[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 41 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 19th Birthday 4chan!

File: china infantry general.png (335 KB, 353x420)
335 KB
335 KB PNG
>no tanks
>only vehicle capable of healing friendlies costs over 2k and is as fragile as a jeep
>still has no fast attack units (except migs)
>can be easily beaten if your opponent is toxin or spams pathfnders
>no emergency repair ability
>main attack vehicle has less armor than a scorpion
there's hardly any saving graces here. he's just fucking bad.
>>
then why the FUCK is he so meta
>>
>>1197099
And yet he's still the best general. Hmm really makes you think.
>>
>>1197099
Yeah, he's weird. I thought he would suck from relying so much on infantry in a game where 4/5 units counter or resist infantry but no, he just face rolls so much of the competition.
>>
>>1197099
>play as toxin general vs infantry hard AI
>fantasize how I'm gonna curbstomp the bugs
>lose in 10 minutes
>>
>>1197099
>powerful infantry
>in game where rocket and transpo killsquads reign supreme (see rockvees and rpgtechs)
>where gattling attacks can delete planes, rip light vehicles and swarm tanks
>bad
Have you ever played against humans? Shit gets whacky real quick when burton-lites paired with transpo can hold points against everything.
>>
i want to play this game but i dont see how. i dont want to pirate
>>
>>1197099
How do i play this nowadays?
>>
>>1197371
>i dont want to pirate
faggot
>>
>>1197375
im too rich to pirate
>>
>>1197398
Then buy a physical copy online.
>>
>>1197420
physical ?
>>
>>1197432
Yeah, Generals/Zero Hour hasn’t seen a digital release, save for the Ultimate Collection on Origin
>>
>>1197432
Yeah, a disk. Computers still come with disk drives, right?
>>
>>1197435
no they don't
>>
>>1197440
Well you'll have to buy a disk drive as well, then. And whatever adapter you need to connect it if the PC doesn't come with the appropriate ports.
>>
>>1197469
Don't forget to buy a license for the recommended OS to play the game on, too!
>>
>>1197371
>doesnt already own a copy
>doesnt know how to pirate
zoom zoom
>>
i literally have not used my disk drive in 10 years
>>
>>1197482
i used to pirate when i was younger but now im too old and gay to bother. i think i actually pirated generals once but i guess i thought the camera was too close to the action or something and gave up
>>
>>1197487
You're retarded, got it.
>>
>>1197180
Turns out making your cheapest unit into your strongest unit does a lot to help.
Doesn't he also have a much better economy and anti-air defense than other Chinas? When you can outdo your counters with much better units cost per cost it doesn't really matter than everything counters you.
>>
>>1197480
An outdated OS is cheap, though. Might as well buy an old rig while you're at it. But that's more of a problem of table space than price since most people tend to fill their desks with junk no matter the size.
>>
>>1197487
>i thought the camera was too close to the action or something
makes sense when a base can be multiple screens wide. The main building alone is about 30% the width of the screen. The Scud impact takes up the whole screen on it's own. So yeah, could do with a zoom out.

Doesn't stop me form playing it regardless.
>>
>>1197212
what are you talking about? it's a well known fact that air is the strongest in the game, with gla stealth and tox close behind (in no particular order). inf is the best china, but that's a very low bar.
>>
>>1197368
gla players can just spam quads and kill helixes extremely fast especially when they have the AP bullets upgrade. helixes take a long time to build and put soldiers into.
>>
>>1197440
Usb DVD drive
Game is like $86 on Amazon bt I'll sell you my copy for way less.
Or just buy ultimate collection or download some Fatboyminers.
>>
>putting infantry, especially rockets is meta
>heh, this general who has the strongest infantry is weak :)
found the retard who never played multiplayer
>>
>>1197930
infantry aren't typically a threat in rts games. vehicles are. The most effective ways to use inf in generals involve garrisoning them in either fireport vehicles or structures. they're not that good otherwise.
>>
>>1197983
They're glass cannons. Very good when protected inside other stuff.
>>
>>1197986
if you're in a team game an assault crawler loaded with missile defenders and pathfinders is a nightmare to deal with
>>
>>1197497
>Doesn't he also have a much better economy and anti-air defense than other Chinas?
Yeah, it's pretty funny when your minigunners are just walking to the opponent's base, some aircraft fly overhead and suddenly the enemy is down $5000+ cash.

