[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 54 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: second front.jpg (139 KB, 1280x720)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
Game is a week away. Manual is out. Scenario playthroughs are up on youtube. Any interest here?

https://youtu.be/eOd2p0HQFYM
https://youtu.be/_XE0gLk82ns

Manual's on steam: https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/1148490/manuals/SecondFrontManualv.1.05.pdf?t=1674372750
>>
>>1317156
looks fine
>>
>>1317156
I'm going to be picking it up. Looks good.
>>
Oh look another shill thread.
>>
>>1317310
Even if I did work for Microprose or the developers why would that bother you? What does "shill" mean? Do you think I'm going to somehow lie to you?
>>
>>1317156
I wish I was not such a busy adult with huge backlog to test it.
>>1317313
All yes.
If you work for the company, you might as well admit it, because people are paranoid about them anyway.
>>
>>1317313
Shill confirmed.
>>
>>1317316
I don't, but let's just say yes if that makes things convenient. Should I be treated differently now?

I genuinely can't understand the "shill" aversion. Like "microtransactions" I think it's just one of those memes that paranoid stupid people like because it's not morally or intellectually challenging.
>>
>>1317316
what do you mean "all yes"? two out of the three questions aren't yes or no questions you dumb nigger bastard
>>
Looks like modern version of SPWW2/SPMBT
I dig it
>>
>>1317329
>. Like "microtransactions"
Feel free to kill yourself any time.
>>
File: 1654432920656.png (1.06 MB, 1044x783)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
Very hard to excited for WW2 hex strategy game #251071. Graphics are utterly devoid of soul compared to panzer general 1 for example.
>>
>>1317156
man this looks like a 3d steel panthers
>>
File: must be.jpg (35 KB, 632x467)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1317391
You first. Before you go name ten good games RUINED by MICROTRANSACTIONS.
>>
>>1317474
Not the same person but it is microtransactions to an extent. Basically games nowadays are just quick cash grabs. Microtransactions are just the most obvious part of it.
>>
>>1317435
Apples and oranges
This looks more like modern Steel Panthers than any Panzer General clone.
>>
>>1317474
Never though ill see the day when some "Anon" defends microtransactions.
Fuck off paypig, there is no game that was made better with inclusion of microtransactions or cash shops
>>
>>1317479
It sounds like you're blaming a symptom rather than a cause.

>>1317482
That wasn't the question.
>>
>>1317474
Nobody claimed that microtransactions ruined a game on their own though, just that you're a drooling retard for defending them at all.
>>
>>1317490
because...
>>
File: 1674455521907751.jpg (33 KB, 625x626)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>1317493
If you need to be told why nickel and diming consumers is a bad thing then please refer back to the post telling you to kill yourself.
It's the best for everyone.
>>
>>1317310
>>1317316
>>1317317
As if any marketing department knows that /vst/ even exists let alone wants the association with 4chan or is willing to spend money rogue advertising on a site known for its hositility to shills. Game looks cool. Roll with it guys.
>>
>>1317563
4chan is one of the most widely known websites across the industry. Why would an industry pass up advertising to literally MILLIONS of people?
>>
>>1317565
>/vst/
>literally MILLIONS of people
You okay there buddy? This board has maybe at best 100 regular poster, or in more likely case around 50
>>
>>1317566
>100
more like 10
>>
File: file.png (365 KB, 1318x566)
365 KB
365 KB PNG
>generic assets off the unity store
>which means the game will run like shit too, because unity
How embarrassing.
>>
>>1317156
why the fuck does it have to look so bright and cartoony?
>>
>>1317607
Because war is fun
>>
>>1317607
Because grey and brown low-poly looks like vomit.
>>
>>1317675
Doesn't have to be "grey and brown" but if you look at that trailer and think it fits what they are making I don't even know what the fuck to tell you. Hell you'd probably REALLY like ugly ass shadow empire then.
Visuals don't fit the game being made almost like its purchased assets or something.
>>
>>1317680
>Visuals don't fit the game being made almost like its purchased assets or something.
Who cares as long as the gameplay is good?
>>
>>1317681
you probably play that furry turn based strategy game and shit like timberborn and go "this is fine"
>>
File: Untitled.png (736 KB, 572x877)
736 KB
736 KB PNG
is this ASLSK?
>>
>>1317703
I dont but nice projection
>>
>>1317706
damn you make mods for em too?
>>
File: FL1dUvtWYAQZrlY.jpg (85 KB, 854x1043)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>1317605
>you have to model the M1 Garand again every time you make a WW2 game.
>why has late capitalism made video games so penny pinching?
>>
>>1317156
gives strong ASL vibes, lets just hope it's not $40.
>>
How strong is the AI?
>>
>>1317842
what has this got to do with le communism? back to r/politicalcompassmemes with you, pop-politics obsessed underage
>>
>>1317329
>Like "microtransactions" I think it's just one of those memes that paranoid stupid people
>stupid people
pot kettle ect.
>>
>ANOTHER ww2 game

