[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 33 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Rome_ii_total_war_11.jpg (772 KB, 1920x1080)
772 KB
772 KB JPG
I know it had a rocky launch and myriad overpriced DLC packs, but in terms of actual gameplay, Rome II is still one of my favourite Total War titles. Anybody have any mod recommendations for this absolute kino? I've heard DEI is good but it sounds a bit slow for my liking.
>>
>>1262056
I doubt it, but is there a mod that allows you to move units independently of generals? That's one of my main gripes with the game.
>>
>>1262056
Why are they all clean-shaven when they valued beards so much that even their helmets featured them? Literally unplayable
>>
>>1262390
The Greeks and those influenced by them went on a long fad where being clean shaven was seen as based because Alexander shaved.
>>
Did anyone else hate the change to agents and the family tree? The originals were way more fun for me, i didnt really understand why thry butchered them.
>>
Terrible gameplay and the beginning of the end of Total War. Healthbars, loss of unit differentiation and spreadsheeting replacing the simulation(which CA still insists the games are supposed to be)
>>
>>1262056
Total War is all spectacle and no strategy.
>>
>>1262056
Field of Glory II mogs Rome 2 so hard it isn’t even funny
>>
>>1262390
Beards = barbarian. Some helmets have bears for the same reason some samurai masks were modeled after oni - to intimidate.
Compare:
>"Oh gosh, there's a demon in the enemy ranks!"
to
>"Oh gosh, there's a barbarian mercenary in the enemy ranks!"
And yes, barbarians were a big deal back then.
>>
>>1262899
Barbarian just means foreigner, someone who cannot speak the language (Greek or Latin in Rome's perpective). They were not considered intimidating by any mean by the Latin or Hellenistic cultures. Plus what you're looking at in the picture are Carthaginian spearmen.
>>1262390
Don't overthink it, there's no real accurate representation of Carthage's military men, all of the historical source portrays them as a pastiche of greek influence.
>>
>>1262390
>>1262937
>all of the historical source portrays them as a pastiche of greek influence
Meant modern historical sources. Which are just making assumptions. The bulk of their military force was made of mercenaries from all over the Mediterranean Sea. As to what did these soldiers look like, we don't know.
>>
>>1262937
>They were not considered intimidating by any mean by the Latin or Hellenistic cultures
They absolutely were, the Romans were deathly afraid of the Kimbri initially for example.
>>
>>1262937
>Barbarian just means foreigner, someone who cannot speak the language (Greek or Latin in Rome's perpective). They were not considered intimidating by any mean by the Latin or Hellenistic cultures. Plus what you're looking at in the picture are Carthaginian spearmen.
Are you by chance retarded? Barbarians were considered physically intimidating in battle, especially Germanics. Also the fact that it is Carthage is meaningless because they weren't some isolated culture, and were very much influenced by Greek ideas. Just look at their fucking formation.

