[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 68 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>what is Spellforce Versus?
It's the Warcraft IV we never got. You recruit a hero (warrior or spellcaster), build your base, and capture and upgrade zone outposts to build more economy or unit production buildings
>how much does it cost
It's free, you download the game from Steam and receive access to either Humans, Elves or Orcs chosen randomly. You can play 1v1 ladder, skirmish with AI, or custom team games like 2v2/3v3/FFA (also possible with AI)
>are there any other races
Yes, there are also Trolls, Dwarves and Dark Elves. If you pay $15 you get unlimited access to all the races
>how different are the races
Very much, each race has a unique playstyle, unique resource, unique units, unique economy and unique strengths and weaknesses
>what's the economy about
Each zone on the map has a specific amount and type of resources. When you capture a zone and build an outpost, you get some workers for that zone (depends on played race how many). These workers can be put in specific buildings to fulfill their jobs (e.g. iron mine, stonecutter, etc). All races differ in how many worker slots are available for specific buildings. Unit production buildings also require workers as drill sergeants.
>what role do heroes play
Your hero captures outposts, receives experience points from killed enemies, and collects gold from killed enemies to buy equipment at the shop. Gold is a separate resource used only to purchase equipment for your hero. Experience points allow your hero to level up and put points in two skill trees, making them stronger and giving them access to offensive/defensive abilities/spells.
>are you a shill OP
No, I want more people to play this game so I don't have to wait for a match. It's literally the first time in a decade where I can play for 8+ hours straight with a stupid grin on my face, the game is that good. If you browse /vst/ you have a moral obligation to at least give the game a try for free.

This thread exists to give a helping hand to new players.
>>
File: 1604336479519.jpg (348 KB, 2048x1152)
348 KB
348 KB JPG
reposting helpful anon's race breakdown from the other thread

>Early game dwarves are strong, their basic warrior is one of the most efficent units in the game. Their mid game gives them access to some strong units but nothing really to impressive. Their late game is their weakest point. Because of this dwarf playstyle is early aggression trying to slow your opponents expansion while allowing you to ramp up your production.
>Dark elves are the opposite. They are extremely weak Early, relying on their spiders to harass their opponents while they try to get sectors full of iron. Dark elves really start ramping up in tier 2 where they get access to their special units. This allows them to stabilize the board. Finally tier 3 is when Dark elves become juggernauts. They have the strongest late game IMO with the ability to summon skeletons with good stats. They are all about grinding you opponents into dust.
>Humans are overall very balanced. Their early units are weak but they can hold the line if need be. Usually a race will require 1 resource early on over others, humans want all of them in about equal measures. This is both good and bad, you get everything out of a sector but have to split up workers. Late game is all about countering the opponents army. They have the perfect tool for any occasion
>Elves- Probably the weakest race early on. A decent player knows this and will harass almost nonstop. For Dark Elves I said that mid game is were they stablize, for elves it is were they take control. The difference between tier 1 elves and tier 2 elves is like night and day. You need a lot of Iron though. Late game has a couple of units that will shore up some holes in your comp but nothing really of note compared to your tier 2 spike.
>>
File: spellforce.jpg (1.61 MB, 1919x1080)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
>Trolls- Trolls have the strongest and the tankiest basic unit in the game, but they are also the most expensive. Trolls are all about harassing the opponent early on, doing everything they can to slow the opponents game down. Tier 2 is were they unlock everything. Trolls do not have a tier 3. I repeat, TROLLS DO NOT HAVE A TIER 3. Troll late game is taking smart fights, their tier 2 range and melee units deal splash damage so you want your opponent to bunch up while you deal splash damage to their army.
>Orcs- Orcs have a strong early game that they need. The way orcs produce units is from their command structures, like how zergs produce units through hatcheries. Because of this Orcs require a lot of land to be able to produce the units they need. Tier 2 does add some interesting units to their roster but nothing of not, they will be relying on goblins to make up most of their army. Their Tier 3 is strong because of how fast it is to get their, not because of any units that stand out.

helpful starting build for all races vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvTEw__-lOs
>>
And they called me a shill
>>
>>263823
call me a shill, a faggot, a nigger, but play the fucking game and populate my lobbies.
>>
I'd rather just watch Indrid's casts.
>>
>>263815
Are ressources Infinite? What is the pop cap? Is the AI good?
>>
>>263990
No, every sector has a finite number of resources, aside from food and wood if you play as Elves, you need to conquer new sectors to get your hands on new or unique resources. 300 in vanilla, 200 in expansions. AI can put up a good fight on higher difficulties.
>>
>>263990
>>264007
your hunters gather food early game, and this food (in the form of wild game) is finite for each zone which has it. Later (usually in tier 2) you get farms which are an infinite source of food.
Other resources are all finite.
AI is OK, starting with Hard they relentlessly send waves of units at you which may cause problems for newbies.
>>
File: file.png (145 KB, 300x300)
145 KB
145 KB PNG
>>263815
>>263816
>"free" game
>can only play one race unless you pay
>you can't even choose which one, it's assigned randomly
lol
>>
I've seen some footage of this game and my concern is that the visual style seems to be a bit hard to read; the units don't really stand out from the environment as well as they should in an rts game.
>>
>>264049
I had the same concerns from watching others play, but when I tried it myself I didn't have any problems discerning what's a unit/building and what's environment. Player colors stand out a lot in-game
>>
>>264080
>Player colors stand out a lot in-game
On the other hand, have fun finding green-colored Elven units on a "forest" map.
>>
>>263815
Am I the only one that prefers the vanilla game to SH? It kinda flows better for me. SH revamps to the factions and the UI doesn't really sit well with me.
>>
>>264098
You are probably the only one
>>
>>264026
>you can't even choose which one, it's assigned randomly
I have to agree that this is pretty fucking stupid
>>
>>264026
>>264271

... They want you to buy the game? It is 15 usd to upgrade... I mean they are a company and this isn't as bad as you make it seem...
>>
>>264320
I would have considered it for the expansion races but honestly, this stuff that I can't even choose the race made me stop downloading the free versus mode
>>
>>263815
0.05 USD have been deposited in your account
>>
>>264320
I don't necessarily object to the free content being limited, but at the very least they should have made it so you get to choose which of the three starter races you want for free. That way you can at least pick a race you think is cool. Making it random is pointlessly frustrating and it's not going to work very well as a demo when people locked into a race they don't even like.
>>
>>264271
>>264355
yes, that's pretty dumb. It's still an excellent game and all races are good if you know what you're doing.
>>
File: dragon embrss.jpg (94 KB, 904x761)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
I am downloading it, but I swear to God, OP, if it is shit...!
>>
>>264320
if it were good people would buy it without faggy restrictions like that. forcing random race makes me think its a barely fun game, like something you would expect from something on your phone.
>>
>>264480
base game with campaign + soul harvest + fallen god cost a fuckton, versus is just multiplayer for $15 or free if you're willing to play one race only.
Just played humans after going dark elves. Holy fucking shit they hit hard mid-late game.
>>
>>264573
>base game with campaign + soul harvest + fallen god cost a fuckton
What's with these kikes releasing every DLC campaign as if it were a full game anyway?
>>
File: 1605463610530.png (244 KB, 351x351)
244 KB
244 KB PNG
>>264576

