[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 46 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

ever noticed the significance of faction color in game.
Blue is always good and red is always evil
>blue human vs red orcs
>blue allies vs red nazis
>blue french vs red british
>>
>>363590

>French
>Good at anything
>>
File: cinderella.jpg (48 KB, 340x502)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>363590
Well it looks like you got your answer in the second example. WW2 fucked with everyone's brains so red agressive invader bad, blue calm defender good. I wonder if you can find the same pattern before 40's. I can only think of dracula doing the whole black and red evil thing beforehand, and can't think of any blue examples.

I've read a ton of folklore fairytales, and I think it used to be bright vs dark or white vs black. Think of any grimm tale or cinderella or any slavic baba yaga tale. Tolkien too.
>>
>>363590
>>blue allies vs red nazis
what fucking game has the nazis red and not grey?
>>
>>363672
Company of heroes
>>
>>363590
In Stronghold Crusader the player can only be red, even to a point where one of the AI quotes is "the red sky is nearing the Sultan's fortress".

>>363672
The color on the minimap and banners, silly.
>>
>>363590
Rise of Legends wants a word with you
Giacomo and co. (who can be argued that are the good guys) are red
Doge (who casually commits genocide) is blue
Sawu (who is posessed by an evil lava lamp) is purple
Czin (who just wants to call home) is cyan
>>
>>363590
You can thank the Cold War for that.
>>
>>363590
>red is always evil
Romans are red and almost always the protagonists.
Also the Horde from WC3 onwards.
>>
>>363772
It's actually an older stereotype than that.
The red was opfor even during WW2 where the colorless allies and red soviets fought hand in hand against the colorless Axis.
>>
>>363611
Good at the 100 year war
>>
>>363772
>Implying mutts were the good guys
>>
>>363590
Nope, Orange Star vs Blue Moon
>>
>>363590
Basic Biology. They didnt make all signs telling you to stop red cause of aesthetics but because it triggers your monkey brain.
>>
File: Безымянный.png (486 KB, 816x617)
486 KB
486 KB PNG
>>363590
>Blue is always good and red is always evil
Not really, only in games made by brainwashed wectoid scum. Games made by normal people not brainwashed by the Cold War propaganda always have red as the default colour.
>>
>>364173
They were not, but they are brainwashed to believe that they were and produce media in accordance with that.
>>
>>364237
I could've sworn the player Castle in the H3 Erathia campaign was blue, but no, they are actually red. I must've mixed them up with H5.
>>
>>363590
I actually got super confused when playing Tiberian Dawn/Sun thanks to that, because GDI was gold, not blue.
Although C&C 3 makes their interface blue for some fucking reason and every cutscene has a blue tint, which combined with gold units makes it look fucking hideous.
>>
>>363590
Warcraft campaign gave you a different color based on your nation/clan so you would cycle through the colors.
>>
>>364237
>>
>>363639
Red has always been associated with passion violence and agression. Violence and aggression haven't been condemned by all (or most) societies.
>>
>>364712
>Red has always been associated with passion violence and agression.
where/when
>>
>>364712
>Red has always been associated with passion violence and agression
Red has always been associated with beauty, kindness, leadership, nobility, fertility and pride. Stop consuming American Cold War propaganda, schizo.
>>
>>363590
this is only in the west. in Russia and Russian games, Redfor is the good side and Blufor is the bad side.
>>
>>365367
Also festivities. That guy sounds like some sort of art student.
>>
File: redfor.png (419 KB, 610x271)
419 KB
419 KB PNG
>red is evil
I bet the Lutherans are behind this.
>>
File: Rhianne_(1).png (668 KB, 800x576)
668 KB
668 KB PNG
>green are the good guys
>red are the better guys
>blue are the baddies
>gold are pure evil
>>
>>365437
examples?
>>
>>363678
>In Stronghold Crusader the player can only be red, even to a point where one of the AI quotes is "the red sky is nearing the Sultan's fortress".
My master has need of the following goods. Please send them immediately!
>>
>>364185
Blue Moon aren't bad guys. Black Hole is. Dumby.
>>
>Russoids start screaming and crying hysterically at the slightest suggestion at red being bad
New iron curtain when?
>>
we accept your surrender
>>
>>363590
>Blue Atreides
>Red Harkonnen

