heroes. 3 was probably the best technically, but the art style and simplification made it feel the least organic.
>>
>>419739
But that is the cool thing, anon, you can rock in many different ways.
>>
>>420785
Assassins are more fun than warriors. You get that wonderful feeling when you see the skull on an enemy hero.
>>
>>425604
Based dark elf assassins are my favourite class to play
>>
>>425604
Both are pretty broken, though Assassin more so.
>>
>>425592
True
>>
File: 01.png (1.24 MB, 1280x720)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>
>>428617
Wat dis?
>>
The most broken thing in WBC3 is still the helm that autocasts Life Ward when you attack. The Life Ward spell revives you with full HP when you die and there is no limit of how often the helm can apply Life Ward in a match.
>>
>>429368
It's a lot of fun to use desu
>>
Why is there no mod, that improves the wall building?
>>
>>431362
There is an unwritten rule in developing strategy games where you cannot have real walls if you are not stronghold
>>
>>429041
This is an old artwork I did a looong ass time ago of my healer and Dryad retinue.

Dryads (the wood elf general) are kinda busted at high xp levels
>>
>>431627
Based OC creator, looks great
>>
>>431627
Based, dryads are my favourite units
>>
>>429368
Best item
>>
>>431362
It's a shame but they aren't really necessary, i don'tnt even build them desu
>>
>>434099
I would build them if they don't suck to build.
>>
>>426939
I liked going Wood Elf Assassin and being an edgelord forest protector.
>>
Having not played the first one, between 2 and 3 the 2nd one was most fun imo. 3rd campaign was kind of janky, the buildings were too big, and the removal of speed effecting attack speed killed some races like the faeries and made the attack animations for some units very slow. 3 had broken ass items if i remember correctly, like that cloak which gave 50000 attack speed as well. Still, those games are a fond memory. My original CDs got damaged unfortunately, so i cant play then anymore.
>>
File: 1346458576975.png (422 KB, 946x592)
422 KB
422 KB PNG
>>434807
get with da times, grampa. nobobby uses cds anymore.
>>
>>434705
Based, i always roleplay with my heroes
>>
Which of the battlecries were the best?
>>
>>436483
3 as far as gameplay, 1 as far as story.
>>
anyhow any of you faggots wanna play? its my day off work and would love to shoot the shit playing either Warlords or Battlecry

starlessred#3041
>>
>>436483
2 honestly, the campaign, aesthetics, music, it was all perfect

3 had faster gameplay though, so 2 is a little slow
>>
>>436694
The only things 3 has going for it are the new races. The Knight/Empire split was a good change; Plaguelords and Swarm suck ass and should have been balanced better but are thematically interesting.
>>
>>419280
That's a good idea... hmm I've got work to do.
>>
Wait wasnt there a flash game with the same name or am i stupid?
>>
>accidentally replaced my level 12 reaver bro with useless fucking Ragnar that costs too much points to deploy anyway

AAAAAAÀAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>436910
Anon, I...
>>
>>436910
That's what you get for removing reavers from your retinue
>>
File: Lizardman_bleep.jpg (31 KB, 493x373)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>436534
I would but I hardly got time off.
>>
>>401095
Is this warhammer fantasy but not warhammer fantasy? That blue lizard looks familiar.
>>
What schools of magic have you had most success with?
Pyromancy seems to be a great all-rounder.
I recently re-installed and took up Healing magic and been having a blast. The idea of being able to rez my dead retinue makes me play more aggressively .