they're like 30+ hour campaigns with new races

also they go on sale for like 75% off
>>
man the worker system doesn't feel intuitive at all
>>
>>264663
what do you mean anon?
>i have 100 wood and 20 food
>guess I don't need as many woodcutters and more farms
the number under worker icon on the outpost tells you how many idle workers you'll have
>>
File: unknown.png (35 KB, 1322x104)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>263815
hello again. as i said in last thread due to my severe autism i will wait until all content is updated to be internally consistent and merged into one client, which supposedly is happening. game looks fun
>>
>>264740
That's okay, I am waiting for you with my 47 arbalists and upgraded champions.
>>
>>264740
The client were supposed to be merged ages ago. The devs are taking their sweet time with this one.
>>
>>264698
There's just no tooltips or anything, it's not very clear for me what this green progress bar is doing I assumed it spawned more workers but for some reason it seemed to keep filling up without giving me new ones, what my worker limit is. It says 10 workers here, but I have 11 working in buildings. Is my number of workers just the number in the sanctum + 1?
>>
>>265043
The devs have said that they were working on it however they got derailed because Fallen God got green lite. They are a very small team so they couldn't work on both Apparently.

Something of note for heroes. Creeping is very important. You get more from creeping more then fighting your opponent early one so you will want to be moving around the map securing sectors.

Because of how sectors work you are gonna want to expand aggressively. You don't need to upgrade them all but when you take a sector it will give you vision of the area allowing you to keep an eye out for your opponents army. You don't wanna sit there and let them take over the map.
>>
>>264740
This sounds better. I'll wait as well.
>>
>>265352
>get more EXP for creeping then fighting your opponent early on.
>>
>>265352
Will they revamp the vanilla unit roster as well upon merge? I am a bit on the fence about the changes made to the factions in expansions and would rather have a choice whether I want to play in vanilla mode or in expansion mode.
>>
>>265467
I am not sure, but I am pretty sure that they will because they want the campaign to be an intro to the Multiplayer. They might not though.
>>
>>265467
Of course they will
>>
I like SF3, it's a valiant effort to create a classic fantasy RTS. but fuck me, I hate the base building of the main game. why can't I control workers? why don't my outposts have access to my resources? why is everything related to base building so unintuitive? despite this, I bought all the expansions at full price to hopefully incentivise the devs to put more effort into the game.
>>
>>266844
>why can't I control workers?
Because this system is a hundred times more intuitive than the traditional way of having to individually micromanage each worker.
>why don't my outposts have access to my resources?
They changed it in Soul Harvest so that all resources are global.I think they should have improved the system rather than caving into gookclickers, but alas...
>>
>>266897
>Because this system is a hundred times more intuitive than the traditional way of having to individually micromanage each worker.
how the hell is it intuitive
>>
>>266897
>m-muh gookclickers
lol autism

If they didn't want you to micro your units, they wouldn't have made a game where micro is necessary.
>>
>>266897
>They changed it in Soul Harvest so that all resources are global.
Eh, I guess I liked the vanilla system where your zones had access to the resources as long as they were connected to one another, Settlers-style. It forced some careful planning. In general the vanilla multi was a bit more challenging.
>>
>>266909
You select a building and the number of workers. Two easy clicks and done.
>>266910
Go back newfag
>>
>>266949
>try to select workers
>can't because you're at your limit that you can't even find
>>
>>266964
Only a problem with the vanilla game's UI.
>>
How are the campaigns? I played a bit of base SF3, but there was too much arpg, too little RTS in the campaign for my taste
>>
>>266974
Does Versus have the vanilla UI?
>>
File: Soul Harvest UI.jpg (713 KB, 1920x1080)
713 KB
713 KB JPG
>>266990
No
>>
>>266987
Well, SF3 is more of an RPG with RTS elements, with the expansions doubling down on RPG part, so if you didn't like the vanilla, the expansions won't convince you.
>>
>>266844
gotta agree, it took me couple of minutes to figure out the resource system
overall it is kinda neat, although I expected for the outpost flags to have a more impact. I mean, as I saw, you can just capture and build whichever you want, no need to have it connected to your base
Also it is still a little bit unclear if those outpost/zone borders are relevant to how far workers of a gatherer building are willing to go to gather the given resource

yeah and combat/unit control is messy, not as nice and clean like war3
the highly detailed busy graphics are not helping it either
>>
>>266844
>>266910
>why can't I control workers?
>If they didn't want you to micro your units, they wouldn't have made a game where micro is necessary.
The entire point of SF3 economy is that it isn't Age of Empires 2 or StarCraft. You can't sit behind walls, plop down 5 TCs, pump out a 100 workers and have a boomer economy. You can't produce 30 workers in 2 minutes with your 5 CCs and send them to a new base to mine at 200% efficiency.
SF3 progress is gradual and tied directly to map control. You take a few starting outposts and manage your available workers. To take more outposts and expand, you need to make a couple soldiers because stronger creeps guard additional outposts. To get your army going, you need more outposts. No outposts, no economy, no army. You manage to take down an opponent's outpost with 3+ resource collecting buildings? Good job, you are really ahead, and your enemy is shit for not defending. You took down an outpost with barracks? Even better, your opponent's reinforcing ability is significantly hindered. You do not have to slog through the game because the "main" base does not contain and protect every vital building like in AoE2 and SC.
You put down a building, the silhouette of which even has an arrow pointing at the resource location, and you're done - you can go back to the main course of the game, microing your goddamn army. You have a hero with vital active skills, you need to position him, you need to kite with archers, you need to focus down hardhitters. Instead of having to micro your workers, you micro your army and hero, every military unit is important and keeping these units alive is very important. I really, really like SF3 because of this entire design. And most importantly I like that it's not another SC or AoE2 clone.
>>
>>265600
>>265624
Well, that's... meh. Although if the revamped vanilla campaign allows me to fuck Yria, I am willing to overlook that. Because I swear there were supposed to be romances in the vanilla game, but they were cut for time and only added later in SH.
>>
>>267018
how do I play my outposts? are they supposed to be self-sufficient and produce a bit of everything or highly specialized to produce resources that my main base needs for unit training?
I like the idea of the system, but I do not understand it too well so far. a proper guide would have been handy, unfortunately the campaign does not do a good job at explaining how to manage your outposts.
>>
>>265352
>>265624
does that mean the outpost system of the base game will be updated to SH's design too? not sure how I'd feel about that
>>
>>267036
which race do you play?
usually you're supposed to take outposts whenever you can. It's better to take 3 outposts and have 1 building in each, than take 1 outpost and upgrade it 3 times, purely because you're ceding these 2 outposts to the enemy who can crush you with map control. If you notice you're low on any necessary resource and you're not getting it fast enough, prioritize the zone which has it.
But I play with specific goals in mind, e.g. I need quick t2 as humans and get keepers with arbalests, then push for enemy outposts - meaning I need to get a lot of iron, food and some wood as soon as I hit t2 (which means 2 of my outposts can be just double iron mine with nothing else, depending on the map). I plan my strats according to that.
>>
>>267047
currently playing the base game's campaign, so mostly human I think? I'm not messing with multiplayer, I am purely interested in the single player aspect of the game
>>
>>267048
I'm not sure anon, I only play multiplayer in Versus. Usually campaigns have a specific amount of outposts on the map made for the player to take, so I would take all available ones as soon as possible, build up, and push for more.
>>
>>267051
thanks anon, that's what I've done so far. what I'm wondering about is how to build my outposts. have a farm, logging camp and stone/iron mine in each camp or make specialized camps that only focus on 1 resource?
>>
can I just simply create another account to roll new race? I got humans but they seem boring
>>
>>267054
Humans need a little bit of everything, so I think you're okay with that. Later on when you don't need to build a lot, but need an army, I'd switch stonecutters to iron miners and more farms, depending which one you lack more
>>267060
yeah that should be possible, I think the game account is tied to your Steam account
>>
>>263815
I'll pass, everything I heard about it makes it sound way worse than previous games, from lore being fucked to game diminishing the RTS parts
>>
>>267125
campaigns are more of an RPG than RTS. Multiplayer is warcraft 4, but whatever floats your goat
>>
>>267125
If anything, the writing improved from SF 1. And the fantastic presentation definately helps. Also, the RTS part is actually more refined now, it's just the campaign puts more emphasis on the RPG part and the story it tries to tell. But I guess that's Spellforce for ya. The series was always *very* autistic about its story.
>>
>>267125
> lore being fucked
yes, but it does flesh out many areas that were lacking in the first two games as well. Trolls are no longer a meme race for example.
>to game diminishing the RTS parts
no. SF3 is now roughly as complex as SF1, which was far more complex than SF2. It's also the most polished of the three games.
>>
>>267125
I like SF3 and I couldn't stomach 1 or 2 despite trying (and failing) to get into them many times
>>
>>267063
I could actually create a new account easily and yeah it either ties to Steam somehow or this shit really just gave me humans AGAIN
fucking gay system, why the fuck can't we just try them for like 5 games each and pick one then
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (34 KB, 480x360)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Can you do fun/cheesy shit in this game like in Warcraft 3?
>>
>>267624
you can build shit including towers only in sectors you captured. Cheesy shit belongs to dwarves and orcs who can swarm early game
>>
>>263815
does it run on a toaster though
>>
>>268091
Depends on your definition of a toaster. The requirements are on the higher end of the spectrum, but the game still runs fine on lower-end PCs. I've managed to run it on I5 laptop with 8 GB of RAM and GEForce 765 GT. So I guess that counts as a toaster?
To be fair, Spellforce series always had rather steep requirements.
>>
Okay OP I'm installing. If this game doesn't give me at least 30 hours of enjoyment I'll be back to hassle you about this.
>>
>>263816
>>263818
Give me some flavor text on the races. Dark Elves sound cool with the spiders and skeletons. What is a good ''macro'' race? And which race has the most/coolest monster units?
>>
>>268105
Basically humans, dwarves, and elves are descended from one race that suffered a cataclysmic event that forced them to go down different evolutionary trees.

