[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 37 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: EAW.jpg (47 KB, 460x215)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>
>>273442
maybe
>>
>>273442
with mods yes
>>
>>273442
The Syndicate campaign is pretty cool. Fucking weaponized Ewoks.
>>
>>273442
Objectivly it’s a very simple game where you rush the good units and then build nothing else. You can win entire campains with a single good unit, and that’s just how it is.
Mods, however, open up a lot of possibility. I wish there was a sequel, because it really is a fun game and the mods do so much to carry it - if only they were on a better base.
>>
>>273442
What these blokes said:
>>273453
>>273465
EAW is one of the games of my childhood and I love it for it, but it is quite a simple rts with a fun but shallow galaxy map expierience. The mods, however, are something else. Back in the day I thought Republic at War was hot shit because of its bigger scale and new units, but then I gave a chance to the Empire at War Expanded mods (formerly Thrawn's Revenge, but now it's much more than that).

To anyone who has a game, do yourself a favour and try one of these. Their flagship, Thrawn's Revenge, turns a decent but not exceptional rts into what's one of my favourite games of all time already, and they're still progressing. With 3.0 expected to come out on the months, they're using every trick they could come up with to turn this base into more and more of a 4X game while having to use mission menus and such to give you mechanics that the original game could never dream about. More, what was already a decent space combat game has become excellent, not only in its newfound depth and diversity of units, but thanks to stellar modelling, texturing, lighting and particle effect overhauls the game has also become actually pretty to look at a lot of the time, stretching its antiquated engine as much as humanly possible.
And on top of that, they're building 2 more mods on this basis - an early version of their Clone Wars mod is already out, and an Old Republic Era one is in the works too. What a time to be alive. These mods are literally the reason to buy this game, they're something else.

Land battles are still shit tho. No matter what they do -and oh god, do they try- they can never unshit them, which is why I just autoresolve them anyways.
>>
File: sad1.gif (3.16 MB, 360x234)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB GIF
Once Petroglyph finishes their another game in 2021 they will be free to make a remake of EAW
>>
>>273518
I don't want a remake, just a higher resolution patch
>>
>>273442
Absolutely. like both the vanilla and the expansion.
Republic At War is also a really amazing and fun mod.
>>
>>273442
Not really the space and ground battles both get repetitive.
>>
>>273529
>Republic At War
I too enjoy being attacked by giant space doughnut doomstacks every five seconds.
>>
>>273442
Space is good, land battles are hot trash.
>>
>>273557
I only play on medium difficulties so never had this issue
>>
>>273505
That sounds kindve awesome. I played this game as a kid and enjoyed the hell out of it. Is it hard to get mods working or is it pretty easy? I'd go back to it just for the space battles, they were dope as fuck.
>>
>>273442
For the most part.

It's simplistic, and the ground battles are a scourge on at least half the maps, but it really understands the appeal of Star Wars grand strategy.
>>
>>273564
My thoughts exactly.
>>
>>273579
you can download most of them if you have steam.
>>
Awakening of the Rebellion mod has improved ground battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkGd72QV8pg
>>
>>273579
You can get mods for the disk version but it's actually not the same, since the Steam version actually got an extra patch from the devs in the 2010's. I rebought the game on Steam- where its very cheap, as old games are- just for the patch and more easier to get mods, and I don't regret it. The patch makes the game run better on modern systems and fixes some other stuff, meaning most devs develop mostly for the Steam version.

Note: afaik GOG version doesn't have the patch either.
>>
File: 1365257974237.webm (2.87 MB, 1080x608)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB WEBM
>>273442
>Is Empire at War good?
Vanilla? No. With Thrawn's Revenge and other mods it is a brilliant Star Wars game.
>>
>>273442
Getting to play the Syndicate campaign and waving your Big Criminal Cock was fun
>>
>>273505
last time i installed thrawn's revenge, maybe two or three years ago, the campaign was a complete cakewalk. as the empire (or maybe it was the remnant, under thrawn, i don't remember too much). you could steamroll the rebels with just your starting fleets. i'm guessing there's been a lot of changes since then?
also this was on a pirated copy, from your other posts i gather i need the steam version to get the most out of the mod.
>>
File: 176b27b7ca.jpg (455 KB, 1920x1200)
455 KB
455 KB JPG
>>273442
Yes, EaW is pretty great. My favorite mod.
>>
>>274403
Thrawn's revenge is currently on version 2.3.6 iirc,with previews for 3.0 well on the way. The biggest GC map has like 140 planets and there's currently I think 8 playable factions:
New Republic
Empire Remanent
Corporate Sector Authority
Pentastar Alignment
Zsinj's Empire
Greater Maldrood
Eriadu Authority
Empire of the Hand

Hapes Consortium is expected to be playable sooner rather than later. Yuuzhan Vong as well as multiple other emergent factions are planned as mid and late-game threats (think late game invasions in Stellaris) that will also be playable in some bookmarks and will be able to spawn randomly on the map if specific conditions are met during a long GC. Due to a hard limit on factions Eriadu Authority will loose its status as a playable faction at some point, its heroes and units redistributed to other Imperial factions.

