[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 70 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Engineer.jpg (4 KB, 144x144)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
burn the forest
>>
File: 1584883747811.jpg (66 KB, 426x960)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
FEED THE WORMS
>>
I AM INVINCIBLEEE!!!!
>>
BLOOD AND SOULS FOR MY LORD KARGOTH!
>>
>>327091
That is so.
>>
>in TPC undead have acces to liches on keep lvl 5
>theres one demon faction that gets them on keep lvl 2
ok cool
>>
>>327074
LOOK AT THESE MUSCLES!
>>
>>327074
>There will never be a new WLBC
>One that is even bigger, with even more hero customization and more
>Will be forever stuck on Puzzle Quest
I will never eat Balora's ass ever again...
>>
>>327227
TPC is almost like Fourth Battlecry game
>>
Why couldn't it have been WBC2 that had its source code opened? That game is miles better than 3 minus the new races.

Imagine a TPC style mod on WBC2
>>
I liked the first one for actually having race class restrictions. Minotaurs were beasts even though they only had fighter and pyromancer available.
>>
2 campaign > rest
>>
>>327457
>TCP
That Protectors thing?
>>
>>327227
tfw the closest we get is Spellforce which has no RPG mechanics outside of the campaign and is at the same time too vanilla and too specific about everything.
>>
>>327648
>Spellforce
It was an extremely long time ago I played this series. Good times indeed.
>>
>>327649
theres a new installment thats pretty good (at least the expansions are)
but no free play (which used to be a sandbox rpg mode in sf1 and 2)
Online play is basically warcraft 3 tho
>>
File: theidealman.jpg (66 KB, 460x460)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
KNIGHT CHADS RISE UP
>>
>>327553
WBC2 has race/class restrictions as well; I love WBC3 but I do think that they went full retard by allowing every race to be every class
>>
>>327877
KNIGHT LORDS RULE
>>
>>327880
Why? I think the restrictions in WBC2 were dumb. Like dark elves can be ice mages but not pyromancers but their sorcerors have pillar of fire. In WBC3, any race/class combo can be explained to make sense, you just need some creativity.
>>
>>328020
>dark elves can be ice mages but not pyromancers
Probably because ice magic wasn't in 1 iirc, and pyromancy is already attributed to minotaurs
>>
>>327877
Am I the only one who thinks that splitting up humans into two factions was...kinda stupid?
>>
>>328148
Yes
>>
>>328148
nah it was based.
I fucking hate it when fantasy games have "Humans" as a faction, that way they always ed up boring.
Also Arnold barbarians are based
>>
>>328148
I think it was a good idea, they are very different after all. I always thought it would be cool if the Diraqines were also a separate faction, with a Middle-Eastern aesthetic.
>>
>>328020
There were so many dumb things, like all elves can be alchemists, but not the dwarves.
>>
>>328148
No, both the empire and the knights are very different factions with their own appeal and playstyles.
What's dumb is that barbarian units don't count as humans. Not talking about their monsters, but the actual human barbarians.
>>
>>328178
>LOOK AT THESE MUSCLES
>I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD
>HUM IS GOOD!
>JA!
>>
>>328371
They are obviously superhuman
>>
File: 1605273178786.gif (747 KB, 246x208)
747 KB
747 KB GIF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mVkHHb6F2o&list=PLXDKnk4aj2IXigfoMOlUO1_dNGgs-hT-6&index=6
>>
>>328549
>Protectors allows me to listen to any Warlords soundtrack including first Battlecry
>>
>>328554
You can do it easily in any WBC game, just swap the music files and/or edit the ini as needed.
>>
>>328564
I know. But I like how mod have all files and allow easy switch
>>
>>328371
Inbreeding with horses changed their bloodline over the centuries.
>>
>>328169
>>328178
>>328236
>>328371
Honestly if they wanted different human factions, then they could've presented new human factions that differ culturally and have everything literally different from the mainline humans. The split caused the Knights to loose access to Mages (White ones to be precise). And the spell-caster units they have are sadly mediocre when it comes to actual magic.
>What's dumb is that barbarian units don't count as humans. Not talking about their monsters, but the actual human barbarians.
Well duh. What do you expect from a bunch of ultra-hardcore survivalists who all have body-builder-tier bodies and their leaders shouting that they have "THE BODY OF A GOD!"? They are literally super-human with little to no armor who can actually give demons one hell of a fight.
>>
>>329774
Both knights and empire differ culturally, what are you talking about? And the knights have shittier magic because they are simply not a magic faction. They are supposed to make up for it with their strong cavalry.
>They are literally super-human with little to no armor who can actually give demons one hell of a fight
Most barbarians are low-tier trash spear throwers, not superhuman. Knights again ride them over.
>>
>>329774
>>329311
>>328376
They are Neanderthal if survive
>>
>>329774
they share some of the unit pool but yeah theyre different
>knights lose access to Mages
play empire then?
having different fluff and units is cool.
>>
>>329811
>>329774
Im not even kidding i genuinly enjoy playing both of them but i wouldnt if they were one faction. At least from an aesthetic viewpoint.
Them having distinct aesthetics makes them more worthwhile as factions. I love the Empires mercenary stuff because i think it fits realy well and i love the knights just beeing pure Horsemanii

