[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 97 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

YARI ASHIGARU
>>
File: pointy boi.png (30 KB, 128x236)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>266582
>hard counters everything by the power of a slightly longer pointy stick
Who needs pike and shot when longspear steamroll is an option?
>>
yari mejing
>SHINKEYO YUMEYO
>>
YARI SAMURAI
>>
>>266592
Not in multiplayer.
>>
File: 1 12.png (929 KB, 1350x1920)
929 KB
929 KB PNG
>>266582
>>
>>266661
yes in multiplayer. I fought off fots infantries with them
>>
SPEARREVY
>>
>>266743
cute
>>
>>266661
But I don't care about multiplayer.
>>
>>266791
>THE REAVY IS READY SIR
>>
>>266582

>shreds your upgraded samurai
>SHAMEFURU DISERPRAY
>>
In the history of total war there has never, ever been a stronger and more useful basic core unit. i love these fuckers so fucking much they are an absolute blast to play with.
>>
>>266582
Shogun 2 basegame was way too easy.
Build a regular army stack, with an archer army stack right behind, and whenver you fall on a Level 1/2 fort, send the archer stack in to basically reenact that final scene from 300.
>>
>>266803
what is the teuton doing
>>
File: ashigirl.jpg (190 KB, 600x825)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>266890
the man just wants Medieval 3 but he's stuck playing Shogun 2
>>
>>266743
>>266803

Heckin' cute and valid
>>
File: ashigaru.jpg (247 KB, 800x1200)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>266965
ashigaru waifus
>>
>>266592
>shreds you with archers
nothing personal
>>
>>266743
src pls
>>
>>266633
>superior training, armour, living standard and morale
>cannot do spear wall
why bother?
>>
>>267301
They're alright for intercepting enemy cavalry. They do have that sprint ability which lets them move quickly to charge them while they're distracted.
>>
>>267308
Who needs to intercept cavalry when you have spearwalls?
>>
>>266743
This reads like its written by some coping yari samurai
>>
>>267414
god bless the ai cav charging into spear walls, even when they try to flank I just turn the wall to face them
>>
>>267308
I think MrSmartDonkey said it best, and I'm paraphrasing, that sure in one out of ten situations Yari Samurai would be the preferred unit, but in the other nine situations you would want something else that is better or cheaper. Overall, it is one of the least cost effective units because every other unit you will field can do the equivalent or outperform Yari Samurai and Yari Samurai doesn't fill any unique niche. For their cost they are one of the worst choices you can make in Shogun 2, especially in the early game where every koku counts. Even if they aren't terrible in battle, they just aren't that great and you will have more success with other units.

>>267414
Whenever cavalry go for my flanks I rarely bother with spearwall since cavalry can just move around it, which has happened much to the dismay of my archers. I just have my yari ashigaru charge flanking cavalry down or set up a very long line to intercept the charge, their anti-cavalry bonus is still overpowered enough to not need spearwall to deal with most cavalry outside of hero units. That is before I get Naginata Warrior Monks which I usually keep in reserve for that final morale shock warcry, but they still do a pretty good job at dealing with flanking charges when the situation arises.

>>267573
Even better when the enemy general charges in to your spearwall while within range of your archers. The battle just fights itself.
>>
File: 1590787471699.png (103 KB, 288x254)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
How the fuck am I supposed to deal with archers, I can't send my cavalry to mow them down because the AI has yari samurai guarding them and when I send my archers behind my lines they're now out of range, pls help I have small brain
>>
>>266582
>>266592
Shogun 2 sucks

>no siege towers
>no ladders
>no battering rams
>siege weaponry is shit
>troop conflicts last mere seconds
>units are hard counters instead of merely having bonuses that make them slightly more effective, increasing rock-paper-scissor type gameplay
>multiplayer is locked behind a victory wall where you need to win battles to unlock units but more experienced players will walk all over you because they have more versatility with their wider array of options
>Campaign AI cheats out-right and more blatantly than any other AI I've ever seen, spawning more death-stacks the better you do
>all factions share every single identical unit just with slightly altered stats, even if you buy the DLC it only adds a couple unique units to specific few factions
>AI rarely ever surprises you and is worse than Rome 2's or Medieval 2's as it recycles the same strategies, buys the same units, and does so endlessly until you stomp them out
>campaign map is small, and they could've easily included factions from either mainland China, Korea, or the Mongols (which in the first game they even had an expansion called "Mongol Invasion")

Shogun 2 would be the worst Total War game, if it weren't for the fact that Attila and Britannia exist.
>>
>>267638
Look at this faggot. He probably still plays Medieval 2.
>>
>>267642
Look at this faggot, butthurt about the truth.
>>
>>267621
Cavalry is faster than infantry- flank, charge, withdraw. Tie up the yari guards with your own yari too
>>
>>267621
Focus all your archer units onto a single unit to create an opening in the enemy lines, then have one of your units slide in and separate them and cause havoc.
>>
>>267647
Look at this faggot, he replied.
>>
someone redpill me on worrior monks
in what regard are they better / worse than ashigaru and samurai?
What makes them stand out and how to use them best?
I want to start another playthrough and until now I never bothered with them.
also; are Naginatas just for holding the line under archer fire or do they have some other uses?
>>
>>267621
You seem a bit new so let me say that first learn to counter archers with archers before you try riskier maneuvers like cavalry. In simple terms for the early game this means having more archers than your enemy. If you aren't already doing so put them in loose formation before the arrows start flying. Archers on the ramparts of walls in siege battles have a bonus to reload speed, so don't directly engage them unless you are prepared to take heavy losses. Likewise if you are defending you want them there as long as possible but run them back once the enemy has scaled the walls and start to engage in melee.

Bow Ashigaru is most cost effective in the early game due to their size, but they have a slow reload speed so in defensive battles where the enemy is charging at you they will only do a small amount of their damage potential. If you are the attacker you can usually win the bow skirmish, even if you are outnumbered you can bait their archers one or two at a time and focus them down.

