[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 66 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 5zef64kuom021.png (341 KB, 920x430)
341 KB
341 KB PNG
Reminder
Pagans are beginners traps (except africans)
Christianity is incredibly OP if you don't buy into memeshit like heresies and satanic cults
>>
>>254669
>implying tengri aren't op as fuck with nomads with their +30% attack and defense on light cav.
>>
>>254671
and then your character dies, and then you die again because your regent plotted to kill you and he won't let you arrest him, causing your horde to fall apart within a few years
>>
>>254679
>being this bad at managing vassals
>>
Am I missing anything by only having the first half of the expansions?
>>
>>254669
>Christianity is incredibly OP
So it is more satisfying beating them with Pagans
>>
>>254669
>christianity is incredibly OP
Only catholics really.
Orthodox, miaphysites and nestorians get screwed and don't even get crusades.
>>
bro just play ck3
>>
>>254669
Zoroastrianism is incredibly OP if you manage to become Saoshyant and get legalism 3. Your mobad will hand you Arabia, Anatolia and Syria on a platter for your horse archer swarms to devour and when the Mongols come you'll have so many troops that they won't dare to declare war on you at all (which is sort of a moot point since they usually get coalitioned to death long before reaching Persia).
>>
>>254783
Aren't horse archers shit though? I usually go full light cav with some heavy cav mixed in later.
>>
>>254669
Nah, Germanic pagans are really powerful.
>>
>>254805
Yeah. Horse archers are almost always trigger tactics that are detrimental for them, and they have poor tactical synergy with other unit types.
>>
>>255049
This too. Sailing downriver to raid Venice never gets old.
Even Romuva isn't that bad since you get eldership succession instead of memey gavelkind.
>>
>>254679
Answer to this is to fuck a ton of people (concubines, seduction focus, waif too) and you'll have so many family members that this situation is impossible. Go all Genghis Khan on the world where pretty much everyone is related to you in some way lol.
>>
>>254679
>i am bad at the game
pagans are ridiculously op
christians have huge roadblocks and before crusades became crazy money milking missions they had pretty much zero advantages
>>254783
by the time zoroastrianism becomes good it doesnt matter what religion you are
>>
>>255049
>>255057
And then playing against them with raids enabled and you want to genocide all of them.
I stopped trying to reconquer Roman Empire az Bizantium just to subjugate all n*rdics
>>
>>254669
The chad way to play though, really is the Shia's 'master of shadow' strategy
>groom your heir to be Intrigue focused
>join the assassins
>secretly convert to shia
>leave the assassins
>form a secret society to spread shia (the Party of Ali)
>convert your entire Duchy/small kingdom to the true faith secretly

And now you need to use some game sense
>IF the Umayyads are winning, now is the time to declare your allegiance to the prophet (pbuh) and seek shelter with your muslim brothers

>IF They're losing, rejoin the assassins
>build up assassin power until you get the 'spawn the army of shadows' decision
>convert, destroy the holy war that is no doubt being called on you, and prepare a few holy wars of you own on your now heathen neighbors

Congrats, you are now on the path to control of Europe. and your conversion just firmly destablilized the Catholic faith: Expect either the Sunnis to rise up, the Tengri to roll in, or the Orthodox to become the Bulwark of Christianity.
>>
>>254669
Reforming germanic is literally free as a scandi country and raiding is the most powerful mechanic in the game what the fuck are you talking about.
>>
>>254669
How many hours have you put in OP?
>>
>>254702
>Only catholics
Catholicism has the unfortunate fate of being tied to that faggot in rome. It's also so expansive and its nations are so weak that MA drops to low 30s at BEST within ten years of the game starting. You don't get particularly good inheritance laws, can only have a single wife making bloodlines extremely frail in comparison to polygamous or concubine-taking religions, and divorces can be impossible and force you to kill your wife when she gets old and barren. Catholic crusades aren't even that good compared to a reformed pagan GHW, being tied to the fucking pope again.
>>
>>255431
The pope is the reason Catholics are OP compared to everyone else, if you're pious enough you can just ask him for claims instead of waiting for years to fabricate one or pressing a vassals claim, christians in general have it better since they don't have a free CB against each other, meaning they aren't at constant war with each other
>>
>>255595
>if you're pious enough you can just ask him for claims instead of waiting for years to fabricate one or pressing a vassals claim
Most pagans have pretty decent tribal or horde CBs, and then they can get holy wars fairly easily on top.
>christians in general have it better since they don't have a free CB against each other, meaning they aren't at constant war with each other
Is this an actual problem past the first 40ish years? Most pagans besides tengri are fairly easy to almost wholly consolidate in one or two generations. Internal wars creating a threatening vassal is more of an issue, granted, but that's never been unmanageable in my experience.
>>
>>255621
the subjugation CB becomes shit once you become duke since it turns everyone you subjugate into a vassal, then when you get enough to make a kingdom you have a dozen vassals who hate you with no way to remove them, they also have to deal with mountains (if we're talking about the norse)
>>
>>255628
I usually play Sweden with the assured strong first successor and the easymode CB any more. I've never had a problem with anyone hating my guts, except for the finnish invasions before I get the holy war CB from reforming.
>>
>>254691
Depends where you generally like to play.
>>
Okay what is the most OP reformed pagan religion?

