[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 158 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hordes_externally.png (3.3 MB, 1920x1080)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB PNG
Old thread died.
Play as TO.
>>
shi tgame
>>
What should my next idea be? I was thinking grabbing quantity and trade by abandoning influence for the +20% goods produced. But quantity seems pretty shit; aristocratic is just a straight upgrade imo. So maybe just trade on it's own. The -10 min autonomy from Expansion also seems nice but the rest of the group seems pointless. And of course there's offensive.
>>
File: plc.png (1.91 MB, 1366x768)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB PNG
>>1277185
forgot pic like a dumb ass
>>
>>1277186
Are you trying to WC? Influence has probably outlived its usefulness unless you can get a cheeky PU on Spain/France/UK/Portugal/Austria. I'm still a believer in Quantity post-nerf, it has really good policies with Religious/Admin/Trade which are all very strong idea groups and I'm a huge sucker for manpower recovery speed. I never take Aristo, Offensive is my go-to mil idea group.
>>
>>1277204
I always quit around 1650 because my toaster laptop slows to a crawl but who knows maybe I'll stick with it this time
>>
>>1277204
Is vassal feeding then annexing still a legit strat? Influence would seem useful there.
Also how do I deal with coalitions. I read that coalition members leave once their opinion of you is above 0 but that doesnt seem to be the case
>>
>>1277688
Vassal feeding is most valuable at the beginning because using reconquest CBs from your vassals generates very little AE and they have their own manpower pools. It's also good because it splits gaining provinces between admin and diplo when you aren't gaining as much mana. Once absolutism hits and you have lots of admin efficiency you can just take everything yourself and vassal/client state feeding is only done if you want to take a lot more than 100% OE in one war and aren't stacking unrest reduction. The -50% unjustified demands from influence is always good though.
For coalitions either don't let them form by managing your AE properly/improving relations to +100 with as many tags as possible, truce lock majors, or declare the coalition war yourself on an OPM who will be more willing to peace out quicker. Leaving coalitions is mostly based on if they think they can win, so if you have big rivals in your coalition it's going to stick around forever. If the coalition is small you can quit to menu and reload the save which makes the AI recalculate stuff when loading, small coalitions usually disband if you do that.
>>
I should be allowed to full annex any country by sieging down their capital, capturing the king's daughter, and threatening to rape her unless he turn over the entire kingdom. Actually, I don't even care about full annexing, just let me rape.
>>
>>1277688
you need positive relations to keep countries from joining coalitions, but won't country's usually leave a coalition they've already joined unless you have +50 relations or 0 ae with them. If you do that and they still don't leave then try saving and reloading.
>>
>>1277797
*countries won't
>>
>Venice doesn't have a single land military idea
>the nation that blobbed all over the Mediterranean, took Constantinople and got a coalitioned in one of the Italian Wars
Someone needs to knife Johan in Sp-..Minecraft.
>>
>>1276790
Why are there so many provinces in Siberia?
>>
>>1276790
>that big
>still afraid of Turks
is this what /sp/ calls KWAB?
>>
>>1277185
>>1277186
>>
>>1277904
>Europa and the far East is just various shades of le rouge
>>
I've noticed the Mamelukes putting up a much better fight against the Ottomans lately. Even beating them in some games
>>
>>1277990
Mamluks are stronger than the Ottos at game start, they just usually don't share a border until it's too late. Muslim troops have the same number of pips as Anatolian before tech 5 and Mamluks have more dev, more boats, higher income from the delta +2 goods produced, and vassals.
>>
>should I pick one of the electors so that I continue getting voted for emperor
>or perhaps a big foreign power to help me defend the Empire from enemies
>*allies with irrelevant OPM shithole*
Why is the AI like this?
>>
>>1278230
i assume the OPM shithole was one of your neighbors/targets
>>
File: 20221204115728_1.jpg (1008 KB, 2560x1440)
1008 KB
1008 KB JPG
>>
>>1278242
No, it wasn't even close to me, it just irritates me that the Emperor picks the worst allies and either gets voted out or pounded by a foreign power because german OPM #2562 can't do shit to help.
>>
>>1278230
You should be glad the AI acts like this, if it didn't AI Austria would never ally whatever tag you're playing that wants to blob in the HRE.
>>
File: eu4_27.png (3.41 MB, 1920x1080)
3.41 MB
3.41 MB PNG
So, so many coalition wars. Now that the AI actually uses its mana to dev provinces when it has nothing else to do with it conquering into the HRE is pain.
>>
>>1277186
>Conquered half of Europe
>Influence and Diplomatic ideas
What fucking for?
>>
>>1278921
Influence was for all the subjects I used to have. Also I wanted the culture conversion cost policy with Religious because I misunderstood how Winged Hussars are calculated. I really like the faster envoys as well. I dropped it for Trade and I probably could have done it sooner but oh well.
I don't see what's so strange about Diplomatic, every single idea in it is useful. And war score cost reduction is my favorite modifier in the game.
>>
>>1278921
Diplomatic is literally and unironically the best idea group in the entire game and if you aren't taking it early you're just gimping yourself.
>>
>start to complain about shitty RNG
>immediately afterwards get a 5-shock, 4-fire, 2 siege general
Uh
>>
>>1279062
>first battle: 4, 0, 3
Ah, that's more like it
>>
>>1278909
good morning sir
>>
>>1279062
>rng produces random results
imagine my shock.
>>
>>1279499
>imagine my shock
6 pips, from the sound of it
>>
>>1279422
Pajeet tags are unironically fun to play
>>
File: mountain jews.jpg (1.22 MB, 2560x1440)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
So I gave the Swiss two Austrian provinces after the latter declared in the middle of my Burgundian Union war..
>opinion barely 69
AE is nonsense, I'm even allied to them.
>>
Playing Castile-> Spain for the first time in a long while.
Is there a way to keep my subjects from colonizing? Or at least focus them in a particular direction. It just seems really dumb that I get hit with the treaty of tordesillas when they’re in PU with me. Or that I have to fight with them over the Caribbean
>>
>>1279669
I think not, best you can do is PU Portugal before they even take Exploration or just let them colonize and deal it with it, since you'll be inheriting their colonies anyway.
>>
>>1279677
Right. I just wish they would stick to the historical treaty, so Africa and brazil, or at least not try to block me from doing my mission tree for claims on the natives.
>>
>>1279686
What I like to do as Castile is not PU Portugal until I'm done colonizing everything coastal and if they try to snipe just declare on them.
>>
>>1279686
From what I remember the missions say "Castile or it's non-Tributary subjects" so you shouldn't get cucked as long you personally colonize Havana and Bani so you can put the needed buildings there.
>>
Lara Croft: *dies*
Sweet, free land! Wait.. AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE MY GOV CAP, HAVE MERCY DUTCH CHADS, I PROMISE FREEDOM OF WHORESHIP IN AMSTERDAM!
>>
why are you playing as france?
i learned eu4 as denmark
>>
>>1279747
>why are you playing as france?
No idea, I've lost control of my life.
>i learned eu4 as denmark
I'm not really learning, I've got 1k hours on steam and who knows how many before that with a Pirated copy.
>>
have you tried engaging in physical activity instead?
>>
File: 1644007955071.gif (1.94 MB, 500x209)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB GIF
>>1279760
>>
>>1279745
Dutch revolt wouldn't matter at all if you could actually reconquest the whole thing in 1 war.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1.15 MB, 2560x1440)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
>>1279893
The funny thing about the Dutch Revolt is that they leave the HRE only after the independence war is done, so even if you had -100% province war score cost you'd still get fucked by the insane AE.
In the meantime, I've allied Hungary - for reasons that escape me at the moment and actually helped them fight off two Turkish incursions alongside Austria and the Italians.
>>
>>1279904
Hexagon France is peak aesthetics
>>
>>1279927
Oui oui, mon ami, la Belgique est une argile Française légitime.
>>
>>1279893
>Dutch revolt wouldn't matter at all if you could actually reconquest the whole thing in 1 war.
The Spanish couldn't manage it in two
>>
This game lets you blob too much way too fast. But it would be boring as shit if you couldn't blob.
>>
>>1279981
Countries could blob even faster IRL. But they could also collapse just as fast.
>>
>>1279985
Mongols? I know that Ottomans ate the Memeluks in one war, but that's an exception. Maybe this is what the game lacks, proper collapse of countries.
>>
>>1279987
The initial arab conquests were also ridiculously fast, as well as Spain conquering mexico+peru.
>>
>>1279990
Oh yeah, but the arab conquests happened in an unstable region with a huge vacuum of power. The world in 1444 is much more "established". Also a good point, at least you can expand into mexico extremely fast with almost no negatives (and then babysit the 300 rebels that will pop up).
>>
>>1277902
what is this relatively new zoomer acronym
>>
>>1279972
They should honestly make the Dutch Revolt uncheesable and the Netherlands should auto form even if nobody foreign owns the land. In almost every game it's just Utrecht and Frisia dunking on each other without forming the nation.
>>
>>1279502
Heh.
>>
>>1279987
I was thinking of India. The Mughals rose pretty fast, probably faster than even their insane coring cost reductions allow them to, not to mention AE/OE. Maratha did as well, much later.
>>
>>1279987
God I wish there's more nuance to the succession mechanics. The game always assume you can only have one child and one heir which is pretty retarded. Just something like having multiple children and they fighting each other for the throne after the ruler dies
>>
>>1280600
Ottoman harem mechanics do this
>>
>>1276810
the shi?
>>
is it possible to culture shift to sapmi while staying as Sweden? Does it disable the swedish events you would normally get?
>>
I play vanilla because all the DLC is over €500 or something. But are there one or two common DLC that are "must haves"?
>>
>>1281137
The game is barren without all the DLC, just use creamapi.
>>
>>1281137
Rights of Man, Cradle of Civilization, Emperor
>>
>>1281090
>is it possible to culture shift to sapmi while staying as Sweden?
Yes, you will need to change culture of many provinces to sapmi first
>Does it disable the swedish events you would normally get?
It shouldn't, events are usually tied to the tag (country) and there aren't too many in the entire game that check your culture
>>
>>1277185
Quantity Idea is only a requirement when playing on VHard or if you start as a minor nation and are trying to catchup to the established heavyweights.

In regards to your game: looks like you're already #1, so my suggestion is to restart the campaign but on VHard.
>>
On a separate note, I just completed Basileus achievement yesterday; anyone want any tips/advice? It's quite easy once you survive the initial start.

And, what achievement should I do next?--VHard and Insane category only.
>>
>>1280600
There is already a game for that anon, it's called: Crusader Kings
>>
>>1279062
Increase your Army Tradition (the higher the number, the better the chances) or get the Ideas that increase the Generals categories respectively.