It gives em personality and makes me want to play them
>>
>>329818
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp-vm_jQSrQ
>>
>whad do ya say, gav?
>>
>>328148
It was stupid merging them into one.
Selentines and Sirians don't belong together in the same faction.
>>
File: The state of Warlords.png (281 KB, 839x556)
281 KB
281 KB PNG
What happened?
>>
>>332415
Profitable business model
>>
>>332415
RTS went out of style. But what's wrong with Puzzle Quest? I like it.
>>
>>332415
>>332472
Think Fawkner really liked Bejeweled and wanted to make an actual game out of it. The shift to them just making Puzzle Quest over and over is due to it actually being easy money, where as its hard to say how succsessful Battlecry has been.
>>
>>332415
Fawkner doesn't really care.
>>
>>333060
He said that they would make WBC4 or Warlords 5 if they had enough money.
>>
they should just pull off same thing worms did just patch the protectors into wbc3 as a free update
>>
>>332415
Unironically Puzzle Quest was fun too but it should not be only thing left from series now
>>
File: waifus battle cry.png (129 KB, 501x329)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
I revive the eternal question.
>>
>>336831
>which wud u fuck Megan Fox or Caitlyn Jenner
>>
>>336831
doesn't matter, I'll make dryad into a banshee anyway
>>
>>327074
>you can't actually burn forest in any Battlecry game
>>
>>337220
if there's a ton of those elf buildings that make their units then you could burn a forest
>>
>>337220
Still weird, how wood is not a resource in this game.
>>
>>337476
>destroying buildings instead converting
>>
>>338124
i convert them into resources by destroying them and having bronze golems scavenge the rubble
>>
>>336831
Drayad, just look at her
>>
>>336831
Where snake girl?
>>
File: 34587235.jpg (187 KB, 750x1819)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>339182
In my harem
>>
File: succ.jpg (20 KB, 144x144)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>336831
>>
>>327549
I agree with this, I'm always surprised at how much more I enjoy 2 than 3.
>>
File: Sprite.png (20 KB, 144x144)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>336831
>>
Is there some place where people play this game online?
>>
>>341214
try the protectors discord
>>
>>339948
Based merCha(d)nt
>>
>>341142
Ouhhhhhhhh cunny
>>
I really like playing Dwarves in WBC2 but something about them just seems off in the third game for some reason. I tried TPC and that just makes things worse by making them less gold dependent which just seems weird for Dwarves. I guess it works out though because I really like Empire in WBC3.
>>
File: Pixie.jpg (4 KB, 144x145)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>341959
This is the true cunny
>>
AN ENEMY HERO HAS BEEN DESTROYED
>>
>>342459
Pixi looks like a 70 year old woman shrinked.
>>
- no pain
- no memories
- only darkness
>>
File: attack_kill.png (378 KB, 500x434)
378 KB
378 KB PNG
Who is THE most overpowered faction-hero combo in these games?
>>
>>344754
It depends.
>>
>>344754
In the level 30-50 range possibly a ssrathi merchant leading Fey
>>
>>344754
Dark elf Assassin
>>
>>341383
i have pathological fear of dicksord
cant we just play it here ? TPC is defacto free and all you have to do when hosting game is just port forward
>>
>>345407
I don't like it either, but it seems that the entire WBC multiplayer community nowadays is on Discord. So good luck finding a partner here.
>>
>>340957
Only if you are into anal.
>>
>>347157
Why?
>>
>>329811
>Most barbarians are low-tier trash spear throwers, not superhuman.
They were absolutely superhuman before the patch that nerfed Chieftain's bonus exp to Barbarians.
>>
File: WarlordsBattlecry3b.png (2.67 MB, 1920x1080)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB PNG
>>348621
>They were absolutely superhuman before the patch that nerfed Chieftain's bonus exp to Barbarians.
It's really fun.
Which patch nerfed it btw? was it a protectors? I haven't played protectors, so maybe I've only played with it pre-nerf.