There are godlike beings called guardians on this world. They are here to protect the world from external threats not to step in and get involved with internal threats. One of these guardians felt like it wasn't getting enough praise so he decided to step in and make a race that would worship only this and cause wars. This race was the orcs. The problem was that the god looked at the orcs and thought to himself 'These fuckers are to smart and aren't strong enough' so he then made the trolls.

He then went out and pretty much asked if any other guardians would like to side with him. One of them did but said that they wanted a race all to themselves too, so to gain his help the first dark god made the dark elves and gifted them to his brother in return for his allegiance.

All races are good macro races, it is just that there are some really strong units locked behind each tier that will act as a power spike for that race. Dark elves are good but hard to play properly.
>>
>>268142
How do the SF3 events connect to the SF1 lore? I know Yria is supposed to be one of the Circle mages, which is a downer because she's likeable as fuck and we know she's going to go insane and die. But do the events actually gel together?
To be fair, I am impressed how much lore there is in Spellforce games, despite 95% of players not giving a shit about it.
>>
File: SF.png (119 KB, 368x260)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
>>268098
This is OP and I'm getting there. Should hit 30 today
>>
Is there even somewhere I can find stats of units, heroes etc? The actual Spellforce wiki seems very incomplete and not accurate to this Versus game version.
>>
haven't played the addons yet, but the base game is pretty great actually!
>>
File: Elven_Novice.jpg (12 KB, 256x256)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>263815
Screw you Spellforce 3 Versus, I want my waifu back.
>>
>versus
I'm fucking poor and even I could afford the 15 bucks to get the main game to scratch that WC3 itch
>>
Apparently the "random race" thing just locks your account to a single race instead of making you get a random one each game. Isn't that kinda silly since you can just spam alt accounts until you have each of the 3 races locked to different accounts?
>>
>>268495
yes, it is pretty stupid.
I tried creating a second account but got the same race again. Likely just my luck, I doubt they implemented any tracking for it.
>>
My current big brain plan is to pay for the Versus upgrade, then wait for the big overhaul to the first game's single player and pirate it + the expansions. Will that cover everything?
>>
>>263815
What do you think of Spellforce II?
I played it recently because I've played it in childhood.
And this game is really shitty. Both campaign and battles.
>>
>>268720
It's not bad, but I would say it's the least fun of them all. It gets better with expansions.
IMO Spellforce 1>Spellforce 3>Spellforce 2.
>>
>>268720
I really liked the part where you get to develop your own island, shit was pretty great
>>
>>268142
Wow almost everything you just said sounds retarded and gay, but I'll check it out anyway.
>>
Apparently you can have trolls autotrain to the second tier by setting a rally point on a building. Makes them slightly less of a chore to play.
>>
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/spellforce-3-soul-harvest?hmb_source=search_bar

you can get all races except trolls for around £6
>>
Any guides or protips for build orders and general gamesense?
>>
>artosis is playing another rts
bros???............i thought starcraft wasn't dead.......................spellforce chads are laughing at us..............................................................
>>
>download it
>starting it forcibly turns off my monitor
>when I turn my monitor back on all I get is a black screen and crash report
nice game
>>
>>268142
Literally everything you just said sounds gay but I love spiders so I'll check out Dark Elves.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (2.45 MB, 1246x1121)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB PNG
Just finished Fallen God. Damn, what an emotional rollercoaster! It easily has the best story in the series, and probably RTS in general. Too bad all the endings are depressing as hell.
>>
>>267125
>everything I heard about it makes it sound way worse than previous games, from lore being fucked
Ironically FG retcons several of their retcons, so at least the developers are conscious of the criticism.
>>
>>269892
Do people really care about Spellforce lore that much? I never paid it much though.
>>
My economic management seems just terrible in this game, everyone else appears to spam units much more efficiently.
>>
>>269973
you need a better starting strat and then pump out units continuously once you get stable economy
>>
>>270073
How do I get them to be continuous though? I have so few workers available and I have to capture and upgrade posts to get just a handful more, which also takes time and resources. And why is iron mining so damn slow?
>>
>>270117
which race do you play? All races except trolls and elves need 21s per worker, remember that when you upgrade an outpost and plop down a building - it will start operating at 100% efficiency only after all workers are out. Or you can swap workers with the existing building to make it mine faster.
I play humans and once I get stable economy, I just never stop producing arbalests and keepers. It takes a while to figure out the best strat that works for you, but you need military units before/around 6 minute mark (orcs and dwarves will attack then and try to swarm you)
>>
>>270134
So far I've tried elves, humans and dark elves. Elves seemed the best because they can just create new workers at their main, while humans were forever capped at 10?
>>
Ok after reading this thread, I'm excited to try this out tomorrow.
I like how it has its own unique design, different from Starcraft, Warcraft, AoE.
Though I wasn't a fan of the aesthetics based on what I saw, but that doesn't really matter.

