[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 101 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

The late-game is kinda shit in all honesty
>>
i like it a lot
>>
>>352192
Drop your pants
>>
>>352155
whys that? (never played it)
>>
>>352257
The second you get too big a mechanic called realm divide kicks in which makes every single faction turn on you and start ass-raping you. If you weren't properly prepared you'll get obliterated, and if you are then the game kinda turns into a slog as you fend off doomstacks every single turn
>>
>>352265
i hated it when i first played it as well but it actually adds a challenge to the late game. Rather than just getting to the usual half way point where you just spend the rest of your days steamrolling. If you really want to remove it there's mods that do
>>
>>352273
It does add a challenge but the complete shutting down of diplomacy is kinda lame, I much prefer 3k's approach honestly.
>>
>>352281
It annoys me how every TW game seems like a step forward and two steps back. 3k's diplomacy is great, but I dislike everything else. Couldn't they apply what they have learned to new games?
>>
>>352213
don't you mean pantsu
>>
>>352285
Honestly if I had attila battles/everything else with 3k diplomacy I'd be content. They probably wanted to try and change how battles worked after attila and tob sunk, now that warhammer printed them some cash the battle system is here to stay. I didn't really mind the different battle system in warhammer because it's a different game, but in 3k I feel it a lot more. Might also be that I didn't find the right battle overhaul for it yet, I don't know.
>>
>>352265
>>352155
git gud
>>
File: 1606692904306.gif (1.28 MB, 320x180)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB GIF
>>352281
>total WAR
>diplomacy
>>
>>352155
I actually look forward to it, the key to winning is knowing when to stop expanding and how to expand to prepare for the total chaos that is Realm Divide. If you expand in the middle of the map, you'll get sandwiched by multiple fronts and if you didn't upgrade your towns and armies, you're just going to get steamrolled. Also an AI can trigger Realm Divide by itself and make easy pickings, I prefer feeding an AI territory than taking it once everyone gangs up on them.
3K's endgame is still the best, when it actually works since the game has had multiple patches that make it a buggier piece of shit than the usual CA release.
>>
>>352332
Three Kingdoms has functional diplomacy throughout the entire game. Also Warhammer among order factions at least.
>>
>>352155
FotS at least fixed realm divide. Instead of everybody gangs up on you it’s an all out war between the two ideologies. Which is a better solution imho. Getting betrayed by your own vassals for no good reason sucked in S2.
>>
They should've remade the Mongol invasion instead of rise of the samurai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IYh7RnMpLw
>>
File: Mongol_Invasion_Japan.png (3.46 MB, 5500x2498)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB PNG
>>352424
Impossible, because both Mongolian and Korean troops used shields. That means you need a whole lot of new animations for shield armed units and for Japanese fighting against enemies using shields.
>>
>>352155
you playing on legendary? it doesnt count otherwise.
>>
File: 1449840364101.jpg (52 KB, 500x667)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
What retainers should I be trying to get in avatar conquest if I want to use plenty of ashigaru? Is Yari Master worth it?
>>
File: teppo.jpg (454 KB, 1920x1080)
454 KB
454 KB JPG
based teppo
>>
>watch kagemusha
>there is a scene where there is an ongoing siege
>some of the troops are trying to climb the fucking wall like in the game
wtf bros i thought that this was something CA made up, why didn't the japanese just prepare a bunch of logs and roll them down onto the people trying to climb the sloped defences?
>>
>>352380
Unless you go republican. All your vassals revolt against you. And if you go and revassalize them, they'll just rebel against you again the next turn. It's silly and I don't know why they didn't just remove the option to vassalize as a republic.
>>
>>353389
Because going republican is the Dante must die mode of FotS. Everything that can go wrong must go wrong.
>>
>>353388
>why didn’t the Japanese..
Just add it to the list of many confusing things about Japanese warfare.
>>
FotS has the only Total War naval combat I enjoyed. Mostly because of how satisfying it is to set off a ship's powder store and rip the whole thing in half.
>>
>>353622
thats because its the only total war set in a period with interesting naval combat
>>
>>353388
Nobunaga was unironically probably the only nip that ever lived with any tactical sense at all about him. Typically nips only fight other nips who are equally incompetent so they balance each other out, while Nobunaga knowing anything at all allowed him to steamroll
>>
>>353622
The base naval warfare grew on me but yeah FotS was far superior and an honest contender for best naval combat in any strategy game
>>
is it really optimal to have minimal tax rate in the start to get as much growth as possible?
>>
>>353388
Kagemusha is not historically accurate. Still a good movie though.
>>
>>353681
Unless you're doing an early push towards an enemy province, I guess.
>>
>>353681

no, turning some cash now into more territory soon is much more powerful
>>
>>352332
The only reason I'm at war with everyone is because I'm playing as the christfags and apparently siding with me is SHAMEFUR DISPRAY for everyone else
>>
>>353687
>that autistic charge into a gunline for no reason at all in broad daylight at the end
Yeah i figured.
>>
File: Deus Vult.gif (388 KB, 243x211)
388 KB
388 KB GIF
>>353773
>Jesus is the strongest ally and the only one you need.
easy access to masses of firearms and economic might of dutch traders also helps.
>>
File: 1599203497559.jpg (52 KB, 720x636)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>353773
Time to convince them of the benefits of Christian civilization
>>
>>353822
>autistic charge into a gunline for no reason at all in broad daylight
you mean like at Nagashino?
>>
>>352155
>Lets stop people from steamrolling
>By making alliances and vassals completely irrelevant post realm divide.
You aren't wrong OP.
>>
>>353769
I've always had the problem of unfucking the horrific provinces the AI creates, though its far less of an issue in FOTS due to the removal of the food mechanic, any tips?
>>
>>353822
Oh no, that part was realistic lmao
>>
>>353773
Otomo actually have one of the best starting locations. Just take over the island and max upgrade everything and prepare to buttrape everyone
>>
>>353681
No, it takes longer than any game lasts to pay off.
>>
>>352332
It worked as an argument when you had 8 factions in the game and a couple of diplomatic options (war/alliance), with the new system it just gets tedious to play like that. Diplomacy started being inadequate with R1/M2, more recent titles worked on it and you could have somewhat reliable diplomatic results from empire (if you gave the AI some land it desperately wanted beyond all reason) or S2 until realm divide, it was definitely working compared to the past from R2 onwards. Now with 3k you finally have alternative ways to play the game and not just map painting. Some purists may not like the change but I appreciate having options. This and the factions being more unique in mechanics/approach rather than just having a couple of different units and start position is good for the game.
>>
>>353822
Yeah, I am sure that totally never happened in all the history of warfare.
>>
>>352155
Any suggestions you anons would have to improve it for a hypothetical remake?
>don't touch the actual battle mechanics or units, they're perfect
>a more fleshed out family tree to add a little more character, its retarded that any of your brother's children stop existing the second you succeed as daimyo
>bigger map maybe? Idk the game feels kinda short
>fleshed out diplomacy, add things like the ability to trade cities and vassalize when they're not down to just 1 province
That's about all I can think of
>>
>>353773
If you can be bothered to manually fight the naval battles, the Otomo matchlock ship is OP as fuck and will help you dominate early game. Shame it takes forever to actually unlock though
>>
>>354277
A coalition mechanic like in 3K would be pretty good.
>>
>>354277
i predict that they'll put a lot more emphasis on heroes now that TTW started it and 3K solidified it. i wouldn't even mind if CA went and aped Koei's Nobunaga's Ambition for clan-specific missions but it'll be welcoming if they incorporated 3K's diplomacy system but dropped the silly recruitment system it had as well
>>
>>354321
Please no. I fucking hate the hero system. As retarded as it is I want to be able to compose half of my army of general units if I really want to
>>
>>352332
This is like saying
>rpg
>gameplay
Just because you expect something to be subpar isn't an excuse for it to remain so
>>
>>353169
Is this from that conversion mod? Cringe
>>
>>353950
>>354211
it at least says the charge occured during rain where the commander accounted them not being able to reload due to being wet

>>354245
yeah but it was particularly silly in the film
>>
>>354326
>I want to be able to compose half of my army of general units if I really want to
That’s never coming back. CA clearly loves the Rome 2 army system.
>>354321
3K has the records mode so it’s possible CA will leave that option in for future historical titles.
>>
>>354331
rights of man mod. It's good, not that much different from vanilla
>>
>>352265
I initially agreed with this but I started appreciating realm divide.
Shogun 2 is the only total war that had you plan and get ready for an ultimate conflict. In every other tw you only have to beat your neighbors until you're big enough to constantly poop out full stacks.

