[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 37 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: DistantWorlds_fPkkqXHSDT.jpg (665 KB, 1920x1080)
665 KB
665 KB JPG
>>
>>1312806
How long would take to learn this game? I don't have time anymore to learn complex games.
>>
>>1312807
Game is super easy to learn. Doesn't take long to learn the basics. I learned it in like an hour after following a notepad guide that was only a page long. The game isn't very spreadsheety, It's just like an enormous RTS game, and people kinda misunderstand it.
>>
I loved DWU. Did they fix DW2? It was somehow worse at release.
>>
>>1312806
Is this that game where you can pretty much automate anything you want?
>>
>>1312808
Pretty sold he game to me. GOG has it on sale right now.
>>
How is DW2? Worth $45?
>>
>>1312806
DW and Aurora are only two space 4x games worth a shit these days.
>>
>>1315490
its costs much less in turkish lira
>>
>>1315490
I would rather question if its as laggy as DW1. when I tried DW1 it had bad fps (and yes that was even noticeable as the game it is), with constant stuttering
>>
>>1315645
it's laggier in my experience
>>
Too hard to see when combat is going on. Everything is so small, even with models on 2.00 scale.
Also I didnt even see pirate ships in my home system. Just one tiny triangle in a see of other triangles.
>>
In DW2, how do I
>rename infantry
>assign a different ship to be fleet commander
>>
>>1317147
nevermind, I cant even load my save. All of my saves just crash when I go to load them. Maybe I will come back to this game in 6 months
>>
>>1315490
It's good compared to other games but feels like a downgrade from 1.
>>
>>1315590
What about Stellaris? I know the DLC that makes it worth can put you in the hundreds. But I had close to 500 hours played within 3 months.
>>
>>1317208
>DLC
CreamAPI
>>
>>1317208
>Shitlaris
Its a bad directionless game with fucked combat, samey faction despite supposed differences between them, assload of weird limits and oversimplification, awful performance and typical paraducks DLC whoring.
Fuck that game.
>>
>>1312807
what do you mean you dont have the time? its a game you just play it and learn as you go
>>
>buying DW2 at launch
lel just wait to buy the complete edition ten years from now with MP included you dumb ass
>>
What mods do you recommend for a newcomer?
>>
File: 1670960560727734.png (1.02 MB, 1012x900)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
>>1317491
Heh buying
>>
>>1312806
Have anyone tried to make it work in wine?
>>
>>1317848
Looks like it's a little picky, but it works:
https://www.protondb.com/app/1531540
>>
>The game requires internet explorer 11 installed
>That interface
Is it embedding the fucking browser in the game?
>>
>>1318064
>Is it embedding the fucking browser in the game?
I mean to be fair Electron apps do that and it's fine, but this one is pretty retarded yes. It's one of those "autistic dev who cannot code makes a game".
>>
>>1318081
All in all is not a horrible solution for a small dev team, this was 10 years ago too. Nevertheless I find it funny.
>>
>>1317491
>DW2
That's obviously DW1 idiot
>>
>>1318084
It's a terrible solution even 10 years ago.
>>
>>1317853
did wc3tft remaster use the same "technology" for game menu and it tanked performance and used more resources than the entire game?
>>
Balls
>>
>>1312806
I wish the ship designing was more in depth, more akin to Aurora with detection for ships and munition. Or at the very least more ship classes.
>>
>>1317208
>stellaris
lmao get the fuck outta here, this thread is for good games.
>>
>>1318064
the info pages are using windows apis that leverage internet explorer. its the same shit as the old school windows help pages with the yellow question mark. boomer tier yes, but incompetent retard tier no
>>
>>1318091
no. they embedded chrome (i.e. electron) so they could have interns program everything in javascript. what made it so friggin slow was actually the poor programming on the electron-side more than anything. electron is slower than native, but not necessarily unusuably slow, thats just a skill issue. on the other hand, dwu uses embedded ie for static info pages that have links between them. it actually works well enough.
>>
Check out this cool tutorial https://invidious.snopyta.org/watch?v=hEFm0jxtzWs&listen=false
>>
How much of the game do you automate? I just feel overwhelmed by the amount of shit you need to account for, which only increases as you gain more ships/colonies.
>>
>>1317208
all of stellaris's customisation is used to hide the fact its barely a game
>>
>>1313057
Yes
>>
>>1317572
Retreat UE and my mod.
>>
>>1318509
>1318509
I modded the shit out of my game. I don't even remember what the old designer is like.
>>
Modding weapon rangers to 1200+ makes the game way funner.
>>
>>1319075
I automate constructors after a while. The game isn't really micromanagy, its kinda like an ant colony game.
>>
File: pacts.png (22 KB, 424x152)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
Are mutual defense pact bugged? The AI never cancels them despite bad relationships.
>>
>>1312806
Alright this looks fairly interesting, picked up
>>
What is considered the definitive version of DW?
>>
>>1319698
just get DW:universe, base game is all you need since it comes with all the expansions
there are a shit ton of mods, but two I would suggest you look at using are the 'Graphics Enhancement Mod' and 'Das Chrome UI mod', they both help make the UI far more bearable to look at
>>
>>1319654
Holy shit this game is good, how did I never hear about it before I'm on my first playthrough as gizurans and it's been pretty fun, I control a good chunk of the galaxy rn, I've established good relations with sulkens, waged war on a couple pirate factions and I drove them into submission, I have solid economy and I'm at the point where basically every other moment something new happens, I do have a couple really good capital ships that I managed to find early game so honestly they maybe carried me early on as they had more firepower than anything I could build at the time, but yeah I'm enjoying this thank you OP
>>
Ok just downloaded this game, going in blind, what am I in for. Closest game I have any experience with is St*llaris
>>
>>1322125
>what am I in for
Trade sanctions.
>>
My first game is going pretty well although I feel like a brainlet cause I basically keep letting the ai handle most things except colonisation and war
>>
File: 2013-11-12_214226.jpg (887 KB, 1600x900)
887 KB
887 KB JPG
>>1322125
1st: Whoever controls the spice, controls the DW:Universe.