When you have the range advantage the enemy will charge you(unless they are defending a siege), so this is the point where you run your bow units behind your spearwall and watch the enemy impale themselves.

Once you have played a dozen of these simple Yari and Bow Ashigaru battles, you should be comfortable enough with the basic strategy to use it as the foundation for your army while incorporating and learning to use other types of units like cavalry.
>>
>>267730
>someone redpill me on worrior monks
For Naginata Worrior Monks, even though their stats are very good they might not seem worth their price given their smaller unit size compared to Samurai. However, their Warcry ability is what makes them worth the trouble and cost, which slows down and reduces melee defense for up to four nearby enemy units, which can make significant impact on a battle if used correctly at the right time. They have very low armour though, so they are weak to enemy archer fire, so it is highly recommended to keep them outside of archer fire range. It is best to recruit them from a province with an Armoury and Master Armourer for that +5 armour bonus which negates that arrow fire weakness and makes them a pretty solid all round unit.

For Bow Worrior Monks, what sets them apart is their increased range which allows them to fire at other archers without getting fired at themselves. They have a very high reload rate and accuracy, giving them a very high damage output despite their small numbers, a few of them can easily take out a general that strays within their range in a few volleys. In addition they have Whistling Arrows which causes a morale penalty for all units the arrows fly over or hit, which like Warcry when used at the right time can trigger a mass rout in the enemy assuming your own morale is higher. Like the Naginata Worrior Monks they have the same low armour, but since they outrange other archers it is usually better to recruit them from a province with a Master Bowmaker for that +20 accuracy, but I still prefer getting an Armoury for them instead of a Hunting Lodge since that +2 armour is relatively worth more than the +5 accuracy.
>>
>>267730
>also; are Naginatas just for holding the line under archer fire or do they have some other uses?
I'm assuming you mean Naginata Samurai, and the best way to think of them is as the infantry version of a tank. They are slow due to their high armour, but can take a lot of arrow fire. They have good melee stats and can hold their own against most other infantry, but are a slight disadvantage against sword infantry. They have a bonus vs cavalry which also mean cavalry will want to stay away. So in essence, they aren't the stronger in terms of dealing damage, but they are one of strongest when it comes to taking damage while dealing a fair amount. The best way to use them would be in a similar role to your Yari Ashigaru, holding the center front line and taking the hits, but being able to hold out a very long time doing so. Unlike Yari Ashigaru they can survive extended arrow fire while holding the front line though, so I guess that is their niche if I had to place it.
>>
>>267301
Because they can tank six cavalry charges and come out on top when upgraded.
>>266763
Prove it.
>>
File: 1592960332476.jpg (235 KB, 1055x1500)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>267196
A Private Story on Third Street
The author's other manga is good too
https://mangadex.org/title/44404/a-private-story-on-third-street
https://mangadex.org/title/43354/the-dragon-the-hero-and-the-courier
>>
>>267794
>Because they can tank six cavalry charges and come out on top when upgraded.
How many cavalry charges can two Yari Ashigaru units in spearwall(that cost the same as one Yari Samurai) tank?
>>
>>267730
Don’t bother with them, convert to Christianity and build nanban trade ships and instantly win naval forever
>>
I know you're in here Johan, I just want to say the last video was shit.
>>
>>267802
None if your opponent knows how to flank properly.
>>
>>267638
Take a look at this tard.
i know you are a shit eating noob because no decent total war player ever complained about the difficulty of the games, since they are all fucking easy beside attila and shogun 2.
>>
People get more Samurai than a max of 4 yari cav per army?
Why?
>>
>>268210
Because they don't understand the power of angry, unwashed masses of paesants armed with pointy pitchforks and thunder sticks.
>>
>>268213
>Muskets
I just get a ratio of 4-5-10~ cav spears and archers
>>
>>268217
i always use two units of musket ashigaru on the flanks in conjuction with cavalry. you can get some real money shot if you can target the enemy flank while they are engaged. and they are better than bow in sieges, especially defensive :)
>>
>>267916
did that. now I regret it because naval battles are just boring
>enemy outnumbers us 10 to 1
>then it is an ev- no, wait. still not an even fight.

>>267771
>>267779
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
>>
File: yari ashigaru.jpg (71 KB, 1266x688)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>
>>268218
>better than bows on sieges
Yeah, totally. When put on battlements they get a reload bonus and can absolutely shred everything
But their full potential is revealed when you pull them to second line and leave your ashigaru to hold the line on the lower level. Then it is just slaughter

>especially defensive
>especially
wh- wait. what?
are you implying that muskets, while extremely potent on defence are actually usefull in castle attack?
Or even worse, they are better at attacking castles than archers!?
>>
>>267638
based
>>
>>268309
>muskets suck at assaults
This is such a weird game design choice. Historically the Japanese loved used muskets during sieges.
>>
>>268369
Historically you would be able to build a trench or a creeping barricade as you get closer to the walls to level the playing field
Historically your arches shouldn't be able to accurately target enemies inside the castle walls.
Historically a fortified gatehouse is a little bigger problem for an attacker. One that cannot be solved with just a couple of torches.

From gameplay perspective; no, muskets suck at fort attack. The only thing they can do is shoot archers on the battlements, but because they have no armour and shorter range, will suffer massive casualties while doing so.
They cannot attack meele infantry inside the castle and they are useless when actually storming the keep, as the are inside is too crowded for them to for a rank and fire, without hitting friendlies in the backs.
That's why I always keep 3 armies:
cannons and bows for castle sieges
cavlary, archers, muskets and pikes for field battles
muskets, some archers, more muskets and pikes to defend forts.
>>
>>268369
>Historically
Applying historical accuracy to Shogun 2 will make you an autist who is turned off by the game the more you learn. Best not to think about that too much unless you are playing a mod like EB where historical accuracy is more attainable.

t. autist
>>
>>268301
That’s the point, naval battle in TW have never been fun, so it’s better to make them routine and easy to win.
>>
>>268639
nanban trade ships make it worth it
god I love Otomo
>>
>>268871
and Otomo sure love God.