In Warhammer you can get accidentally realm divide yourself by meeting big factions too early and have then chain declare war on you and there's nothing you can do there.
Shogun 2 allows you to prepare by making armies, upgrade tech and settlements, cause rebellions to weaken your neighbors and strengthen alliances hoping that they'll last enough to draw some aggro away from you.

The naval invasions are insufferable though, unless you start in Kyushu navies are a waste of time and having to fight the shit naval battles to keep armies from raping your economy is annoying
>>
>>353670
Nigga tokugawa literally invented musket tactics
>>
>>354394
>The naval invasions are insufferable though
This shit ultimately filtered me and is the only reason I've never completed a campaign in Shogun 2 even after 300 hours of play time. Every time I think I'm doing well post-realm divide, a ship comes out of nowhere and sails right past my fleets that I carefully tried to set up in advance for interception. Once they drop an army in some random spot far behind my front line, I don't know how to deal with it so I just give up.

Not only is the equivalent to realm divide much more reasonable in 3k, I'm so glad most of the water areas on the map are narrow rivers that are much more controllable.
>>
>>352578
They could just reuse models from rome 2
>>
>>354417
just build some fleets nigga, if you see some enemy ships slipping past you just attack them at sea
>>
>>354093

yeah, don't worry so much about it
>>
>>354514
I'm up for helpful tips in case I ever go back to Shogun 2, but you're telling me to do what I literally just said I was already doing.
It works sometimes, except when the enemy ship retreats into the deep ocean and disappears from sight.
>>
>>354480
Rome 2 wasn't out yet senpai
>>
>>354522
so chase them? Defending from naval invasions is easy with some fleets
>>
>>352155
Every total war's lategame is shit.
The AI hasn't been improved since fucking Rome 1 (if anything its degraded) and never actually techs up or consolidates territory.
You'll be lategame with half the map and the dozen remaining factions will be throwing around 20-stacks of t1 slingers or peasants with 1-2 settlements each, and half of those remaining factions will be rebellions or separatists from a larger faction that imploded because the AI can't manage more than 3 settlements.

The games are doomed to just peter out in the midgame until the devs finally figure out that they can just script their AI and its cheats to provide a consistent player experience instead of whatever jumbled half-assed nonsense they use now.
>>
>>354596
>The AI hasn't been improved since fucking Rome 1 (if anything its degraded)
R1 AI was absolutely atrocious, nostalgiafag.
>>
>>354603
The upside to R1s AI was that it knew how to put together armies. You would, at very least, consistently see midgame armies using midgame units and a balance of various unit-types. It wasn't until the lategame that they really petered out, because R1's AI couldn't manage settlement structures.
Meanwhile in my latest campaign of Troy, it's turn 100 and Agamemnon with half of greece and every other playable danaan faction confederated is still churning out 20-stacks of nothing but basic slingers. I've played a half dozen campaigns in this game and I don't think I have ever once seen any of the AIs produce their faction's unique elite units
>>
>>354603
>R1 AI was absolutely atrocious, nostalgiafag.
And it keeps getting worse.
>>
>late game is shit because it's boring
>late game is shit because everyone declares war on you and it's too difficult

ok which one is it you retards
>>
>>354613
Yes
>>
>>354613
It's both, actually.
It's frustrating having half the map at war with you because it means constant battles and more fronts than your economy can afford (unless you abandon the fantasy of using interesting lategame units and just churn out cost-effective template armies)

But it's also boring because all of those enemy armies suck and are full of basic units that barely put up a fight while the AIs themselves buckle the instant you put on even a little bit of pressure because they don't know how to defend their territory or work together, or manage public order or economy.

You fight a dozen battles every turn but it's a dozen autoresolves against peasants only to get incredibly frustrated when one bolts through the fog of war and snipes a settlement or, in the most recent games, sprints past you in forced march stance and leads you on a fucking goose chase through your whole empire, but times 50 because there's a dozen different factions doing it to you every single turn.
>>
>>354619
what are you talking about the AI in S2 is famous for summoning samurai doomstacks from nowhere
>>
>>354611
They seem to have fixed that in 3K. At least from my experience the AI did in fact use lots of mid-game units like cataphracts or those late-game units which all sound like adjective+animal name.
>>
>>354417
>I don't know how to deal with it so I just give up.
Don't care so much about it?

Call me a cheeser but my strategy was to ignore naval combat entirely, just sit down trade ships on all the nodes and run if they get attacked. Trying to build fleets to fight with is pointless, they cost money and don't conquer provinces. Have two or three ground armies instead, if you're taking a castle every turn it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things if you lose a province here or there to a backstab.

Also you can have 5 ninjas and each of these can stop a full doomstack from doing anything so you can usually just freeze any enemy armies before they can do anything. Like my usual shogun gameplay was to have a general with 10 ashis, sabotage the AI doomstack when it comes to fight, then take his provinces and wipe out the faction without ever fighting the stack.
>>
Two words
Ikko Ikki Matchlock Ashigaru
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (811 KB, 1579x1209)
811 KB
811 KB JPG
ARTILLERY ADDS DIGNITY TO WHAT WOULD OTHERWISE BE A VULGAR BRAWL
>>
>>354613
I think they just needed some sort of incentive to move fast. What a lot of people do is they get to one province before RD and skip 50 turns while upgrading and saving money. So basically they're making the game really boring for themselves as a solution for a mechanic that makes it too difficult if you play naively.

Personally my goal was always to see how fast I can win in terms of turns so that wasn't really a problem, but I think that even making that as an explicit score would've helped others. If the time limit were baked into the mechanics it would be even better, RotS for example doesn't really have that problem as badly since the AI is good at growing and if you skip a bunch of turns to prepare you're gonna have to fight an AI Taira with 30 provinces.
>>
>>354611
>Saga game
You know better than this, mang.
>>
>>354722
the AI does manage to blob sometimes, especially the Ikko Ikki and the Hattori for some reason
>>
How do I get pike and shot tactics to work? I stick my matchlocks in front of my long yari ashigaru and they all die anyways.
>>
>>354518
don't worry about losing all your money when you conquer provinces?
>>
>>354767

stop wasting koku on rebuilding harmless provinces just to appease your crippling autism
>>
>>353769
I usually funnel all my money into diplomacy and non aggression pacts.
>>
>>354770
holy shit, I don't mean
>oh no im 5% less rich
I mean
>taking 3 provinces has put be dangerously close to bankruptcy and rebellion
like I said, this is far worse in vanilla because of food, the AI upgrades castles but rarely farms, in some cases you could take one province and loose 4+ food instantly. It's why vanilla turned into a slog for me because conquering meant I had to build up a glut of food and income before I was allowed to do anything. As other people have pointed out, it would be better if the AI actually grew technologically with you, and just sitting on you ass developing should be risky not what you have to do in some instances
>>
File: 1603717235146.jpg (259 KB, 960x895)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
I just use a mod that removes realm divide
don't@ me
>>
>>354720
Now that’s dignified
>>
What does attaching geisha to armies do again?
>>
>>354805
sex sex sex sex
>>
>>354799
>>
>>354799
>>
>>354763
I always thought the guy in this picture was James May from Top Gear wtf
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (541 KB, 1191x1031)
541 KB
541 KB JPG
hm. that's a lot of charge.
>>
>>354799
casul
>>
>>354888
buddhist shrine + encampment with charge bonus + techs = infinite charge
>>
>>354790

keep a food buffer, genius. working within your means is a critical part of strategy.
>>
>>354902
I am making a food buffer you retard, I'm complaining that it slows down the late game massively because now you suddenly have to wait 5 or more turns because you dared take a single province from the fucking retarded AI that doesn't have to actually plan their cities because they just get cheat resources. It makes the late game slow and tedious, I don't want a steamroll either but surely there's a middle ground.
>>
>>354908
don't ask for tips if you're just putting out a vapid game design critique. fucking retard.
>>
>>354914
because there ended up being no tip
>is there any way to mitigate this
>no
>thats shit then
>>
>>354917

