[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 58 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ir_vs_rs[1].png (2.77 MB, 1920x830)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB PNG
Expanding Fronts 1.5 just came out today
Adds Imperial Remnant, New Republic, and Black Sun as factions. Between these and Zann Consortium, Geonosians, First Order, and Resistance, EF has now added more civs than existed in the base game on release.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-galactic-battlegrounds-expanding-fronts/news/expanding-fronts-150-now-available

Get the fuck in here bros.
>>
Fucking finally
>>
File: IR first win.png (1.61 MB, 1920x1080)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB PNG
Eked out my first Imperial Remnant win. I was a bit rusty but things stabilized pretty fast. My thoughts?
>building defensive buildings 20% faster is no joke
>it feels really weird having Sith Masters who are on par with, say, Rebel Jedi Masters - Stealth, conversion, etc.
>also spamming Sith Knights and Shadowtroopers is nuts, what ended up saving my ass was their ability to churn them out so fucking fast that I think it even outpaced their trooper production at points
>Viper droids are cool
>>
>>1293926
Love that game but nuwars Yidsney garbage is not welcome
>>
File: Kyletarantino.png (191 KB, 640x300)
191 KB
191 KB PNG
>>1293973
Those 3 are from old EU
>>
>>1293973
Then don't use them - in fact, go out of your way to make them your designated punching bags
>>
File: BS win.png (1.44 MB, 1920x1080)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
The most busted unique unit in the game
>fires big plasma balls that deal a fuckload of damage with AoE
>incredibly durable, I only had two "die"
>when they do die, they just come back as a faster version with flamethrowers for melee combat
>not even that expensive
I guess it's made up for by how lacking Black Sun's ground forces are otherwise. They're the only non-light side faction with really shitty mechs. Even the Imperial Remnant had fairly decent ones.
>>
>>1293926
How does GB compare to AoE?
>>
>>1293996
A fair amount of it is 1:1 (cannons are straight up trebuchets for instance), but the game is different on a fundamental level by virtue of almost everything being a ranged unit. There's also power to worry about, shields and shield generators, aircraft.
>>
>>1294000
Are factions more distinct or is it just reskins?
>>
>>1294014
They’re very distinct, I’d say. You’ll recognize some civ traits from AoE, but I feel that, especially with Expanding Fronts, they take it farther and try to make every faction excel at something. Like, they should each have a “best _____ in game” factor about them, if that makes sense.
>>
File: 1662368541794904.jpg (66 KB, 580x580)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>Start a custom game
>Somehow I see AI New Republic faction and not mine Black Sun
>AI keeps producing units and is building stuff on it's own
>I can at any moment I wish take control of any unit I want
>I take control over scout and I send it where I assume my faction is supposed to be
>Nothing happens there, since Black Sun is awaiting my command, but I'm somehow sharing control with AI over New Republic
>Scout is blown up by Black Sun base defenses
what the fugg
>>
>>1294054
This is a weird bug that happens sometimes, no real rhyme or reason, just need to restart.
>>
>>1294054
>>1294079
>>
>>1293926
I remember playing this in 2019 and it kept crashing during campaign.
Felt bad man. Was really enjoying playing it again.
>>
>>1294120
EF isn’t really meant for the campaigns, but from what I gather they actually have been improving them lately. Like taking away the anti-air tech from the AT-ATs on the Rebel Hoth mission.
>>
>Imperial Remnant pulls heavily from Thrawn, with Scimitar bombers, army troopers, and Noghri pulled from it
>also pulls heavily from Dark Empire, with its Sith focus and TIE/Tank/Shadow/Viper droids
>with a little bit of Jedi Outcast and even Empire at War thrown in
God this civ is the tits
>>
File: MAP011.jpg (2.05 MB, 3588x1890)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>1294339
For me, it's the New Republic
>>
>>1293973
IIRC the devs hate Disney continuity but they added them because there's nothing else to add
>>
>>1295676
>Literally added 3 new civilizations this last patch
>>
Is it just me or does the Imperial Remnant seem very low tech appearance wise?
>>
>>1295687
Yeah, for most of their run they were barely surviving, holed up on their “fortress worlds”. They’re so undermanned they need to resort to army troopers instead of stormtroopers for ground missions. They needed either Thrawn’s cunning or Palpatine’s trove of insane superweapons to match the New Republic in a fight.
>>
Does this game have dark troopers? Are there maps where only spaceships are allowed?
>>
>>1295807
Dark Troopers are the Imperial unique unit. They excel at slaughtering troopers.
Not quite, you need workers on the ground and all, but there are maps where each player is separated by open space and the only way to cross is with aircraft.
>>
>GOD TIER
Black Sun

>HIGH TIER
Empire, Rebels, Confederacy, First Order, New Republic

>MID TIER
Gungans, Royal Naboo, Wookiees, Republic, Zann Consortium, Resistance, Imperial Remnant

>LOW TIER
Trade Federation, Geonosians
>>
>>1295687
No more than the GE does already imo
>>
File: ef tiers.png (323 KB, 1140x465)
323 KB
323 KB PNG
>>1295871
Nah
>>
File: scr133.png (1.51 MB, 1920x1080)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB PNG
Love this shit. Never knew how much fun force users could be.
>being Imperial Remnant, am specialized in defense
>build an impenetrable barrier with walls, turrets, anti-air batteries, anti-air turrets, and a fortress
>while hundreds of New Republic troops, aircraft, mechs, even Jedi suicide against my insurmountable wall, I get to work building my forces, starting with three Sith Masters
>position the Sith Masters outside, and have them convert enemy fighters and APCs in particular
>keep the fighters in reserve, move the APCs into the base
>have my troop centers training dozens of army troopers and my mech factories cranking out TIE crawlers, tank droids, viper droids, a few APCs of my own
>have an airbase building some shadow droids too, adding them to the NR fighters I've already captured
>for the coup de grace, shadowtroopers. around 30 or 40, notable for having bonuses vs almost everything that exists on the ground