It hits different than other generals because the minigunners are just your basic unit.
>>
>>1198158
Against certain factions in certain matchups, even dedicated AA vehicles aren't as good as a handful of minigunners when it comes to AA. Like, Airforce its broken ass point defense lasers gets its shit absolutely shredded, Helixes and Chinooks die like flies, Nuke Migs can't even get close enough to lob their shit without getting destroyed, vanilla China Napalm also eats shit. It's ridiculeous. Most if not all of these units cost anywhere from 950+ upwards to 2.000 per and it doesn't take that much to bring them down with just minis.
>>
really annoying how stealth went from one of the strongest armies in the original game to one of the worst in shockwave. against vanilla usa you have no fucking chance. all he has to do is spam paladins and scout drones. hijackers don't work, and your tank missiles don't do anything because of the paladin laser.
>>
>>1198169
Stealth tanks in shockwave are actually alright, try using them alongside recoilless troops and sniper gats. Don't forget that you're supposed to be spamming tunnels everywhere indiscriminately.
>spamming scout drones
lmao those die to literally anything what are you doing? The biggest issue against plain USA is LOSATS (which are strat tech), Palas (which your infantry murders, not RPGs though), Walkers (which your gats murder) and standard rockvee formations, which if you've ever played GLA you already know how to counter.
Like for fucks sakes make sure to do techRPG rushes in the opening stages of the conflict and you'll be alright. Don't let the USA turtle enough that they can get enough of an eco to make palas they're still insanely expensive.
If on teamgame just turtle lol. The only base more cancer to attack than stealth is Nuke China and that's even if they got Migs and GPS scrambler is only level 3 and insanely devastating with light tanks or Buses. Don't forget to field snipers and don't forget saboteurs can go through any terrain unhindered like a budget Burton.
>>
>>1197983
I meant saying
>putting infantry, especially rockets in vehicles is meta
>>
>>1197983
Is GLA infantry the outlier? RPGs function better out in the open by transporting the infantry with technicals before unloading it to its destination rather than using fireports, their rockets are quite devastating to light vehicles and supply collectors as well.
I've also had much success with USA Missile Defenders with their Laser ability, which is able to kill basically everything in seconds after locking in, including ECMs and Flame tanks, faster than they can deflect/flame barrage and with a significant distance advantage even without S&D. Even without using Humvee fireports, they're surprisingly tough and deadly when microed.

Generals is a lot different compared to other C&C games. I don't think there's any other C&C game except perhaps C&C3 where tanks and vehicles are as weak as they are in Generals in comparison with infantry.
>>
>>1198236
yes

>>1198243
terrorists transported in technicals can turn the tide of a match if used correctly, but rebels suck. don't ever use them in combat.
>>
>>1197497
Couple dudes is like a gatling cannon on automatic full speed.
>>1197850
Minigunners shred king raptors for half the price and space.
Only way to win is with sniper spam.
>>
>>1198243
>I don't think there's any other C&C game except perhaps C&C3 where tanks and vehicles are as weak as they are in Generals in comparison with infantry
RA3?
>>
>>1197371
Just buy on Origin then?
>>
>>1200319
keep shlling your shitty corporate fucking retard