i told you, preparation and planning. you know, strategy. but you're just being a bitch because you didn't plan, and now it's bitten you in the ass.
>>
imagine being so bad that the AI building castles ruins you game
>>
>>354763
checkerboard formation and flanking.
Fuck Fire by rank, just extend them as wide as possible.
Don't trade matchlocks with archers.
Use archers to skirmish with enemy archers and pull them back after first two volleys, you give your matchlocks a chance to rekt charging inf. Then pull them back behind your yariwall.
get onto hills.
Put a flanking force innawoods.
and most importantly: keep your matchlocks in the castles and watch them stack samurai corpses 6 feet high.
>>
File: EwhDM3HC_400x400.jpg (13 KB, 240x240)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>small neighbour clan is friend with all japan, save for 1 or 2 small clans
>make alliance with said small friendly neighbour clan
>small remote clan at the other corner of Japan declares on small friendly neighbour clan
>turns out small remote clan is allied with basically all Japan
>I'm now at war with all Japan because I allied small friendly neighbour clan
>>
>>354972
>give manlet huge club
>he takes a swing at someone

many such cases
>>
>>354394
The naval component grew on me after a while. The actual combat isn't bad its just that they're so rediculously slow. Anyway get the nanban trade ships to trivialize all naval combat. Station them at the trade ports and you will never get fucked with ever again
>>
>>354397
Nah son that was nobunaga as well that he used to rape the Takeda with. They even demonstrate it in game
>>
>>354212
I'm not complaining, I'm just saying that everyone is at war with me.
>>
>>354720
All I see are 9 wasted army slots. Wooden cannons are so shit its hilarious.
>>
>Try Shimazu on legendary
>Get bored before I even get guns
>Try Otomo on legendary
>Same thing
>Try the Uesugi
This must be the most difficult clan to play as and it's amazing. The Kyushu experience is really just pure aids compared to the rest of the map.

>>354361
>>353822
The real autism of Nagashino was Takeda Katsuyori's strategic blunder. A frontal assault under the pretense that the previous night's rain may have doused Oda's matchlocks is a really risky move against a relief force that outnumbered your army 2:1. Details of the battle are clouded in legend and most of the Takeda retainers hated him so it's hard to say just what he was thinking when he decided to take a stand instead of falling back.
>>
>>354763
I saw a video of a multiplayer match where a player used a combined force of matchlocks, bows, and yari ashigaru to defeat a much stronger army. Having matchlocks on open field engagements without bow support in this game is just asking for trouble.
>>
>>355217
southern clans in general are easy simply because their provinces are not HUEG
>>
File: teppo.jpg (685 KB, 1920x1080)
685 KB
685 KB JPG
kino time
>>
>>354972
>allying or having vassals ever
only thing diplomacy is good for is leasing military access for cash.
>>
>>354738
I mean, it's a pretty decent TW game. I was just using that as an example for how the AI hasn't really improved over the past ~20 years.
>>
>>353622
FotS naval combat is fucking amazing. Too bad the AI is too stupid to fight naval battles, and you will maybe get one big battle per campaign, sinking singular traders for the rest of the game. I mean, accurate for how big the navies in the real conflict were, but dull gamingwise.
>>
>>354611
IME the AI knowing how to diversify would actually fix its retardation, because I seem to get interesting and difficult battles without having to fight hordes in any TW game as long as the armies have all of cav, infantry and ranged. But no, the AI will shit out uniform blobs of increasingly dangerous units just to fuck with you.
>>
>>355482
The root of the issue is just that the AI doesn't play well with the idea that any given region only provides it a portion of units recruitable roster depending on buildings. It doesn't know where its stables are, or where its siege engineer is. It just flips a subroutine that says "need new army/more units, begin recruiting" and sops up whatever is available wherever it happens to be at that moment, usually resulting it in only recruiting whatever is available by default from the main settlement structure or whatever military building they just so happened entirely coincidentally to have there at the time.

The solution is to just let the AI cheat and recruit globally and just give it straight up army templates to copy, but the devs can't figure that out
>>
>>355265

discount the cav and you're almost 1:1 in numbers
>>
File: i tried.png (106 KB, 387x346)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
>>355168
>tfw only using wooden cannons as ghetto mortars
It was not worth trying it out in the campaign.
>>
>>355416
Vassals are fine since they guarantee you a trade partner, don't raise notoriety as much as outright conquest and give +1 honour. Make 3 vassals quickly and the nyou can go around pillaging stuff with impunity.
In my next playthrough I intend to make a pirate general who will sail around the other side of the map, sacking undefended cities in the backlines. We'll see how it goes.
>>
>>355500
Nailed it. I'd definitely prefer fighting versatile mid-tier armies to the usual TW solution of "lol elite deathblobs". I think the most hilarious fuckup is rebel armies in WH2, because some of them are useless cannon fodder until you let them fester (the way it should be), and then you get something like the Chaos armies with a first-turn Hellcannon. Whatever were they thinking?
>>
>>355500
They kinda figured that out with three kangdamz. The AI recruits generals with a pre-determined retinue of units. As a result they always end up with a combination of infantry, archers and cav.
Seems like players didn’t like that system though so CA ditched it in Troy.
>>
>>355887
>players didn’t like that system
I guess people like fighting militia blobs and elite doomstacks then
>>
>>353653
Empire
>>
>>355887
People didn't like that system for a whole slew of reasons but the main one being it didn't give them, the player, enough control over their own armies. Ironically, in Troy you'll get the best experience out of playing against Sparta because their unique mechanic gives them the ability to recruit anywhere on the map from a wide roster of units, but the issue is that they need alliances to access that roster and the AI is far too eager to confederate one another, so either Sparta gets eaten by one of the other pillars or they eat all the pillars and lose that entire roster.
>>
File: 20210107142942_1.jpg (505 KB, 1920x1080)
505 KB
505 KB JPG
Takeda, pls
>>
File: image_2021-01-07_233757.png (1.45 MB, 1366x768)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
>>356550
Oh no no no horsebros we got too cocky
>>
>>356558

IMAGINE BRINGING A HORSE TO A WALL FIGHT
>>
>>356550
832 men slipped and fell to their deaths
>>
I've been going through fots very rifle heavy, and I'm not quite sure what formation works the best. Does checkboard work? Should I just do the typical spear line you retreat behind then flank around? So far my best luck has been to just shore up on a steep slope with multiple ranks of guns, and have the foot of the hill guarded by disposable spear levies. I consistently win that way, but I always take heavy losses, so I feel it's a poor strategy in the long run.
>>
>>356571
it always baffles me why AI never uses the gates, even if they manage to capture it and instead always chose to climb.
>>
>>354619
>only to get incredibly frustrated when one bolts through the fog of war and snipes a settlement or, in the most recent games, sprints past you in forced march stance and leads you on a fucking goose chase through your whole empire
God I hate this shit so much in Warhammer, nothing as immersion shattering as seeing the dwarves abandon their mountain strongholds to race across the entire Badlands to raze a single minor settlement
>>
>>356594
Arrange your spears in chevrons. Guns in front for the opening volleys, then retreat and stand behind the gaps in the chevrons. If the AI tries to sneak through the gaps, the spears flank them and force them into melee, otherwise they just dogpile the formation, spill over down the sides of the triangle and give your guns completely free rein to fire down their lines without obstruction.

This also works in Attila with crossbows.
>>
>>356638
ah, sort of the same idea with checkerboards, but it sounds a lot more effective, thanks.
>>
>>356623
Forced march stance was a mistake.
>>
>>357284
Forced march should have a comulative reduction in speed the more you use it, also translating in incremental vigor and morale loss during a battle.
>>
>>357284
Not necessarily. The only game where it isn't abject cancer is Attila, because the map is so well designed that "sprint past the armies and run through enemy territory" literally doesn't work. Settlements are all in strategic locations that control the paths through the map so you literally can't flee through enemy territory without attacking settlements to open the way.

