[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 28 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Hold_the_line.jpg (506 KB, 1920x1200)
506 KB
506 KB JPG
>Mfw there is a very high chance that almost everyone that uses this board has either never heard of this game or never played it
Is this how it feels knowing that I'm literally the last person that's played this game in god knows how long?
>>
I've played Darwinia but never Multiwinia. I just wanted them to make a new Uplink desu
>>
>>366414
borewinia
>>
>>366414
Damn, Darwinia and Uplink, there’s a couple games I haven’t thought about in a long long long time. I convinced my brother’s buddy I was really hacking computers in Uplink.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 357x263)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>
>>366430
Multiwinia is surprisingly fun, in a chaotic way. It has better unit models then base game Darwinia but it kinda changes the controls a bit. Nothing too radical however
>>
>>366437
I own Uplink but haven't played it yet, kinda turned off by the whole "hacker" gameplay thing but I might give it a try eventually
>>
>>366437
Same. My sister walked in on me playing that game and ratted me out to my mom.
>>
>>366414
funny, i was thinking of making a thread about those screaming little Darwinians going SCREEEEEEEE then this happened
>>
File: 1600228265238.png (379 KB, 798x455)
379 KB
379 KB PNG
>>366452
>mfw your Darwinian throws a grenade into your own army and kills a huge section of your own Troops
>mfw they all scream while burning to death
>>
>>366430
>I just wanted them to make a new Uplink desu
Mah nigga
>>
I only know these exist because it's the same dev as DEFCON desu
>>
>>366430
God please
>>
>>366532
Same. I've considered playing, but it seems like something I have to look up tutorials for rather than figuring out myself. OP! Convince us to play these games!
>>
>>366414
Played Darwinia. Was very dissapointed
>>
>>366414
I found the story quite cool. Especially how the Darwinians split up in between Darwinia and Multiwinia.
>>
Darwinia was one of those games that was 'forced cool', probably because of the way it deconstructed the genre in that post-modern neo-marxist way that appeals to anyone and everyone who has worked in the gaming media (all media) over the past couple of decades.

It's a fairly well made game, fun for what it is but the hype was overblown and it really is nothing special or thousands of people would be playing it and enthusing about it. It was trendy to like it and play it in the way 'Papers please' was trendy a few years ago, that weird kind of establishment sanctioned cool, it's Coldplay gaming.

Uplink however is a bona fide classic.
>>
>>366778
There was a definite leftist subtext to the plot too, and more than a touch of the avant garde about it, pretentious bullshit really, a game for the modern art fan.
>>
>>366731
DEFCON from my experience is really best when played online or with friends. Playing against the AI gets boring due to how predicable it is. Darwinia and Multiwinia I've played alot more of but here is the rundown for both:
>Darwinia
Darwinia is a singleplayer only game but its a short but really enjoyable one. Has simple controls and I highly recommend you turn off the pixelation effect on units in the settings. Only real problem I have with the game is that it can get very micromanagey near the end of the game but its not too bad. There is also a level editor you can unlock at the end of the game and back in this game's heyday apparently there were a shit-ton of mods available. Unfortunately most of which are no longer obtainable due to the main forum of the game dying a couple of years back along with the site that hosted the downloads for them
>>
>>367074
>Multiwinia
Multiwinia is pretty much a modified Darwinia made for Multiplayer. Some of the controls have been changed here and there but otherwise everything remains the same from Darwinia. There are multiple gamemodes and games can have up to 4 players. The map selection is surprisingly large for a game of this size but you can only play certain maps on certain gamemodes. As for gameplay the best experiences I've had for this game is playing with 3 or 4 people due to how chaotic things get towards the midgame. In Multiwinia there are these crates that drop down that grant either boons, such as units, reinforcements, or gun emplacements, and etc; or fuck you over. for example: by spawning in NPCs that target everyone including you. This can be edited in the settings but can be turned off completely if you hate fun. Sadly, like Darwinia, the playerbase is pretty much non-existent and died off a long time ago. I used to have a few buddies I'd play the game with but I'm not in contact with them anymore and literally no one I know currently knows about this game or is really even interested in giving it a try.
Also the soundtracks for Darwinia and DEFCON are kino and I've had them on my PC for years
>>
>>366414
I've played a demo, I think I got it in a box of cereals.
>>
File: 1550684941731.png (202 KB, 635x541)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
>>367378
>demo
dear god, I just realized that those were a thing back when this game came out. What the hell happened? I remember being able to download a demo for a game back in those days to try it, which lead me to get the game later because I knew I would enjoy it. Damn, the game industry has changed pretty dramatically in the past 16 years
>>
>>367435
a demo of your product allows people to ascertain if it is good or bad, and since all video games have been bad for some time demos would do more harm than good. simple shit really.
>>
>>367463
doesn't help that video game devs and their handler companies have been more and more anti-consumer in recent years.
>>
File: Uplink_OS.png (148 KB, 1920x1080)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
>>366430
Have you tried the 2016 mod 'Uplink OS', or the game 'Hacknet'?
>>
>>368332
Not him, but I'm gonna tell my opinion anyway. Hacknet is pretty good, and thats pretty much it about it. Uplink OS seems pretty pointless tho, since you can just play the original Uplink
>>
>>368357
It's easier on the eyes and also resolution that isn't for ants at least.
>>
>>368358
Oh yeah, that also applies to Hacknet. Why couldnt they have just made the GUI, and the writing scale to the resolution? When I play Hacknet, I pretty much always set the lowest rseolution available
>>
i played darwinia when it camo out and can't remember a single damn thing about it. so i guess it was very mediocre.
>>
>>368361
The interface is trying to resemble what you get in a bare bones window manager on Linux. As you saw, text scaling was crap just like in the i3 WM.
Bug? Feature? Who knows, the devs were probably lazy.
t. /g/entooman on KDE
>>
>>368397
XFCE is better than KDE, you scrub
>>
>>367435
why have the customer test your product when you can show him a pre-rendered footage of the game with an unexpected cover of a classic hit playing over it?
>>
>>366414
Never played it myself, but I watched others do. Very interesting art style. Are devs making any new games for this series?
>>
>>368677
I don't exactly know, last I checked they were releasing prototypes of games that never got finished or were abandoned on their website
>>
Anyone interested in getting a game of Multiwinia going?
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198101851870/
>>
>>366778
>>366792
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Darwinia
>>
I've played the demo of Darwinia, but I've been fixated on Multiwinia because of 2D-pixel men blobbing gameplay.
>>
>>367435
They're making a comeback now that the market is totally saturated and indies need some way to stand out.
>>
Multiwinia is a very good fun 15 min RTS with friends.
>>
bump
>>
last bump

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.