With 100 tradition and Offensive&Defensive&Aristocratic Ideas I was always getting 3star generals. (I trialed Aristo to get the cavalry combat boost for early game as I was playing a Byzantine trying to eventually take on Ottomans. Outside of that I'd be hard pressed to recommend Aristo Ideas, esp. if you forgot to turn off "50% Idea Group Category Restriction")
>>
>>1278230
It comes down to "first in best dressed": whoever gets there first establishes the alliance. The minor nations, in this case, reach the requirements quicker: theyre Germanic culture, they have a friendly attitude boost, they can increase relations quicker (perhaps by their Advisor) and/or probably have a high diplomatic reputation; so they can fasttrack meeting the "Form Alliance" as compared to Poland or Spain.
Also, take into account who their Rivals ally with as it reduces the ability to meet the "Form Alliance" requirements as well.
>>
>>1279981
Play on VHard and then come back to us on that "blob" issue you're talking about. If you aren't playing this game on VHard (unless you're doing ridiculous achievements like World Conquest as Ryukyu) then you've been doing it wrong this whole time
>>
>>1282229
Do Ardabil->Persia, get the Zoroastrian achievement and levant blobbing one too
>>
>>1282229
>anyone want any tips/advice?
Sure, why not. I've gotten the first war against the ottomans figured out, but the next couple of decades while you consolidate your position seems very dependent on random luck.
>>
>Play singleplayer
>Get bored fighting the AI, no more challenge
>Start hosting multiplayer
>Russia player declares himself gameruined because Sweden took the 3 development province of Kola
>In 1460
>Says he'd rather just sit there and build up his empire without player wars
>Tell him there's a feature for that: singleplayer
>Gets even more mad
>Meanwhile the Austria player is a saltmine every session from beginning to end because people are teaming up to take bites out of the HRE due to his no-compromise position
>Can't catch a break as the petulant bitching goes on throughout the week between sessions
I think it's just time I put this game down for a while
>>
>>1276790
how do I stop spain from getting too powerful? Fucking colonials
>>
>>1282580
Have you tried killing them?
>>
>>1282580
Ally France, if you're France ally Portugal make them break alliance.
>>
>>1282580
Early game nip the problem in the bud or late game/when you've outscaled them. Doesn't make sense to fight big blobs in midgame.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1.15 MB, 2560x1440)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
Wow! It's like I'm actually playing Victoria 3, but instead of Qing invading GB, it's Ming invading España.
>>
>>1282437
unfortunately i've only got the following DLC: cradle of civ, rights of man, art of war, & the Cossacks
so the AI may play slightly different depending on your DLC because of the added/removed mechanics.

any further clarification just ask. So how I did it was:
>switch places with Venice
>join the HRE
>convert to Catholic
>colonized the Ivory Coast region
>conquered my way through to Egypt, through that little gap that reaches in toward Ethiopia
>attacked Otto from three separate fronts with the main allies I collected along the way (Russia, Austria, Spain)

-otto's advantage is their numbers; if you force them to fight on multiple fronts they tend to flop
-muscovy is useless at the beginning because they're always getting into debt conquering neighbours to form russia; but, you pick up the alliance and keep it for later use.
-at the start otto has a total hardon for Constantinople; and since you want to switch places with venice--ie. take their provinces--you're going to sell Constantinople to venice. that way, when otto does attack, they'll be doing all the damage to venice's military; once you sell the city, start to fabricate a claim on venices island next to athens so that when you declare war on venice you can have the ticker score going up and avoid the stability hit from a nonCB war. temporary allying two nations close to venice will help with the victory.

-you then have to have a fine balance between selling off your provinces to Genoa or Venice while not having both parties turn you into a rival (you cant sell provinces to rivals).
once you've essentially moved your capital to a province that can border the HRE you then work to join the HRE. just be advised that once otto has reclaimed consta the rest of your islands become their priority so if you can't make it into HRE by then, well they'll have to be sold off and reclaimed later. if venice and genoa have turned into rivals, just sell the provinces to the ottos
>>
>>1282445
>hosting multiplayer
can I join? what are the requirements? I'm not a sook I'll sell you my best city if I have to.
>>
>>1282580
depends who youre playing as... who are you playing as?
>>
>>1282580
Kill them early. But if you do you need to colonize yourself or else things get incredibly wonky. If you wait until late game just full occupy Iberia itself and ignore everything else, then take provinces from Iberia itself and Spain will eventually implode.
>>
>>1282652
I was playing as France and Spain allied the fucking Ottomans (extremely cursed)
>>
>>1282725
I’ve always had a good time taking Aragon before the wedding and cucking Castille out of becoming Spain. I have never found a good way to beat mid to late game Spain other than simple brute force.
>>
>what do you mean this country that I ignored for 300 years and let colonize the entire new world is strong?
many such cases
>>
>>1282725
You should ally Ottomans and make them break alliance with the Spanish for favours. Should work after you unrival them and improve relations since both of you hate Austria and there is no conflict of interest.
>>
>>1282767
I think the problem is they're rivaling me as well
>>
>>1282773
In my France game they eventually unrivaled me, but I'm not sure how long you'll have to wait basically if you improve relations and unrival them check their opinion and if it's minus 150 or lower they should unrival you eventually. To improve the likelihood of this you should rival someone you both hate like Austria.
>>
File: morning_wood.png (31 KB, 1695x75)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
What am I in for? My spitball plan is to colonize north america while I eat Russia, eating scandi and dismantling HRE along the way. Late game will be snaking everywhere with Imperialism.
>>
>>1282776
I'll try that thank ye
>>
>>1277904
>Poland is one with Japan
As it should be
>>
>>1282620
How does Ming still exist? Multiplayer game?
>>
>>1282860
>How does Ming still exist?
I've no idea, mon ami, I guess they just managed to keep it together.
>Multiplayer game?
Nope, just me playing a slow France campaign versus the AI.
>>
>>1282620
What DLC to unlock furnace? I'm guessing the British Immersion pack but with PI who fucking knows
>>
>>1282789
Yeah that sounds about right. Take advantage of being under the personal union (extra protection) and just make sure to keep yourself out of the "Annexed" zone. I don't know what DLC you have (different mechanics) but I know with vassalage you just stay above 49% liberty desire, or you keep increasing your development during their attempts to annex you. It burns the overlords diplo points too.

I've started Rags&Riches as Mongolia to try and complete two achievements in one go. Fuck the 3rd "Form Mong Empire before Absolutism", I didn't realise i needed to take on Ming for that one
>>
>>1282647
Oh I should add a crucial bit: you sell your Balkan provinces *when* Otto fabricates a claim. Otto wants them bad so there is no time to wait around for them to get a justification for war and then just gobble up the whole area. The benefit of selling them as well is that you waste ottos time since you've sold off the province to a nation that is currently in a truce with otto so it slightly deprives their snowballing.
Once you own at least 3 former venice provinces that border the HRE (and have joined HRE) you can gradually push toward Genoa so you can--with just 2 Ideas from Explorer--colonize West&Central Africa. The "Dues Veult" Casus Belli is a godsend and it helps gain papal influence to give yourself the OP bonuses while pushing through towards the south of Egypt region (through the gap)
Flanking and occupy-and-run tactics are ottos weakness due to their landmass size and their initial disregard for fort defence
>>
>>1282392
You're a cruel individual. I just finished dealing with that headache called the Ottomans and then you go and throw me back into their line of fire. Deal!

I'll give it a crack, 100%. But atm I'm playing Mongolia and that's been a laugh and a half. But, does anyone have any idea how or when Ming starts to cave in? Or is it primarily RNG?
>>
>>1282445
>Playing HRE in a multiplayer
Naive or just a total dumbass.

Maybe just set parameters in that only certain nations can be picked and have a bit of synchronization or historic rivalry ie. "France & England", "Spain & Portugal" or "Poland & Russa", etc.

Otherwise everyone's interests are just too scattered and convoluted
>>
>>1283064
The first part is hard to understand so let me reiterate...
Otto wants the provinces badly so don't wait for Otto to have a justification for war so that he can take the entire area. Just sell off the province that Otto has fabricated a claim on before they do declare war. The added benefit of selling the provinces to Venice/Genoa (or whoever accepts them) is it slows Ottos snowballing
>>
>>1283076
>But, does anyone have any idea how or when Ming starts to cave in
After Age of Exploration ends the disaster starts to tick if they ever fall below 50 mandate.
>>
>>1283056
>>1283076
>Rags and Riches and KHAN as Mongolia
Don't do this, Rags and Riches is tailor made for a comfy colonial USA/Canada game. Start as Norway, colonized Newfoundland for the +goods produced, and go from there. Trying to do it in the old world will be pure pain and potentially impossible due to the combination of cooldown for exploit dev and how the AI loves developing provinces now.
Ming collapses from the Crisis of the ming dynasty disaster, which isn't until age of reformation. If you want to kill them before then you'll need to trigger unguarded nomadic frontier and then have them have low mandate so their army melts.
>>
Is there any reasonable way to get the benefits from the San Antonio Missions as a colonizer? The only way I know to keep it from going to a CN is by moving my capital to the New World.
>>
Will a rebellious junior partner not help in wars?
>>
>>1283441
More than 50% liberty desire makes them stay at home.
>>
I keep restarting as Castile and I keep getting either Aragon or Burgundy as a rival. Why can't I just get England France Ottomans Morocco Tunis as my only rivals.
I need Aragon for the Crusade because I like the help. And Burgundy not for the BI but that they dont get attacked by France. And most of the time Holland breaks loss from the PU. Not funny when im going for the FOREVER GOLDEN achievement
>>
>>1283520
just ignore aragon only restart for burgundy
>>
>>1283528
I thought of doing that. But they are always useful. When it comes to Burgundy I just would like to see the Austrians get BI then I dont need to go war against Austria. Because it did happen once and I was allied with Austria they went to war. Really bad.
Anyway Austria get IB and then a Habsburg on the spanish throne.
>>
>>1283545
yeah but if you dont ally them they might die and even if they dont and austria gets the inheritance the ai might still release everything
>>
>>1283551
I have seen HRE doing just that, its a dangerous chance.
>>
HAHA I JUST GOT UK FRANCE AND OTTOMANS AS MY RIVALS
YES YES
YES
>>
So, what's the best pirate nation to pull of the one piss achievement, i tried gotland but it's not good to be close to everyone like that with chain alliances
>>
>>1283750
Easily Pasai, blob the fuck all over SEA and then Africa. Pasai also gets holy war CB for free from missions to use before you get war against the world.
>>
File: muscovy.png (3.48 MB, 1920x1080)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB PNG
Where should I go from here? The Ottomans do not have me rivaled and I was going to attempt going further east, but I would like to hear what you guys think.
>>
>>1284530
Poland did not join with lithuania, and sweden is an independent country and allied to me.

I have almost filled out the first idea set, defensive, and working on religious as the second. I was going to go with espionage as the third set but maybe it isnt necessary to have AE reduction as Muscovy/Russia?
>>
What's the name of that one alt-history mod with an OPM Danzig near all the baltic pagans?
Whatever it is, I haven't played it in about a year, is there any new content?
>>
>>1284530
>>1284532
Honestly I'd restart the Ottomans are going ham in this game, but if you want to stick it out try befriending them and blocking their expansion near Astrakhan. Take Trade ideas after Religious and then Economic. Form Russia and push East taking your cores, trade company everything you can. Build up your economy with manufactories. After you're done with that take Offensive & Quality/Aristocratic (Eastern Cav is strong if you have the Cossack estate), declare on the Ottomans at your leisure, with some allies, of course.
If the Turks are aggressive already idk, try forming a coalition with Austria and Poland against them, take Offensive & Quality/Aristocratic, take loans and declare with allies, build some forts on the borders where you're going to fight them.
>>
>>1284532
>I was going to go with espionage as the third set but maybe it isnt necessary to have AE reduction as Muscovy/Russia?
Yeah, AE reduction is almost worthless as Russia if you're just taking your cores and not blobbing chaotically. I wouldn't take Espionage since the only good thing for Russia is Siege Ability −15% Advisor cost and -0.2 Yearly corruption there. Espionage Policies are also notoriously bad, bar a few. Your main problem as Russia is money and developing institutions, Innovative wouldn't be a bad choice, but you're really low on admin at the start and Innovative is best taken first (if at all), you also need Religious asap. So to solve the money problem take Trade and Economic or take more mil ideas after Religious and constantly declare wars for cash.
>>
>>1284532
Espionage is shit, and AE reduction is also shit unless you can stack it to like -80% as Cologne or something. Take diplomatic or trade for your diplo ideas, then take admin 4th, then whatever.
>>
Can monumental pride be stacked or does it just extend the duration of the modifier? Wondering if I can use it to stack stab cost reduction for absolutism.
>>
File: Untitled.png (3.39 MB, 1909x1080)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB PNG
So much for my relaxing Mulhouse achievement run
>>
>>1284661
>>1284665
The Ottos ended up rivaling me, but Poland and I beat them in a war and I released Georgia and grabbed the Lower Don.
Unfortunately, the Poles broke their alliance with me and rivaled me afterwards. At this point, I had taken some Espionage ideas, is it worth it to drop it and go with some other diplo idea? I dont want to focus on trade, and was trying to go for the Siberian coast achievment, so during the downtime I was smacking the steppe nations to the east. Is trade super necessary?
>>
>>1284979
>932 Grain Coast
Good luck routing that trade
>>
>>1285050
Just a stepping stone on the way to Indonesia but it doesn't matter now anyway, the Ottos will be in Stockholm by the time I get there
>>
First time managing to reach 1500. How bad am I fucking up?
>>
File: esp.png (2.08 MB, 1366x768)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB PNG
going to chill and let the ae cool down/fire court and country before forming Rome and going ham on the rest of the world
>>
>>1285110
>caring about AE at that point
Are you not allied to Burgundy and Blobbenwealth? Coalitions shouldn't even be forming.
>>1285100
looks good anon
>>
>>1285100
Did you get iberian wedding? Or PU with Portugal?
North African land is pretty shit, you only want the provinces in the Sevilla node. It's better to focus on France, by 1500 you can take the southern half in 3 wars by releasing Gascony and Toulouse. It looks like Provence can also be released in your situation. Also fighting the Ottomans at least once and making sure to take Constantinople and release Byzantium is also good goal for 1500. Austria is usually a good ally for both of these wars. Poland is also good against the Ottomans, though it might be a hard alliance to acquire if you have and Austrian alliance since they often rival one another.
>>
>>1285115
Commonwealth isn't an ally, they were my rival. But Muscovy is and Burgundy is PU'd so I really didn't think a coalition would form but one did when Commonwealth came off truce.
>>
File: 20221215165102_1.jpg (593 KB, 1920x1080)
593 KB
593 KB JPG
Is this a good time to kill Crimea? I hate these cunts like you wouldn't believe
>>
>>1285202
When I did the theodoro achievement I full annexed crimea immediately by going way over force limit with mercs, as long as they rival great horde and you ally no one their allies can't reach you because great horde won't give access.
>>
>>1285127
Yes and yes, and another PU with Naples. I was taking Africa mostly to just get the fucking Moroccans off my back, but now I'm focusing on Italy now that I have CBs on half of it. Holding off on France for a bit since it'll be a bit of a mess to hit them, nothing on Ottos and they're practically up my ass with Tunis, and Poland won't help me since I had to smack them a bit to get Naples to fall over.
Whats the benefit to liberating nations? Easy vassals, or just being a dick to the other guy?
>>
File: myspaghettinow.png (3.55 MB, 1920x1080)
3.55 MB
3.55 MB PNG
>>1285280
And of course I forget image like a retard
>>
>>1285229
I know it's super videogamey to merc stack and use Flurryeconomics to just keep war deccing and paying off the bank debts with post-war tributes, but I wasn't that lucky. Crimea was neutral to Horde and so I had to use my shitty alliances and mercs just to win about four provinces. I've been chipping away at them ever since, but they also randomly took Circassia as a vassal, so that was another war. Really fucked me having to wait until Moscovy wanted to ally up.

