[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: unnamed (1).jpg (56 KB, 320x459)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>chris changes engines and entire gameplay design, rebuilding it from scratch
>wife leaves him halfway through development
>makes the greatest strategy game of all time
How are your games going? You bought 10 keys for 50 cents each on g2a to give to your friends now that multiplayer is up, right?
>>
>>263676
He already got it all figured out in the first game, too bad most of the important details are buried in his responses to blog comments. It surprised the first time when he basically explained that the standard for RNG percentages wasn't the only option you could use, or that one of the linchpins of his AI is an accounting spreadsheet.
>>
>>263676
I swear this game is the closest thing to a "horror RTS" that can exist due to the AI threat management and beacons for unleashing various disasters.
The whole game has this dreadful "playing with fire" feeling, and it makes strategizing all the more important.
>>
>>263688
>or that one of the linchpins of his AI is an accounting spreadsheet.
how can one man be this based
>>
>>263676
never understoond how to progress past a certain point. Are you supposed to just ignore AI sectors and suicide run your army to a valuable target?
>>
>>264655
Not so much suicide runs, but yeah using cloaking, transport ships etc to do surgical strikes works
You can "neuter" planets by killing the warp gate and all the guard posts so they become essentially harmless without having to capture it fully
>>
>>263676
You forgot that he married a financially stable doctor afterwards.
Ex-wife just couldn't handle the passion.
>>
>>263676
>changed his last name after getting married
>>
>>264682
>>264696
>>263676
i need the full, unabridged story pls no tl;dr
>>
>>264714
I don't know, game he make fun, me not care past that.
>>
>>264551
I don't know but a lot of his ideas are simple yet genius.
>>
>>265004
>simple yet genius
I wish there where more games that could be described as such.
>>
How do I beat level 7 AI? Hard mode: while trying to do the spire campaign content as well.
>>
>>266299
Is the Spire thing the alternate win condition? I think doing that completely changes how you go about it, I'm pretty sure if you defend and reactivate the relic you basically win
Normal AI 7 is all about taking like less than 12 planets in the entire match, destroying warp gates to create choke points, neutering ai planets in-between your own to travel through them, and just taking every good objective along the way. If you keep AIP low enough and stay aware of emerging threats it's doable but challenging
>>
When does it make sense to unleash the various subfactions, and what is meant by "irreparable damage"? I guess they'll try to destroy stuff like co-processors or matter generators?

Also what intensity do they spawn at if you didn't spawn them from the lobby, the AI's?
>>
Someone explain me AI War 2 in a nutshell. I keep trying to do the tutorial, lost courage half-way, and forget everything, having to do it all over again.
Is it like a mix between AI War 1 and Star Ruler 2?
>>
>>266481
yes re: intensity
You'd have to check each faction, devourer golem for example can't eat structures
I think the nanobots thing can basically fuck everything up
>>
>>267783
I haven't played star ruler 2 but they completely redid the tutorial fairly recently, I had a similar initial experience to you and have found it much better this time round
It's like ai war 1 with much less tedious micro and more interesting strategic decisions
>>
>>267783
Its basically AI War 1 minus all the annoying micro, and I think hacking is all new as well.
The only complaint I have at this point is that the fleet management UI is far too simple. A proper order of battle menu where you could shuffle around lines while looking at an overview of all of your fleets would be amazing.
>>
>>268161
Well, Star Ruler 2 is all about capital ships. If they have supplies, they can bring up smaller ships.
>>
>>268236
Oh, then yeah, pretty much. Normal units are now attached to Flagships and you move them at the fleet level by default. Starships are now Frigates which fill a slot in the Flagship's fleet, eg 2 heavy plasma raiders instead of 150 odd missile frigates. Mark level now just upgrades all ships of that type permanently and increases your capacity for that type by the same amount of ships you'd have gained under the ai war 1 system.
>>
>>268275
This is the part I have issues with, to be honest.
>>
Shame the fleet exp system never went anywhere and got scrapped.
>>
Never heard about this game before. Is it good?
>>
>>268776
It's probably the best fleet management game with the best AI out there, with great atmosphere and design in general
>>
>>265934
I'd say many games made pre-2005 fit that description very well
>>
>>268707
You can actually level up individual command units - transports, stations, officers, citadels etc - with relatively small amounts of science instead now. Haven't dumped enough into a transport command to see if its useful or not, but its definitely useful for the officer fleets, especially ones with one-off lines that can't be upgraded otherwise, or key systems that you want extra defenses on.
>>
>>268275
Fair enough, it seems to have been a controversial change for some. Personally I prefer it, as it serves the same functionality as the original game but with considerably less micro and more total ships
>>
>>268857
they're also all pretty jank
>>
File: 1435051331588.jpg (511 KB, 700x909)
511 KB
511 KB JPG
>>270406
>>
Why isn't it more popular AIbros?
>>
>>274591
Because you can't make sick 360° clips and post them on Youtube or be le epic trolle xD to randoms like in Among Us.
>>
>>274591
Difficulty
>>
>>274591
Totally unadvertised outside of the last game's Steam news page as far as I remember.
>>
What's the learning curve for this game? Is it super impenetrable?
>>
>>274926
2 is simple enough if you just take time to play the tutorials, the micro has been significantly reduced in comparison to 1. Also, as someone who tried time and time again to get into 1 and failed, I'm feeling 2 is not mechanically challenging at all (it is interesting, though) and most of the complexity comes from the choices you make while fighting the AI, which is fine desu.

