[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 61 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Find a flaw.
>>
>>1295075
no 101st or 82nd airborne division.
>>
>>1295076
It's an eastern front game, chud. Every other division is for flavor and should not be taken for granted.
>>
>>1295077
they gave the brits their shitty airborne division from normandy 44. they shouldve given the US one.
>>
File: 1669469127862776.png (236 KB, 528x438)
236 KB
236 KB PNG
>every nazi div gets insane variety and wunderwaffen all over the place
>soviets are boring as shit and usually carbon copies of each other besides a different T34 year model or something
>>
>>1295080
I like the German division that is straight out of WW1
>>
>>1295075
they never added the ability to make your own maps.
>>
>>1295083
they don't have any tools to automate it, eugen has to manually add every single tree and depression
>>
>>1295085
dont care. i wanted the mapmaking they promised.
>>
bomp
>>
>>1295075
Arcadey garbage.
I'd rather play the Combat Mission series despite it being a clunky outdated piece of shit with lazy fucking boomer devs who can't do anything right.
Just waiting for the day when we get a modernized version of something like Combat Mission that isn't a streamlined piece of garbage like Steel Division/Wargame/Warno/Regiments/etc. Modernized in the sense of an upgraded engine, obviously.
>>
>>1295075
>Morale System still fucked since Ruse
>WW2 Shitter setting
>Paypig DLC that makes Paradox Blush
>Off Map fire support
>>
>>1296938
no
>>
The division system
Autistic devs add tons of western front divisions but refuse to add any western front maps because they’re lazy french retards
Autocannons can make Tiger II’s retreat because moral system is retarded
Maps all look the same
Phase system
French devs
>>
>>1295075
Shitty single player mode
AI cheats
>>
not wargame 4
>>
>>1296952
Shadow Empire mod where each individual combat is fought in a subgame SD/Wargame style when?
>>
I really tried to like this game, the scenarios is what I love about the other Wargames but for the love of me, I always quit in the first game on the campaign.
>>
>>1298407
>Autocannons can make Tiger II’s retreat because moral system is retarded
I don't get this one
taking a high volume of 20-30mm rapid cannon fire is fucking scary
>>
>>1298655
based. pretty close to being my perfect idea for a wargame.
Vic from VR Designs is the reason I got into wargaming so hard as a kid back in 2004, with a freeware game called "People's Tactics". He even gave me beta access to Shadow Empire (I was somewhat of a regular on the forums).
>>
>>1298659
You shouldn't feel bad. Army general is a dogshit game mode
>>
>>1298668
>I'm getting shot at by thing
>He keeps shooting me
>I'm still alive
>For some reason I'm still scared the 20th time he does it
>>
>>1298742
Try standing behind a steel wall equivalent to Tiger II Armor while a couple of 20mm autocannons just fucking unleash on it
It's a human instinct thing, you would need incredible levels of discipline to not fall back under that.
Plus the physical concussive force could just make you start bleeding from the eyes.
Which the veterancy and morale system, IMO, does an acceptable job of simulating
You can see this IRL in plenty of reports where armored vehicles retreat under fire from weapons that can't *technically* penetrate
Also worth remembering these vehicles have innumerable soft points where a weapon that can't get a full kill on them can compromise equipment or disable crew
>>
bonp
>>
>>1298747
>it would make you bleed out of your eyes
There are multiple accounts of softer tanks getting blasted by 20mms and being fine.
This is on the same level of fud bullshit as a near .50 cal miss killing you.
>>
>>1300265
a lot of WW2 tanks would have massive rivets bouncing around and tearing the crew apart if they were being fired at from 50 metres away with a hail of 20mm shells like SD2 engagements
>>
>>1300272
>Rivets bouncing around from 20mm fire
20mm rounds have less energy than the tank driving into something. And you don't see British tanks shedding rivets cause they drove over a tree.
Rivets get shaven off by a big cannon or a big HE charge.
>>
>>1300265
>>1300288
You've got full on autism if you don't get why getting slammed by autocannon fire can make a vehicle retreat even when it can't be frontally penetrated by it
Psychological effects aside, there's practical reasons too. 20mm could take out a track, leaving you mobility killed and vulnerable.
Not to mention it's pretty hard to accurately rate the caliber of what's slamming into your hull anyway.
>>
>>1300325
>Get shot at by 20mm
>Drive back
>Recover
>Drive forward
>Get shot by the same 20mm again
>Run away again
>Repeat
Nigger you're the retard with autism. This is not Command Ops. This is a regular fucking video game and besides it making no real sense it's a cheap mechanic that does nothing more than ruin the pace of the game and artificially inflate the value of units that are already specialize to counter other unit types.
>>
>>1300326
Why do you keep moving your unit forward into line of fire of multiple 20mm guns that you've seen can morale break your tank?
You're retarded
Get good
>this is not Command Ops
You'd think you would be able to cope with it then
>>
Why is Army General so fucking dogshit? Once you've played one battle you've played them all. The gameplay loop is excruciating.