At least the Ottomans decided they didn't want my provinces anymore. That almost feels like a bug, the complete disinterest by the Turks.
>>
>>1285280
>Whats the benefit to liberating nations? Easy vassals, or just being a dick to the other guy?
You don't liberate them, you take a province they have a core on and release them as a vassal. Then you use their reconquest CB in the next war to get land for super cheap.
>>
>>1285280
>>1285282
Sorry when i say release vassals i don't mean release on the peace deal
Instead you take one province, say bordeaux for example, from France. Now that you own it (you don't need to core it) you can release Gascony as a vassal. In this case Gascony would be released with 2 provinces, Bordeaux and Labort since they are both Gascon cores. However, even though Labort is also a Gascon core and you currently own it, you are no able to currently release Gascony. This is because the culture of Labort is a part of a different culture than the primary culture of Gascony. The main purpose to acquiring these vassals is to utilize their reconquest cb's, which allow you to conquer for minimal ae, no admin cost, and no overextension. Gascony is one of the best releasable vassals because of it's several cores on southern France, as is Byzantium due to it's cores in the Ottomans. Other good vassals are Bulgaria, Syria, Kazakh, Iraq, Eretna, Karaman, even tags like Provence (which is often eaten by France, as is the case in your run) and Ming if it implodes. Looking at the map, Venice is an excellent opportunity for vassal reconquest though you would almost surely need to force vassalize him first. If he has a province in Dalmatia then you should set it as a province of interest. Naples would probably then fabricate a claim. Also, if Milan and the rest of Northern Italy is still part of the HRE, which it seems like from the screenshot, I would no suggest taking much land. Taking land in Northern Italy will get you coalitions out the ass.
>>
>>1285313
*part of a different culture GROUP than the primary culture of Gascony
>>
>>1285312
>>1285313
Interesting, I didn't know that could be so powerful. I might have to try Gascony and Toulouse instead, everything in Italy dumps way too much AE for it to be worthwhile. Hopefully Austria won't be completely worthless this time
>>
>>1285333
>>1285282
Savoy is dead in your pic so you could do try it out with them, but like the other anon said if they're in the HRE maybe pass on it.
>>
>>1284661
>taking trade ideas before 1600
>as Moscovy, of all nations
Are you fucking retarded? Talk about a waste of an Idea Group early game!
>>
>>1285038
It really honestly depends on your position and intended goals. If you aim to conquer towards Holland then yes it would be very beneficial to unlock Trade Ideas for the income boost since "English Channel" is one of the end trade nodes. If you're expanding over toward Beijing, then it won't be as important as something like Administration (strictly only for the government capacity increase). But the DLC installed impacts on game mechanics.

Early game (unless a merch republic) usually needs tax income and then as manufactories are unlocked and built your income switches over to production and trade. The trade income can be a pain in the ass though because of the nation's ability to "pull" or "retain" your rightful coin.
I colonized parts of America as Venice one playthrough and couldn't receive ANY income because Spain and Port had embargoed me.
So again, it depends on your motives and goals. Are you playing to be #1 at the end?
>>
>>1285091
Lol keep us updated (me at least) on the progress. I've never seen an Otto so Westward expansive so I'm intrigued to see where it heads
>>
>>1285333
"Cede province" rule: The higher the development, the higher the AE
-Taking rival provinces reduces the AE regardless
-Taking HRE provinces increases the AE regardless
-Other types of Conquest based CBs (like Purge Heresy) can reduce the AE impact per province taken.
Also, taking provinces in separate peace deals counts as a "No Casus Belli" and is treated as a much higher AE than usual (I forgot the percentage increase and I am on the phone so can't check atm)
>>
>>1285427
I thought I should add, for clarity, that I had conquered Genoa as Venice before colonizing Americas; then Spain and Port turned into pricks.
>>
>>1285280
When you personally can't take any more provinces due to AE concerns or Overextension issues and you dont need any money in the peace deal (loans/reparations) but still want to weaken them: use liberation.
Keeping in mind the liberated pricks can later ally with them during the truce (out of fear).
Also: the higher the demands made in the peace deal, the longer the truce. Unless of course you attack a new ally they made (that wasnt in the previous war) or if they have guaranteed some neighbour of yours.
I bullied my rival Korea constantly because of their insistence on guaranteeing 2 of my neighbours. When I took some provinces of theirs with the first "guarenteed" war, I'd declare the second "guarenteed" war and just demand money and humiliate them (you don't get penalized in separate deals if it's just money or humiliate)
>>
>>1283098
>potentially impossible
Sounds like a challenge. I'll report back to you on how I go fren. You're forgetting (or are unaware) that with The Cossacks DLC I can raise provinces as the Horde--reduces multiple devlopment points in one go--so I am going to play around with this big time.
>>
>>1285310
Pay close attention to their current leaders traits fren! A new monarch tends to change their goals.

I made the mistake of trying to gradually befriend Muscovy (while owning their eastern provinces) since they only saw my land as "strategic interest", but suddenly their new monarch took the throne who was Militaristic and had aggressive trait! Well I was THE prime target at that point.
I wasted valuable years trying to cozy up with them, and it was all in vein.
>>
>>1285421
No u, I don't see why I would take any other diplo idea, unless you assume every game is a WC then yeah - take your Diplomatic for muh province warscore cost.
>>
>>1285545
No no, I am in agreement with you: trade idea group is Vimportant.
What im saying, is that taking the idea group so early on, before manufactures have been properly built, is a waste since you'd be waiting X number of years for it to be beneficial.
>>
>>1285229
I'll keep that in mind anon, thank you for the tip
>>
>>1285440
huh I didnt know taking territory from rivals reduced AE gained
>>
Piece of shit Aragon got a female heir, and I got Isabel.
I spit on this shit game. They should add a historical mode that only affects the early stage of the game (1444-1480)
I just want Ferran
>>
>>1285710
lmao same thing almost happened to me here>>1285110
>>
>>1285710
cope sneed
>>
>>1285697
You get reduced AE gain because it's your rival. That's the benefit of targeting rivals. Though if your rival is pathetic you don't want to take too much land to avoid losing the easy PP from them (bonus monarch points from +50 power projection)
>>
File: OY VEY.jpg (1.06 MB, 2560x1440)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
(((BANKERS))) HATE HIM
>>
>>1285673
Russia can still benefit from (relatively) early trade ideas since Russia's only problem is its dogshit economy. If you blob into central asia early enough routing all of that Persian trade to Novgorod will make good money, and the early income helps you build buildings which snowballs you.
>>
File: noooooo.png (1.94 MB, 1366x768)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB PNG
600 admin down the drain because I integrated Burgundy 10 years early
>>
>>1285907
>all of those idle diplomats
>>
I have two colonial nations now as Japan, but neither of them are making any colonies themselves. When I played Portugal my colonial nations started adding territory by sebding out colonists as soon as they'd formed. I'm playing total vanilla btw.
>>
>>1286645
Click the "disallow settlement growth" button on the subject interaction screen and give them monthly subsidies, they're probably too poor. As to why the AI will sometimes bankrupt itself colonizing and sometimes refuses to colonize if they would be running even the tiniest of deficits, beats me.
>>
>>1284979
60yrs and otto creeping on europe, damn!
who are otto's rivals though? you'd be surprised what can happen in europe it's not over till its over fren!
let me guess tho, the electors chose some OPM as emperor because "muh good relations"
>>
>>1286645
Do what >>1286736 said. Also AI colonial nations will only colonize provinces they have a land border with but this shouldn't be a problem in cascadia or mexico, only the caribbean.
>>
Im experienced with paradox games and my first real game of eu4 im a bit bored. Its comical playing cat and mouse with the AI, its really absurd in this game compared to others, and watching them ignore their sieged provinces while they try to siege mine Maybe I just don't know how to have fun with videogames anymore, I'm decently powerful as Spain and I just have no motive or feel like taking bits of land here and there. It's only 1630 and i don't feel like doing anything else I think this is a me problem I probably would have enjoyed this game more back then.
>>
File: 243.jpg (66 KB, 1079x954)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
What do you think of Ante Bellum?
>>
>>1286857
Try some other country, the only strong thing about Spain is it's geographical position. Try for a run with a lot of tag switches maybe? Or Holy Horde Teutons for role play?
>>
>>1286857
>It's only 1630
Most games are over by 1600 unless you're going for a (very difficult) goal or achievement
>>
>EU4 lets you deport minorities to colonies
>The colonized province doesn't get this culture
RIP my basque central america
>>
>>1285857
hello ESL
>>
>>1287012
>Most games are over by 1600
play fucking VHard difficulty.
I guarantee you it won't be "over" if you do VH.
>>
>>1287133
I don't mean it as a bad thing. Shorter games are fine specially when late game performance is so shit. VH is only fun on already difficult starts, since it makes it so you have to change up your strategy (can't ally certain countries, can't conquer others, etc.)
>>
>>1286872
Played as Normandy in that mod recently, decent fun
>>
>>1287070
must be a bug. it should change the culture
>>
>>1277897
It was the crusaders doing the taking constantinople while the Venitian navy helped them get in the city in the first place
>>
>>1287072
sup kike
>>
>>1287294
So? It won many battles on land, in Italy in particular.
>>
>>1287291
It was broken since like a year ago.
>>
>>1287291
Apparently it was removed in 1.30 because europe would become nonsensical. Sucks, I really wanted to make new amsterdam in the place of new york.
>>
>>1286872
amazing love francia and her yellow color
>>
File: 20221218223136_1.jpg (607 KB, 1920x1080)
607 KB
607 KB JPG
>start as Epirus
>ally Hungary and two other shitholes so don't get insta-invaded
>take southern Greece from byz-tards
Haha, I didn't die instantly. What now?
>>
>>1287461
Suck Hungarian and Mamluk dick and kill the Ottos, you have literally no other option besides fleeing the Balkans.
>>
>>1287464
I managed to suck enough Austrian and Aragonese cock to get alliances with them too, so our combined allied weight would be more than enough to crush ottos.