>decide it's time to finish the fight, send the giant mech army out in front, APCs fully loaded with army troopers
>shadowtroopers go and engage the enemy at the front of their base, absolutely tear their shit inside-out
>Jedi Masters start coming out to fight the shadowtroopers
>my own Sith Masters come over and start converting every single Jedi Master in sight
>end up with an army of Jedi Masters and shadowtroopers led by three Sith Masters
>they get into the base, start converting turrets, troop centers, power cores, as the air units come and attack their workers and my mechs are forcing their way in
>level the entire fucking base, almost all of my casualties being converted units
>>
Star Wars universe sucks ass, I am not going to play it.
>>
>>1293926
Best AoE 2 expansion
Thanks OP
>>
>>1297491
The saturation on some of those units and buildings seems a little intense
>>
File: placeholder vs final.png (288 KB, 974x401)
288 KB
288 KB PNG
>>1297545
Agreed
The NR buildings are placeholders though
>>
Qrd on new civs?
>>
>>1294014
Factions are already pretty distinct in aoe, they all have their unique economic bonuses that make them stronger in different things, and different research trees and units. Same in this
>>
>>1297563
One has a blue pew, the other a red pew, but the third one has a yellow pew.
>>
>>1295676
Let's be real here they added them because first order has some cool looking designs, new trilogy is shit but they did have some nice looking aesthetics
>>
>>1297791
Nothing I dislike about this btw, as a RTS faction they look nice
>>
>>1297563
IR = Somewhat weaker Empire in most regards, has big defensive buffs like better and faster-built defenses, also has the best Sith and a unique Sith that's cheaper and better at fighting

NR = Basically a more well-balanced Rebel Alliance, worse air but better ground game, UU is an airspeeder that fucks up anything on the ground but can't attack air

BS = Able to get units out faster, but only troops and Nightsisters are particularly spectacular, also has cloaked traders which is cool, UU is a giant droid that keeps fighting after it's killed
>>
>>1293926
How is multiplayer population?
>>
>>1298024
Currently 23 players on Voobly.
>>
Is moddb currently under attack or something? A week or so ago I downloaded a smaller mod for a different game and got a warning that a file is containimg malware I didn't think much of it then. Now I download this mod and get the warning that a file contains tr/ad.kbot.teemt
>>
Is this a good game or just a shitty AoE ripoff?
>>
>>1298479
Sounds like an over-sensitive antivirus
>>
>>1298480
It has its fans but has never achieved the same level of success as AoE despite having the branding of one of the biggest IPs of all time.
But it's $2 on Steam, and I'd say it's worth that much.
>>
Did they manage to unfuck soundtrack finally? It's a crime that a Star Wars game has this badly designed soundtrack. Soundtrack must be half a reason why this franchise is so successful.
>>
>>1299071
The soundtrack is just a single OGG file, you can freely replace it - or just mute it.
>>
>>1296630
The TF lover in me is very sad
>>
>>1299152
Ignore him, TF's ground game is too strong for them to be that bad
>mechs so strong their AATs can beat the Empire's AT-STs in a straight fight
>troops are shit but extremely cheap, no reason not to spam tons of them
>heavy weapons are great, so are their ships
The only area they're truly deficient in is air.
>>
Black sun might be my favourite faction now holy shit, night sisters and those giant droids go so hard
>>
File: TX-130T720.wmv.jpg (140 KB, 1280x720)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
It seems like they're giving the factions another unique unit considering how the Imperial Remnant operates.

That being said, when are we gonna get that TX-130 for the Republic's second unique? I still remember that video they made years ago with it, and it'd go very well with their beam laser unique tech.
>>
File: republic vs new republic.png (1.6 MB, 1920x1080)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
>>1299496
This update has given me a new appreciation for force users in general (minus the Knights of Ren, can't even convert buildings lmao)
>>
>>1299587
The concept of that unit is pretty great.
>>
How do you smooth out the panning in this game? I hate how old strategy games stutter when you pan in them.
>>
>>1299984
Don't pan, use hotkeys or direct map clicks to get around
>>
>Resistance
>is derived from the new canon, which threw out the old one for the sake of letting writers be creative without restrictions imposed by decades-old works
>every one of their aircraft (fighters, bombers, interceptors, attackers) are exactly what the Rebels have, they barely have anything that could have been used instead

>New Republic
>is literally the old canon that got canned so they could be 'creative'
>every single one of their aircraft is something I've never seen before in my life
This goes without saying but fuck Disney.
>>
>>1300065

No, I like to pan.

Is there any way to smooth it out?
>>
I just fucking realize the Gladiator Droid is literally the Konnik, a cavalry/mech unit that turns into an infantry/trooper after death
>>
>>1300891
Do you have 60 FPS enabled?

>>1300892
Definitely a factor in its design
Fun fact: Xizor's Gladiator Droid is in the scenario editor and it has one extra form - the head comes off and fights after you take down the torso.
>>
What do you think they should add next? Faction wise or unit wise, anything goes.

For me, I'd want a sniper as a faction's unique unit. Have it fire that beam attack from Battlefront so it instantly hits the target.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (44 KB, 1024x768)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>1301321
I want Trandoshans first and foremost, but I'm also interested in how Mandalorians or Yuuzhan Vong would turn out.
>>
>>1301321
I would love some new UU for the old factions, I know, I know, 20 years of autismo balance, but the new factions getting unique force units or mechanically interesting like the new Droid make the old ones lack a little punch.

