[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 30 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Crypto payment is now available for self-serve ad campaigns

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: feature-bg.png (499 KB, 1535x693)
499 KB
499 KB PNG
Is this game worth it? I'm new to the series. Should I get 1 or are the improvements in 2 good enough that I should skip 1?
>>
>>1449934
Atmosphere is great, the actual gameplay is a slog. I've heard that 2 is better in that regard, but I haven't tried it myself.
>>
>>1449934
Gameplay is mobile game tier
Atmosphere is the only thing carrying it
>>
>>1449934
Personally I hate it. It's a giant enforced grind.
>>
>>1449934
You should get 1 before 2 to fully appreciate the improvements and progress of 2 but at the same time 2 was said to be less grindy.
>>
I enjoyed 1 more t b h
2 has really nice visuals
>>
>>1449934
Worth a pirate maybe
>improvements in 2 goo
Lmao
>>
2 looks great, and moment to moment gameplay can be fine, but the metagame grind is so fucking bad. It's a game that's designed assuming you have the wiki open during the whole game, so you either know the one gimmick to beat a fight trivially, or you eat shit and die.
>>
>>1449934
improvements?
>>
>>1449934
haven't played 2, I love 1
1's gameplay is pretty meh but the atmosphere, artstyle, and music are incredible
>>
I think it's good but it gets old fast, i would wait for more character dlcs and content, IF they do add anything.
>>
>>1450870
Beat entire of the game without wikis, only lost 2 times to the 2nd and last bosses
Git gud

2 is too repetitive, missing content.
>>
i like it a lot more than 1 so far but i'm only on the 3rd chapter
i do miss crusader
>>
>>1449934
far more depth than 1. 1 is the shallowest turn based game I've ever played. Nu xcoms have more depth than 1
>>
Is it just me or is it borderline impossible to get positive relationships going? You get like +1 point from a positive event and -3 or worse from a negative event and everyone just ends up hating eachother all the time.
>>
>>1449934
>cool graphics
>meh sound
>shitty, grindy, and repetitive gameplay
>a narrator that is as annoying as Central from nucom
>>
>>1449934
>Is this game worth it
No
>Should I get
Neither is worth your time or bandwidth to download it
>>
>>1453973
probably because you don't use items that boost relationships
>>
game has amazing atmosphere, very satisfying to build a good roster and clear a dungeon. debuffs, ability limits, grind to level characters can get tedious

then the game introduces new monsters that can wipe you party as you have no counter. congratulations! back to starting level 1 characters again.

game is frustratingly close to being an all time classic, but ultimately has an arbitrary difficulty that is more luck based than anything else.

loved the first 10 hours, 10-20 became a slog, at 30 hours i hated the cruelty of the encounter design that basically fucked you.
>>
>>1454125
Agreed. Bosses 2 and 3 are such roadblocks it's total bullshit. I've only been able to get one part past each of them. The team that could fight 2 can't fight 3, and the team that can fight 3 can't fight 2.

It was a lot of fun getting to the 3rd boss for the first time and watching my leper and plague doctor sit on death's door the entire 3rd boss fight with zero healing and still win. Hadn't read up anything on the boss so I'm still not really sure how the mechanics of it work. Almost don't want to do it again because of how much of a pain it is.
>>
alchemist doctor
virtuoso jester
scourge flagellant
vanguard man at arms

cannot be stopped
>>
>>1449934
I got Iratus instead, even the expansion on latest sale.
Seems to be the smarter gameplay.
>>
File: Darkest Dungeon.jpg (224 KB, 1920x1080)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
Anyone got advice for settings and stuff?
Thinking about getting back into Darkest Dungeon.
>>
>>1454125
That's basically what I thought. It kinda felt like playing Inscryption. I thought it was worth it though. I had a good time for awhile. Something to be excited about.
>>
>>1454125
>then the game introduces new monsters that can wipe you party as you have no counter. congratulations! back to starting level 1 characters again.
That's really my main gripe about the game. It's not that it's too hard or too RNG, it's that there are certain encounters which you have close to zero chance of beating if you don't already know they're coming up. I hate that kind of game design.
>>
it's a shitty modern "roguelike" where you have to die a bunch of times to gain XP
>>
>>1455914
That's a "Roguelite" thing, not Roguelike.

In a real Roguelike you gain nothing from a failed run other than your increased knowledge and experience, and maybe something like a new high score to record.
>>
>>1449934
Get the 1st one on sale, atmosphere is great but the game is quite unforgiving.

Landing a crit in dd1 is one of the most satisfying things in videogame history
>>
File: 1673978207397500.png (267 KB, 500x500)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
>>1449934
There is no dungeon in the second game
>>
File: 1652805470002.jpg (52 KB, 399x464)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>1449934
1 and 2 are very different games
1 is basically like XCOM. the gameplay loop is 'recruit guys > send onto missions > they level up > you get loot > use loot to upgrade 'home base' > repeat'
2 is a roguelike with no home base. many people consider it inferior overall.
1 is flawed but a very good game, definitely worth checking out

>>1454125
this poster makes some good points. the biggest problem with DD1 is that it is very grindy. You have to do a LOT of runs to beat the bosses and level up enough guys to go to the endgame. the core gameplay is quite fun but it does overstay its welcome.
two things i would contradict though is 1 - the game clearly incentivizes you to not have one 'A-Team' of guys but to build out a roster of like, 20 guys that you can mix and match. if you're playing the game right then losing one team shouldn't be GG / restart material. however, to build out those redundant teams along the way means...yet more grinding
2 - yes the game is quite tough and i agree that it has some pretty unforgiving difficulty spikes. e.g. your teams are crushing it, then you move to higher level dungeon, oh shit they are now in serious danger. and yes, some of the specific things they introduce that can fuck you you won't know about until you find them. like stealth units or powerful new spells / effects. that does suck. but i think overall the difficulty of DD1 is a little overrated if you're willing to take some L's on the learning journey.

>>1454194
yeah but isnt that kind of the point? the bosses are designed so that you need to bring in certain types of guys to clear them. like how DoT's are so effective against the warrens boss.
the only thing that is kind of BS is that you have no way of knowing that beforehand, so your first encounter is a very high-risk gamble, and you have to figure out the boss-specific mechanics on the fly. i guess there's no way around that without some dumb infodump they give the player beforehand instead or something.
>>
>>1456221
>>1454194
Every single boss in the darkest dungeon area is just like the ones on 2, you get completely buttfucked if you don't have a tailor made party, not mentioning you have to learn the perfect route to each boss if you want to arrive not so fucked there.
>>
>>1456404
The difference is that you can retreat in the darkest dungeon, the layouts don’t change, and they only take maybe 30 minutes
>>
Two different games. 1 is still very good. After 4 hours of vanilla install a mod that speeds up walking/combat and turn off the narrator. People complaining about the grind probably spent cumulative hours watching animations.
>>
>>1456439
Pussy shit, also retreating is always a loss if you're playing in the only real difficulty which is stygian.
>>
>>1449934
There is a strong "I'm wasting my time" moment that hits mid game that is extremely hard to push through
>>
>>1456603
virgin detected

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.