The random race for F2P actually sounds like a good idea, preventing all the F2Pers from having the same race.
A MOBA style rotation system wouldn't be appropriate for RTS, and letting everyone pick their race is just too generous.

Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy playing online without super tryharding. I feel too slow and mentally tired to enjoy starcraft anymore.
>>
>>270148
you need more outposts as humans, and upgrade them once you can't capture any more without troops and eco. Generally you want to capture as many outposts as you can for map control. Yes the main human base is capped at 10 workers, but their outposts and its upgrades always cost 10 wood-5 stone-10 food, which means even if you don't have map control, you're not completely fucked and can still boost your eco with your existing outposts.
Bear in mind, lategame your main base will run out of food for hunters. I swap them for t3 buildings then
>>
>>270170
It still feels like so little. 10 workers is just 2 woodcutters and half of a hunting cabin!
>>
File: hooman.png (2.04 MB, 1269x944)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB PNG
>>270192
wait I had a brainfreeze, humans have 15 workers in main. 2 woodcutters, 1 stone and 1 hunter is your starting build
>>
>>269788
>>270151
0.05 USD have been deposited in your account
>>
>>265043
Hey with regards to
>The client were supposed to be merged ages ago. The devs are taking their sweet time with this one.
The client for the pvp trial looks like it's combined now. It has locked campaigns all in one. Is this what you meant or something else?
>>
>>270151
as a 26 year old boomer/zoomer hybrid with a job I really appreciate this game, it's not that much of a gookclick like starcraft
>>
File: 1501467676244.gif (1.32 MB, 508x386)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB GIF
What is the campaigns in this series like? Are they just dressed up skirmishes tied together with a story or genuinely good fun missions.
>>
>>270231
You are the reason RTS are dead
>>
>>270994
Those are legit campaigns with entire storylines and shit. Although SF3 leans more onto a RPG side of things. And I swear to god, the writers take the story really fucking seriously.
>>
>>270994
Spellforce is as much of an RPG as it is an RTS series, so there are many elements that you wouldn't find in a tradtional RTS . Character creation, dungeons, exploration, towns, sidequests, ect. SF2 and SF3 even have companions and upgradeable player homes. Fallen God has an impressive amount of choice & consequence and multiple endings, which is a first for the series.
Lore and story is taken seriously in each game.My only problem with SF3 is that it seems Oblivion-fied, in that the general writing is an improvement, but the setting isn't as crazy or unique as its predecessors. FG is a return to form though.
>>
>>270750
>Muh gookclick
Reminder there's a guy with literally no hands in Plat. He plays with arm stumps and a chopstick in his mouth.
>>270151
The random race is a terrible idea. You should have the option to pick one of the three free races after trying each a few times. Most of the negativity I see is because of the random race. I don't know why they thought that was a good idea. Most people have a main race, in this game with 6 very distinct races people will gravitate towards the one they like even more. It makes much more sense to allow people to try every race once or twice then decide which of the three free ones will be their main. That way people have an option of what they want and they have a taste of the money races so they are more likely to buy them.
>>
Are there maps that flat out don't have some resources like moonsilver for dwarves?
>>
>>270210
I think it's more like 1 wood, 1 stone, 1 hunter, save the extra stone for upgrading your first two outposts.
>>
>>271626
No, they will all have those special resources.

>>271184
The whole point of the random was to provide one faction that would make people want to buy either the expansions or the $15 pack. They want to make money. I understand peoples frustration at it but this is what they wanted to happen.

>>269944
The first two Spellforce games paid particular attention to world building. The one thing that 3 lacks is that it does not mesh well with the other two games. Though Fallen God does a good job of retconning a lot of problems as well as being the best expansion.
>>
>>272032
Except if you give people a random race then they say wtf is this dogshit and fuck off to write a bad review. I'm sure it's making them a lot of money to push away people.
If they wanted to make money they'd give crumbs to bait the cake. Instead they give nothing. If someone gets humans and want to try elves, they aren't going to buy the game and maybe they'll like elves. No, they're just not going to play.
>>
Is ranked matchmaking the preferred way to play this?
>>
>>272032
>>272040
Yeah, I knew I was going to play Human before I picked up the game and I was planning on just uninstalling if I didn't roll them. I got lucky, but there's an alternate universe where I rolled Elves or Orcs, went "eh I guess I'll play one game", and then just stopped playing because what's the point
>>
>>264015
>AI is OK, starting with Hard they relentlessly send waves of units at you which may cause problems for newbies.
Yeah I really wasn't expecting how annoying the AI would start being on Hard. Part of it was probably playing on a big map.

I have to say that I really don't like a few aspects of this game, coming from SC2, and one major one is just how many different paths there are into so many of your bases. A big part of a lot of strategy games is that you get to defend WHILE you're attacking because your opponent needs to keep units at home to deal with you. Here, the teleport scroll almost makes it more like "attack while you're attacking". Whoever makes the other one teleport first is the winner, because for the next few minutes they're totally powerless to deal with threats across a large distance.

The other thing is just the sluggish as fuck unit movement and combat. I don't need it to to be too fast, but god fucking damn, it takes like three seconds for your units to respond when you tell them to move or attack something.