just torrent & play on radminVPN

Origin version has shitty mod compatibility

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:f6128d3c0113d35937c623ac8e36429632623e53&dn=Command%20and%20Conquer%20Generals%20-%20Zero%20Hour
>>
>>1197099
That Shockwave mod fixes him to be more useful.
>>
>>1200293
That isn't a C&C game.
>>
>>1197368
Wait infantry can shoot out of technicals? wtf what about troop crawlers t.hasn't played in over 10 years
>>
>>1200420
Infantry can shoot out of
>Humvees
>Listening Outpost trucks
>Battle Buses
>Combat Chinooks
>Helixes
and a few other units with Fireports.
They can't shoot out of Technicals, they're best transported and deployed from technicals to reach an advantageous point from which they can strike best. GLA's best earlygame strategy and most likely opening move is to nab some free RPG troopers from constructed tunnels or Terrorists from the barracks, load them up in a cheap ass Technical because of its speed and drop them in on the enemy base to cause havoc.
>>
>>1200293
Both Tsunamis and Mirages shit on infantry, and AT infantry don't have absolutely broken amounts of range and DPS.
>>1200416
More of a C&C game than Generals could ever hope to be.
>>
>>1200364
he's OP in shockwave just because they gave him tanks. they're not amazing, but at least they're cheap, broadcast propaganda, and can attack.
>>
>>1200420
technicals don't have fireports
>>
>>1200420
Probably meant battle bus.
>>
>>1197099
His troop crawlers rape all similarly armoured vehicles and aircraft and they spot pathfinders. Blow them up and the guys inside shooting out come out instead of dying unlike humvees. Also, unlike tank general, he gets artillery so you have to be mobile. A smart infantry general is harder to counter than tank general.
>>
>>1200420
You can't shoot out of regular troop crawlers, but infantry general troop crawlers you can. Spamming troop crawlers is arguably the best way to spam minigunners for infantry general. Especially because they completely counter pathfinders and fuck up aircraft and any vehicle weaker than tanks.
>>
>>1200735
his tanks can only be used in support role for the propaganda, though. which is weird for a general with mass disposable infantry as main concept. it's usefull for his battle bunker overlord replacement maybe.
double barrel tank hunters are pure sex though. And do i recall it correctly his helixes now come with battle bunkers and can have propaganda towers on top of that?
>>
>>1201721
his overlord replacement isn't that good. the thing is useless unless its filled with tank hunters and minigunners, and because the vehicle itself is so cumbersome, it makes more sense just to use the infantry when they're not in the vehicle. against gla they're useless at least since they're so slow.
>>
>>1201721
>his tanks can only be used in support role for the propaganda
that's all he needed. imagine how useful assault crawlers would be if they costed 750 each and weren't so fragile.
>>
>>1197398
>w-waaaaah I'm too r-rich to pirate waaaaah I gargle cum all day *glub glub glub*
double faggot
>>
>>1201745
>his overlord replacement isn't that good.
true, it's not worth the effort really
>useless unless its filled with tank hunters and minigunners
i see no real reason to put minigunners in it. it comes with a gattling built on it, it fits 8 double barrelled tank hunters which is good enough against infantry and flying stuff most of the time. i'd rather mix some gatling tanks into it.
>vehicle itself is so cumbersome
yes absolutely. also i find it way too expensive at 1500 plus 2800 for 8 tankhunters.
>>1201748
>how useful assault crawlers would be if they costed 750 each
i just checked, an assault crawler in shockwave comes with 8 minigunners for 2300. since you pay 550 for 2 of them, you get 2200 in minigunners alone and pay 100 for the vecicle itself, which offers speed and propaganda bonus. That is a good price for what it offers. To make it cheaper it would have to either come empty / only partly filled (like hack vans) or offer fewer seats overall. Or maybe split the function into two different vehicles, make the gatling apc fireported for example.
>>
>>1202179
you need minigunners in it because tank hunter rockets are too slow to catch up with most jets. also you can combine it with the infantry drop power since it gives you free minigunners + tank hunters. also gatling apc is trash. dies way too easily and just 2 cheap minigunners have just as much damage.
>>
Should I play RotR or Shockwave first?
>>
>>1204713
Shockwave
>>
>>1204713
never play rotr
>>
>>1204733
why? my only problem with it is how the chinese team is underpowered yet again. it seems like no matter how many mods get made, china is always shit. they were the spam faction in the original game, and they're still the spam faction in rotr. nothing special about them.
>>
>>1204745
poorly optimized
you need at least 4ghz per core to run smoothly 2v2 since base ZH can only use 1 core