I don't know why they put so much effort into Attila's map and then never again.
>>
Thoughts? Is it any good? Are there any substantive mods in Shogun 2 in general worth playing that aren't just "I reskinned the yari ashigaru 50 times and called it a unit pack"
>>
>>358014
B L O A T

also the unrest mechanic ruins the game
>>
>>358022
yeah I suspected as much from my brief experience. Wish shogun 2 had a better modding scene like medieval 2.
>>
>>358025
Rights of Man 3 for s2 is good, but the changes are minimal. Same for mods that change the start date like Sekigahara campaign
>>
File: 20210108095507_1.jpg (580 KB, 1920x1080)
580 KB
580 KB JPG
>Turtle up in the fort and get destroyed by arrows
>Sally out and kill the archers and the general, but get destroyed by naginata and katana samurai
I must have tried this battle at least six times, any advice? It's a non-essential battle and I can easily pull a stack over to take the town back but it would be so satisfying if I manage to pull off a victory with my general alive.
>>
>>352265
If Realm divide didnt kick in, the entire game would become pointless as at this point, without the entire map opposing you, winning is effortless.
>>
>>354720
>Wooden cannons
I admire your spirit but I can't help but question your judgement.
>>
>>353681
No. You're better off getting more money to buy bigger rice farms and expanding quickly. When you get 20 territories at 20 extra food, thats when you really start raking it in.
>>
>>358386
that's the AI, they always do that
>>
so, Rise of the Samurai: just spam foot sam?
>>
>>358185
what's the layout? Are you using SotS?
>>
>>358185
do you have SotS installed?
If yes, then it may be winnable.
If not, then the best I van recommend you to do is:
>step 1 fill the ramparts with archers
>step 2 get 4 Yaris to set up as far away from the walls as possible, while still being able to contest the keep.
>step 3 Get your retainer, general and remaining yaris and set them up by the rear gate. They are the Anti-Archer force
>step 4 when the battle starts, let your archers
trade with their archers until enemy meele starts climbing the walls.
>step 5 Pull your archers back, behind the defending yaris and deploy Yari-wall.
>step 7 if there's a tower enemy may capture, burn it.
>step 6 Hold the line until most of their meel units have started climbing.
>step 8 Send a sally force to attack their archers, moving as fast as possible
>step 9 Motivated charging retainers shold be able to do some damage and ashigaru in yari wall will engage the rest
>step 10 A general may charge in for some knockback, but don't rely on him to kill stuff.
>step 11 keep some outside yaris in mobile formation to intercept their general.
>step 12 Kill the general, which should route the archers and sow panic among the meele troops fighting in the fort.
>step 13 Your ashigarus inside are probably hlaf-dead at this point, but luckily, since they are in side a fort, FTTD has kicked in, so they won't break.
>step 14 realise you fucked up somewhere around step 5 and your army is dead
>step 15 write a poem
>step 16 take two sips of sake
>step 17 commit disembowelment
>step 18 have one of your friends chop off your head.
>>
>>358447
if not

>install SotS
>>
jokes aside I think that first level forts in SotS are harder than vanilla against ranged stacks
>>
File: 20210108111032_1.jpg (493 KB, 1920x1080)
493 KB
493 KB JPG
>>358429
>>358447
It's this trashy hill with the gates destroyed. I wanted to play Uesugi (mostly) vanilla on legendary difficulty before I gave mods another shot.
>step 14 realise you fucked up somewhere around step 5 and your army is dead
Kek, this is too accurate.
>>
>>358489
try using the mod, the vanilla forts are very boring
>>
fug
>>
>>358494
unironically this.
With SotS even the shitty fort has several terraces and towers and makes the whole sieging experience so much more fun, regardless of what side you're on.
>picrel
>>
>>358694
>regardless of what side you're on
this looks like a bitch if you were the attacker tho
>>
>>358716
it depends, advanced forts are much more difficult than vanilla, but more basic fort are easier if you have a lot of ranged units
>>
>>354799
>>
>>358740

arrowing tiny forts to death is already the worst part of vanilla though
>>
>>358760
unless you remove arrows from the game I guess you'll have to deal with it
>>
>>358694
>>358489
what do they eat?
>>
>>358776
arrows
>>
>>358795
arrows you say?
>>
File: cuckming.webm (1.23 MB, 1080x606)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB WEBM
>>358811
fire arrows perhaps
>>
I'm feeling the itch to play a shogun campaign. Are there any recent-ish mods I should add?
>>
File: Capture.png (775 KB, 897x829)
775 KB
775 KB PNG
maybe there's something to this "horse archer" thing after all

mongoria strongu
>>
>>358991
Has there ever been a TW game with mounted archers where they aren't completely imbalanced fuckmachines?
>>
>>355854
iirc what the rebels get depends on the buildings you have. better army recruitment buildings means the rebel army is stronger so you get retarded shit like a first turn empire rebellion with a steam cannon or a first turn high/dark elf rebel army with a dragon.
>>
>>359408
truth be told, horse archers historically were completely unbalanced fuckmachines
>>
>>359491
how can that be? if you have enough armor/shields, they'll surely run out of arrows at some point.
>>
>>359493
t. Marcus Licinius Crassus
>>
>>358964
Depends on what you want.
I personally am playing with
>Jaki's unique factions
>imperial farms
>Strongholds
>unofficial patch
>Vanilla supreme

am currently looking for some mods that fix the naval i:e make Nanbans actually sink shit, make Red Seals worth investment and shift the meta way from bow kobaya spam.
>>
All late game is shit in the TW series.
>>
>>359493
Then they will just retreat to get more arrows. You can't even hope to catch them with all your armor and shields.
>>
>>359500
there is a naval mod that adds various ship types
Rights of Man heavily nerfs fire arrows so sengoku and medium bunes are actually viable, it also adds fire rocket kobayas
>>
>>359511
What's a single player strategy game (4x or whatever) that even has a good lategame? Every game I played ever has this problem, you're just going through the motions after getting into the lead from which no one can take you down
>>
so has anyone here actually made their own mods?

i want to mess around with the unit properties and see if i can't balance yari ashigaru against cheaper samurai to my liking, among other things.
>>
>>360810
Changing attributes of units is very easy. You'll need pack file manager which you can find on TWC and the official modding tools which you can download off of Steam. Then look at unit_stats_land iirc and scroll down to the units that you want to change.
>>
>>352331
Good old Chad Ashigaru
>>
File: Rastapopoulos.jpg (13 KB, 200x223)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>autoresolve a suicide kobaya stack to snatch the blackship from an enemy stack
>heroic victory
>>
>>361670
the exact same thing happened to me, however I then found out that cannons were nerfed in singleplayer for some reason and this includes the black ship, which now can get owned by arrow kobayas using fire arrows
>>
>>361791
yes but you can't capture a ship if you set it on fire. I'm playing a mod that heavily nerfs fire arrows anyway
>>
>>361794
>mod that heavily nerfs fire arrows anyway
sounds nice, I'd kill for one that restores cannons
>>
>>359482
I don't think so, because even the most squalid Chaos hamlets spawn hellcannon. It might also be that Chaos is just fucked up though
>>
>>354304
That might actually be able to redeem Realm Divide, even. Instead of just you vs everything, it turns into a battle of coalitions, you and your loyalists against the Shogun's peons. Once you take the shogunate for yourself, the coalition dissolves, and the remaining factions likely either stop fighting and go with the changing winds, or go full loyalist and keep fighting to the bitter end.
>>
Realm Divide is a shit mechanic only implemented to cover up the horrendous AI which can only move in big stacks and leave their castles empty. The AI in the medieval, medieval 2 and Rome was much better, its like they forgot everything they did in those 2 games
>>
>>362409
>the horrendous AI which can only move in big stacks and leave their castles empty
sounds good, less offensive sieges and more large field battles or defensive sieges
the truly cancerous ai behavior was they make 15 one unit stacks and go around pillaging. it's like it knew it couldn't win so instead of trying to put up a good fight, it tried its best to annoy the player
>>
>>362409
>complaining about the AI using big stacks
Next you'll complain about naval invasions
>>
>>362409
>AI which can only move in big stacks and leave their castles empty.
Like in Med2 and Rome
>>
File: 20210110095952_1.jpg (483 KB, 1920x1080)
483 KB
483 KB JPG
>>358494
>>358694
Installing the mod actually made it harder because the enemy came from one direction instead of multiple wew. Still better than vanilla. I think that this is the best I am going to get because the enemy archers make victory impossible.
>>
what are some good battle setups to try in quick match against ai? i want to practice my tactics
>>
File: nav.jpg (171 KB, 1920x1080)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
night naval battles look kino as fuck
>>
>>363088
see
>>354719
>>
>>354719
are the shittiest unit in the game
>>
File: 1610309822514.jpg (355 KB, 1600x900)
355 KB
355 KB JPG
s it just me or this mod(Ultimate Immersion Mod) make the game harder?
I understand that everyone hate Otome but being at war with 5 clans simultaneously?
Any tips for me, Shogun bros?
>>
File: 1610309991028.jpg (734 KB, 1600x1800)
734 KB
734 KB JPG
One of them even dropped a stack on my rear while I was fighting Shimazu and the other come from the North.
Should I play other, easier clan first to get use to the mod?
>>
File: 8148OxmZnPL._SS500_.jpg (62 KB, 500x500)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
Also, why is the credit song so good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ0_0bBARq8&ab_channel=StormDruid
>>
>>363475
Cause based Dyck.
>>
File: 1451885626136.jpg (21 KB, 229x343)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>Clan from the other side of the map randomly declares war on drops troops on my undefended territory
>This is despite them being at war on multiple fronts back in their home province
>Send army to stop them from spreading to the other provinces
>Another clan assassinates my general
>>
File: 1485333021068.jpg (685 KB, 2335x2507)
685 KB
685 KB JPG
>a province in the rear got captured by an enemy landing force
>get disheartened and lose the will to continue playing
>>
>>352332
SUDICIO
>>
>>359493

>how can that be? if you have enough armor/shields

Fine, then they are going to be moving slowly. And if you are talking about steppe nomads congratulations, you are in an unwinnable war of attrition. You better pray to god that your own cavalry save your asses. But the actual arrows were not meant to decisively defeat the enemy, its purpose was to *harass* with the purpose of disrupting formations, and disorganized infantry was a ripe target for a charge.