I also don't really get the point of heroes, they seem way too weak to be such a central part of the game.
>>
>>272279
>Yeah I really wasn't expecting how annoying the AI would start being on Hard. Part of it was probably playing on a big map.
I don't consider myself an RTS expert, but I have no problem steamrolling the AI on hard.
>I also don't really get the point of heroes, they seem way too weak
Heroes are your most important units in singleplayer and multiplayer
>>
>>272301
>>272279
skills between different rts games don't always carry over. sc and aoe2 are very different games, while i believe a good sc/aoe2 would be able to move up faster than someone with zero rts knowledge, there are different mechanics at work and you will need to figure them out before you will see more success.
>>
>>271184
Yeah they should give everyone a 300-hour trial with all races and campaigns to entice people. Fucking poorfags I swear on me mum. Watch a single gameplay video for each race, roll a race, didn't get the one you wanted? Make a new account and roll again, it's fucking free. It's not rocket science. Try out all the 3 races for free in fact. For a poorfag you're not thinking like a poorfag.
>>271913
No anon. You don't want to leave 3 idle workers in any base, ever.
Hunter's cabin costs 18 wood.
Stonecutter costs 18 wood.
Barracks cost 12 wood and 9 stone.
Outposts cost 10 wood, 5 stone, and 10 food.
And you are allowed to go into negative resources in this game, meaning % progress will continue. Even if you're at -5 stone with your second outpost, your main will produce that 5 stone before the % progress comes to a halt because of lack of stone.
>>272040
>Instead they give nothing.
They give you one race to play for free, forever. Entire race, all units, all heroes, all techs. You don't have to pay for the game and you get an AAA RTS where you can ladder and become #1 in the world with your rolled race. That's not nothing, that's your poorfag brain on breadcrumbs.
>>272095
You will get steamrolled if you jump into ranked right away. Play with AI first, get the hang of the race you're playing, try out some strats, train harassing and unit control. Then go and play some custom games, can even be 2v2. Then go ranked when you're comfortable with what you're doing, at least that's what I'd advise.
Ranked matchmaking is something new to the series in general (came with Versus release), team matchmaking is confirmed to be in the works.
>>272279
>Whoever makes the other one teleport first is the winner, because for the next few minutes they're totally powerless to deal with threats across a large distance.
This is why you need map control. Notice these Godstones all over the map? They act as teleport beacons aside from training your hero.
>>
>play it
>more autistic esports fast click build rush bullshit that wants to be Warcraft 3 and Starcraft
those two games singlehandedly killed this entire genre, fuck Warcraft 3 and Starcraft.
>>
>>272279
>I don't need it to to be too fast, but god fucking damn, it takes like three seconds for your units to respond when you tell them to move or attack something.
Are you sure your opponent wasn't lagging hard? Multiplayer is sadly P2P in this game. It normally doesn't take 3 seconds for your units to respond.
>I also don't really get the point of heroes, they seem way too weak to be such a central part of the game.
Maybe you just don't know how to use them. Your hero skills are not supposed to obliterate armies, they're supposed to take away a chunk of health and debuff. In other words, support your army. E.g. If you can jump/teleport behind enemy's melee into their archer line, you will either cause them to focus your hero, or die. Wolfguard commander's last melee skill in the tree creates a large shockwave that knockbacks units and makes them stunned for like 3 seconds. So you can push enemy units into your melee, and your archers are shooting ducks. That gives you a huge battle advantage.
>>
>>272440
Vanilla was 2x slower, but competitive fags demanded that it be sped up because their APM wasn't carrying them to victory. It's still not nearly as bad as SC or WC, but yeah...
>>
File: RepentBoomer.png (176 KB, 443x455)
176 KB
176 KB PNG
>>271068
>You are the reason RTS are dead
but Spellforce 3 is donkey shit and multiplayer was never the focus of the series
>>
>>272453
>Vanilla was 2x slower
fuck me, sounds like a game I'd actually want to play
guess I'll just keep playing RA2 and Dark Crusade
>>
>>272457
>RA2
>slow
Anon...
>>
>>272462
>not playing AI skirmishes and campaigns only
>>
>>272456
>multiplayer was never the focus of the series
it is now.
>>
>>272464
AI skirmishes and campaigns are still fast.
Unless you're telling me you play on the lowest game speed, in which case you're better off playing chess or heroes of might and magic 3
>>
>>272465
and look at that, it's complete fucking trash desperately trying to be games from 1998 and 2002!
>>
>>272471
I play on whatever the default is, I never fuck with the speed slider.
>>
>>272473
name 1 RTS from 1998-2002 with this worker/economic system and heroes.
>it's complete fucking trash
It objectively isn't, sorry sweaty
>>
File: 1587007275492.jpg (23 KB, 503x337)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>272437
Serious question, why are you such a faggot sperg holy shit, you could win an award for the current biggest sperg on a board for strategy games, that's impressive.
>one random race is retarded, people will just get something they don't want, uninstall and leave a bad review (like they already are), no one is going to pay for a chance at enjoying a different race
>WOOOOOOOW SO YOU JUST WANT TO PLAY THE WHOLE GAME FOR FREE HUUUH??? FUCKING POORFAGS MAAAN YOU JUST WANT EVERYTHING FOR FREE
How do you even manage to play video games with sub room temperature IQ? I seriously hope you're paid to shill this garbage because at least that'd mean you're just pretending to be a brain dead nigger and you're not actually a brain dead nigger.
>>
>>272488
>buzzword the post
Make a new account and roll again, it's fucking free. It's not rocket science. Try out all the 3 races for free in fact. This is a non-issue for anyone even with sub room temperature IQ.
>>
>>272494
>>buzzwords the post
lol my bad, meant for >>272437
>>
File: capture.png (22 KB, 428x289)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>272506
Just leave dude.
>>
>>272457
Anon units in this game attack like once every three seconds. How much fucking slower could you possibly want it?
>>
File: RTS NPC.png (44 KB, 300x359)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>266897
>let's remove base building elements so we can focus on micro
>>
>>272684
but you build a base and manage workers, the economy system is complex, you just don't micro workers.
>>
>>269944
It's an RPG as well anon, well done lore really helps them stay relevant across entries
>>
>>272603
I just really hate Korean RTS so anything that makes esports retards seethe makes me happy
>>
>>272603
Yeah, this game does require some micro but in reality this is the closest I have seen a rts come to being a casual rts while still being competitive multiplayer wise. Its good.
>>
I tried this out and thankfully got randomed into humans. any tips? seems like it can be hard to balance being greedy and capturing flags everywhere and just attacking
>>
>>272437
There's no point in conversing with people on 4chan who complain about a $15 price tag.
They're like communists on Twitter, too out of touch with reality to even be worth communicating with.
>>
>>272437
>Fucking poorfags I swear on me mum
I guess they hope someone is stuck with a race they don't like and then they buy into the others

>>272437
>Make a new account and roll again, it's fucking free.
my time is valuable you fat fucking faggot

if this was an actual Spellforce game I would have bought it but I immediately lost interest the moment they announced in the forums that the close up camera from Spellforce 1 wouldn't be included

this game was made by some big dystopic company conglomerate that buys dead IP's and then uses the name alone to shit out a mediocre functional product
>>
>>273157
>my time is valuable you fat fucking faggot
and yet here you are posting on pygmy textile weaving forum lmao
>>
>>264049
The units stand out a lot more in game. That and the occlusion system lets you see units through buildings and terrain easily so it is hard to miss anything.
>>
>>263816
>>263818
Ugh. I hate it when strategy games design the factions to be stronger compared to others at certain time frames.
>>
>>273451
Then don't play it.
>>
>>273481
Seconding, play first two games instead
>>
>>273451
How else would you do it? It's not possible to design different factions and have them not be different. It's a complete oxymoron.
>>
>>273854
I think he means something like age of empires 2 where all factions are the same with little differences and modifiers here and there. But there are nations stronger at certain timeframes too... really activates your almonds
>>
>>273451
>>273854
>>273883
I don't know why it would bother someone that it is that way, unless they're equally concerned with competitive multiplayer and with picking their favorite faction aesthetically. You can always just play sub-optimally in singleplayer, who cares?
>>
>>263815
I am trying to get into this game, but I just can't figure out how to play it since it seems tp be different from all games I ever played, could anyone teach me? I seriously can't survive through the first map of the campaign!
>>
>>263816
Wait, so if I get the full version upgrade I don't get the campaign, and if I get the normal one I can't play multiplayer?
>>
>>273915
base game is in the process of being integrated into the new matchmaking system
>>
>>273918
No, I own the main game and all the expansions. I have all the races for multiplayer.
>>
>>273910
The original campaign or expansions? Regardless, the best advice is to remember that Spellforce is as much of an RPG as it is an RTS. You should build a well rounded party of heroes and have them be at the vanguard of every assault. The purpose of tier 1 and 2 units is to delay the enemy and shield your heroes until you can reach tier 3. Once at tier 3, you can focus on destroying the enemy base with a balanced army composition.
>>
>>273941
Also if you don't mind using a bit of cheese, you can have your party explore the map and clear out mobs before triggering the battle. This tactic works in Spellforce 1 & 2 as well.
>>
>>273941
The original campaign, once I expand over the province to the north of the original settlement I start getting steam rolled by the desert crusaders, all the while having to move my heroes to the objectives of the campaign, thus forcing me to remove them from the frontlines!