Get some new material
>>
File: pic232451.jpg (58 KB, 464x630)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>1317705
>>1318063
Apparently its very close to the original Squad Leader with a few certain things from Advanced Squad Leader added like multi-floored buildings. Also the logo is ripped straight from the og Squad Leader box.
>>
>>1318148
To add onto this post, apparently this game has a very in depth scenario and campaign editor, first thing im doing after I learn a few rounds is porting all the Advanced Squad Leader scenarios I have to this game. Gonna be fukin sick.
>>
>its another half baked microprose abandonware game

wow i cant wait
>>
>>1318148
someone doing a playtrough mentioned a building being set on fire (or maybe another unit, can't recall) with a panzerfaust backblast. yeah, it's asl.
>>
>>1317387
i would love a modern SP:MBT
>>
File: 231314141441.png (7 KB, 654x54)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
Is it true?
>>
>>1318365
From the beta clips I've seen it seems to handle itself pretty well. I think the scale of the game is pretty manageable for a competently programmed computer.

Dumbest thing I've observed opposition doing is moving a tank into the midst of a dense and cluttered area full of scattered infantry to get an easy shot destroying a couple of more exposed units. It then got hit in the rear with a bazooka and destroyed next turn. It hasn't done anything retarded, breaking, or wrong-looking. That's a tactical move you can make an argument for, just maybe not the best one.
>>
>>1317490
>$10,000 is a fair price for a train simulator
I wish I was joking about that price total.
>>
>>1318365
Good AI is an illusion. If any Dev claim their AI is good/special etc it's just cleverly railroaded to give the impression of being good
>>
I've had this on my Steam wishlist for a while, so I'm pretty hyped. But I get the impression not shipping multiplayer in the base game is going to be a massive blunder
>>
It's almost here. I'm gunna get it!
>>
8 hours boys
>>
File: 20230131_073423.jpg (413 KB, 1460x844)
413 KB
413 KB JPG
>>1317156
Anyone play it yet? Initial thoughts? Im stuck at work all day and would rather be downloading this.
>>
File: 1657115521423.jpg (50 KB, 647x600)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>1323440
Can't wait to get home and try it out.
>>
>>1317156
Pretty tempted, going to wait and see how reception to the launch turns out though.
>>
https://tallyhocorner.com/2023/01/second-front-romans-reservations/
>>
>turn based hex
no thank you
>>
>>1323495
This fucking retard is upset that guns are less effective the further you shoot them, and that his turn based hex and counter game doesnt play like an RTS. This is such a smoothbrain take. Also hes upset it plays like ASL. If you dont like ASL dont fucking play it.
>>
>>1323524
you must be devoid of a brain. He cites his colleagues reservations who comes from a simulation background and makes solid points: Why is 1 hex away from half range equally as ineffective as shooting much further away. He simply suggests that instead of having 4 ranges, calculate the results per hex.
Also that colleague enjoyed the game, and the writer himself says it may potentially be his game of the year.
Fucking hell youre dumb.
>>
>>1323495
So is Roman his husband? Or his alter ego or what? I've never known. There were times I thought it was his dog and it was all make-believe.