I'm planning on going peaceful+civilized and I need one more attribute to round it out. Is stability or equality a total waste?
>>
>>254669
>start in Charlemagne era
>Muslims eat everywhere
uhuh, sure christianity is better than the Umadbro and the Abba-born-in-the-purple byzantium caliphate.
>>
>>255927
Charlemagne start date is broken, Karloman always gets excommunicated because the AI doesn't want to give land to the pope, so all of his vassals hate him and results in constant revolts, and the process repeats with every ruler
>>
>>255628
Just county conquer their neighbours and grant them the land nigga.
>>
>>255879
Hellenic + Unyielding + Civilized + Stability + Temporal
You can't designate an heir if you're the Roman Empire but by that point it doesn't matter anymore since you just grant multiple viceroyalty kingdoms to your councillors and they love you so much it's easy to get who you want in power.
>>
>>254691
Absolutely get Holy Fury. It's the best one both in terms of content and quality.
You get reworked crusades, pagan reformation, warrior lodges, bloodlines.
>>
Is there any reason to choose anything but Temporal when reforming?
>>
>>255982
"anything but" things are boring complaincement gaming things so its just boring, especially if you do single player and not multi
>>
>>255963
Crusaders rework was with DLC related patch and is in base game now
>>
>>256107
Oh, well. The other stuff is still great, even if some of it is OP.
>>
>>255982
>not being a chad who picks autonomous
>>
>>255982
Can you actually declare crusades if you put yourself in charge?
>>
>>256294
Great Holy Wars, and yeah
Gotta wait for Christfags or muzzies to get their crusades/jihads though. Easy to way to trigger that is take Jerusalem or Rome.
>>
>>256294
Yeah but Great Holy Wars are basically regular wars for kingdom titles, they don't have any unique mechanics like the Crusades
>>
>>255927
>attack Abbamemes
>find sword of mohamed
>give it to the chinks for 5000 grace
>have them shatter abbablob
Probably the funniest shit I've done in this game
>>
File: ck2_34.png (1.91 MB, 1366x768)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB PNG
>pass medium tribal authority
>mass conversion requirements says I don't have medium tribal authority
>get cancer 3 months later
Epic
>>
>>256968
Did it go through a council? if not then it's bugged and you just need to click it again, it happens sometimes
>>
>>256981
It did go through the council but I had to wait until I could change crown laws again. Then it changed from medium to low and I had to upgrade it again for it to finally work
>>
>>256269
I want Bloodlines
>>
Why did I suddenly start a revolt? I'm apparently the leader and literally everyone else joined me
>>
>>255431
Gavelkind isn't much of a problem as long as you have free investiture as you can just make all unwanted adult sons into priests.
>>
>>257401
wouldn't that just weaken your dynasty?
>>
>>257401
Or wait until other sons stars plotting something, put them in prisons and send to Holy Order
>>
>>257430
Yeah, it does very much rely on that your eldest/elected son survive and will produce sons of his own which can put you in a tough spot. One way to get around it is by marrying and granting titles to every male dynasty member you start with who isn't your son thereby ensuring that your dynasty will have another branch that can serve as a backup, but alot of rulers don't start with a cousin, a brother or an uncle.
>>
>>257430
>not making your son into the POPE
>>
File: ugh.png (2.18 MB, 1360x768)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB PNG
how to get out of this alive /vst/? I had to convert to the local heretic religion because sunni is at 24% moral authority
im planning on killing all the split up counts in sicily and forming a kingdom but I JUST know im gonna get crusaded/holy war'd to oblivion by the HRE
wat do?
>>
>>257841
Become a Christchad, heathen.
>>
How do you guys keep track of your extended family after a few generations?