I really wish Eugen focused on a campaign where they made the individual battles instead, like SD44.
>>
>>1300327
>It's not a bad mechanic
>Get good
Yeah anon I'll get real good by not playing a shit dead game.
>>
>>1300331
Just keep moving on to new things to seethe over anon, as long as it makes you feel better
>>
>>1300332
>seethe
You sure seem upset that people don't like a dogshit mechanic that has plagued Eugen since RUSE. But what do I and everyone else knows. WG RD where it has been the least AIDS has the most pop of any Eugen game. Despite it being older than shit division 1
>>
>>1300338
>wargame tranny

Yep, that explains everything.
>>
>>1300340
>reddit spacing
>>
>>1298407
>The division system
It's fine
>Autistic devs add tons of western front divisions but refuse to add any western front maps because they’re lazy french retards
It's an eastern front game. There are way more Soviet divisions than western. It's like a bonus
Any tank commander getting shot by autocannons and no backing up is retarded. Optics, tracks, and all sorts of other things can get fucked up
>Maps all look the same
No
>Phase system
It's great
>French devs
True
>>
>>1295080
Yeah this p much
Every soviet division is almost the exact same. Only way to enjoy allies is to play a western nation which means pay up
>>
>>1300272
Most WWII tanks didn't have rivet armor.
>>
>>1295075
too expensive. I refuse to pirate or buy expensive games and help spread its popularity through word of mouth.
>>
>>1298407
>they’re lazy french retards

Why are french people so lazy bros? Its fucking real they are lazy as fuck
>>
>>1300933
Didn't Eugen fire most of their staff over industrial action? They pay their devslaves peanuts even by the pathetic standards of French salaries.
>>
>>1300941
they paid them too little, got sued, and never recovered the talent. their newest games are still enjoyable though.
>>
>>1298407
While not 20mm specifically, but I recall that CAS in ww2 was next to useless and that a german tank commander made a statement along the lines of
>the hardest part of surviving an air attack is stopping the green crew members from bailing out
IE: upgrade the veterinary retard. never had SD1 which is the one I played.
>>
>>1300330
SD44 chad
The smaller unit count made microing more effective and positioning and exploiting weaknesses was critical.
Half of the micro in SD2 is turning APCR off for guns.
Maybe I could just never git gud in 1v1s in SD2, but there is so much gamey shit with the flag system that it made everything pointless.
Also 44 just feels like a more focused game. I wonder how much Paradox influenced the development.
That said, Eugen are still fags for splitting up the player base over 3 games (SD44 -> SD2 / WARNO)
>>
File: kowalski's smug mug.png (197 KB, 548x516)
197 KB
197 KB PNG
>>1298742
>he doesn't know about armor degradation
>he doesn't know about spall
>>
>>1298742
Russians irl leaving behind perfectly good tanks

People still get scared even if they're in their armoured coffin
>>
Air-Land battle was peak Eugene, honorable mention to Ruse, don't @ me.
>>
>>1304974
Armor degradation happens when a Tiger 2 gets shot by about 20 Su-85s for the better part of a day.
Not by a 20mm cannon firing HE
Spalling happens when something with about a kg of high explosive hits the tank, not something that's about 20 grams.
>>
>>1295075
Look at the DLC policy, Eugen went to shit.
>>
what division(s) have the coolest infantry?
>>
>>1308027
fallschirmjager for germans
french DFL or american 2nd infantry for allies, the soviets are quite boring imo
>>
>>1295080
and Fins are comically stronger than soviets because hecking eyeareel K/D
>>
>>1300330
That and I noticed units in SD44 combat is more normal than the vet 3 unit in the open turning aimbot on and kills an entrenched unit far away
>>
IMO there should be an accuracy penalty when your target is quickly moving perpendicularly to you.
>>
>>1295075

Steel Division 2 is I think a really under-rated game. The Army General campaigns are really engrossing, the whole game feels really slick, there are so many units and so much variety, it's a really great game in a lot of ways. It's unfortunate for the devs it is not so popular and a niche title, I think it is a great product