I never found the point of chaos magic.
>>
>>439439
Healing magic is strong for sure, always welcome. My paladin high elf was my favorite hero, although he was basically just a buffer hero.
I also really like divination. It gets kinda tiresome to constantly recast that spell that gives your new units more experience, but it has some good tools aside from that as well.
>>
>>439439
Necromancy or go home.
>>
>>439439
Summoning
>>
>>439439
Chaos magic is a gamble but great when you boost some cheep af units heavily, loke spiders or skeletons
>>
>>439439
I had a lot of fun with alchemy
>>
>>439259
It rips a fair deal from it.
>>
>>439259
Lizard faction is, map is partially similar to Warhammer map, warlords fuse a lot of motifs from variety of sources, you have 4 riders (clearly a reference to 4 biblical riders of the apocalypse, sartek-war), Anthrag- pestilence, Melkor- Famine, Bane-death) , 3 elven factions 2 dwarven factions and orcs clearly inspired by DnD and Tolkien, fey undead and demons inspired by DnD, barbarians inspired by Konan the barbarian, knights are just your average medieval european faction, empire might be inspired by Warhammer, i don't know much about them, plaguelords just combine a bunch of different DnD/homebrew fantasy creatures, might be partially inspired by Warhammer, i have no idea what they did with that faction, they feel like a clusterfuck, i like all the other factions and they feel good to play, plaguelords are just a clusterfuck as i said
>>
>>444956
I forgot the minotaurs, they might be DnD minotaurs, but they come from humans changed by Sartek to serve as his army basically, but he died and they use his skull as a titan, so like a superweapon, and they fucking hate the rider of death, bane, cause he screwed over their "god" Sartek, i have no idea if this is referencing something in Warhammer, im not that deep into Warhammer lore but if this resembles something there they could be, and there is the hive, they are literally just bugs, ants, wasps, scorpions, scorpionman, and they follow the rider of famine, they could just be referencing locusts or something, i dont know if they have inspiration in Warhammer or elsewhere else in fantasy
>>
>>444956
This sounds like a good mish mash of fantasy fun. Is Warlords the same universe? I got warlords battlecry 3 installed in my computer, but I only played for an hour trying to play as dwarves.
>>
>>445902
yes, it's the RTS spinoff series off the main games
>>423545
>>
>>439439
Alchemy - excellent for races that don't get access to trade - I can't even imagine playing dark elves in WBC2 without Transmute, so much useless metal. Bronze golems are also very good summons for their mana cost. Create Item is OP in WBC2, kinda useless in 3. Good magic sphere overall.
Healing - always useful, but less so for elves who get Elcor anyway, minotaurs, or swarm-style races.
Illusion - underrated in my opinion, very strong debuffs that can disable entire armies. It requires your hero to be near enemies though, so it's probably better for hybrids than pure casters (or at least you need enougth speed to run away). Some races already have easy access to psychological effects so it might not be such a good combo for them.
Pyromancy - as you said, it's a great versatile magic type. I found the damaging spells to be too inconvenient to use most of the time, but the buffs are excellent. Soul Flame and Berserk are excellent for races that don't have access to them normally, Firebreath can turn even the weakest units into building destroyers (it's especially good with skeletons or husks for destroying towers). Fire elementals are not very tough, but they make great hit-and-run units and can cause fear.
>>
Is runemaster the worst class in the entire warlords series? Even sage class can be useful if microed very carefully and if high level spells are used exactly at the right time, but runemaster is just shit
>>
>>445902
>Is Warlords the same universe?
Warlords 1+2 no.
Warlords 3 started the universe that battlecry takes place in.

Warlords 1 just has a single map, which has factions that were reused for the 'reboot' in Warlords 3.
Like Sirians, Lord Bane, Selentines.
>>
>>444956
Sorry /vst/ bros, but the only thing I hear upon seeing this map is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdvYNysLL6M
>>
>>448634
All good bro, many people enjoy puzzle quest
>>
>>448634
I kinda like it
>>
So that arius whatever guy is Bromega, why the fuck did he change his name, Bromega sounds so much better, if you're reading this there is still time to go back you absolute autist.
>>
>>451071
wat
>>
>>451091
Wrong thread, sorry about that
>>
Just started playing WBC2 again and oh god i prefer the overall aesthetic to WBC3 so much, i love 3, its a great game, but 2 is so consistent in style and more SOULFUL in comparison
>>
>>404937
My preference of Elfs being raped by monsters may have had an influence.
>>
>>453572
Lewd
>>
>>401098
Anon encounters OP