The fact is that shaved = civilized, but beards = wild and untamed. You shaved because it made you look smarter, and you donned a fake beard because it made you look more masculine. Ancient Egyptian pharaohs also had fake beards as well.
>>
>>1262056
DeI has tpy submods if you like a faster paced game (I use 1 tpy). Today I was playing the grand campaign on the imperator Augustus map with some reskins and qol mods, but it felt a little boring, despite the game being very pretty graphically-wise
>>
File: 20220610220500_1.jpg (536 KB, 1920x1080)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
>>1262056
>I've heard DEI is good but it sounds a bit slow for my liking.
It's not slow at all.
>>
>>1262989
DEI battles are the slowest of any Total War game I've played, and that's saying a lot since Rome II is already slower-paced than most if not all titles.
>>
>>1263002
The battles are longer, that doesn't make them slower.
>>
>>1262056
the only gripe I have with this game is that the map is too small. EB2 has the Great Steppe when Rome 2 only has Crimea.
>>
>>1262989
imo the battles are fine, just the end turns kill me.
>>
>>1263002
I use the faster battle and unit movement submods, and they're updated.
>>
Does DEI only work for the main grand campaign? I'm currently doing a vanilla rome 2 main campaign playthrough and I'm wondering if the dlc campaigns are worth playing.
>>
>>1262056
The AI is pretty brain dead and sometimes does stuff that is simply annoying but yeah, overall it's cozy to play occassionally. Also, they don't have endless civil wars anymore. That shit was tedious and can now be avoided entirely. They should've not done the CKII-like thing though because it is badly implemented and boring.
>>1262937
Bit unrelated, but here is an excerpt of a German story (Rhabababarbara). Pretty sure stuff like this contributed to that.
Nach dem Stutzen des >Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbarts ging der Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbier meist mit den Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbaren in die Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbierbierbar zu Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbierbierbarbärbel um sie mit zur Rhabarberbarbarabar zu nehmen um etwas von Rhabarberbarbaras herrlichem Rhabarberkuchen zu essen und ein Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbierbier anzustoßen. Prost.
>>
>>1262056
Eh could never get into it. It's worth mentioning that Atilla, which I still consider really bad, was miles more playable and even somewhat enjoyable as opposed to Rome 2.
>>
Anybody got performance tips for Rome 2? The game is often lagging and stuttering insufferably. I have a decent gaming rig. I know it's old warshit engine. Still, any tricks I could pull?
>>
>>1263310
Yeah... that does take a minute.
>>
>>1263345
No, DEI has other sub campaigns not just the grand campaign.
>>
Bump
>>
>>1268209
why
>>
>>1268214
Why not?
>>
>>1263438
Prolly won't help but you could try changing the graphics settings. For some reason turning the graphics UP made it smoother for me. I'm not alone in that, mind.
>>
>>1262390
In hand-to-hand combat, a beard is a liability because it can be grabbed onto. That's also why shaved heads were the norm for pretty much all professional soldiers throughout history.
>>
>>1263438
I keep getting the UI glitching out and like the backdrop on shit disappears, particularly after long battles. Re-loading the save usually fixes it but it's annoying.
>>
>>1263182
The new remaster has some fuckheug maps, but my toaster doesn't run it well. Also the animations are clunky as the original, too bad.
>>
It's always funny to see DeI faggots defend their shitty mod that makes battles so slow that they need 60 minutes to finish

And the only reason is that they get BTFO in any game that requires micro like Shogun 2
>>
>>1262056
No fuck off you revisionost shill/zoomer.
Game is shit and thats that, now watch sane critique and seethe.
>>
File: 20210928205701_1.jpg (1.36 MB, 2560x1440)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>1262056
DEI is top tier dude, play it with a 41 unit army mod aswell and its the most epic shit
>>
Is Rome 2 the best choice for a scrub who's never played a TW game before?
>>
>>1268829
If you like the time period, yeah.
>>
File: The charge.jpg (898 KB, 2560x1440)
898 KB
898 KB JPG
>>1268829
yea its the least daunting
>>
>>1268684
The average DEI battle lasts 15 minutes.
>>
>>1268829
Yes, it's pretty straightforward and relatively easy to learn both campaign and battles
>>
File: 20210902202619_1.jpg (1.08 MB, 3440x1440)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>
>>1268847
I really dislike the war Rome 2 treats skirmishing. Historically, there was an opening "I'M NOT TOUCHING YOU" phase to almost every battle and this was where the velites and heavy infantry pilum were used. Once the enemy was properly assessed, then the battle would be joined.
But Total War just stubbornly makes all battles the same kind of pitched battle, and treats javelins as shitty short range archers when that wasn't their role.
>>
>>1269598
Javelins realistically would have a much shorter range than arrows. How would you have adjusted it?
>>
>>1269598
You'd like DEI Skirmishers then. Very powerful when used correctly.
>>
>>1269659
Man, light infantry in that mod is just fucking great. Nothing like watching your crack 4 speed (or even 5) infantry zip across the battlefield and delete heavy units with flanking and javs.
>>
>>1269851
I usually keep them in reserve to fuck with opposing archers or deter cavalry, but they can be devastating to any troops if they're flanking.
>>
>>1262056
I personally rate Rome 2 and Empire as my 2nd two favorite games, Medieval 1 is my absolute favorite though. As for mods, I recommend looking into Nordos mods. His unit compilation mod is the only way to use many of the awesome units made early in Rome 2's modding scene, the developers pretty much moved on. But Nordo updates whenever there is an issue
>>
>>1262056
rome 2 sucked, angry joe was right
>>
>>1272883
>Your account has been credited $7
>>
>>1262056
The Para Bellum overhaul mod is really good.
>>
>>1269613
Javelins should be more like a scout unit.
>>
File: DEI movement.png (1.65 MB, 1210x683)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB PNG
>DEI
Lol

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.