Historically the thing that was most effective against Horse Archers was massed foot archers, particularly crossbows and later firearms.

And *all that* is to say, that if you are specifically talking about the steppe nomads by far their biggest advantages were logistical. Entire cities were sacked and defeated because their armies were simply outmaneuvered.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (333 KB, 1280x720)
333 KB
333 KB JPG
>>356558
What were they thinking?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIs3ibPgosE&ab_channel=gosix2011
>>
>>363468
Don't give a fuck about people declaring war on you.
Hunker down for a while to stop that "territorial expansion" negative relation modifier
Stack the border fortresses with matchlocks to easily win every siege.
Get those nanbans out and dominate all trade nodes.
Don't give a fuck about your trade being raided, just keep those ports from getting blocked.
When you have resources then even clans that hate you will want to trade with you.
Trade = positive relations = less likely to go to war
Maybe get a vassal or two for guaranteed trade partners and extra honour which you'll need.
That's all I can tell you.
>>
>>363697
Thanks. Also, can you actually use nanban "trade" ships for trading? (it's has 800 koku upkeep in this mod though)
>>
>>363702
IDK if mod changes that, but in vanilla they do trade. Just keep one mixed with 9 regular trade ships and your node should be untouchable
>>
>>352371
>Three Kingdoms has functional diplomacy
>>
File: Capture.png (405 KB, 907x469)
405 KB
405 KB PNG
wew. the taira starting position is not as easy as it looks
>>
File: 1428069539311.jpg (27 KB, 540x540)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>359495
Underrated post.
>>
>>363724
>Rise of the Samurai
I thought nobody played that, how's it?
>>
>>363739
do you want to use a lot of archers? if yes it's at least a neat change of pace

also generals are complete murder machines in it
>>
digits choose which clan i pllay
>>
finna gonna give the ultimate immersion mod a run through

is it aids?
>>
>>363826
it looks aids to me
>>
>>363824
hojo
>>
>>363824
aidsugi
>>
>>363824
Brutii
>>
>>359491
Not really. Huns and Mongolians were the exception not the norm.
Horse archers have been around for a really long time and very rarely achieved great successes outside defensive wars on home turf.
Romans (except Crassus) were constantly dunking on Parthians and sacking Ctesiphon multiple times.
The white Huns got rekt by the Persians.
Charlemagne destroyed the Avars easily.
The Hungarians got rekt the moment the Germans decided to put up a fight.
Steppe nomads didn't even manage to put a dent into Chinese defenses unless China was once again going through yet another civil war.
>>
>>363824
date
>>
>>363824
Obama
>>
>>363951
A few turns in, it is pretty fun but the only thing I strongly dislike is the Europa Barborum-esque naming conventions.

Is Yari Kasai Jizamurai really a better name then Takeda Fire Cavalry?

Is Naginata Gosai better than Naginata Samurai?
>>
>>352155
>>352265
>getting filtered this hard by the RD
S2 remains the best title in the franchise I see.
I just played a few matches last night, such a great game.
>>
>>364393
It really is. RD is something I wish more strstegy games had, Shogun 2 is literally one of the few games I play to the very end instead of just stopping once its clear I've won, because when I get there the game rebalances the scales.
>>
File: 20200701032721_1.jpg (64 KB, 258x715)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>354212
It's super tedious when everyone sends a ship your way, though
>>
>>352265
>He can't obliterate AI doom stacks with minimal losses
Git gud
>>
>>363824
Play as Satsuma, adopt your general Saigo Takamori, The Last Samurai, as your heir, and then suicide your Daimyo.
Swap from Imperial to Shogunate
Only use Traditional units, build up your staring blacksmith to give +4 armor and use Katana Kachi instead of Shogitai since they will have like 9 armor.
>>
File: 20200708015236_1.jpg (586 KB, 2560x1440)
586 KB
586 KB JPG
>>361670
>>361791
>>361794
>>361795
I found a new strat to capture the Black Ship last time I was playing, can't believe it wasn't discovered a long time ago.
>>
>>364415
autoresolve?
>>
>>364418
Indeed.
>>
>>354763
Pike protect the shot from melee and cavalry
Shot shoots a lot
Cavalry flanks and routes
Skirmishers amd cheap units die so expensive units don't
More gunpowder units in reserve
>>
>>354972
Alliances are merely ceasefires that reduce the borders you need to defend.
Also stop being honorable, that is the job of samurai not dayimo.
>>
>>352265
I wish more total war games had something like RD.Honestly everything becames too easy after a while in every campain in every total war,so having something like RD makes it more challenging.It sort makes sence historically,if somene started to get more powerfull his neighbors would have allied in order to destroy or atleast contain him instead of simply waiting for their doom.
>>
>>354394
>strengthen alliances
Isnt it a point, that even allies turn on you?
>>
>>354212
Made the mistake of leasing land to gwailos, any tips?
>>
>>364454
Restart
>>
>>364454
commit sudoku.
>>
File: Capture.png (1.49 MB, 1302x729)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB PNG
i'm playing RotS and foot samurai are raping my god damn face. jesus they are tough.

next fight i will bring more peasants.
>>
>>364408
anon are you telling a man running into gunfire to wear heavier armor
>>
>>364454
>gwailo
It's gaijin you uncultured swine.
>>
File: 20190922201813_1.jpg (740 KB, 2560x1440)
740 KB
740 KB JPG
>>364651
Yes.
>>
>>364647
>next fight i will bring more peasants.
Or bring your own samurai
>>
>>363824
Nagaoka
>>
>>364733
check'd
>>
File: 1445730910387.png (94 KB, 640x480)
94 KB
94 KB PNG
Bird of time on the wing
How far is she to fly?
Come now love, do not weep
We all must live and die
On the road of destiny
There is shadow and there’s light
For as the leaves fall from the tree
so our days will pass us by~
>>
File: uim.jpg (167 KB, 973x656)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
I'm looking for a mod to play with. How's this one?
>>
aaaa i give up the eastern taira start is just hell. it's like starting with realm divide.
>>
>>364849
it's pretty good as I said earlier

>>364365
>>
>>364859
Ah, I missed that post somehow. Is it as bloated as it looks?
>>
>>352578
That's what they'd be charging money for, but this is not a perfect world.
>>
File: 20200512200437_1.jpg (57 KB, 297x698)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>You walk into Kyoto and this guy slaps your Daimyo's ass
What do you do?
>>
>>364869
it seems fine so far, more balancing and expanding what already exists than adding too much. I've only noticed one new unit so far, that being katana ashigaru
>>
>>364881
Thanks, I'll try it out.
>>
>>364877
toggle yari wall formation
>>
File: 20200513190917_1.jpg (144 KB, 574x838)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>364937
You sure about that?
>>
>>364941
That's it, I'm gettin' me matchlock.
>>
>>364877
>>364941
Wait, is that online? How doers Shogun 2 online work anyway?
>>
File: 20200518175216_1.jpg (289 KB, 1153x811)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
>>364944
You unlock tiles across the campaign map by winning battles (or losing like 5 battles) and level up your general. The general gets more expensive as you level it up and you also unlock more veteran slots for units, which lets you save and customize those veteran units and more importantly upgrade them.
Most people think it's unbalanced, which in select scenarios it can be, but the whole leveling and veteran system tends to fall somewhere in the middle, where you reach a sweet spot where it's really not worth it to be pouring so much money into one veteran rather than getting an extra unit.
As you upgrade your general there are multiple skill paths, most people go into the command skill tree and then use Ashigaru to make the most of their morale benefits, so most people don't expect me to slam my combat upgraded general through a spear unit to kill their general
>>
File: 20210112113809_1.jpg (359 KB, 1600x900)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
>>364948
I've never played it before.
Also
>Ashigaru sex chat
>>
File: 20210112114842_1.jpg (358 KB, 1600x900)
358 KB
358 KB JPG
Hmm, looks fun. Too bad I'm suck at battle even against AI.
>>
File: asdf.png (1.01 MB, 1126x725)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
MY LORD A GLORIOUS VICTORY WILL SOON BE OURS
>>
>>364957
Ashigaru Sex Chat has been kept going by the community for 10 years, it’s truly amazing.
During the riots someone created a BLM chat that basically just had 5 people saying black lives don’t matter.
Then someone created an Ashigaru Lives Matter chat
>>
>>365008
>Ashigaru Lives Matter
Remember all those ashigaru you sent to eat bullets so your samurai could close the gap and win the battles? Truly real heroes.
>>
>>365011
I don't use samurai.
>>
File: 20200502172602_1.jpg (715 KB, 2560x1440)
715 KB
715 KB JPG
>>365011
The best is using Naginata Attendants, balanced around being stuck in loose formation, then my monks behind them and the Wako Samurai coming in behind their line
>>
>>364963
Just remember that unless you build your army around high-morale veterans, and usually even then, keeping your general alive is super important. Too many new players just leave them in the back because the AI would just charge them head on.
>>
Here's a question: Mod or Vanilla?
>>
>>365063
You referring to any particular mod?