Also what is the highest level you can get your desmense to with all gimmicks?
>>
>>257841
I don't have a solution because I don't play as m*slims but what's your goal for this campaign?
>>
So apparently close family non aggression pacts extend outside of your dynasty. I wanted to revoke a title from a vassal but apparently I had accidentally signed anon aggression pact with him years ago before conversion. I had no idea who the people in the pact were but it was with said vassal's sister and some random nephew that borders me
>>
>>254669
I'm a nomad and have like a 50k personal retinue alone with my khagan. Should I try invading China? I know you can easily split their stacks since the AI is retarded so I know defeating them shouldn't be a problem. The only problem is lack of supply since nomad holdings have garbage supply due to lack of castles and/or cities, and my military org is only 4 I think.
>>
>>258946
I think the chinese are hardcoded to always have at least double your troop count, the game also applies a supply penalty
>>
>>258979
Yeah I'm not really worried about their troop numbers. I should be able to beat them with troop bonus stacking from my nomad capital along with the chinese general traits I gave my commanders, along with my OP retinue composition. I'm going to build a bunch of personal holdings in the eastern area to increase my supply limit
>>
>>259046
When I mentioned a supply penalty I mean the game applies a supply penalty no matter where you are while you're at war with the chinese
>>
>>257883
I don't.
>>
>>257883
Roman Emperor can easily go up to 9 or 10 counties if you keep educating your heirs with stewardship.
>>
>>257883
Demense is honestly less important as you blob more and more since your overpowered retinue will do the majority of the killing later on. If you want to restore the Roman borders I recommend high diplomacy later on since your vassal limit will quickly run out otherwise. In the early game yeah stewardship is still the go to while your retinue is relatively weak.
>>
Do you guys just put up with the constant council power wars or do you just give in and give them what they want?
>>
>>260865
1. Name only people who love you
2. Abolish council power
>>
>>260999
>1. Name only people who love you
they die and then their heirs hate me or I die and they hate me heir
>2. Abolish council power
council power is abolished, it's why they're having these wars in the first place
>>
>aztecs are OP in the game normally
>figure I'd give them a try
>they start as unreformed pagan and their holy places are all over the map
why
>>
>>261026
That's why they tend to convert and you end up with Aztec popes so often.
>>
>>260865
The only way to not have to deal with them at all is being liked by your significant vassals, which depending on your realm size can either mean be liked by everyone or bribing the right people.

The alternatives can also be:
1. Using those extra +2 demesne from abolishing council power to get ~4k or however many levies you can get and see if that makes you more powerful than the faction. This mostly works only for medium-sized realms.

2. Try to arrest key members of the faction (probably your most powerful vassals) and fight them independently to diminish the power of the faction before it fires.

3. Give into their demands; Generally, you're better off directly raising the council power instead of accepting demands through the faction interface. I haven't looked into the files, but from what I can tell having an abolished council is a big influence in how much your vassals want to join the faction, as opposed to limiting the council to only pass laws and keeping the other powers to yourself.

4. Depending on your financial situation, often it's a good idea to let the faction fire, hire mercenaries or inflate your strength in any way and defeat them. Being able to revoke every single title after is extremely useful to rebalance your realm into a favourable position to you, just don't get lazy when redistributing the titles and make it as easy as possible for you to control your new vassals.
>>
>>261183
As an ending comment to this that I feel a lot of people miss, the cooldown for passing laws when you have an abolished council is 10 years, but when the council participates in lawmaking it goes down to only 5 years.
This pretty much means that having an abolished council for the purpose of pushing a legislative agenda is most of the time a BAD idea, and would take much longer than the 5 years + short time spent coaxing your council into agreeing with you.
If you prepare the council to like you before the cooldown is even over, you're essentially pushing through double the laws you would pass with an abolished council, which really makes a difference if you're in a rush for whatever reason. The true main reason to have an abolished council is pretty much only the +2 demesne, which loses a lot of value in large realms and ends up not being useful in the long run.

It's fun to rp as an absolute monarch but realistically it's almost never the best choice, except when you're at the beggining of the game or playing tall (Portugal, Frisia, any fun small kingdom, custom or de jure).
>>
>>254669
Islam is better for individual campaigns because of Open succession but Catholic crusades can be pretty great
>>
>>261183
>4. Depending on your financial situation, often it's a good idea to let the faction fire, hire mercenaries or inflate your strength in any way and defeat them. Being able to revoke every single title after is extremely useful to rebalance your realm into a favourable position to you, just don't get lazy when redistributing the titles and make it as easy as possible for you to control your new vassals.
I've been mainly doing this one, the problem is that for some reason, I'm only allowed to revoke a single title before it's considered "tyranny", so I'm forced to ransom them and give their duchy to someone else, where they'll revolt and win and then the cycle repeats
>>
>>261021
>it's why they're having these wars in the first place
Wait, you seriously can't deal with an uprising? Just build up your demesne, fill it with castles and you should be able to defeat any rebelling vassal easily
>>
File: file.png (33 KB, 1142x247)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>261271
Just to be clear, you're not forced to ransom anyone. Imprisoned vassals can't join factions, so keeping them in jail makes them unable to act in any significant way against you, and allows you to get stronger.
Generally the only times it's worth it to ransom a vassal are when you really need the money, when they don't have a big opinion malus and when they're old, preferably more than one of these conditions being met at once.

I was also going to say that how title revocation works is that you can either take away either one or two of their biggest titles (if they have more than one, obviously) or just two small ones, for example:
Taking 2 counties from a duke or taking their single duchy.
Taking 2 duchies from a great duke or taking two counties.
Taking 2 duchies/counties from a vassal king or taking their only kingdom.
Taking 2 kingdoms from a great king or taking 2 counties/duchies

I really thought this was how it worked, but the wiki apparently says something totally different (pic related).