Anyway, if those are the main concerns of someone who doesn't have the ASL background (me neither) then I think I'm going to like it fine. Tim's taste is usually pretty good.
>>
>>1323542
Because he loaded up a spiritual successor to ASL, a period piece of 80s war simulation. Then complains that
>wtf why is this like an 80's war simulation
He went into a game modeling a system he knew was crunchy and had weird inaccuracies like range segmentation, then complained about it. His ass belongs back in Graviteam Tactics.
>>
>>1323542
It's fair to wonder why those tabletop dice-roll abstractions should exist in a computer wargame. Is it a choice of design, to keep it from getting somehow too granular? or is it just keeping a tradition? That said, I doubt it'll end up really bothering me.
>>
Mildly interested, i think the graphics look nice including the UI, i hate when strategy games have bad/cheap looking UIs
>>
>>1323547
And who's over here crying and huffing about a mildly critical review he chose to read?
>>
>>1323641
Yes im curled up in a ball on my floor sobbing as I type this. I will never recover from the pshycological shock reading a lukewarm review for a game I havnt even installed yet. Its totally not because discussion happened on an image board and you're coming to the defense of some reviewer. Unless you are the reviewer posting your own article which only makes this worse.
>>
>>1317605
had the same concern. don´t worry, game seems well optimized.playing the tutorials atm.
>>
>>1323754
should mention hat the camera movement is shit. unintuitive and borderline annoying. hope they´ll improve that.
>>
>>1323649
still posting about an article you barely skimmed
>>
skimmed the manual, aslsk4 rulebook, looked into the source code. they took some liberties with the turn phases, there are easy to spot simplifications, like terrain entry cost, but the general gist is there, half-squads, support weapons with encumbrance, unit deterioration, there's even skulking, when moving out of the LOS then advancing back. it definitely been inspired by ASL, but since i haven't played it, can't really say how much has been lost in the translation.

the AI code looks interesting, the map gets partitioned into sectors around victory points, defense structures, and so on, then the frontline gets created at known contact points with the player. based on the balance of forces in a given sector and it's neighbors, leaders get a stance, like "attacking", "defending", and after that take actions according to pretty much linear table of priorities, with attending to broken units at the top.

they really put "leader" in the "squad leader", since all the decisions are made at this level. there's no min maxing, the computer could play more optimally, instead what we get here is some guys running around trying to do their best, within their limited information. i haven't played past the tutorial yet, but from what i see, there's a decent chance it actually works.

50 scenarios is pretty standardish (i mean John Tiller Squad Battles standard, not LnL Publishing 8 scenario dlcs), the editor begs to be used, when i run out i'm going to translate Band of Brothers scenarios that are collecting dust on my bookshelf. the presentation is fine, LOS indication, terrain heights work perfect. Unity puts my CPU cooler to work a little bit, which is annoying.

the general state of code is not excellent, usage of terms like "hunter" for AI controllable entities doesn't look professional, but it's decent enough i believe they're capable of shipping multiplayer later on. the price hurt a little, i felt like a degen not waiting for a sale, but it's going to be 6 months.
>>
Liking it rn. I've seen a ww2 squad level tactics game like this before in a videogame. The amount of different units is good.
>>
>So much fucking shilling
>>
>>1323917
howd you get access to the source code
>>
>>1323962
ILSpy -> Assembly-CSharp.dll, works for every Unity game.
>>
>>1323917
>skimmed the manual, aslsk4 rulebook, looked into the source code. they took some liberties with the turn phases, there are easy to spot simplifications, like terrain entry cost, but the general gist is there, half-squads, support weapons with encumbrance, unit deterioration, there's even skulking, when moving out of the LOS then advancing back. it definitely been inspired by ASL, but since i haven't played it, can't really say how much has been lost in the translation.
>All that before playing the game properly
You are most definitely autistic but G-d damn thats a pretty impressive form of autism
>>
File: FnXzg5CXoAYKRy3.png (31 KB, 231x231)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>1323970
thanks!
>>
>>1323961
Let's try to have this discussion again since it didn't resolve last time. Even if people in this thread were literally being paid by the developers, what would that mean for you as a reader of these posts? Why don't you point out for us some parts of this thread you believe can't be trusted and why?
>>
Is it Advanced Squad Leader ported to PC or is it just inspired by it?
>>
>>1324020
Very closely "inspired". They probably ran through the concept with a lawyer to figure out exactly how much they'd have to change to not get sued.
>>
>>1324021
Got it. Definitely a lot more interested now. ASL was always one of those things I wanted to get into but nobody I knew shared my interest in it
>>
>>1324021
>They probably ran through the concept with a lawyer to figure out exactly how much they'd have to change to not get sued
Nice headcannon, im sure that solo dev that had resources to contact lawyer and brainstorm best way to rip off a 30+ years old game
>>
>>1324034
ASL is one of the best selling war games ever.
It’s also owned by Hasbro. The current publisher leases the rights to o the fame. Their focus is currently making dungeon and dragons more gay, but they could bring the law hammer anytime.
That being said, you can’t copyright rules. But they need to tread carefully.
Current set of the rules in PDF is $60
https://www.wargamevault.com/m/product/344879
>>
there's something fucky going on on the asl fb groups. boomers seem all pumped up because of the game, and comments about possible intellectual property infringement get deleted.
>>
>>1324032
I look like this
>>
>>1324021
Rules can't be copyrighted.
>>
>>1324107
>and comments about possible intellectual property infringement get deleted.
Based, hallway monitors belong in gas chambers.
>>
>>1317156
>hexes
intothetrash.jpg
>>
so can we get some proper feedback on the game now? is it good?
>>
>>1324290
I've played a few scenarios and had a very good time. Looks and sounds and handles nice enough for my liking. Game does a cool job of big and small scale, good level of abstraction where I feel like there's a simple game to master here but also feels pretty reasonable how things play out. The WW2 vision is done justice while still being really fun.
>>
File: second front.png (369 KB, 1920x1080)
369 KB
369 KB PNG
>>1324290
couldn't even start it
it load and then crash
>>
>>1324182
Squares will get a 4 sided noose
>>
File: am burb must scream.jpg (14 KB, 324x451)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
Why is it so expensive when I'm so broke
>>
>>1324319
>Why is it so expensive
Nigger it's not even 30 eurobucks.
>>
File: 1670857762328263.jpg (71 KB, 879x670)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>1324319
Learn how to pirate retard
>>
>>1324325
i will not pirate a microprose game
they are the last hope for RTS games
>>
>>1324334
You want to play the game, you have no money. Whats stopping you from acquiring the game? Your own morals? What are you a toddler?