...and is victorious!
>>
>>439439
I always went summoning as Daemon
>>
>>453572
Jesus, anon...
>>
>>454817
Same
>>
>>422423
>>420832
I only played the demos which were pretty linear. And Galactrix for NDS, which was not as bad as some people said.
>>
>>428617
>>431627
Nice. Would fap.
>>
>>456823
>summon imps and succubus
>greater daemon summons imps
>the general guy summons daemon who can summon imps
I had fun
>>
>>456894
Good stuff
>>
File: 1520224347051.gif (1.64 MB, 360x282)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB GIF
>>444956
>partially similar
>partially
>>
>>456894
I stopped normally producing units, because I run out of unit space too quickly with how quickly you can summon.
>>
>>458246
Alright i fucked up there, I'm not that good at explaining
>>
>>458317
Exactly, high level summoner feels so satisfying to play
>>
File: AUAX.png (86 KB, 384x1168)
86 KB
86 KB PNG
I'm creating an open-source version with 3's races and 2's campaign and RPG systems. I even got Steve Fawkner's blessing, which made me cum a little.
>>
>>456885
puzzle quest and galactix weren't really that bad at all. I liked those games. Unfortunately same shit happened with the Kohan series. I'm pretty sure one of the original devs is working on Gems Of War.
>>
>>460253
Holy shit, based and good luck
>>
>>460253
Godspeed you crazy bastard and keep us updated if you can
>>
>>460253
Will it also have 2's bugs?
>>
>>460321
No it's a complete rewrite. Visually the same, but with bugfixes, better pathfinding, widescreen support, replays and some balance changes.
>>
>>460323
Sounds awesome.
>>
>>460253
>>460323
You've just made my day, anon, i would hug you right now if i could
>>
>>460253
>>460323
Dangerously based
>>
>>460323
If I had a daughter, she'd be betrothed to you.
>>
>>460253
If I was a woman I'd suck yo dick.
>>
>>460253
>>460323
Keep us posted fren
>>
>>460323
Holy fuck. Godspeed anon.
>>
>>460253
>>460323
Good luck.
>>
>>460253
I will stick with Protectors for now but good luck with that, sounds neat
>>
>>460253
>>460323
I hope you're not bullshitting, but if this is serious then godspeed you glorious faggot.
>>
>>460253
>>460323
Bless you and good luck
>>
>>401112
based. gonna install warlords 2 and battle isle 2 tonight
>>
>>460253
if you make a patron or some shit i'll be down to donate, you have no idea how much i need this shit. Also i'd be willing to help with programming or working in audio
>>
>>460253
Nice.
Please buff the Plague Lords
>>
>>460253
This>>468845 I don't know shit about programming but i would be down to support this, im sure more people will be interested if you put the word out
>>
Gentlemen i love wood eleves
>>
>>460253
Hori sheet, the hero we need.
>>
>>469694
This please, please focus on buffing the races that need it rather than nerfing others.
>>
>>471185
They kind of suck but I really like them too; they're the only elv*s I enjoy playing.
>>
>>471655
They are alright, i know they are weaker than other elven factions but i still love em
>>
I hate how boring the main Bae of the Demons is.
What would you give it as tech to develop, to make it more interesting?
>>
>>472760
Bae?
>>
File: Balora.png (9 KB, 144x144)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>473827
Balora is bae.
>>
File: wbc.png (46 KB, 812x822)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
Glad you guys would play a remastered version. It's still pretty early in development, as I started in January and spent some time reverse-engineering the file formats.

The game will be made public when it's at least barely playable, but in the meantime, if you know anything about C programming or UI design, any help would be more than welcome.
>>
>>474067
>C
Did you fall for a /g/ meme or something?
>>
>>474074
maybe he just fell and hit his head
>>
>>474067
Wish i was a programmer, as for ui i say old one is pretty usable so you don't have to bother too much with that
>>
>>473827
Sorry for replying so late.
I meant main base: The Doomspire.
It only has quasits to produce and offers nothing else.
>>
File: 1610676698967.jpg (20 KB, 144x144)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>473967
For me it's the succ.
>>
File: waifus battle cry.png (129 KB, 501x329)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
WHICH ONE?
>>
>>475037
>>474896
>>
Were there any mods or fixes to make the main menu always windowed or the same resolution as the rest of the game? The constant resolution switching pisses me off.
>>
>>474067
>Glad you guys would play a remastered version.
You have no idea how happy i am, as soon as you have something to show I'll shill you everywhere bro
>>
It boggles my mind that the studio never made a new version WBC4, the game was fantastic. And today with things like kickstarter they could do it easily. Did the main devs die or something like that?