So that comes back to alternative 2, which is generally my preffered approach anyways due to most of the time being easier to manage than fighting against a large rebellion.

Regardless, be aware that often it can actually be better to take a county than a duchy from a duke. Power comes from land, and taking their demesne away is often much more effective than taking away however many troops and tax they were getting from their vassals.

>>261300
Have you never had a realm larger than ireland or a medium kingdom? Big realms get a lot harder to manage, sometimes you conquer a bit more land than you should and suddenly have a lot of angry vassals looking at you. Or alternatively, you just have a really hateable ruler, and those 130k vassal troops rebelling will easily crush your "massive" 20k.
>>
>>261319
Don't the vassals that hate you also join the revolt if you fail to imprison/revoke someone?
>>
>>261319
Rebellions are even easier to deal with in large realms because you can sustain a large standing retinue in addition to your own levies.
>>
>>261331
To be 200% honest with you, I have no idea.
I vaguely remember having that happen to me once or twice, but generally I only fight the vassal I tried to imprison.
Maybe it only happens when it's the faction leader?

>>261339
Your retinue will never match the combined forces of your vassals in any really big realms, unless you're talking about going beyond raw numbers and into trying to game the shitty combat mechanics.

I don't really think it's fun to spend too much of my game time looking at spreadsheets to optimise my tactic percentages and taking very good care with appointing each commander and all that stuff, so I'd rather just deal with it in the other 4 ways I pointed out. It's just easier and simpler to care for than having to fight all or half of my realm every 5 years, even if it's winnable.
>>
>>261349
There is almost no circumstance in which you will ever fight the combined might of ALL your vassal at once. But even if you have to fight most of them you should still easily be able to win through having superior commanders, superior troop composition, and by virtue of being a player.
>>
>play in africa and mass convert
>no troops
>constant have to deal with revolts because no troops
>constantly get attacked by north africans but no troops
>always beat the hardships but barely any money to get troops
Bros I just want to do Daura to Rome
>>
>>261319
>20k
Lol. First up, if you are playing a large domain and don't have artifacts boosting all your stats to absurd levels, you're playing it wrong. Second, if you haven't ousted all foreigner dynasties from your empire, you are playing it wrong. Third, if you only have 20k troops you are playing it wrong, you should have your retinue up and ready.

Even if your vassals have more trops then you, they need to pool them together so if you rek them before they can unite, even a big revolt is manageable.
>>
>>262032
Just having both a large retinue and personal demesne levy should give you enough troops to dissuade most revolts.
>>
File: ck2_35.png (2.17 MB, 1366x768)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB PNG
>>
anyone else feel like custom characters should be allowed achievements, too" they should have made it like EU4 where you're only allowed some of the achievements and not all of them
>>
>>257883
You don't need to keep track on extended family unless you are autistic about it and want to spread even more, trying to breed good traits in and keep bad traits out. Well I'm doing that and it can be chore to try and get hundred distant family members married

>>259140
I actually had to roll back one Centralization reform as Roman Empire just to get bigger vasal limit
>>
>>262224
Well makes sense since most characters are random and only few achievements depend on starting as particular culture or rare religion like Hellenism.
>>
For those that care, I'm continuing an ongoing Khitan migration AAR on /gsg/. It's very long so if you haven't followed along to this point it's not possible to get caught up in a single day, but it's not terribly complicated so you should be able to follow along as I post if you'd like, even if you're not familiar with what's happening. The archive for the story so far is here: https://imgur.com/a/k57kNPu

>>>/vg/313862045
>>
>>262579
>hip
yikes
>>
>>262596
HIP is the best way to play the game, can't take any opinion to the contrary seriously. With full SWMH it's not a good mod, but I'm using mini.
>>
File: 1575913648545.jpg (99 KB, 770x1000)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
Please tell me ideas for fun campaigns, I started playing for the first time a while ago and just finished my campaign starting as the kingdom of Asturias during the Reconquista and ended up creating the Holy Roman Empire. Now I want some more comfy times in christian kingdoms, anyone got cool ideas? Mods?
>>
>>262609
HIP is too railroady and autistic to be enjoyable
>>
>>262727
How do you even argue that HIP is railroady? HIP has barely any railroading, the only railroading it has is to permit historical outcomes to occur if the original game mechanics didn't allow for them at all. Everything else is up to chance.
>>
>>262734
heavy restriction on custom kingdom creation and reformation, for one
>>
>>262758
Reformations are harder, yes. Though that's not railroading, they can still happen, you just need more holy sites OR higher moral authority. That's realism, not railroading.

The custom kingdoms thing is bullshit though. That restriction doesn't exist at all if you have the competency to select your own options at game start. That's a vanilla feature which HIP only modifies. You can turn it to whatever setting you want, including no restrictions on everything for both you and the AI.
>>
>>262723
Only christian kingdoms?
A type of campaign I always enjoyed is playing veeery tall and spreading minority cultures. The dutch are a prime example; extending dutch culture to normandy, estabilishing "proto-colonies/protectorates" on the middle east+north africa and conquering pretty much all islands on the game except for britain was really, really fun.