I just find it silly how kobayas can withstand several slavos from a Black Ship without sinking and how little crew damage the cannons do.
Seriously, the only time I ever see a ship sinking is when they hit a mine or two.
>>
>>268893
Superior Japanese Wood folded 1000 times
>>
Is there a mod that makes European cannons not completely worthless?
>>
>>268988
Install FoTS
>>
File: 1598143598358.jpg (17 KB, 400x400)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>there are actual human beings from the same species as you that actually play shogun 2 naval battles
>>
>>269363
I do it because I am playing Otomo legendary and auto resolve keeps thinking that my ships can't just decimate the enemies. Also a good argument as to why I'm never playing Otomo again, it's pure aids.
>>
You can win every S2 campaign without building (more than) a single ship. Navies are completely irrelevant.
>>
>>266582
>dude just use stacks full of yari ashigaru lmao
>get decimated by basically all other units
Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>269876
>use stacks full of yari ashigaru
It seems quite familiar to the strategy of using stack of spearman's to easily win all auto-resolves.
>>
>>269363
I just don't want the unnecessary repair costs for the battles I can win without losses.
That, and occasional surprise attack when enemy has a statistical advantage and I need to fuck them up manually.
>would 1v1 a med bune with a bow kobaya again
>>
>>269363
they're pretty. and watching your nanban trade ships shred those wooden castle ships is fun.
>>
>>269363
yes, theyre fun
>>
>>269363
Well yeah, not because they’re fun, but it’s more efficient that way. Naval upkeep is already a bitch withou autoresolve
>>
>>267621
Not an expert but what I do is "Sacrifice"" 1-2 Yari Ashigaru and close the gap to make them stop and then engage with other units behind

Peasant lives don't matter.
>>
>>269850
t. kokulet
>>
>>268205
Same can be said for Yari Samurai.

>>269363
Sometimes if you want to capture all those Wako Trade Ships because you like the red sails and they would be perfect for your naval transport network because of their low upkeep you just have to fight the battles yourself or the auto-resolve will destroy them all.

>>269876
YA are most cost-effective in spearwall formation since it buffs them, and spearwall is most effective when the enemy charges into it. I have read somewhere that charging your own spearwalled unit negates some of the spearwall bonus, but walking/marching them into the enemy unit doesn't. If I recall it has something to do with keeping the formation while marching but breaking it when charging.

Remember that while YA in spearwall is very strong in one direction, the front, they are very weak to flanking attacks and arrow fire. You are essentially relying on your large number to create a wall so long the enemy can't flank around it, while you can use your wall to encircle them and attack from all sides at once, although in practice usually the battle would only last until a partial encirclement since YA move slow.

If you are going for the full YA spam, the basic strategy you want to follow is to pin the enemy down with a line of spearwalls in the center(about three to four ranks deep), then send your extra YA to circle around and attack the flanks and rear of your enemy in a hammer and anvil style. Essentially you are surrounding them with number and taking advantage of the flanking bonuses, and by engaging archers in melee before they fire off most of their arrows you reduce their effectiveness greatly.

The weakness of this strategy is that your center could collapse before your other units can circle around. The best way to prevent this is to send out the flanking units ahead to the sides and rear before the battle commences if time allows and to keep two or three YA as reserves behind the center to bolster any weakening spots in your line.
>>
>>272668
Oh wow I can see why people praise Shogun 2 so much. Truly it offers the most thought-out battle experience of any total war.
>>
>>272740
Shoot me but i think Napoleon is very good as well.
But yeah, Shogun 2 is by far the best :D
>>
>>272668
Wako trade ships are functionally identical to regular trade ships, including the upkeep.

speaking of traders, why would anyone bother with Red Seal Ships?
Do they provide more goods per ship than normal trader or is their whole gimmick just "not sucking as much at combat" ?
>>
>>272740
The YA spam strategy isn't without its disadvantages:

YA have low morale, usually the general's influence sphere gives them a small buff to compensate, but if your YA line stretches too long, those flanks don't get this buff and are weak to morale shocks. There is also a 20 unit stack limit, so while you can bring your 40 YA to battle in two stacks, you will have to wait for the other 20 to enter from the edge of the map, tiring them out and giving the enemy a chance to engage you while you don't have your numbers advantage or formation. These reinforcing units will also take longer to circle around, and will probably be exhausted by the time they get into combat, reducing their stats and effectiveness. If you are attacking then the opponent could also camp out a hill with barriers giving them the hill advantage and reducing encirclement advantage, and if they have archers those archers will have a lot of time to fire their arrows onto arrow-vulnerable-spearwalled units. You can also get ambushed or attacked at night removing reinforcements and hence most of the numbers advantage, and attacking castles with only YA is just begging for heavy losses and defeat if it is defended decently.

You can avoid some of these problems using auto-resolve when spamming, but why even play if you skip out on the battlefield aspect of the game? The YA spam strategy is basically just something you do in the early game while most stacks are well below 20 and while you are still growing your economy, and even then I would still recommend you have four or five Bow Ashigaru per stack regardless since that makes your army more balanced and stronger overall.