I also feel ready to dive into 1 now but I won't for some time since 2 feels more polished.
>>
i'm playing this right now. not sure what i'm doing, but i'm having fun so far, got the hang of the combat finally. anyone have any beginner tips? i'm mid tutorial from what i can tell so keep that in mind. game is still unlocking functions for me but i can't tell
>how to research stuff on my own, even though i got the research tree up
>how to get two species to have trade agreements even though the tutorial mentioned it was possible
>>
Damn it really must be pretty good, thought AI War 1 was good, loved the modularity of it and how customizable your game was. Is AI War 2 on par with that?
>>
>>275133
>anyone have any beginner tips?
Have the Peltian (the cute boars) trade with as many races as possible to raise relationships. They're the weakest and will get roflstomped if anyone declares war on them.
>>
>>275324
thanks. i already have the skylaxians and the andor friendly with each other and was planning on going after the peltians next
>>
>>275315
Has just about everything from AI War AFAIK, including MP finally.
>>
>>275356
Some races can start their own federation, usually the "evil" ones, so you want them to start on good terms as quickly as possible.
>>
What do I get from levelling up troop carries/flagships with science in AI war 2? I levelled up my battlestation and saw the limit for turrets increase but I see no changes with the flagships
>>
>>275370
i actually just got out of a boss battle against one of the burlust warlords and their relations with me jumped by 60. i gather it's temporary, but i thought it was funny you mentioned it.
it's fine if i lose my first game or have it more bumpy, i just want to get the hang of it for subsequent attempts
>>
>>275373
Isn't it strike ship cap?
>>
>>275377
I meant relationships between the different races. It's relatively easy to improve your relation with the races, but it's harder to get them to like each others.
>>
>>275380
huh, well, they actually already went to war with the boarians while i was fighting the warlords so i guess i'll just see how the campaign goes from now on.
>>
>>275383
Aw shit.
Get them to trade with each others, quickly.
>>
>>274926

Tutorials are good and lower difficulty AIs weak enough so you can get a grip. Need to lose the "capture everything" strategy mindset and look carefully at the AI progress cost of everything you do.
>>
>>275385
but i started the game at the boarian planet so i'm at -100 with them. it's fine, i want to see what happens.
>>
>>275388
You should've ran away rather than destroy their ships, it hampers your progress.
>>
>>275389
will do. had to see if the game provided anything like experience or rewards for combat though.
>>
>>275413
I don't remember, but I know it does drop your relationship with the race if you blow them up. Except if they're pirates.
>>
File: 75.jpg (263 KB, 1920x1080)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
>>274591
this is what the game is in my head
what actually is it and why should i play it? i never see or hear anything about it but if /vst/ like it then im interested
>>
>>275520
>what is it?
RTS + 4x + grand strategy + tower defence. Focus on minimising more tedious forms of micromanagement and instead focusing on strategic decisions.
>why should I play it?
Great unit variety, formidable difficulty, the best AI in the genre. If you like actually strategising and trying to avoid being outsmarted by enemies you'll probably dig it. For example the AI will feign attacks on one front only to launch an assault elsewhere, or raid your less defended supply lines, etc. Beating the game on the highest difficulty is considered a bug and they ask you to submit a bug report explaining how you did it
>>
>>275520

Here's one thing that just happened a day or two ago: I had four heavily fortified systems on my border, three in a row and one a few jumps away.

