[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 48 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 4580_20221120205758_1.png (1.21 MB, 1440x900)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB PNG
Anyone still play DoW1? Been playing a few skirmishes with a friend vs AI and it's been pretty fun.
>>
No, please fuck off game workshop paypig
>>
>>1266619
Haven't played it in a long time - DC is great though.
>>1266622
Decent chance this is a botpost.
>>
It's been a long time since I played DoW 1. Good times. Never played with any mods. Are there any ones out there I need to try out?
>>
>>1266619
its one of the games im trying to play through.
im currently still trying to beat the blood ravens campaihn in dark crusade.
wouldmt really consider it a strategy game but more of a tactical action game like commandos but i really want to play dawn of war 2 again but i cant until i get through all of the first series.
>>
Played it recently to test out new hardware. Still plays amazing even if all I do is just spam IG artillery and support weapons.
>>
Are there any good graphic mods for this game?
>>
File: 20200428000745_1.jpg (641 KB, 1920x1080)
641 KB
641 KB JPG
>>1266619
I haven't played for a while
>>
An excellent mod or skirmish and online play is dow: pro. It improves the balance (no more dawn of eldar), makes early game units still be useful and have a purpose late game, makes the units more about hard countering like in vanilla dow rather than soft countering and spamming op units, improves the ai, and improves the graphics.
>>
>>1266619
Use UA then we can talk
>>
>>1266997
mod *for skirmish
>>
>>1266619
DoW1 was fun back in the day.

DoW2 was a good game but not a real sequel to the first since it's more RTT than RTS. Would have been better as a spin-off or something.

DoW3 lol garbage.

Still waiting for a proper sequel to DoW1.
>>
>>1266619
The only good DOW game lol.
>>
>>1266619
most of us got bored from the same game over and over again
i am here waiting for rogue trader to come out
>>
I know it's an offtop, but I can't be bothered to start a new thread justto ask one question:
Is Battlesector any good?
>>
>>1266619
>friend wants to play it
>excited because I didn't play a DoW1 match in like 7 years
>game starts and suddenly collide nostalgia with reality
>pathfinding makes simple movements a FUCKING PAIN
>grenades have an impact of a fart
>ranged fire is the king because melee results in moshpits
>those moshpits are hard to read because units mix up trying to sync animations
Is it playing DoW2 too much? Everything there was responsive and easy to read at a glance. Even melee units kept some formation, engaging the closest enemy to the rest of team.
>>
>>1267579
Gladius is the better Slitherine 40k game imo.
>>
>>1266816
What map? Also, where do I get more maps?
>>
>>1266619
I've been playing a lot of uni with my friends recently. Devs are complete faggots, but survival is fun.
>>
>>1266619
I play Soulstorm a bit
>>
I like the dark crusade
>>
Is there any mod that makes Soulstorm campaign fun, or is Soulstorm a lost cause?
>>
>>1268908
Dark Crusade had a better campaign than soulstorm but I like Dark Eldar and Sisters
>>
>>1267506
DoW 2 was good too. Really nice campaign. They tried something new and it paid off, it was fun.
>>
>>1269033
The campaigns were fun, but in my opinion it didn't have anything close to DoW1's replay-ability.
>>
>>1267584
>>ranged fire is the king because melee results in moshpits
Get the oldest vanilla DoW1 version you are able to find. If there are no caps on anything except relic units, this is likely the one you want. It still has infantry and vehicle caps, obviously, just none of that gay "you can only make X Terminators" shit.
>>
>>1268976
DC had a Sororitas mod. Not 100% sure, but I think it was called "Witch Hunters".
>>
>>1269043
True but still it was fun. It was different approach and still had fun mechanics like cover, sync kills and gear/skills you could kinda upgrade. Pretty cool story too.
>>
>>1269075
Yeah they even did a good job making the Orks amusing despite the fact that you're not playing Gorgutz
>>
>>1269075
>gear/skills you could kinda upgrade
Kinda?
>>
>>1269601
Yeah the skill system was pretty basic. At some point also collecting gear become obsolete once you got terminator power armor.
>>1269589
Yeah, it was fun to play that orcs in Retribution. Retribution was repetitive but at least they gave you option to play with most bigger races.
>>
>>1266619
Yeah been inclined to do a Tau dark crusade game. Been a while. Wasted what just have been thousands of hours on it. Shame we never saw a HD remake.