I have a few complaints though:
>Eastern Front Only, I wish there was some way they could 'import' the SD1 campaigns and content into 2 like Total Warhammer did, or at least add Western Front Army General campaigns. SD2 made so many improvements they should add more shit to the SD2 'platform'
>The Army General campaigns are great, but honest to god sometimes they really grind you down. Sometimes there are just tons and tons of battles of easy victories but each battle is like 30-40 minutes of IRL time. Especially if you're on the defensive, the Winter War campaign as the Finns I wanted to kill myself after the 5th battle. I feel like they needed to make some simpler AG scenarios or something, some of them just go on and on and on and on.
>Also all the AG mechanics are barely explained or only explained in Frenglish so IDK what the fuck is going on
>I wish it had a normal campaign mode into addition to Army General and Historical Battles
>>
Started playing this recently, very fun game. Have 3 hours in singleplayer skirmish and can reliably beat hard AI with 26th Pzg. Wish the game explained things like radio / damage / sherman stabilisers / mg minimum range etc. because the only way to know this stuff is from looking online.
Seems like the devs don't want to do anything other than make new divs with the occasional map and AG campaign.
>>
File: deron.png (218 KB, 279x416)
218 KB
218 KB PNG
>>1295075
The game is incredibly boring, painfully slow even in comparison to wargame: red dragon and, essentially, is a very simplified and dumbed down wg:rd. If you have any rts experience and are willing to spend half an hour figuring out game mechanics with someone competent at the game, you'll go 90% winrate in ranked soloq in no time.
All that I'm going to say here mostly regards mp side of the game, single player is barely playable due to several core mechanic changes that were implemented because of mp and community feedback (more on that later, boy oh boy), which screwed up already barely working ai in skirmish mode completely.
90% of dlc decks are just a reshuffle of the same units, already existing in the game, with a couple of new ones. Some dlc decks are game-breaking, others - completely useless, mostly depends on how exactly units are allocated in the deck, most vanilla decks have a severe problem in deckbuilding (like no aa until minute 10, no tanks whatsoever, etc) while strong dlc decks usually retain solid all-round force for the duration of the whole game and are playable under pretty much all conditions.
The game balance is, supposedly, tuned for 1v1s, but since eugen lost most of its competent staff and their new formed player council called "strike team" mostly consists of incompetent people, not just "bad at the game lulz", but also completely unaware of several game mechanics and bugs, it literally takes me to make video about it in order for a game-breaking bug to get fixed, so you can assume it's not really good. There are few decent players (compared to other playerbase) over there, but due to community being this incredibly tiny, they are still allowed to participate in tournaments and basically tune the game for themselves in a lot of ways, nerfing the unit types they can't handle and buffing the ones they like.
>>
File: arty.jpg (32 KB, 398x326)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
Several game mechanics with an incredibly lazy gamedesign, i'll give just a couple examples: offmap strike is a remove units button with no warnings as a counter to actually interesting command chain mechanic that forces people to blob, aa-plane damage distribution - subject of changes for almost 3 years now, never was any close to decent, right now some planes are completely immune to flak and other die like flies in a matter of seconds.
Community is small and rather nice overall, guys really try their best to pretend they have an actual competetive game, i give them that, it leaves an ok impression for the person who is a complete stranger and maybe is attractive to someone even. There are some streamers that are half-decent at the game, altho no decent youtube content whatsoever. As a bonus you have an incredibly fun narratives that usually surround ww2 like games: perma mad USSR fanboys and wehraboos, polish nationalists and god knows what other creatures of the sea.
Maps are one of the worst aspect of this game. This game has literally zero, even remotely, balanced maps, which in addition to some deck's complete inability to handle specific types of engagements leads to literal coinflips in ranked q if you want to have fun with some deck that is "suboptimal".
>>
File: roki_0001.png (707 KB, 1280x720)
707 KB
707 KB PNG
Deckbuilding is crippled compared to wargame, a lot of problems are unsalvageable in most of the decks as whole unit types are sometimes being completely unavailable due to "historical accuracy", which eugen have literally 0 expertise in, for example giving no aa to a soviet division that was operating together with a leningrad's front aa army (quite literally a whole army of aa guns distributed to all the surrounding formations), with Madmat's reason being "there were no aa guns there, period". Historical accuracy in this game has become a meme itself, because more often that not eugen just brushes off positive game changes using it as a reason, while having no problem with monstrous imaginary Narnia-defence-force formations in the dlc's and overall funny arcade-ish game mechanics. A lot of german and soviet divisions suffered from this.
There are also teamgames, every single one of them is a complete hour-long snorefest centered around arty, counter-arty and massive plane runs. People who cant handle 1v1's usually dwell there and have a massive beef with 1v1 "elitists", with both sides being incredibly funny and cringe at the same time.
The game will be decent for you if you just want to see a nice picture, with no further investigation on how different things work in the game.
>>
>>1311360
>>1311361
>>1311362
tl:dr + you're a tranny
>>
>>1311360
I like sd2 precisely because it is slower paced. None of those bullshit 3000/km an hour planes flying around, IFVs zipping across the map in 5 seconds, and other over the top bullshit.
>>
>>1311362
Historical accuracy is always retarded in these kinds of games, Eugen should have built the core of the divisions around it for some base flavour and then added whatever other units were deemed necessary for balance. Honestly the argument is retarded anyway since you can just say that it was operating with some other division that had IS2s or Jagdpanthers fighting right next to it so they get to use those, it's not like these divisions existed in a vacuum.
>>
I love the historical battle scenarios because they often don't give you everything you need and that "working with what you're given" aspect is peak RTS imo. It's a shame that they effectively dropped them in favor of pumping out more mp divisions and AG campaigns to consoooom.
>>
File: 1665066294044090.jpg (33 KB, 666x360)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>1295075
- Suppression/surrender mechanic
- Phase system
- Reduction of asymmetrical balance with each patch
- Veterancy system
- Jewish dlc policy
- No FOB and repair of units
- Frontline border mark that removes sneak attacks from previous games
- magic disappearing transports
- off map

