[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 80 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Games that literally only you remember. Validate that notion by sharing here!

>when French people try to make an RTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVcpiyMwQkI
>>
>>1249275
Eye member.
I don't know if it was my poor understanding of the game back then, but I remember that the game was actually easy to beat by just ending turns until you have end game units.
There is no dynamic AI trying to threaten you (at least in most missions in campaign).
Especially as Imperium, since most of their units suck ass, while Red Dragons rape everything, even their supposed counter (archers)
>>
File: 1662828845821.png (1.32 MB, 1200x675)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
Onimod Land, a Starcraft clone with decen AI.
The only thing I remember is that it somehow fried my PC.
>>
>>1249275
This game has a GOAT ost.
>>
>>1249350
You sure? Sounds like it was ripped off from somewhere.
>>
>>1249275
Man, I really liked this game as a kid and even when I replayed it many years later I still enjoyed it a lot. AI is pretty dumb, but the soundtrack and presentation are amazing.
It's also based on french comic series, but I haven't got the occasion to read it.

>>1249324
I remember a very old /vst/ thread about this game. The game was made by one Russian guy. Actually I have been tiring to recall the name of this game for a while, thanks.
>>
Does anyone remember that game where an eldritch flesh monster invades earth and you have to fight it off with cyborg soldiers? Probably misremembering a lot
>>
>>1249414
Atrox?
>>
>>1249432
No, that’s not it, though the building designs looks pretty sick. I remember it being more red and fleshy.
>>
>>1249275
Black Moon Chronicles was... fun?
The best things about it were the cinematics and the badass soundtrack.
Then the GOG version released and it turns out both the cinematics and the soundtrack were cut, because they are in some exotic format not even Poles comprehend.

As for my pick: Clash. Who fucking remembers Clash? Who cares that the sewuel came out in EA a few days ago?
>>
File: buy his rap mixtape.jpg (98 KB, 1024x768)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
Original War!

Remains to this day the most original RTS that looks like a normal C&C clone at a cursory glance.
>>
>>1249275
https://store.steampowered.com/app/615250/MAX_Mechanized_Assault__Exploration/

One of a kind strategy game. A bit like turn based c&c/dune. Similar units and base building mechanics, but with emphasis on scouting, fog of war and range of units. Very good AI and battle mechanics that demand combined arms for success.
>>
>>1249480
Leeme guess. You are either Czech or Polish?
Original War is the shit and I want to have its babies.
>>
>>1249498
>sees ape
>wants to have sex with it
Female hands typed this post.
>>
File: neanderthal-1.jpg (48 KB, 435x435)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>1249499
Cope