In the latest patches they have started introducing new GC mechanics, so far primarily influence and government mechanics. Influence is specific to each planet you control, you get it up by building specific buildings and ruling for a long time, you lose it by the planet getting attacked (possibly other events in the future). The highier the influence, the smaller the debuff/the highier the buff to the income, while on level 10 some planets give special bonuses (eg. 10 on Bothawui lets you research a new, strong ship as the NR). Government mechanics are faction-specific, so far New Republic has votes on different heads of State every couple weeks (which you can influence), each head giving a different bonus.

The version of those mechanics in 2.3.6 is a preview of what's supposed to come in 3.0, as the devs say they want to get the players accustomed with GC having more accustomed. So far the mechanics I remember announced for 3.0 are more Government Mechanics (additional full Cabinet mechanic for NR, you chose different Heroes to be part of your Cabinet and each has specific effects on the faction);
cont.
>>
>>274439
cont:
Planetary revolts due to low influence levels and a whole new Resource system consisting of at the moment (if I remember correctly):
-Ship Crews (that you use to build ships)
-Industrial Supplies
-Civilian Supplies
-I think there was a 4th one not sure

Other than that it's constant balance changes, new ships and new models/textures for new ships, new game modes (so far other than main GC maps and historical GC's there's a randomized 1-planet start mode, some ahistorical scenario as well as a fleet building mode where you can spawn as many ships of any kind as you want on any side and see what happens).
>>
>>273442
>Is Empire at War good?
NO
>>
I get the sense that most of the more popular mods for this are super tryhard and obtuse just for the sake of it.
>>
>>273442
Yes. Main game is a bit simple for a strategy game but fun, especially if you like your Star Wars tech. Expansion mixes things up a bit. Syndicate is a broken faction, but campaign is still one of the best in a Star Wars game (and coincidentally the last time a SW game had a good story).
Mods elevate it even further as others already said.
>>
>>273442
depends
>>
>>275975
Do you have any examples?
>>
>>273557
As the Republic, it's not too much of a problem. You just have to build hypervelocity guns in key positions while expanding in other directions.
The CIS are another story. I don't find them fun at all to play, though that's mainly because I'm horrible at managing aircraft.

>>273579
Mods are pretty easy to install. Probably on par with Medieval 2 Total War. The Steam version can also install mods for you via the workshop, and there's a "mods" menu in the game.

>>274403
The Imperial Remnant is pretty easy at the beginning, since you have Star Destroyers that can be built cheap which annihilate rebel armies that lack good capital ships prior to Era 3.
The Empire gets a lot harder as time goes on, and the Republic gets a lot easier.
Also, Super Star Destroyers are OP and will only lose to SSDs, hypervelocity guns, entire full stacks of Star Destroyers, and poor movement. The Empire can get 5-6 of them in certain starts, which makes them busted.
>>
>>273505
I really want to enjoy Thrawn's Revenge, but my pea brain can't handle the massively expanded galaxy map. There are just so many connecting hyperlane into enemy territories, I can't micro everything at once.
I'm tempted to just sacrifice some planets that are surrounded by enemies just so I won't have to manage them.
>>
>>274430
looks like HoI4
>>
>>278373
>Sacrifice some planets that are surrouned by enemies so I won't have to manage them
That's the basic strategy for the Empire. You start off over-extended, so you want to fortify the wealthy planets in the fringes while consolidating the core, before just conquering everything piecemeal.

>>278392
It's Equestria at War, which is, as you say, a HOI4 mod.
>>
>>278395
why is anon posting a HoI 4 mod if we're talking about Empire at War?
>>
>>273442
I liked the Stargate mod.
>>
>>278396
They share the same abbreviation (and have very similar names)
EaW = Empire at War
EaW = Equestria at War
>>
>>278408
why would someone make a mlp mod for hoi4? Is it just a joke mod?
>>
>>278351
No it's just a vague feeling.
>>
>>278395
But I feel bad about abandoning loyal citizen of the Empire to those rebel terrorists.
>>
i have EaW on steam and i dont know if i need an unofficial patch from somewhere but it's kind of unstable for some reason. Especially if i alt-tab i have a high chance of shit crashing
Anyone else dealing with this?
>>
Do I really need to buy this shit again on Steam just for the mods?
>>
>>278441
Nah, it's unironically better than pretty much every single mod out there for Hoi4. Has a custom map and more content than Kaiserreich. And new voice acting and models.
>>
>>273453
>remember having fun, check moddb
>REQUIRES STEAM VERSION
>sigh
I know the workshop is great and all but fuck volvo for making it the only option FOR A GAME THAT PREDATES DIGITAL.
>>
>>278702
Steam got a legacy patch from the developers in recent years, which is pretty mutch the reason most mods are steam only. Some release non-steam versions as an afterthought. The non-steam version is unstable and requires gymnastics to run on modern systems.

Just buy the steam version on a sale or something.
>>
>>278572
Sacrifices have to be made. Just make sure to take out as many rebels as you can. With smart use of turrets and sufficient stormtrooper spam, a lot of your planets can hold out for some time and may even receive reinforcements from the main fleets before falling.