Which is funny because the Harkonnens actually call Leto The Red Duke in the book because his emblem is a red hawk and Paul adopts a green and black banner for his Jihad, so no blue at all. I was an Ordos chad though.
>>
>>365543
>Aeon
>Good guys
>>
>>365626
Yes.
>>
>>365616
It’s even funnier with the Harkonnen. In the books their symbol is a blue griffin, their flags orange and their uniforms also blue. No bulls no red.
>>
In Eastern Front wargames the Soviets are typically red and Nazis are gray or blue. But yeah this isn't the usual convention.
>>
blue is the color of calmness while red is usually the color of aggression

color theory bitch
>>
>>364848
>>365367
UGHH..... STUPID MUTTS RUINING EVERYTHING, ITS ALL THEIR FAULT THAT RED DOESN'T REPRESENT MY NOBLE TRADITIONAL VALUES ANYMORE..... SINCE WHEN HAS RED REPRESENTED DANGER?? ITS ALL COLD WAR PROPAGANDA!!!!
>>
>>365937
>Here are two particular instances of vague similarity with the original argument, therefore the nowadays perception of the red colour in western culture has nothing to do with Cold War American state propaganda, USA is innocent and dindu nuffin
Fuck off, mutt.
>>
File: qt-a_dg4.gif (1 KB, 324x216)
1 KB
1 KB GIF
>>366009
So clinically obsessed you had to change your entire argument from "red's association with violence is due to americans" to "americans being anti-soviet had some influence on red in general." Enjoy having mutts living inside your head for the rest of your life, retard.
>>
>>366215
No, brainwashed drone, American Cold War propaganda has direct influence on the perception of the red colour among the brainwashed propaganda consumers to this day.
>>
>>363590
I guess Earth 2150 strays away from that.
While the "good guys" LC are still blue (because moon), the bad guys ED are green. And funnily enough they are based on Soviet Union. The guys with the red coloring are the American UCS and they are... neutral let's say.
It gets even weirder in the prequel where you only have UCS (red) and ED (green).
>>
>>366241
Rent free, you rancid, dripping cunt.
>>
>>365937
>>366009
>>366215
>>366241
>>366264
You're all fucking retarded. The pic related explain that since the middle ages, red has signified war/violence/danger. Was Soviet Russia around during the middle ages? Let me know if it was and I missed something in history class.
>>
>>366341
>The pic related explain that since the middle ages, red has signified war/violence/danger
No, anon, the pic just shows that in some particular cases (Roman god and visual signal transmission in Europe) red colour signified aggression or warning. None of those have anything to do with Cold War American state propaganda in media and none of the examples eliminate all the other connotations of the colour. That's like saying that green had definite arsenic connotations, therefore green is the colour of poison and WWI gas attacks, not the colour of youth, spring, life and vegetation.
>>
>>366264
>you rancid, dripping cunt
Nah, thank god I'm not an American.
>>
>>364256
This is the good shit. Blizz also did that for SC, which means autists can now argue which pro matches are canon depending on player colors.
>>
>>365470
Kek.
>>
>>363590
>french
>good