>>1249502
>never played it
Why
>>
>>1249498
Can confirm many west slavs age 25-35 enjoyed OG War
>>
>>1249508
For me it's Kirilenkova. Too bad she doesn't have much to do in the campaign outside of just being there.
>>
>>1249470
Clash was one of the first if not the first game ever played. Good times. I will forever have "Kill, kill, I want to kill someone!" highlander's line stuck in my brain. Honestly I think the game still look good even today. Better that the recent sequel I would add. But the gameplay is somewhat wonky as you might expect.
>>
>>1249535
I remember playing Clash when I was a kid, some 20 years ago. I really liked it back then, but I am afraid to come back to it, because I have a feeling that it held up better in my memory.
>>
>>1249275
>>
File: FHJhZ9QXoAImuWr.jpg (269 KB, 791x1200)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
Can /vst/ do the impossible and help me find the name for a really weird strategy game? I got it from a demo disc on a gaming magazine during the 2000s but the graphics and audio were quite primitive, so its possible that it was older or just made by one guy
There were just a few missions avaliable from the main menu i guess to show off the different forms of gameplay. One was a naval engagement with aircraft carriers and the other (the one that stuck around in the mind a lot better) was some form of agent vs agent combat thing. There were 5 or 6 slots for troops, enemies up top yours on bottom. Female units would attack by blowing kisses which was kind of funny since the goons on the opposing side would straight up just open fire. Both modes were turn based, the setting kind of pushes me towards ww2 since the naval battle had islands so it might have been in the pacific, but the characters in the latter gamemode looked like men in black so that might not be right
>>
>>1249323
>Especially as Imperium, since most of their units suck ass, while Red Dragons rape everything, even their supposed counter (archers)
Imperium got the best mages with best summons you dope. Unless ysou hexedit your saves you're gonna struggle financialy as Empire's agent so no dragons (who have bad habit of burning your own troops) for looong time.
> I remember that the game was actually easy to beat by just ending turns until you have end game units
You get +5 gold per turn while units cost few hundreds to way over thousands and building upgrades (gated by story arcs) gost in few thousands each. Unless you're trying to say you parked your armies in corner of first empire arc map and been hitting end turn for about 10k times you're either remembering wrong or straight up full of shit.
As for ai in tactical maps it just a-moves on your position w/o while on strategic map there is might be straigt up random until you move very close.
>>
>>1249702
Jesus fugging Christ this game was indie jank of highest caliber.
>>
>>1249480
We have occasionally OG threads around these parts. Code was released some time ago and there is some sort of community out on net with multiplayer, blackjack and prostitutes.
>you remember how many times you restarted story missions because you lost one lowly peon but you refuse to safe and load for that way you'd not get bonus xp medal.
"Ták demééé!"
>>
>>1249702
Bučant/Jano hands wrote this post.
>>
>>1249744
Google gave me this completely irrelevant but surprisingly obscure (for a 3DCG 2007 RTS) result
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Front:_Turning_Point
>>
Does Bottled Realms count?
>>
>>1250467
To me it's in this akward spot where it isn't quite obscure, but also it isn't quite well known. It's popular enough to get a remaster that went nowhere iirc
>>
File: Title-Screen-768x574.jpg (134 KB, 768x574)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
This is probably the first game I just outright bought because I couldn't find a site or tracker that had it up. Worth the cost of admission.
>>
>>1250613
I liked Armageddon Empires a lot more
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (142 KB, 960x720)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>1250657
I suspect Shadow Empire ripped off more than a little from that game.
>>
File: Abomination.jpg (72 KB, 500x375)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1249414
>>1249443
Abomination: The Nemesis Project?
If there's a bunch of satanic cultists being your first type of common enemies then thats exactly it
Freak-splittin' time!
>>
>>1250613
How is the AI? Is there an AI?
>>
>>1250657
>>1250862
>Armageddon Empires
anyone know how to rip card graphics from it?
to make cards for Shadow empire?
>>
>>1249480
you see, it's called Original War because it's so original, but also because it relates to the origins of mankind, so a war in mankinds origin = original war
>>
>>1251267
Better than most AI in current card games. Once you figure it out you'll always win, though. I guess that's normal. Not gonna lie, that game is why I don't play any game that has card game or board game mechanics in it, including modern Firaxis shit including XCOM. I hate noticing board game or card game mechanics now. I guess that's a testament to how good the game actually is since everything else is trash in comparison, but whatever you like.
>>
>>1251173
That’s it! Thanks, anon.
>>
>>1251173
I remember being very scared of this game because of the artwork shown in reviews in gaming magazines at the time. Turns out that it was just a shit game all along with nothing really actually scary in it. Also the special abilities the characters had sounded so cool on paper but again, shit in practice. Don't think I ever bothered going past first level.
>>
>>1252329
>Turns out that it was just a shit game
>Don't think I ever bothered going past first level.
A game not delivering on marketing promises does not a bad game make. Abomination is a decent RTT game.
>>
File: main_small.jpg (29 KB, 320x200)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
I've never met anyone that has played this janky piece of fantasy strategy, but I played it to death with my brother.

Fantasy empires.

You create a character and a class (fighter, elf, dwarf, cleric, magic-user, druid) and give stats according to d&d characters. You can roll, but you can also just put everything at any number you want.

These stats seem to change how heroes under your control do with various behind the background rolls. But charisma is a modifier on how much cash you make so it's the most influential.

Then you play on a very large map, with 1-4 enemies (who may be other players). There is rudimentary diplomacy (naps, treaties, demands for tribute, gifts). And you can send your heroes on quests. Clerics, wizards and druids generate magic that you can cast on the enemies on the map.

When you invade each other, you get a real time batttle where you control one unit each, and also the general strategy and starting positioning.

I just played it forever when I was young and know all the nooks and crannies of the game.