However, they're also always permanently in debt somehow
>>
what are some of your favorite unit sprites in game. I quite like the Hungary models.
By contrast I still hate how they did the byz models.
>>
>>1285313
When you release a nation how do you cause the nation to keep the cores on the provinces that dont share the primary culture? They always disappear when I release them for some reason.
>>
>>1287729
Cores in the same culture group will last a long time, cores in a different culture group will expire after 50 years iirc. Either way the expiration timer resets every time the two countries go to war or the province changes ownership.
>>
>>1287707
The Albanian/serbian ones cause literally anything is better then vanilla models.
>>
File: Holy Horder.jpg (2.34 MB, 3840x2160)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
>>1276790
I did play as TO. Fuck paradox.
>>
>>1288109
>tag switches
>when the achievement specifies being a certain tag
>>
>>1288285
It's not even a real fucking tag switch. Doesn't change your culture, ideas, government reform. You don't relocate your capital. It changed the fucking map color and your name. Purely cosmetic switch.
>>
File: 20221219213430_1.jpg (612 KB, 1920x1080)
612 KB
612 KB JPG
>>1287461
Thanks for the land, Ottom-ACK!

They declared war on who the fuck cares, and I stormed them with Serbia and Austria-Hungary with no resistance. I wanted to get more money out of them in the peace deal, but their entire army was trapped in Asia Minor and I didn't have enough ships to compete with their navy. So I peaced at 47% warscore.

Did I do good?
>>
>>1288309
While I'm on it, is it even worth it to form Greece? Their ideas kind of suck shit compared to Epirus' ideas. Epirus is military and money-focused. Greece's ideas are all over the damn place. What good is cheaper galleys going to do me?
>>
>>1288109
>>1288306
do your units change into mongol units? the models
>>
>>1276790
Thinking of pirating this, what's a good "babbys first nation" to play? Portugal? France? Castille? I want to get the EU4 colonizer experience.
>>
>>1288332
Greece is 10% CCR and nothing else but Epirus ideas aren't exactly anything to write home about either. Stay as Epirus and do the mission to become Latin Empire.
>>
>>1288362
By the way, what DLC's are a must have and what DLC's to avoid like the plague.
>>
File: Holy Horder2.jpg (2.1 MB, 3840x2160)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
>>1288351
You are still in the Western tech group from what I can tell.
>>
>>1288375
I meant the unit models. Looks like it gives you Chinese sprites
>>
>>1288362
>I want to get the EU4 colonizer experience.
Atrocious.
>>
>>1288362
>>1288365
If you're going to pirate, just get all the dlcs. Be aware that this game hates fun, re: colonization. If you have more than four settlements next to each other in a geographic area they will merge to become a vassal, which is the lamest shit imaginable. You lose control over their operations and they inevitably rebel. So the better option is to get four colonies in random high-value provinces and just do that everywhere. Otherwise you have to move your capitol to the colonies, which seems very video-gamey.
>>
>>1288637
Can I at least conquer mexico as portugal/castille?
It's cringe anyway. But maybe I can have fun with sian colonization.
>>
>>1288637
>>1288656
I've literally never had the colonies try to declare independence, and in the games where the AI has colonized the whole of the Americas, they were never having problems with them rebelling.
>>
>>1288637
>If you have more than four settlements next to each other in a geographic area they will merge to become a vassal, which is the lamest shit imaginable. You lose control over their operations and they inevitably rebel. So the better option is to get four colonies in random high-value provinces and just do that everywhere. Otherwise you have to move your capitol to the colonies, which seems very video-gamey.

What?
Getting colonial nations is literally the best part of colonizing. They can grow themselves with you having to pay little attention to them. It's great. They only try and declare independence if you really fucking suck.
>>
>abos are getting their pips nerfed
Took them long enough
>Anatolian nerfed
>Muslim nerfed
>Indian nerfed
>Chinese nerfed
Why is Johan being such a chud?
>>
>>1288690
>Chinese nerfed
>already the worst units in the game
kek
>>
>>1288690
>>abos are getting their pips nerfed
>Took them long enough
Why does it even matter that abos are getting their pips nerfed? They have mil tech 6 when you have mil tech 18.
>>
>>1288739
It doesn't even matter for the player since nobody is ever going to play as an abo without changing to horde, which switches you to nomad units
>>
>>1288739
Because they shouldn't have them, period. It doesn't matter if it's irrelevant to gameplay, having better pips than Native Americans or Africans made no sense for them. We already have one fantasy tech group, no reason for gas huffers to be the second one.
>>
File: 20221220141959_1.jpg (629 KB, 1920x1080)
629 KB
629 KB JPG
>>1288309
Progress on my lunch break. Did I do good?

I had the option of taking Constantinople but it was under siege from a 21-stack of Muslim rebels and I didn't feel like dealing with that shit.

The thing that's been hamstringing me from taking over all Ottomutt territories is their navy, which blockades the coasts and stops me from going over the isthmus. I had to build a fleet of disposable galleys to attack random Ottoman ships to lure their main fleet away from Greece, then I shuffled my galleys up to Constantinople and killed the single fucking ship they were using to cockblock the 100,000 troops on the Greek side from crossing over. After that it was an orc invasion of Anatolia. Austria is somehow the controller of Burgundy, Hungary, and Bohemia, so any war they're involved in instantly spawns a 120,000-strong doomstack. I've been melting the Ottomans with it.

Is now a good time to build carracks and win on the sea?
>>
>>1288753
You should use your austria stick to get all of the balkan land that venice and genoa hold. Also eat Serbia for the gold mine.
>>
>>1288754
Sounds like a plan. Venice is being a bitch anyway, and I can probably solo Genoa at this point. I'll probably eat Serbia last since they are allied to me at the moment and their extra 10K troops helped me out more than once. Feel bad stabbing bros in the back, but that's the way it goes I guess. I had no idea they had a gold mine. Most of my playthroughs are either in Asia or Germany.
>>
I'm going to try a WC for the first time ever as the Ottos because I'm a giant pussy who's bad at this game. What's the optimal strategy for eating the colonizers? Obviously I want them to do all of the colonizing for me so I get their colonies when I full annex them but I don't want to make them so weak that the colonies break away.
>>
>>1288794
play Mughals instead if you want to WC
>>
>>1287738
An example is Iraq, their primary culture is mashriqi, if I release their nation they lose all cores on kurdish provinces for some reason. Do I have to conquer them first then release them for them to keep their cores on kurdish provinces?
>>
File: chi.png (1.86 MB, 1366x768)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB PNG
>>1289300
unless I'm mistaken, iraq has no cores on kurdish provinces
>>
What would be fun to do next: A Persian Empire run, or an Italian province run?
>>
>>1289321
Florence -> Tuscany -> Two Sicilies -> Sardinia-Piadmont -> Italy run
>>
>>1289333
Dalmatia has way better permanent modifiers with -5 years of separatism and -5% dev cost than two sicilies but the province limit makes it tricky.
>>
>>1289389
Which has the better ideas, Croatia or Dalmatia?
>>
>>1289682
Dalmatia has a top tier idea set, including 15% ccr. Croatian ideas suck outside of AE reduction but it's way too late in the ideas.
>>
>>1290034
If I wanted to play Dalmatia, would it be better to start as Ragusa or as Croatia and break free? Italy would not be an objective, I just want to form a strong country in the Balkans and stay Catholic.
>>
>>1290053
Start as Ragusa and ally Austria. All you need to form Damlatia is Zadar and Split from Venice and you border them. Remember you can only have at most 10 provinces to form Dalmatia so be careful when you conquer over to Kosovo.
>>
>>1288740
>>1288746
do better unit pips even matter if you're a tech level above someone anyway? you just mog em regardless
>>
>>1290095
better pips means less manpower lost, even in wins. more manpower is always good
>>
File: ௵.jpg (21 KB, 372x260)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
How do I deal with the reality that I'll never be able to pull off shit in EU4 like florry or lambda?
>>
>>1290187
Just put in another 3,000 hours, you'll get there
>>
>>1290187
Learn stats and programming and you could technically find out more perfect paths than either of them do through their gorillion restarts.
>>
>>1290241
I only play on speed 5 with one war on a single front. No amount of number crunching will close the real skill gap.
>>
Why the fuck have cypriot rebels popped up in paris?
I am playing as burgundy if that matters.
>>
>>1290371
Cyprus is Francien primary culture so it's possible if you already killed French rebels in a different province.
>>
How do I escape loan hell? Just pick fights and demand money?
>>
>>1291008
yes.
also use burgher loans to pay off bank loans.
reduce army maintenance to save money
exploit tax dev
ask for ducats with favors
sell crownland if you have to.
>>
>>1277904
death, taxes, Bengal in Indochina
>>
>>1282229
Three mountains or True Heir of Timur
>>
>>1284530
do everything you can to form Russia, then do what Russia did to the Turks for the past 300 years
>>
>>1291019
I'm an idiot I used bank loans to pay burgher loans so I could get a bigger burgher loan, prolly shouldn't have done that.
>>
>>1291044
the burgher loans are specifically lower interest at 1%, so you pay less per month on the interest. That's what makes them good. with the bank loan you have to pay at around 4% so you pay more per month. If you extend the 1% burgher loan, you are paying less per month than if you extended the 4% bank loan.
>>
>>1291094
so if I find myself with money I should focus on paying the 1 percent loans over the 5 percent ones so I can take out another burgher loan?
>>
>>1291098
or should I be paying the 5 percent ones off first since they're a bigger drain on my income?
>>
>>1291100
You should always pay 5% loans off first because they're a huge drain on your economy in the early game. But if your loan size has greatly increased since you last took burgher loans you should pay those off first and take them again to pay 5% interest loans. Loan size is only affected by total dev. So in a typical OPM game where you go over force limit with mercs and are automatically taking some worthlessly tiny loan every month to expand rapidly, as soon as you peace out you can take a couple large regular loans, pay all of the old ones off, then take burgher loans and repay the regular ones so you have very little interest.
>>
File: 20221223160724_1.jpg (642 KB, 1920x1080)
642 KB
642 KB JPG
GUYS.
Do I form Greece? I just fought a brutal war with Austria against Poland, Venice, Two Sicilies, and Tuscany, kicking then out of the Greek theatre entirely. I have no idea how I managed to win considering they had twice the number of ships, but hit-and-run raids sinking a few dozen here and there eventually worked in my favor.

Is there any advantage to being Greece, other than roleplaying?
>>
>>1291163
>Is there any advantage to being Greece
They have a nice blue color
>>
>>1291163
Catholic Neapolitans forming Greece is incredibly cursed and offers absolutely no benefits besides map color. Do your Crusader mission tree instead.
>two sicilies
Rare
>>
Republics suck and playing as them is awful.
>>
>>1291191
>t. 0, 0, 0 monarch governing for 50 years
>>
>>1291206
Disinheriting and abdication were added 6 years ago. Meanwhile republics have a mountain of bad events unique to them and keeping tradition at 100 is a mil point vacuum.
>>
Republic with sortition is the big brain move, the candidates you pick from are usually good and then they get bonus stats added on top of that, with a lifetime appointment so you don't constantly lose tradition to reelection.
>>
>>1291244
Republics are still saddled with -40 max absolutism and worse reforms than monarchies and theocracies even with sortition. They're only good for Medici larping as Florence, and Italian signora sucks because of the 8 year terms.
>>
>>1291110
thanks anon this stuff isn't explained in game very well.
>>
>>1291211
>using the cheese that Paradox added to make the game even easier
>>
>try playing as finland
>only option is to restart until sweden breaks free with pretender rebels before you get diplo annexed
10/10 amazing game
>>
>>1277779
Play ck
>>
File: 20221224104110_1.jpg (684 KB, 1920x1080)
684 KB
684 KB JPG
>>1291168
>>1291169
Okay i accidentally Epirus, is this bad?