Flaws are many but i do have decent amount of hours in it. However i still hold on Wargame as a top game produced by them.
>>
File: 1561133965658001409.gif (1.57 MB, 498x230)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB GIF
I put like 10x more hours into WGRD and SD44, but I still think this is a good game.

I bought WARNO and I like the gameplay quite a bit as I've always favored the tactical matches. The main concern that someone pointed out to me is how fucked the DLC is going to be preventing any sort of longlasting community from forming. I'm sure Eugen is in a tough spot financially as they've basically been scraping along for years now but I hope they can strike a balance. Every WARNO early access update is a marked improvement with quite a bit of content, setting aside any balance issues.
>>
>>1312672
>wargametranny

opinion not even considered
>>
>>1295075
Eugen made it
>>
>>1312696
only the AA bugs me off to no end, le hecking F-16 being definitely not broken at all and the future arty nerf
>>
>>1295075
>Find a flaw.
Phase system sucks
Division system sucks
Game is not Wargame
>>
Romanian Magyar retard fight dlc is out
>>
>>1313074
Yep and ww1 style arty fest with it...
>>
>>1313074
is the new dlc fun?
>>
>>1313237
Probably the best army general they've put out
>>
>>1313249
how are the divisions? i like mass infantry with AT weapons especially.
>>
>>1313319
New Hungarian shitter div is essentially that
>>
>>1295080
just like in real life
the waffen SS mogs
>>
Army General is dogshit.
>>
>>1313030
>Phase system sucks
Meh, I can get it but at the same time it added another layer of strategy to deckbuilding and made timing a bigger thing in games which is good
>Division system sucks
No, you just don't like it. Having divisions that rely on weaker equipment adds a challenge to playing with them, and dueling top tier divisions is fun
>Game is not Shitty WARNO
Again, this is a case of you not liking something, not it being objectively bad
>>
>>1298742
>Autocannon unleashes hellfire upon my tank
>Leave tank, retrieve shrapnel near tank
>using my calipers and tape measure deduce the round fired was a 20mm round
>return to my position within the tank and consult my ordinance reference book for the effective penetration and range statistics of the round
>Check the range the target is at and do some light ballistics simulation in my head after brushing up on the armor measurements found in my provided operator's manual for my tank
>come to the conclusion that this autocannon is of no threat to my front armor and I shouldnt be concerned
>ignore the fact that im now fucking deaf and the shockwaves have blown half the blood vessels in my body whilst this fully automatic ordinance has been spraying my vehicle and carry on happily with my mission.
>>
>>1318186
>20mm HE rounds will disintegrate your innards if it strikes the face plate of a tank with around 100mm of effective armor
Sure is fud in here.
>>
>>1318263
Anon, I have a suggestion for you. Go get in a steel drum and pay a few guys to let loose on it with hammers while you're inside. Then come back to us and explain and how you'd totally not give absolutely anything to escape that situation.
>>
>>1318295
Nigger there are accounts of T-34 drivers getting hit with 3.7cm flak and still staying in the fight.
There are accounts of Tigers getting hit by Bofors 40mm and not stopping.
Maybe stop being a fucking fud.
>>
>>1318298
Accounts in the field are usually exagerated, misconstrued, or entirely made up. Anon >>1318295 is totally correct, go climb in a steel drum and do that, now replace hammer with a howitzer shell. And replace the steel drum with 103 degree metal box filled with diesel fumes and gunpowder residue. Its amazing to think anybody lasted more than 30 seconds in a WW2 tank.
>>
>>1318308
There are plenty of videos of people getting mortally shot and still fucking going you utter monkey. And you expect something that will do 0 fucking harm to someone to stop them dead in their tracks, repeatedly.
>>
They make retards pay for wikipedia summaries.
>>
Bump
>>
>>1295075
big post coming from a retard (me)
i haven't played in like 2 years so grains of salt for this opinion.
i liked the quality>quantity style of SD44 more, i know that's still technically a thing but i feel like even with the omega wunderwaffe german divs i would be spitting out so many tanks i would inevitably just zoom all the way out and send them to some area to chill rather than actually needing to pay attention.
at first i liked the change of ranges from sd44 at 1k max (1.2k for certain weapons IIRC) to 2k in SD2, but as i played i learned it just made it feel like you have to be incredibly careful with everything since random shit can fly nearly across half of every map from the correct angles.
every russian division felt (not gonna use "feels" since i haven't played in a while) like the same division with one or two units swapped out for something moderately interesting but not enough to want to play, while every german division felt like niche central down to the T and made it hard to choose an ideal "set" to play with.
i also liked the paratrooper units in SD44. i thought that after they all got the nerf stick they were decently balanced too. not sure if SD2 has anything like them or not. i liked the eichenlaub in SD44, is there a division in SD2 like that?