Travel between systems in the game happens via wormholes. You can set up force fields that block damage and block enemy units from moving into a wormhole.

I forgot to shield one of the wormholes leading deeper into my space.

So, the AI attacked the most remote system, and while my fleets were tied up fighting, a force of fast units just beelined through my fortified system, straight through the unshielded wormhole and wrecked my unprotected hinterland.
>>
File: Itsfine.jpg (621 KB, 1919x1084)
621 KB
621 KB JPG
I-I don't feel so good boys...
>>
>>275719
I'm still learning the game but I thought I'm pretty competent by now... Anyway, I've put myself with friendly marauders (7) against an AI (7) and Scourge (7) thinking it would be a fair fight. I was using the parasite preset fleet and fighting nicely. I've spotted one of those installations where you can hack for a certain amount of time and lower the AIP, I did that for a bit, not expecting that the AI would spawn 2000 ships around it eventually and release some Global Attack protocol where most of the guard ships doing nothing around the Galaxy would switch around and attack. I had a very well fortified system (pic related) where I put all my fleets and called as much support as I could and mister AI just came in and wrecked my shit. I could muster around 1,5k ships maybe with constant production and support but the AI had around 2k from spawn and the game told me around 2k guard ships are switching into the offensive.

tl;dr

fun game got rekt
>>
>>275373
>>275378
Leveling up a flagship only improves its intrinsic ships. Regular transports don't have any of these, and so only get a level or two to make the flagship itself more durable for combat transit.
>>
>>275719
Oh god
>>
>>275544
>>275701
does it have a pause button?
if it does youve intrigued me enough to want to try it
if it doesnt id get too frustrated to play it
my new impression is that its distant worlds but fun and the ai is good
>>
>>276288
Yes, and time controls from 0.5x to 5x
>>
>>275544
>Beating the game on the highest difficulty is considered a bug and they ask you to submit a bug report explaining how you did it
And with this the game is stricken from my wishlist.
>>
>>276313
Explain
>>
>>276324
I don't care for devs that take that approach. Leans too far into Darkest Dungeon syndrome.
>>
>>276341
What do you mean?
The game is balanced and fair up to and including difficulty 9. 10 is specifically designed as a testing ground to improve the AI.
>>
>>276288

Yeah, you can pause.

More force field shenanigans I just noticed on a higher difficulty:

So, every AI system has a number of guard posts which house and replenish the AI ships, and that (IIRC) don't get rebuild. If you're outnumbered, you can try to just take out one or two guard posts, and retreat with most of your force intact to rebuild your losses, defeating the enemy piece by piece.

Unless, of course, the AI sneaks in a relief force and parks a few force field frigates right on the wormhole home. Goddamn.
>>
>>276352
Are there any in game tool tips or descriptions that can clear up the issue?
>>
>>276377
The tool tips for the difficulties have long descriptions. The game's developer plays on 7 and wins about 1/3rd of the time. From what I understand 7 is where its intelligence maxes out, while 8 and 9 get more resources and production. So you can think of 9 as the actual highest difficulty and 10 as "if you beat this, it was an exploit or oversight in the ai code that we will update and fix"
>>
>>276341

I get what you're trying to say, but you are wrong.

7 is the highest difficulty level where the AI doesn't cheat.
10 is pretty much a mix between a God Mode for the AI and a debug mode.

Consider the kind of game, it's not an even game. If the AI owns all the galaxy and decides to zero you as soon as you make a couple of moves, you'll lose.
>>
Such a shame that Stars Beyond Reach will never come out; that game looked awesome.
>>
>>276341
>>276821
>is the highest difficulty level where the AI doesn't cheat.
Difficulties adjust things like ship multipliers which is applied after the ship is made or spawned, the size of the AI's secret resource budget, the numbers for ticking its escalation game mechanic Progression, decisions it is allowed to make, etc. By old RTS standards its already cheating by difficulty 5, Difficulty 1 is for people with alzhenheimars.
>>
I don't know how complex the AI really is, but due to the nature of the game it can be really effective and surprising. In my first serious game the AI attacks remote systems when he sees my fleets engaged elsewhere, he also snuck sheathed ships into a backwater system where I forgot to get a tachyon emitter or whatever the name of that thing is. And the only thing he really did there was destroy a building that ramps up AIP and increases my ship cap.
>>
Won my first game today against a lvl 7 AI. Took 6 and a half hours and I only won because I sniped the AI HQ while his CPA was overrunning all my systems. Luckily I had a strong fortified system in front of my home system and the AI HQ, so that bought me some time.