Other than that, a Old Republic faction would be interesting, and anything that uses Uglies as their starfighters
>>
>>1295871
>>1296630
What makes TF shit? I haven't played in years and I used to love them.
>>
>>1301575
Huge carbon penalty makes their early game, where most PVP games are decided, quite weaker.
>>
>>1301595
That was also a huge problem for Huns in AOE2, wasn't it?
>>
>>1301321
I would do this in this order
>The fact that we got EU Black Sun and a literally who Zann before Hutts is bizarre. Hutts are third faction from movies. They should be in a BASE game desu
>GW/CW Mandos are right behind Hutts, CIS, Republic, Rebels and Empire factions. They are also needed
>Trandoshans would be good for rivalry with Wookies
>After that Kotor factions
>>
>>1301610
To an extent, they had a bit more going for them than the TF does, though EF does help them quite a bit. As long as they can get to TL4, they're very good.
>>
File: tiers.png (899 KB, 1208x654)
899 KB
899 KB PNG
>>1296630
>no link
https://tiermaker.com/create/swgb-expanding-fronts-civilizations-283801

Also nah
No civs are so bad as to be unviable, it's just a matter of how many weaknesses they have. Empire and New Republic are great all-around.
>>
File: latest[1].png (219 KB, 424x243)
219 KB
219 KB PNG
Are these guys the most useless unit in the game?
>>
>>1302643
are those the medics?
>>
Do Trandoshans get a lot of appearances in EU content or something? I don't get why they'd warrant a whole faction to themselves
At least Gungans and Wookiees appear in the films as civilisations with armies
I'd go straight to Mandalorians and KOTOR factions at this point
>>
>>1293954
Droid niggas.
>>
>>1302684
Those are the bounty hunters

>>1302708
>I don't get why they'd warrant a whole faction to themselves
They are the enemies of the Wookiees and they already have units from the campaign
>>
>>1302708
Yeah. They like to hunt Wookies and sell them to slavery. You fight them in Republic Commando and they are in Clone Wars on Kashyyyk. I'm pretty sure they were in some comics too. In Kotor 1 Czerka was bullying Wookies too, and I think I recall them using Trandoshan mercs.

I also would like them because I like having ayys in my space settings. For this same reason I also like that they added Geonosians
>>
>>1302643
They're really good against force users, so if your opponent is spamming them, just get those guys.

Never got why the Republic's bounty hunter was IG-88. He wasn't even in the prequels.
>>
File: trandoshan stuff.png (326 KB, 787x547)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
>>1302708
For me, there are a few key points
>they do have a big presence in the EU, so much so that they have a worker droid already laid out for them
>a lot could be pulled from Republic Commando and Clone Wars and a litany of other works as far as units go, a large number are already in the editor
>their traits and unique techs practically write themselves - a bonus to hunting and herding, they get paid a sum of nova for each force user killed, a focus on troop mobility and raiding
>a fair few options for the unique unit, Republic Commando alone gives us three mechanically distinct ones with the shotgun merc, heavy merc, and the ones with the concussion rifles
>according to SWGB devs, Trandoshans were originally intended to be one of the civs, and that's why the Wookiee campaign features them so prominently
The only reason they aren't in EF yet is apparently because the devs want to keep with the architectural style used for their buildings in base GB (presumably because the kinds of buildings seen in RC might look too similar to what Mandalorians will get), but those kinds of organic-looking high curvature buildings are harder to model well.
>>
>>1303079
Here are some early Trandoshan troop center concepts
>>
File: zUpPQfF[1].png (148 KB, 386x295)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
>>1303080
And here's an early Mandalorian troop center
>>
>>1302643
If you're up against a faction with mediocre force users, they're not that important.
If you're up against any faction with masters, and you don't have bounty hunters, you're absolutely fucked.
>>
>>1303079
Worker droid? Just give them the wookie worker instead. They're slavers so it fits with the faction.
>>
>>1303079
>>their traits and unique techs practically write themselves - a bonus to hunting and herding, they get paid a sum of nova for each force user killed, a focus on troop mobility and raiding
Interesting they should be the ones with regeneration since IIRC, they can regenerate lost limbs, but that's already a Wookie unique tech. Unless is something that they get nerfed but for free
>>
>>1303154
I think they could get regen and detection ability in a tech, the Wookiee version gives them a bunch of HP and armor on top so it’s not like it’d be too strictly similar.
>>
>>1303135
I don’t think they actually keep or use Wookiee slaves, they more prefer to just kill and skin them. AFAIK they only take slaves when paid to.
>>
>Try to summon a death star
>game crashes
Glad they finally fixed it.
>>
File: cheat units.png (452 KB, 1220x476)
452 KB
452 KB PNG
>>1303211
I didn't even know that was ever a bug.
>>
File: CIS.png (1.48 MB, 1920x1080)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB PNG
The new CIS buildings have really grown on me.
>>
Do people play online at all? Seems like the type of game to have a pretty casual audiance.
>>
>>1301661
>Trandoshans
I always thought this was a slam dunk. They basically have an entire civilisation laid out from Republic Commando, the Clone Wars etc.
>>
>>1305107
Yeah there's usually a good few people online on Gameranger and Voobly. A lot do pvp, but some just do team matches vs computers.
>>
>>1293926
>First Order, and Resistance
No, thanks.
>>
>>1306618
>more content is bad
Your loss
>>
>Garrisoned troopers in gunships add more firing banks.
What a cool touch.
>>
File: FO AM.png (443 KB, 862x602)
443 KB
443 KB PNG
>>1307152
I wish we got even more flavorful, mechanically unique techs like that.
>Rebel aircraft get repairs from their onboard astromechs
>MTTs are able to carry twice as many battle droids/droidekas with deployment racks
>First Order AT-M6 walkers are able to use the big cannons on their backs as well as their main guns
>>
Have they fixed the vanilla campaigns and added in the new units? I'd love to see the Republic missions have some ARC troopers.
>>
>>1307426
Empire Assault Mech/AT-ATs can shoot aircraft and have no minimum range with a tech.
>>
>>1307477
The only campaign editing they'll do is stuff like disabling Walker Research in the Rebel Hoth mission
>>
>>1306618
The sequels being shit doesn't carry over to their civs, they're actually both pretty cool.
>>
File: super sad pepe.jpg (25 KB, 399x400)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>1307943
>no revamped campaign with the new factions and editor units

Damn, I was really looking forward to that.Oh well.
>>
>>1307989
Having some slightly different-looking troopers wouldn't be as fun as it sounds, I assure you.
I could go for some new campaigns though. Like the TPM scenarios included with the mod, they're pretty fascinating.
>>
>>1308295
> Add Black Sun faction
> Nazi faction
This new factions is retarded.
>>
>>1309197
t. tnofag
>>
>>1309345
Only the Nazis used black sun. Not a single game has a similar faction where there is a black sun, because they understand that this is the symbolism of Nazism. Only an idiot would think of calling Farction a black sun. Nobody named and the author of this mod did it as if he was a fan of the Nazis. This is offensive to Star Wars fans.
>>
>>1309364
Boy we got a major dumbfuck around here.