TL;DR even with my complaints i think SD2 is fine, i'm just kinda more slow paced (stupid) and i like less units in RTS so SD44 i think i enjoyed a more. it also felt more fresh. i actually think if they did something to make another SD with some more influence and constructive criticism from their previous games it could be really enjoyable. i would actually like to see some kind of RUSE comeback with SD's attempt at more realistic ballistics. could be a super interesting game.
>>
>>1319964
oh i forgot to add, i hate all of the maps (or hated, not sure if they have added much since i last played). i feel like there were a few SD44 maps which would kinda blend together but otherwise felt like every map was pretty unique whether i hated it or liked it, but there were ones i really enjoyed. in SD2 every map just blends together in my head, maybe if i played a lot i would start to recognize them better but you could honestly mash all of them together and have me randomly be placed on any of them and i'd have no idea what they are compared to others
>>
>>1319964
eugen mostly fixed the ranges issue by making main guns and AT have different ranges based on calibre, your 37mm cannon will no longer engage IS2s at 2000 metres pointlessly
>>
>>1295075
One big fault of recent games by Eugen, IMO, is voice acting. Or direction rather.

In RUSE I remember all the flavor that each nation had, the "BWOH!" of the German tankers as they would shoot or the sarcasm in the recon/artillery of the U.S.

Meanwhile their newer games are like "ok just repeat the same exact line but google translated to the other language." It's lazy.
>>
>>1295075
autoresolve is retarded, i outnumber Jerry 5 to 1 and it STILL ends in major defeat what the FUQ
i like that the autoresolve forces you to git gud instead of just running blobs like lemmings and clicking the "skip gameplay" button
love this game
t. bought it two weeks ago and can't put it down
>>
>>1315965
they mogged all the way to the reichstag lmao
>>
>>1295075
Not enough people playing strategic
>>
>>1295075
It took them far too long to put out the turda update.

Also, no ability for user created campaigns
>>
>>1306515
ALB had the best campaign for sure.
>>
No urban maps
>>
>>1320391
they promised a map editor for sd2 and never delivered. now, they promised one for their next game, WARNO. i have a feeling they wont deliver.
>>
>>1320395
and that's a good thing
close range combat is the worst part of the game
>>
>>1320402
I just want a RTS game with a campaign element that I can use to create goofy campaigns with my friends
>>
>>1320405
t. King tiger user
>>
File: doppel.jpg (96 KB, 1413x1162)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>1322455
*destroys your entire division from 2000 metres away*

seethe
>>
>>1295082
Which div is that? Koruck?
>>
>>1295075
bump

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.