Should I play with the Fallen spire next time, I'm not sure how it works, do I need to put them as an allied faction when I'm setting up the game, what do they do?
>>
>>277510
very nicely done. how many planets did you have at the end / what AIP?
you can set them as an allied faction for "ez mode" or you can just summon them via beacon in a normal game for the "legit" version
they add an alternate win condition and ways to enter open warfare rather than guerilla warfare for the AI. you find relics which turn into cities which provide extremely powerful ships. the AI will then summon ships from its "main war" to defend itself.
>>
File: 461.png (1.62 MB, 1920x1080)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB PNG
i just bought the game
what am i in for?
gonna be annoyed if it has a bigger sale as soon as this one ends
>>
>>277594
A good time
50% off is pretty sweet
Prepare for initial confusion and overwhelming depth. Do the tutorials. You want to be surgical. Every planet captured takes 20 ai progress, where every 100 or so represents a significant difficultly increase.
You can leave AI controlled planets in between your own if they don't have anything worth capturing. Just destroy the guard posts
>>
>>277572
I had around 390 AIP, and maybe 10 planets. The most epic battle probably wasn't agains the AI HQ but around the AI installation that let's you lower AIP by 0,2 per sec if you know what I mean. I liked how the AI starts pulling in bigger stuff from the "main war" when you annoy him enough.

Btw. what are wormhole invasions, is it as bad as it sounds like? Can they warp into my main planet even if they don't have a direct connections. I was playing with a lot of chokepoints and reached the threshold for wormhole invasions bot nothing ever happened.
>>
>>277621
i did the tutorials and i still have no idea what is going on
so i can leave the command stations alive? presumably i want to blow up the warp gates right?
it seems like i cant just directly strengthen my mobile fleets and i need to hack new ship lines and put them in transport slots. This is what i really dont get right now
is there any reason other than energy not to max out my turrets and frigate stations. It seems like its tied to the command station and is on a per-system basis
>>
File: meirl.jpg (140 KB, 1310x679)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>277762
Concerning the command station the AI uses - in an ideal situation you would just destroy them all, but this is not an ideal situation, the AI controlls the galaxy. You gotta think yourself waging a galactic guerilla war, you don't want too much attention. That's why you have to figure when it's worth to pay the 20 AIP points to actually destroy an AI command station. Because if you do too much of it your AIP goes up and that means you have the attentation of the AI - which you don't want. It's a balancing act between getting as much territory without raising your AIP so high that the AI just curb stomps you.

There are buildings you can hack or capture around the galaxy that increase your ship cap or give you new ships.

As for the turrets - initially there are not many reasons to max them out but later it becomes a balancing act between having enough energy for ships and turrets because everything costs. So you want chokepoints. For example, a choke point with a Military command HQ is great for defense, where you want to have economic or logistic stations in your back where you aren't directly threatened by the AI. But the AI has tricks so it's not always that easy.
>>
>>277962
yeah i think i figured it out a bit more but its still strange to me how my forces work
i dont seem to have a direct way to increase my offensive capabilities beyond tech. I essentially "steal" my units from the ai by hacking or controlling things
my initial idea is to try and sweep an area clean, take chokepoint systems and fortify them and then go through and clear out systems i can easily defend to generate power
to what extent is micro important? im having a hard time commanding my units and it doesnt seem very helpful to even try either. I suppose if i knew which targets to focus fire it would be more useful
>>
>>277998
Play more and you'll get what to and what not to. As for micro, I usually put my units in purse mode (v), a red aura should appear around your units when you select them when this is on, and I micro some heavier units if I really want to focus someone down. But this game is more about numbers than microing single ships.
>>
>>277998
Micro is mostly unimportant outside of specific situations like blocking a wormhole with a forcefield. Generally attack move (x) and moving the whole blob in the general direction is enough if you're in a strategically sound position. Once you've dealt with the bulk of the forces on a planet put your guys into pursuit (v) so they just clean up the guard posts
>>
>>278058
yeah i pretty much just used pursue mode outside of systems where i wasnt sure id just win to keep my units under my forcefields
generally the only micro i found useful was focusing down the big dire ships or using my fusion bombers to snipe units with high shields
>>278249
>Micro is mostly unimportant outside of specific situations like blocking a wormhole with a forcefield.
i figured that one out as well
i found it handy to be able to block off the wormholes in my chokepoint systems to stop the ai just rushing past my defences

