[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 15 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I wanna give this game a try. Is there a website or client that I can use to play online?
>>
>>272329
You mean you wanna give it a Go
>>
>>272329
Wouldn't /tg/ be a better board than this?
>>
>>272329
https://online-go.com/ is the most accessible for beginners, the other western server is kgs with its java client from the last century (arguably better community though). Than there are the asian servers, which have way more players. Tygem (korea) Pandanet (japan) and Fox weiqi (china).
>>272607
/tg/ Only cares about their faggy social roleplaying.
>>
>>272595
Go away.
>>
>>272854
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>272595
ayyyy
>>
File: nice.gif (1.99 MB, 320x240)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
>>272595
>>
Old timer here. Use KGS for western public and Tygem for the eastern players. Have fun.
>>
This shit is too high IQ for me
>>
>>272982
why? it’s just stones bro haha
>>
>>272982
Its not that is high IQ, its mostly that you need to absorb a lot of ideas that aren't present in other games to be able to make a plan in this game, you just can't learn "oh this a good move" without the context of the rest of the board, you need to learn to evaluate the entire board position to make a move

Its an amazing game, it never has gone stale for me and i have been playing for some years, my main issue with the game is the loneliness that comes out of it, i wish i could show or let someone understand the excitement i get out of some games, it used to be better when i played over the board, over the internet its too lonely
>>
>>273065
If the mods aren't too anal we could start a vstgl. /tg/ only cares about cat girls and demon futas.
>>
File: 1605592713254.jpg (141 KB, 878x640)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>273138
I suspect that there's an old Japanese game somewhere that features catgirls playing strip Go. Just like that strip Mahjong game. I'd be actually disappointed if such thing doesn't exist.
>>
>>273142
It definitely doesn't. But there is a HnG game.
>>
File: what.png (608 KB, 1360x956)
608 KB
608 KB PNG
I already feel like a huge fucking brainlet.
>>
>>273171
Ko for life. Reading moves is 90÷ of Go ability.
>>
>>273171
"Ko" is like a glitch in the game. It's a little tricky to understand at first but it makes a lot of sense once you get the hang of it. Until recently, computers were notorious for not understanding a ko

If you play chess, think of it like a repetition situation where the best move for both players is to repeat the same moves. In Chess, a repetition leads to a draw. In Go, the game avoids a draw by adding a rule that players aren't allowed to repeat a position.

This forces both players to play elsewhere on the board before continuing fighting over the ko. Best way to understand ko is just to look at example games.
>>
>>273171
I think thats a little too advanced to start to be honest, start with cho chikun exercises if you want to do L&D

https://online-go.com/puzzle/2824
Here is the pdf form https://tsumego.tasuki.org/

If you want something that starts from the beginning, do these

https://online-go.com/puzzle/2313
https://online-go.com/puzzle/15438

mark5000 is for people who has done games before and want some intermediate stuff
>>
>>273171
>>273214
I think aside from the first ~50 problems the "elementary" Cho Chikun collection is actually around 10 kyu+ level, not really for completely new players.

Maybe try some of the collections marked 1 and 2 star from here.
https://tsumego-hero.com/sets
>>
>>273224
The whole Chikun set of problems is in context of advanced go players. Advanced problems are high level dan. Low level are one second solve-on-sight.
>>
>>273211
I already learned what Ko is. My head is spinning that I need to integrate it as a "foregone conclusion" of sorts in my strategy.
>>
>>273224

Yeah i was actually looking at some of those and they must be really hard for new players, but cho chikun first books were very helpful to have a instinct for reading, for example the ones related to the opening werent actually puzzles at all, as the solution was up to debate or not really worth considering at that skill level, some of those puzzles make it seem counting liberties is something you do extremely meticulous meanwhile you mostly just read the actual problem (for example in a capturing race as sometimes certain moves can mislead you into thinking you are safe) or instinctively know when there are groups in danger because of certain shapes

I think the hardest part of Go is at the beginning when you can't read at all, once you pick up reading moves learning the game becomes easier as you have a lot of material to go with, the advice of lessons in the fundamentals of go of reading the entire ladder even you know it doesn't work is actually good advice, you need that visualization skill