Buddy, it's not a reference to your edgy map painter mod. The name's been around for a long time.
>>
File: black sun.png (495 KB, 1185x796)
495 KB
495 KB PNG
>>1309197
>>1309364
You could have just said 'bump' anon
>>
File: 1661394121518.gif (301 KB, 430x320)
301 KB
301 KB GIF
>>1309197
>Never played Shadows of the Empire
Quit being a retard forever
>>
>>1308295
I'd like to see a Journal of the 501st inspired campaign
I noticed the scenario editor even has the command posts from the Battlefront games in there, and Gizor Dellso is a Geonosian hero unit
>>
The game need HD mod and fix music bugs.
>>
>>1309389
>>1309345
I read the history of this shit. I did not know that the authors of Star Wars called one of the factions the black sun - I thought it was an improvisation by the author of the mod. This just goes to show how bad Star Wars is.
>>
>>1309364
>>1309467
>Never played/read Shadows of the Empire
>Never played the X-Wing tabletop game.
>Never watched The Clone Wars show.
>Never played any of the EAW mods that changed Zann to Black Sun.
>Did not read any RPG supplements.
>Did not play any of the SW Card games.
>Never read any of the comics or books where the syndicate showed up.
You are not a SW fan, and most likely just a shit troll.
>>
>>1309791
Ever since the 2016 elections, trolls have been replaced by people who believe they're in good company. Anything that can be perceived as we call trolling, is what they genuinely believe now. The containment board broke years ago.
>>
File: 63243075983.png (806 KB, 1366x768)
806 KB
806 KB PNG
>>1293975
>>1293973
The legends factions are actually a mix of EU and d*sney canon. The New Republic, for example uses the ant droid from the Boomer Fett show.

>>1293991
I tried Black Sun the other day and I don't know if it was the AI or something but they felt sluggish: Waves of repeaters went after my army (which they outranged) and didn't fire back unless I ordered them.
The V-wing on the other hand is a fucking monster, had to put my AA into spread formation.
>>
>>1309966
Gladiator droids are very sluggish, especially since Black Sun usually won't use their mechs and won't build a mech factory to get those speed upgrades that the gladiators really need. They have a very long reload time on their volleys as well, but when you have a line of them firing at once, everything melts.

Yeah V-Wings are really fucking crazy, shadowtroopers are pretty good too. All the new civs have great UUs.
>>
Man I love the quality of the mod. Looks REALLY good and really captures the style of the game. Shame this will never get a proper HD remake like with AoE.
>>
>Go to download mod to check it out.
>Say it will take 3 hours.

How big is this thing?
>>
>>1310042
773.67mb
>>
>>1310031
I don't even know if I'd want it by this point, going back to Confederacy being based all around Geonosis, Episode II being the most recent addition to the canon.
>>
>>1301661
>>1301321
How would you make a Hutt Cartel civ? Besides the obvious Desert Skiff/Gamorrean Guard combo from ep. VI, I had a hard time finding troops/mech/ships in both og canon and mouse. I did find this thing, but is from the Old Republic era.
And speaking of Old Republic, those civs have a similar issue to the one the Imperial Remnant and New Republic had, they have a lot of sources to pick from: You have the Tales of the Jedi era, the KOTOR era, and the SWTOR era.
>>
>>1310103
They don't strictly need to be Hutt Cartel-exclusive. There's a ton of vehicles and the like used by criminal elements that they could take on, as well.
Old Republic and Sith Empire, if they ever happened, would probably be based on TOR with KotOR stuff in the editor. Which is one reason I'm not too crazy about the idea of them. If I knew they'd be KotOR instead, I'd be quite happy to see them next.
>>
File: file.png (1.66 MB, 1600x885)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB PNG
>>1310103
I can see their mech roster looking like this, honestly. You could even make it so the Sails only appear in the Heavy upgrades.
For ships, you could use Imperial/Republic/Confederacy ships that aren't used already since that's what criminals and space pirates use in canon IIRC, old stuff, You could give them uglies too, they also fit.
The Hutt's use of mercenaries and bounty hunters allows them to use practically anything honestly, you could use some races that have no chance of being a playable civilization like the three-eyed Gran or the Bothans
>>
>>1309966
>The legends factions are actually a mix of EU and d*sney canon

There's also the Imperial Remnant using Mudtroopers for infantry,so if you wanna roleplay as the regular Imperial army guys, you can use them.
>>
>>1310118
The Grans better be the grenadier/mortar troops for the Hutts, just saying.
>>
File: latest[1].png (1.14 MB, 1000x1400)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
>>1309966
A positive is that, originally, the New Republic was going to use R1 droids, which instead went to Black Sun. The original Black Sun worker (pic related) is now being held in reserve for a potential Hutt Cartel civ.
>>
>>1310118
I forgot about the Barge. It could actually fit as the Assault Mech (the original game already had stuff like the MTT and Droid Tank being on par with an AT-AT, so it's not so outlandish). Also, a mobile game already used the skiff, coincidentally, as an anti-vehicle unit.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Anti-Vehicle_Skiff
>>
Post ideas for campaigns
>>
>>1310414
Highlights campaign covering bits and pieces of the various games, such as Jedi Power Battles, Demolition, Starfighter, Jedi Starfighter, Clone Wars, Dark Forces, Jedi Outcast, even Battlefront, so on.