i managed to win pretty easily. Im not sure what the difficulty was but it was whatever the scenario 1 is set to; i think it was 4
the game seems to mostly be about trying to 'trick' the ai into thinking youre weak by keeping aip down while you go around hacking to build up strength until youre powerful enough to throw yourself at it or can orchestrate a crippling alpha strike
i couldve probably won faster but i thought the ai would have a big trick up its sleeve. It was fun though albeit way less complicated than i expected
>>
>>278389
Game starts at difficulty 7.
>>
>>278389
I believe the AI has its capabilities locked down until difficulty 7. I finished my first game on difficulty 6 the other day and it felt like I was ahead of the AI by the end, less than 300 AIP even after destroying the AI's home guard posts.
>>
>unleash nanocaust
>it captures 10 AI planets within like 20 minutes
>now borders my chokepoint planet
OH FUUUUUUUUUCK
>>
>>278389
>i found it handy to be able to block off the wormholes in my chokepoint systems to stop the ai just rushing past my defences

Also very useful to keep enemies from escaping. Every ship you don't kill is a ship you'll have to face later.
>>
damn, the AI overlord has 500 strength, all my guys combined are about 200. I was hoping to keep AIP low but looks like I'll have to go capture like 5 fleets
>>
File: 1508688163842.gif (123 KB, 480x270)
123 KB
123 KB GIF
>>263676
>AIWar2.exe has stopped working
I guess I'll play the first game instead.
>>
Every time you hit a new AI mark level it feels pretty liberating, in a "well, the seal's broken" sense, time to rip and tear and steal some more flagships.
>>
>>278557
>10 AI planets within like 20 minutes
Holy...
>>
>>278557

Sounds great - I'm planning to unleash the Nanocaust just before going after the AI overlord, that might shake things up.
>>
>>279808
see if you can decode them for a laugh, I tried but it immediately spawns like 550 strength of bots. damn it'd be worth it though
>>
File: file.png (2.25 MB, 1599x1053)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB PNG
FUCK YEAH
first win
diff 7
>>
>>280247
Congrats!
>>
I released the Nanobois against an AI allied with Scourge and they got rekt. They held a few systems but the Scourge is just insane now.
>>
Man parasites and other zombifying stuff is great, especially with stuff like Outguard beacons where enemy spawn in waves, I still got a solid 30 seconds of hacking left and have something like 1k zombies in the system.
>>
>>280873

Also, I would really enjoy a "zombie attractor" kind of flagship that all the zombies on the map, your's and the AI's, just stumble towards.
>>
>>264551
This fact has caused me to check it out
>>
File: 20201126234022_1.jpg (461 KB, 1920x1080)
461 KB
461 KB JPG
The game was me and civ industry against two lvl 7 random AIs. I fucked up after killing the first, raising my AIP too high, steadily getting pushed back. I knew I was fucked so I went all out, hacked a scourge beacon and made them allies, got the spire things and released the Nanobois. I barely snipped the enemy lord last second since waves were getting over 1k strength which I could barely hold with all my stuff and outguard support.

tl; dr watch your AIP
>>
File: 20201126234302_1.jpg (504 KB, 1920x1080)
504 KB
504 KB JPG
>>281206
I was about to get shafted so hard by the AI and the all out attack with saved up outguard fleet barely made it. Btw, I think civ industry is a bit OP.
>>
File: 20201126234426_1.jpg (486 KB, 1920x1080)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
>>281210
>>281206
I was very disappointed by the Nanoguys, they initially got rekt in their starting system by an AI wave and later they were just sitting around in this system with 5k strength. They could've easily expanded but they chose not to.
>>
>>281206
Nicely done
>>
First win against a 7 AI, was easier than I thought once I got good choke points set up.
>>
>>281304
Damn, nice work. I've only managed to do it with really low AIP, like under 100 before going for homeworld
>>
This shit is so good with a buddy. Raider fleet and parasite fleet scooting all over the place
>>
>>281393

Cheers mate. My AIP was quite a bit lower before blowing up the core world, and right before my assault I took a few outguard posts in quick succession and then waited for a nice big CPA to deplete the guard posts.