>>278737
The only downside is that the latest update made save times atrocious, especially with big mods like Thrawn's Revenge. It's not fun taking 5 minutes to save my game, especially when you have to turn off autosave so you don't deal with that every battle.
I honestly prefer making 3-4 save files as backups in case one of them gets corrupted more than the current system.
>>
>>274163
I love space battles, but dislike the ground battles
tfw unironically a kid who just wants big ships to go pew pew against each other
>>
>>278599
is it one of those autistic passion projects, that look pathetic because of the theme but are amazingly deep and complex?
>>
>>279296
Well, not yet, but it's far better than the other typical autistic political fanboy projects HoI4 shits out.

Unlike Empire at War, which is a proper autistic masterpiece in development longer than HoI4 has been in existence
>>
>>278737
>The non-steam version is unstable and requires gymnastics to run on modern systems.

>run in compatibility mode
>it's fine
Sure it's not obvious and you need to google it but it's not like Fallout or Deus Ex where you need a mod or to edit an ini.
>>
>>274439
>>274443
Alright you convinced me. Picked up the steam version on sale and am downloading the mod now. Which factions are easiest to get the hang of the mod? Should I just stick with the vanilla ones or try something newer?
>>
>>279296
It was made by a Russian Conscript and his international cabal of horse fucking friends.
It's very nice, but it's still just HoI 4.
>>
>>274439
I'm enjoying the mod so far, but it adjusted the camera angle in space battles and its giving me a huge headache with how impossible it is to see properly. Is there any way to move it back?
>>
>>280149
Imperial Factions are easiest, the indicators in the campaign menu are correct. Pentastar Alignment is probably the easiest faction to get the hang out of things, a simple Imperial faction with a good position, varied roster and no complicated mechanics yet.
>>281007
Had to check in game:
Hold control, hold middle mouse button. This allows you to freely change the space camera angle with your mouse
>>
To people interested in the mod idea, the game dev just started a playthrough with an early test version of 3.0. Of Thrawn's revenge, to show what they're working on:

https://youtu.be/xOfrQwWPWCo
>>
>>283683
>even more bloat and feature creep
Why do these losers spend decades on one thing instead of finishing it and calling it quits? This is why they'll never be real game devs.
>>
>>283738
I like what they're doing, the new command staff system where you can pick and choose commanders looks like a lot of fun.
And, thanks to Patreon, they get paid for this now. They get to both turn EAW into a great game it never dreamt about being, and they get money to do it full time. Aaaand it's fun as hell to play while being free. Win-win-win.
>>
>>283758
>thanks to Patreon, they get paid for this now
lol
>>
>>283773
Hey if there's losers out there willing to pay for a free mod, can't blame the devs for choosing to focus on their passion project and living off nerd bucks.
>>
>>283672
Holy fuck, this is a godsend. I didn't see that listed on the control list for some reason. Also interesting, I kept trying the empire and rebellion and getting btfo. Any tips for the galactic conquest maps?
>>
>>284707
Always rember to build the mines/tax buildings on planets with high income, along with trade posts. Economy is important. You wannamax it out pretty early on.

As the Empire you want to consolidate and fortify the core. They're good, rich planets, good for economy building. Build defences on choke point planets, don't worry if some planets outside the core get taken. You bunker up in the core, get the best economy you can and build fleets. Do note that as Eras change, the Empire will eventually lose access to building some bigger ships like SSD's and Tectors, getting instead access to more smaller ships and new starfighters. Build big stuff early cause you might not be able to later.
>>
>>284707
>>284764
As New Republic, you start with disconnected planets, but at leastyou have some good commanders and Fleets. IMHO the best thing to do is consolidate the main fleets that start around Mon Cala and Endor/Bespin and use them to consolidate the south of the Galaxy and knock out Eriadu Authority. With the Endor/Bespin fleet you want to first go and unencircle Sullust (good planet, high income, can build Subpro building that makes some good early game ships faster and cheaper to build there), then fight the Eradu Authority on their land and try to expand. Meanwhile the Mon Cala fleet should go down to Kessel/Honoghr, then the independent planets around Nal Hutta and get those. That willnet you a bunch of high income planets and connect you with the Bothawui pocket, where your capital and a bunch of ships also is (also when you're influence on Bothawui is maxed you get cool research). At this point both fleets should be able to focus on Eriadu authority and connect your holdings.

Meanwhile, the CSS and/or Zhinj will probably keep attacking you at Hast. Hast is a good planet and starts with really good planetary defences, give it some more defensive ships and you should be able to hold it against anything that's not an SSD.

Remember to build the Mon Calamari corpo building so Mon Cala ships are cheaper and faster to build there. You want that planet to produce mc 80b's en masse cause it's your best ship until era 3. Don't build the Rendili Star Drive building there, you can get it on Sluis Van instead once you get it from Eriadu Authority. Get people like Mon Mothma that make building cheaper on planets that don't have corpo buildings, the discounts don't stack.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.