What do? Towers are useless to anything more than single scouts that roam through my provinces, can hardly maintain an army at the frontlines with the amount of raiders constantly spamming me!
>>
>>273946
Are you sure that you are talking about the first campaign mission?
>>
>>273963
>Are you sure that you are talking about the first campaign mission?
Yes, why? Is it different to you?
>>
>>273940
is ment for>>273915
My bad.
>>
File: lol.png (499 KB, 2018x882)
499 KB
499 KB PNG
>>263816
>>
>>274275
Actually this method is better than what used to be, when people who were playing an expansion had no compatibility with the vanilla game. In this way, everyone can still join the same lobby and you can even make your own rules like "no trolls" if some players don't have Fallen God.
>>
>>274275
Here I fixed your chart
>>
Yesterday there was a tourney with the top players from ladder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCIjsTcuMUI

Overall good games, really interesting if you are looking to learn the game becasue these guys are at the top atm.
>>
>>274470
Also I believe that they are open to giving their replays to new people since the community is so small.
>>
>>274474
i'm too scared to play online, the hard AI is giving me trouble, even though the game's already a bit simplified, I can't handle keeping production going and I'm gonna get bodied probably when things go into mid to late
>>
There's no reason to buy vanilla first. It costs twice as much as the expansions, has the least amount of content (maps included), massively inferior gameplay, and while the story is okay, Fallen God is way better.
>>
>>274481
Do you have a drivers license? I taught myself to keep glancing at resources/free workers/new outposts like I would glance at the rear view mirror. Might help
>>
>>274487
oh no, no i don't.
my issue is I guess I'm okay with early-to-mid when there's not a lot going on but once my attention gets drawn in by some fights or so I tend to float resources so much that I end up with like 100 100 100 stone wood food and no units

I think the game itself has done a good job in trying to stop you from floating resources just by making you able to queue units even if you don't have resources, but it's still kind of a hard thing to do when you're not used to it
>>
>>274494
add unit production buildings to a control group and select it whenever you can to check if they're free, then spam the units you want with hotkeys and go back to microing
>>
>>274494
>>274496
also keep in mind that a unit won't start production instantly if the building was idle, workers need to carry and deliver resources before production starts. So it's optimal to always keep 2 units queued, but you don't want to queue 100 because you'll fuck over your economy
>>
File: 8wrpK5j.png (327 KB, 323x454)
327 KB
327 KB PNG
>all these people making non-private lobbies and then kicking me when I enter
>>
>>274485
They're going to release a big patch revamping vanilla in the future, right?
>>
>>274584
Yeah. I would hold out for the patch+ a sale to get it.
>>
What are the big changes in lore between the previous spellforces, Spellforce 3, and then Fallen God? What about the gameplay changes between Spellforce 3 vanilla and the expansions?
>>
>>274714
>What are the big changes in lore between the previous spellforces, Spellforce 3, and then Fallen God?
Virtually every aspect of the universe was pointlessly retconned to some degree. This guy writes a detailed breakdown of some of the lore issues in Soul Harvest alone.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/817540/discussions/0/1609400247626789733/
I think the developers have finally learned their lesson with Fallen God though. It's the only campaign that l feel improved on the lore rather than took away from it.
>What about the gameplay changes between Spellforce 3 vanilla and the expansions?
The biggest mechanical change is to how resources work. In vanilla, every sector has its own individual resource pool, and you had to transport resources between sectors via caravans in order to get anything built. In the expansions, resources are automatically shared between all sectors, making the game much faster paced.
Beyond that, Humans, Elves, and Orcs all received major tweaks, the new factions are awesome, flying units are a good addition, and the new UI is a huge improvement.
>>
>>274481
>>274494
Hard AI is weirdly difficult on some maps and weirdly easy on others. I've never once beaten the hard AI on, I don't remember the name, the forgotten city or whatever, the map which is just 16 squares. That one and the one with the river down the middle. But I win almost every time on the gardens. It seems like the AI does dramatically better the "wider" the center of the map is. The gardens have a gigantic wall in the middle of the map so there's only like two paths to worry about, but when you get into more open maps it'll just constantly throw multiprong attacks at you.

Lategame, too. I can utterly demolish the AI earlygame but the moment it gets to T2 units things get ten times harder for no apparent reason. Partially it's because units in this game are retarded and will go off chasing your opponent's units across the map if you don't force them to stop.
>>
Are there elves of both genders in Spellforce 3?
It always bother me in Spellforce 1 how all the regular elves and frostelves are all exclusively female while the dark elves were exclusively male. How do they reproduce?
>>
>>275390
wood elves are amazons that rape their men that are tied in their tree houses
dark elves treat their women as breeding stock
>>
>>275395
Should be the other way around because having a dark elf mistress sounds hotter.
>>
>>275424
They probably didn't want to get called Not!Drow. Their titan unit is called Broodfather and it's a bald, ugly, fat old man with a spider lower half.
>>
>>275448
So he's notKargoth?
>>
>>275390
elves are men with some women
dark elves are also men with some special women units such as the wrinkled husk necromancer lady or the spider lady
>>
>>275424
>women raping men and being dominant
you go girl
>men raping women
wtf this is so evil.
>>
>>275456
>elves are men with some women
Spellforce 1 disagrees. That's why I am so salty about SH removing the novice and the ranger.
>>
>>275472
anon was asking about SF3 specifically. Yes SF1 is all women.
>>
Is massing protectors + wardens basically the main plan for elves?
>>
>>275538
You want a lot of Protectors and wardens but you want other units as well. If you see someone going only Protectors and wardens then they might be trying to hero snipe.
>>
>>275538
I often see a couple druids mixed in too
>>
So what's the ideal army composition to aim for with each race?
>>
>>276160
that's too broad of a question anon. E.g. as humans vs orcs you want to rush fire catapults for aoe damage against swarms of goblins, while upgraded arbalests are generally the best human unit you always want in your army in great numbers. Vs orcs you want footmen early game. Vs elves you need tankier keepers, as elves get really strong units in t2. Which race do you play?
>>
>>276169
>Which race do you play?
So far mostly elves and dwarves but I'm very new.
>>
Should I just play Trolls?
I like how their dudes are such big guys. My eyesight sucks and I like having large easy to control units, like a child playing with those gigantic lego blocks because the small ones are a choking hazard.
I just want an easy strategy that I can take on to the ranked ladder right away and start playing games.
>>
>>276899
You basically described trolls, but that's only if you feel like shelling out money.
>>
>>276899
trolls are strong and definitely viable. The thing is, they need scrap metal for upgraded units. And the only way to know where the scrap metal is, is to play all the maps with passive AI, scour them for scrap and remember the locations (they're not random)
>>
What race allows me to turtle for the first 80% of the game before obliterating everything?
>>
>>277273
Humans have the best defensive capabilities and a very strong army late game. But if you don't harass e.g. an elf player early game, you won't survive till late game
>>
>>277285
what do humans actually do? is it worth making infantrymen? what is the keeper's Q skill?
>>
File: screenshot000000.png (2.09 MB, 1344x756)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB PNG
why didn't you tell me this was kino?
>>
>>277273
Sounds more like Elves than Humans to me, although they're very similar.