"Quick succession" seem to be the magical words for this game... every time I expanded, I basically did a big push towards the next chokepoint all at once, keeping just below the next AI mark limit.
>>
>>281682

Also, <100 AIP? That's insane, how did you get a good amount of fleets and tech together?
>>
>>281683
Oh, I mean total AIP after reductions. I got lucky and had two major data centres for 60 each and then 3 or 4 normal ones for 20 each. So I had an AIP floor of like 96 or something, managed to stay under mark 2 until the homeworld assault. I went for every research station I could, captured only like 11 planets, 5 or 6 of which had fleets, teched up hard as I could and then deepstruck the homeworld with 4 outguard mercenary guys. It took me 3 retreat and returns to finish the homeworld. It had 500ish strength to my 250 but I used fat blobs of weak units to protect my little raider/siege fleet which flew around taking the guard posts one at a time. Also I activated the nanocaust and resistance fighters beacons. So overall probably a bit cheesy/lucky.
I think you're right about quick succession. I'm gonna try that in my new campaign. About to hit mark 2 so I might do the coprocessors then work my way up to a fat chokepoint
>>
>>281692

Oooh that is a very nice strategy... I sort of set out with something similar in mind, but when I saw the Fleet Research Centers had those fighters which would massively speed buff my forcefield frigates (and rest of the fleet) I threw that out the window and build a forcefield and zombification based fleet. Going to try that again on difficulty 8.
>>
File: blob.png (460 KB, 689x710)
460 KB
460 KB PNG
So I decided to put my entire fleet on my cloaked flagship... the turbo raiders make everything super fast, the ultima bombers are giving 1.5 hull strength and 1.5 attack power to everything. Going to experiment with maxing out flagship level and see whether I can just go anywhere on the map.
>>
>>282428
You can't because the game will shit a 5k power "reserve" fleet at you if you go more than 2 or 3 systems deep from the last system you own.
>>
>>282667

Cloaked ships don't trigger the Deep Strike mechanism, so you just sneak around, unload your fleet and get a grace period of 120 seconds to do whatever. I just stole some stuff from a system two jumps away from the AI homeworld.
>>
This thread has made me buy this game, good work anons
>>
>>283030
It's a good game honestly, and the dev deserves support. Even I bought it and I only do when I really want to support some dev because I usually pirate.
>>
>>283030
>>283346
Dangerously based
>>
Oh man difficulty 8 is not fucking about. I'm not even at AI tier 2 yet and there's 100+ strong garrisons, ion eyes, alarm posts etc absolutely everywhere.
>>
Nanobois vs Macrophage? Which is better to release if you want to mess with the AI
>>
What are your favourite starting fleets? I went for doorkicker for a while which was cool, but parasitic fleet seems to be the best imho
>>
>>285750