Sheev-oriented campaign covering his career, from running the Trade Federation invasion of Naboo, to orchestrating the Clone Wars, to establishing the Empire, to fighting the Rebels, to his death and eventual return as head of the Dark Empire.
>>
>>1310420
They would need some serious scripting and changes to unit HP/armor/attack speed/dmg and abilities as to not end up with anticlimactic duels of jedi and sith doing the same animation over and over again until one of them dies. Honestly don't have much hope on them being anything more than glorified cutscenes where you just guide two heroes and kill some units until you hit the end trigger
>>
>>1310449
Not that anon but if I was making Jedi Outcast/Academy campaigns at least I'd probably change the levels up to be more RTS appropriate
>What if Jaden Korr went in with commandos
>What if Tavion's forces had more of a budget
>Alternate history levels where the protagonist/s died and the situation escalated dramatically
Would probably help to design the mission gimmick before the mission plot too so at least it's interesting/fun to play even if it's light on story/characters
>>
>>1310449
What the other anon said. Obviously Demolition would suck shit if it were just "here's a bunch of editor units on a random map, go hunt down and kill the other contestants", but if it were some sort of anachronistic "you're the Rebels facing Wookiees, Imperials, droids, even Clones, kill as many units as you can within 30 minutes to win!" it could be fun.
>>
>>1310414
A Dark Empire Luke Campaign that starts as New Republic, changes to Imperial Remnant, then back to New Republic
>>
File: Shell Hutt.png (1.21 MB, 1400x1340)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB PNG
>>1310322
Grans for grenadiers
Gamorreans as unique melee "mounted" troops since they are very iconic but I don't see them as fortress units
Twilek or Tusken raiders as trooper and antiair trooper line, through it, could be any race if those seem to outplace.
Fortress Unique Unit should be the Hutt themselves, or at least the Shell Hutt, they would fit well as some sort of Teuton equivalent I feel.
>>
>>1295676
>Nothing else to add
Entire KotoR/SWotoR eras and other time periods form the EU that includes stuff like the Fel Empire and a bunch of different alien factions.
Shitney stuff should have been the absolute bottom of the barrel like if the are struggling to come up with a 50th faction to add.
>>
So how canon is sea warfare in Starwars? As much as I loved GB this part always bothered me since SW never really touched on this, and well with all the advanced tech I would think that eventually naval would be phased out.
>>
>>1310959
I wonder if you can actually turn those factions from the New Jedi Order era and onward into playable civilizations. The Fel Empire still fielded stormtroopers, if memory serves, and the Galactic Federation isn't much different from the New Republic in appearance.
>>
File: Waveskimmers-GIE.png (2.4 MB, 1858x1274)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB PNG
>>1310976
It's canon I'd assume, they just don't really use it.
>>
>>1310976
>naval would be phased out
Star Wars isn't technically post-scarcity so all those space ships you'd have floating above the water would be an unnecessary energy expenditure
It'd be way easier to hold a planet like Kamino or Naboo (sorta) or Manaan with a sea navy that just floats and/or submerses
>>
>>1310976
>So how canon is sea warfare in Starwars?
Is canon, There was a whole civil war between the Mon Calamari/Republic and the Quarren/CIS.

However, most of the vehicles on Galactic Battlegrounds were made up for the game.
>>
File: TIE-Mauler.png (323 KB, 506x402)
323 KB
323 KB PNG
>>1310976
>advanced tech
It's just a bunch of rule of cool (and also just random dumb shit) don't overthink it
They had hyperdrives for thousands of years but still fight with infantry at extreme close range sometimes with melee weapons.
Starfighters often with hyperdrives of their own installed dogfight like they are planes inside a planets atmosphere.
>>
>>1311150
Isn't most of the technology in Star Wars just copied from the ancient Rakkata and other ancient species?
>>
>>1311184
Maybe in nuCanon but in EU they are just one of the first hypserpace capable species.
>>
What are mounted troopers, grenadiers and artillery for? The first too supposedly are anti-mech but a Destroyer Mech does a much better job, and artillery feel like a shittier version of the aoe2 onagers.
>>
>>1311206
Mounted troopers make for decent early harassment, and en masse they're pretty good for taking out buildings and turrets (especially in campaigns and against AI since they never seem to bother with the murder holes equivalent tech)
Never really bothered with grenadiers, they just kill more useful units
>>
>>1311206
Mounted troopers fucking rape heavy weapons.
Artillery are generally good vs anything on the ground, they don't specifically counter anything.

A group of grenadiers are able to absolutely fuck mechs up. For some factions, like Rebels or Black Sun, they're probably your best anti-mech option.
>>
>>1310103
Turn Jedi Knight Hutt enemies into troops. Rodian Snipers, those Cow grenadiers, Generic Human Mercs etc.
>>
File: Thanks I guess.png (248 KB, 800x401)
248 KB
248 KB PNG
Incredible, I couldn't have figured this one out on my own. The devs are truly aiding the community's comprehension with these helpful descriptions.

Jokes aside, this thread got me into playing the game. I love how the game goes from zero to a trillion by giving you an easy last tutorial mission before launching you to the droids campaign. Jesus, I may not be a brilliant AoE player but they strike before I can even set up properly. I am enjoying the game regardless, but I think I need a different approach. Any basic tips?
>>
>>1312635
Have some mounted troopers in reserve in case they send pummels, don't forget to fish.
>>
File: BehindTheLines_map.png (184 KB, 421x213)
184 KB
184 KB PNG
>>1312635
I recall there was an exploit in the second mission (where you need to recover a cube from an island stronghold), just move an unit around the lake's border north of your starting point and you will capture two transports, you can then load the technician (load him inside OOM-9 beforehand) and try to make a rush towards the cube then back to the transports. Otherwise you'll have to go in a spiral and clear group after group of troops and turrets (and in hard there's at least one assault mech). The one mission I never cleared in hard was the bonus scenario, that was a fucking nightmare.
>>
>>1312635
Much like AoE2, units have various hidden damage modifiers against different armor classes that are all also hidden, except they're even more ridiculous and unbalanced in this game. So you can't tell much by looking at a unit's stats, except for the unit's hit point total and attack range.