Basically YA are economically efficient, and that goes for the AI too, but become unwieldy and lose some of their advantages in larger numbers, which is why you would want to start recruiting higher tier units.
>>
>>272832
>why would anyone bother with Red Seal Ships
I haven't had a chance to use any of them yet but looking at their stats they seem to be significantly stronger than trade ships for the same upkeep, so they could fend off small pirate fleets on their own meaning you won't need as big an upkeep requiring escort to defend them. This makes them indirectly more profitable per turn but at that stage of the game it probably will be too late to see a good return on that investment. But if you lose a trade fleet might as well replace them with Red Seal Ships.
>>
>>272740
It’s a way to play, not the only way faggot
>>
>>272844
Also, why would anyone bother with unlocking the naval technology when bomb and bow kobayas are all you will ever need?
>>
File: ASHIGARU!.jpg (519 KB, 1266x688)
519 KB
519 KB JPG
is this the Ashigaru/Peasant supremacy thread?
>>
File: ASHIGIRL!.jpg (247 KB, 755x1058)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>
File: ASHIGARU!.jpg (188 KB, 960x720)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>
File: ASHIGARU!.png (341 KB, 500x410)
341 KB
341 KB PNG
>>
File: ASHIGIRL!.jpg (134 KB, 755x1200)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>
File: ASHIGARU!.png (974 KB, 1807x2089)
974 KB
974 KB PNG
>>
>>274020
Is top left wearing spats?
>>
>>266743
>>266803
>>266973
>>267798
>>274013
>>274020
>tfw no cute ashigaru gf
why live bros
>>
>>272668
>Same can be said for Yari Samurai.
No, it can't. A sufficiently upgraded unit of Yari Samurai will completely massacre cavalry no matter which direction they attack from. The only exception would probably be generals with the upgrade that nullifies anti-cav bonuses.
>>
File: matchlock ashigaru.jpg (194 KB, 1000x1266)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>274140
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa7Ub5flgmg
>>
>>274184
Ashi girl got an adaptation?
>>
File: restart.jpg (574 KB, 1920x1080)
574 KB
574 KB JPG
>>269850
*navally invades you in your undefended provinces*
>>
>>268988
sekigahara mod features mortars and mobile cannons, but they're still kinda shit and not really worth it outside sieges
>>
>>266633
>>267301
I still believe AC forgot to give them spearwall
>>
>>268893
they nerfed cannons for whatever reason
>>
>>275187
*uses second army bought with the money not wasted on ships to defend*
>>
>>275242
are you planning to garrison every single coastal province in your rear? I'm playing FOTS without ships and it's much more stressful, even though for now the AI always attacks the same 2 provinces for some reason, but if I was the AI I'd easily kill a shipless player
>>
>>274152
So I have done some testing just to see and while I admit Yari Samurai are stronger against cavalry(yari and katana) when attacked from behind than I initially thought, they only performed marginally better than naginata samurai under the same test, surviving with 90 units for the YS instead of 80 for the NS. This is with the enemy cavalry getting off three charges while I maintain the unit to face the other way. In a different test I managed to rout a YS with just three charge to the rear.

At least for the single player campaign, the edge YS have is mostly not worth it when you consider that if you play correctly you shouldn't get flanked unless outnumbered significantly. For the same price as three cavalry you can field four YS or eight YA, to put things in perspective. With eight YA you can maintain a spearwall with four of them, while using the other four to protect your flanks from cavalry and in turn flank around them. Including YS for the same upkeep cost would significantly reduce your ability to control your enemies movement and allow them opportunities to flank you, which is ironic when you boast about YS being better able to deal with being flanked.

The main reason people look down on YS in single player is because while they are very strong or the strongest at one thing, dealing with cavalry, that particular niche has many cheaper and yet comparable competitors that are more versatile in other situations, making YS the kind of unit that simply isn't cost effective overall when most of what you end up fighting is infantry, not cavalry.

If you employ basic strategies and tactics you will rarely encounter a battle where the unique strength of YS is what pulls you through to the end. Others units give you more options for victory, however.

Even in multiplayer if I were to face off against a cavalry only army I would still prefer a good YA core since their spearwall has a indirect negation of their mobility, while having a few YS on the flanks.
>>
>>267638
>multiplayer is locked behind a victory wall where you need to win battles to unlock units but more experienced players will walk all over you because they have more versatility with their wider array of options
COULD YOU NOT FIND ONE FRIEND TO HELP YOU GRIND AAAHAHAHHA? use a little creativity give me a break man, COME ON MAN
>>
YARI ASHIGARU NI GOZAIMASU
I wish I could understand what these funny little characters were saying half the time with their action responses but I can't speak moon runs
some general subtitles would have been nice
>>
>>275485
>I wish I could understand what these funny little characters were saying half the time with their action responses but I can't speak moon runs
Neither did CA. You had some funny quotes like the general screaming "Fall back!" at the top of his lungs when you order a charge, or "Move at a speed multiplied by 2!" (Google Translate-ish "Double time!") when you order them to run. These only got patched out later.

But yeah, it beats having to listen to mangled English by a landslide. Same with 3K where they do give you a Mandarin option, but it also switches the announcer voice and the soldiers don't shout over each other, just do the whole "Prepared! Forward! Retreat! March!"... with an added "Hoo-ah!" by the folks.
Shogun did it best, even if it fucked up in the background.
>>
>>267301
I think the idea is that samurai were all about MUH HONORABU WAN ON WAN COMBAT
while the ashigaru had no such notions and fought in formation
>>
>>275376
I was referring to Avatar Conquest where Yari Samurai can get some insane buffs. In singleplayer I wholeheartedly agree that there's no real reason to recruit them because of how retarded the AI is.
>>
>>275627
apparenly troops had some really good lines and conversations but nobody could appreciate them because nobody could understand them
the few that were translated on the forums showed CA put soul into it like
>my sword is my only Lord
>has the god of death come?
>I DON'T BELIEVE IN THE USE OF CANNONS
>>
>>266582
>spam nothing but spearmanii to win
this is why historical total war is gay. fantasychads win again.
>>
>>276317
>spam spearmen in Shogun 2
>get shredded by OP as fuck archers
>>
>>275485
most of them are just your basic "[unit name] reporting!" or "[unit name] ready!" "[unit name] here!" etc
Some of them are funny like >>276293 said, as well as a few fucked up mistranslations. Not sure why the voice actors didn't point it out since they are native Japanese speakers, but oh well.
>>
>>276354
>Not sure why the voice actors didn't point it out since they are native Japanese speakers, but oh well.
Probably your typical case of video game translation nonsense. Imagine you're a VA and you get a note saying: "Commander shouts an order - TL text". Unless you're given the specific context of an attack, you won't know that you're adding a mistake like >>275627 in.
>>
>>276354
>Not sure why the voice actors didn't point it out since they are native Japanese speakers, but oh well.
Probably because they were just given a script with no context. Not like they saw how the lines were being used.
>>
>>266582
Is it ever worth trying to skirmish with the low range muskets or should I just try to shoot into the flanks? Lame how bows outrange the shit so much.
>>
>>276444
hide them in forest on a slope so they can shoot above your lines
>>
>>276449
I wish the terrain was always so permitting. Sometimes you get shafted with a wide open field.
>>
>>276454
it's not that common, especially in vanilla. FOTS seems to feature plains more often
>>
>>266582
>Can recruit as many Takeda Fire Cav as you want without any restrictions
>Only fucking FOUR bulletproof samurai can be recruited