Good memories of playing a custom map called Fortress 332 or something. 3 players behind the walls 5 attack. It could go on for 6 hours +
>>
File: 1.png (976 KB, 711x1290)
976 KB
976 KB PNG
>>1269830
>At some point also collecting gear become obsolete once you got terminator power armor.
Quite to the contrary, on Primarch it sucks for all uses except to give Avitus the assault cannon.
>>
How do I play Orks in DC/SS? Do I just make melee Boyz and tarpit the enemy until I can develop Lootas? Because Shootas seem kinda shit.
>>
>>1271266
Oh wait I forgot, DoW1 doesn't have Lootas.
>>
>>1271266

Spam Killa Kanz everywhere.
>>
>>1271266
>Because Shootas seem kinda shit.
Well you'd be wrong because Shootas are amazing
>>
>>1271266
shootas shred any light infantry like crazy, they're a must have against shit like guard grenade spam. but for the most part in the early game you're just playing around your big mek until you can get wartraks to blow up strategic points and defenses
>>
Why is there 3 versions of UA now
>>
>>1271964
I'm going to guess drama between people in the team, that's usually what causes this.
>>
>>1271964
>>1272124
What 3 versions are there? I could only find the default and calamity. Calamity seems to be some guys submod designed around multiplayer balance, in other words a compfag mod. Doesn't seem like he worked on UA before
>>
File: Dow_Intro1.png (1.14 MB, 1421x815)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
What happens if the AI attacks your headquarters on either Dark Crusade or Soulstorm's campaign?
I still can't believe the first game had the best intro cutscene. I don't really understand what happened to 2 and 3, it's like they wanted to be serious and then arty farty... and forgot it's a toy soldier game where fun and manchildren coexist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFkFo5SBx-g
>>
>>1272139
Crucible
>>
>>1272174
>devastator marine advances before the tacticals
>predator gets blown up by some ghetto whatever just because
>losing this many marines in what is essentially one on one with basic bitch orks
>losing a fucking dreadnought
I was better off not remembering the intro very well.
>>
>>1272174
>What happens if the AI attacks your headquarters on either Dark Crusade or Soulstorm's campaign?
Same map but designed like a skirmish fight. That being said the stronghold maps are usually designed such that the defender has a big terrain advantage
>>
>>1272181
Ah thanks anon, seems like a cool mod too. It looks like the mod authors did some other work that they let the UA team take over. Doesn't seem like what >>1272124 said happened
>>
How in the fuck both Sindri and Lord Bale an Alpha Legion? Has Relic just picked a Legion at random? They behave like the generic Black Legion goons.
>>
>>1272287
Outside the snake motif which was very, very light the Alpha Legion are essentially a blank slate at that point in time. So Sindri being a scheming backstabber and Bale being a patsy is logically the kind of thing the Alpha Legion might do. The real problem is the Khorne Daemon helping Sindri out.
>>
Bump
>>
>>1272287
Remember that the original DoW is now nearly 2 decades old. It's of voting age. Lore was different back then.
DoW is so old it had Oldcrons.
>>
wish this game would get a remaster. With modern resolutions the camera really sucks. Need mods to help. The textures could be so much better but the core game is still amazing.

Forget soulstorm, just give us a remaster of the all the others in a bundle, that would be perfect.
>>
>>1273665
>wish this game would get full of AIDS with a side of fixing some technical problems.
Nah.
>>
>>1273708
>with a side of fixing some technical problems.
And adding quite a few new ones.
>>
File: titillating.png (170 KB, 474x502)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
DoW2's campaign is way more fun than anything DoW1 has to offer.
>>
Anybody tried out Unification mod?
I thought about giving it a spin recently
>>
>>1273803
The mod itself is fun, if kinda bloated. There are a lot of races but since they're by entirely different teams (all Unification does is putting them together in one mod, in some cases with a bit of extra polish) quality is all over the place.
>>
whats more balanced
playing a dawn of war tournament with all current expansions and pathes
or playing in a tabletop 40k tourney with current edition rules?
>>
>>1267506
this, dow2 was disapointing and didn't touch the third
>>
>>1273795
Dark Crusades campaign is best then dow2s campaign, the rest of the series is shit
>>
>>1266619
is it better to play dark crusade or soul storm if i just plan on fighting bots? id be ok with installing mods, i just want more competent ai to fight.
>>1266997
is it for dark crusade or soul storm? what website is it on as im retarded when it comes to mods that arent on steam workshop or dedicated forums for 1 game.
>>
>>1274577
Dark Crusade has the better campaign by far. But go with Soulstorm is you really need SoB or Deldar.
>>
>>1274577
https://www.moddb.com/mods/dowpro