because you can mod pretty much anything in to enchance your experience of the game, so naturally mods you like will always > vanilla.
>>
>>365071
I was talking about overhauled mods like this>>364849 but you have a point.
>>
>>364964
But Kenshin died :0
>>
File: sophisticate_assborger.gif (1.71 MB, 235x150)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB GIF
>>364964
>Kenshin dead
There is no victory in this.
>>
>>364964
Now the empire is mine
>>
>>365396
i managed to wipe out the hojo and then the takeda brought in two elite stacks and said "nice domain we'll take it".

oda's gonna have his hands full.
>>
>>365506
Are you playing vanilla or with mods, and what difficulty?
>>
>>362445
This is the reason that the general system was actually decent, it's a shame that they dropped farms and small towns after they added it.
>>
So are you supposed to wait a bit and build up your towns before going full oda? I seem to always be in deficit in this game with just only two stacks
>>
>>365549
>oda
>in deficit in this game with just only two stacks
How? Ashigaru are dirt cheap.
>>
>>362445
It's an algorithm thing. Simplest map AI has two directives: seek fights where the balance of power favours it and avoid fights where the balance of power disfavours it.

On the most rudimentary level this causes one big problem: the AI sees every single undefended settlement on the map as a battle it thinks it can win, and since it prioritizes battles it thinks it can win, it creates armies that are only exactly enough to win those battles (eg. single-unit stacks) exclusively and neglects everything else. At a slightly more advanced level, the AI will consolidate its army into relatively powerful stacks, but will actively avoid meeting your army on the field because it doesn't think it can win, and will actively avoid attacking your strongest settlements because it doesn't think it can win, and it'll actively avoid defending its own key settlements because it doesn't think it can win, and all it'll try to do with its big consolidated stack is move to the space exactly 1 pixel out of your striking range every turn until it manages to skirt around your army to reach whatever settlements aren't defended. The AI isn't smart enough to group multiple stacks to out number and overwhelm you unless it has both stacks already within striking range of your army (and balance of power favours it), so it's only by coincidence that it ever happens to have two or more armies close enough to reinforce each other, and consequently the AI itself is a much bigger threat when it's only controlling 1 or 2 settlements and using difficulty level cheats to support an impossibly large number of armies that are all stuck in that one territory together.

The introduction to built-in garrisons and army limits were literally made to help the AI make armies and pick targets in a more interesting way because it's easier to do that than pay some compsci PhD 6 figures a year to build smarter AI for you.
>>
>>365556
Not sure maybe I'm doing something wrong
>>
File: 20210112091323_1.jpg (829 KB, 2560x1440)
829 KB
829 KB JPG
Why did everyone hate RotS again?
I hated it when it came out, played like 1 battle and quit immediately because I couldn't stomp the ai with Yari Ashigaru.
I'm trying it again as Minamoto with the +50% martial research and 10% more ranged accuracy, beelining max archer tech upgrades and I'm turning everyone into pin cushions.
I can't wait until I get to Foot Samurai. Though I'm not sure if I want to build my army where there is a Fletcher for the accuracy or an armory to make them arrow-proof. Normally I would go with accuracy but foot samurai already have fairly high base accuracy, what do you guys think?
>>
>>365711
>shogun 2 but without cool units

wooooow
>>
>>365722
I don't know, something about getting machinegun ranged units 10 turns in just feels great
>>
>>365711
>>365730
Sounds interesting. I really like bow(only second to gun tho)
>>
File: 1610467975013.jpg (1.14 MB, 1400x635)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>365711
RotS in a nutshell.
>>
File: Mon.png (45 KB, 536x294)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
Shimazu or Chosokabe? I tried Otomo but going nowhere.
Also, I'm using the Ultimate Immersive Mod and I think it make the game harder(not that I'm good to begin with)
>>
>>365711
armory, foot sam perform VERY well in melee as well
>>
>>365876
Yeah that was what I decided on.
Basically the same thoughtprocess as Tercos, you can buff something that helps in ranged or buff something that helps in ranged and melee
>>
File: Portuguese.png (286 KB, 860x387)
286 KB
286 KB PNG
So this... is the power of Nanban warriors...
>>
File: 20200712174329_1.jpg (807 KB, 2560x1440)
807 KB
807 KB JPG
>>365952
With max armor upgrades that have 12 armor and will shrug off arrow fire
>>
>>363475
>>364838
Bird of time has to be my favorite of all TW ending credits songs.
>>
>>365875
Shimazu are the easiest of easy modes.
The trade nodes are within your grasp, you start with blacksmith and you get better katanas which can make up the core of your mid tier armies.
Also, you start with multiple sons so lack of generals won't be a problem.
>>
>>366036
Chosokabe is also pretty easy the way they basically start in control of their own little island and can then branch out to Shimazu's island and steal their trade nodes.
And their bonus is fucking archers so spam ranged to your hearts content.
>>
>>365875
Chosokabe. Shimazu is really boring.
>>
Uesugi Warrior Monks - armorer to avoid pincushioning or bladesmith for smooth and efficient shredding of peasants?
>>
>>365952
what does melee defence do?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (1.41 MB, 2560x1067)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
those poor bastards
>>
>>366165
You survive a little longer in melee
>>
>>366157
Both are viable options here. Armor is the biggest weakness of the monk yet at the same time a bonus to melee attack has synergy. I personally went for armor in my game.

>>366165
Defense is how good you are at block/dodging melee attacks. Armor also helps but it is much worse than defense is.
>>
File: 20210112214121_1.jpg (431 KB, 1920x1080)
431 KB
431 KB JPG
So this is the power of kneel fire.
>>
>>366298
Kneel fire is busted, fire by rank in FotS is much better, there are some mods that replace kneel fire with fire by rank
>>
>>366301
You are mixing the two up my friend. Kneel fire is the FotS stance and fire by rank is vanilla.
>>
>>366304
Then he shouldn't have said the other one
>>
>>352155
Why the fuck can't we put cannons on ramparts when defending a castle?
I just want to watch my big guns pulverize the approaching masses before my small guns shred them into minced meat.
>>
>>366819
this would be awesome
>>
File: 1465060266293.jpg (33 KB, 500x500)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>366306
>Kneel fire in the picture
>Kneel fire mentioned in the post
>Then he shouldn't have said the other one
What did you even mean by this?
>>
>>352257
IMHO problem with this game is IA.
The game is set up to have several -very interesting- layers.
You have the Economy, Diplomacy, Technology and military.
Realm Divide is ok, I think. But even if you starve the CPU from money, the AI cheats cash into existence from nothing. If you have +200 Diplomacy with a Loyal Vassal you have been friends with since the start of the game, suddenly +200 becomes -500, even if it makes no sense for that faction to rebel against you.
IDK if the AI cheats on technology, but probably.
And about the AI cheating on creating military, I don't care much, most the time honestly, Though it gets ridicoulous some times.
TL;DR: The AI doesn't how know to play fair
>>
>>366885
I mean whichever he is using is the shitty one because the non-shitty one would have devastated that ashigaru
>>
File: 20210114070253_1.jpg (139 KB, 921x395)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
Last two digits decides my next campaign.
>>
File: 1514112717316.png (215 KB, 371x450)
215 KB
215 KB PNG
>>367837
>Hojo
>>
>>367840
you better post that campaign here faggot
>>
File: 20210114074006_1.jpg (209 KB, 938x663)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>367843
My least favorite clan. Can I try again?
>>
>>367853
if you didn't want to play Hojo you should not have made it an option when you rolled for it
>>
>>367856
You have a point. Sigh...
>>
File: ashigaru_inf.png (95 KB, 384x236)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
How are Hojo Fire Bomb Throwers, Fire Rockets and Hand Mortars?
Since I'm going to play Hojo anyway I might as well use them.
>>
>>367898
Fire rockets are incredible while hand mortars are funny but mostly impractical. Fire bomb throwers are a joke unit, don't waste your time.
>>
>>367898
Fire rockets
>rekt everything from max range
>demolish buildings
>kill morale
>get 'em ASAP