What the fuck?
>>
Morale is the key to facing ashigaru spam.
>>
>>275266
a single doomstack can move to engage the landing force within a turn or 2 for the most part. but yes i agree that it's better to have a navy to intercept them . but god it gets annoying the ai only sends like 1 ship at a time
>>
>>276571
>a single doomstack can move to engage the landing force within a turn or 2 for the most part.
how? Many provinces are huge, you need to station a doomstack every 2 provinces at least
>>
>>276350
>doing yarigaru spam
>actually fighting battles instead of abusing autoresolve
Get a load of this dude.
>>
>>275217
They didn't forget, samurai didn't fight in formation and this is how they represented that in game, check their unit descriptions.
The thing is that yari samurai are meant to fulfill a different role (that of reserves and to intercept flanking maneuvers) but everyone kept assuming they're just a straight upgrade because that's how TW games tend to work.
>>
>>276444
do checkers formation.
put archers first, to skirmis with their archers
After a first volley of fire arrows, pull them back behind your spearwall
at this point enemy archers should focus your archers and ignore other units, while their meele army will enter charge mode and just rush your "exposed" matchlocks
Let them fire a volley or two and pull them between your spearwall and your archers
Leave gaps in between spear units, wide enough to allow fire, but not wide enough to let enemy formation get through.
Make sure your ashigaru are in spearwall mode to easily win any meele brawl.
reinforce where needed.

But matchlocks are still inferior in field battles. They truly shine in castle defences.
>>
>>269363
They're fun and the last instance of naval battles in TW that weren't a broken mess.
Rome 2's naval battles don't even work properly.
>>
>>268203
Link channel?
>>
>>276588
All TW naval battles are a total mess
>>
>>277318
s2 naval battles worked fine and fots was great in that regard. stop being a lily-livered coward and git gud
>>
>>277367
>s2 naval battles worked fine
I'm sure that FotS naval battles are genuinely good but naval battles in native are just retarded.
>>
>>267638
It's fun
So who cares?
>>
>>277413
They work fine if you use a Nanban tradeship.
>>
>>277318
naval battles are decent but holy shit the boarding mechanics are terrible
>>
>>277671
my favourite outcome of the boarding is the one I call French-Italian war:
>the crew that initiated boarding get's scared and routs.
>the crew that got boarded get's scared and surrenders.
>Battle ends with 1 deployed 1 remaining
>>
>>277636
He fell for Nanban meme
Bow Kobayas with fire arrows are the only thing you'll ever need.
>>
>>277674
the most annoying thing is that the AI is incapable of driving the ship close to the enemy one when you click board
>>
>>266582
kek you can win an entire game using just these fucks, they even win 1 v 1 against yari/katana samurai units when in shield wall.
>>
>>277743
>shield wall
>the one thing nobody in Japan ever used
>>
>>277367
fots ironclads were fun with how op they were, but the con in having to literally play every match so auto resolve wouldn't fuck you and how the British ironclad was uber expensive kinda evened it out.
>>
is the music hype in Shogun 2?
>>
>>277790
Yes
>>
>>272832
>>272844
I've used Red Seal Ships and they still suck at combat, their main thing is being "slightly harder to sink" but they're still essentially defenseless. Completely useless unit in the base-game.
>>
>>276517
That restriction always baffled me
>can recruit infinity portuguese tercos
>can recruit infinity heavy gunners
>can recruit infinity hand mortars
>there are only 320 suits of heavy armor in the whole of Japan

I think the Bulletproof Samurai are the only non-hero land-unit with a hard unit cap like that other than the Shogunal Guard, and the worst part is I haven't been able to find a mod that makes them unlimited without adding a bunch of other changes.
>>
>>278016
Didn't you know the entire population of Portugal came over to help the Otomo during the Sengoku Jidai, anon?
>>
>>278023
I missed that part in the history books, which is a weird oversight.
>>
>>278009
there is a mod on the workshop that changes some things with the naval units and it gives cannons to the red seal ships, considering that historically they did have cannons
>>
>>278033
The perfidious anglo doesn’t want to talk about the defeat of their greatest ally
>>
>>278348
name of the mod?
>>
File: 1495482484193.jpg (118 KB, 691x625)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>277636
>Nanban ship pulls aggro
>Enemy fleet homes in on it and ignores the rest of the fleet because the AI is retarded
>Bow kobaya line up along the cone and destroy anything in the killzone
>You are forced to play these battles because autocalc will either make you lose or suffer tremendous casualties
>People think this is fun
>>
>>276588
The only time they can be considered fun is if the enemy has a significant fleet of big ships and so do you.