https://discord.gg/ABf3MRV7
>>
>>1272183
From a lore perspective the campaigns of DoW 1 are retarded, anon:
>Blood Ravens CLEARLY not Codex Astartes compliant, despite every other piece of lore stating otherwise,
>Blood Ravens having a single Librarian, despite their lore stating them being able to have entire SQUADS of the fuckers,
>Their main battle barge possessing some unique psychic MODs in lore - never even mentioned in any of the other games,
>In-lore obsessed with collecting information, arcane and esoteric knowledge - within campaign burn anything related to it (his is remedied in DoW 2, where they have a shitton of "collected" relics),
>Their Chapter Master/Chief Librarian being dedicated to FUCKING KHORNE,
>Oh, and said unique combination of Chapter Master/Chief Librarian is disbanded as a result of the campaigns,

And that's just a few examples. Ironically, their campaigns, especially in the second game, only served to make them much, much more bland.
>>
>>1272183
>Muh lore
Dude its a cutscene and it looks cool, thats the whole point.
Tabletop is not "lore accurate" either since your space marine army can get beaten by basic bitch orks there too
>>
>>1274738
>>Blood Ravens CLEARLY not Codex Astartes compliant, despite every other piece of lore stating otherwise,
What lore says that anon? Do you mean lore written after the games? Those lore books are written by 3rd rate commissioned writers, they're essentially fan fiction with an official seal. If they disagree with another official product then they are not lore or you have to say they retconned part of the games
>>Blood Ravens having a single Librarian, despite their lore stating them being able to have entire SQUADS of the fuckers,
We only see a few companies, perhaps the lore refers to a special company within the chapter. Or it could be at a different point of time, like a golden age for the chapter. iirc it's mentioned in the game that the Blood Ravens are struggling to survive
>>Their main battle barge possessing some unique psychic MODs in lore - never even mentioned in any of the other games,
Was this mentioned in the first game? If so why bring it up continually when the barge doesn't play a role in the gameplay? You're grasphing at straws desu
>>In-lore obsessed with collecting information, arcane and esoteric knowledge - within campaign burn anything related to it (his is remedied in DoW 2, where they have a shitton of "collected" relics),
Only Boreal did this, and only because the relic that he wanted burned was a confirmed chaos relic. Of course it wasn't burned but the librarian gained it, and it corrupted him. In the later expansions, the Blood Ravens take all types of relics and in DoW 2 and 3 they take tones of relics too. Boreal is also considered a bumbling fool by the chapter
>>Their Chapter Master/Chief Librarian being dedicated to FUCKING KHORNE,
They got corrupted and were slowly corrupting the other marines. This was always an established danger in the lore, which is why the Inquisition was so suspicious of Space Marines
>>Oh, and said unique combination of Chapter Master/Chief Librarian is disbanded
They realized the dangers of it
>>
>>1272183
>>devastator marine advances before the tacticals
He advances with them as a unit though, just like in the game
>>predator gets blown up by some ghetto whatever just because
It was a rocket, plus it's the Orks anon, the lore literally says if enough of them believe something will happen then it will happen. Also could have just rolled a crit on table top, or the predator could have been low on hp
>>losing this many marines in what is essentially one on one with basic bitch orks
>implying space marines are near invincible
Anon the marines can be killed by a lot actually, a group of Orks could get lucky and kill the marines. This happens in the lore and on the tabbletop
>>losing a fucking dreadnought
Yes, didn't you see the Ork suicide bomber with the high explosive charge? That's the Ork counter to Dreadnoughts in lore
>>
>>1272183
This is the gayest post I have read on all of 4chan
>>
>>1274801
Please forgive him, he probably has autism (like most people who are heavily into wh40k "lore")
>>
>>1272183
Wait until you see how the tabletop isn't accurate to real life tactics...
>>
Which DOW has the best campaign?
>>
>>1274834
either 2's chaos expansion or 1 dark crusade
>>
>>1266998
>Use UA
Never.
>>
>>1274738
>>Blood Ravens CLEARLY not Codex Astartes compliant, despite every other piece of lore stating otherwise,
I don't remember this in the game. Has been some time since I've played the original campaign.

>>Their Chapter Master/Chief Librarian being dedicated to FUCKING KHORNE,
Eh. I guess this being so uncommon is part of what made him evade getting exposed for so long.

>>Oh, and said unique combination of Chapter Master/Chief Librarian is disbanded as a result of the campaigns,
Makes sense to change this after the massive fuck up with Kyras.

Pretty sure the rest is not from the games.

>>1274774
>let's pretend the point cost is the same

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.