gameplay is shit & concept art especially for the new 2 factions are often overcooked
>>
>>1204745
china has the best artillery and heavy anti air vehicles in the game
>>
>>1204758
after releasing two images of new units after 7 years the mod died again
>>
>>1204764
fuck rise of the reds. they said that china won't have overlords in the final version (except for one general) because russia basically filled the role of a brute force faction with heavy tanks, which is what china used to be. they gave a bullshit lore reason too and said that overlords had the highest casualty rate among chinese vehicles in the gla war so china doesn't want to use them anymore.
>>
>>1204859
Overlords never really fitted China anyway (Except Tank Gen).
>>1204764
In vanilla they also have the best artillery (Infernos are disgusting when properly micro'd and have insane range despite their tendency to suicide into the enemy when told to attack) and best anti-air by far. China is more about cheap versitality than cheap bruteforce.
>>
>>1204871
infernos are terrible in the base game. they're ironically more useful in rotr for some reason, and will even destroy whole tank columns if you spam enough of them. they also announced that ECMs are going to be exclusive to only one chinese general, and it's a different general from the one who has the overlords. the mod's balance is fucked.
>>
>>1204874
>no ECMs
Lel what the fuck are they thinking? ECMs actually should be factionwide for China as tech units. They have no way to counter mass rocket spam from GLA, Russian Kornet tank spam, USAF mass ATGM/Raptor or Faustspam from ECA.
It's funny that Infernos are light arti for China in RotR, also no they're not completely useless in base game, they're just made of paper and have stupid dumb AI that needs to be micro'd. If positioned correctly and with force fire they can absolutely decimate armies and zone out vees and quads w/ black napalm. They do need to be defended though and it's unlikely they'll survive contineous engagements against an opponent that knows how deadly yet easy to tumble they are.
>>
>>1204880
i'm not making it up. they said ECM tanks are going to be a general Mau exclusive, who is the only china general that focuses on brute force and nukes (so he's going to be my favorite). the others aren't going to get ecm tanks but will probably get some other form of missile defense. without it, trying to fight gla is impossible.
>>
>>1204880
also panzerfaust rockets are unguided so they're not affected by ecm
>>
>>1204885
GLA rockets are also not supposed to be guided, considering they're basically just scrounged up and dusty russian RPG-7's, yet they are affected by ECM which is weird isn't it?
ECA is already a tough nut to crack without something to disable defenses from a distance and disrupt their endless mortar spam. Nevermind their potent early and mid game APC/bunker/warhound/mortarIFV pushes because of their surprisingly strong infantry if the map's small enough to warrant it. The only thing they're lacking on is having decent tanks, they're even worse than USA at that despite having more base range and actual anti-infantry measures with cheap garrisonable riflemen.
>>
>>1204895
everyone who plays online says eca is a joke
>>
>>1204897
Have they tried actually doing an early timing attack? The APC actually has enough armor and health to let about 3-4 fausts to tank a gat, a firebase, a tunnel (and it can kill the RPGs because it has a mounted MG) or that 1k russian AA/AI turret enough to kill them before dying and they come out surprisingly quickly out of a Field Command. The warhound's mortar can shoot from outside the range of early Russian and Chinese defenses as well and repairs itself and everything around it. Medics actually make it difficult to punish assaults from ECA because they return the full cost of the infantry that die around them alongside healing them.
ECA is a joke until they're not. Bunkers cost stupidly cheap and any chokepoint or strategically placed building is begging to become a deathzone of panzerfausts.