Other kingdoms that fit this really well are Portugal, Sicily, Greece... the list goes on, it's just a way to play that always brings me a good time.

Alternatively, you could try to play some of the german formable kingdoms, making switzerland or the archduchy of austria are always fun playthroughs with a lot of space for roleplaying (or not).

Besides these (and assuming you're only talking about european christians), there are many options but a lot end up in a similar way your game did, making a large empire over time. If you don't mind that, it's always fun to play in england or france and extend your empire over (a)historical lands, Italy/Lombardy and conquering all of Italia or a balkan kingdom and making a proto-yugoslav empire.

I haven't messed with mods a lot so I can't give you many suggestions related to those, maybe other anons can help.
>>
>>262766
>That restriction doesn't exist at all if you have the competency to select your own options at game start.
pretty sure you can't change the fact that creating custom kingdoms and empires require both the title and holdings requirement, while in vanilla you only needed to fulfill one of them
>>
>>254669
I haven't played a Dane playthrough in a few years, did one of the DLCs screw over raiding or something? I thought it was one of the easiest playthroughs, after consolidating your lands you have basically infinite money from raiding and get to neuter whichever future great power you decide to bully, though that has resulted in some funny blobs from unsuspecting groups
>>
>>262723
convert to Christianity and survive as the Avars
>>
So what do you guys do once you unlock duchy viceroyalties? I'm considering starting a civil war on purpose to strip everyone of their titles.
>>
I've been having quite a bit of fun with my hellenic Greek run. I regularly have a desmense of about 15 and the entirety of the kingdom of thrace plus Nicea. I wish founding an empire didnt stop border movement.

So is there any downside to turning all your coastal baronies into cities for max retinue spam?
>>
>>263321
Absolutely nothing, it's too much of a hassle to deal with for too small a benefit if you have a realm larger than a couple kingdoms.
You're going to be giving it all back as inheritable titles soon enough anon, unless you really like spending a lot of time giving away titles.

Kingdom viceroyalties are good though, both for gameplay and roleplaying purposes.
>>
>>263338
What do you mean turn them into cities? You mean to build a city and make it the capital holding?

Besides the obvious part that you're going to have way less levies, the fort level of cities is much lower, which means that enemies will blow through your counties way faster. Also raiders make a much larger hole in the tax revenue, but if you have a big retinue like you said that won't be a problem.
>>
>>263343
Basically what I want to do is fill all my holding slots in thrace with cities so I can maximize my income asap and completely upgrade everything that I personally own. Make it the crown jewel of the empire. I'm not too worried about raiders once I reform I take civilized so I can always raise my vassals for no opinion hit which makes raiding me fairly unprofitable.

My endgame goal is just a massive Roman plus Persian Empire and a pax romana situation while I wait for the mongols and Aztecs.
>>
>>262723
my favorite catholic campaign was starting as duke of benevento in 867 HIP.
Got whole kingdom of sicily, my goal was making a pretender to the roman empire by conquering northern africa. By soon after byzantines got heretic rebelion that took thrakes and it triggered that 4th crusade event that destroys the empire making whole greece and anatolia ripe for pickings.
Took greece while abbasids took anatolia, formed latin empire and started pushing already dead abbasids who got fucked by seljuk. good times
>>
So if you own every county in a small kingdom like Ireland is there any reason to keep the Dutchies around? All the money will just go straight to you as king anyways and then you can use those two dutchies for something else like Alexandra and Rome.

Or is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>263437
what do you mean by keep the duchies around? do you mean the ducal titals like dukedom of munster, ulster etc.?
>>
>>263439
Yes if you are say king of Ireland, have every country and have room to manage more vassals is there any reason not to destroy all the dutchies in Ireland so that you can grab two outside of Ireland?
>>
>>263443
If you can somehow hold all 19 in Ireland without going over your demesne sure counties sure. Could you post a screenshot? It's F11 and the files will be under Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\Screenshots
>>
>>263513
It shouldn't be possible to go to 19 even with peaceful pagan faith, max centralization and stewardship.
>>
>>263543
which is why I don't understand how he holds all of Ireland
>>
>>263513
No but I will have all of thrace and I will post it up at some point in the next day or two. I'm playing shattered world while I remember how to play, it's been a few years. I haven't blobbed too bad yet, I've been wailing on one of the 12 conquerors who spawned too close to me.

