[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 32 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 3131414141541.jpg (45 KB, 460x215)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
One of the best linear warfare era games. I don't get why he didn't make a Napoleonic version. It would absolutely mog empire total war or napoleonic total war.
>can actually do delaying actions
>can actually do retreats in good order
>reserves are actually needed
>battles don't last 5 seconds
>harassing with cavalry is a huge factor while miseuse is deadly
>campaign is focused on trying to conserve your force (like real battles)
>>
>>1268600
I'm going to bump this thread because the game deserves it.
The steam sale is not so much of a discount but I am not a shill so pirate it if you fancy trying.
>>
>>1268623
>I'm going to bump the thread because I'm a shill
>>
>>1268600
It's fairly good. I never liked the fact that the game is railroaded to the historical progression of the IRL civil war when I dominated as the Confederates in every battle and effectively got nothing for my troubles.

I actually used a screenshot from this game where Nathan Bedford Forrest and a bunch of other cavalry were rushing down a bunch of dirty Yankees in a silly class debate for the 1860 election, pulling off the most stereotypical Southern slave owner voice possible. Breckenridge won. Slavery remained forever.
>>
>>1268985
>I never liked the fact that the game is railroaded to the historical progression of the IRL civil war

That's kind of the point isn't it? No matter how well the south performed on the battlefield they could never outcompete the north in terms of sheer manpower and industrial output.
>>
>>1268993
True, but it gets kind of ridiculous whenever you clearly dominated just about every major and minor battle of the Eastern theatre. There was already some dissent in the North before Lee's march about continuing the war then despite the material advantages. I highly doubt anyone would be wiling to fight it if the South regularly wrecked the North in just about every major confrontation from Bull Run to Antietam with little to no serious material or manpower losses for the southern army itself since the game doesn't really model stuff like the March to the Sea or the Confederate money printer. Then again I played on normal and I'm a contrarian try-hard, so maybe its equivalent of hard would be more fitting.

The game itself is a solid 7.5-8/10. I love the management aspects before a battle a lot. I wish Total War would take some notes from it if they ever decide to be competent and give something like Empire another go.
>>
>>1268600
>>1268639
>>1268985
>>1268993
>>1269000
Samefag shill kek
>>
They announced a Revolutionary game a while back but no news ever since
>>
>>1269000
Isn't
>b-b-but the eastern theatre was going so well!!!
while the west shit the bed what happened irl?
>>
File: lol.png (36 KB, 612x267)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>>1269054
True. The South was going to probably lose in almost every scenario thanks to the nice little Anaconda plan. But it's a video game, it doesn't have to adhere to reality 100% of the time and I just enjoy stationing my Johnny Rebel super sniper team at a river bend where I can massacre a bunch of Irishmen with impunity too much.

>>1269022
lel
>>
>>1268600
I don't know what happened I was a mess at the time mentally but I couldn't figure out this game at all. I'm not dumb
>>
>>1268600
The cartoonish graphics and movement ruin the immersion for me. Can't get into it at all even if the rest is good.
>>
>>1268993
the south would never win militarily but they didn't have to, as long as they won just enough battles to convince the north the costs weren't worth final victory, same way that vietnam and afghanistan was lost. Plus if lee had won gettsyburg completely and marched on dc who knows what could have happened, even with the loss at vicksburg.
>>
>makes game impossible to mod without manually hex hacking
Fuck off Darth.
>>
UG american revolution when?
>>
>>1269415
It's not you. The game's trash.
>>
Ah yes, back again shilling this broken steaming pile of shit.

A game with no multiplayer, so you are limited to the AI. Yes, the same AI who will feed its units into battle piecemeal. Advancing a single artillery battery along the road towards your infantry so they can be slaughtered before they can unlimber their guns. Absolutely stunning stuff! A game where your single troop of cavalry is capable of tackling each and every enemy formation one at a time, defeating each in turn for yet another glorious victory.
Look, its a great game for fucking stupid fat ignorant neckbeard slobs who like to larp as the living reincarnation of General Lee, while they pop their pimples during battles, but that's as good as its gets. Any gamer who managed to finish High School should avoid this pile of trash.
>>
>>1269460
you're right, I almost installed it just now
>>
>>1268600
It’s fun but I find it quite easy using what I don’t think is supposed to be a good tactic. CSA gets a bonus to melee combat so most battles I charge in strong in one area of the line and then shove men and artillery into the breach.

Just finished a campaign with 4-1 casualties as the CSA doing this most battles.
>>
I just want to mod in unlimited ammo but they make it so hard to change things.
>>
>>1269452
I haven't heard any updates on that game in a long while. But apparently it's still in development. Hopefully we will hear something soonish.
>>
>>1269490
Devs are Ukrainian.
>>
>>1268985
You do get to storm washington and force the union to end the war so it's not that railroaded.
There's games where you play as the side that historically lost and lose the campaign just as badly even if you pull off decisive victories every time.
>>
Best part about this game is purchasing armaments for your army. This engine set in the Napoleonic Wars would be based.
>>
>>1269494
>Devs are Ukrainian.
uninstalled
No but really the game is good but has some major flaws. Most of the gameplay is the same.
1. Detach skirmishers
2. Merge all line infantry into a big blob by overlapping movement orders
3. Use skirmishers to prevent enfilade firing
You can take any position in the game by following these simple rules. Melee is very weird in the game, one regiment against one other does nothing, but send 5-6 at the same time and there is a massive damage multiplier for each. If you've had your men on hold fire the entire time they'll all shoot at once when the enemy routs (usually into the open) and completely waste their formation.
>>
>>1269496
The game has to be the way it is.