If you want to keep it simple, strike mechs are a hard counter to all troop units (being faster and able to both out-range and out-damage them), heavy strike mechs are a counter to enemy mechs. Troop units of your own can be considered fodder whenever mechs are available. If all you get is troops then try to stay ahead in upgrades, so you at least match the enemy's range, otherwise they'll just kite you and be annoying.

Also be mindful of elevation. I think it's the exact same as AoE2, which is that units on high ground both deal extra damage to units on low ground and take reduced damage from them. The game occasionally pulls a trick on you by giving what looks like trenches in some maps that actually just cause your units to die faster.
>>
>>1312654
Meant to say that mech destroyers are a counter to enemy mechs, ironically forgot what they were called
>>
>>1312650
On that mission in particular it helps to rush the airbase before they can get any air units out, because god damn once they start raiding they never stop
Makes me feel like a lot of the campaign AI is totally bugged, either they're super aggressive and send everything at you at once or they're passive and never bother attacking you
>>
>>1311206
grenadier and artty do AoE damage and I think do bonus damage to shield. grenadier also count as hvy infantry so they are a bit more resilant to anti infantry unless otherwise noted.
>>
>>1312650
Oh, I already beat that mission but holy shit was it frustrating.
I had no problems traveling to the cube, but establishing a base while being raided by the red airbase was a nightmare. I was initially expecting my gigantic trooper army to be enough against the yellow base, like this was a fun mission, and they got absolutely destroyed by the mechs waiting there. So instead (after restarting) I had to mass produce anti air troopers while hoping the enemy ships didn't take out my workers.
>>
>>1312654
They aren't hidden in Aoe though? Their attack type and armor type are in their stat card unless you mean there isn't an explanation of what actually counters what. It's all pretty straight forward history channel stuff though.
Spears counter cav, cav kills archers, camels counter non-camel cav because horses are scared of camels or something.
>>
>>1312723
Oh, and I also loved how the troopers you get after recovering the cube are not affected by any upgrades you research. Fun.
>>
>>1312725
>They aren't hidden in Aoe though?
????
Armor types and bonus damage are hidden from the player.
Hell, Camels had ship-armor for like 20 years
>>
>>1312687
There's not actually any such thing as a 'bonus vs shields', the descriptions there are just plain wrong.
>>
>download mod
>Havent played in years.
>do 3v3 AI.
>oh shit this is gonna be fun!
>one ally dies in 5 seconds, the other does nothing.
>Remember that the game has a really weird way to determine AI personalities.
>pretty much 3v1
>Take out 2.
>can't take out last guy because resources are to scares and I suck to much to be able to renforce fast enough.
>quit

it was still fun. Probably should not have chosen trade federation, they do kind of suck.
>>
>Wedge Antilles in the Rebel campaign going on about how the Jedi were just a myth from his childhood
I kinda wish the timeline wasn't so scuffed
>>
File: 1653345563386.png (304 KB, 800x600)
304 KB
304 KB PNG
Thanks for really elevating this moment, Disney
I don't even wanna know what they did to Wedge
>>
>>1312766
TF really just has a sharp learning curve. The faster you hit TL4, the faster they get really good. They get 25% off their troops, some of the best land units across the board in the game, one of the best UUs.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH95pFZctCc
I can't believe the scripting you can do with the editor these days, it's amazing
I'm not sure it'll ever be Warcraft 3-tier map editing but it still blows my mind they've come this far
>>
>>1312725
Have a look here: https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Halberdier_(Age_of_Empires_II)

>Attack bonus
>+32 vs Cavalry
>+28 vs War elephant
>+26 vs Camel
>+17 vs Ship
>+17 vs Fishing Ship
>+11 vs Mameluke
>+1 vs Eagle Warrior
>+1 vs Standard building

These are things you just need to know because all of these bonus damage channels completely ignore normal and pierce armor and can be more significant than the listed base damage/armor values. To make it even more convoluted some units have specific resistances against certain bonus damage channels, such as the Cataphract's +12 cavalry class armor (+16 for elite). Some interactions are completely nonsensical, such as chu-ko-nu having a melee damage channel on all their arrows with a value of 0 just so they would deal bonus damage against a ram's negative melee armor.
>>
>>1312929
And an example for SWGB: https://swgb.fandom.com/wiki/Strike_Mech

>The Strike Mech unit has a bonus against the following armor classes:

>+1 to Tame Animals, Heavy Weapons, Decimators
>+3 to Ships, Submarines, Workers
>+4 Base Ranged, DuraArmor
>+5 to Pummels & Cannons
>+11 to Mounted Troopers
>+12 to Troopers
>+14 to Jedi & Bounty Hunters

>The Strike Mech has the following armor classes:

>0 - Heavy Weapons
>0 - Assault Machines
>2 - Base Melee/Armor
>5 - Base Ranged/ Melee Armor