2nd: Don't let *it* escape...

3rd: Use mods. https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=10492
Beyond Extended Universe was dope if I remember correctly.
>>
>>1321490
Try out the pirate gamemode too. U get to play as pirates is super fun and challenging.
>>
>>1321490
oh and no problem ;) have fun
>>
>>1312806
if I love the twilight imperium board game, will I like this game? I've been itching for a game similar to the board game.
>>
should I play the first DW or skip straight to DW2 ?
>>
>>1322851
DW universe is far more polished and has a lot more content and a lot of well made and ironed out mods, DW2 has some great ideas but I think it needs more updates till it reaches the same level
>>
>>1322863
alright, I'll pick it up on gog and give it a try.
>>
>>1322848
It's got similarities but it's not turn based.

You get planetary ressources, space stations, carriers, espionage, different races and you'll get rewarded for fast exploration.

Usually I started my games with 10+ exploration ships, btw.

So it's not the same, but I liked both games, so you might have fun with it.

>pic related
It's a basic options guide, that I wrote 10yrs ago, to give you a decent game setup.
>>
File: keskudon-1.jpg (19 KB, 240x240)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>1322912
Btw. disregard the cringe language and outdated game version, I think the latest is Distant Worlds: Universe (Not DW: Shadows).

Few but strong pirates are best because they tend to spam otherwise.
Once you get the basics of the game it can get quite easy, so keep up to difficulty level.
I think it's best to manually create the AI empires, so you can fine tune them.
Latest version of Extended Mod (on Matrix games Forums), adds alot of races that are fun but some are too op to play as.

Return of the Shakturi is a nice endgame crisis, but I removed it after some playthroughs, and created my own AI Endboss Empires after a while. Kept the sandbox feeling alive better that way.

ALso I think I disabled Tech trading, because it can create a hyperinflated technology spread. If you like slower more chill games, don't use tech trading.
>>
>>1322836
I do wanna do that as well, I do want to finish my current game first tho, my current playthrough is going great, I had a few smaller conflicts here and there but I also had a massive war against this hakoshan corporation and by the end of it they had 4 colonies, funnily enough they didn't accept subjugation even then, I settled with taking a bunch of territories and ending it there, I have around 70 fleets and similar number of colonies, I think I'm getting close to the crysis event as the ai faction warned me about some ancient race returning, also I've made 3 other insectoid races my protectorate
>>
>>1323060
Prepare for the event it's basically impossible to beat shakturi in a fleet battle unless you are really prepared. Get hyper jump stoppers and planet shields or the shakturi will slowly widdle you away. Keep an eye on planet destroyers those things are fucked up.
>>
how do I play this game on a 1440p monitor? it just opens in a window top left
>>
>>1322912
>Difficulty scales
And dropped.
>>
>>1323397
That's just an option anon, you can change it in the settings
>>
>>1323106
Planet shields I already got cause hakoshans kept sending their fleets and strike forces behind my lines and attacking my less developed colonies and destroying my mining operations
>Get hyper jump stoppers
Oh this one is great, wish I knew that was a thing cause one of the biggest issues I had was enemies running away as soon as my fleets come in
>>
>>1322779
>1st: Whoever controls the spice, controls the DW:Universe.
You saying the mentat intelligence-boosting spice analogue luxury resource is OP?
>>
File: distant_worlds_2_13.jpg (383 KB, 1920x1080)
383 KB
383 KB JPG
So, How is 2 going? What do they want to do with it? I feel like 1's diplomacy was very barebones. Also intelligence missions more often than not didn't matter except for race specific victory points. As for the interface, I wish I could define specific fleet roles so that I can create units for defense and units for personal fleets without having to check them one by one.
>>
>>1323106
So I won the game before they appeared, I achieved the wincon but I like that the game allows me to keep playing and I'm gonna build up a massive fleet to take them on, but that can wait, I'll now start a new game as a different faction, that was a quite enjoyable campaign although the victory struck me out of nowhere, I did reach it right after beating those ancient pirates that came back with a huge fleet, prawlers I think they're called and beating them was satisfying
>>
>>1323863
Also as mentioned before I feel that tech trading makes it easy to build up and as I had 3 factions as my protectorate all of them were trading a lot of tech with me, I'll probably disable it this time
>>
>you still can't queue actions in DW2
It's like the universe punish you for being hyped for something
>>
>>1323863
I usually go sandbox mode. I've never done the win conditions before even though I think they could be pretty challenging. I'm going to start a new game with my modded version of the game to take on the shakturi. Later on try and get into modding. Edit weapon ranges longer. If you want I could post my mod here but you will need retreat ue.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.