If you really care pirate it now, have fun with it and pay for it when you have money
>>
I love ASL and I'll probably buy this on sale, can't really say I'm a fan of the graphics though. What really irks me is that it lacks multiplayer, adding multiplayer to a turn based game is trivial
>>
>>1324375
Coming soon (tm)
It’s already on launch sale.
>>
>>1324375
My friends only play FPS games, so fuck'em
besides, Microprose is focusing on singleplayer, so they're based
>>
>>1324375
i would expect it this summer, Highfleet got 25-30% discount after 6 months. it's the most expensive Microprose game at the moment, not the level of Matrix/Slitherine scumbaggery, but they're definitely milking boomers with disposable income

multiplayer is easy if you planned for it since the beginning, sharing the game state would be trivial, but observing the other player's actions in real time that's a whole different thing. i don't see any architecture allowing multiplayer right now, the engine would need a major rework (unless Unity provides something out of the box i'm not aware of). my guess would be a year of work if they start now, 6 months if they're good.
>>
>>1317156
Does it come with a campaign?
If yes, is the campaign dynamic and then it zooms in to tactical battles or is it linear story-driven?
>>
>>1319037
Anon, if you are talking about a certain Dovetail Games game, then please consider that it is made for German boomers with much more money than sense and they are eating it up. It just isn't for us.
>>
>>1324398
But all they need to add is peer to peer multiplayer, it's baby tier for these kinds of games if you are a somewhat decent programmer. If this was a fast paced action game that had to keep a close eye on lag then I'd understand, but they literally just need to send some turn data over from the server to the client, they don't need to even think about lag since it's turn based
>>
>>1324418
>multiplayer is easy if you planned for it since the beginning, sharing the game state would be trivial, but observing the other player's actions in real time that's a whole different thing. i don't see any architecture allowing multiplayer right now, the engine would need a major rework (unless Unity provides something out of the box i'm not aware of). my guess would be a year of work if they start now, 6 months if they're good