Myself I started learning the game through Learn to play Go series from Janice Kim, she actually made very good books for beginners i would say, much more engaging and easier to digest than other similar material
>>
>>273238
Man the road to playing and understanding go is a long one. Read fundamentals of go by Kageyama to get some perspective.
>>
File: 20130403go9dan-wgl-1.jpg (35 KB, 640x480)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
The game of go is a case of impressive consistency, its literally called the "surrounding game", and on its smallest scale its about surrounding some stones to capture it (its only fundamental law) and it evolves in a grand scale of surrounding your opponent groups while avoiding to get surrounded yourself, all while trying to cut your opponent to make it easier to surround while avoiding to being cut yourself, its amazing

I think if you want to learn go you first need to get in love with the game and its depth, maybe look at some old game reviews that can show you how beautiful is the game when played with people that can plan ahead in the game, how many times can you find a game thats microcosm is the same as its macro? as above so below, literally in the game laws, the point of the game just is what it is, its strategy doesnt need awkward parameters or weird limitations, its just internal flow.

I think this video represents some of the ideas, a heat map shows influence in the game, which is kinda expanding your possibilities in a place while limiting the possibilities of your opponent, all while trying to connect your groups or surrounding your opponent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGDQccLdZWc
>>
>>273283

I have this weird idea where life flows from a singular unthinkable idea, forming several shapes along the universe, and in go i get the same feeling, you have this idea, surrounding and control (which is extremely important in strategy and decision making), and from that very idea you get so many patterns that can help you understand the end goal, but you never quite get the solution, however the idea is always there, like some kind of volition or will shaping the board or in the case of life shaping the universe, so amazing, shapes are literally the clues where you can track the will or infinite idea trying to develop itself
>>
File: shitsu.png (56 KB, 491x585)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>273283
>Find young Chinese go genius.
>Adopt him.
>Give him the name "Go"
Do Japanese people really?
>>
>>273307
>u maek meme move?
>here, u hav meme name!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME0SQK_5BNY
>>
>>273352
That game is amazing, here is also another review from an asian so you get the immersion of a convoluted explanation because the language barrier, also the channel is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-lwNzN0G0
>>
>>272329
the best part about playing online is sinking 30-45 minutes into a quick game and then realizing that your opponent is a retard who has no fucking clue how to score points or recognize dead territory and it's going to be another 15 minutes of explaining to him how to play the damn game after the fact so he will recognize his dead stones as dead and you can move onto the actual scoring and finish the fucking game.
>>
>>273770
literally never happens above 10 kyu
>>
>>273820
Yeah, but sometimes they are salty and intentionally play stones on the board until there's literally no legal move left.
For example, on fox you can only pass 3 times, so sometimes they assume westerners don't know about the autoscore button, and try to scam you into losing on time that way.
>>
>>273889
Two different culture groups, and yet cheesers never change...
>>
Bump to not let the yearly go thread die.
>Tfw misclick the joseki and somehow end up ahead.
>>
>>278076
4 should be played a 5 always, you're giving white free efficient shape instead of taking his liberties.
>>
>>278195
Hmm, I'd understand if the white p4 stone wasn't there, but if I block this way it looks like white will end up with a ponnuki, and become basically unthreatenable. At least this was my thought process during that game.
>>
>>278278
If you block at 5 you gain sente
White could have played honte capturing a single stone and then gain sente elsewhere winning the ponnuki anyway
Your D3 stone makes the bottom pretty much uninteresting for both sides, white is trying to settle up quick, if you stop at 5 with 4 he can either cut inside or outside, if he cuts inside you get a really nice wall by giving up the corner, if he cuts outside you connect and then win sente which is huge if the rest of the board is unsettled
>>
>>278365
the issue with dropping with 4 is that if the group at 1-3-5 of white gets strong he can counter attack by playing 20 himself, 6 is kinda an overplay in a sense, as white can hane and get a huge wall by threatening the corner or he capture the single stone and then play 20 himself or damage the lower left corner by threatening 6

obviously it comes around to how players play their stones so all these ideas may not work at all in a real game if you have another playstyle
>>
>>278076
The numbering on this is confusing me.
>>
File: Goban V2 v9.png (1.12 MB, 1518x773)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
I just need to find the right combination of metals that provides the classic sound
>>
>>280266
12 and 13 should be swapped, my bad.
>>
>>280484
You know there's software to record and replay kifu right?
https://senseis.xmp.net/?GoEditingPrograms
Seems like you were manually editing an image.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.