I got a ton of financial and cultural stability from doing it though. The Ottomans just imploded as well
>>
File: eu4_map_BUR_1627_04_07_1.png (323 KB, 5632x2048)
323 KB
323 KB PNG
New player here, is my run as burgundy doing good?
Tolouse and Gascony are my vassals and i've just beaten the turks alongside the poles
>>
File: eu4_map_BUR_1627_04_07_2.png (282 KB, 5632x2048)
282 KB
282 KB PNG
>>1291880
Castile is my ally and has my dynasty on the throne, but they wont become spain because aragon has 3 provinces and two sicilies is allied to the UK, Poland and tuscany at the same time.
I'm also next as emperor (im protestant)
Religion map
>>
>>1288332
Greece is considered to be one of the worst formable nations in the game for a reason. Just stick as Epirus or meme your way into a better formable nation
>>
>>1291880
>>1291884
Nice run so far. but paint the rest of France already
>>
File: eu4_map_BUR_1658_07_10_1.png (307 KB, 5632x2048)
307 KB
307 KB PNG
>>1292103
I'm emperor now and took the rest of france, dont know if i should make my vassals marches since they are there to protect the frontiers of my realm
>>
>>1292138
I'd say eat them since you're shooting for a Castile PU anyways. But now that you're emperor you should start liberating provinces and work towards revoking the privilegia
>>
File: EU4-Italy-Region.png (14 KB, 296x260)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
I asked over in /vg/, but I want to pick your brains here too:

I have done many campaigns in EU4, several of which involve the conquest of Italy. But it is by far, the most slow and bogged down part of any game because of the aggressive expansion. How do I get around it, /gsg/? I want to do a Byzantine game, but the idea of AE in Italy has me dissuaded.
>>
>>1292212

Espionage ideas are nice for AE reduction. Start conquering Italy early so you're not eating it all at once later on. When you're near the home stretch, go ahead and push fast and hard to get all the passes annexed and fortified, then fight out the coalition, preferably on your own terms by attacking some basic bitch minor power. The rapestack will likely attack the mountains in Italy. 150k of your own troops can slaughter all of Europe if your enemies overstack and you trickle in your reinforcements to avoid the morale loss on unused reserves during battle.
>>
>>1292212
Play as Saluzzo and pick Espionage and then bird so you're papal controller.
>15% from Saluzzo traditions
>20% from espionage
>20% from papacy
>10% from 100% prestige
>10% from 100% spy network
-75% AE is some serious shit
>>
>>1292230
>>1292257
Thanks for the input frens. Espionage it is! Also, might try to go catholic Byz for that papal control. But converting will probably be a pain. Will take a LOT of catholic rebels.
>>
>>1292286
You only need 1 catholic rebel, just let it walk around and siege all of your provinces including one mothballed fort. Just remember that you need 50% of total development to be catholic but rebels will enforce at 50% of provinces so if they siege all of your low dev land you'll need to unsiege behind them. You can easily get Catholic rebels from Bosnian land.
>>
thoughts on Extended Timeline mod?
>>
>>1292479
Modern day plays like shit
>>
Playing Japan colonizing the new world. So far I have

Exploration ideas
Expansion ideas
Quality ideas
Innovation ideas
Plutocratic ideas

Thinking influence ideas next to keep liberty desire in check but the rest of the bonuses in that group don't really help me much. What's a good follow on idea for the ones so far?
>>
>>1292519
Trade maybe?
>>
>>1292141
Thanks, I'm lotharingia now and my house (de bourgogne) is on the thrones of castile, poland, denmark and the two sicilies
unfortunately every time i could claim their thrones, my leader dies and i go into a regency
>>
>>1292519
Go for admin ideas now if you have any plans of eating China
>>
>>1292631
I forgot kongo but i'm pretty sure that's glitched as t I've never interacted with a single power outside of europe and ottomans + their allies in war
>>
File: eu4_map_LOT_1749_06_27_1.png (207 KB, 5632x2048)
207 KB
207 KB PNG
>>1292631
>>1292711
Finally took castile as a PU
>>
Anyone got an answer to >>1292955
>>
>>1292961
Yeah they fixed that
>>
>>1292971
Damn, guess I'm Uninstalling lol
>>
https://pdx.tools/
This is useful
>>
File: 20221227173825_1.jpg (711 KB, 1920x1080)
711 KB
711 KB JPG
>every ally bailed except Florence
How fucked am I?
>>
>>1294171
Literally Castille are the biggest cocksuckers in the game and I hate them.
>HURR DURR I HAVE 200 OPINION OF YOU AND NO WARS, NOPE NOT GONNA FIGHT AUSTRIA ANYWAY LOL
>>
>>1294171
mercs and loans out the ass
>>
>>1294214
Nah, I just decided to reroll Milan and start over. Going to zerg rush the fuck out of Venice this time with mercs and try to grab as much turf before Shadow Kingdom event as possible.

I wonder if there's any negatives to just staying in the damn empire as opposed to abandoning it. I'm assuming if I remain in HRE then France won't attack and Austria will leave me alone.
>>
File: 20221227220013_1.jpg (689 KB, 1920x1080)
689 KB
689 KB JPG
>Nah, I just decided to reroll Milan and start over.
This was the right decision. Check out this border gore. Austria somehow got in a war with France and the French fucked them up. The Empire is basically balkanized now, and Hungary is the biggest player in central Europe. Italy is a shooting gallery, and I'm being hit by coalition challenges by shitters with 3k troops.
>>
>>1294333
Dismantle that shit ASAP
>>
>>1294398
HRE? Or Italy? I'm about to run a train on Lucca, Savoy, Mandua, and maybe Switzerland for the memes, just because I can. Austria and Venice are too weak to oppose me now and France doesn't give a fuck, despite the former "domineering" attitude.
>>
>>1294671
the coalitions, probably. Im sure you know but countries on a truce with you cant join a coalition
>>
>>1294685
Note that countries that have a truce towards you still count towards the coalition being able to form, although it might not if you truce locked the only major that could join.
>>
>>1276790
Anyone got into Third Odissey closed beta? if anyone could upload it and post it, would be great
>>
>>1295549
no its closed
>>
Call ally into war to shave two years of fighting but have to share the spoils
>or
Don't call them and jew all war reps for myself
>>
>>1295661
lot of missing context here
>>
>>1291477
the base game should have "play as subject" so start as sweden, wait for the opportunity to declare independence and then when youre free, "release finland" and tick the box "play as subject". just hope to god you can ally someone that can repel Muscovy.
>>
>>1294270
honestly, youre safest option is to stay inside the HRE because if you do happen to dodge the unification war with Austria (after leaving i'm guessing), you'll have France eyefucking the shit out of your land in a few years time. remember, you can leave the HRE after youre confident you can go it alone.
>>
>>1295661
if you promise land you only need to give them enough so they don't show the "thumbs down" during the peace deal. if you give your ally the thumbs down you won't be able to "promise land" to other allies for a while (forgot the year count). but the favours still work
>>
>>1283098
well you were right. it's just too difficult to try and maintain 10development in the old world while trying to outcompete the likes of Ottomans; especially since I was going for "Great Khan" achievement as well. I've opted to just do "Great Khan" and the "Graze my Horse Here and Here" (own 201 grain provinces)
>>
File: 20221231173311_1.jpg (656 KB, 1920x1080)
656 KB
656 KB JPG
Fuck France, and fuck French people
>>
File: 20221231173255_1.jpg (818 KB, 1920x1080)
818 KB
818 KB JPG
Also, while we're on it, France is so sure I'm going to attack Saluzzo that they've put their entire army up there to starve.
>>
File: images (29).jpg (21 KB, 512x500)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>1297216
Why don't they just wipe you out, they have four times your numbers
>>
>>1297216
>i'm boutta make Isonzo look like a fucking joke
>>
>>1297256
I think I buck broke the AI because of having two fortresses in a row right where my stack is standing. So if they chase me, they'll have to siege and can't pursue me into Italy. Add to that I've hit those provinces near Saluzzo several times already, so I guess they're just paranoid. If I take Saluzzo they'll have zero access to Italy.
>>
>>1277904
Late game map painters are disgusting
>>
>>1292212
Vassal feed, improve relations with everyone all the time, be smart with casus bellis and cobelligerent shit, establish communities with merchants, diplo rep adv or improv. relations adv etc. There are a lot of ways to reduce AE and it's a good indicator of the difference between a casual and someone who's played for a while.
>>
>>1276790
should I get this game without any DLC? and how do I learn to play it
>>
>>1276790
Riga playthrough when?
>>
Fate of Islam updated
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=830446836
>>
>can't ask for trade power in peace deal
>search up why
>It is because my enemy already is getting trade transferred from his vassal
I hate swede programmers so fucking much
>>
>>1297216
wow. you play with the regular terrain map mode? why dont you use the simple terrain? some of the map on regular is hard to identify. for example, the second province of ferrera, is that forest, or grassland? maybe a shitty hill??
>>
>>1298336
that sounds retarded bro. you sure you didn't just have a Casus Belli that doesn't allow the option of "transfer trade"? Declare a "Trade Dispute" war and tell me you can't "transfer trade". then come back to us and bitch about swedecucks
>>
>>1297876
>a lot of ways to reduce AE
almost everything you just mentioned had nothing to do with AE reduction. well done.
AE, and subsequently where Coalitions form, is based on how fast youre expanding; which is affected by the type of warfare (75% AE province cost for tribal conquest CB) the provinces you take (HRE provinces have higher AE cost as compared to non-HRE rival provinces) and if you have AE cost reduction bonuses from something like the "Espionage" Idea
>>
>>1299589
desu what he's really talking about there is how to reduce coalitions, which is the end result of AE. You'll never get rid of AE but there's ways to work around it.
>>
>>1298474
I am sure. It is literally the same casus belli I just used to get trade transferred from another nation and I even cancelled the vassal trade to verify
>>
>>1276790
how do I get past venice's annoying navy to siege their meme island if I'm a small nation
>>
How in-depth is the warfare in this game? Is there logistic management for the warfare?
>>
>>1299806
Wait for the Big Kebab to inevitably dab on them.
>>
>>1299811
>Paradox game
>logistic management
holy kek, there are only two Parashit games that even truly attempted logistics, HoI3 and M*rch of the Eagles.
>>
>>1299815
What about resource management at least?
>>
>>1299914
No resources, only mana.
>>
>>1299914
Only HoI3 & Victoria
>>
>>1299950
Does victoria have good warfare? I heard 3 was a massive flop? Are there some good non-paradox alternatives?

I would like to focus on becoming an economic powerhouse but also steamroll people with the military I develop with it.
>>
>>1276810
this
>>
Fairly new and never played much past 1700, how often do ai colonial nations end up independent?
>>
>>1300035
they'll declare when they're confident they can win; unfortunately they need to be damn certain they can win before doing that, so they take the overlord's army strength and overlord's ally army strength into consideration.

The DLC will also determine their "thinking"; unfortunately during the campaigns I've played, that went past 1700, no colony had revolted. But, I didn't stomp Spain or Portugal's army's enough to incite them into rebellion. Also, I've got like 3 DLCs so maybe it's more common with the other content added. am very tempted to do a few months subscription to try the other DLC but I've not checked reviews on if the DLC is worth it...
>>
>>1299996
define good warfare bro. what is "good warfare" as determined by you?

I found TW:Shogun2 to have decent warfare, in that i was at war with fucking literally everyone. like, every clan, I was at war with. so I'd class that as good warfare.

Mind you I was playing on Legendary difficulty and (spoiler) every nation eventually declares war on you, even your allies... but serious question, what is classed as "good warfare"?
>>
>>1300231
i hate how a slight overuse in paragraphs will result in being potentially labelled as a faggot redditor. fuck reddit spacing.