All other instances are a chore, not a fun.
>play battle, because even against two kobays your nanbans will lose several men if you autoresolve
>wait for the loading screen
>click deploy
>group up your ships
>press start
>play at 4x speed
>turn your nanbans sideways
>watch the enemy ships suffer absolutely no damage from cannonballs because retarded mechanics
>watch them all surrender the moment they enter the musket range
>click end battle
>wait for the loading screen
>go through victory screen
>repeat several times per turn because AI just cannot take the hint that sending groups of 2 - 5 boats is never going to work.
>>
>>278460
That's the AI being retarded and it's gonna be like that regardless of the game, the gameplay itself is solid though it is better in FOTS, I'll admit.
>>
>>278413
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=352207894
>>
>>269363
Fall of the Samurai naval battles were pretty neat.
>>
>>270045
I have a thousand hours on this game and I played yet another campaign for that kino
>>
>Play as Oda
>Never need another unit
>>
>>279721
Unification of Japan in a nutshell
>>
Worth picking up the DLC for this one? All I got before was FotS.
>>
you reminded me i have this shogun game going i started a long time ago, trying to produce some warrior monks or something, killed some christians and kinda feel bad about it still could have just reasserted Buddhism after letting them have their fun
>>
>>280488
the additional units and the new clans are fun
>>
>>280488
Otomo DLC is really fun if you want to play with the power of Jesus and Portugal on your side.
Hattori if you want to annoy your enemy to death with ninjas.
Iko Ikki for swarming the enemy with angry angry peasants and monks.
I found the Dragon War mission pack for FotS pretty fun.
Rise of the Samurai is not really worth it imho. It’s probably the weakest of all DLC. Only worth it if you’re really into the Genpei era.
>>
>>279721
>Play as anyone
>Never need another unit
>>
>>280744
>play as Tokugawa
>never need any units at all and win entire game through ninja and metsuke spam
>>
>>280746
That's also every faction
>>
>>280752
Except Ikko Ikki since they can’t train metsuke.
>>
File: 1522971477894.gif (1.3 MB, 448x336)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB GIF
>Ikko Ikki religion malus.
>>
File: 1604943364203.jpg (4 KB, 199x183)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>give another clan 5000 gold, military access, my wife's son, my left nut and a declaration of war on their enemies in exchange for a military alliance
>they break it the next turn
>>
>>280876
same but with trade agreements
>>
File: frodo.jpg (45 KB, 600x599)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>280875
>Cities with a successful Ikko Ikki rebellion join your side if you're playing Ikko Ikki
>Cities with a successful Christian rebellion just become neutral if you're playing Otomo
Why? Is it because it's possible (though extremely unlikely) for other clans to convert to Christianity or something?
>>
>>280899
because the Ikko Ikki are the boss of the entire ikko ikki religion. Christian rebels won't submit to you just because you're christian
>>
looks like there is a sale right now, I'm going to buy Ikko Ikki and Hattori DLCs
>>
>>280920
>Christian rebels won't submit to you just because you're christian
Well, maybe they should
>>
>>280922
why? It's different from the Ikko Ikki since they're basically a religion themselves
>>
Alright who do I pick for good cav?
>>
File: christian_rebels.png (1.77 MB, 1152x528)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB PNG
>>280899
>>280922
The Otomo are just a Christian clan. They don't have any religious authority in Christendom. So Christian rebels don't have any reason to follow them any more than any other Christian ruler.
Ikko Ikki is basically a single religious movement.
>>
File: Takeda_Charge.jpg (330 KB, 1213x900)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
>>280899
>though extremely unlikely
I've seen smaller clans and even Shimazu convert to Christianity plenty of time. It's not that uncommon.
>>280934
Takeda
Ride them down!
>>
>>280936
>set up a random battle with not even that good odds for the enemy
>just all cav on my end because why not
>starts good
>then everything routs
Well that was not unexpected knowing my usual battles in these games. Should I replace the archers with just more Fire Cav?
>>
File: 2013-02-28_00001.jpg (330 KB, 1366x768)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
>>281006
You need a couple of ashigaru in your army even as Takeda. Mostly so they tie up the enemy from the front while your cav pounds them in the rear. Frontal charges aren't a good idea since you will be facing lots of spears at all time anyway.
>>
>>281016
wtf are those portraits
>>
>>281020
It's an old mod that adds lots of new art and portraits. I believe they're all from the Nobunaga's Ambition games.
https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?443297-Furinkazan-a-comprehensive-art-rework-(Works-in-MC!-6-15-Modpack-split-for-convenience)
>>
>>281016
Yeah I'm honestly just messing about. There was a fun enough way to make an all cav army in WH, but I suspect unless there's an all around horse archer like in that one that it's probably less of an option and that a more traditional anvil is needed.
>>
File: mounted_samurai.png (68 KB, 128x236)
68 KB
68 KB PNG
>>281027
>unless there's an all around horse archer
That's the Rise of the Samurai DLC. Samurai are just good at everything in that one.
>>
>>281036
Well I meant in the sense that they can shoot 360°, unless you meant that too. But that works too probably
>>
You think of katana kavalry like an APC packed with shock troops, when and where you need them, dismount them there and charge spear units with them, if spear cavalry on your ass, lead them into a forest, dismount and kill them there too.
>>
>>280488
Yeah I would say all of the DLC with the exception of the blood/dragon war dlc are essential. The new units for each clan do a lot to make them feel unique and the dlc clans are some of the best in the game IMO. Rise of the Samurai is okay, it’s not as good as the base game or FotS, but if you really want to try something new it’s worth a shot.
>>
>>281280
???
katana cav are for shredding ranged/routing units, yari cav are for hammer & anvils/anti-cav, light cav are for routs/bait
>>
So I noticed that compared to Warhammer, units in this seem to rout much faster, but also come back a lot more and die a lot slower.
I assume this means it's better and almost necessary to run down routed units than to just leave them to run?
>>
>>281695
you have to make them rout all at the same time and kill their general
>>
>>281702
Alright, will give that a go next time.
I just noticed that at times it can look like I'm winning, lots of enemy units routing, but then they get back and my dudes start running never to come back.
>>
>>281708
Like he said, you have to time your moves to ensure they all rout at the same time, killing their general asap or flanking their wings at the same time with cav is a good way to achieve that. There are many methods for shocking enemy morale, though, so see what works for you better. Morale overall is very low as you can see from the unit stats, so flanking maneuvers are much more decisive.
>>
>>281750
Ok, thanks. We'll see how well that works, but I guess I'll try and hammer and anvil my way through as usual.
>>
>>280922
The only way to ensure they submit to you is for you to get your daimyo also elected as pope.
>>
>>281769
It would’ve been interesting if missionaries had a bribe like mechanic against Christian rebels. Basically it would be an action where he tries to convince the rebels that your daimyo is doing God’s work and they should join you.
Or even better as a Christian daimyo you could send a one-time delegation to Rome for a metric load of money. Then after two or four years they come back and bring a papal legate with them. Dude would be like a super missionary who can take over Christian rebels settlements.
>>
>my units with kisho training are hidden in the woods
>the enemy immediately runs all their cavalry at them even if they're hidden