Elves have really weak early units but overpowered town halls (one that gives a ton of workers, the other does a shitton of splash damage), and the strongest lategame unit in the game, the warden, which does 250 damage per shot in a game where the average is like 100. So you're relying heavily on your hero to protect you in T1 but then you go wild once you hit T2.

Humans are very all-round. They have incredibly weak heroes relative to the other races (e.g. one of the human heroes has a 5% extra resistances aura in a game where one of the Dark Elf heroes has a 60% resistance shred) but they have a little bit of everything and BY FAR the most broken lategame economy. They can convert their resources into other resources at one of their T3 buildings, and they don't need very much of their T3 resource. What this means is that they can use the normally fairly limited T3 resource sites as GIGANTIC pools of more important resources (like Iron) and then just slam waves of units into the opponent without giving a shit about how much they lose, because they have infinite money.

>>277611
Infantrymen are good. Arbalists are the core of your military, the melee units are just there to soak up damage and physically prevent your opponent from getting in range of your more important units. Keepers are probably the best melee unit but infantrymen are still a great option. When you get to that lategame I was talking about, Champions are basically giant suicide bomber units. They have terrible HP for their cost, but their attack does a ton of frontloaded damage and is splash, so you can basically just ram them into the enemy and watch everything explode. Doesn't matter that they're fragile because you just make more.

Keeper's Q gives them a ranged attack (so they can hit flying units) and also lowers the attack power of enemies in an AoE, which makes all your army tankier.
>>
>>278424
>Keeper's Q gives them a ranged attack (so they can hit flying units) and also lowers the attack power of enemies in an AoE, which makes all your army tankier.
why do they seem to not do anything when I press Q
>>
>>278486
idunno lol. Did you actually research the ability at the forge? It just changes their autoattack when you activate it, it's not some super flashy damaging skill or anything.
>>
>>278539
i tried it once and yes i did research it at the forge. of course you need to research it before being able to use it but when i activated it they just seemed to raise their hammer or something and nothing was dying around them, i was hoping it would be significant enough to notice and be worth using in a fight
>>
>>278550
Nah it's not like a hero ability or anything, it's not something you'd really notice. It costs focus with every attack so you should be able to see their little bars draining as they attack.

It's definitely worth using, it decreases the enemy's damage by like 20% which is a very big deal in RTS terms.
>>
>>278592
oh that explains something. it costs focus. the reason why they might not seem to do anything is because they are in that mode while out of focus
>>
>>278424
>They have incredibly weak heroes relative to the other races
Must of changed it because they used to have the most powerful heroes
>>
>>278613
Royal Mage is decent at pure damage but doesn't have very much utility. I do think I underrate him a bit, he can be built very flexibly and accomplish a lot of value over the game. That said, his utility is fairly minimal.

Wolfguard has some insanely powerful ultimates but ultimately (lol) is too weak outside of her ultimates to be the "backbone" of her forces in the way that most heroes would like to be. In the lategame it's very easy to snipe a Wolfguard with your archers before she actually accomplishes anything meaningful, and she's not threatening enough on her own to hinder the opponent's growth or movements in the earlygame. There are brief timings where she has a very large amount of potential, but she's never as consistent as you'd like.
>>
This game feels like a cross between Warcraft 3 and Rise of Legends at times.
>>
>>279585
If you set the AI to handle all the non-hero stuff it's basically Demigod (Stardock MOBA), due to how the map layout has pseudo-lanes.
>>
>>279701
>set the AI to handle all the non-hero stuff
How?
>>
Is this game one of those ones where you need to build your character a certain way or you are fucked? Or can I just pick whatever seems cool and still beat the game on normal
>>
>>281400
for the campaign? anything goes, there's also plenty of respec potions
>>
>>281800
Thank fuck for those respecc potions. I remember that feeling that you have in Spellforce 1 when you realize that your build is fucked 45+ hours in.
>>
I really love the campaigns

but no way in hell am i gonna try multiplayer
>>
>>281897
I don't see the point in multiplayer for this game anyway. wasn't it designed for your heroes to behave like RPG-characters that you can build from the ground up? MP skirmish goes against that
>>
>>281976
MP skirmish is Warcraft IV
>>
>>281981
warcraft has crisp design and responsive controls. SF3 looks muddled and the controls feel sluggish
>>
>>281989
WC3 definitely felt sluggish on battle.net due to the built-in delay.
>>
>>281981
Stop saying Spellforce 3 is warcraft 4, they play completely different. Only 2 heroes, different economy management, 1 upgrade per unit and no armor or attack uprades.

I like both, i play both but its not warcraft 4 at all
>>
>>283471
>1 upgrade per unit and no armor or attack uprades
Some units have multiple upgrades and there are units who have attack and / or armor upgrades though
>>
i dont like non-renewable resources, is there a cheat or some shit
>>
>>285017
Playing human with farms and trading resources on the market.
>>
>>263815
I was gonna buy Spellforce 3. Should I play 1 and 2 first?
>>
>>285195
Nah, not really. It's a prequel. And gameplay-wise it plays very differently.
>>
>>285198
But are they at least fun?
>>
>>285205
Yes, actually. SF 1 especially. So if you have means and time to check them out, do so.
>>
>>285195
Spellforce 1 is an incredibly fun and unique game. Highly recommended.
>>
this game seems extremely high budget compared to the amount of sales they'd get. is this THQ Nordic just bankrolling something they like?

also, i really like HOMM3, and i know this isnt turn based, but does MP scratch a similar itch?
>>
>>285327
>is this THQ Nordic just bankrolling something they like?
THQ Nordic seems to have a boner for reviving old franchises and genres. They did the same shit with Desperados, and everybody loved that game. And apparently SF 3 sold well enough, so I guess their approach is working.
>but does MP scratch a similar itch?
I wouldn't say so. It's trying to be more macro-heavy Dawn of War 1 in terms of MP. SP on the other hand is a lightweight RPG with some strong RTS elements.
>>
>>285327
>is this THQ Nordic just bankrolling something they like?
Yes actually. Grimlore studios is a pet project by one of the top THQN execs, Reinhard Pollice.
>>
>>263815
Okay I was about to make a thread to ask but here I am instead
First off, good OP, I thought the Versus "product" on Steam was a pseudo-DLC to buy after owning the main game.
I will give versus a shot, but basically I'd still like asking:
What do I unlock by buying the main game? (Multiplayer-wise is in the OP, but also singleplayer)
What's the point of the two xpacks? Steam store is pretty bland with the "X new maps, Y new items"
>>
>>286107
I guess second OP pic somewhat answered
So basically the most economic options to play MP with "full content" are either one xpack, or the MP "upgrade"?
>>
>>286107
The main game gives you access to a 30+ hour campaign and three races (humans, elves, orcs) in multiplayer/skirmish
Soul Harvest gives you access to a 20 hour campaign and five races (humans, elves, orcs, dwarves, dark elves) in multiplayer skirmish
Fallen God gives you access to a 20 hour campaign and four races (humans, elves, orcs, trolls) in multiplayer/skirmish
Versus PvP upgrade dlc gives you access to all six races in multiplayer/skirmish, but has no campaign