The amount of races, the unit progression, the permanent heroes and generals, everything about it was so amazing, all it needed was an updated engine with new graphics and it would be a sure hit.
>>
>>475315
>with things like kickstarter they could do it easily
I think you're way overestimating kickstarter and/or underestimating the amount of money required to make a game that's up to modern standards.
>>
>>475315
Basically, the IP is "lost" to the devs, because parts of it belongs to Ubisoft. The devs are making much more money with Gems of War and other mobile games now.

For them, getting back the IP rights and creating a new RTS engine simply wasn't worth it.
>>
>>475601

>another game dead because of Ubishits

what a shame
>>
File: 1616017908027.webm (2.86 MB, 360x544)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB WEBM
>"I am INVINCIBLE!!!!"
>>
>>475601
How long would it take for Ubisoft to loose the rights,if they don't make any more games with it?
>>
>>476438
Probably decades, rights laws are a bitch
>>
>>475601
Fucking hell both warlords and heroes of might and magic, fuck Ubisoft
>>
File: screenshot3.png (788 KB, 1109x781)
788 KB
788 KB PNG
>>478887
Nothing prevents anyone from making a spiritual sequel.
>>
>>423431
There is also an event in the WBC world happening called the brothers war and the dark elves were former high elves as well.
>>
>>475863
>5'11 vs 6'0
>>
>>479482
>dark elves were former high elves
That's every dark elf in any setting though
>>
>>479629
In 40k it's more or less the reverse. All Eldar (or at least the vast majority of them) used to be like the Dark Eldar. They literally murderfucked an entire new god into existence before some of them went "yo actually that's not cool" and became celibate bitches.
>>
>>475601
Why would the IP even matter to make a successor for Warlords Battlecry?

The setting is generic medieval fantasy, the story is nonexistent and the Warlords Battlecry name is already tarnished by WB4 anyways.

They could just make a game with the same mechanics and call it Warmasters Battleshout or something.
>>
>>480277
That's kinda hilarious to think about
>>
>>480277
>Fucking up so bad in your civilization you essentially become nuns to repent.
That's actually interesting.
>>
>>475863
Poor little guy
>>
>>419432
I WILL FEAST ON SOULS AND DARKNESS
salamander horde with demon support is so fun
>>
Is Warlords: Battlecry 1 worth getting back to or should I go straight to 3? I played the first one back in the day but I fear bouncing off of archaic design.
>>
>>483924
WBC1 has the best story in the series, but otherwise 3 is better in every way.
>>
>>483930
>>483924
WBC1 was Shakespeare for me as a boy, it was moving.

I dunno if it would hold up for me now. I'm a bit scared to try.
>>
>>434807
If you do not pick pirate option or rebuy them online there is still Protectors standalone mod. I did that.
>>
>>483924
It have its charm, especially with how player character progress but skirmish is to limited when compared to rest. So play it only if you want to replay campaign
>>
>>483924
i tried the first one, then i got really hooked on the second one. the campaign looks really appealing, probably try 3 after the daemons take over the world
>>
>>474423
their weather effect is handled by the lightning spire, also acting as a magic attack tower. what attribute would you give their main building?
>>
File: 1616360185864.gif (1.54 MB, 480x264)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB GIF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oYz8mv0cQo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmgJJSKwqPI
>>
>>484429
Same composer perhaps?
>>
>>484861
>>484429
in the early 90s sound effects these "epic" criminated soundtracks were incredibly expensive to create so a lot of composers and game sound designers would use sample CDs and incorporate them into their music. Its just like how trap all recycles the same snare and clap sounds.
>>
>>485205
>>484861
>>484429
[part 2]

surprised you guys didn't post the most blatant reuse of music in the series
https://youtu.be/REjNLP0ODl4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-gnjMemqdE
>>
>GoG puts Battlecry 1 and 2 on sale
Clever girls
>>
>>482740
Well they DID create a new chaos god. Who exterminated vast majority of their race. Survivors either tried to repent and destroy chaos whenever possible(eldar) or went even more crazy and perverse(dark eldar) to please new deity and avoid extermination.
>>
>>485426
>to please new deity and avoid extermination
Don't Deldar do it just for shits and giggles still? They're not exactly worshipping the chaos gods and are about prolonging their own lives to escape Slaanesh while also just indulging themselves because they didn't learn their lesson.
Least as far as I understand it.
>>
>>485434
>>485426
Yeah most Dark Eldar hate and fear Slaanesh just as much as Craftworld Eldar, they just have a very different strategy for avoiding him/her.