All the game lists is an attack value of 4 which means jack shit because all the meaningful damage comes from its bonus damage vs trooper and mounted trooper armor classes.
>>
File: resistance.png (21 KB, 602x421)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>1293926
>25% less carbon to build mechs
>built 25% faster too
>applies to their ski speeders, resulting in them taking 7 seconds to build
Is the Resistance secretly broken?
>>
>>1314607
Haven't played with them after the update, but they felt pretty lackluster last time I checked
>>
>>1314607
They were Rebels-lite before, now they're more distinct.
>worse troops, but not so bad that they're on the level of some of the others
>mechs are surprisingly really good, outside of no assault mechs, even getting some upgrades that mech-focused civs sometimes miss, and scavenged components makes them much more spammable
>jedi are a disgrace
>heavy weapons aren't too bad either, no hvy pummel and a missing HP upgrade is all
>aircraft are really good, their bombers especially, but they all get speed boosts innately
>fortresses having their own power generation lets them use fortresses to more aggressively and quickly set up small bases - plop down a fortress and you can put a shield generator, airbase, mech factory, and troop center on each side of it
>>
>>1293965
Yep, honestly, the Imperial Remnant ended up being the Dark Empire for the most part. That Sith/Shadowtrooper spam is insane.
>>
File: imperial remnant.png (764 KB, 1529x778)
764 KB
764 KB PNG
>>1315301
Not a bad direction I think, not sure how much more interesting a purely Pellaeon-era IR would be.
>>
What faction is the best for zerg rushing?
>>
>>1315306
Eh, I'm just happy having the Imperial Army instead of Stormtroopers for once. In the old SWGB I spammed Grenade troopers as the Empire for roleplay purposes.
Honestly, there are so many Imperial techs made throughout the years they could keep making factions, like Zsinj, Chiss, maybe even Empire of the Hand / Thrawn faction with Ysalamiri gimmicks, Spaarti clones, Mount Tantis monument, Spacetrooper unique unit.
One thing I'd like to see is more unique buildings, Remnant and the NR are just repainted old factions (as if the Rebel buildings didn't already look too respectable for their own good). I think with the Remnant they might as well have gone full into the Dark Empire theme and given them Sith-style buildings (the Monument already reminds of Bast Castle).
I'm hoping people will start making cmpaigns for the new civs, I'd love a campaign as the Imperial Remnant in its various stages. Maybe an Imperial Civil War scenario (you could use Jedi-less Republic for Pentastar, which, by the way, could also be a potentially interesting faction, with Jerec, Inquisitors, picket cruisers, unique trooper design, enforcers and patrolmen for grenade/anti-air roles, good reasons to salvage some unused Clone Wars tech)
>>
>>1315312
The Kino Order
>>
>>1315323
>Remnant and the NR are just repainted old factions
This is temporary while they make their new buildings
I do wish they will add a unique building for each civilization tho
>>
File: 20211123_C[1].png (267 KB, 600x400)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
>>1315367
This, the new buildings will come later, hopefully not as long as it took for the Confederacy architecture overhaul.
>>
File: flametrooper.jpg (110 KB, 1454x818)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>1315324
Based
>>
Actually in the concept of new buildings, when will add gates for light walls?
DE added gates for palissades
>>
File: fo.png (1.54 MB, 2152x1004)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
>>1315324
Haven't really played as these guys before. I like them, minus the fact that their temple units really suck.
>>
>>1315392
>has access to Masters
>Ren Masters have barely any techs going for them
I mean, it makes sense. When all the Knights of Ren went up against Luke, he effortlessly manhandled them all.
>>
>>1301321
My never ever civ is the Smuggler’s Alliance from the books/Galaxies. Our third mercenary faction, there’s definitely plenty of fringe shit left to be used, but they’d be based more around support and intel.
>>
>>1315323
Did the Pentastar use Phase 2 Clone Trooper armor for their infantry? If they did, then you could also make them double as an Episode 3 clone faction as well. Don't know what could be a good unique for them. Juggernauts?
>>
>>1315306
I hate how max upgraded units all start carrying miniguns
>>1315323
These guys could be made into their own faction with relatively low effort
>>
Man the New Republic V-Wing is a monster, but I feel they should be swapped with the K-Wing, It feels like it would fit better for the rocket spam
>>
File: SpaceMan.jpg (105 KB, 1024x1024)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>1316995
>I hate that max upgraded units all carry mini guns.
In all honesty I like how much more intimidating it looks. Plus I appreciate the obvious visual change accompanying the upgrade. Not even halo wars 2 had visual changes for upgrades for all units. Which it's predecessor did.
>>
Some of these new unit voices are really good, are they reused from other games? New Republic and Black Sun troopers and the Black Sun bounty hunter stand out most.
>>
anyone else have an issue with the enemy buildings/units being invisible? Their command centers dont show up nor do their workers, but they're able to gather resources and all
>>
>>1317181
They reuse/take lines from other sources.
>>
>>1317530
That sounds like something didn't copy over correctly, like a graphics issue. I genuinely have never, ever encountered that, and I play a lot of EF and played a lot of SWGB.
>>
File: err.png (1.47 MB, 1920x1080)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB PNG
>>1317535
You can see them on the minimap, but they're invisible otherwise. Even if i sent my scout there, he wouldn't be able to shoot at anything but the farms they build. Strangely enough it happens with Trade federation workers and some other factions that i havent been able to actually see
>>
>>1317536
Yeah, I'd just try reinstalling at that point.
>>
https://strawpoll.com/polls/GPgV62K8vga

Let's see 'em anons
>>
>>1317556
>trade federation at the top
I knew you guys were based
>>
>>1317134
>It feels like it would fit better for the rocket spam
Rogue Squadron 1 disagrees with you.
>>
>>1318134
It doesn't even look like the Rogue Squadron version!
But honestly, the K-Wing is the super-armed ship and even the sprite is huge in EF compared to the other ships, it feels like their role got swapped
>>
>>1318144
Had a good laugh, I forgot for a second that the buick was a model swap while looking at your picture.
Yeah, I was just making a joke, the /k/-wing should be the one that destroys everything. I would have made it the Aircruiser for a laugh, but given it an new macross-style missile spam projectile sprite instead of the ball of doom it fires
>>
>>1318151
Funny enough, in the old times, the EF team planned to add missile frigates that would have worked that way
>>
File: honk.png (345 KB, 792x485)
345 KB
345 KB PNG
>>1318144
Debatable
>>
>>1318153
I would love to see how a Gungan or Wookie Missile Frigate would look.
>>
>>1318217
That's a big part of why a lot of planned shit for EF never made it in. Capital ships were planned originally - as the Empire, you'd be able to build Star Destroyers, and they could build TIEs as they go, to simulate launching them. But then, what do you do for the little shitter civs?