But it's turn based, they'd never need to observe the other players actions in real time. Even if they had zero planning for multiplayer during the development (and if that's the case then my question is WHY) I don't think it would be especially hard to add it in post launch either since the ai effectively is another player, unless they've programmed it in some wonky way. In any case, in a game that is so strictly turn-based I think it would be a serious miscalculation to not plan for multiplayer from the start since it would hardly be any extra work at all if you kept mulriplayer in mind from the beginning when you programmed the turn structure, unit control and so on. A missed opportunity in that case
>>
>>1324130
Yes they can. It's the reason why Fallout's SPECIAL came to be.
>>
>>1324334
Pirate or don't play, they're not getting your money either way.
>>
This shit is the buggest game I played in long time
>>
>>1324913
I don't mean to say I don't believe you, but it is strange that I have yet to see a single report of bugs written in fluent English. The first and most reacted to negative review on steam is barely even coherent.
>>
>>1324915
I pirated it to test it.
It loads slowly.
It freezes at the end of missions.
It crash at the start of the game.
TBh I don't find it interesting to bother much.
>>
>>1324917
That sounds more like performance problems than bugs. I found the initial load to hitch a bit but otherwise it's cooperated with me. I've found that by spamming clicks and trying to stack orders I can cause certain sounds (vehicles) to stop playing for a turn, but that's it for actual bugs.
>>
>>1324857
No they can't, you just can't use terminology related to the game. In the case of GURPS, they could have just changed the wording and been in the clear, but they wanted their own system after they dropped the licence
>>
This is what annays the shit out of me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om0LdJZYRko
>>
>>1325010
>game cheats in favor of AI
In other news, water is still wet.
>>
>>1325016
then all the boomers drop in and declare that is fine according to the ASL rules etc. tiresome. i´m just 8 hours in but it really feels like wasted time.
>>
>>1325028
No, I'm just saying that the AI getting cheats to try and compensate for its lack of brainpower compared to the player is more or less the norm in strategy games.
>>
>>1325010
He only ran the test once, some things like changing sides and repetitions would have been nice, but I do still get the impression this is happening. Can't beat a 2-star Soviet scenario because my units keep evaporating in front of the final objective while the last few defenders just endure turns of focused fire from all over. Still having fun.
>>
>>1325040
i got that, and it´s a common thing with many games. but in this one the AI bias is completely overdone. too often the combat results are almost surreal, it´s just frustrating.
>>
>>1325044
>Can't beat a 2-star Soviet scenario because my units keep evaporating in front of the final objective while the last few defenders just endure turns of focused fire from all over.
And exactely this is what ruins all fun for me. hope the dev will fix the problem someday (if he regards it as one at all). also this : mortars incapable of indirect fire. wtf.
>>
>>1325053
It is a game, so I understand the mortar thing. Indirect fire being the main killer in every battle would probably be less fun.
>>
>>1317156
Fuck off shill. Make a thread AFTER the game comes out so there's something to talk about or you're just marketing. Speculating on whether a game looks good from a trailer is for /v/tards
>>
>>1325084
The game came out two days ago, nigger.
>>
>>1325088
And the thread was made a week before it came out, retard. Shill need to be culled, and shill defenders need to go next.
>>
>>1325091
Go bac to your paradox threads, ESL.
>>
>>1325093
Go back to being a nuisance shill.
>go bac
>"ESL"
Kill yourself you fucking retard.
>>
>>1325094
>>1325091
hello mr janitor
thanks for telling us when to open our threads
remember boys, no more pre release threads about games!
>>
File: Unbenannt.png (172 KB, 789x859)
172 KB
172 KB PNG
popcorn.jpg
>>
>>1325238
lol, now this thread is also gone.
>>
>>1325238
Your issue seems legit but stop trying to promote your shitty blog here.
>>
>>1325238
fuck, i´m not this guy. i just think he has some valid points there. imo the game is solid, has much potential but how the dev sometimes deals with criticism is total bs.
>>
good samefag
>>
>>1325259
response to >>1325255
>>
So the game is a dissapointment huh? I really thought this would be ASL in PC-form, something that would be neat so I don't have to re-learn the rules after every break
>>
>>1325963
>So the game is a dissapointment huh?
The dev went a bit to heavy on the AI bonuses but other than that it's neat imo. Shouldn't be too hard to adjust those values so your elite troops won't get routed by a single unit of conscripts every single time.
>>
>>1325963
Personally I've been loving it. A lot of this game's newly born community is really fucking whiny and combative though. Though people are correct it needs a few tweaks. Im no ASL veteran but im getting fucking rolled over by the AI. Should be pretty easy to tweak the values on that though and I wouldnt be surprised if an experienced Unity modder could make some sort of hack for this.
>>
The allegations of the AI having hard-coded advantages hasn't really been proven beyond.
>>
>>1326132
beyond one fairly uncontrolled youtube video.*
>>
>>1326132
>>1326148
fucking shills
>>
>>1326132
You can just start the game and run a few scenarios.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.