What I'm going for is roughly a 14-15 desmense limmit and I'm planning on holding all of thrace plus nikomedia. I've got to push it up to the emperor rank and clearing greece now and sniping the holy sites.
>>
>>263321
>duchy viceroyalties
Sound like alot of pain to deal with as Emperor
>>
>>263437
vassal duchies give you more prestiege which is nice if you want to get the blood of alexander which requires like 15000.
>>
>>263613
They are annoying which is why I usually try to get kingdom viceroyalties as soon as possible and give the titles to preferably young members of my dynasty.
>>
>get captured
>get castrated
>well fuck guess I'm a satanist now
>get great pox
CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES
>>
>>263365
Wait, you are building cities as a non-merchant? That's dumb as fuck
>>
>>264183
>get captured
Literally how?
>>
>>264243
Not really anon, Imperial government allows you to hold cities without penalties. It's nice if you don't have to worry about having too many levies since you get more money and it's fun to rp a little.
>>
>>264276
lost a duel, you have the option of either dying, (which wasn't an option for me since I had no heir), sacrificing someone else at the cost of prestige or just getting captured
>>
>>264295
Should have sacrificed someone else, you lost your balls for an average commander
At least you were a bro I guess
>>
>>264299
How was I supposed to know I would get castrated? I had a ton of money so I thought I could just ransom myself
>>
>>264304
Eh, never trust foreign kings, specially when they're byzantine.

I think I've made that mistake more than once before actually, but I wasn't in such a dire situation as not having an heir.
>>
>>264295
>>264304
That's why I never get my leader involved in shit like duels or leading armies until I'm sure I have a good heir lined up to take control.
>>
File: ck2_36.png (2.13 MB, 1366x768)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB PNG
This character inherited after her 88 year old mother died. Going to declare to usurp Byzantium. Wish me luck
>>
File: ck2_37.png (2.15 MB, 1366x768)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB PNG
>>
I like this game too much not to bump
>>
>>264809
ok now bring back the roman empire
>>
Did it take anyone else a long while to notice the "arrange marriage" button that showed you the available options for marriage?
>>
>>269346
The tutorial I think explicitly tells you about all the marriage options, so no.
>>
>>269373
I didn't play the tutorial
>>
i wish multiplayer worked better
>>
>>264342
Then you're no king.

NOW MEN, COME WITH ME AND TAKE THIS CITY!
>>
>>271532
*gets bonked on the head randomly and becomes retarded for the rest of his life despite having 100 personal combat skill*
>>
>>271549
as much as it is more realistic to always have a chance for your ruler to die in duel even if it's 300 PC vs -30 PC it's still so, so annoying
i think it's a 3% chance even when the difference is immense? it's really dumb, it should probably be less than 1 percent depending on the difference desu
>>
What are the best mods?
No After the End
>>
>>269373
>he plays tutorials
>>
>>271696
Dark World Reborn.
>>
>>271696
The Winter King
>>
>>271731
Sucks that they're switching over to ck3. Still a great mod in its current state though
>>
>>271696
Warhammer, Elder Kings, that one DnD mod with that pirate mage in the middle of the ocean, Lux Invicta assuming they've updated it for the latest patch...
>>
Does the AI only declare war on you when i knows you don't have a chance? I've never had war declared war on me when I'm decent sized, but when I've depleted my troops after a war that;s when the AI declares war on me
>>
>>257841
Just convert to Christianity lmao
>>
>>262116
Based
>>
Why would you want to play optimally in a map painting larp simulator?
>>
>never played before
>acquired all DLC
>start new game
>metal music starts playing
help
>>
>>272562
Kind of? The AI is really scared of you and others in general, there aren't that many wars going on in the world most of the time besides the ones that are completely unbalanced like you said. Yeah, the AI pretty much only declares war on the player when it knows it's gonna completely stomp you.

>>272588
based

>>272687
>turn off the viking metal dlcs because after you hear viking gods for the 1000th time it starts melting your brain
>can now play because the game isn't as bad
But more seriously, don't be afraid to just go and click stuff to figure out what does what, and watch someone play it on yt to pick up on not obvious things.
And also, you probably know what are the more common starts already. Everyone likes Ireland but my first start was continuing the tutorial as Leon, and I'd suggest picking a vassal in the HRE if you want some vassal experience. It's pretty much the most stable empire in the game, and it's large enough that depending on where you start you're very safe against outside invaders.
>>
>>272768
this.