every fucking time
>>
File: 1598917707051.jpg (46 KB, 448x486)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
I've been playing this game too much. Last night I had a dream about it.
All I remember is that in the dream the Ikko-Ikki had somehow come back after I had wiped them out, and I was upset about it.
>>
is coop campaign fun or does it result in lots of frustration waiting for each other
>>
>>281947
Been a long while since I played co'op but iirc you can assign units for the other player to control in battle, which helps cut down on the wait.
>>
>>281947
I played coop probably eight years ago last time. It was fun though since playing with friends is fun. Not sure if that's still in but in coop the battle automatically ends when the entire enemy army routs. So you can't run down fleeing enemies.
>>
Any mod that speeds up the research but not too much? There is a 1 turn mod but frankly I think it's a bit excessive
>>
File: HarriotOil.jpg (54 KB, 594x412)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>That point int he game where you finally get Uesugi Warrior Monks with Golden Armour
>Make a whole doomstack of 50% archers and 50% Naginata
>That satisfying sound when your archers fire a machinegun-like volley of flaming arrows and rip through like a third of the enemy forces at once
>Watching your forces get ever more experienced as they rip through enemy stacks one after the other with almost no casualties

All the strategy has effectively vanished at that point and it's just a crubstomp, but God is it ever satisfying to trample on motherfuckers after all the early game panicking needed to survive as Uesugi in harder difficulties
>>
>>281634
They are samurai retainers that you can strategically place anywhere on the map, on dismount they are 100% stamina fresh vs a unit that tired itself chasing you.
>>
how important is accuracy? How does the numbers work there?
>>
File: wakou.jpg (1012 KB, 1920x1080)
1012 KB
1012 KB JPG
man I love these guys
>>
>>280899
I think it's better that way
I wanted to be able to enjoy the Ikko special units and bonuses but all I had to do is spam religious unrest and the entire center of the map was mine within 20 turns
>>
>>283433
Compare bow ashigaru to bow warrior monks if you want to know. Or if you are trying out guns then look at matchlock ashigaru versus Tercos.
>>
>>283737
So, samurai who you can deploy anywhere?
seems cool. I may try Mori on my next playthrough.
>>
>>283433
>how important
Very. If you want something more than yumi ashigaru, then You'd better buy them in province with hunting lodge and master bowmaker for those sweet extra 25 acc.
I usually skip worrior monks and go straight for the gunpowder units, even going as far as to rebuild a nanban port there, to get those imported matchlocks to be the best they can.

>how the numbers work.
can't really give you a precise formula, but just know that "bigger number = better"
>>
How many rows should I set archers for maximum dps or is there a max number of archers per volley?
>>
>>284525
they all shoot at the same time of they are in range
>>
>>284393
>>284328
I feel like reload speed is more important than accuracy when comparing basic units with elite
>>
>>284393
I've never found matchlocks to be that great in pitched battles, especially on the offensive.
I always spend a lot of time getting them set up and in the right position so they can fire effectively, and during that time a bow warrior monk can kill a LOT more people.
>>
What are the best vanilla enhancement mods out there? Most of them seem like they add either too much unbalanced stuff or ruin the aesthetics of the base game.
>>
>>285904
Jaki's Unique Factions
Vastator unit style
Strongholds of the samurai
>>
File: sots.jpg (570 KB, 1920x1080)
570 KB
570 KB JPG
Strongholds is well made but the sieges are much more chaotic and you can't really manuever units inside walls, and you can't even deploy units outside the castle which sucks
>>
File: 1398895157276.gif (2.95 MB, 360x360)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB GIF
>>286016
>Making castles realistic without any proper siege equipment
>>
>>286109
What siege equipment do you really need?
>gates can be destroyed by any unit
>walls, gatehouses and towers can be destroyed by any archer unit
>every wall is scaleable by literally any unit
>moats do nothing
>towers do little to nothing
>meele units manning the walls do nothing and are even at a disadvantage because apparently climbing over the wall counts as a charge
>>
>>285674
matchlocks value increases the more defensive you are.
They are shit in sieges, poor in field offensive, decent at field defense and exceptional at castle defense.
Just remember to put them behind your archers, so that the first volleys are traded between the bows.
>>
>>286766
>>walls, gatehouses and towers can be destroyed by any archer unit
what?
>>
>>286785
Fire arrows
>>
>>286788
wtf I never knew about this all this time. Well I almost never do offensive sieges
>>
>>286785
fire arrows.
depending on a wall level, you need just one to three units of bow ashigaru to set them on fire.
>>
>>286766
Exactly, the fact that people defend this is embarrassing. Single player sieges can never be spectacle because it's just repelling insects mindlessly rushing towards the center. At least guns feel amazing during a siege but only the first rank can fire for some idiotic reason
>>
>>284787
I was retarded then, I set up two row long lines, thinking it would make more archers shoot all this time.
>>
>>266743
What is she doing with her hand down there?
>>
>>287296
That can be helpful when the enemy is so close that they do direct fire.
But for longer ranges you can safely form them in squares.
Matchlocks on the other hand work best when spread out as much as possible, because seconds rows cannot shoot over the shoulders of the first ones.
And no, fire by rank does not help. You're better off just spreading them out.
>>
>>286766
>>meele units manning the walls do nothing and are even at a disadvantage because apparently climbing over the wall counts as a charge
What the fuck
>>
>>286766
>meele units manning the walls do nothing and are even at a disadvantage because apparently climbing over the wall counts as a charge
the guys climbing up the wall just had a good workout and are ready to go while the guys defending have been sitting there just eating rice cakes and jerking off to hentai
>>
>>287377
You'd expect the guy standing on top of the wall to be chopping off any hands that show up grabbing the ledge, pushing off climbers with his long stick or even use the fact that the other dude must first pull himself up before being able to do anything to, IDK, stab him or something.
But no.
They just stand there and watch as enemy samurai jump over, draws his katana and then, surprise surprise,everyone is knocked back and one of them get's impaled by the "charging" samurai.
It's such a bullshit and one of the reasons why Date are so strong in siege attacks.
>>
>>287502
this is why you put a spear wall right in front of the climbing spot
>>
>>287549
If you do it in front of outermost walls, they'll get shredded by archers.
But when placed on the first level and higher, they can stop pretty much anything, especially if you fill the walls behind them with matchlocks.
>>
>>266582
I've recently picked up Shogun 2 and started playing my first campaign after doing the tutorials (my first TW, pls be gentle).