Only problem is early game they either have power and no money, or too much money to spend and no power to produce as fast as they could. If they don't setup a defense asap they're pretty much dead though.
>>
>>1204898
i've watched a lot of games between the modmakers where one is eca and the other is gla or something. twice i saw the gla player won because he recycled the eca tech and got that overpowered microwave vehicle, and the other game the eca player won because he made it to rank 5, got a pandora, and just laid waste to the other guy. the gla player still managed to destroy the pandora like 5 times though. if you're against russia and it goes lategame, all he has to do is get a bunch of sentinels together with anti air, and you have no chance.
>>
>>1204900
I frankly think lategame as ECA is a mistake unless you can find an opponent stupid enough to feed you level 5 or let you setup enough mortar pits and cannons that assaults to your base are just an exercise in futility. ECA is strongest at its midgame when it can field a fuckfiesta of Pandurs filled with mortar troops, engineers and light AA flak cannons. It's microintensive but filling APCs and making them drop pockets of troops to accompany the army is essential for ECA to screen and defend their terribly weak forces. Their secondary eco is honestly just as garbage as base game's China and too costly, but if they get 3+ expansions properly setup and defended, power, infantry body armor, vehicle armor skirts and a war factory, they're quite a threat. Of course, most of this hinges on the enemy letting ECA even get to that point or playing in a map that allows ECA to do this without some significant disadvantages.
Also, have they even used dogs for anti-infantry? They're disgusting when they have the infantry armor upgrade and although not as strong as GLA melee infantry, they're still a menace for the rest of the matchups for denying engi caps.
>>
>>1204903
dogs are similar to the gla machete runners since they instakill infantry but lose their use pretty quickly. you cant use them later in the game. also i think eca needs to last until lategame to be useful since you need the protocols more than anything.
>>
>>1204907
I mean. The protocols are strong, specially the infantry protocol is absolutely bonkers making their infantry zoom across the map and delete things, but you can close it out earlier with Pandurs if you take some good engagements as an average ECA army melts defenses pretty easily from a safe distance, cucks tunnel pops and remains decently mobile as well. Yes their tank sucks but you also have Panzerfausts that not only counter tanks but also garrisoned infantry with vacuum warheads (and why wouldn't you get that upgrade, all your 100$ infantry become AA). The biggest issue is the sheer amount of shit you have to do in the early game bogging you down and the fact that they don't get power for a while if they sell their CC, which is kinda essential for some early game plays.
>>
>>1204912
i never use the infantry protocol. i usually use the manticore one since i always want a group of tanks together and it allows you to give them more armor. the pandora one is too strong i think so i'll use that if i just don't feel like trying and want to superweapon spam.
>>
>>1204914
Manticore feels hit or miss. The added armor won't stop your tanks from getting popped, although it does add at least 1 or 2 extra hits before that happens which helps a little bit. The supertank is too slow to be of value and the speed module, although decent, isn't necessary if the mayority of your force is already just IFVs which don't benefit from it. Kinda good if you want to mix in some extra tanks in your formation with the range upgrade and some repair IFVs but it's rather weak...
Infantry protocol makes dogs literally zoom through a large map in half a second. Makes engineers actually threatening flanking or capping shit that would have been reactable otherwise. Panzerfausts squads are an absolute menace. Any garrisonable building is just yours for the taking no matter where it is on the map. You can actually reposition grenadiers HMGs and snipers to places that are insanely valuable fairly quickly and you also get jumpjet infantry (although it sucks, don't build it, stick to basic inf and panzerfausts). It makes your army THAT much more threatening when you can just pump 6 pioneers out of a set of barracks and have them hit the front in half a second or less without transports in a big map, and be backed up by fausts or felins just as fast as well. Works best with an already established economy though, not as useful if you're broke as fuck by the time it hits and having to rely on ECA's expensive and fragile secondary eco is cancer.
Pandora is so-so. The superunit is actually broken as fuck and a win scenario unlike in the other two protocols, but the rest of your army with the exception of artillery tends to be lackluster for the investment and easy to rushdown if you're already behind.
>>
>>1204940
i die laughing everytime the ai has a pandora and tries to shoot over a tall building, blowing itself up in the process
>>
>>1204941
Hehe. Careful with neutronic nukes. They can be quite spicy!
The guy piloting it doesn't beg for forgiveness to his children for nothing.
>>
>>1204947
whats the most annoying unit in the mod? even after years of playing, i still have to say grads. they give the gla way more firepower than they should have, have a broken amount of range, and can collect salvage to make them even better. as russia they're not that bad because you can just arena towers to block their missiles and kill them with helicopters, but ecm doesn't deflect them. you can barely use aircraft against gla at all because of bullshit stinger jarmen.
>>
>>1204950
Yeah Grads, are pretty high on the list. GLA Bikes too, with rocketeers, outrange most tanks and deal disgusting amount of damage, even if they die to absolutely nothing being blown towards them, it's still a fucking mess to deal with when they can sit like psudo arti behind a tank or quad blob and wear down your army or snipe your repair units.
Actually, most of GLA's shit is overpowered in RotR. It's actually kinda silly seeing a russian push get out-muscled by salvaged equipment having way more range and damage than the 'newer' stuff.
>>
>>1204963
it's not really the fact that gla shit is overpowered, it's just really cheap and easy to get a huge number of them even without power plants. even epic units like blackbears can be easily killed and swarmed by scorpions, marauders, bikes, and so on.
>>
>>1204966
It's not just that they get them cheaper. What used to be a general's power is now a basic upgrade for the black market, which although it can't be spammed everywhere anymore, it can generate a lot more income than you'd ever need by itself. This ontop of all the mobility and versitality that GLA gets AND now they get a free radar van at the start too, which stays cloaked and reveals stealth too? Give me a break.
>>
generals was never good and has the worst balance in the series
>>
>>1200344
Not that anon but thanks for the torrent
Assuming it's the right one, anyway
If it's dolphin porn then fuck you
>>
>>1205138
dolphin porn is in ra2 & 3 retard
>>
>>1205437
Yeah so fuck that
I already have those
>>
File: dolphin open mouth.jpg (215 KB, 2000x1124)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>1205440
What's wrong big boy? Never had your cock sucked by a dolphin before?
>>
>>1200420
You drop the rpgs when you want to attack. It isnt as flexible as rockvees but it is certainly faster and deadlier than tanks.
>>
china will grow larger
>>
every mod for this game sucks

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.