Then after defeating all enemies on the map, which took forever, your character gained experience. Then next time you play your starting hero of your class would start a higher level and your other heroes at half of that. It wasn't very impactful.

Looking back it was such dogshit, but I'l love it to my dying day.
>>
>>1251173
>a bunch of satanic cultists being first type of common enemies
Finally, Blood: the strategy!
>>
File: 8155_5bffc1aee36ad.png (170 KB, 800x600)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
>>1249275
Space Clash. Spanish game, iirc, something inbetween Starcraft and CnC, but with strategic gameplay in space inbetween RTS parts on the planets.
>>
Left behind: ethernal forces.
I wonder if anybody played that one. It is self published evangelical RTS, based on the kinda postapoc book series where all the righteous ascended and ones that didn't either live their lives, or fight for or against literal antichrist globalist not-UN. I have only read pretty detailed preview in a russian gaming magazine, and the mechanics of recruiting people from the common pool with the enemy instead of building units seemed interesting. But it never had a release here.
Apparently, it spawned expansion pack and 3 sequels, that may have used Rise of Nations engine.
>>
>>1249275
A pretty comfy WC3 clone
>>
>>1253255
Csokolom, paprikasz desu
>>
Against Rome is a rts I enjoyed tho I played it so long ago that I can't honestly say how good it is. Although set in a historical period, the game is so stylized that the three playable nations: Teutons, Celts and Huns look basically like dwarves, elves and orcs. imb4 you can only play as Romans in a special scenarios based on historic battles where you can't build base. I remember the campaign was also interesting because it had a couple diverging paths. For example you could follow the story of a Celt leader who sided with Romans or his brother who rebelled against them.
>>
Do online games count?
Forge of empires.
Made by a german company innogames it's their best game, although not without flaws
The game is really slow burn. End game is not about progressing through, but developing your city
>>
>>1254227
What were the romans styled as then
>>
>>1254388
romans
>>
>>1252329
I can relate somewhat. I remember seeing screenshots and artwork in gaming magazines when I was a kid and being enthralled by it. Many years later I came across the game's name again decided to finally look up what the gameplay actually is like and sate my childhood curiosity. I was very underwhelmed. I'm still a big fan of the game's aesthetic though.
>>
File: proxy-image(410)(1).jpg (17 KB, 259x194)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
Tzar: burden of the crown

Very nice rts in default medieval very low magic world.
>>
Does Warrior Kings count? The game had some decent ideas, but was painfully low budget.
>>
>>1256704
kind of, some people here on this board like it and i have no idea why besides vgh what could have been
>>
>>1256704
>Warrior Kings
Literally never heard of it, so yes
>>
>>1250657
Same. Solium infernum felt so bare-bones and sterile aestethics-wise.
>>
>>1251173
Great game, even though it's janky and rushed near the end.
>>
>>1252329
>Turns out that it was just a shit game all along

How can one man be so wrong? It's great, the atmosphere is unmatched
>>
>>1256704
Swedish PC gamer gave it a great review so it has always been on my to-play list, but I never got around to ut intil two years ago. Can't say I understand the good review.
>>
File: file.png (43 KB, 1683x461)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>1256762
Just basing that on what I've heard from reviewers and the few minutes of playtime I spent on it.

Pic related are the ratings from worldwide, but even my local gaming magazine (which was pre-internet era) gave it a pretty low rating I remember.
>>
>>1249480
not that obscure because /vst/ often has threads about it
also fairly big in the central european triangle [Germany, Poland, Czechia]
I unironically need a western e-celeb to do a material about it, Mandalore please bless us
>>1249512
>Too bad she doesn't have much to do in the campaign outside of just being there
and that's unironically a good thing, this game already has strong characters and she isn't weak either. She's doing her job. Take away Joan's romance and she's exactly like that too
I want a fanfic or fanart of Alliance Joan and Yelena going full lesbian
>>
File: 1655009988038.jpg (1.99 MB, 2403x3499)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
It was weird, it wasn't exactly pleasing to play, but it's living rent-free in my head because of how cool the setting was
>>
>>1257342
>open pic
>see Cryo
>"It was weird"
Was no need to say that.
>>
File: lt.jpg (367 KB, 1600x900)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
It's an anime Total War game with lots of rpg mechanics and like 12 really interesting campaign stories that play out like a visual novel, if it was fully translated it'd be a 10/10
>>
>>1257373
legitimately good game. an improved sequel would be awesome.
>>
>>1257409
I just want everything translated, it's a mod so I'm sure there's effectively a story sequel out there already. Need that demon story. I NEED IT.