1vs5 emperor AI and I feel unstoppable with that combo, but I don't kill fast enough to stop the game from crashing from too many units.
>>
>>348636
Dangerously based, barbarians are crazy fun
>>
>>348636
Pretty sure it's the unofficial patch, which is fucking garbage anyway. I don't know who ever played it.
>>
>>348541
Because asses
>>
>>344754
Better question: what is the WORST one? The AI is way too weak for me now, I want to try a challenge.
>>
Protectors have bug with resources. Some times modifier will become negative instead positive and trying to get more of that resource will only increase that negative modified, making it practically impossible to gather that resource. It's different from penalties
>>
>>348947
I like the pricing adjustments for units in the unofficial patch.
>>
>>349864
Have you read the documentation for resources? I think that's working as intended and yeah it's a little retarded.
>>
>>350043
No, thats not how it was intended. Way it is indented is you get penalties to all resources but you can still fix it if you get more mines and miners. And assuming there is some random event what drains one of your resources it is still temporary. I'm talking about something what practically disable one resource for for entire mission from start to finish
>>
>>348947
>which is fucking garbage anyway.
You literally need the patch, so you can finish quite a few missions.
>>
At what point does the unoffical patch start to tweak mechanics instead of just being a bugfix? I wanna play the original game before Protectors.
>>
>>351373
Protectors also have original campaign, just switch to that mod already
>>
>>351234
What? I have been playing without the unofficial patch for many years and I could always finish everything.
>>351373
That patch always messed with the mechanics for the sake of "balance", that's the problem with it. And considering bugfixes, from my experience, it actually adds more bugs than it removes.
>>351382
Protectors is an unfinished buggy mess with no direction. It's still far from being playable in my opinion.
>>
>>351382
I like some things about TPC but there's a lot not to like as well.
>>
Would you say investing in the lord skill to increase the moral ffot your faction is worth it?
Personally I started taking it for my demon Summoner because low unit max kept me from swarming.
>>
>>352384
If you don't have a better skill to invest in, then sure. It's a safe choice.
>>
>>352507
Pyromancy doesn't seems to be such a good magic for a race, that gets a bonus during storm and my magic becomes dead weight, if I can't summon any more creatures.
Also I don't need much defense, since my hero stays mostly at home, anyway, or can teleport himself back.
A sham blink is such a garbage, which could need a buff.
>>
>>348636
I quite like Barbarian buildings, they really pop out - especially on green maps.
>>
>>349722
A Shaman with a faction which only does elite troops? Haven't played the game too much outside of undead, wish i could send it back in time to my childhood self.
>>
>>327091
Nah, you are just stronger
>>
File: 1570140335960.jpg (94 KB, 915x1000)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>technocrat evil dwarf faction
More settings should have had this. Only other one i can think of is whfb.
>>
>>349722
Undead Healer.
>>
>>359350
I just checked and healing spells actually work on undead troops so that seems like a pretty good combination desu
>>
>>359350
>>360733
Undead bard, then? Undead do start with 1 charisma.
>>
>>360794
Any type of leader.
>>
Holy shit playing the protectors with the goblin subfaction is some of the most fun shit I've done in games lately
>>
>>358980
Based taste, they are extremely cool and superior to regular dwarves
>>
>>327877
Based, fuck nerfing crusade research
>>
>>363001
That's cool, I haven't tried that one yet. The subfactions are sort of a huge mess at the moment with some totally unplayable weird-ass crap and some great ones. I think they'd be better off giving every race the same number of highly fleshed-out subfactions.
>>
Wish there were new games in this series. Loves the battlecry games despite not normally liking RTS.
>>
>>363881
>I think they'd be better off giving every race the same number of highly fleshed-out subfactions.
Hard to make it make sense by giving everyone the same amount.
>>
What is dare I say the most useless unit?
>>
>>364447
Sylphs maybe?
>>
>>364463
Not at all, they are pretty good once upgraded like all fey troops.
>>
>>364466
Once you've got the upgrades, why would you make sylphs and not better fey units?
>>
>>364503
Because you have a shitload of crystal to spare.
>>
>>364506
don't you make pixies and leprechauns then?
or even sprites or unicorns
>>
>>364521
You need upgraded bases for pixies so sylphs are more practical usually, at least it seems so for me, but I haven't really played fey much so maybe I'm doing it all wrong. Usually I used mostly leprechauns, spriggans and syphs.
>>
>>364528
>You need upgraded bases for pixies so sylphs are more practical usually
You were talking about upgraded sylphs as a reason for them not being useless, pointing out that you need upgrades for pixies also negates the reason sylphs would be good
>they are pretty good once upgraded like all fey troops.
>>
>>364535
Their upgrades are not done in the base but in other buildings.
>>
>>364536
>base
Oh you're referring specifically to the Dreamhold, gotcha, thought you were talking about the general base needs be upgraded, which means you would have upgrades.