Mortars
>deal almost no damage to infantry
>don't bother

Firebomb throwers
>will kill more of your own men than they will enemies
>can be used to some effect when attacking or defending a castle
>use at your own peril

mangonels
>just no
>maaaaaaaybe just one for the attacking army to force the enemy to attack you in field battles.
>but no.
>don't touch them with ten foot pole.

general tips:
>Get those markets and metsukes up
>hunker down on the west with some forts
>conquer the north east
>consider christianity for cannons
>consider sending a task force fleet to capture the trade nodes around Kyushu
>consider making a vassal or two for extra honour and trade partners.

tl:dr
There's no gimmick for Hojo. Just stick to playing well with your core units.
>>
>>367840
you were practically guaranteed to get hojo. this is a slow board. your strategy was... flawed.
>>
Which clan do I play if I want to go super hard into gunpowder units and make that the core of my army? I recently did a powder-focused campaign of M2 that was super fun so I want to try and emulate that in Shogun 2 if it's practical.
>>
File: 960.jpg (75 KB, 964x528)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
This land of Japan is powerful, a good place to live, a vital part of the great Mongol Empire.
The lands of the khans stretch from here in Japan across all of Asia. An empire unrivalled!
It was not always so but the Japanese daimyo and their samurai warriors are long gone. They stood against the khans and now no one even remembers their names.
Who needs to remember the long dead? Instead, let us remember the Golden Horde! Let us remember them and their great victory! They made this land!
This is the province of Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJBxqs0roIQ&ab_channel=V9STK
>>
File: Clanpack.png (298 KB, 500x444)
298 KB
298 KB PNG
>>368043
Otomo.
>>
>>368043
Otomo. They get matchlocks earlier, get better matchlock ashigaru and can recruit portugese tercos who are shoot better than matchlock samurai and fight in meele better than katana samurai.
OR download "Portugese invasion" mod and go from there.
Alternatively, there are mods that unlock firearms earlier in the tech tree so you can use them and go with whatever clan you like.
>>
>>368070
>portugese tercos
Terços
>>
>>367975
>>367940
we need a mod that makes bombs and mortars stronger
>>
File: 20210114201055_1.jpg (508 KB, 1600x1141)
508 KB
508 KB JPG
Goddammit, what the fuck is wrong with AI in this game?!
>>
How's Rise of The Samurai? I'm thinking about buying it.
>>
Is there a mod that changes unit models into anime girls?
>>
>>368730
see >>365868

It's like vanilla but wiith simpler unit variety, no guns, no Jesus and everyone plays as Chosokabe
>>
>>368954
Talk about Chosokabe. Are they fun? Are their archers really good?
>>
>>369045
Yes.
>>
>>368730
RotS is the weird one. I played almost a complete Taira campaign a few years ago and it was fun. But unlike FotS or vanilla I never felt like revisiting it. It has a very nice style with lots of warm colors and this old timey feeling to it.
Sadly gameplay is kinda not as fun as vanilla and not as radically different as FotS. I would get it if it’s on sale for real cheap. On its own it’s the weakest of the three campaigns.
>>
>>369045
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2jxs3l821Y
yes and yes
>>
>>368730
its more historically accurate and emphasises less on fantasy troops (katana samurai, battlefield ninjas etc). does however mean theres less unit variety. id only get it if you are a fan of the genpei war and kamakura era
>>
>>369045
Uesugi monk archers are much better, higher morale, range and accuracy.
>>
>>364677
Does armor actual stop bullets in FoTS?
>>
File: 20191029144546_1.jpg (412 KB, 2560x1440)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
>>367853
The clan that blows everything up is the least fun?
>>
File: 20191029235054_1.jpg (915 KB, 2560x1440)
915 KB
915 KB JPG
>>367940
I must disagree
>>
>>369135
Chosokabe Bow Ashigaru with max accuracy upgrades would be way more cost effective.
>>
>>369191
As far as I know it helps.
You can't exactly test it in custom battle. Maybe I'll load up a save and make a webm of them getting shot to showcase it.
>>
File: 20210115024459_1.jpg (168 KB, 1313x435)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>369201
I'm gonna give Hojo another chance with Ultimate Immersive Mod. It might be fun after all since I'll have to play differently than I usually do.
>>
>>352265

Realm Divide is fine except for the fact that any diplomacy is impossible after that. Even factions you've been allied to through marriage for most of the game turn on you. It works as a concept but should have been a little more nuanced.
>>
>>352265
>>369232
It's a lot better in FotS desu
>>
File: 20210115025305_1.jpg (28 KB, 236x495)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>369231
>this is their Daimyo
Looks radical.
>>
>>369232
It's possible to maintain an ally through RD if your relations were high enough, once they join you in the first couple wars they are pretty much stuck with you
>>
>>369231
Hojos not exactly about its faction bonuses but the fertile soil surrounding them; also fire bomb throwers!
>>
Noooo they're making fun of us.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/34330?l=japanese
>>
>>369243
I mean, the reasemblance is there...
>>
>>369243
Are you American? Can you tell me what exactly happened?
>>
>>369251
>Trump supporters walk into Capitol building
>Rent-a-cop shoots a woman because???
>Career politicians realise the peasant class realized how easy it would be to guillotine them all
>Politicians get scared/angry at being challenged
>Politicians sic FBI on center-right boomers
>Social media megacorps play a pretty dope prank where they ban everyone guilty of wrongthink and the next day complain about censorship
>Now everyone hates the Government, Natty G's are standing around with like 5 bullets a piece and barbed wire and 20,000 troops are guarding DC but they're poorly trained and fat because active duty cannot be deployed to American soil.
>We 3rd world now
Honestly this place should just balkanize already. Southerners don't like Northerners and vice versa. Everyone hates each other and this will only get worse until Militia groups are planting IEDs on roads and getting aid from Russia and Iran.
>>
>>352155
Even with my SSD the constant loading screens are annoying and just drag the game out and make me want to autoresolve everything.
One thing Paracuck games have over Total War t b h
>>
>>369305
at least it doesn't crash every 2 seconds like med2
>>
>>369279
>meanwhile china growing stronger every passing day
Please get your shit together, you're our only hope.
>>
File: chingchong.png (44 KB, 275x322)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>369319
Reject western civilization
Embrace Mandate of Heaven
>>
>>369319
Letting Gommies be the center of the world's manufacturing was a mistake for sure. Just hope it ain't too late.
>>
>>369319
Empires rise and fall. I guess it's time the chinks got to do something cool. Though, in my opinion, China doesn't have the military to back it up for very long. Say what you want about the NG and POG's, Active duty combat arms are very well drilled and equipped. China is only just now being able to give all their men body armor.
>>
File: 1582996358193.png (558 KB, 851x469)
558 KB
558 KB PNG
>>369334
>>369325
>>369319
americopes please
>>
>>369334
>Empires rise and fall
When will the Empire of the Rising Sun rise again?