Hope that helps
>>
>>286172
Neat
How's the campaign? As much as I don't mind a good RTS campaign, I replayed spellforce 1 recently and damn it gets grindy sometimes. Build base, assault enemy base, enter next level.
>>
>>286175
Fallen God's campaign is amazing. The other two are great as well, but pale in comparison to FG.
>>
>>286175
Currently playing the main game and I'm blown away by the production value. The maps are stunning and the voice acting is really, really good for a game of this type. Can't comment on the xpacs, but the main campaign really gets going after the first few tedious hours
>>
>>263815
What is the significance of the hero? I loved heroes so much in WBC, but Spellforce 2 made them comparatively weak and annoying to use. Is it easy to control the hero spells and stuff or is it micromanagement on par with wc3 (which was atrocious)?
>>
So do we already have build orders, unit compositions, hero builds etc that are "meta"?
>>
>>287527

It depends on the hero and the situation but for the most part heroes aren't as game changing as something like WC3.

You need them to capture zones but that's about it for necessity. Some are tanky, some do huge damage, others have a more support focus, but your army is going to be doing most of the work, especially from the midgame onwards. The biggest utility of heroes is their hearthstone that lets you transport armies around the map periodically to get you out of a losing fight or otherwise respond to something you're far away from. You absolutely don't want to lose a hero because of the level of utility and support they can give you, but likewise losing a hero doesn't automatically mean you've lost a fight and your army can happily continue fighting and winning without them so long as they're not already battered and losing

There's quite a bit of micro in the fights in general but heroes are fairly straightforward. You'll typically only have three or so usable abilities and they're all bound to the F row so you can set off spells and abilities without actually selecting them.
>>
>>287626
You are obviously a multiplayer fag
>>
>>287573
Sort of. There are initial builds that make more economic sense than others for each race (e.g. elves need lots of wood so they build lots of wood instead of lots of stone), and the meta is trending towards early aggression so everyone's looking for ways to cut some unnecessary resources in favour of food. For instance the meta build for Elves for a long time was 3 wood 1 food to start, then you'd try to macro into T2 units by defending with your hero, and then you'd attack. But now they're going 2 wood 2 food so they can start making units faster and actually harass / fight the opponent. Similarly, humans are considered to only have one "viable" start (2 wood 1 stone 1 food, because they need a specific resource balance to upgrade stuff), but people are experimenting with weird aggro builds like 1 wood 2 food 1 barracks instead.

So right now I guess I'd say the "meta" is building lots of units early while it used to be a bit more turtly. I don't think calling it a meta is really the right word, though. I can't think of many RTSes where you can get away with having 20 supply at the 10 minute mark, which is what a lot of Spellforce games looked like until people started getting their asses handed to them by Trolls.
>>
>>287626
That clears things up, thanks anon.
>>
I played the lil tutorial/scenario and tried my hand vs a passive bot
Pretty comfy
We're coming home spellforcebros
>>
I bought Fallen God. What am I in for?
>>
>>289545
A highly immersive, memorable, and well written campaign.
>>
I have to give credits to the devs for actually allowing us to have shitty potato tier graphics when everything is set to low. So many games these days refuse to let people have potato configs and make "low" graphics look like medium quality at best.
>>
>>289557
>>289557
Played for a few hours.
Campaign is great, the writing style is wonderful. It's deeply invigorating to see that the devs wrote a thematic story and backdrop that fits the trolls instead of a woke and contemporary Mary Sue culture (so far).
There is however a lot of bad choices too.
Four heroes?! Why? They make sense for the campaign story, but dear Lord do they scale up the micro. It's just fucking stupid to have 25 abilities (with space for 12 per bar) in a fairly high paced combat scenario that also includes targeting and trying to figure out where the fuck the caster is in relation to the target. Add normal units to that with terrible pathing and NO STRATEGY for unit placement (tanks and casters are equally likely to end up in front when your squad moves to a new location). This is just not a good setup.

And also a question: Is gear actually getting better? The weapons I have seen so far seems to indicate that weapon damage is just (base weapon x levelfactor) and armor stays the same regardless of level.
>>
>>290988
Well fuck me, a lot of that was my ineptitude. Turns out you can mitigate the insane amount of abilities x 4 heroes by using the alt wheel, which can also be set to pause the game when activated. This helps a lot, though it does break the combat pacing somewhat. It also requires you to click in just the right spots which is a little bit annoying, but overall it's much better than how I originally described it.
>>
>>290988
>Four heroes?! Why? They make sense for the campaign story, but dear Lord do they scale up the micro. It's just fucking stupid to have 25 abilities (with space for 12 per bar) in a fairly high paced combat scenario that also includes targeting and trying to figure out where the fuck the caster is in relation to the target.
First off, you should keep all your heroes grouped together on the same hotkey. You should have no more than 12 abilities between all of them, not counting sustained abilities which you keep on the second hotbar. You should also have no more than 1-3 targeted abilities slotted.
Yes managing four heroes seems overwhelming at first, but with good synergy they can tip the scales against blobs 4x stronger.
>>291001
I never used that feature and can beat the AI on the highest difficulty. It wasn't in vanilla either I believe.
>>
>>291001
I take all of that back. Why the fuck can't I change the action bar while the action wheel is up? It defeats the whole purpose of simplifying the ability usage.
>>
>>291011
>you should keep all your heroes grouped together on the same hotkey.
Doesn't H already select them all?
>>
>>291096
I guess so, but I used ctrl-1 out of habit.
>>
>>291011
Yeah there are WAY more than 12 abilities needed, and then trinkets on top of that.
Akrog has Fistfuck, Chain, Unfuck Noag, and spirit thingy, as a bare minimum from spirit tree, and then Heal, Lightningfuck, Rapevines, and Firecucking, from Druid tree + 1 trinket. That's 8 for him. Zaska needs poison cloud, poison dagger thingy, and assmole from his tree, and then toss shit, boomthingy + 1 trinket. That's another 6. Gungonggang is worse, with 3 totems, detonate, blood rain, curse weapon, demonrapeform, cuntpunch, and trinket for 9. That's 23, excluding all toggles. Noag is the best, having only 3 abilities + trinket for 27 out of 24 (without toggles).

I'm not entirely sure we are talking about the same game actually.
>>
>>291559
Sounds like anon is talking about the first campaign.
>>
>>291559
>>291708
I think he means the action bar on top, theres 12 slots + 12 when you hold shift

fuck me the maps are beautiful
>>
>>291559
>Yeah there are WAY more than 12 abilities needed
No. If you are using more than 12 activated abilities in battles, you are not building your party optimally. Some abilities can be upgraded into becoming sustained, freeing up more slots on your first hotbar (one reason I like necromancers).
>I'm not entirely sure we are talking about the same game actually.
Fuck you, I've played every Spellforce campaign usually multiple times. I know this series by heart.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.