Milord give me strength!
>>
>>1299996
2 is simple but solid, no logistics though. Unlike the other games soldiers are directly tied to your population rather than abstract resources.
>I would like to focus on becoming an economic powerhouse but also steamroll people with the military I develop with it.
To give an example of that, in the late game you won't be able to create tanks unless you have an industry capable of building them. Other military goods are not so scarce but you'll still have a hard time maintaing a large army without domestic miolitary produciton. Usually it's about "maintaining" rather than directly "developing" the military with your good economy.
A recurring kind of game I've had that more or less fits your criteria is starting as a small new world country and, after growing your population through immigration and creating a strong economy, flipping to fascist or communist and steamrolling all of your weaker neighbors and finally having a big showdown with the US.
>>
>>1299589
You don't get AE with people you're allied with and have good relations with as much as when they're enemies or rivals. Also, countries won't join coalitions if they're at or above 100 relations. Dip rep and prestige also effect AE. But whatever, believe what you want I guess.
>>
>>1299996
Other than encirclements and the AI never retreating more than one tile the warfare is basically like eu4. It's the resources and the fact all your troops are tied to pops that makes vic2 different but that isn't really the warfare side of things as much as logistics.
>>
>>1300995
well now, you didn't say that in your initial post. if you had just said what you said now I wouldn't have been such a jackass. if what you said is true then I am gonna take your newer post into heavy consideration since I'm inside HRE atm and it's such a bitch to conquer.
tyvm for the (potential) tips anon
>>
>>1276790
>playing as bengal
>ming has made transoxiana a tributary and conquered most of oirat by 1500
Should I restart? I don’t want to fight a 200k ming in the 1600s
>>
File: 20230105215410_1.jpg (691 KB, 1920x1080)
691 KB
691 KB JPG
I want to fucking scream dude. I NEED to kick Spain out of southern Italy, but I cannot attack them directly because I will be fighting literally 1 million manpower in dudes. Plus I am allied to Spain. Is pretty much the only way to get this done to attack a random ally of theirs, like fuckin Lithuania, just to split their allies off? At least if I do it that way I'll keep about an even number of dudes between their allies and mine.
>>
>>1276810
tihs
>>
>>1301771
Depends on their allies. Of they're rivaled to France, they won't give military access so you can just occupy the territory and kill enemies that pop out of boats. That is, assuming they don't have allies who could ask for mil access. Otherwise, yeah, your strat would be best
>>
>>1301763
They are guaranteed to collapse once in a few years.
>>
>>1276790
Mission trees are a fucking mistake.
>Getting independance as Sweden was a big deal
>Now you literally just mop the floor by getting 3 GPs that rivaled Denmark
>Oh and also you get free CB on all of North Germany and some we wuz vikangz CBs on Russia
>Lithuania was a nice country for an above-average start
>Now its piss easy because of free PU on Poland
>Bohemia was a cool midrange option with a lot of HRE fuckery potential
>Now it can PU all of Eastern Europe
Missions should just be reward for doing mini-challanges, not handholding excercises
>>
>>1301862
It seems like everyone in the game is rivaled to France because France has 200K troops somehow despite being carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey. So tired of them being retardedly OP. But anyway, the deal is ZERO of my allies will support me in a direct war against Spain, whereas Spain has Lithuania, Portugal, all their colonial provinces, and I think Bohemia. So 576K troops with 1 million+ manpower.

The way I see it, I no CB Lithuania, eat the 1 stab hit, then I'm fighting Spain and Portugal and their colonies with Great Britain, Hungary, and Austria on my side, which ain't much but better than nothing. That more or less evens it out, but they still have the advantage. Then I zerg rush through Sardinia and Sicily with my doom stacks since they only have three forts, take all of it, and then just camp until the war exhaustion takes over. The problem is I have territories in Africa they'll definitely attack and take, so my exhaustion might tick by faster than theirs.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe provoking them into suiciding their fleets against Genoa, since I have fucking six sea batteries aimed there, and once their fleets are wrecked, blockade their coasts and prevent landings in southern Italy.
>>
>>1302024
I'll disagree and say missions should just be flavor. I liked having nation-specific events in CK2 and wished there was more of that in EU4 rather than "DO THING COLLECT MUNEY!" I get that it has to be this way though since they made some countries too goddamn overpowered, and you can't compete against them without the occasional golden rain.
>>
>>1302025
Also, Spain is rivaled to France, so their armies won't be moving through southern France. I just have to worry about beach landings and that Balkans FTL jump fuckery.
>>
>>1302025
>So tired of them being retardedly OP.
thats "historical playthrough" for you buddy. every game i'm having to deal with the same headache too: france, spain, gb, russia, otto. sometimes portu. and not in that order. if you want more chaos, put "luck" on random and see what you wind up with.

if you can't go up against the enemy directly, attack their weakest ally. thats how it's best done. sure the original target's provinces (in this case, spain) will cost more in the peace deal but some of it, bit by bit, is better than none of it. thems the breaks.
>>
>>1302025
i've never bothered with the battery building. do they actually stack? ie. 4 coastal provinces connected to the one sea province
>>
>>1302043
Well, I guess what will soothe my hiney hurt about it is that the Ottos will ally with me after this war (which I will fight when I get off work), and the only reason they won't right now is because I am allied to Spain. I don't want to go through with the 10-year peace either, that's why I'm going to attack Lithuania to scuttle it immediately. But then yeah, 200K from Ottos with 100+ ships will help me directly fight Spain, but after that I'll have to deal with the Ottos.

I almost understand why people blob and WC at the end of their run. Just sheer anger.
>>
>>1302045
Pretty sure they do. I fucked France up BADLY with this method. They had way more ships than me, but I kept 15 Carracks parked in Genoa with support ships, and every time France parked off the coast, I'd wait a little bit then rush out, take out half their fleet.
>>
Someone name a fun Asian country to play that isn't strong at the start, preferably in central or southern Asia. I don't want to be the Ming or Jurchen
>>
>>1302069
Mongolia. Hands down. You start as a vassal and work your way to greatness. One sec.
>>
>>1301771
>he hasn't consolidated all of Italy by that point in the game
big yikes.
As Papal States I usually have all of Naples subjugated and annexed by like the 1470s
>>
>>1302224
You have no idea how bad the alliance play was this time. I've never once seen France invade HRE and balkanize Austria before, but they did it on this run.
>>
>>1302069
Taungu, Pegu, Champa, Majapahit, Tibet.
>>
>>1276790
Is Nepal a fun country to play as? It just seems like a generic indian nation with a slightly delayed start, and I’m not masochistic enough to try for that riddiculous ghorka achievement
>>
File: image[1].png (37 KB, 1038x125)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
I'm about to finish the Frozen Assets achievement and was thinking of trying Humble Origins next. Any recommendations on where to start and just general setup? 50 pts only as a custom nation is practically nothing.

>>1302224
He clearly wasn't the papal states and doesn't get the free subjugation cb like 5 months into the game. Though he really should have united Italy well before 1550 at least....
>>
>misclick territory development before I made it a normal core
>use the console to give me the adm difference
>feel like I cheated even though it is the same result as if I hadn't misclicked
fucking autism
>>
vgh......
>>
>>1302838
I don't know how people can play on these fucking tiny resolutions where everything is super cramped UI wise.
>>
>>1302894
its ok for PDX games, total war on the other hand is total misery, the font is tiny
>>
>>1302894
It's not like there's a lot of important action going on in the non-UI part of the game, whether things are close together or not hardly matters. It's only a problem when you start missing out on information -- either because shit is overlapping or the game is actively hiding it from you (e.g. you can't find out the exact values of each terrain type with a low resolution, it's just not there)
>>
>>1302670
start on the island of bornholm and unite the HRE or conquer scandinavia and Russia
>>
best italian opm? forming italy as the big boys has lost its luster now.
seeing saluzzo and lucca most often, wanted to know if there were any other fun ones
>>
>>1302975
Montferrat starts with the same dynasty as Byzantium, it can be fun if you're LARPing.
>>
Is there a good gameplay overhaul mod that's between vanilla and MEIOU in terms of complexity?
>>
>>1301771
>literally allied
Start currying favors and ask for your cores back retard
>>
>>1302975
Saluzzo by far. Montferrat if you want to become Byz. The others all play the same.
>>
>>1303280
what DLC allows this? I don't have "curry favor" option
>>
>the one game in which I decided to finally succumb to savescuming is the only one in which I get perfect events (6, 5, 6, getting the Renaissance, multiple +stabs, pope elected, etc)
What did RNGesus mean by this?
>>
>>1277904
why even continue playing at this point?
>>
>>1281137
>he missed the humble bundle sale
all the dlcs together were 20$
>>
>>1303996
cunny favor
>>
>>1307473
>>
File: bug.png (3.99 MB, 1920x1080)
3.99 MB
3.99 MB PNG
is this a bug? i clearly have 13k troops yet it says 9k.
i also have a bug where lucca gets in a trade league with genova and immediately leaves. this happens every month or so by now.
>>
File: 20230112230753_1.jpg (661 KB, 1920x1080)
661 KB
661 KB JPG
also, should i swap milan's alliance with verona's? i need to take parma and also expand further up since i cant fight the papal state yet. i have the espionage idea if it matters (thank you anon >>1292230)
>>
File: 1673238542398.jpg (692 KB, 1920x1080)
692 KB
692 KB JPG
>Trying out Imperium Universalis
>Start as Ishkuza (Invasion Scythians) because I want to larp as a steppe horde invading the civilized world
>Media and Babylon defeat Assyria and split it between themselves
>Medea is big but not impossibly so
>About 20 years later an event starts where Medea begins inheriting Iranian nations
>This includes non Iranian nations somehow in Anatolia and Central Asia
>Medea inherits half the map and becomes number one great power
>Has more than twice the total development of second great power Babylon who they are also allied with
>This is with no aggressive expansion penalty because they "inherited" this territory and didn't invade or subjugate anybody
I genuinely don't know how to deal with this. I know historically the Medes were overthrown by the Persians under Cyrus. At this point it's just a miracle they haven't attacked me yet (knock on wood).
>>
>>1307706
>bug
9 infantry + 3 cavalry + 1 artillery = ?
Also, why did you even ally Lucca? Did you not fulfill the first mission that gives you claims on all of Tuscany and ER?
>>
Leave the HRE, annex vassals and rejoin
OR
Stay and endure the -75 relations penalty for annexing a member of the HRE?
>>
>>1307835
...i was hoping to vassalize them
>>
>>1308076
Fore vassalize them then, nigga.
>>
>>1308144
i cant, mf is still in the HRE. but i can now conquest them since i can fight austria with my ally hungary
>>
>>1276790
>playing Flanders
>snipe a start with Support Independance from France
>fast forward 80 years
>almost have full control of the lower countries, but need to go to war with Austria for the last few
>France breaks alliance
>wtf?
>check diplomacy
>I have -100 opinion of them
>France bit of a chunk of the HRE, got unlawful territory and then broke alliance because they thought I was too mad at them to be an ally
Fuck this shit
>>
File: 20230115180252_1.jpg (595 KB, 1920x1080)
595 KB
595 KB JPG
is this winnable? do i just play cat and mouse?
>>
>>1309983
Probably, but why bother? You're not war leader and you're not going to win hard enough for the AI to give you anything.
>>
>is another episode of the AI calling me to war against a nation they already outnumber 40 to 1
>>
>>1310094
>They do it right before you were about to annex a vassal or some other diplomatic action you can't do while at war
>>
>>1310070
Ottomans must be gelded asap in any playthrough, so if he can fuck up their expansion, its a must-do, unless you want to face off against 2k manpower regen a month juggernaut with 100k units.
>>
>>1302838
I cant stand playing colonial nations since taking exploration ideas feels like a waste of a slot when I could be taking innovative and it takes forever to get the ball rolling.
>>
>>1276790
doing a Kingdom of God run now and it feels amazing. Insane +90% manpower in true faith provinces + 2 super rich trade nodes and you're basically a hegemon in military, navy, and economy.
>>
Should I get this game on GOG? And if yes which DLC's should I buy
I aim to spend under 40 bucks if you can
>>
>>1307714
I always keep the milan alliance, in order to manage their expansion. Venice will spend the whole game getting into dustups with Ottomans and Austria.

You can snipe Naples as soon as they’re released by Aragon. If you’ve got a French alliance you can just not worry about anyone fucking your shit up from the north/west of Italy. Why is Sardinia released there? who owns, and who are they allied with. You can move into africa easy mode with that island.

I’m in the midst of a florence->tuscany->italy->rome run, but completely bored.

>1600ish
>Have relative on french throne
>Spain and Portugal spend few years being eaten up by me.
>Also stolen their colonies
>Ottomans blocked from Africa because I own all of north africa.
>Ottomans allied to Russia
>Austria is PU cuck to Hungary
>Commonwealth just didn’t form
>Ming imploded
>Timurids can’t get past Persia
>Byzantium is my vassal but i’m waiting for Ottomans to get weak.