>>369342
I'm actually quarter Chinese. I don't hate the Chinese(though many of them are insufferable) I just don't like the CCP.
>>
>>369319
lmao the only thing chinks have is numbers, their airforce is shit, their navy is shit, their armor is shit. they have no ability to move that poorly equipped and probably trained infantry anywhere. nip and gook navy alone would curbstomp chinks.
>>
>>369350
ok John McZhang
>>
Please recommend me a clan with gimmick fun.
>>
>>369402
Tokugawa
Bribe your way to victory
>>
>>369342
>He LARPS as a chinsect online
Trying to get that social credit score up early eh?
>>
Talk about China, how's Three Kingdoms?
>>
>>369409
watch out for that credit score Rodriguez! Remember to always support Israel
>>
>>369416
Very fun.
I don’t know anything about Chinese history so the setting didn’t really entice me much. But I enjoyed it quite a bit and even beat a campaign (something I haven’t done since S2).
>>
>>369433
I've the diplomacy is better than in Shogun 2?
>>
>>369435
*heard
>>
>>369402
Otomo
>matchlocks for everyone!
>Nanban Trade Ships on Turn 8!
>Make every province between Kyushu and Kyoto fall to christian rebellions!
>Invite the entire armed forces of Portugal to conquer the Nippon for you.
>>
>>369435
>poor ai, friendly terms
>won't give me a trade agreement
>have to pay 2k for it
>next turn the ai breaks the trade agreement
>now we're on unfriendly terms because we had a treaty broken
being better than shogun 2 in diplomacy is not a high bar desu
>>
File: Sun_Ren.jpg (751 KB, 1024x1280)
751 KB
751 KB JPG
>>369435
There's no classic realm divide. The end game is the three most powerful faction fighting over who gets to be emperor. You can use diplomacy to get the remaining smaller factions on your side. You can also use diplomacy to convince the other emperor's to abdicate in your favor.
People actually make peace if you're kicking their ass or the war is a pointless stalemate.
People can go from enemies to friends and vice versa.
You can trade provinces for a reasonable price.
You can form coalitions with other factions. It's like a more loose alliance where you can support each other in war. But refusing to join in a war doesn't instantly dissolve the coalition or make everybody hate you for being untrustworthy.
It probably has the best diplomacy of any TW so far. Which isn't saying much but it's something.
>>
File: Samurai_crossbow.jpg (493 KB, 1500x2051)
493 KB
493 KB JPG
>>368730
>>368954
>Genpei war
>no crossbows
Missed opportunity CA. The 12th century was the last time their use was recorded in Japan.
>>
>>369237
>Hojos not exactly about its faction bonuses but the fertile soil surrounding them
Did you forget they start with a fucking gold mine?
>>
>>369319
China has been in civil war since 1925, I'm not worried about it.
>>
>>369435
The diplomacy is the only good thing I've heard about it honestly
>>
>>369416
A lot of the campaign-level stuff is good and it innovates on the formula there in a lot of ways that the franchise hasn't really tried to innovate on in a long time. But I didn't really like the battles.
>>
File: Rolling-Dice.jpg (50 KB, 772x603)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
if 1,2 Chosokabe
if 3,4 Shimazu
if 5,6 Oda
if 7,8 Date
if 9,0 Takeda
if repeated digits Uesugi
>>
File: Oda_nobunaga.jpg (34 KB, 360x450)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>369495
It's peasants time!
>>
>>369500
look at that schnoz
>>
>>369416
wish i could tell you about it but chinese history is one of the few categories of history that absolutely bores me to death
>>
>>369232
Shogun 2 is near-perfect, except for these small issues that snow-ball cumulatively.
>CA will never make another game like this again
>>
>>369557
There's not a whole lot you could say without just diving into a summary of the giant epic. It's a civil war between 3 kingdoms and countless minor regional powers over who will get to become the defacto ruler of the splintered imperial domain. It's a story like the Iliad where the focus is on an enormous cast of 'heroes' and generals all identified either for their ridiculously superhuman feats of strength and combat acumen, or their incredibly exaggerated slightly-above-average intellect and cunning, but the characters and their relationships become cumbersome and labyrinthine because everyone is son of X and title of Y, in service of Z's household whose a retainer of somesuch or another.
>>
File: 20210115070230_1.jpg (384 KB, 1600x900)
384 KB
384 KB JPG
Should I vassalize these two or just conquer them? Is there any point to make vassals?
They have fertile land btw.
>>
>>352155
That's every total war, mopping up always sucks.
>>
>>369582
Vassals are for guaranteed trade partners and the permanent honor for your daiymo, caps at +3 honor iirc. Vassals will betray you during RD if their disposition gets negative enough. Fertile soil is good money, they pay tribute to you but you'll get more money if you take them for yourself, however having two trade partners during RD will get you way, way more money.
>>
>>369593
It doesn't have to, which is the frustrating part. It's been a running issue with the series for so long and CA has never even made a vague gesture towards improving it until fucking Troy. I don't like saying good things about that game but at least the greeks have a final boss to build towards.
>>
>>369191
>>369214
Alright, I did some testing. The testing circumstances were far from optimal but I think I got something somewhat comparable.
Here is 5 armor Katana Kachi taking 5 volleys from rank 5 Black Bears before they drop below 100 men. https://streamable.com/s1cs6i
And here is 9 armor Katana Kachi taking what looks like 6 partial volleys from a rank 5 Line Infantry, Red Bear, and General's Bodyguard just to be brought down to 140. https://streamable.com/n86h32
Both were in closed ranks instead of loose formation which you would normally be in when taking fire like that.
Maybe it is just the battle circumstances throwing things out of whack, I did notice some of the generals walking right up next to them and firing point blank were getting a ton of kills.
I also considered testing the Shogitai who have 2 armor as a control but I think this adequately showcases that armor is doing "something," though far be it from me to tell you exactly what other than it is worth taking even against riflemen.
>>
>>369611
Attila and S2 does a better job of giving you something to build towards in the lategame.
>>
>>369582
Nah. Vassalizing is a waste. The AI is too retarded to of being any help militarily. Furthermore, they will be a nuisance politically when Realm Divide happens and they try to dick ass thief you if your relation isn't perfect.
>>
>>369416
Best diplo by far.

Still not a fan how army composition is still slaved to named generals since Rome 2, and now it's worse with the retainer system. While I really enjoyed Shogun 2's battles that was essentially my spear and bow japmanii vs the other spear and bow japmanii, I found the chinkmanii grinder of 3K to be tedious and boring, with now real excitement gained from unlocking and using new unit types.

Another thing that bothered me, and I don't know if the DLC fixed this with the Nanman, but the entire southern portion of the map was just barren with low garrisoned Han towns that are super easy pickings for a faction, particularly Wu, allowing you to really blow your empire up quickly with minimal resistance.
>>
Fuck, why is the timeline in RotS so short? I'm playing as the faction with +50% bushido tech speed, and the game is about to end before I've even finished the tree. I was turtling up to get ready for the RD when I realized it was almost over
>>
>>369809
>now it's worse with the retainer system
I kinda like the retainer system more than the Rome 2 version. It gave a bit more soul and planning to how you compose your army. I enjoyed having more than one general per army. Always liked having my heir with me in S2 and the new system let’s me do it.
The classic pre-Rome 2 system is still the best but if I had to choose between R2 and 3K‘s system I’d rather go with 3K.
>>
>>369237
>fertile soil
But anon all the clay around their starting province is average at best...
>>
>>369748
Atilla gives you something to build towards during the midgame, that being surviving the huns. But lategame, once Atilla himself is dead, he leaves you with a map that's half empty and a bunch of minor factions with 1-2 settlements each struggling to produce enough food. The AI almost never resettles razed territory and is terrible at juggling all of the lategame mechanics, even with Very Hard cheats, so they never manage to consolidate into a meaningful empire that can resist you. Campaigns are pretty much over as soon as you beat the huns, there's just nothing left to fight.
>>
>>370778
Surviving Attila is the main campaign objective.
You aren't supposed to conquer the entire map. That's why you get raped by corruption when you take half of it.
>>
>>371099
>Surviving Attila is the main campaign objective.
For the romans. Fortunately there are many, many other factions that offer different campaign experiences, and the focus is primarily on the great migrators who were the actual main characters of that era, not rome--which is more or less just a challenge run campaign to play as the NPC punching bag faction.

And there's an issue with "survive" as an objective. The difficulty in survival doesn't meaningfully increase over the course of a campaign. There's a spike in difficulty as climate change sets in and the Attila takes over the huns, but then that difficult just persists for ~100 turns despite survival becoming progressively easier as tech provides buildings that make it easier to maintain food and public order, you access walled minor settlements and stronger garrisons that make your territory unassailable to hun armies and you close the gap in unit quality by unlocking the elite units at the end of your tech tree. The 'climax' of the campaign happens about 50 turns in and the other 150 are just a gradual falling action as things get easier and everyone around you withers away to their own AI ineptitude. Once you've stabilized, the campaign plays itself.

The huns make for a great midboss and shape the campaign in an interesting and enriching way, but the campaign lacks an end boss to make playing through to your victory condition, or to realizing the end of your tech tree and lategame army roster feel satisfying-- which is especially an issue because so many factions don't begin to see real diversity in their rosters to distinguish them from their neighbours until that lategame.

And corruption is trivial even at its max value because your armies are capped by a hard limit anyways. Corruption never impacts your income enough to prevent you from fielding the maximum amount of armies filled with your best units--at which point any further economic expansion has no real purpose anyways.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.