Fucking love the art style too.
>>
That one russian RTS that is a follow up to Vangers. Perimeter?
>>
File: Goeta.png (87 KB, 300x223)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>>1250613
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1893810/Solium_Infernum/
SOON
>>
>>1257780
Why couldn't they have remade Armageddon Empires instead? So much better and better sell potential.
>>
>>1257780
What demons do ants bind?
>>
File: spoopyant.png (377 KB, 720x478)
377 KB
377 KB PNG
>>1257788
>>
>>1257414
way more popular than its prequel
>>
>>1256816
Not saying that an LP should be the end all be all when deciding whether a game is good or not but it looks like it really sucks from this perspective as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lubyi79e6SY&list=PL7GvZV4nKhERjzxIj9xdyhdqNEu5CpQWk&index=1

>there aren't even any monsters being fought in the first 4 hours
>looks like those special abilities barely matter
>AI is braindead retarded anyway
>>
>>1257785
Probably because of Shadow Empire being basically that.
>>
>>1257909
So you're saying I should buy Shadow Empire on Steam?
>>
>>1258007
>buy
Ha ha, anon make funny joke, just play game. There is no buy.
>>
>>1258007
>paying 33 EUR for something that looks like it was made in the 90s
Definitely no buy!
>>
So which of these games are *ACTUALLY* fun and not just either
a) nostalgia
b) third worlders using rose tinted glasses about they locally sourced shit strategy game
?
>>
>>1253253
I think I remember seeing it in a magazine at some point but never played it myself. I'm not sure if that's the exact game but I don't think there can be more than one modern day RTS about the rapture.

>>1254227
I remember that the Romans were, ironically, a roaming band that walked in from offmap and fucked everyone up. I mean, that's one one to liven up a skirmish scenario.
>>
>>1258552
Original war is actually decent and has some interesting ideas. Not sure how well it would hold up now though. Most examples itt that I know of are in fact some eastern european nostalgia jank.
>>
>>1257373
This game is the reason I'm actually considering learning Japanese, I wann experience all of it
>>
>>1258552
Why are you in this thread and not on /v/ drooling about latest AAA turd which is "actually good"?
>>
>>1260070
seesh, why you so heckin malding? fr fr, none of these games actually be bussin
>>
File: abamist rwome.jpg (231 KB, 1024x768)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
>>1249275
Against Rome, fairly obscure. i didn't ever finish it and the AI was a bit buggy in the custom matches, but i did enjoy it a fair bit!
>>
File: nihongo_guide.png (1.06 MB, 1280x2378)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>1259985
good luck
>>
>>1260116
Very nice, thank you anon!
>>
>>1260116
>max 1 week
So if it takes me 1 month, I should just kys myself?
>>
>>1257413
I don't think demons have a story anon, if I remember the manual correctly, they're the big bad and aren't a regular faction, they are at least playable outside of the story campaign tho
>>
>>1256704
I have weird memories of playing this at my fanatic mormon friends house like 12 years ago. Thanks for reminding me about this
>>
>>1260222
It means 1 week of pure study. You'll naturally learn them more as you move on
>>
>>1250613
>Constantly crashed
I really tried to play it with my friends and it just didn't fucking work for whatever reason. Seemed like such a cool game.
Also, SI 2 soon
>>
>>1249275
https://youtu.be/kxFGxjwEf1w