I’m playing with Missions expanded on. Any interesting formables to play as?
>>
I'm gonna play a game of EU3, should I do Chagatai->Mughals, Ottomans invading all of Europe or Polish Calais to Alaska HRE?
>>
who are the best paradox youtubers?
>>
>>1311310
bokoen
>>
>>1309983
literally yes. stopping Otts snowball is a must.
also: stay in the fight until the main peace deal, because any loss, even if you personally dont lose anything. gives the "Revanchanism" perk (the handshake icon you see on the country's diplo screen)...if, however, the Otts want some of your turf then maybe be cautious since the AI won't hesitate to concede it at the peace deal. but keep in mind ally territory cost a lot more so the likelihood is slim.
>>
>>1311272
why even continue?
that sounds batshit boring

if you aren't playing with the intent of completing an Achievement then the playthrough difficulty must be set to Hard at the minimum, ideally VHard.
anything less is simply for newcomers.
>>
>>1285100
>Morroco
Waste of admin points. Rush colonies instead.
>>
>>1299811
It's a lot of noise, but at the end of the day I tend to just run my massive doomstack into the enemy doomstack and the bigger doomstack wins.
>>
Are there countries like Brandenburg and Savoy in the sense you start as a mid sized power and work towards uniting your culture group?
>>
File: basil II.jpg (56 KB, 616x607)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
I don't mind mana, it's nonsensical but gameplay wise it functions as a resource to try and maximize and get the most out of it. What makes mana bullshit is when it's used lazily to cap your fun without organic limitations in place. Like instead of expansion creating more moving parts in your empire that require delicate balancing, they just implement a mana cost to keep expanding that prevents you from blobbing everywhere. In Eu4 you can at least eat the cost and proceed regardless and then the 'consequences' of over-expansion are missing out on things the mana could have bought you (development and tech).
>>
>>1311310
Ludi
>>
>>1311310
i like redhawk. budgetmonk too but he just announced he isnt doing eu4 anymore
>>
any abos worth playing in australia?
>>
>>1311557
>budgetmonk
which side of the great culture war do you think he enlisted in?
>>
>>1311577
the side im on
>>
>>1311557
redhawk's kinda a fag but his guide videos are ok for newfag players
>>
>>1311603
I do like that if something strange or out of the ordinary happens in his guides (like Poland refusing the Lithuanian Union in his Riga guide), he will change it so that it's more like what an average playthrough would be like.
>>
>>1276810
tshi
>>
>>1311600
>budgetmonk joined the fag side
Uh, go figure.
>>
Should I try dissolving the HRE as Papal States? I'm so damn strong now I don't need them anymore and they keep getting involved when I try to invade protestants to destroy their centers of reformation.
>>
File: 1564989928775.png (202 KB, 288x273)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
>>1311272
>If you’ve got a French alliance you
no. i fucked up right at the start and didnt ally them. now they are my biggest enemy and even allied with castille. they also PUed naples.
i am preparing to fight them so i can take genoa, ive got hungary as an ally and i can ally some small german nations. overall... 180k against 80k...
>>
by the end of the game should my estates still have any privileges? Or should I be structuring the government reforms in a way to make 100 absolutism be available?
>>
>>1311691
I would honestly restart the run, you fucked up with the Lucca alliance to begin with.
Can you expand into Sardinia?
I would just work towards rampaging over north africa while europe is busy doing its thing. Milan is protecting you from the north as a buffer which really helps. Start wars with europeans who are already in wars. You might be lucky and avoid France coming to the aid of any of your faggot neighbours.

>>1311370
Yeah i fucking know, the rest of the game is just a curbstomp it’s just a matter of waiting for the right tech.

Are there any good Nepal/Tibet missions mods. Craving some buddhist bloodbaths.
>>
File: 20230118114240_1.jpg (642 KB, 1919x1078)
642 KB
642 KB JPG
>>1311915
this is the current year. i merged two pictures so the map is france's and the left screen is for tuscany's. castile has 53k troops. i cant go into tunis because they are allied to morroco and ottomans. i think ill go ahead and try raising my force limit. once i get attacked by the french (and have no chances of winning) i think ill restart and play another nation.
>>
>>1312294
why dont you find a way to ally with frances rival/s?
you know that if you're threatened by "france" or rival "france" you will have a higher chance of getting good enough relations with frances enemies to then ally with. rivals love to piss each other off by allying with smaller nations (that the other one wants) all the time

i mean this sincerely; unless you want the challenge, and depending on your position, you don't want to be allying a lot of baby nations
>>
>>1311915
if you play on VHard you'll find even playing the major nations a challenge.
>>
>>1311357
The people he surrounds himself with are probably funnier than Bokoen himself desu
>>1311505
Ludi has great insight, but the problem is he can get very annoying quickly BOOYASHNACKADOO

>>1311557
Redhawk is probably the best.
Too bad about Budgetmonk, but I wish him well.
>>
>>1310796
you just have to wait until 1500s, isnt innovative only good if you're in italy/not declaring wars?
>>
>>1312294
Hmm interesting. Remove france as a rival asap. Curry favours, improve relations, try and get that alliance with them, that way you can trade favours for a break alliance between france and genoa, keep currying favours, break alliance with castille. Other than that, maybe pick exploration and just hop around africa and start fucking up the bush niggas, hopefully castille and portugal have been busy in the new world to not focus on africa. Build a power base away from europe. Huge props to you for continuing with this run, would be hilarious if you created a chinese rome
>>
File: 20230119155729_1.jpg (618 KB, 1920x1080)
618 KB
618 KB JPG
>>1312863
i removed france as a rival and started bootlicking them but i got extremely lucky in two sections:
1. castille asked me to be their ally
2. genoa broke their alliance with france
so now i have formed italy. i also went to africa but i cant take any provinces from ooga boogas since i have no cores nearby. i vassalized benin because of that but i cant annex them because i have no CORES nearby.

i was thinking of going around africa and vassalizing the niggas so i atleast get some money and trade power (if its even worth something) and fucking up austria and hungary but i fear i will weaken them too much and will just enable france and the ottomans to pick them off
>>
anyone have tips for Afghanistan. Trying to do true heir of timur. I can get free of the timurids and sometimes get mamluks and chagatai as allies but where should i go from there
>>
>>1312819
getting miltech earlier than everyone else pretty much gets you a free win
>>
File: 1646768897028.png (2.74 MB, 1920x816)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB PNG
Is it cringe to watch EU4 guides on a nation before playing it for the first time and stuff?
>>
>>1313260
yes
eu4 is only fun and engaging so long as you play badly, the second you get good you may as well just launch MS paint and use the bucket tool on an empty province map
>>
>>1313261
I really hated being bad in HOI4 because of all the setup involved. Though I'm not that bad EU4.
>>
>>1311310
Spudgun. Unlike most Paradoxtubers he isn't a total shill or obnoxious weirdo. He only plays Victoria 2 though.
>>
>>1313027
Damnnnn gg.
Take Sardinia and Corsica from Genoa after the truce is over. May as well eliminate that little cunt and his jew leagues while you’re at it.

Don’t worry about annexing benin. Get him to fabricate on the surrounding niggas and feed him those provinces. Bee line to moroccos southern border, and start blobbing into them.

Idk why Ottomans are occupying naples, but that’s a good opportunity to cut them(Naples) to pieces too unless they’re still attached to france in some capacity.

You’ve done really well so far desu, I would’ve given up and restarted a while ago but you’ve got this. I think at this point you have to pick your existential threats, one at a time. You’ve got Austria as a rival, you may as well take them to town if you feel up to it. See pic related (Anatolia and Western) for when you can hold your own and even delete the ottomans, which when the time comes, should be your number 1 priority, especially if you wiped out austria, fuck the commonwealth.
>>
>>1313267
the best part of HOI4 is the first couple of major wars you do, after that it becomes a steam roll. And the waiting 3 hours before your factories/focuses are set up loses its charm after a while
>>
>>1285100
pretty bad you should be colonizing like crazy and heading for mexico and peru for that sweet gold
>>
>>1313260
nah you wont get good for a very long time anyway
eu4 is so bloated that even with 5k hours you will still forget mechanics
>>
>>1276810
ni hao
>>
>>1311557
>budgetmonk too but he just announced he isnt doing eu4 anymore
Good, his last run of video was pretty much just shitty clickbait.

I'll regret not having his byzantium tutorial for every new patch tho.
>>
>>1311911
You start revoking privileges before absolutism. If you got more than 100 max absolutism you start giving back (or not removing) the +1 monarch point privileges. Court & country is still relevant because of that, it gives you the leeway to restore more privileges.
But yea, 100 absolutism is the name of the game.
>>
>>1313680
admin efficiency is just too damn good.
>>
whats the general infantry template for 1600s? im going with 20-2-18 by now and my troops morale cuts in half after every battle, even against 10k stack
>>
get more cav for the flanking bonus
>>
>>1313893
you need way more arty than that, at least 30, also bump infantry up to like 34.
>>
>>1313904
i first went with 20-4-16 but i saw that the additional 2 dont even reach troops so i thought they were the problem
>>1313905
should i even go above 40k? wont there be supply trouble?
>>
>>1313916
>supply trouble
just split the stack into 2 stacks when not going into battle.
>>
>>1311603
Why is Red Hawk a fag? I only know he uses nigger slang like "bruh" and "mid".
>>
>>1314029
comes off as a redditfag
also don't visit his discord it's terrible
>>
>>1314137
>comes off as a redditfag
I don't think so. He doesn't talk about politics at all, and is generally pretty chill. Never seen him act like a redditor.
>discord
Why would you join a public server? I just use trannycord for one private server I made some months ago. All public servers I've joined were awful. Never joining one again.
>>
>>1278921
>>1277204
both help take more provinces stack this with 100 absolutism and the monument at malta maxed out and you can take nearly something the size of lithuania at the turn of absolutism ironically both very good for conquering and diplo helps prevent coalitions. You can also turn into a theocracy I believe and get more land cost reduction and then on top of that when you finally get imperialism it'll stack with that. Remember most stats in this game do not have a cap.

They are also Commonwealth so reconquer CBs for released nations they can make will help reduce AE in the early game. There's a lot of reasons why influence is still good depending where you start who and why.
>>
>>1313267
>>1313261
do you nigglets play on VHard?
If not, then I have to call you out on your bullshit "omgah EU4 soo easy"
>>
>>1313680
>100 absolutism is the name of the game.
not it's fucking not. it's not "the name of the game" if you're not wanting to blob the world, and you already have other ways of improving discipline.
a lot of nigglets in this thread I swear down.
>>
>>1314797
shut the fuck up about vhard already. you mentioned it 9 times and nobody responded to you about it
>>
File: 20230120200714_1.jpg (614 KB, 1920x1080)
614 KB
614 KB JPG
literally unplayable
>>
>>1314798