If Union wins bull run IRL, they match straight into Richmond and the war is over and is a historical footnote lol
>>
>>1269678
>Lincoln would've been able to send black slaves back to Africa with the south going full autist
>>
>>1269425
>Plus if lee had won gettsyburg completely and marched on dc
honestly, even if the Union lost Gettysburg it wouldn't have changed much. DC had a separate garrison army and was the most fortified city for either side during the war
desu, the biggest issue was that neither side could obtain decisive field victories due to a wide variety of reasons(terrain/leadership/no professional soldiers). The confederates were relying on such a victory to get peace, but it just wasn't feasible
>>
>>1269497
>This engine set in the Fantasy Napoleonic Wars would be based.
fixed
>>
Some very excellent ideas and execution in these games but seriously brought down by the mission scripting. This thread made me want to give the game a round of play so I booted up a historical battle and didn't even finish it because there were like three objective changes and map expansions within half an our and one of the objectives changed while there were like 20 minutes left on that goofy timer which doesn't correspond to real life minutes.
And according to the mission briefing I was supposed to be keeping the union from advancing along some road and through a town. Then the mission starts and I'm supposed to take some hill from the "union right flank" but since the map is restricted, is all I can see of the union disposition. Then I take it and then the map expands and I have to take another hill. Then when I'm just about to take the second hill, before the time limit has hit, the game removes the objective and asks me to take a third hill. And what the fuck happened to the road I was supposed to be holding? I never found out because I wasn't in the mood for Darth's bullshit and closed the game

I should clarify that this only plagues the major battles. The minor battles are excellent in my opinion and almost always fun. Except by the end of the campaign it's actually detrimental to play them since they're huge slugfests with huge casualties and the bonuses are so random and pointless it actually hurts you to play them. I mean, I still played them, just thought it was a weird mechanic.

If Darth irons out the rough edges, I'd gladly play his revolutionary war game. Or any other game with this persistent campaign structure.
>>
>>1270274
>minotaur grenadiers
>elven skirmishers
>centaur dragoons
>dwarfish artillery
>>
>>1270372
>all in classic Napoleonic uniforms and big hats
but no
I mean in fantasy earth because having many different maps and situations would be more interesting to play than Napoleonic era
>>
I love this game but it has some annoying things
>linear campaign means that your enemy will pretty much always have the historicla amount of troops (makes sense since otherwise they'd run out of manpower halfway through but it does make it feel like casualties don't matter)
>AI can be a bit dumb at times (advancing straight over a river into your guys who are standing in a forest)
>THE FUCKING SCALING
I was so goddamn annoyed by that last one. Dedicated skirmisher brigades are pretty much useless in almost all cases but I had one or two for pure sniper duties, picking up free kills from beyond regular rifle range. But once you get a few battles into the campaign, the enemy army scales off yours, and since you have 100% sniper skirmishers, that means they suddenly have like 5 fucking fully equipped sniper brigades harassing you
Is Age of Sail good? I was never good at making ships fight other than initially crossing the T
>>
Play the J & P Rebalance Mod. You can even set the AI army scaling to static so it doesn't rubberband your army size in the mod config files.
>>
>>1270623
>check mod site
>description of static mode is "This mode is very bare bones"
>>
>>1269425
The only way to convince the North to back down would have been to get McClellan elected in 1864. Once Lincoln gets a second term, it's over. The South could have won a dozen major victories on Northern soil and Lincoln would have still had enough political capital to keep the war going.
>>
>>1270658
The South's best chance was not to secede, but to simply ignore Fed/Supreme Court and wage guerilla warfare on anyone sent to enforce against them.
>>
File: large.jpg (127 KB, 1024x462)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>1270372
I would prefer to use minotaur as a shock unit like lancers.
ogre as grenadiers they can throw them all day haha
typing giant grenadier into images did not come back with the result I wanted
>>
>>1270661
This is actually the only win condition. GB was desperate to intervene but Russia guaranteed the Union. With no formal declaration bongland could do what US is doing to Ukraine just now and fund them infinitely.
>>
>>1268985
Forrest's activities were often more akin to mounted infantry than anything else. What he did back then is basically what the cavalry does now.
>>
>>1270672
>GB was desperate to intervene
not at all, it was actually more France pushing for that angle on Nappy 3's theory that the US was going to be the greatest threat to the UK and France within the next few decades. Between Egyptian cotton and the detest the bongs held towards southern slavery they were never gonna intervene

>>1270701
>mounted infantry
that's cavalry on both sides, mainly due to lack of professional cavalry forces pre-war and issues with horse logistics
>>
>>1270710
You need to read more.
>>
>>1268600
But was it good?
>>
>>1272901
I took a dump in the backyard last night because someone else was in the toilet. As I watched the steam rise from my pile of shit I knew I was looking at something which could pose a greater challenge than GT:CW
>>
>>1270716
What, alt history?
>>
>>1268600
I played this for a bit but then I failed because my units would route at the enemies army that was 3 times the size of mine, was impossible to do anything.
>>
>>1269460
what the fuck are you talking about? its hands down the best AI in any civil war game. we are talking about darths game, not grand tactician civil war you dumbass.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.