I found this today, seems lost lol.
>>
>>1260222
https://realkana.com/
Pick columns from the left and keep adding more when you understand.
I think max 1 week is generous. At least give it two
>>
>>1261559
Try compatibility mode.
>>
>>1260222
It takes no longer than two days. download the Anki deck, I think it works best. But the apps there are good too. https://tatsumoto.neocities.org/blog/learning-kana-in-two-days.html
realkana is not effective btw.
>>
>>1249275
does Shadow of Forbidden Gods count? I kinda like it, even with stock assets
>>
>>1253253
i tried playing it as a kid. it was really janky and kinda confusing compared to other rts's i played at the time. maybe i was just retarded though.
>>
>>1257338
>Mandalore
>not Sseth
>>
>>1265470
Although a Sseth's version would be welcome I'd prefer someone to take an in-depth look like Mandalore. Portray the problems of development and its current state, show all the cool things and so on. It would have to be an Endless Space 2-tier video if it had to be Sseth.
>>
>>1259985
Isn't almost everything translated now?
>>
>>1253253
I actually have two of these games. The small cramped maps killed it for me.
>>
Elements of War is weird RTS that plays like world in conflict. The game takes place in rural America. Turns out some bad guy's are controlling weather machine.

The games is not bad. You get unquie unit's like helicopter that shoots fire balls. Sometime a tornado or storm will happen that effect the environment.

https://youtu.be/jCouCEGlHG8
>>
>>1253253
>>1265782
They seemingly made 4 of them
>>
>>1257909
Shadow Empire is nothing at all like Armageddon Empires. They share some themes and an attempt to model supply lines, thats it
>>
These are DS games btw:
>a lego strategy game similar to AoE/M with several different worlds
>rome strategy game similar to total war (though you could only set pre battle formations) with a decent amount of campaigns
>>
>>1267691
What are they called anon?
>>
Im not even sure if this qualifies as a strategy game but it did not age well (or wasnt ever good). Plays like a strawman against "roguelites"
>>
>>1267691
>looked up a list of nintendo ds strategy games
>endwar is there
such a weird thing
>>
>>1250862
Not really. Shadow Empire doesn't have deckbuilding, cards are just it's aesthetic for stratagems.

>>1250596
Their most major update with upgraded codebase, QOL and visual improvements and restored content cut from original release has been coming "soon" for ages, and while I believe they eventually get it out it feels like none of the few devs they have work with BR:ZE fulltime which is understandable, since you probably don't get bills paid with remaster of an early 2000s RTS.
>>
>>1250657
Just played one session of it and holy shit, it's very good. One problem is that the game often takes time to process your input. But aside from that, it's really fun.
>>1266174
True, Shadow Empire is one of those games I just get overwhelmed with the info and graphs at the start and drop it, even if I want to play it. Armageddon Empires, on the other hand, is pretty easy to pick up, though I did have to look in the manual how to move an army.
>>
bumping for interest
>>
File: cheatsheet.jpg (526 KB, 1676x1071)
526 KB
526 KB JPG
>>1250613
Still have it installed on my machine along with Armageddon Empires of course. Both are fucking great games but Solium Infernum really need to be played multiplayer to be good.
>>
>>1253211
I had this game. I'd make four player games controlling all four players and then let one guy win, so his level would go up. This took forever and had no measurable impact, but it was cool seeing that level go up on the menu.
>>
>>1265470
Sseth’s gimmick of being a Jew who panders to 4chan culture/steals jokes for shekels has grown old
>>
>>1249275
>>
File: BFscreen079.gif (75 KB, 627x665)
75 KB
75 KB GIF
>>1249275
>battleships forever
>>
>>1249275
>star wars galactic battleground
>>
File: Screenshot-3.png (40 KB, 640x480)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>1249275
>warlords 2
>>
File: swarm-assault_4.png (60 KB, 640x480)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
>>1249275
i really did play a lot of obscure garbage lmao.
>>
>>1257373
>almost 2023
>crime still isn't translated
fucks sake
>>
>>1274564
>warlords
good times
I remember spending vacations in my aunt palce and downloading bunch of old games from abadonware sites using dial up internet
>>
>>1274561
This never got finished, did it
>>
>>1274620
pretty sure no.
I have heard it has a lot of mods though.
>>
Haven't seen War Wind mentioned yet. First saw this baby in a PC Gamer magazine when I was a kid.
>>
>>1260087
bro it's not that deep lmao don't be takin ish so serious ong
>>
Anyone know the name of that game in which you played as Vlad the Impaler and it would start out as an rts but then it would become turn based gsg? I think that it got distributed by AOL, or some shit like that. I don't have any image of it
>>
>>1276876
Vlad Tepes Dracula/Dracula: Reign of Terror?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.