Yeah that's fair, getting some tier 3 dreamholds for pixies might be enough that sylphs aren't the most useless.
Though I've never experienced that scenario where I couldn't get more tier 3 dreamholds or Rainbows.
Rainbows where you build leprechauns would be a way to avoid getting up to tier 3 dreamholds, but they do cost more.
So maybe there's some gap where you can use them a bit and they're not objectively inferior, still not sure what would be worse.
>>
>>364330
I'd kill for a new one. Give me a modern RTS/RPG hybrid. I guess there's spellforce, but WB had better RTS aspect.
>>
>>351481
>Protectors is an unfinished buggy mess with no direction. It's still far from being playable in my opinion.

The problem with the Protectors is that the creator and his team never take the time to get a solid working game before completely reinventing the wheel and adding in a shit ton of features that no one asked for. They also have an issue with an autistic obsession with being "lore friendly" and making very questionable balance decisions around that.

Since the last patch they left behind a bunch of bugs and unfinished factions that have since been fixed in the Developer version. HOWEVER they also decided to implement a 3 way hard counter system for infantry in the upcoming version that is going to completely screw what people are used to and add even more bloat to the number of calculations that the game has to do.

If they had simply fixed what was already on the table and then finished out their campaign ideas the game would be perfect. But in true autist fashion it looks like they are going to forever be reinventing the game instead of ever creating a finished product.

Patrick if you are reading this please for the love of God just fix the damn bugs and finish the factions before adding in all that other stuff. It's been almost a year since the last release and eventually you are going to get bored of working on this project and it would be better to leave behind a product where at least there were no bugs in the hard coded section.
>>
>>366358
>
Since the last patch they left behind a bunch of bugs and unfinished factions that have since been fixed in the Developer version. HOWEVER they also decided to implement a 3 way hard counter system for infantry in the upcoming version that is going to completely screw what people are used to and add even more bloat to the number of calculations that the game has to do.
Are they really doing that? That sucks mang.
>>
>>366358
>They also have an issue with an autistic obsession with being "lore friendly" and making very questionable balance decisions around that.
That's the most based thing about the mod.
>>
>>366358
I enjoy the direction they're going for. The thing I want least is them not innovating. Also my game is rarely buggy and I've been playing off and on for years
>>
>>366363
https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQIyTcomtijtCjY9Z1UeIJ6dKutyhz6D8PImNGG_-6ag4EtX6rB55hqbVYqnYroCZlqJv4U8xCdQXUg/pub

They are also taking away the ability of the undead to summon other undead units and morph into stronger units.

MOTHERFUCKING WHY!?!?! That was the whole goddamn point of the undead and what made them unique. I swear to god eventually this is going to get balanced into simultaneous moves chess with how bland they keep making everything.

I'm sure people will find other stupid shit that they don't like but honestly even just at a glance it looks like they are OVER-balancing things again.

>flyers have to enter a 'dive' state to attack ground units
??? why ???
>>
>>366366
It really isn't, because they make up their own lore and do odd balance decisions that don't make sense for the overall strategy of a side.

>Dark dwarf golems can no longer attack air
>Goes from having OK anti-air capabilities to about the worst anti-air capabilities of any side