I'm glad it got canned because frankly it sounds pretty bullshit, air cruisers with the ability to build their own cover as they go.
>>
How do you deal with shields again? doubling units and buildings hp is bullshit lol
>>
>>1318244
There's not really any sort of specific anti-shield counter. Typically, I'd use cannons to bombard any fortifications first off. They have to leave the cover of the shield to get to your cannons.

Pummels for tearing down the buildings, artillery for the units, assault mechs for buildings and units, air cruisers, these all work.
My personal favorite is conversion. They have shielded assault mechs? They're now my assault mechs.
>>
File: beetle transport.jpg (249 KB, 1920x1080)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
>>1318221
>as the Empire, you'd be able to build Star Destroyers, and they could build TIEs as they go, to simulate launching them

You know, if you toned it down a bit and gave it to a ground unit that could train infantry anywhere, that'd be a much better way to implement that mechanic. Something like that would be great for the Trade Federation or Confederacy.
>>
>>1318265
TF having a Karambit Warrior like unit (cheap, takes half pop space but weak) could fit the concept well of being the "spam" Civ.
>>
>>1318078
TF are fun even if they do suck. Their athetics are just cool. I always hated how people shat on the duck robots so much. I love their designs, the whole point is that they are mass produced canon fodder droids, their design is absolutely perfect.
>>
>>1317538
Copied the files over and played just fine, but on the next launch seemed to reverse everything to being invisible. weird
>>
>>1318367
Are you installed in Program Files?
>>
>>1318404
Yeah. Is that a common issue? Because i don't see it in the discord troubleshooting guide
>>
>>1318425
Yes, actually. Installing in program files commonly results in files not copying over correctly, settings changes not saving, that sort of thing. It tends to be a lot easier to just install into documents, I find.
>>
>>1318434
>It worked
You're a saint
>>
>>1318471
You bet. You can thank me by killing the fuck out of some computer players.
>>
>>1318161
Based cheat unit
https://expanding-fronts.fandom.com/wiki/Cheats
>>
>>1318078
Roger roger
>>
>>1315324
Fucking Disney has shit writers but they had some good designers for sure
>>
>>1319420
I like how their troopers pop to pieces when killed.
>>
>>1319610
Good for an RTS; bad for film.
>>
When would you use an AA battery over an AA turret? Considering the extra research needed to even get batteries, they feel pretty bad by comparison.
>>
>>1320921
>When would you use an AA battery over an AA turret?
When I want to look like actual Starwars where they use turbo lasers against ships.
But supposedly batteries are better against fighters and interceptors because they fire faster, but unless is one of the civs with shielded aircraft I hardly see the difference.
>>
>>1320921
Aircraft in EF are separated into light (fighter, bomber, interceptor, airspeeder, Jedi starfighter, V-Wing, Geonosian warrior) and heavy (attacker, air transport, air cruiser, cargo freighter) aircraft. Each classification has its own armor class. If a battery fires upon an Adv Fighter, it takes 6 x2 damage at base. If it fires upon an Attacker, it takes 4 x2 damage, mitigated by the Attacker's armor to be only 2 damage in the end.

Batteries will absolutely shred any of those first seven type of units. Missile turrets, while devastating against all air units, cost a lot more and just don't fire as fast.
>>
Overlapping loud naboo trooper death screams.
>>
Geonosians are underrated
>>
Anyone wanna play online?
>>
>>1321284
What are geonosians good for? Played with them a couple of times, only know that the AI loves to spam the trained beasts.
>>
>>1321604
>workers are generally the best in the game, with a 25% build speed bonus and 10% work rate bonus (with Geonosian Diligence)
>troops are good, mechs are good
>heavy weapons are terrific, their anti-air mobiles are genuinely nuts
>now get shielding on their aircraft - so despite not getting all the upgrades, their air units are still very usable, and their UU has become a lot better
The 'focus' part of a civ can generally be ignored I think. If you try to adhere only to 'mounted troopers and heavy weapons' as Geonosians, you're going to get bodied. You need to take stock of everything a civ has and use it as you need it.

Also their aesthetics are fucking cool
>>
>>1321341
I'd love to, though both Voobly and Gameranger have their issues.
>>
>>1293926
I'm not exactly good at this game, so maybe I'm missing something, but what's the deal with the Confederacy? Are they just meant to be designed entirely around having decent troops + mechs? What's the point in the magna guards? They just seem slow and unimpressive.
>>
>>1323824
>decent troops + mechs
Son, they have some of the absolute best in both regards. A full group of 40 SBDs with Droid Upgrades is an actual menace, and the same goes for their mechs. I usually can build only troopers, strike mechs, and mech destroyers and win handily.
They also have good heavy weapons. They're a very ground-oriented civ.
>What's the point in the magna guards?
Any enemy that attacks at close range, they fuck inside out (mounted troopers, wookiee berserkers, royal crusaders, shadowtroopers, jedi/sith/ren knights, etc.) They're also able to shred most infantry in general.

I personally think the magnaguards need a cost reduction, but they're pretty good as-is. The real questionable UU is the Dark Trooper
>>
Can we keep shit simple, I just wanna play darth vader or Skywalker and kill a bunch of shit.
>>
>>1324132
Darth Vader has his own base game campaign, but I'm pretty sure EF buffed the fuck out of him as a unit in said campaign because I don't remember him being so effective on his own
And there's always the scenario editor
>>
>>1324089
I feel both Empire UU are kind of questionable.
The probot mostly for being stuck in the command center, as amazing as a scout unit it may be, having to stop villager production is a fuck.
And the Dark Trooper is weird being a trooper taking the same role as a Strike Mech when the Empire bonuses favor Mech production.
>>
>>1324089
Give it a missile launcher so it can double as anti-air. The gun they use is supposed to have one as its underbarrel anyway,so it makes sense.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.