once you have the basic controls/ui sort of figured out, playing one of the interior german dukes in the HRE is probably the best start to start trying things out for yourself. very insulated from external invasions and as long as you dont deliberately antagonize anyone you should be safe from internal wars for quite some time.
>>
File: zvdWfvL.png (43 KB, 690x535)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>254669
>Christianity is incredibly OP if you don't buy into memeshit like heresies and satanic cults
>Christianity
Islam*
>>
File: not rival.png (1018 KB, 839x557)
1018 KB
1018 KB PNG
what the fuck is this bullshit?
>>
File: Screenshot (136).png (2.08 MB, 1366x768)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB PNG
>>262723
I can recommend my own current campaign for one thing.
Started as Strathclyde in the Iron Century start. My mission: Unite the Insular Celts under one flag, and drive out the Germanic invaders (English), first from all positions of power, and then ideally from all province cultures in my Empire of Prydain.
It's a pretty fun start as a bunch of Welshmen in Scotland. You're still tribal in 936, and can bully the Norse, Irish, and Scots around you with ease until you're big enough to feudalize so you can fight the English on an even footing. The best part is that much of the British Isles has cultural place name variations for Welsh rulers that look absolutely silly, so 75% of the time when you conquer a new area it gets renamed to something like Gwrturio or Ynnoes Heledd, it's quite entertaining. Also Tanistry has made for some very interesting successions. You also have a historical bloodline from the start.
Pic related is my current progress. England and I are more or less on an even footing now, but I'm finally at the doorstep of Welsh liberation. Alban is just what Scotland gets changed to under Welsh rulership.
It might be worth playing this one from Charlemagne or Old Gods, as united England is really tough to wear down.
Also pay no attention to my gay brainlet son.
>>
File: China on suicide watch.png (1.09 MB, 1920x1080)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>254669
Fucking with China as a nomad never gets old.
>>
>>272687
Disable full plate metal, viking metal and Orchestral House Lords. Those music pacs really stand out and ruin it for me, other ones are good.
>>
>>257841
Your only option is rushing to siege out the Papal States before crusade kills you. If you're Berber or another culture that can raid its even easier. In my Sicilian Muslims playthrough whenever crusade on me got announced I'd rush all my troops in raiding stance to Rome and siege down papal states, then when the crusade itself launched I'd quicksiege all of Pope's lands to force him to surrender. Worked 3 times in a row, on the 4th try tho christian armies decided to go to Papal States too and kicked me out. Pays to have an outpost outside the Kingdom of Sicily not to game over.
>>
File: state of the world.jpg (574 KB, 1920x1080)
574 KB
574 KB JPG
(Historical Immersion Project Mod)

Well this is unexpected fun. I was well on my way to restore the Roman Empire as the Macedonians, having reclaimed the Eastern Provinces and Subjugated the caliphate as a Tributary State, with my only 2 relevant enemies being the reunited (but unstable) Frankish Empire and my vassals, when a challenger appeared.

With the Seljuqs unifying Iran we seem to have come back to pretty mych the power dynamics from before the rise of Islam. On my full power I beat them out in total levies and barely in retinues (and that's only cause I count Varangians and Scholae as Retinues; numbers could be better but I'm rping so I spam heavy cav), but sheer numbers isn't the only thing involved here.

For one, It takes me far longer to get my troops together than for the Seljuqs, needing time to ship them from all around the Empire.

For another, Seljuqs don't attack when I'm at full power, but when I'm preoccupied or on recent succession. My main focus for conquest is Francia, who when not Civil Warring is pretty powerful as well, but I need to fight them to get the lands I need for Roman Empire. More, I still get really big revolts and civil wars myself, and some Muslims can still Jihad me. Seljuqs choose their moments well, and often attack not me directly, but my plentiful tributaries, allowing them to finish the war before I can even react.

Finally, Seljuqs peroidically get to spawn stacks of Event Troops, all cav. With them they've got the numbers and quality on me, making for really tough wars.
>>
File: current affairs.jpg (709 KB, 1920x1080)
709 KB
709 KB JPG
>>274111
Currently, they're trying to invade my tributary, the Caliph, from out of me. If they do and a new Sunni Caliphate arises, Jihads will become a serious threat again, so it aint a pretty concept. I'm afraid they might catch the caliph or siege down enough before I get there.
>>
File: The enemy.jpg (752 KB, 1920x1080)
752 KB
752 KB JPG
>>274115
They don't currently have event troops going, which is a blessing, but have far more cash so could easily outmerc me. Might be a close one.

(In HIP on succession your money gets divided between your children no matter your succession method, so Seljuqs chose their moment well as my reserves are meh and I still have 3 recent succession modifiers decreasing my troop count, not to mention the looming threat of Civil Wars).
>>
>>274119
At least religiously it goes well, Schism patched and all that. Most of the provinces are Orthodox again, tho new African Conquest can still give me actually big revolts (HIP's revolt system is more nuanced than base and can give some scary enemy numbers when a big number of provinces that share religion and culture revolt, as is currently the case in Cyreneica/Tripolitania. A well timed Assyrian revolt almost got me some time before.)
>>
what's a good capital duchy between mongolia and tibet
>>
>>274472
Kashgar and Khotan are pretty good imho, Trade nodes and all that
>>
File: 1583806088750.png (104 KB, 299x133)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
embarassing
>>
>>274111
>>274115
>>274119
>>274122
HIP is cringe
>>
File: 1598326027518.png (1.55 MB, 867x796)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB PNG
>>274610
>landed genghis khan, granted independence and later on founded the mongol empire myself
kino
>>
>>274646
How so
>>
>>261026
Because Sunset invasion is a meme expansion that you shouldn't get.
>>
>>275084
I think, of all the paradox players, the worse one out of all games are people that defend Sunset invasion as a good DLC
"it's a great what if scenario lol."
no it isn't, it's on the same scale as "What if Atlantis rose up from the sea and decided to invade Europe." It's tone ruining and absolutely awful
>>
>>254669
But breaking either Sunnism or Cathlolicism into abunch of heresies is so fun
>>
>>255927
yeah for like the first 100 years then catholicism always bounces back
>>
>>272161
>Elder kings but no AGOT
>>
>>275317
AGOT is good but the mod went too big: it's literally unplayable in multiplayer because of the amount of systems being simulated at once.