>>366367
I played if for a long ass time before the glaring bugs and crashes just became too much to deal with even after I went into the code and tried to fix everything that wasn't hard coded. It also doesn't help that once the new version hits all of your old hero data and saves will be corrupted if you try to port it over so just keep that in mind.
>>
>>366371
>They are also taking away the ability of the undead to summon other undead units and morph into stronger units.
I don't even play undead but that is unbearably retarded. They give plaguelords more ability to spread disease but then they take away undead's signature mechanic? This one step forward, one step back approach is sadly very common with these big mods.
>>
>>366390
>>366371
Oh come on, that wasn't necessary, I don't understand why they would do shit like that
>>
>>366358
>They also have an issue with an autistic obsession with being "lore friendly"
They are not lore-friendly at all, they invent their own lore that sometimes outright contradicts the canon.
>>
>>366371
go ahead and ask them on discord for the reasoning behind this, Kharn and Patrick are pretty vocal and the community is small enough where they talk to pretty much everyone
>>
File: 1541867685082.jpg (38 KB, 657x527)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
wbc has official lore?
>>
I've just accepted that the protectors isn't like any of the games in the trilogy and is it's own thing, if I want to play WBC I'll play through second game's campaign again or I'll play 3, I'll play protectors if I want something that is similar to WBC but a different experience all together, also when I want to fuck around with all the shit they've added, making different race/faction/hero combinations is some good shit.
>>
so is 9.0.0 out of not
>>
>>367066
Not yet
>>
For anons asking about the lore in the protectors mod here you go
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lQ8t4MZBKNyH4RiTczqiWaMuOcPNSao8Exiftz8Q3ng/pub
>>
>>366376
>Dark dwarf golems can no longer attack air
Makes sense, golems were weak to air and good to ground pre wbc3
>>
>>366887
this, WBC2 is the perfect Warlords Battlecry game. The Protectors is the unofficial WBC4
>>
>>366887
I treat it as unofficial WBC4. Not to mention I only have this and WBC1 right now
>>
>>366554
I have talked to them on discord before and it is always a dice roll whether they will respond one way or another. Because the discord is literally drowning in a sea of "Idea Guys" suggesting the dumbest crap, some of which makes it in, and the handful of people objecting to some of the dumber decisions they make usually get met with a we will see type response.

>>367066
Not for a real long time from what they told me. Because rather than do a release and several patches they want to release a more finished version in the future. Sounds good on paper but the problem is that they always without fail miss bugs and glitches that the userbase notices almost immediately. Which as I've told them before is why making patches and hot fixes isn't necessarily a bad thing. Even for as many patches as 8.9 had I still preferred that to getting fucking nothing for an entire year.
>>
thread derailed by a bunch of babies crying about free content
>>
>>368018
back to the discord hugbox with you. Shitty design changes deserve to get called out.

Just like when the unofficial patch team got called out for summon timers and putting profanity into the capture warning text.
>>
>>367949
honestly seeing your mentality kinda sours the mood of any place or small community you enter.

I appreciate the work they do even if they make mistakes, and that's what's necessary if I want to keep enjoying this series. Sometimes you need to innovate or steer things in a direction that would lose a portion of the original audience (ie you) in order to keep things entertaining and new

>>368018
It's just one guy whining. If he wants to complain about TPC then let him.
>>
>>367137
Why do they consider Warlords IV not canon? And why, if its events are referenced in Puzzle Quest as something that occcured hundreds of years in the past, do I see that they put W4 over 100 years after PQ in the timeline?
>>368351
>It's just one guy
No, it's at least him and me. Basically, in my opinion, instead of trying to do a thousand things at once, they should make a mod for WBC3 that adds the quality-of-life features and improved AI of TPC without changing anything else, make sure everything works well and only then maybe try to add their own ideas - one at a time.
>>
>>368398
>Why do they consider Warlords IV not canon?
Probably because it makes no sense, is contradictory and doesn't really add anything.
>>
>>368351
Quit being a whiny baby just because someone doesn't like what you like. Drama queens like you is what really ruins communities.
>>
File: 1572294959325.jpg (69 KB, 449x547)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>368981
>stop whining
>no you're whining shut up
whatever man, take your point and add another tally to your warlords arguments won sketch on the basement wall
>>
>>367614
>WBC2 is the perfect Warlords Battlecry game
Agreed but I wish that Empire and Knights were separate. Someone mod that shit in.
>>
>>368398
>No, it's at least him and me. Basically, in my opinion, instead of trying to do a thousand things at once, they should make a mod for WBC3 that adds the quality-of-life features and improved AI of TPC without changing anything else, make sure everything works well and only then maybe try to add their own ideas - one at a time.
I have criticisms for the mod as well, so that makes three. It's cool that other people really like the mod but I'm free to have opinions about where I think it fails.
>>
>>369855
That's a good thing honestly, I wish the community was way larger so the modding community was better but oh well. The source code can be put to better use
>>
>>337220
I honestly don't like that resources in WB are basically just number going up and everything else is exactly the same.
>>
>>370127
Better than just using the generic "villagers gather resources" formula
>>
>>370150
>villagers gather resources
That's still the case, isn't it?
And no, I don't consider it better.
I like it, when resources have more identity, if you get what I mean.
Converting resource generators is fine, but there needs to be something that makes each resource more distinct.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.