It's the name of the game.
>>
>>1314797
yes once i learned the game i always played on hard or very hard
sadly giving a few bonuses to the AI doesn't make up for lackluster game design
>>
>>1314942
This pic made me realize that Rijeka is the only province in that region without a dinamic name, despite arguably being the most important one. Should be named Fiume
>>
>>1314838
if you stop whining about the game's easiness then i'll stop mentioning vhard difficulty. simple as.
>>
what does "formalize the right of reelection" actually do?
>>
The Islamic piety system is very good, but it can be difficult to play as a mystic because unless you constantly declare war with other Muslim nations, you will always be on the legalist side which is easier to maintain. IMO, declaring wars should not even affect piety.
>>
What's a good strategy to win a war against Castile early on as Portugal? I'm really struggling with this, but I managed to get a #1 great power run as Byzantium before.
>>
>>1315908
Dissolve alliance with England, Ally France???? France is great for fucking over Castille and you can rape them before France starts getting interested in their provinces.
>>
>>1314798
>he wants to larp as a powerless cuck and not an absolute chad ruler
Sad!
>>
File: 1670066716824.jpg (537 KB, 1920x1080)
537 KB
537 KB JPG
In one of the most boneheaded moves I've ever seen from the AI
>Portugal manages to get an PU over both England and Ethiopia
>Allied to Castile which is the premier power in Western Europe other than France
>Portugal goes to war with their own ally Castile over the succession for the Irish opm of Thomond
>Breaking of alliance with Castile means that Portugal is weakened enough for England to declare war of independence
>England is allied with Tunis who has eaten most of North Africa and is allied with both the Ottomans and Mamluks
>France invades Aragon/Castile while Castile is busy fighting with their former ally of Portugal
>As a result Portugal loses PU over England while also losing all of their North African holdings to Tunis
>Both Castile and Aragon lose land to France
>Portugal basically traded the entirety of England including their starting holdings in France for a one province minor in Ireland that they didn't even get
I suppose its better for me in the long run but I really was interested in seeing what Portuguese dominated Britain would be like. Maybe I'll use console commands to restore the PU out of curiosity for what could've been
>>
>Want to play a country.
>Have to reset like six times before the game will give me starting rivals that don't fuck me over.
Why is this a feature?
>>
>Old thread died.
and your first thought was to make another? This isn't /vg/, we don't do generals here
>>
>>1315649
Legalism is a way to get free corruption money. Mysticism is just a meme.
>>
>>1317210
Succession Wars are automatic though
>>
>>1317509
The attacker gets a popup asking if they want to contest the throne. But it's very possible the AI is programmed to always say "yes"
>>
>>1317311
Yeah it's pretty disappointing how useless mysticism is. It might as well not even exist. Otherwise it has some great rp potential with nice debuff like playing as Shia Jihadist for example. What a shame
>>
what governments allow me to take brides from other nations? I want to be able to do that with nations where they offer a bride to me. also can I have more than 1 nation bride? or is it first one only one?
>>
>>1317990
you can get a royal marriage as a monarchy or Italian signoria
there's no cap on RMs
only real restriction is that Christians can't RM non-Christians
>>
>>1317544
On my first Byzantium run, I got Bradenburg as a PU and got the option to fight the Commonwealth (my ally) or give them up to the Commonwealth. I went for the war just to give them back Bradenburg through the peace deal, but I clicked on "Suggest Offer" and I could just break my alliance with the Timurids (which were pretty weak outside of being allied to me, and the Commonwealth wanted land from them). Use suggest offer more bros.
>>
>>1318286
Forgot to say, but I only allied the Timmy's to beat the very strong Mamluks more easily. Ended up only fighting them like twice the whole campaign for the Basileus achievement provinces. I popped out Syria for a future war, but I ended up never going to war with them since I was too busy in Iberia and italy. I could have done a Roman empire, but the things I lacked were: some parts of northern Italy, all of France apparently, and London and York. Great Britain was pretty strong in the game though and even became a naval hegemon. Lost a war to them because I couldn't land in mainland Britain because of their huge navy.
>>
>regional power decides to ally not 1, not 2 but all 3 of my rivals making the early game a slugfest
>waste the next 100 years wiping their nation and culture converting their cores
>>
What graphical improvement mods work for 1.34? I Used to use TBARW and GIM but neither have been updated for over a year.
>>
>>1318325
graphical map improvements works fine for me despite not being updated.
>>
File: 1670132584029.jpg (591 KB, 1920x1080)
591 KB
591 KB JPG
Somebody tell me how and why Scotland has the highest dev province in the world other than my capital when their actual capital is only at 23 dev
>>
>>1318415
Tall meta bay beee.
>>
Playing as natives in North America for the first time since around 2015. Despite all the shit they’ve added over the years, it’s still mind-numbingly boring, most of my time is spent on speed five waiting for shit to happen. I can’t believe they tanked the game’s performance and colonization balance for this, it’s not even fun after all that.
>>
why am I even playing this game
I tried playing in very easy mode, and holy shit it blesses you with troops + amazing economy, but then I fought a war with Portugal, occupied their entire country, and only got two provinces in the peace deal, I guess because I didn't occupy the ENTIRETY OF ENGLAND
doesn't that seem unrealistic that you could militarily occupy an entire fucking country and only take two provinces from them? Why does everything in this game have to be so fucking convoluted I just want to conquer land like a barbarian
niggers smell
>>
>>1318450
>retard is filtered on very easy

should have kept it to yourself
>>
>>1318454
nigger
>>
I was playing as Somalia and raided Japan. That's all I have to say. A thousand Jap women got raped by Somalis.
>>
>>1318490
I am conquering the land with my army of pajeets. many bobs and vegene will be shown of the white wimminz ahhh yesssirr
>>
>>1318450
I'm pretty sure you would have gotten more if you waited for their war enthusiasm to drop to red.
>>
>>1318501
INDIA SUPERPOWER BY 1600 SIR
>>
>get bored of the same ol shit
>add a bunch of custom nations all over the map
>destroy the main world powers thru so many new nations being added
>sit on my island nation tenerife next to castiles island gran carnaria
>castile gets rekt by 2 other new nations
>has to relocation their made trade and captiol to the island nation
>no longer stronger than me
>wants to be buddies now that its reduced to 1 tiny island and a busted army
>>
>>1319064
cheater
>>
>>1317306
And when this is done, another will be made, and if you are lucky you could be the one to do it
>>
>>1319298
adding nations isnt cheating you low IQ pleb. fuck outta here with your peasant take
>>
File: 20230126135039_1.jpg (630 KB, 1920x1080)
630 KB
630 KB JPG
>>1313027
forgot to update on this. miraculously i got a PU with britain and i went to war with france. first war sucked i only got one province because we were fighting for years with no progress. then i got quantity and got double the size of their army. now im picture related
>>
Give me a fun country to play that isn't just railroaded by missions into 20 year limited casus belles.
>>
>>1319542
Majapahit, though now it’s hard start, Bengal or Afghanistan into Mughals, Oirat into Yuan, my personal favorite Jianzhou into Manchu into Qing
>>
>>1319313
cope
>>
I'm still butthurt that MEIOU 3.0 sucks. They should just fucking scrap the whole thing, make 2.7 with 2.6 economy and 3.0 estates and go from there with 2.8, 2.9 and so on.
>>
>>1319595
yes it is cope you think a feature of the game is cheating. its ok anon you'll just have to accept others play different than you and autism flairups wont change that
>>
>>1319685
What happened with it, isn't it the deepest version of meiou?
>>
>>1319841
Yeah precisely it's so deep that you need a phd to play it. It's also so realistic that your country is an entity that develops itself, meaning as the ruler you are better off delegating everything to your administration and are mosty just in charge of passing laws and declaring wars. Very realistic. I find it boring as fuck though.
>>
>>1319846
They build their own structures too? I haven't heard about an automatic administration
>>
>>1319851
There are not really 'structures' to speak of as in buidings. There is infrastructure and monetary investment.

Infrastructure just raises a cap and it's up to the player to do it. You have to check inside a bunch of menus if the province hit a cap or not. Say you find out a city is full and your people can't find housing, you upgrade the housing infrastructure there. If it is unused it also decays over time. It's not that different from building town/city halls in 2.6 but still, why does it imply all infrastructure is qualitatively the same? Why would the only difference between my brand new 1700 naval infrastructure and the crappy 1300 one only be the number of people who can work on the docks? I can't help but think vanilla/2.6 buildings didn't make any less sense there, as long as you saw them as an abstraction.
However that system is still overall okay.

Monetary investment is the main one, it's a very opaque system which replaces buildings. It involves spending ducats (1,5,10,100...) on a province to upgrade one of several things there, like fisheries or forestries. The catch is that if you overinvest it will drain your money, as what you effectively did is just raise wages to attract more people (apparently your money is never used to subsidize new fishing boats or set-up forestry administration, it just raises wages), so you probably end up with millionaire peasants (which stay part of the peasant pop btw). How does one know how much is too much? Well generally it seems to always be too much since even fucking 10 gold usually turns a province into a deficit for 5 years, at which point it might make 0.01/m more than before, if you're lucky. So you end up with an insane stockpile of gold that you can't do shit with. So what is recommended is "just use the auto-investor bro" which means you stare at your screen doing fuckall (not to mention it's laggy as fuck) at which point I have to ask what the fuck is the point of playing this mod anymore.
>>
>>1319959
It looks like that. There is also maintenance of your investments to manage. Also recommended to just leave it on automatic.
>>
how do I remove those silly options like must be in china land to have heavenly mandate government. I want to move my china heavenly mandate nation to america to conquer it in 1500s and these silly restrictions get in the way of my fun
>>
>It's only 1560 and India is already mostly united by Bahmanis
Why does this always happen? I've never discovered India as a European power and not seen it divided between 2-3 megastates before the 17th century hits. The AI always blobs super hard there for some reason and I don't understand why. It's a massive pain since it means I'll have to send nearly my full army halfway across the world if I ever want to conquer anything there
>>
>>1320440
>Conquering India
>Using an army from Europe
Why do you think this should work, exactly?
>>
>>1320465
The Portuguese acquired several cities in India in the 16th century, with relatively small armies and by allying some Indians against other Indians. It should work because it happened in real life, also it would allow some trade to be directed to Europe, particularly Portugal. Not that it should be the British Raj and massive amounts of land in 1600 but there definitely should be a few outposts that Europeans can take. Should be by event. I remember an old version of meiou allowed you to befriend some Indians and buy provinces from them.
>>
>>1320521

You can still use the charter option in diplomacy to get a city.
>>
>>1276790
Shame I did Baltic Crusader before Lion of the North came out, it would make it much more fun.
>>
File: image334.jpg (1.11 MB, 2560x1440)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
I'm waiting for the next M&T update to be quite honest
>>
>>1319558
Manchu/Qing is one of my favourite EU4 nations but I have never seen the AI form them in any game I've played. I thought for sure with the China update that they would get something to make them form Qing more often. Although canonically they formed in the 1600s which is already halfway through the game
>>
File: 1643622453548.jpg (641 KB, 1920x1080)
641 KB
641 KB JPG
>all of the great powers on the Protestant side aren't even Protestant
They still ended up losing because France got separately dragged into a war with England when they invaded Scotland and I had invaded Russia with the Commonwealth just before the religious war broke out so it was basically just the Ottomans and the smaller prot states against the entire Catholic coalition.
>>
how the fuck do i win against ottomans as karaman?
got mamluks, hungary and crimea as allies, still got our asses kicked and one by one all of my allies slowly peaced out
>>
>>1320780

You scorched every province, right? Don't bother with forts btw.
>>
>>1320799
oh so just screw their lands up?
sounds good havent tried that one
>>
>>1320521
>The Portuguese acquired several cities in India in the 16th century, with relatively small armies and by allying some Indians against other Indians.
This was accomplished primarily by their allies in each case. The Portuguese provided decent support, and were rewarded for it.
>It should work because it happened in real life
Only Malacca, IIRC, and that was largely due to timing. The city declined as a result.
>also it would allow some trade to be directed to Europe, particularly Portugal.
This depends on trade links being established with the local powers. This is something that's basically impossible for MP, due to the way embargoes and warscore work, and the Portuguese were largely booted from India precisely because they were gnats latching onto small provinces.
>I remember an old version of meiou allowed you to befriend some Indians and buy provinces from them.
We have the "Charter Trade Company" button for this. You can buy your way in during peacetime.
>>
>>1320806

The idea is to do a Fabian strat and run circles around them. Their war enthusiasm will run out if you do it long enough.
>>
>play castille last game
>they come say hi this one by taking just one(1) province near me for no reason
Aww.
>>
File: YIIKing out.png (1.58 MB, 1360x768)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB PNG
>>1320936
>I wonder what they got up to in Amer-
Good for them but not for me...
>>
>>1314942
Retard it's cuz you probably already have a core
>>
>>1319515
beautiful to see, you should surely be able to begin the cockroach extermination program. Free Byzantium for easy return cores, don’t let those pricks become a march however.
Once France/Ottomans are completely done for you can just pick and choose which nation to take down next. I’ll post my current campaign tonight, after work.
>>
>Spanish mission tree gives you a restoration of union CB on Austria
>They blobbed up 1/3 of the HRE and currently hold a PU over Sweden
More for me :)
>>
Are there any EU4tubers that aren't pure zoomerslop?
>>
>>1318450
1. Cool it with the racism buddy
2. When making a peace deal, hover over the red cross if they're rejecting it, it'll tell you what factors are influencing their decision to reject. As another anon said, it could for example be that you can wait longer for their war enthusiasm to drop. If you're finding it especially difficult to get their submission while they're allied to England, you can also demand they break the alliance as part of the peace deal, then fuck them up more easily next time.
>>
>>1318450
>plays on very easy
>complains it's too easy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.