>british
>evil
what did he mean by this
>>
File: gcjz8qs44tw31.png (1.61 MB, 1075x951)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB PNG
>>366853
>t.
>>
>>366871
not an argument
>>
>>366853
>*nglo-s*xons
>Not the root and the cause of all evil on the planet
What did *nglo propaganda mean by this?
>>
>>366927
continentals please do not post
>>
>>366853
>perfidious albion is evil
More news at 11.
>>
>>366853
What are you talking about, the only time the british have been the good guys in history, is when they've sided with the french.
The anglo brain is not capable of independently thinking about morality.
>>
>>364173
>One soulless dystopia is better than another soulless dystopia
>>
File: 1590271429178.jpg (408 KB, 1080x729)
408 KB
408 KB JPG
>>366927
>>367028
>>367400
>>
>>367555
>dying anglos and jews dead in the cradle
If only.
>>
>>367562
Where are you from
>>
>>367555
Unlike Jews the Anglo actually committed all crimes he is accused of.
>>
>>363590
>Napoleon
>Good
>>
>>367569
Anglos did some bad things but I believe you will find that we did more good than bad overall, you are just jealous because you were never an almost global empire.
>>
>>367586
>we did more good
name one (1) thing
>>
>>367593
Does invention count?
We wanted to bring civilization to pooland but they still refuse to shit in the loo
>>
>>367400
the british have never not been the good guys
>the french
nice revolution there guys
>>
>>368118
the brits have been the second most evil race for 500 years
>>
>>368120
so are you french or german
>>
>>368136
at least you didnt try to deny it
>>
>>368147
mad lefty
>>
I remember playing Heroes 3 for the first time and thinking it's not right that Castle/Erathia forces were red.
Same with Sons of Korhal in Starcraft, but this actually sorted out pretty quick.
Blood & Magic did a fun twist to this trope - red "crypt" forces were actually the good side, and blue "barracks" forces were the baddies.
>>
File: 20210115_072013.jpg (46 KB, 724x592)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>363590
>>363639
>allies
>blue
Nice opinions you got there
>>
>>367595
t.ignorant *nglo
>>
File: based UN.jpg (41 KB, 750x342)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>369897
>united nations
>good faction
proving OP's point
>>
>>365543
More like
>Green are zealot nutjobs
>Red are transhumanist terrorists
>Blue are authoritarian xenophobes
>Gold are special genocidal supremacists
>>
>>369339
Mengsk did nothing wrong
>>
>>369948
The fuck are you talking about nigger? OP and that other guy talked about the Allies being "blue". Which parallel universe is that from? Pic rel has more red than blue.
>>
>>366646
Anon, most poisons in games and cartoons are signified by green.
>>
>>363590
>>363672
>>blue allies vs red nazis
IIRC that's the originator of this trope. US generals used blue for Allied Forces and red for Axis Powers on their maps.
Also it used to be that red was the color of the ruling party and blue of the challenging party in politics, but IIRC as late as Obama it was codified into blue for Democrats and red for Republicans.
>>
File: Fusiliers2.jpg (262 KB, 2000x1333)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>370012
I should probably mention that I learned about the Allies/Axis thing from a /tg/ book, explaining why the best faction chose blue as their colour (they want to be perceived as "the good guys").
On that note, the default colour for Space Marines in 40k is also blue. It still looks wrong to me, since I'm a DoW kiddie.
>>
>>369339
>thinking it's not right that Castle/Erathia forces were red.
It is rather weird considering the flag of Erathia is blue & white and all castle units wear those colors.
>>
>>369988
And I just explained why in the very post you're responding to. Yet despite of these particular connotations the colour green is by and large associated with youth, life, spring, etc. Same with red, only this time the cold war amerishit state propaganda is involved.
>>
https://youtu.be/hALJT_zRzOg?t=73
>Red make up indicates strength and a sense of justice
>Blue means evil
Wtf blubrehs how could Japan do this to us?
>>
>>373113
japan=axis=evil, so they got it all backwards
>>
>>373202
USA is the source and root of all the evil in the world, so it's you who got it all backwards.
>>
>>374457
USA is not how you spell ISRAEL and JEWS, although it is a good spelling for DOG
>>
File: Desolator.jpg (155 KB, 610x547)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>363590
You forgot
>blue allies vs red commies
>blue americans vs red chinks
>>
>>376207
But that's examples of blues being the baddies tho.
>>
>>367569
Why did he commit them?
>>
Independent ideology or Depenednt ideology. Who can fail faster?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.