They should do a 'Multiplayer edition' where the Slavery system that causes endless Desync is stripped out entirely and remove the duel system for non players.
>>
>>275314
you'd be surprised, france (or at least aquitaine) gets eaten more often than not in my charlemagne games
>>
>>254669
How brutal is harsh exclave independence in this? Isn't anything you dont have de jure claim on automatically lost on succession? Sounds like a pain in the ass for the player but probably cuts down a lot of the border gore cancer.
>>
>>275935
It's rule setting. You can have no enclave independence at all and make that everything is lost if its not directly connected
>>
File: file.png (45 KB, 1022x239)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>275935
Anything you're not either the dejure leader of and is an exclave gets independence. Everything that doesn't have at most 1 foreign county separating it from the rest of the realm counts as a land exclave. Sea exclaves are based on naval distance, which is a little more obscure to the player compared to the easy 1 county rule, but it's decently forgiving I think. You'd probably be able to hold stockholm as germany or things like that, but you're not getting sicily as germany and keeping it unless you either hold the duchy of sicily directly or own counties there.

Keep in mind that I play with Limited (naval), maybe harsh would make a bigger difference but limited works well enough in clamping down excessive map border gore. I'd argue that limited is a little more historical, medieval realms weren't nearly as cohesive as modern countries as I'm sure you already know.

I'm not sure just how the rules compare since I pretty much play with them on all the time, but they're generally great additions to the game that most of the time don't have huge impacts on realm power. It was a feature conceived to cut down on dumb shit like the kingdom of egypt owning a random province in the interior of france or scotland holding a county in anatolia, and it does its job pretty well.

rules pic because i didn't know them by head
>>
>>275966
>>275964
BTW only Total independence disables achievements if you care about those
>>
>>275966
Yeah makes sense now, thank you anon. I know not having any rules at all was a pain in the ass when the king of Italy had like some shitty barony in France and I couldn't usurp his title because of that even though I held like all of his fucking land in Italy.
(For some godawful reason the imperial govt cant usurp kingdom titles much like a merchant republic can't)
>>
>>254669
Man I hate being a republic in this. If you don't get that first trade post out immediately you screw yourself in the elections lol.
>>
Does anyone else hate that Anatolia is so big and the kingdom of thrace is so small?
>>
>>254669
Playing pagan is just more content. You have to build everything from scratch as opposed to it just being handed to you at start like christians. Every christian playthrough is exactly the same: Save money until you can afford CB and mercs, take nearby provinces, form dukedom. Once you have a duchy, you just marry to gain more lands and then overthrow whoever is above you. After that GG, you'll never be knocked off your totem unless invaded by Mongols or some shit.
>>
File: 546457457.jpg (12 KB, 205x246)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>254669
>be me
>play khazaria
>forget to turn off unstable nomad realms
>blob like crazy, fuck up china, take over entire steppe region for acheevo
>khagan dies
>2 clans break off
>bordergore intensifies

J U S T
>>
File: 1590548861305.png (2.11 MB, 843x959)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB PNG
>>279508
this is the proper and only way to play hordes
>>
File: map.png (2.94 MB, 1270x985)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB PNG
this first crusade is going to be insane, gigantic muslim blobs vs massive francia empire and catholic scandinavia
>>
>>279916
What Poland is doing in Sweden?
>>
>>280727
they have blobbed out of control
>>
Does anyone here have experience with modding CK2
>>
>>255628
Just send them 15 gold and most of them will be at least neutral, sway the big guys that are within a reasonable range of opinion, murder the ones who aren't. You'll all be pals within a decade.
>>
What are some other good spots for raiding besides England and Northern France? Tried Russia but it was a waste of time
>>
>>281244
It depends on who and where you are, but if you're a scandi with boats Iberia is pretty decent if north germany/france/england is tapped out. Ireland is also good for moral authority because they've got undefended churches everywhere. venice/rome/constantinople are memes because after you figure in the costs of your raiding party you aren't making more than the places previously mentioned and it ties up your army for longer.
>>
>>281244
Depends how far you can reach, and what you wanna do. If you just want money, sack paris and rome and constantinople and I think Alexandria is also a good one? I like eating away at arabian coffers because otherwise they just blob like crazy. Also, knocking down MA is good for deciding who wins wars and who has horrible religious schisms. Catholics are close and stupid easy to crater MA, but muslims and orthodocks are both good targets too, having strong consolidated realms that can get incredibly good MA if they win a few wars. Otherwise, raid your next war target and your neighbors. Keeping the people next to you weak with raiding, I find, makes blobbing nice and easy.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.