First of all they usually hide out in the old ruins of the Webway, in particularly their capital which is entirely built within the Webway. Since the Webway is neither in Realspace nor in the Warp this makes it much harder for Slaanesh to reach them. However, Slaanesh would still claim them if they die, so they developed a way to become immortal by consuming the tortured souls of their victims.

Craftworld Eldar would also be claimed on death, so they hide their souls in soulstones to keep them out of Slaanesh' reach.
>>
>>485458
>they developed a way to become immortal by consuming the tortured souls of their victims
That's metal af, damn, didn't know 40k "elves" were like that
>>
>>485506
>That's metal af
That was basically the basis of original 40k.
>>
>>485506
Most of 40k is just a metal album cover as a setting. Unfortunately that also means that the further into it you read the sillier it gets as a world.
>>
File: dogger.jpg (83 KB, 694x788)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>460253
Keep us posted, you wonderful person
>>
>>484012
How about a special spell, like Ssrathi and the Swarm.
Cost 300 crystals: Every demon within a certain range of the doom spire is teleported to a random other doom spire.
>>
>>485688
I'm finishing the boring stuff now, so not much to show yet unless you're a fan of texture compression.

After that I'll work on the pathfinding so I'll be able to post webms.
>>
>>486130
Any plans for a github/discord place or somewhere to get organized better?
>>
>>486137
Yes, I'm just not that good at this community stuff yet. I think it's too early but if you guys want to follow along anyway, I could create a discord to discuss balancing or post programming stuff.
>>
File: 1610867782065.png (220 KB, 414x416)
220 KB
220 KB PNG
>>486137
>>486154
>discord
Please don't.
>>
>>486154
Make a github or gitgud.io
>>
>>485206
no one played heroes 4 long enough for it to matter
>>
>>486107
seems like one of those things you wouldn't use until you already effectively won the game. daemons are resource hungry all the time
>>
>>486154
please god do not make a discord for ideas men to shitpost in
>>
>>484429
>>485206
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtfqPKLKcSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u0qn-6QcAw
>>
>>486307
Yeah i mean to be fair the whole soundtrack of heroes 4 was lackluster compared to the first 3 games

>>486322
Im going to have to give it to Fawkner, he definitely used the sample better
>>
>>486172
Why?
>>
>>486456
https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html
>>
>>486322
>>488222
Damn
>>
>>488222
Where's barneyfag when you need him.
>>
>>489395
Anon you fool
>>
>>488222
Wtf, i didn't expect this
>>
>>489395
Anon, NO!
>>
What is your favorite hero portrait in WBC? For me it's pic related.
>>
Warlords Battlecry 3 minimizes on launch and can't be brought back up. I've never seen the main menu
>>
>>498814
Fixed nevermind
>>
File: file.png (6 KB, 98x98)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>498135
>>
File: 32174_pyromancer.jpg (358 KB, 1200x1200)
358 KB
358 KB JPG
>>499298
Good choice, this one is my second favorite.
>>
File: Orcpage (1).png (93 KB, 248x249)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>498135
You already posted it but my second one is this one, this orc just looks intimidating and powerful
>>
>>419916
>ELFEN
>not elven
i suspect trollery
>>
>>498135
For my Undead Deathknight I always prefer this.
>>
>>489395
>>489400
>>492915
>>488591
there is no barneyfag, its just a bunch of people larping at this point
>>
>>498135
Even as Undead fag I must admit this one is best
>>
>>498135
That one but i wish there was a variant without the blood
>>
File: 16921426.jpg (39 KB, 500x486)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Wait, how the FUCK does Ubisoft own Warlords as well? They are sitting on HoMM and Warlords Reeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
So, what most canadian race in warlord series?
>>
>>502957
Fey
>>
File: Ancient_Treant.png (5 KB, 144x145)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>502957
Wood Elves.
>literally leaves
>>
I've been dicking around with hero/class combinations a bit and I'm wondering, could Dark Elf Monk be better than Dark Elf Assassin in the long run?