But I've noticed that in no battle, either siege or field, are there any capturable structures that were present in the tutorial siege mission (the farm, archer dojo and temple)

Is there something like that in the game or was it cut out function? Is there a mod that adds it?
>>
>>267642
yes.
>>
>>287601
Optional capture points are a feature in multiplayer maps, never single player. If you want to see them in singleplayer though then you should look at what map mods are available.
>>
>>287601
>>287649
I remember buildings in SP maps but maybe it was due to the Strongholds of the Samurai mod. But that mod should only change sieges
>>
>>266592
now you're thinking like a macedonian, anon
>>
File: 1600629464789.jpg (31 KB, 640x480)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
reposting from other thread.
i feel like unit tier is very important in WARHAMMER 2.
in shogun 2 i could win a lot of battles with simple units simply by utilizing proper formations and tactics, but in W2 i get my shit kicked in if i my units aren't a higher tier.

what is three kingdoms like? as much as i love the variety in warhammer i want to utilize strategy and not power in my battles.
>>
File: ikko.jpg (557 KB, 1920x1080)
557 KB
557 KB JPG
what are the hardest starting positions? The Ikko are fun but I spread myself too thin on too many fronts and I'm having trouble expanding and making money. Yeah gaining provinces through rebellions is viable but other factions just gang up on my monks with all their ninjas and metsukes
>>
>>289259
>what are the hardest starting positions?
Uesugi
>>
File: tws2accessmap.jpg (427 KB, 1450x875)
427 KB
427 KB JPG
>>289264
yes, I always have trouble when expanding into this area, and if you don't have your back covered it's difficult to defend from unexpected attacks. Meanwhile the Mori are easy as fuck since they get the trade nodes and they can blockade the coasts easily while having just one major front open. The Date have those giant provinces which are a pain but at least you can defend just as easily
>>
>>289259
Uesugi games in higher difficulty generally boil down to abandoning your starting position and conquering Date as soon as possible to use THAT as a starting point. And maybe praying nobody takes Sado.
>>
>>288054
Funny, I think the exact opposite of Shogun 2
>>
>>267642
Medieval 2 is the only one I play anymore since all the new ones take millions of years to load into battles without an SSD and Rome has some weird bugs with modern graphics cards
>>
>>289546
>plays M2
>because of technical issues
Fuck man, I’m sorry.
>>
>>289264
I've never found Uesugi to be hard.
>>
>>289264
I found Mori to be quite challenging at the start. You are surrounded by bunch of traitors that will attack you straight away. You have a useless vassal that drags you into a war you don't want. Also every time I played, Kyushu has been conquered by a Christian daimyo.
>>
>>290567
the southern tip of Honshu is extremely defendable with just a fleet and a couple of armies
>>
File: 1602266074742.jpg (68 KB, 890x839)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
How the fuck do you deal with religion in this game? I've wiped out the Ikko-Ikki but some of my towns still predominantly follow their religion so Ikko-Ikki rebels keep showing up
>>
>>290614
Temples, upgraded temples in the neighbouring provinces and monks sitting in your provinces.
>>
>>266582
Can Otomo Dunderbuss cavalry fire while moving? It's a pain in the ass getting them to not aggro the enemy but man do they fuck shit up.
>>
>tfw can't recruit Long Ashi as Oda for some reason
>tfw I can only recruit regular Ashigaru instead of superior Oda variants

Is this the Ultimate Immersive Mod's fault or Jaki's Unique Factions?
>>
>tfw we'll never get a FotS-like expansion for 3 Chinkdoms set during the Opium War
>>
>>291490
try running without either of them
>>
>>290614
Send monks in
>>
File: matchlock ikko.jpg (40 KB, 302x432)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
this is the worst unit in the game
>>
>>279040
dont even get me started on FotS navy
>>
>>283173
are uesugi monks as good or better as ikko ikki monks?
>>
>>291582
Eh, it’s cheaper than European cannons
>>
>>291673
at least cannons work in sieges
>>
>>267798
They finished the manga too early. :(
>>
File: 187492l.jpg (135 KB, 422x600)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>291716
If you want more good stuff about Sengoku, read Sengoku Komachi. It's still going.
>>
>>291790
Hyouge Mono is another good one
>>
>>291790
>isekai shit
>>
>>287601
Towers are capturable but that’s it in vanilla SP campaigns. Mods can probably change though I don’t know of any.
>>
>>267638
>troop conflicts last mere seconds
Never had this problem
>>no siege towers
>>no ladders
>>no battering rams
>>siege weaponry is shit
Not historically accurate so not needed
>>
>>274018
Based Oda Nobuhide
>>
>>274018
>Oda
>loansword ashigaru
>>
>>267638
Braindead take. The fact that you got filtered by Attila is proof enough of your plebiancy
>>
>>267301
I just ignore them completely and use naginata samurai. Not quite as good against cav but far superior in every other category
>>
>>280759
>spams monks and makes your provinces rebel
>>
>>283737
Mori get bandits?
>>
>>293330
unique factions mod
>>
>>284386
yeah but they're annoying to recruit because you need a military port so you can't get the armor or melee upgrades
>>
>>293307
with the power of mods everything is possible.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.