I love the parasites, will carry you through the entire game.
>>
>>285750
I love parasitic. Word on the forums seems that cloak and parasite are all people use on diff10
>>285103
Haven't tried macro but nanobois were an extremely useful distraction on diff7
>>
+20 AIP
>>
>>263713
>horror RTS
>Not TBS
shame
>>
>>277233
Giving the AI a nice bag of tricks is enough to make a game memorable and challenge. I consider AI War similar to FEAR in that respect.
>>
>>286907
NOOOO
>>
I realized while messing about in the custom game setup that you can assign the third party factions to their own team, so I decided to go with 3 int7 Marauders each on their own team (and I'm playing against difficulty 7 AI).
I've taken my surrounding area to set up my defensive line/econ zone and did some deep strikes to fill out my parasite build with damage dealers. Each time I had to fight my way back home through marauders.
It's great, but they haven't been able to build up yet since they have a three-way fight to the death over every system I clear and leave, then the AI raids them within a few minutes to clear the winner out. I can't tell if this is going to be really easy or get really hard if one of them can hold onto territory for a while. There's also a Zenith Trader roaming about, can the Marauders buy from him?
>>
>>275133
Avoid having your favourite race killing and conquering the undesirables. They end up becoming the Galactic Empire and you have to fight them if u wanna win
>>
I know CIV industry is a mod, but it ships with the game nowadays. I mean, it seems really OP, even with the wormhole raids it tends to spawn. The CIV industry is mostly strong enough to handle anything beyond your frontline and they can be really useful when they actually decide to invade a system with you. They almost seem like a player scourge.
>>
https://youtu.be/enECtpMn-P4
How does this game have such good tunes?
>>
Sometimes the AI sends way more unit to you than what it's supposed to do. I just got attacked with almost 100 strength and I conquered only one planet.
>>
>>289575
was it from the threat/hunter fleet?
>>
>>289578
I didn't check, it was too early in to the game. I attacked a couple of planet so it might have accumulate threat there.
>>
My biggest problem with this game is that there are way too many ship types and you never know what to get. I usually just look at what's around my starting planet and just use and upgrade those ships for the rest of the game. I think that it would be better if there was a research tree for ships instead of this system where you can get randomly any one of them.
>>
>>289580
yeah I learned from several defeats that if you attack a planet you better wipe them out or you'll end up with huge threat waves very early. makes sense, they know about you now because they saw you.
>>289592
I think you just learn the ship types over time, when in doubt just get stuff that's already upgraded from your tech choices. I think the whole "make the best of what you got" is a big part of the game
>>
Filtered
>>
>>290423
This literally never happens to me, if I have a chokepoint planet the Hunter and Warden fleets will literally blob in the neighboring system waiting for the CPA or possible opportunities.
>>
File: 1585054040381.png (2 MB, 1919x1079)
2 MB
2 MB PNG
First game I played after watching a youtube playthrough to teach me the basics, difficulty 5. I got pretty cocky at the end, since I had been able to keep AIP under 120 (which is the threshold for tech 2 on difficulty 5) and was feeling powerful without much pressure from the AI. Boy, the final fight with phase 2 was harder than I thought, and I thought I might get attacked through a backdoor somewhere while I was whittling the base down. Probably would've if I was on 6 or 7.
>>
>>293138
What playthrough did you watch?
>>
File: 1581622196777.png (3.43 MB, 1919x1079)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB PNG
And my empire map. I wasn't really sure how to expand at first, just taking some systems I thought were defensible enough to prop up my economy, but eventually I started taking some further out systems. I was able to lock down a co-processor (I think? the one that reduces AIP when you hold it) and then was able to expand further from the exploration. I saved up a ton of science starting out, since I wanted to specialize in the units I captured, but in the end I probably held on too long waiting to see if any powerful units would show up somewhere I couldn't see, and I ended up just stacking everything into 2 fleets. Probably took a lot longer that way.

>>293141
One of Strategic Sage's. I think I looked for the earliest one I could find since I thought it would be better for having no existing knowledge, but there's probably been a lot of changes since 1.0, with how active the dev is.
>>
>>293144
>>293138
Very nice. I'd say you could go straight to 7 from there. What kind of ships?
>>
>>293144
>10k science unused
Bruh
>>
I love AI War 2, how do I get into 1 though? The fleet transport system is such a qol improvement that I fail to see how to go without it in 1
>>
>>293372
>how do I get into 1 though?
Short answer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk-7Bzu-s3s
It's worth it in the end, but it won't be easy.
>The fleet transport system is such a qol improvement that I fail to see how to go without it in 1
Put ship lines and factories producing them in the same control group, don't put ship lines you don't want to move together in the same control group (example, snipers and melees go on different groups so you don't accidentally move your snipers to the frontlines), have separate control groups for the transports used by such fleets and other utility ships (engineers, mobile builders, you get the idea), learn how to use the teleport gates to get reinforcements quickly.

Broadly speaking, in 1 you shouldn't rely too much on mid-battle ship rebuilding, and you should often use turrets offensively.
>>
>>293158
Closer to midgame I picked up some tech vaults for splash/disruptive, which boosted some MLRS ships I had, but I ended up putting some points into melee after I found some zombification ships and auto bombs after I had already maxed out heavy hulls. Before I took on the AI, I captured 2 special fusion bombers for 80 AIP each, and expanded each with fleet extenders (for some reason I had gone the entire game thinking they were 60 hacking and had held off until the end to use them up). I ended up maxing out disruptive and getting fusion to 3/4, with only heavy hulls getting any points. Also, I remember I picked up some forcefield frigates early on and used them to bully ships by stacking them all on one fleet and being basically untouchable with everything inside.

>>293277
I swear I only had 500 unspent when I started fighting the overlord.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.