Assassin will obviously have higher Assassination skill, but that's basically all it has. DE Monk will get Assassination online later, but at higher levels getting more attacks speed from Swiftness seems like it would give better returns than just adding another 1% assassination chance, since more attacks means more assassination attempts. Monk is also the better fighter without assassination though that's likely not very relevant.
>>
>>502957
Well, tell me, who lives in north Warlords world
>>
>>503118
>fey
>hate outsider
>in WBC 3 they always ambush you until be friend & ally with them
Nahh
>>
In WBC1 do towers not shoot unless you put archers in them?
Also is there a point to human knights? They cost so much and take so long to build they seem pointless.
>>
>>503737
They still shoot
I rarely even put people in towers in any of these games unless its really important strategic position (or want somebody to be safer for while)
>>
>>503338
DE assassin was always my favourite but its possible, never really played a monk, try it out
>>
>>401095
I had an idea for a WLBIV. But it was more on making the heroes more like the rune warriors from the original Spellforce in terms of sheer customization not only looks but stats and arsenal of gear, spells and abilities.
Now that I think about it, it could use some more variety to make the various factions differ as much as possible. Would need to work on it though.
>>
>>504604
As long as the RTS gameplay doesn't become like Spellforce I don't think that's a bad idea.
>>
>>503328
They might be the weakest eleven faction but i love them damn it!
>>
>>506690
*Elven
>>
>>401095
I've never actually managed to get into this series, although I own all the games on GOG. If I want to give the series a go, which part will be the best to start with?
>>
>>506713
rts > tbs in this case
>>
>>401095
Wait, I can only play as human in the WB 1 campaign? That's disappointing.
>>
>>401095
I tried it but the first few missions were so fucking slow and drawn out I dropped it.
>>
>>410852
it's important that I larp as a fascist
>>
>>410852
This applies to pretty much every long standing game genre. Every MMO is WOW for example. It's a big part of why I have a hard time picking up RTS games. They all feel like they barely progressed since C&C if they aren't straight up clones. If it's the same long out slow paced start I've seen 100x and everything they've shown me so far I've seen in any other RTS I just drop it.
>>
>>506751
but that post is bullshit. there are more non ww2 strategy games. cannot blame ww2 gamers for the fall of warlords or any other series of this genre
>>
>>506713
I started with first WBC personally but you can play any game in the series in amy order you want, try them out and see what you like thse most
>>506726
You will get to control other races later in the campaign
>>
>>506758
Idk about the WW2 stuff, but from my perspective almost every new RTS is a clone of C&C, WC3, mayyyybeeee Dungeon Keeper too if you really want to stretch the definition. Things like 8-bit armies for example. Even older RTS' have this problem aside from the landmark ones. There's little variation between the games.
>>
>>506751
>>506868
Yup, the genre just stagnated too hard since the beginning as is bound to happen when a few titles dominate. Things like Warlords or Stronghold were the outliers which never got enough traction
>>
>>506741
>it's important that I larp as a fascist
Agree; someone should mod burgers into WBC.
>>
>>503328
I prefer regular treants to ancient ones, much more aesthetically pleasing
>>
>>503338
It does sound better, I'll make a DE monk as well and see how it goes
>>
>>502502
They do, it fucking sucks
>>
>>510204
Let's see how good you look when you hit 10,000
>>
File: Doom_Knight.jpg (9 KB, 480x269)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>515200
Pic related
>>
>>504619
Whats the issue with spellforce? I didn't play it yet
>>
File: knightchud.png (154 KB, 800x747)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
Where our /K/nightlord?!

KNIGHTLORD RULE!!
>>
File: Knightpage.png (90 KB, 248x249)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>527515
Dangerously based
>>
>>527515
>Knightchud
Kek
>>
File: feeding frilled lizard.gif (1.94 MB, 285x184)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB GIF
Does harder multiplayer AI give the player the ability to find better items for their leader?
>>
>>529170
I don't think it does, i usually just put number of neutral buildings to max and get stuff from lairs
>>
>>527515
>Gets raped by harpies.
>>
whens new protectors
>>
whens warlords battlecry 4
>>
>>539271
Sadly never, why don't you try out The Protectors instead?

https://www.moddb.com/games/the-protectors
>>
>>539303
I've already tried it.

I'll try it again when it actually get finished.
>>
>>527515
>just can't stop leveling
They hate us cuz they ain't us.
>>
>>539309
>I'll try it again when it actually get finished.
Look at this dude
>>
>>539271
After papa steve give his warlords IP to Microsoft
>>
>>503542
Fey are a lot of fun desu, having fully upgraded army of fairies rip through hordes off armoured warriors and massive beasts is never going to be not satisfying for me
>>
>>548480
One of my most memorable early game was me as knights playing against the fey. I didn't realize how much they also rely on level ups and the map turned into an absolute clusterfuck after a while; it was fun and frustrating at the same time,
>>
>>549151
Based, those battles are really damn fun
>>
>>553167
>The knights returned from the war as unstoppable super-human killing machines
>"Sir Cantor, what foes did you best to become so mighty? What challenges did you face?"
>"I killed a bunch of little girls."
>>
>>401095
wbc 2 > wbc 3
fite me
>>
>>555104
I just wish the fucking thing didn't bluescreen on me whenever i tried to play it.
>>
>>555104
I love both but 2 has better art direction
>>
>>555104
2 has a better campaign and class system though I do miss the new factions - even if swarm and plague lords are a mess. He's hoping that mod anon who was posting earlier can deliver.
>>
>>555104
I can't you are just right. 2 has better looking menu and good looking art, Alister Lockhart is a great artist.
>>
>>555104
I like playing as dwarves MUCH more in 2 for some reason.
>>
File: Shadowtroll.png (59 KB, 397x500)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
>Quickly being elite unit by slain your retinue & units
>Instants lvl 18 by slain your hero
Nothin personnel
>>
>>560702
Kek, nice one
>>
>>560702
Why are undead always the most based faction
>>
>>527515
So who the enbie since chud are knight lord?
>>
What are the best retinue units to have? White mages, demons, and summoners seem like the obvious choices.
>>
>>569163
For me it's usually general units, and for my mages minotaur kings and t rexes, also protectors mod allows for dragons in retinue
>>
>>569163
One white mage or unicorn, few generals of your race and if possible minotaur kings.
>>
Is Barad Dumyr in wbc2 meant to keep the red team trapped in the upper corner? Seems like the map is broken.
>>
>>569163
you've never used high level dryads have you?
>unit speed also affects unit attack
>high as fuck magic damage
>they're made of paper but when an enemy gets close you can almost always outrun them
At least if you're talking wbc2. In 3 they nerfed the attack speed. But got I love demolishing enemy bases in the blink of an eye with them
>>
File: 1620024598839.png (54 KB, 1366x768)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>>527515
>>560702
So drawfag, if possible any idea of this pose related to warlord & wbc? I'm sure this gonna be fun
>>
File: 1540550063280.png (281 KB, 1000x785)
281 KB
281 KB PNG
>>573978
Of course I use dryads, Titania was part of the peace treaty.
>>
>>574359
Nice
>>
i used to play warlords darklords rising a fuckton as a kid, but never played any of the battlecry games. which is the best one?
>>
>>569163
Archons. They are great for hit and run attacks and assassinating enemy heroes:
>flying
>good speed
>high fire damage = good for destroying buildings
>x2 damage against evil units, and there are a lot of them
>some healing capability which is surprisingly strong when there's a group of them and you have the faster mana regen upgrades
I stopped using them in my retinue because I found them too OP honestly.
>>576665
3 is generally considered the best.
>>
>>576665
1 has a campaign. 2 is more risk-like than 3 and in my opinion is superior thanks to the better leveling system and race balance. 3 is good and allows more freedom than 2 when making your character.
>>
File: 1541840057853.jpg (19 KB, 388x392)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
Is there any way to make chaos magic good in wbc2? I can't even buff goblins reliably.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.